Type keyword(s) to search

Making Ina's Recipes at Home: How Easy is That?

• Start Topic

If you google "Barefoot Contessa Make Ahead Gravy" the first two results are on foodnetwork.com. The first recipe specifies "defatted turkey drippings plus chicken stock to make 2 cups". The second just says to use two cups of chicken stock. In general, when I make roast chicken and want gravy to go with it, I make the gravy from stock, then add the browned drippings from the bottom of the roasting pan to improve the color and flavor. When I make a turkey for Thanksgiving, I buy a couple of turkey wings and roast them a few days ahead, then make stock from them and use it to make gravy.

• Love 3

My mother had a friend...and this was several decades ago...that "sacrificed" a turkey with gravy in order to prepare for the next d0-ahead turkey gravy. She just had to do this once, of course. She made gravy the next day and it was ready for the next turkey, and on and on.

I can see how this would work out well because once I did T-Day years ago and could not get over the last minute commotion in my kitchen. My turkey and home made croissants, finding bowls for salads, someone mashing potatoes, my grandmother making the gravy, and someone whipping cream. Good Grief! And let's not forget the other sides, appetizers, pies. Let alone when families start to blend when the kids grow up and other family traditions enter in.

And blessed are those with 2 ovens!

• Love 2

I made Thanksgiving one year at my parents house and invited friends of mine that were in the middle of moving. Somehow in the stress of making the gravy I made the mistake of adding orange juice instead of milk. I carried on, added the milk, and the gravy was delicious!

ETA: Where I grew up in PA, gravy was made with fat, flour, stock, and milk.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 2

I've done turkey gravy ahead of time by making a good stock from turkey wings browned then braised with aromatics (celery, onions, carrots, bay leaf, peppercorns) and water for several hours and de-fatted. You can make an appropriate amount of roux (oil or butter plus flour) for the turkey stock, adding it and adjusting the seasoning, to get a good base for the turkey gravy.  Then add drippings to boost the turkey flavor. 

• Love 1

I'm not enthused by the idea of gravy without drippings, and am rather surprised Ina has such a recipe.  The ones of hers I found call for drippings, so it seems an anomaly.

We take the motorhome out each year for Thanksgiving, and do a turkey breast on the charcoal grill (deboned and rolled, brined and then basted with butter while cooking), so there are no drippings from that.  But we get some turkey wings and/or legs to cook for the drippings in order to make gravy.  There must be drippings!  We don't make a special turkey stock, though; (homemade) chicken stock works just fine when added to the drippings.

Edited by Bastet

I've decided to get some chicken parts (wings and drumsticks) and make my gravy the day before Thanksgiving.  No more of Ina's "chicken stock gravy."  While I love Ina's recipes, this one just hasn't done it for me.  These comments have been interesting, I think.  We all seem to have slightly different methods, but we seem to get that gravy on the table.  Thanks for the input.

Thanksgiving week is always such a short 'work week' (and, frankly, no one really gets much work done that week), so I was thinking of bringing in some food for everyone to snack on in the staff lounge.  I might try a couple of new recipes for 'snack mix', flavored crackers, and the like.  But, I have been wanting to bring Ina's Easy Apple and Cranberry Cake for everyone to try.  But since we have a reasonably large staff I thought about doubling the recipe and making it in a large pan instead of the tart pan that the original recipe calls for.  I'm wondering if it will still cook okay, as long as I check it periodically to make sure that it cooks through without overbrowning.  Have any of you every made a larger version of that recipe?

I don't make pies because I don't care for cooked fruit, so I have no personal experience, but I've had two people in as many weeks tell me they tried Ina's "perfect pie crust" recipe and had it fall apart on them.  Any similar experiences among the pie bakers of the group?  They put the diced butter back in the fridge to keep it cold, wrapped and refrigerated the ball of dough, rolled it out, and everything in between per the recipe, but when they went to pick it up to put it in the pie pan is when it went to hell for both of them.

BooksRule, I've never doubled this recipe -- I'm not confident about doubling recipes for baking because adjusting the time can be tricky.  So instead of making 1 double batch of cake, bread, etc., I make 2 (or more) single batches -- no more trouble to prepare, & it's often easier to handle 2 regular size pans/serving dishes than 1 big one. 

3pwood, I probably will just make two of the recipe instead of doubling it (just to be safe).  I was just thinking that I only had one pan, but I know I made it last time in a deep dish pie plate and I'm pretty sure I have a tart dish stashed somewhere.

All this talk about gravy makes me want to attempt gravy-from-scratch this year.

I don't make pies because I don't care for cooked fruit, so I have no personal experience, but I've had two people in as many weeks tell me they tried Ina's "perfect pie crust" recipe and had it fall apart on them.  Any similar experiences among the pie bakers of the group?  They put the diced butter back in the fridge to keep it cold, wrapped and refrigerated the ball of dough, rolled it out, and everything in between per the recipe, but when they went to pick it up to put it in the pie pan is when it went to hell for both of them.

Wow! My first (best) guess is that they didn't use a sugar with a fine enough grain. They might want to try it with baker's sugar instead of regular granulated sugar. I prefer an unsweetened crust, though, so I don't tend to use Ina's recipe.

Since we're coming up on comfort food season and the holidays I thought I'd share this recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/cauliflower-gratin-recipe.html#!

I've made this for pot luck and love it because it's pretty simple, travels well, is rich and comforting (it's Ina so not a diet food), and there have never, ever been left-overs... including the people who thought they didn't like cauliflower and went for second servings. :) If you can find rennet-free gruyere then this is also a great option for vegetarians. As per usual freshly grated nutmeg is best but honestly it would work just fine with store bought. This has become one of my go-to winter side dishes because I've actually had requests.

I'll pass along the sugar suggestion, thanks; I'm sure they both just used “regular” sugar.  (I had no idea the texture of a mere tablespoon of sugar could take down a whole crust.)

I’ve made that cauliflower gratin, and agree it’s delicious.  Of course, I like cauliflower, but it has so much creamy cheesy goodness going on I don’t think that’s a requirement for enjoying it.

I'll pass along the sugar suggestion, thanks; I'm sure they both just used “regular” sugar.  (I had no idea the texture of a mere tablespoon of sugar could take down a whole crust.)

Yeah, I don't know if the sugar is the real issue but it would be an adjustment (assuming they're doing everything else right). If your friends like a sweetened crust they may want to try an Amish or Mennonite recipe - those folks don't fool around when it comes to baked goods! And I'm pretty sure they use regular old sugar. :)

Looking at Ina's pie crust recipe, I think it uses more flour and less fat than my recipe. I don't know if the sugar would have any effect, but I use a teaspoon and Ina uses a tablespoon, so maybe that makes a difference? I usually use the pie crust recipe from The Joy Of Cooking and it hasn't failed me yet.

LOL I just realized I didn't clarify whether the crust falls apart because it's so elastic that it tears, or because it's so dry that it cracks, or just separates all over. Different issues. Anyway, I second the Joy of Cooking recipe or a lot of the old standbys. For some reason people think a pie crust is more daunting than it really is. Although i had one disaster and to this day I blame the package of flour. :)

If it wound up in pieces, then I would say perhaps there wasn't enough water to bind it?  But if there wasn't enough water to bind it, it would have been evident when they rolled it out. 

I'm going to need photographs and a forensic team.

• Love 1

Yeah, that’s what was weird – that it looked normal when rolled out, but then fell apart when picked up to be placed in the pie pan.  I didn’t think anything of it until a second person had the same tale of woe.

Yeah, I don't know if the sugar is the real issue but it would be an adjustment (assuming they're doing everything else right). If your friends like a sweetened crust they may want to try an Amish or Mennonite recipe - those folks don't fool around when it comes to baked goods! And I'm pretty sure they use regular old sugar. :)

I'm not a successful pie crust maker but I thought someone might benefit from checking out this wonderful website:

http://mennonitegirlscancookpiesandpastry.blogspot.ca/

• Love 2

I have mulled this pie crust problem over and over, and it seems to me that sugar has nothing to do with it falling apart.  I've made pies since I was 10 years old, and it just doesn't make sense to me.  Knowing exactly how it falls apart would be helpful.  Does it crumble, or does it tear?  Assuming that it crumbles when it's lifted tells me that a teaspoon or so of water would solve the problem.  I've never tried Ina's crust recipe because I don't like shortening in my crusts, but I imagine her recipe isn't the problem.  It's unusual that two people have the same issue.

Edited by Lura

I don't know, as I wasn't there for either one.  I first had one person tell me they tried Ina's recipe and it fell apart on them, which didn't really register in my mind until a week or so later when a second person happened to tell me the same thing.  One threw it out and gave up, and the other one pulled out a frozen (pre-made) crust to use as the bottom and turned the remnants of Ina's into the top criss-cross strips of an apple pie.

So, tore?  But to the extent it couldn't just be patched back together?  Crumbled into many pieces?  I don't know; as I said, I don't make pies as I don't like fruit to be cooked, so I'm not familiar with the process, and I just didn't care enough to ask for details at the time.  Probably too dry, I'd imagine, I just thought it was funny to have two people in as many weeks have the same issue, at the same stage of the process, with the same pie crust recipe so I figured I'd see if this was something like the HVPoD and its known issues rather than an operator error.  Since no one else has experienced the same, I'll assume it's the latter and just a coincidence, but next time I talk with either one, I'll ask.

Edited by Bastet

Bringing it back to gravy- has anyone made Ina's homemade gravy with cognac? It is basically cooking down a lot of onions, making a roux & adding chicken stock & cognac & cream. I have to make a large amount of gravy for a charity event & won't have nearly enough drippings to make enough gravy, so I was thinking of using this. Any reviews would be appreciated; thanks. And Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I can't say I've made Ina's exact recipe, however I have whipped up a quick gravy by doing something similar with sauteed onions, flour, and some kind of stock. I think it'd be perfect in large batches when you might not actually have enough turkey drippings. You might be missing some of that turkey flavor, but I would think the cognac would make anyone forget about it. 

Bringing it back to gravy- has anyone made Ina's homemade gravy with cognac? It is basically cooking down a lot of onions, making a roux & adding chicken stock & cognac & cream. I have to make a large amount of gravy for a charity event & won't have nearly enough drippings to make enough gravy, so I was thinking of using this. Any reviews would be appreciated; thanks. And Happy Thanksgiving to all!

I make it all the time, but I exclude the cognac. Very delicious. 

I've never made it, but you might want to browse through the comments on the Food Network site, which are almost 100% enthusiastic & point out some variations that worked well for the viewers, e.g.:  with/without cognac, wine, cream, drippings; chunky onions vs. pureed or strained; vegetarian & beef versions; etc.  Sounds like a versatile recipe that can easily be made ahead & frozen for convenience.

• Love 1

My mom made the best gravy I've ever tasted.  In fact, guests would remark about how flavorful it was.  Yet, she only used a flour and water slurry and pan drippings -- no milk or cream, no cognac, nothing else at all.  I've noticed that everyone on the FN seems to add milk or cream to it and sometimes herbs.  Do you use milk or cream in your gravy, and why?  I'm sure it must add a richness to it, but then why was my mother's gravy so admired by others?  I've always made my gravy the same way she did, and I never noticed the addition of cream until recently.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

I only add milk or cream if I'm making a milk gravy.  If it's something made from pan juices I may deglaze with a little sherry, marsala, or cognac, for additional flavor depending on the dish.  The thickening method I use will vary with the dish, too, and how much richness I want.  Sometimes I want just a flour slurry.   Other times I make a roux out of the rendered fat.  On occasion I'll use a beurre manie to thicken, but it's usually when I don't have adequate fat drippings or when I want a richer tasting sauce.

* Edited to add:  I don't think there is anything wrong with adding a splash of cream to finish the gravy - it's what a lot of better restaurants will do.  For me and my, er, more delicate digestive system, I have to be careful how rich and fatty the food is.  Because of that I tend to minimize the fat whenever possible.

Edited by anneofcleves

When I make gravy, I don't use any milk or cream. Years ago, I used to use my dad's slurry method. Then, at some point, my mom started making gravy with roux + broth + pan drippings and I started doing that. This was actually a topic of discussion at my workplace recently. One of my coworkers commented on my chicken pot pie and I told her how I made the gravy. She said she had never heard of making gravy without adding milk and she can't eat dairy products, so she hadn't made gravy in years. I think I originally found the formula I use in The Joy of Cooking. Basically, it's two tablespoons of fat and two tablespoons of flour cooked together, then two cups of broth added. I add any pan drippings to that, or use more broth if I want it thinner, or let it cook longer if I want it thicker.

The two + two + two formula is also how I make white sauce to start off my macaroni and cheese. Two tablespoons of butter + two tablespoons of flour, cook a minute or two, then add two cups of milk and cook until it starts to thicken.

I made Ina's Salty Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies from Make It Ahead.  I hope they're good, it makes a huge batch.

Silly me, of course they're awesome.  I used dried cherries instead of cranberries. The pinch of Fleur de Sel is a nice touch, but, like most of Ina's recipes, the predominant flavour is butter.  It's a good thing.

Then, at some point, my mom started making gravy with roux + broth + pan drippings and I started doing that.

That's how I do it; I occasionally add some white wine or cognac, but I pretty much keep it simple -- a little bit of the fat from the drippings mixed with flour to make a roux, plus non-fat drippings and some chicken stock - and have never added milk.

Edited by Bastet

Vera, I think that your method comes the closest to mine.  I'm going to continue not to add milk or cream to my gravy because I honestly don't think I need it, although I'm convinced that it adds a touch of richness to the gravy.  I'm glad that you referred to "Joy of Cooking" because no matter how many cookbooks I accumulate, J of C is still my go-to cookbook, especially for basics. 

Glad I stumbled upon this thread.

I make Ina's Orange Baked Ham every Christmas.   So easy - I mix everything in the blender) and very, very good. 

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/orange-baked-ham-recipe.html

Another favorite in our house is her Dill Fingerling Potatoes

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/dill-fingerling-potatoes-recipe.html

Going to go back now and look at what all of you have tried : )

• Love 2

There you go again, Vera, thinking outside the box!  :)  That's a wonderful method of rolling the rugelach and saving time, especially at this time of the year.  I have to make those cookies!  They look so good in the picture and sound so good in the recipe.  Thanks, too, for the link.

I put together Ina's Sweet and Salty Pecans, and they are yummy!  They'd be great to serve to guests -- and so easy.

You're welcome, Lura. I hope you try them because they really are delicious. I really like Ina's cream cheese dough and rugelach is different enough from other cookies that it really stands out when there are lots of baked goods around.

In looking at the recipe again, I realized that, just as often as not, I substitute raspberry jam for apricot or use pecans and currants instead of walnuts and raisins. They are all delicious because it's the dough that really make these.

I'll be making Ina's brussels sprouts lardons (with bacon and raisins) as well as her spinach gratin over the holidays. I have an unhealthy affection for cheese and love spinach so I positively adore that gratin and the brussels sprouts recipe always gets raves, as well.

I'm making the spinach gratin this year, too - for Christmas Eve, to go with the prime rib.

I'm making Brussels sprouts for Christmas dinner (ham), but it's not an Ina recipe (although I make her version with pancetta and balsamic a lot).  My mom doesn’t much care for them, so I’m making an Emeril recipe  with walnuts and parmesan that I enjoy and have found good for people who need a little something with their Brussels sprouts in order to enjoy them. 

Remedial Thanksgiving question (my family has turkey for Christmas too, and this year it's at my house):  I normally make stock by throwing spare parts, herbs and aromatics on a pot with water.  This year the only spare parts I could get are turkey wings, plus the giblets.  It sounds like many of you roast the wings before cooking the stock?  Any instruction welcome. 

On a separate note, with crowd pleasers I've always had good luck with the 1770 House meatloaf that Ina showed off (or she cooked with the chef, can't remember).  People expect tomato and it's a nice surprise.  It's also not so dense as meatloaf can be.  That pastitsio recipe was a bit hit with my family, even though they are not adventurous. 

I bought marcona almonds to make Ina's thyme roasted marcona almonds (we ate them before I could even get the sheet pan out -- they are so good, just as is). Has anybody made them?  (If so -- worth it,  or just gilding the lily?) 

Two Ina recipes that I make again and again are the meatballs from her Italian wedding soup (I've only made the soup once, but I make those meatballs often) and her fruitcake cookies. I adjust the quantities of fruit, adding lots of figs for sweetness and cutting down the amount of apricots. I also add sunflower seeds to give it more of a trail mix effect. They're so good, and they keep nicely.

Have any of you ever made Ina's Oven Pancakes?  I'm watching a show from 2010 ('Cooking with friends') and she made a basic pancake batter and added some orange zest.  Then, she poured the batter into individual buttered gratin dishes and baked the pancakes.  They puffed up when done and she just served them with some sliced strawberries, raspberries and blueberries.  They looked delicious and probably tasted really good, but I always like getting reviews from everyone here.