Type keyword(s) to search

Making Ina's Recipes at Home: How Easy is That?

• Start Topic

See, I have always brought food for a family going through a death. BUT ... If I am close enough to ring their doorbell and drop off food, I will give them something that I have already made for them in the past. That I am fairly certain that they will like. For people that I "know" but don't REALLY know, Honey Baked Ham is my go-to.

And yes ... VeraCharles, can I have that cake even if no one dies? Please?

Have to say Alton Brown's Best Green Bean Casserole is really delicious.....and homemade without the soup, plus fresh green beans. I did however buy a Trader Joes's onions for the top.

• Love 1

LOL, I will have to ask my mom for the recipe for Funeral Cake. She makes it whenever there is a large gathering of people to eat it, so it's not just for funerals. I have had it as a sheet cake, layer cake, cupcakes - it's very versatile. I think the icing is an Ina recipe, I know my mom has mentioned that she puts espresso powder in the icing because Ina recommends it. I'll see what I can find out. :)

• Love 1

I made her Melting Cherry Tomatoes (look for "Salmon and ...") today. They were very easy and came out great even though I mistakenly used table salt instead of kosher and so were a bit saltier than I would have preferred, but that was on me. You could pair them with so many things.

However, in my circle, I am familiar with a dish called funeral potatoes which would probably cause your funeral if you ate enough of it. It is something ridiculous like thawed hash browns, mushroom soup, tons of cheese, crushed potato chips and I think drizzled with melted butter. How anyone ever came up with the idea of that dish is beyond me....probably a cardiologist.

Ah, the tasty potato casserole.  This is a staple in our household at Christmastime only (because, as you said, it is not cardio-friendly).  The recipe I use is similar, but it also includes sour cream (!), cream of chicken instead of mushroom and is topped with a mixture of melted butter and crushed corn flakes.  It (strangely enough) looks a lot like ambrosia salad while you're mixing it up (very white and orange--because of the potatoes and shredded cheddar cheese) and makes a huge delicious panful (and it is very good heated up as leftovers). 

I've never been a fan of green bean casserole (I don't care for mushroom soup and they've always looked too runny to me), but I've always wanted to try Alton Brown's recipe.  Maybe next holiday.

• Love 1

Stewed Squash, I don't know what causes your brisket to be grainy unless there is not enough liquid in it.  It really needs LOTS of liquid in order to cook through nicely.  I'd be glad to PM you my mom's recipe, which makes its own gravy.  (It's not that pot roast recipe with Lipton's onion sop that many of us make.)  You can eat it the same day you make it or make it today and serve it tomorrow.  Best brisket I've ever had.  PM me if you want it.

• Love 1

Surprised to hear that the fruitcake cookies aren't good, they certainly look beautiful & sound tasty. Thanks for the warning.

Just to offer another perspective, I make those fruitcake cookies regularly and really like them. I cut down the amount of apricots, increase the amount of figs, and add sunflower seeds to make it more like a trailmix cookie. I love them! And yes, the dough freezes very well.

Has anyone made Ina's recipe for fattoush?  It looks great so I think I'm going to try it.  It was in her email today.  I've got half a package of frozen naan that I think I'll bake (instead of buying pita) for this "experiment".

I haven't made Ina's fattoush but I have made Nigella's. The main difference I see between the recipes is that Ina adds chickpeas, which Nigella does not, and Ina adds basil. Either way, fattoush is a very good salad.

Glad I happened by to find out about new episodes. Not like FN publicizes the show or anything. :(

• Love 1

Just FYI, folks, I moved about 10 posts to the BC News thread that were strictly about the new episode/special airing. Not a huge deal, but try to remember that this thread is only for Ina's recipes. Thanks!

Stewed Squash, I don't know what causes your brisket to be grainy unless there is not enough liquid in it.  It really needs LOTS of liquid in order to cook through nicely.  I'd be glad to PM you my mom's recipe, which makes its own gravy.  (It's not that pot roast recipe with Lipton's onion sop that many of us make.)  You can eat it the same day you make it or make it today and serve it tomorrow.  Best brisket I've ever had.  PM me if you want it.

I'm still on the lookout for a good pot roast recipe. I'd love to try yours.

I made Ina's shrimp and orzo salad with feta for a friend who had her second surgery in 3 weeks - 1st was a hip replacement on the left. While doing pre-op x-rays they noticed she had a fracture in her right femur, and needed a rod inserted. She has many autoimmune diseases including rhumetoid arthritis, and has very fragile bones. I can't imagine going through that in such a short time frame. We had a lovely visit with her and her husbnad last night, and they loved the salad. Great thing about that recipe is that it makes a ton, so they'll have plenty if leftovers.

• Love 1

This afternoon I caught an old episode, the dress rehearsal one in which Ina made Baba au Rum and Ile Flottante while Miguel decorated two tables with huge floral centerpieces.  Anyway...I have a question about the Ile Flottante.  Instead of adding amaretto to the custard, could I add a little almond extract?

This afternoon I caught an old episode, the dress rehearsal one in which Ina made Baba au Rum and Ile Flottante while Miguel decorated two tables with huge floral centerpieces.  Anyway...I have a question about the Ile Flottante.  Instead of adding amaretto to the custard, could I add a little almond extract?

Is it that you don't want to buy a bottle of amaretto to get the almond flavor? If that's the case, if you buy an almond extract , I'd think you'd have to experiment with the amount, as I'd think the liquor would have a less concentrated almond flavor than the extract. If you're concerned about alcohol, both pure and synthetic extract  will have some alcohol in it.. As far as extract, America's Test Kitchen recommends Nielson-Massey.

• Love 1

I made Ina's shrimp and orzo salad with feta for a friend who had her second surgery in 3 weeks - 1st was a hip replacement on the left. While doing pre-op x-rays they noticed she had a fracture in her right femur, and needed a rod inserted. She has many autoimmune diseases including rhumetoid arthritis, and has very fragile bones. I can't imagine going through that in such a short time frame. We had a lovely visit with her and her husbnad last night, and they loved the salad. Great thing about that recipe is that it makes a ton, so they'll have plenty if leftovers.

I make Ina's shrimp & orzo salad at least once every summer for a party, & made it on Labor Day weekend for a BBQ I threw. It is, without fail, always the most popular item on the menu with my guests. So easy to make, light, fresh, & different. Plus, it makes a huge amount, so it's perfect for parties.

Late to the discussion regarding food & funerals. Here in Jersey the first thing we do is figure out what food we're making or ordering to be delivered to the bereaved. It's all about the food.

Lura, could I get your brisket recipe also? I've never made it & have been wanting to give it a go. Thanks!

Is it that you don't want to buy a bottle of amaretto to get the almond flavor?

You can buy the miniature bottles of most liqueurs, which are usually enough for one or more batches of a recipe.  The flavor of almond extract is too pronounced for my taste & it's easy to use too much.

• Love 2

@chessiegal & 3pwood:  I don't really like the taste of amaretto but do like almond extract flavoring (altho' not too much!). Hmmm....a puzzle for sure...maybe a teeny microscopic dot of almond extract? ;>)   I love Ile Flottante but never see it on menus (not even in Paris) except on a cruise on Princess a couple years ago.  That had to be one of the best desserts I've ever had.  As soon as the weather cools (gettin' closer) I'm making this.

Has anybody ever made Ina's Beef Bourguignon in a crockpot? My son has requested this for dinner during his next weekend home from college, but he's only going to be there Thursday through Saturday and I am working Thursday and Friday. If anyone has tried it, I'd love to hear what you did, how it went, and what you'd advise for and against. Thanks in advance!

Hi All -

I'm a huge Ina fan and am currently marathoning the show on You Tube (in addition to watching on FN) which is so fun but I have an observation.

There was a special Cheese episode that aired on FN and Ina made a dish called STRAW AND HAY.  When done, I thought, hey, this is Spaghetti Carbonara.  She also has made other dishes, I cannot remember which now, but after the episodes aired, I thought why is Ina renaming classic dishes?  And she doesn't reference the dishes she is altering or "Inaing."  I find it a bit odd but that's me.

Edited by caligirl50

Has anybody ever made Ina's Beef Bourguignon in a crockpot? My son has requested this for dinner during his next weekend home from college, but he's only going to be there Thursday through Saturday and I am working Thursday and Friday. If anyone has tried it, I'd love to hear what you did, how it went, and what you'd advise for and against. Thanks in advance!

I haven't done it in a crockpot, but could you do it overnight in the oven, maybe?  If you do it in the crockpot, I remember an episode of America's Test Kitchen where they discussed how they "engineered" recipes specifically for the crockpot because you retain a lot more moisture in the crockpot than on the stovetop or in the oven, even with a lid on.  So I would reduce the amount of liquid you put in.  I would also advise doing this recipe a day or more in advance, putting it in the fridge, then it's easy to skim the fat and it actually improves in flavor during that time.

Also, Ina has 2 BB recipes-one with filet, one with chuck.  I've never done the one with filet because I'm not independently wealthy, but the chuck is fantastic.  Just DO NOT use round, bottom round, stew meat, etc.  Buy the chuck and cut it up yourself.  

Thanks for the tips, larapu2000. I ended up making the recipe as Ina originally wrote it. Plans changed after I bought the mushrooms, so I didn't want to waste them! LOL I did use a chuck roast, which was delicious. I have seen the filet recipe but I would never make it. The whole point of any beef stew is to take a tough, flavorful cut of meat and cook it a long time, so it ends up tender and delicious. Filet is best suited to other methods.

• Love 2

A tip I got from watching America's Test Kitchen is to never use stew meat - you never know what pieces of beef your going to get.  Whereas with a chuck roast that you cut up yourself, you know that all the meat you are using is chuck.

This is a long time coming, but what I want to know is whether or not all of you who wanted it received the recipe for my mom's Beef Brisket.  Shortly after I posted the offer, I ran into some trouble and wound up in the hospital for a while.  By the time I was home, I forgot all about it.  (Sorry!)  Now, I seem to be seeing people requesting the recipe that I didn't know about.

PLEASE, if you want that recipe, PM me.  I'll try to PM it to you soon.

I miss you ladies, but I stopped coming in here often because I stopped watching Ina.  I just couldn't take all the re-runs, and I'm sure that all of you got tired of my complaints about it!  I still love Ina and miss her, so I keep waiting for new shows.

Incidentally, if you want to miss Ina more than ever, tune in to The Pioneer Woman.  One show of Ree Drummond, and you'll cry crocodile tears for Ina!  lol

• Love 1

This is a long time coming, but what I want to know is whether or not all of you who wanted it received the recipe for my mom's Beef Brisket.  Shortly after I posted the offer, I ran into some trouble and wound up in the hospital for a while.  By the time I was home, I forgot all about it.  (Sorry!)  Now, I seem to be seeing people requesting the recipe that I didn't know about.

PLEASE, if you want that recipe, PM me.  I'll try to PM it to you soon.

I miss you ladies, but I stopped coming in here often because I stopped watching Ina.  I just couldn't take all the re-runs, and I'm sure that all of you got tired of my complaints about it!  I still love Ina and miss her, so I keep waiting for new shows.

Incidentally, if you want to miss Ina more than ever, tune in to The Pioneer Woman.  One show of Ree Drummond, and you'll cry crocodile tears for Ina!  lol

Isn't THAT the truth...Ina makes delicious food...Ree only has hot dogs, quesadillas over and over and OVER..7 can soup and well yuck..

• Love 3

I made a scaled-down version of Ina's sausage and herb stuffing today and it was good.  The only problem was that it was a little too wet for my taste, probably because I added too much chicken broth (I upped the broth based on the reviews) and used bread that was too soft.  I can fix it--a little while under the broiler tomorrow should do the trick!

I made her rice pudding for the holiday. The creaminess was perfect. I switched up the flavorings a bit. I soaked raisins in bourbon instead of rum. I also threw in a cinnamon stick and cracked a few cardamom pods, along with a splash of maple syrup at the end. I'm not the best rice maker, so I was a little nervous, but this recipe was great! Recommend it.

3rd TG in a row that I have made Ina's Cranberry Conserve. This year my son declared that the sauce "won TG!" It's just that good. Today I am testing her Tres Leches cake recipe. I will make a strawberry sauce from frozen whole berries as fresh strawberries not too good this time of year. I hope it's a winner. I would like to wow a family party next weekend.

3rd TG in a row that I have made Ina's Cranberry Conserve. This year my son declared that the sauce "won TG!" It's just that good.

I just looked it up and it looks really good (and I have frozen cranberries in the freezer).  Question:  Do you serve it chilled like the recipe says?  I think it would be nice served warm.

The Tres Leches cake is fantastic! Family already requests for Christmas. I made it exactly as written except for the berries. Strawberries looked bad at store and I don't really like raspberries so I bought frozen whole unsweetened strawberries and cooked into a puréed sauce with 1/3c sugar and some vanilla. Refridged both the soaked cake and berry sauce, served next evening with fresh whipped cream. My sons called it pudding cake! It had a really nice flavor and though it would seem heavy it was not. I highly recommend!!!

Books rule: I make this the day ahead exactly as recipe is written. I set on dinner table 15-20 min before dinner time. I have only used fresh cranberries but think frozen unsweetened cranberries would work as well. You cook them down to mush either way.

Edited by CalicoskiesNC

One more comment on Ina's Tres Leches cake: amazing!!!! I am declaring this my signature dessert. Will make for every party/ potluck I can! Fresh whipped cream sometimes doesn't hold well so I did this on the 2nd one I made: (food snobs look away!) I mixed one box instant French vanilla pudding with 1 cup milk for 2 min then folded in 1 tub Cool Whip. I frosted the cake with this and served the strawberry sauce on the side. This cake is really THAT good. You almost can't stop eating it.

Ever since we saw Jon Favreau's character make Midnight Pasta in the movie "Chef", my husband has been after me to make it. When I went searching for a recipe, I was directed to Ina's Spaghetti Aglio E Olio, which is considered the gold standard. I was already started cooking when I realized I didn't have a whole pound of spaghetti, so I used gemelli instead and it worked great. It was great the night I made it and reheated well for lunch the next day. I highly recommend it.

http://www.barefootcontessa.com/recipes.aspx?RecipeID=863&S=0

Muchas gracias, CalicoskiesNC -- I'll try your trick when I try the cake.  The recipe doesn't seem to be on-line, but I see that it's from her Make It Ahead cookbook & I can get that at the library.  I've never even eaten a tres leches cake, much less baked one, but I've always thought it sounds good so now is the time to try it (but not until after Christmas when my schedule calms down). Good to know that everyone seems to love it.

Aglio e olio is how I eat spaghetti, so I checked out Ina's recipe after your post, vera charles.  It's very similar to how I've been making mine; I just use a little less oil and a little less parsley.  Some purists object to the Parmigiano-reggiano, but I love it.  I do omit it when I'm making a version with shrimp, though (I marinate shrimp in the same flavors of the pasta sauce).

As for tres leches cake, I love it.  I've never made one, but I've eaten many a slice in my day.

I've always loved open-face sandwiches, but most of my favorites were served hot with gravy, like turkey or beef with mashed potatoes.  When Ina went to Paris with her show, she opened up a new world for me with her tartine.  I love playing around with them and finding new ideas.  They make wonderful lunches, with or without soup.  My current favorite is spreading a piece of toast generously with mayo, then adding a piece of Romaine lettuce, Black Forest ham sliced thin, Gruyere or Cheddar cheese, a slice of tomato (lightly salted), and black olives.  My husband would gladly eat one of these a day!

BTW, I hope that all of you have a Happy New Year and that your 2016 will be filled with good health and happiness.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 2