Type keyword(s) to search

Making Ina's Recipes at Home: How Easy is That?

• Start Topic

I just finished making a devil's food sheet cake and frosted it with Ina's Peanut Butter frosting.  Yummy, and yummy some more!  I'm going to be very popular when I take that cake to work tomorrow.  I think I would have been just as popular if I would have just forgotten all about making the cake and just took a bowl of that frosting to work.  That stuff is good (and it looks pretty too-it comes out light tan and so fluffy).

• Love 3
(edited)

I'd recommend getting a food thermometer, and cooking it to 145 degrees F, recommended time for pork.

I'd go with Ina on this and set my food thermometer for 140 degrees.  While resting, under foil, the pork continues to "cook," and the temperature will rise to 145 or more.  I have used Ina's method of cooking pork for years, and it always results in a moist and tender roast that is safe to eat, as any harmful organisms are killed at 138 degrees F.

Edited, because spaces after commas are important.

Edited by orchidgal
  • Love 3

The Summer Garden Pasta recipe was featured in a recent rerun & I tried it today.  Instead of cherry tomatoes, I chopped full size ones from the garden -- no angel hair pasta, so used penne instead.  Extremely good & very easy -- strong garlic flavor, which is a plus for me.  This is a great way to deal with the sudden bursts of tomatoes & basil that tend to occur in a home garden.  

• Love 3

I took Ina's Coleslaw with Blue Cheese to a crab feed last weekend and received rave reviews! Only change I made was bagged coleslaw to avoid chopping myself, and I added candied pecans.

• Love 3
(edited)

I'm taking her watermelon arugula salad with the orange/lemon dressing with feta to a pot luck tomorrow. I'll let you know how it was received. But I'm thinking - how easy was that?

ETA: The salad was a huge hit!

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 5
(edited)

I don't generally have a problem keeping mine looking spiffy, but when I do get one of those stubborn brown spots, I use meat tenderizer (and water) to get it up. 

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 2

We had a party at our house this past weekend  and my daughter insisted that we have Ina's HVPD with mixed berries for the dessert.  As it turned out, I had been working on redoing her bathroom that week as well as getting ready for the party, so I delegated the job of making the dreaded Honey Vanilla Pound cake of Doom to my dearest daughter.  She is actually the baker in the family, so I felt comfortable in doing so.  She did have some fits with the pound cake, as it was far too wiggly at the minimum time, and yet not quite done, but looked dark at the maximum time.  I advised her to take it out then, knowing it would set up.  She did a good job and now understands why we call it the HVPD. 

• Love 4

I keep meaning to ask - on this show, and most others, their baking sheets and cooling racks look brand new, SIGH.

Is there a secret to this.....mine surely don't after roasting veggies, ie.

I'm pretty sure she starts with brand new sheets, etc. with each episode. Wouldn't you love that? Make it, toss it, get a new one!!

• Love 1

The best way to preserve those pans is parchment paper.  I use it constantly and my half-sheet pans look pretty great for being 5+ years old.

Her staff probably scours the heck out of them after each use, though, and I imagine she replaces them a lot more frequently than we do.

Was the farmer's potluck dinner a new episode?  I hadn't seen it before.  Everything looked very good, though the only thing that seemed somewhat different for her was the wheat berry salad.  For those who like chick peas, do you think that would be a nice addition to it?  I'm always on the lookout for great salads to take to work that have a complete protein.  It seems like it would be delicious served over a bed of mixed greens or arugula.

Edited by anneofcleves

Yes, anneofcleves, the farmer's potluck was one of the current set of new episodes. The wheatberry and farro salad was a "new" recipe, in that Ina had previously made the exact same recipe with all wheatberries. This time, she used half wheatberries and half farro, everything else was exactly the same, voilà, a brand new recipe! There are lots of recipes online for salads that include wheatberries and chickpeas or farro and chickpeas, so it seems like the three would go well together.

• Love 1

I see that BC has a "make it ahead" cookbook coming out in Autumn (if I read my alert properly) -- has anyone seen recipes from this, or has she made any of these recipes on the FN show?  Martha Stewart has a one-pot recipe cookbook coming out in Autumn also, and these keep showing up as linked in my Amazon recommendations.  I'm ready for some slow-cooker/one-pot recipes that are new!

• Love 2

Barnes & Noble's website indicates that the Make Ahead cookbook will be released on October 28. Just in time for Christmas gifting! They have a few sample pages you can look at, including an index page where you can see some of the recipe names. None of the names appear to be anything she's made on the show. 

• Love 2

I keep meaning to ask - on this show, and most others, their baking sheets and cooling racks look brand new, SIGH.

Is there a secret to this.....mine surely don't after roasting veggies, ie.

Bar Keeper's Friend. Wet the cooking/baking pan, sprinkle on the Barkeeper's,  let it set a bit for a tough stain, then scrub. Sometimes it will start to lift immediately. Works on baked on grease or food, heat discoloration, lots of other things too.

This stuff is great for glass, stainless steel or copper pans. I scrub my All Clad with this stuff and a wet paper towel (helps preserve the silvery mirror finish). Still looks like they came new out of the box years later.

BKF can dry hands so some may want to use gloves.

You can find it at most grocery stores and definitely at Walmart.

edited to add: You can also make a paste or slurry of it of it with water, that helps with some types of stains.

Edited by Giselle
  • Love 2

I am going to find some of that Bar Keeper's stuff and go berserk on the bottoms of my Wolfgang Puck cookware. But I hate Walmart and refuse to go in our local one because it is horrible so I will see if the Pig has any of it. (ha will see if anyone can tell where I am with that reference)

Target, Lowes, Home Depot all carry it. It is a gold and silver cardboard can like Comet or Ajax.

I caught today's show about (what else) chicken!  First was the "Engagement Chicken".  Then Ina made curried chicken salad and in her intro to that segment, mentioned how curried chicken salad was the rage in the early 80's.  I certainly do remember ordering it while out for lunch with friends in those new, trendy little bungalows turned into cute cafes.  Has anyone here made Ina's curried chicken salad?  She put a lot of curry powder in the mayo (that stuff can be hot!) plus, Ina added chutney which intrigued me.  I haven't made it in years (and never with chutney).  I'm not crazy about cashews and wonder if another nut might go well with this type of salad.

Pig as in Piggly Wiggly Supermarkets?

annzeepark, I've never made her recipe exactly but it is similar to how I prepare it.  I've found that the amount of curry powder that I add differs each time, depending on where I buy it and how it tastes.  Sometime, it seems that I add a LOT, and other times it doesn't need that much.  I've never added white wine but will use lemon juice, and I always add almonds instead of cashews.  It would be great to add chutney but I rarely have any, so I add apricot jam.

Edited by tvchick
  • Love 1

I've made it, and like it....though not my go to chicken salad. Served it at a family lunch (all middle/older aged) and was disappointed the raves were not there. Although the sandwiches were gone, lol. One of her versions uses them in a sandwich and I used expensive croissants.

• Love 1

I had planned on making Ina's marshmallows this week, but I have a change of plans.  I'm going to make Bobby Flay's Barbecued Pork (incomparable!!!) with Ina's Blue Cheese Coleslaw with maggiemae's candied almonds.  For dessert, I'm making Ina's and Books Rule's Devil Food Cake with Peanut Butter Frosting.  (Talk about a long, rambling two sentences!)  They all sound fantastic to me.  

BTW, if you've never tried Bobby Flay's Barbecued Pork, you've missed a HUGE treat.  I've served it at dinner parties, and after ooo-ing and ahh-ing, people have asked me where I bought it.  It really is special!

As for the cake, my dear DH came walking in with a piece of chocolate cake from Safeway last night.  It was dry as a bone.  I figured that he was desperate and told him I'd bake him a cake.  Poor guy!

While eating lunch today, I caught a glimpse of the episode in which Ina makes mussels with breadcrumbs mixed with garlic, basil, lemon juice, pine nuts and sundried tomatoes.  Which reminded me ... 

I have an iffy relationship with sundried tomatoes, as I can love them in one dish and hate them in another, and I hated them in this one.  I can eat mussels just about any which way, but this was unappetizing -- the sundried tomatoes were overpowering, even the second time around when I halved them.  The third time, I left them out entirely, and finally it was a delicious way of enjoying mussels.  The breadcrumb mixture really does get in to every mussel, and it provides a nice flavor complement without being overwhelming.  I still prefer a more simple presentation, but this is a nice change of pace.

I'm enthused about this new cookbook of Ina's.  I love make-ahead recipes, and I love slow cooker recipes as well.  I'm going to Amazon to check it out.  (Thank you, Vera!)

I've used chickpeas in my tossed vegetable salads for years, ever since a friend of mine served one that way.  I couldn't believe how much the chickpeas added to the texture and the flavor.  Now, I wouldn't serve a tossed salad without them.  I think they would be great in Ina's wheatberry salad.  What a great idea!

• Love 1

Well, I tried the Tequila Lime Chicken from the Lidey-Has-A-Party episode.  Complete disappointment.  I was skeptical of marinating the chicken that long in so much citrus - and sure enough, the marinade cured the outside, and the chicken ended up dry and fairly tasteless.  I love Ina, but very few of her recipes pan out for me.  If it's not a roast or a roasted vegetable, I've found most to be misses.

• Love 1

I love that marinade, and use it on other things, but I agree her recommended time is WAY too long.  I think she says something like overnight or eight hours.  I rejected that out of hand, and I think did 3-4 hours the first time.  I generally go with three now when I use it on chicken.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 1

Yes, she recommends 8 hours.  I ended up doing closer to 5 and it was still waaaayyyy too long.  The marinade did smell wonderful so the way the chicken came out was a big disappointment.  Maybe I will try it on other things, or on chicken again and let it sit less time.

Ina's recipes are the only ones I would make for company without testing them first (with the caveat that you may want to reduce the salt or lemon).

My favorites are:

Cream of Wild Mushroom soup:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/cream-of-wild-mushroom-soup-recipe.html

Saffron Risotto with Butternut Squash:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/butternut-squash-risotto-recipe.html

Rosemary Roasted Cashews:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/rosemary-roasted-cashews-recipe.html

Made many times to rave reviews!

I make that mushroom soup all.the.time.  It might be an addiction.  I use my own vegetable stock that I always have in the freezer rather than making a specific one for the recipe like she does (my stock gets made with plenty of mushroom caps, so it works just fine for me) and I use 2 cups of half-and-half rather than a cup of that plus a cup of heavy cream.  I also tweak the mushroom make-up slightly.  She calls for 15 ounces total, made up of equal amounts of portobello, shiitake, and cremini or porcini.  I go with 16 ounces total made up of equal amounts portobello, shiitake, cremini and porcini.

I've had good success making Ina's recipes. Her shrimp, feta, arugula with orzo salad always gets rave reviews at potlucks, and it is good for potlucks as it makes a ton. I took her watermelon with arugula with the orange juice/lemon juice vinaigrette to a potluck this summer - rave reviews and requests for the recipes. I love her mustard snapper and beef burgundy. It's rare for me to have a miss with her recipes.

I'm going to have to try the mushroom soup - looks wonderful and I love mushrooms.

I love chickpeas in salads too! Although we call them garbonza beans in my family.

My Aunt recently served roasted chickpeas (store bought) but there are lots of recipes for them online. So good! And actually might be nice in a tossed salad in lieu of croutons.....I should try that. Or Ina!

• Love 2

Except on one occasion, I have never been disappointed in an Ina recipe. Over the years, I have found that more and more of the food I serve when I entertain is generally Ina's. Her Roasted Shrimp Cocktail and Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms are a necessity at holiday parties. Her best recipe, IMHO, is her Chicken Pot Pie. My husband claims it is the best thing he has ever eaten. He looks so forward to me using the leftover Turkey at Thanksgiving for this recipe.

• Love 1

Totally agree on the chicken pot pie!  I think it's the cream, because it's a pretty basic veloute sauce (which, don't get me wrong, is always delicious!), but the cream adds that extra umph factor.  I also agree about not having issues with Ina's recipes, although I have never attempted the Honey Vanilla Pound Cake!  The other winners I constantly use are her Beef Bourguignon (but the one with chuck, not filet, because I'm not a Rockefeller), the Ham and Gruyere puff pastry hors d'oeuvres is always the first thing gone at cocktail parties and I am always asked for the recipe.  Love her roasted shrimp cocktail, the only way I prefer to this is a grilled shrimp cocktail, but I don't always have time to dick with the grill.  I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the goat cheese scrambled eggs.  It's incredible. 

The lone recipe I had an issue with was her Banana Crunch muffins, and my issue was "holy mother of shit, that makes a LOT of muffins!"  BTW, that recipe is also good if you choose to add chocolate chips.  And they freeze like a dream.

The other winners I constantly use are her Beef Bourguignon (but the one with chuck, not filet, because I'm not a Rockefeller),

I first made this recipe with filet for our frou-frou, VIP guests, but since then, I've used chuck.  I find the chuck to have twice the flavor of the more expensive steak, and I'll never go back to using filet again.  This was my dinner party from Hell.  My impossible-to-please SIL only picked at her food (to show her displeasure, I guess)..  Everyone  else ate heartily and with compliments.  She was not ill; she was merely being her usual disagreeable self.  She will tell anyone within hearing distance that she's the best cook in the country.  What can you do with a guest like that, and what would you serve the next time around?  The mere mention of Beef Bourguignon takes my mind back to that evening!  I'm sure she would consider Ina's Chicken Pot Pie to be a half step up from dog food!

• Love 1

Thanks, jjj.  I'm working on it!

I made Ina's chocolate cake with her peanut butter frosting yesterday, and it's just delicious!   It was almost an all-Ina meal.  We had her Chicken Piccata, too, along with her French Potato Salad, which is one of the best I've ever had. 

We went to the Farmers Market this morning.  Last week was the last one for corn.  I can't complain because we've had a long corn season this year, and I froze part of the ears last week.  Now that I finally have a freezer, I love to pull out corn on the cob during the winter.

For the first time ever, I pre-ordered Ina's new cookbook.  I hope there aren't too many recipe repeats, or I'm going to be very disappointed.  Incidentally, I thought that someone said you could peek inside the book to check out the contents, but that feature wasn't available when I went to Amazon to order it two days ago.

Lura, based on what I saw when we could peek at the contents, you and I will be very happy with the new recipes.  I think I even screen-shot two of the visible recipes, because they looked so good!  See the article I linked above for a recipe I definitely want to try -- a Greek lamb/béchamel/pasta dish we can *make ahead*! 

I love previously.tv -- it added the accent to béchamel automatically!