Type keyword(s) to search

Making Ina's Recipes at Home: How Easy is That?

• Start Topic

I too have made many of Ina's recipes with some degree of success*.

*If Ina claims that a recipe is for two people, I halve it and it is still plenty for four people.  I adjust the amount of salt downward, even though I now use Diamond Salt (I suspect Ina just likes salty food).  And lastly, I though I like all things lemon, I drastically cut the amount of lemon in any Ina recipe just as a matter of course.  At that point, I usually find it to be about right.

That being said, Her marshmallow recipe really is great, as is her French Apple Tart recipe**

**Disclaimer: I take a short cut and use a frozen puff pastry sheet.  I also use a locally made F.R.O.G. (Fig, Raspberry, Orange, and Ginger) preserve instead of the apricot preserve that Ina suggests in the recipe.  Everyone who has tried it has raved about it.

• Love 2

*If Ina claims that a recipe is for two people, I halve it and it is still plenty for four people.  I adjust the amount of salt downward, even though I now use Diamond Salt (I suspect Ina just likes salty food).  And lastly, I though I like all things lemon, I drastically cut the amount of lemon in any Ina recipe just as a matter of course.  At that point, I usually find it to be about right.

I, too, figure Ina's recipe will serve at least twice as many people as she states and reduce accordingly.  And, even though we use the same salt, I automatically cut it in half on top of that reduction.  I do, however, generally maintain the amount of lemon called for; lemon and garlic are two ingredients I pretty much can't get enough of. 

I too have made many of Ina's recipes with some degree of success*.

That being said, Her marshmallow recipe really is great, as is her French Apple Tart recipe**

**Disclaimer: I take a short cut and use a frozen puff pastry sheet.  I also use a locally made F.R.O.G. (Fig, Raspberry, Orange, and Ginger) preserve instead of the apricot preserve that Ina suggests in the recipe.  Everyone who has tried it has raved about it.

I've only made the pastry for the apple tart once.  I mainly use this for cocktail parties, and I do a lot of small bites, so I'm A-OK with taking that one shortcut.  I think it tastes pretty damn good, too!

I am so thankful for all of you Barefoot Contessa friends who are ready to offer advice when I ask for it.  I have another question to toss out at you. 

Sad story.  A friend of mine lost her husband unexpectedly a couple of months ago.  They had four children -- two boys and two girls.  One of their daughters died last week of cancer.  My friend's brother is staying with her for a while.  I thought I'd like to take them one of  Ina's French Apple Tarts.  I'm thinking of adding a little bit of cinnamon to the sugar on it, but I wonder about the taste when paired with Calvados. 

If you've made the tart -- or even if you haven't -- what do you think about the cinnamon?  The tart sounds bland to me with only the sugar, and I love the cinnamon taste in apple pie, but I don't want to ruin the tart.  Any opinions, please?  Thank you!

My condolences to your friend!  We all know life is not fair, but that is a horrible one-two punch for anyone to endure.  I have a friend who was diagnosed with breast cancer a few months after losing her daughter to the same disease, and it was all she could do to put one foot in front of the other.

I've never made the apple tart as I'm not a big fan of cooked fruit.  But with 1/2 cup sugar plus the jam mixture, it sounds sweet rather than bland to me.  If not for the jam, I might be inclined towards revisiting the apple/cinnamon combo, but as it is I would be hesitant.  But if your friend is one of those who thinks cinnamon makes everything taste better, go for it.

• Love 1

So sorry to hear about your friend's terrible losses.  So much heartbreak in such a short length of time!

I would not add the cinnamon to the sugar, as there is so much going on between the liquor and the jam on the tart already.  I am a self-avowed cinnamon nut, but I would never think of adding it to the tart.

And just be there for your friend.  That is what she will really need right now.

• Love 1

I agree, it's a recipe that sounds simple, but the apples shrink down and intensify in flavor, the sugar adds a great sweetness, and then the jam adds that beautiful gloss and extra flavor.  I would suggest making the recipe as is, and then seeing how they respond!  It's really delicious.

• Love 1

I am really glad that the three of you were kind enough to answer me quickly because I want to get the tart up to my friend today.  Thanks for your honesty about the cinnamon idea, too.  I'm ditching the thought and making the tart as Ina intended it to be.  I think "bland" was the wrong word for what I was thinking.  It was more like "plain" or lacking enough flavor, but when I wrote it, I forgot all about the jam on top.  I'm making two tarts, one for my friend and one for us.  I have to taste it, and my DH is already salivating!

On a trip to several supermarkets last night, believe it or not, there wasn't a bottle of Calvados to be had.  Everybody must be making apple drinks (or tarts)!  I'm contemplating substituting Grand Marnier because I thought that touch of citrus might be good with the apples.  Since the recipe calls for 2 tablespoons, I could use all Grand Marnier or Grand Marnier and water.  Any thoughts?  So many questions over a simple tart!

Edited by Lura
For the first time ever, I pre-ordered Ina's new cookbook.  I hope there aren't too many recipe repeats, or I'm going to be very disappointed.  Incidentally, I thought that someone said you could peek inside the book to check out the contents, but that feature wasn't available when I went to Amazon to order it two days ago

The preview pages are available on the Barnes & Noble website.

• Love 1

Thank you, vera charles.

On the subject of make-ahead recipes, I took a look through the recipe box containing my most favorite recipes over the years, everything from soup to nuts, approaching them from the make-ahead angle.  I was surprised by how many of them could be make-ahead dishes, but I'd never looked at them from that standpoint before.  Ina is fond of warming up premade ingredients and adding the last few things at the last minute, whereas I've thought that "warmed up" was only something I do with leftovers.  There are several recipes that always taste better the second day I serve them, when the ingredients have had a chance to marry.  I think Ina is onto something!

• Love 2

Has anyone made Ina's Italian Wedding Soup?  Last night I made the meatballs, figuring it'd be a lot easier today to just make the soup, then add the meatballs to warm them up and have them for dinner.  Those meatballs are fantastic!  I grind boneless skinless chicken breasts myself (don't like the packaged stuff).  I bought two mild Italian chicken sausages at Whole Foods.  So that went into the meatballs (along with some other stuff). When they came out of the oven and I tried one, oh my...I had to eat quite a few more!  Have no idea what the soup will taste like but these meatballs are winners.  I can see them, if made even a little smaller, placed on toothpicks, as great with drinks.

• Love 2

Regarding Ina's apple tart with Cavalos - I didn't want to spend $30 + on the Cavalos to use only a teaspoonful or so.  Wandering the liquor aisles I found an airline liquor bottle size of a honey flavored brandy (can't remember the brand).  I tasted the brandy before using it, and it tasted so good that I doubled what you are supposed to add.  The tart turned out amazing!

• Love 2

Good idea, roughing it!

I lucked out.  My DH located a tiny Mom and Pop grocery that carries airplane-sized bottles of Calvados.  I was about to go for rum, but the problem is solved.  I also heard from a mutual friend that my grieving friend is overloaded with food and can't eat it fast enough.  I'm going to wait a couple of weeks to take a tart up to her.  She'll  appreciate it all the more when she needs it, I think.

Annzeepark914, I've been going to make Ina's Wedding Soup -- it's on my long list of things to try.  The meatballs really sound good!  I'm glad you thought about apps -- my favorite thing to make.

• Love 2

Has anyone made Ina's Italian Wedding Soup?  Last night I made the meatballs, figuring it'd be a lot easier today to just make the soup, then add the meatballs to warm them up and have them for dinner.  Those meatballs are fantastic!  I grind boneless skinless chicken breasts myself (don't like the packaged stuff).  I bought two mild Italian chicken sausages at Whole Foods.  So that went into the meatballs (along with some other stuff). When they came out of the oven and I tried one, oh my...I had to eat quite a few more!  Have no idea what the soup will taste like but these meatballs are winners.  I can see them, if made even a little smaller, placed on toothpicks, as great with drinks.

That is my go-to wedding soup recipe. I just made it last week. We LOVE it. One change I make is I buy Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese rinds and add maybe 4 or 5 after I add the stock so it all simmers together. When the soup is done, I just remove them. A friend of mine that lived in Italy told me that trick. Makes a huge difference!

• Love 1

I always make my stock (veggie or chicken) with parmesan rinds, because I just love the flavor it adds.  And then I'll add even more, in the way you described, to certain soups. 

• Love 2

If I ever make this soup again I'll do things differently.  First of all, I'll use chicken broth that is not low sodium (had the worst time trying to get some flavor into that soup...after adding different seasonings, we then needed soy sauce once it was in our bowls).  Secondly, I'll put only 1/4 cup of pasta in the soup.  I used pastina (the only star shaped pasta I could find...didn't want the little tubes or ditalini...they all expand too much).  But I certainly shall make the meatballs again and soon, except I'll be making them as chicken burgers (with some aioli on the side). They are truly divine!

Orchidgal, I always appreciate your advice.  I'll bet that you (and many others here) are a great cook!

I wouldn't have gone on such a  Calvados search if I hadn't been making two tarts.  In fact, I was  pretty much resigned to using rum, but I was thrilled to find a little tiny bottle of Calvados.  In fact, I doubt there's enough of the Calvados to equal the 4 Tbls. needed, but I can thin my apricot jam with water on the tart I make for us.

@stewedsquash:  I buy skinless boneless chicken breasts and cut them into cubes, then toss into the food processor and pulse. (years ago I bought a package of ground chicken or turkey, & after cooking it, discovered it was OTT salty so never again!)  I'm sure a meat grinder would be better but the FP works fine :>)  It'll look a bit mushy but who cares?  The end product is great.

Thanks for the tip re: Barilla flat lasagna noodles.  I was going through a stack of recipes last night, found one of my own creations--spinach & mushroom lasagna, and decided to upgrade it (wow--this recipe must be really old 'cause I was using shredded mozzarella & cottage cheese instead of fresh mozzarella & ricotta).  I'll try the Barilla.  I lived in Raleigh for quite a while and tried chicken & dumplings for the first time--at the Dept of Revenue cafeteria & it was divine.  The next week that cafeteria staff left, another crew came in, and the chicken and dumplings were nothing spectacular.  So I'm glad I tried this dish at its finest (never made it myself, though; maybe after I use the Barilla noodles w/ my lasagna, I'll give the C&D a try).

I was reading the comments under the article/recipe for the chicken pastry and it seems it depends where one lives that determines the name of this dish.  I heard all three while living in Raleigh (seems to be the "melting pot" of NC folks from all over the state): chicken pastry, chicken & dumplings and chicken slick (never understood the reasoning for that last one!).

I'm going to make the Easy Cranberry And Apple Cake tomorrow & use frozen cranberries.  I've made it before with fresh -- both the show & the comments on the Food Network site say that frozen works fine, but no one says whether or not to thaw them first.  If anyone here has used frozen berries for this, I'd appreciate hearing what your experience was.

Making several of Ina's dishes this Sunday for a baby shower! Very excited.  Her Roasted Shrimp Cocktail, Rosemary Roasted Cashews, French Apple Tart, and Pumpkin Mousse.  I'm using Martha's Cheesy Gougeres recipe, along with some fried artichokes, pork tenderloin, deviled eggs, roasted beet canapes, chocolate friands, and some crepes with Nutella and strawberries, along with the requisite fruit/cheese/veg trays.  My friend is a SUPER FOODIE, and I am so excited for the presentation on these things!  I want to do one of them in a Chinese soup spoon, but I'm not sure if I should do the beet canape (which is served with an orange balsamic reduction), or the fried artichokes, or maybe the roasted pork?  Has anyone used them before?  Almost every time I've had one, it's been something that was more...er, juicy, I guess is the right description?

• Love 3

@larapu2000:  Wow!  Your friend is so lucky as are your guests.  Your menu sounds wonderful.  I don't have advice re: the beet canape or fried artichokes, just wanted to convey my admiration.  I'm interested in the Pumpkin Mousse.  Is that the recipe that Ina says her mom would always make for Thanksgiving? I bet right now you're cooking like crazy...but doing it the Ina-way so that you can enjoy your party along with your guests :>)  Have fun and be sure to let us know how it all goes.

• Love 1

Oct 20 2014. 3:36 pm

I'm going to make the Easy Cranberry And Apple Cake tomorrow & use frozen cranberries.  I've made it before with fresh -- both the show & the comments on the Food Network site say that frozen works fine, but no one says whether or not to thaw them first.  If anyone here has used frozen berries for this, I'd appreciate hearing what your experience was.

3pwood, I just saw your post, or I would have answered sooner.  Did you make the cake?  I've made it once with frozen berries and it worked out great.  I really need to make it again.  I know I still have frozen berries in the freezer and I think I have some apples in the fridge.

BooksRule, I did make the cake & have been meaning to post my results:  just fine with frozen berries, no need to thaw.  I pulled mine out of the freezer before I zested the oranges & measured the other ingredients & found my pan (I use a 7.5"x12"x2" Corningware because I don't have a 10" pie pan & it's too much for a 9"), etc. -- so they may have sat at room temperature for approximately 30 minutes (probably less) until the cake went into the oven, but they were still hard when I started mixing stuff.

This is such a good cake & everyone loves it -- I use 2 green apples (unpeeled) & it is tart, but just right with whipped cream or a la mode.   Cranberries should be going on sale at good prices soon, so I plan to stock up for this recipe & others. 

• Love 1

I wish that Ina had a recipe for Stuffed Peppers.  I'll have to check at Epicurious because I imagine they'd have a good one.  My mother used to make them with whole green bell peppers, stuffed with a rice and ground beef concoction.  As a kid, I didn't care for the taste of the pepper, but as I grew older, I developed a taste for at least part of the pepper.  My mother served her peppers whole, but I've seen recipes with the pepper cut into halves.  What were/are your stuffed peppers made from? 

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

My mom does not eat canned tomato soup, but the recipe from her grandmother uses it in a stuffed peppers recipe, along with corn and ground beef.  I don't think there's rice anywhere in it.  It's pretty good, I thought it would be gross with the canned soup.

• Love 1

Ina's Easy Cranberry and Apple Cake is one of those recipes that I think everyone would enjoy -- unless they had an aversion to cranberries.  I've made it several times.  The last time I made it, I drizzled an orange glaze over the top, and it added something special to the flavors.  I was thinking of my recipe for cranberry compote (almost identical to Ina's).  The combination of cranberries, apples and oranges is delicious, I think.

• Love 1

I don't have a recipe for stuffed peppers, I just wing it. I always use rice, meat, cheese, and corn. It's usually leftover Mexican rice or spicy yellow rice. A can of whole corn, drained. The meat is shredded chicken or beef, ground pork, or leftover pork roast (lechon asado). (ground beef would work fine, too. I just can't stand ground beef.) Mix with shredded cheese and stuff the peppers. I have made a meatless version with black beans and rice, once. (with corn but no cheese)I imagine red beans and rice would be good, too. Quinoa would probably make a nice substitute for rice. Needless to say, my stuffed peppers are different each time I make them.

I need to try that cake! It's sounds delicious.

I'm thinking about making Ina's pecan sandies cookies. Has anyone made them?

Yes, I made a batch for a friend's baby shower over the weekend. They're delicious and very easy. To "turn up the volume" as Ina would say, I dipped them in a little chocolate ganache.

• Love 1

I wish I'd been at your baby shower, WhitneyWhit!  I think the pecan sandies are a cookie that most everyone would enjoy, and dipping them in ganache would make a tasty and attractive display.  I've added those cookies to my "to make" list, and I'm anxious to try them.  I love pecans!

Ok, still freaking out here....I just haven't "cooked for a party" for so long. But having guests in a couple of weeks for lunch and thought Ina's chicken pot pie would be great. I've made her stew before and I imagine they are the same recipe. I really need to serve things made ahead if possible. Other wise I'll have to make reservations. Sigh.

Do you guys think this can be frozen ahead? And if I use puff pastry how do I do that AND...what to serve with it? As a side that is.

I love her salmon with lentils. Even if I'm not doing the lentil part, I always use the technique from the recipe to cook my salmon. Always comes out perfectly, and it was the recipe that finally got my kids to eat (and enjoy) fish!

You don't need to freeze the pot pie if you can make it 1-2 days ahead, just pop it in the fridge (although I would leave out the peas and add them before you roll on the pastry.  If you freeze it in advance, I believe Ina's pot pie recipe has a small amount of cream in it, and cream is not good in the freezer, so I would discourage it.

For puff pastry, you will just want to roll it out a little bit with a very small amount of flour.  You can do this a few hours in advance, top the filling with the pastry, and then throw it into the fridge.    When you're ready to bake it, just do the egg wash and pop it into the oven.

Chicken Pot Pie is so rich, I think a nice greens salad is always welcome with it, and a super light dessert, if any dessert at all.  At this time of year, it's nice to have pepitas or pomegranate seeds in the salad as well, a nice seasonal bite!

Maggiemae, when you mentioned Ina's chicken stew before, were you talking about her Chicken and Biscuits?  That is just about our favorite recipe of Ina's.  I think your pot pie idea is great, but if you have any qualms about making them, let me suggest this dish, which tastes identical to the pot pie filling but, I find, is less of a hassle.  It makes an elegant and absolutely comforting meal. 

While Ina bakes it with biscuits on the top, I like to make the filling and the biscuits separately.  I've used those wonderful biscuits you buy at the store with all the layers inside, and I've made my own.  Both are good.  I just toss the biscuits into the oven at the last minute.  I serve the chicken in a pretty serving dish, and I pass a basket of biscuits.  This way, someone can take as many as they want.  (If it's for guests, I bake a few extra biscuits. just in case.)  The dish enables everyone to take as much as they want of both the biscuits and the filling.  The process is just so much easier for me than making the pot pies, and guests rave about it, whichever way it's served.

I like Larapu's suggestion for a green salad.  I've done that myself, and I use an Italian vinegar and oil (and spices) vinaigrette because the chicken needs something acidic served with it.  Or, since you have veggies in the chicken, I've also served it with a mixed fruit salad containing oranges for the acidic value.  It's always colorful and welcome.  You can use apples, oranges or tangerines, bananas, etc., and top with toasted, slivered almonds for crunch if you like.

And don't worry about being jittery!  We ALL are!  Even Ina won't allow Jeffrey to talk with her for 30 minutes before guests arrive!  I just know you can pull off one of these chicken dishes, and your guests will have a wonderful time!

• Love 1

Lura....thanks so much! Now it will even be more simple! Love the biscuit idea (on the side). Before I used the Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Shells but I like the idea of family style for this group. Some have small appetites, others "normal", lol. I'm going to add mushrooms and sautéed celery. I'm also going to "cheat" and use Costco's Roasted Chicken (2).

Plus, now I can return the crocks I bought! Love the salad ideas too....and how interesting about an acidic salad. (Are you Ina?)

• Love 1

I notice that Ina's Make-Ahead Gravy is one of the recipes in her new cookbook.  Has anyone here made it?  I've made it twice for Thanksgiving, and I haven't been completely satisfied with it.  The second time I made it, I even added some chicken demi-glace to help boost the flavor, but it wound up as before -- rather artificial tasting.  I've used canned chicken stock in the past, and I think that if I make it again, I'll use homemade chicken stock.  Coming from the Midwest, where gravy is served frequently, maybe we're a little picky when it comes to our gravy, but I still think it would taste better if made with the chicken or turkey drippings.  I'm curious to know what others think of it.

Is it even scientifically possible to make gravy without drippings?  You're right, Lura, we midwesterners are super picky about the gravy here.  

Maybe you could saute wings or something to give you some fond and make the gravy from that point?  Also, do a lot of people make the gravy ahead?  I get the roux going, then add some wine, and then stop cooking it, and when the turkey comes out and is resting, I strain the juices, add it to some broth/stock, and finish the gravy then.  It's not really a time-suck.  But I also have an executive chef for a brother that handles the carving/cutting of the turkey, so I have some free time.

Edited by larapu2000