Type keyword(s) to search

S14: Candice Cuoco

• Start Topic

She's surprisingly sunny for a hardcore Goth.

Anyone asking if she's related (presumably a younger sister) to Kaley Cuoco? It's an unusual enough name, Candice clearly has money (with that monster big house in California), the ages seem right (she's two years younger than Kaley per The Net), and I can even vaguely see a resemblance.  Plus one sister of Kaley's ALREADY gotten on a different reality show (her sister Briana was on The Voice).

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 1

She's chosen the cover - I think it's fair to  interpret that as an attempt at self-definition or declaration. I don't use it to judge her worth as a human being but it's a decent predictor of whether or not I'll like her aesthetic, or be likely to want to hang out with her (probably not particularly, but so what). 

• Love 2

Don't judge a book by its cover.

Wasn't she the one who said she moved out at 14 and had her daughter at 17? That sounds like a tougher upbringing than I'd expect of Kaley Cuoco.

She said she had a daughter at 17, yes. I don't recall anything about her moving out though.

Not saying she didn't say it--I just didn't register hearing anything like that.

Yes, she said both those things.

The only thing I could find connecting the two of them was her telling a british paper that she chose her business domain name because Kaley Cuoco registered the one she wanted, which seems like a natural place to mention a family connection if there was one.

• Love 2

Concerning her residence I found this:

HERE AND THERE: Oakland resident Candice Cuoco is among the 16 hopefuls competing for fashion glory on the new season of "Project Runway" (9 p.m. Aug. 6, Lifetime). She honed her skills at the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising in San Francisco and has shown her line at London and Paris Fashion Weeks...

Is Oakland considered Silicon Valley?

Not seeing any connection to Kaley.

Not particularly fond of her but she has certainly done well for someone who was on her own at such a young age.

14! Wow.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 1

I think Candice is one to watch. Having a polished look and a story will work in her favor, especially if she's on the chopping block one week. Plus, she has a clear POV and seems to have been seriously pursuing her career for a while. 

I find myself charmed by her.  She's like a goth cupcake. :)

With sprinkles. 

Like I said elsewhere, she's the cheeriest Goth I've ever seen.  Not necessarily a bad thing... just odd.

Also as I've said.. I imagine seemingly being able to do what you want, but live in that huge-ass house probably helps her cheer-level a lot.

• Love 2

I'm so confused. She says she's from San Francisco, the article above says she lives in Oakland, and in her Road to the Runway interview, she says, "Welcome to Silicon Valley." Does she live in some weird warp in the time-space continuum that allows her to inhabit all three places at the same time?

• Love 3

She probably figures random viewers from elsewhere won't know the difference. And San Francisco and Silicon Valley sound a lot more glamorous to those random viewers than Oakland, especially since the only thing a lot of people know about Oakland is that it's famously beleaguered. She ought to just call it a day and tell everybody she's from the Bay Area. 

• Love 1

I'm thinking she works in SF, she lives in Oakland, and whoever she borrowed the house from for the home visit lives in Silicon Valley.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 3

Ha, it reminds me of when I met tons of people in my freshman dorm who said they were from San Francisco but when I asked where, they would say things like Martinez. But to me the difference is that most people haven't heard of Martinez but at this point everyone knows about both Oakland and Silicon Valley and that they are very different from San Francisco. While I agree that it's possible she thought San Francisco sounded more glamorous, it's kind of funny because there are some neighborhoods in Oakland that are very safe with huge gorgeous houses and have all kinds of great restaurants and shops while in contrast there are some very decidedly unglamorous areas of San Francisco (some would argue that most of San Francisco is dirty and covered in human feces).

When things like this happen (a contestant saying they are from a city they don't actually live in), I wonder how much of it is the contestant wanting to be perceived as being from a bigger city versus the producers. Hilariously on Dallas Cowboys Cheerleaders: Making the Team, the girls list their hometowns no matter how tiny and in the middle of nowhere they are.

• Love 1

OK, so. She's been growing on me up to this point, but Candice totally planted a flag in my heart with her talking head about Joseph's behavior. The partnership between her and Ashley was also a joy to watch, and startling, on this show. Two women supporting each other because they respect and appreciate each other's skills and not because of their place in the social hierarchy? Unheard of.

• Love 6

Yes, I mentioned in one of the previous episode threads that she looks like a cross between Maureen from Center Stage and Gia on Veronica Mars to me! Someone else mentioned Swing Out Sister.

Yes: thank you! It's Gia that she has been reminding me of but I couldn't put my finger on it.

She's turning out to be so charming that I don't even mind her look anymore! (Just thought I'd say that since I was on record here as dubious early on).  

It's nice that a number of the designers seem like genuinely pleasant people this time around (her, Laurie, Swapnil, Ashley, Kelly, and probably Edmond come to mind but I could be missing someone - but definitely not including Joseph, Blake, or Amanda, who lost me with her comments about Candice this time around). Kelly is a bit of a pleasant surprise too, to me, but she just turns out to be an individualist goofball, and I approve of that! 

• Love 3

My daughter goes to school with Candice's 9 year old daughter. We live in an East Bay suburb of San Francisco that Candice probably figured no one had ever heard of! So I can see why she might say she's from SF or Oakland. My daughter's a huge Runway fan and is over the moon that she "knows" one of the contestants! We are definitely Team Candice, and I'm happy to see that she is both talented and kind.

• Love 5

Thanks for providing detail!  It saddens me when I read people assume she has the wealth of someone living in SF in a "big house," making it almost preferable that that she didn't win a $5,000 challenge.  Obviously those of us who have lived in the Bay Area have a bit of a skewed perspective on "affordable," but a lot of the suburbs are "reasonably" priced.

(I prefer merit over need for competitions like this - but there seem to be people who think rich folks don't deserve to win cash prizes.)

Our daughters are both in 4th grade at a regular public school in what would be considered a relatively affluent (but certainly not rich!) middle class neighborhood. You are so right about the Bay Area -- a normal 4 bedroom house is upwards of $700K. Just about everyone I know in this area could use $5,000!  :o)

My daughter saw Candice at school earlier this week. I asked her if she said "hi" and told her that we're rooting for her on PR. She said she couldn't because Candice was talking to another grown-up and it wouldn't be polite to interrupt! Wish I'd paid more attention at Back To School Night the other day to see if Candice was there.

I think she's incredibly talented. That leather dress and top she made for the last challenge was amazing -- and in just 9 hours!

Yeah that leather dress was amazing! I so wish she had won that challenge. I agree, Pallida, that how much money she does or does not have is irrelevant to whether she deserves to win... I did think her house looked nice (from what we saw on the preview episode) though!

She seems so nice! You'll have to report back to us if you get a chance to meet her, Blintzie! =)

My daughter saw Candice at school earlier this week. I asked her if she said "hi" and told her that we're rooting for her on PR. She said she couldn't because Candice was talking to another grown-up and it wouldn't be polite to interrupt! Wish I'd paid more attention at Back To School Night the other day to see if Candice was there.

Congratulations on your daughter's lovely manners.

• Love 2

I thought it was funny when she said her kids were blond and hello, pointing to her hair. I turned to my hubby laughing and said wow that is one bottle blue black!

She does appear to have a nice touch but does she gave to wear black all the time? And does she have to point out "oh the others are using me for a model" all the time?

• Love 1

I think Candice was convinced she was going to win this challenge. I love how the editors use her statement: "No one sees Merline as competition" in the episode in which Merline wins the challenge.

I think Candice was convinced she was going to win this challenge. I love how the editors use her statement: "No one sees Merline as competition" in the episode in which Merline wins the challenge.

That would have more weight if Merline's outfit had been better than it actually is.

I mean irony through editing is to be expected on this show (and often based on transposed bits which may not have even been contemporary with what they seemed to be talking about). But in this case the irony of Candice dissing Merline's contribution, then it winning is dulled by the feeling that the judges were totally on crack to pick that as the winner.

• Love 2

Candice showed at London Fashion Week earlier this month. A friend of mine attended and was very impressed. She's also scheduled to present in Paris.

She's got a bit of an ego (though who doesn't in fashion?), but I like her. It seems like there's a good chance Project Runway won't be the thing she's most known for in her career. 

Came across this talk by Candice on Youtube and thought I'd post it here... she's my favorite contestant since Elena. I have a lot of respect for where she's come from and how she carries/presents herself. Plus her creations have pretty much all been outstanding.

Yes, her name is Perseaus, and she was adorable. I asked my daughter if she always dressed that stylishly, like even at school, or was Perseaus done up a bit for PR. My daughter said, "No, Mom, she pretty much always looks that good." I guess if your mom's a designer, you're gonna look pretty stylish. My daughter got a big kick out of seeing her friend on TV! She's pulling for Candace so much, but after that critique of the mini collection, it's not looking too good. 

• Love 1