Type keyword(s) to search

Vera - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Am I the only watching this?  I love it!  It is probably one of my new favorite British mysteries.  I am watching them in the US on WETA-UK, my PBS channel, but I have rented a few from the library as well.  I think that I am on the latest season, which I am enjoying, but boy do I miss David Leon as Joe.  I loved his relationship with Vera (and his face!)  The new guys is OK but I am not sold yet.  

Something in the last few episodes have been missing, beyond the cast changes.  They are good, but the stories aren't really pulling me in like the older ones and I'm wondering if its because they aren't based on the books.

• Love 2

I wasn't sure where to post this comment as it could come under a couple of headings. So if it needs to be moved, fine & I understand.

Didn't realize until yesterday that there's a Vera thread here. Very cool. I enjoy this show.

My comment is really a question. I haven't seen all the eps, but I think I've seen most of them. In the one that aired last night here in Northern NJ there's mention of Vera's sister, Cara or Carrie something or other. She was questioned by Joe on his own regarding the murder in this ep while Vera waited in the car. We didn't get to see the interview and I am wondering if this sister is mentioned in other eps. I got the impression that Vera grew up an only child with her father, her mom having died when she small. They lived in the isolated home where she lives now & I also get the impression he was kind of an odd guy. Where does the sister come in?

Do we ever get any more info on her background & why she's so bloody introspective and moody? Thanks!

Edited by kat165
  • Love 1

I'm thinking the changeover is more due to actors being unavailable rather than a  reflection of the writers shaking up the casting.

I'm really surprised that David Leon remained on the show for so long.

Edited by kat165

I like this show and watch it whenever it's on. Sometimes I even catch the repeat later in the week.

I've only seen the new guy in 2 eps. I was & wasn't surprised that Joe was gone. But it was jarring to see this new guy. I wonder why David Leon left. I hope we learn more about Vera's past in the new eps.. As far as I know we've only gotten small clues here and there.

Edited by kat165

I love watching Brenda Blethyn—in the U.S., we don't have many older actresses allowed to look their age and somewhat less than glamorous.

I've only seen one episode, but Vera's coat is very "Columbo." And I gather the dynamic with her former sergeant was very "Morse and Lewis"? She's older and alone, whilst he has a family.

I wish my PBS station had started at the beginning, so I could learn the characters' backstory. (I figured out The Great British Bake Off easily enough, but this is different.) I worry that if I got Acorn I'd never leave the house.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I'm feeling everyone on the latest season being somewhat .... less than. I miss Joe quite a bit. His character was the only person we've seen who obviously cared about Vera, nagging her about her eating and general health, for example. I even miss Vera joking with her suspects and witnesses about how good looking Joe was. (Funny because it's true!)

I like the new guy okay and Cush Jumbo's character Bethany, but neither of them is a replacement for Joe -- they're not close to Vera and don't share any of her personal life.

The reason I like mystery series (books and TV) is because I enjoy getting to know the characters and seeing how they evolve and change over the years. The protagonists aren't the sole focus of the show, as they are dramatic series, which can be too soapy for my tastes, but there is still the factor of: "Oooh, new series! I wonder what X is up to now?" The riddle/mystery part has always been secondary for me, but the focus on Vera now seems to have shifted with Joe gone to almost nothing about Vera herself and more straightforward detecting.

• Love 2
I'm feeling everyone on the latest season being somewhat .... less than. I miss Joe quite a bit. His character was the only person we've seen who obviously cared about Vera, nagging her about her eating and general health, for example. I even miss Vera joking with her suspects and witnesses about how good looking Joe was. (Funny because it's true!)

I am rewatching the series on my PBS channel and I just watched an episode where a suspect says something about how she would have a hard time keeping her hands to herself around Joe, and Vera replies that it actually just the opposite, HA!!  

We really do get just enough hints about Vera that make me want to know so much more.  Apparently she was involved with a fellow police officer that died, but that is really the only sort of romantic life information we have ever gotten.  And didn't she or Joe discover that she had family in the area?  I can't remember if it was a child of her dad's or cousins or something, but I remember one episode ending with her knocking on a door and the implication was that she had reached out to them.  I can't remember exactly, but I just hope that it was an episode featuring Joe and not the new guy!

• Love 2

I, too, just 'realized' the existence of this thread.

Damn! Why, oh, why, did The Show have to kill off Bethany? I was sorely irked.

Where is Holly?

Actually, where are all of the ancillary and background officers in the recent season(s) ? The already barren, brooding atmosphere is made even more depressive by the strangely empty 'police pen'.

I really enjoy VERA, however, the program's energy is waning and dissipating. New focus, additional interesting CAST, and a tad more oomph is needed (also, i would like to know more about Vera's past.). And, although I realize that VERA is rooted in a somber mien, a tadbit of festooning in both demeanor and aura wouldn't be amiss.

• Love 1

The constant changeovers are not just irritating but affect the quality of the program. For instance, it holds a choppiness more so, now, than previously.  Periodically, I get the impression that I am missing something--plot points, conversations,...   Furthermore, this emptiness, this vacuum UNfavorably accentuates the series inherent bleakness.

I truly like this series and do not wish it to be cancelled.

I'm not sure I've seen all the Vera eps and it's not showing here right now in Northern NJ. Going from memory,

the season before the last season I saw started off with Joe's daughter being sort of obsessed with an older woman on the

train which is what the ep ended up being about. Not sure what season this was. The last season I saw was when Joe

was replaced with that new young guy & I wasn't bummed about the change. I liked her & Joe together.

...And, I have wondered about David Leon and his character, Joe. What happened with Joe's family? They use to be an integral part of the show, but, now, we don't EVEN see the children nor the wife.

ETA: Wow! I confused Kenny Doughty's character, Aiden, with the character of Joe. Do NOT know why I erred in that. Was looking at an episode and it dawned on me. *So, I guess my above⬆ statement is pointless.*

S6E2:  It was ok, although based on what the dad said (which seemed kind of strange, unless it was going to lead to something) that the carnival owner hated druggies - I thought he could have killed both Brendan (an actual drug user) and Jamie (not realizing that his injections were insulin).  Still, I like the series very much, and can't wait for the next episode. 

It seems like they've prettied up Vera quite a bit - different haircut, although the same dowdy clothes.  I very much miss David Leon - besides the fact that he is ridiculously good-looking, he had such an interesting dynamic with Vera..  I was really surprised she didn't rip the DS a new one, given how he kept remonstrating while Vera was questioning Jamie's mother. 

• Love 1

We're not getting Vera in my area right now and I'm jealous of you guys. I'm not sure

I saw season 6 although I did see Aidan's first ep. Right now I have to console myself

with Midsomer and George Gently (another favorite), but a DCI Banks is on tomorrow

night and even though I've seen the ep several times I will watch again. And Grantchester

season 2 is about to start.

• Love 1

mjc570, after I posted last night I watched an ep of Midsomer (where
Tom's daughter gets married) and saw an ad for the new season of Vera.
It went by so fast I didn't catch the time but it looks like it's going
to be airing soon. So I'm excited. I also caught a quick glimpse of her
new hairstyle and I like it.

Tonight PBS in my area is showng ep 1/season 2 of Grantchester and even
though it's airing at 1am I'm going to stay up and watch it. I really
enjoyed season 1.

• Love 2
(edited)

I was beyond happy to see Vera back. Even if I keep calling that one guy "not David Lyon" and I figured Bethany was in trouble the moment I saw her on "The Good Wife".

Well Vera was right, Bethany wasn't ready for Major Crimes.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Love 1

I didn't even know there was a thread for Vera -- I never hear any talk about the show, and we LOVE it. Actually, probably about half the shows on our dvr on a typical week are British mysteries. And Endeavor is coming back soon -- hurray!

But back to Vera. I miss Joe, but I don't mind the staff changes too much either. It is how most workplaces are, and I'm thinking with the show obviously being filmed on location up north, some actors don't want to be away from London that much. Although I find the scenery fabulous, it's not as obviously pretty as Port Isaac (Doc Martin) is! When the next new guy showed up this week (Hicham), I wanted to take him down to the pub and tell him all about Vera.

Another series I'm going to miss is Scott & Bailey. They're really done, right? Father Brown gets a little to cute sometimes. although the vintage clothes and interiors are to die for. Grantchester is growing on me, but the Amanda soap subplot annoys me. Always love Robson Green, though.

I watched a few Midsomer Mysteries years ago, but haven't seen them on our PBS in ages. I keep meaning to hunt them down somewhere.

Ohmigod, If you don't know, Robson Green had a singing career in the 90s. Go to youtube NOW and watch some Robson and Jerome (Flynn) music videos.

• Love 2

I really enjoy this series.  I think it's entirely because of the strength of the lead actress.  She's marvelous.  (Enough with "love" and "pet", though.  Her tics are wonderful and the "formula" of badly lying tangential villains and her sussing them out with photos* got a bit tiresome but I liked it each time she did it, so okay.)  Perhaps I wouldn't notice the pets and the loves if I didn't binge watch the show -- it's probably designed for a week break.

*The classic example was, "So ya did this, that, and the other thing, did ya, pet?  See?  What I can't understand is how ya did that with a broken arm, hm, love?"  Great!  But, enough with the sobriquets.

• Love 2

I've never read the books, but I like to think of the series to ending with Vera retiring and (beautiful) Joe and his family living nearby and checking in on her.

• Love 3

I don't think so. I don't believe they explained why the pathologist she was seeing (Marcus) left either. And Helen, the newer officer who specializes in IT was only in the first episode of the latest season.

I wish they did more stories about the team like in the earlier episodes, but I guess the cast changes make that tough. It's funny that one of the characters who's been on the show the longest (Mark) hardly gets any focus. He's just kind of there. Oh, well. I still enjoy it.

• Love 1
(edited)
On 4/10/2018 at 7:09 AM, WendyM said:

David Leon directed episode 2 of season 8! [Good old-fashioned] squee! Come back, Joe! I like Aiden ok but it hasn't been the same without Joe.

No shit, man. I want Pretty Joe back, not just because he's pretty (though let's face it, that's a large reason why), but because the show had more glimpses into Vera's personal life when he was there. Normally, I don't want to know about the personal lives of detectives, but Vera did it so subtly, giving us brief glimpses into what makes her tick, that I miss it.

I just saw the Season 8 episode with the abbatoir. Bored stiff on that one. It doesn't compare to older episodes. I know they're no longer based on the books, but they haven't been for some time, I think.

Edited by 7-Zark-7
  • Love 3

I really like this show, and I adore the accents. But almost inevitably by the time the time the killer is revealed, I'm depressed again because it's either a nice person or someone who didn't want to kill or both.

• Love 2

Maybe she harbours a secret crush on him! I haven't got any real substance on which to back that up, just the fact that people can be the hardest on those who they like! Vera's a very closed book when it comes to her emotions. Love the show, have watched it for years.  Always very well written. 

21 hours ago, Starby said:

Am I the only one who much prefers Aiden to Joe? Aiden just seems more animated and interesting, and brings more to the table imo.

Maybe. I miss Joe and the relationship he had with Vera. 

I came late to the show and started watching when Aiden was already in it, so I guess I didn't experience things the same as if I had watched it from the start. I tend to get attached to the status quo and dislike any character/relationship changes so I'd probably feel the same as you. As it stands though, I do like Aiden more as a character.