Type keyword(s) to search

Vera - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Loved the new episode of Vera.  As always, the case consisted of many interwoven twists and turns.  This is a series that will be on my rewatch list in the future.  I've watched Morse, Midsommer Murders, and Lewis twice so far.  

• Like 2
On 12/27/2023 at 9:48 AM, mledawn said:

If "over here" is North America - it's here. It's on Britbox.

It’s still there, on Britbox, last episode of season 12. Watched 13.1, then came here. I wouldn’t have known about it if you hadn’t been discussing it, so thanks for that. 
On a side note, someone mentioned that there might be a new Cleeves series in the works: based upon the Three Rivers mysteries. I’ve read the first two books and I like the characters and the setting. I find the pairing of the policeman and the community center director to be intriguing-total opposites. I almost like the community center characters/action as much as the mystery/policing.

• Like 1

The Long Call is the adaptation of the Two Rivers book series. There's only one season. It's on Britbox in the US.

I've been rewatching some of the early episodes of Vera and had forgotten that the lead from that show, Ben Aldridge, was in the Sundancers episode from season 2. It's also funny how quite a few of these episodes have other characters comment on how good looking Joe is.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, krankydoodle said:

The Long Call is the adaptation of the Two Rivers book series. There's only one season. It's on Britbox in the US.

I've been rewatching some of the early episodes of Vera and had forgotten that the lead from that show, Ben Aldridge, was in the Sundancers episode from season 2. It's also funny how quite a few of these episodes have other characters comment on how good looking Joe is.

I didn't know they actually made a video, thanks for that, too. As I typed 3 rivers above, I thought maybe it was only 2, but trying to get a post done before the darn reload made me not care. Anxious to check it out. 

• Like 1
On 3/3/2024 at 7:30 PM, krankydoodle said:

Watching now, and I’m amazed at how these characters look exactly as I pictured them as I read the book. That never happens to me as I don’t have facility with faces/physical descriptions. The only exception was Matt’s mother-I pictured her much larger, stern-looking, yes, but with the potential for the severity to soften. Sad that there’s no forum for it here, and wondering if there will be more seasons.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Daff said:

Watching now, and I’m amazed at how these characters look exactly as I pictured them as I read the book. That never happens to me as I don’t have facility with faces/physical descriptions. The only exception was Matt’s mother-I pictured her much larger, stern-looking, yes, but with the potential for the severity to soften. Sad that there’s no forum for it here, and wondering if there will be more seasons.

Unfortunately (for me) I found the characters didn’t match mine at all! Jonathan in particular was way off - not enough contrast between him and Matthew. There was some discussion of the show when it was released in the “Detective and Mystery Shows” forum.  

• Like 1
(edited)
On 3/5/2024 at 12:46 PM, mledawn said:

Unfortunately (for me) I found the characters didn’t match mine at all! Jonathan in particular was way off - not enough contrast between him and Matthew. There was some discussion of the show when it was released in the “Detective and Mystery Shows” forum.  

I wanted to like the show because I am such a fan of Ann Cleeves, but the characters just didn't grab me.  I do hope there will be more though - a mediocre Ann Cleeves is still better than most stuff.

Edited by Suzn
Correcting spelling of Cleeves!
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
21 hours ago, Suzn said:

I wanted to like the show because I am such a fan of Ann Cleves, but the characters just didn't grab me.  I do hope there will be more though - a mediocre Ann Cleves is still better than most stuff.

All of the characters in this storyline are grappling with a great deal of internal angst. Not a lot of that comes through in the screenplay dialogue. However, plot wise, it follows the book closely.

• Like 1

I really liked episode 2, especially the scenes between the team members like when Kenny and Joe discuss Vera or Joe giving Steph a chance to sit in on an interview. Vera's toothache was a nice callback to the early seasons and how much Joe used to worry about her health. I'm enjoying seeing how their relationship has changed. I laughed when Joe balked at buying someone a tea, so Vera grudgingly agreed to do it instead but still asked him for the money.

The case was good too. There were a lot of suspects but it was easy to keep track of who was who and it kept my interest even though there weren't a lot of surprises.

• Like 5
On 3/8/2024 at 4:04 PM, krankydoodle said:

I laughed when Joe balked at buying someone a tea, so Vera grudgingly agreed to do it instead but still asked him for the money.

And there's the difference between Joe and Aiden. Aiden would have balked, Vera would have cut him to the quick, and Aiden would have gone to get the tea like a sad dog.

This relationship is far more interesting.

• Like 3

I thought there would be at least 4 episodes this season. I still liked it, but Episode 3 felt a bit unfinished. I didn't understand why some characters acted the way they did, and the subplot with Joe's father didn't get as much time as I expected. It was nice of Vera to call and check on him, though, since she's generally bad at that sort of thing.

The good news is that there will be a season 14, but it will only be 2 episodes: Vera season 14: Release date speculation and latest news.

• Like 3
On 2/7/2023 at 4:34 AM, LisaM said:

I watched Episode 2 tonight and liked it - even though I immediately knew the identity of the killer. 

Watching Aiden running after Tony - in multiple locations - and failing to catch him - cracked me up. 

I have just subscribed to Britbox, watched the first episodes of the current season and now am working my way through S12. (I have watched earlier seasons in previous years, love Vera).

There was one glaring mistake in this episode, which is very unusual for this series. The coroner would have known right away when she did the DNA test on the scarf that the killer was a female. Of course Vera would have been able to rule out all the male suspects right away and the episode would have been half an hour long rather than an hour and a half. So of course that detail was not mentioned. But still a glaring error (or omission, as the case might be). 

• Useful 1

Vera introduced me to the statue "Angel of the North" overlooking the countryside on what I thought was a summer day.

Tonight I saw it in black and white in winter and from the behind the 82971583-13246421-image-a-38_17115744884statue overlooking it's domain.

• Love 4

Just finished Episode 2 of the latest season. Very happy to see Joe back. I always preferred him to Aiden. As soon as I saw Shawn Dooley, I knew that he was the killer. He is recognizable British actor so...

I miss Jac but Steph works just fine too. Was glad that Joe backed off of being called "Sir" by Kenny.

Here's a depressing read about the looming end of the Vera episodes.  It talks about the signs that the series was ending, who left and who came back, and how few episodes will be in the next, final year.  There is also a great picture of the star as a person in real life as well as many photos as Vera. 

I can understand their reasons, I continue to appreciate the series, and I am definitely going to miss the thrill of anticipation of additional episodes.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-13336515/ITVs-Vera-AXED-14-years-schedule-shake-ups-cast-quitting-did-spot-clues-iconic-series-ending.html

• Like 1
  • Useful 1