Type keyword(s) to search

Vera - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just now, dgpolo said:

I'm sorry, I think it's a bit hypocritical of you to ask not to have spoilers while spoiling some of the MAJOR plot points in your own post. All of the current Vera episodes have aired so nothing is considered a spoiler, if you don't want spoilers don't read the thread until you are done.

This. I did not know about Joe.

2 hours ago, dgpolo said:

I'm sorry, I think it's a bit hypocritical of you to ask not to have spoilers while spoiling some of the MAJOR plot points in your own post. All of the current Vera episodes have aired so nothing is considered a spoiler, if you don't want spoilers don't read the thread until you are done.

I didn't ask people not to post anything from episodes after season 6 because it would be a spoil for me. All I asked was if someone replied to my post not to spoil future episodes; I think that is common courtesy  If I saw someone posting about Joe in season one, I wouldn't reply to their post with "Joe leaves after season 4".   

I agree if you don't want spoilers don't read the forum which I haven't and don't plan to. But there isn't any other place to post one thoughts. However, I guess if one posts in a thread it's fair game for anyone to reply to your post and spoil future episodes. So I won't be posting anymore in this thread. 

Edited by Fireball
edited
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, Fireball said:

All I asked was if you reply to me not to spoil future episodes.  If I saw someone posting about Joe in season one, I wouldn't reply to their post with Joe leaves after season 4.   I haven't read the thread and don't plan to. But I think it sucks that there isn't any place to post one thoughts unless you have watched every season. 

I haven't watched every season but I have no problem posting in here. I upvoted your post about Joe even though it was news to me because I thought it was a good post.

1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

I haven't watched every season but I have no problem posting in here. I upvoted your post about Joe even though it was news to me because I thought it was a good post.

I'm sorry that it was a spoiler for you. I wish there were separate threads for each season, but it doesn't seem like there is enough traffic on here to have that. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Fireball said:

I'm sorry that it was a spoiler for you. I wish there were separate threads for each season, but it doesn't seem like there is enough traffic on here to have that. 

I know it sucks. This site didn't used to be that way. It's a pity.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

I know it sucks. This site didn't used to be that way. It's a pity.

It is. So many of the forums have been vaulted and there is only one catch all thread for all season talks. I usually don't post on threads like this until I've watch all the seasons, but I've found that by the time I'm done watching all the seasons I've forgotten what I wanted to post. 😄 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Fireball said:

It is. So many of the forums have been vaulted and there is only one catch all thread for all season talks. I usually don't post on threads like this until I've watch all the seasons, but I've found that by the time I'm done watching all the seasons I've forgotten what I wanted to post. 😄 

But some of the shows have multiple topics. It's not right. Hell, The Young and the Restless has two different spoiler topics.

Finally got Season 10 on DVD from the library. 

Major Gripe: the medical examiner who goes to the bodies as they accumulate, they've got him dressed in a tyvek hazmat suit so he won't contaminate (or be contaminated by) the crime scene. He's totally covered, except for his face and his scraggly beard.  Who t h can guarantee that beard isn't dropping hairs and left over meals all over the place.

We've watched the first two episodes. I had a sad after both of them and the second one left me with one of the worst set of nightmares I've had in a long time. 

I try to avoid lots of death, Vera isn't making it easy for me. Eh, love?

• Love 1

Scraggly beard dropping hairs onto the crime scenes persists in 10:3 and 10.4.  I fell asleep during both. So did my husband.  Between the two of us, we fitted the story lines together for our satisfaction.

News: Kenny Doughty got second billing.

Possible joke: "Set against the breathtaking landscapes of Northumberland."  If you want breathtaking landscapes, rewatch Shetland. 

I'll keep following Vera, but I liked the books better than the more recent TV episodes, but that may just be me.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I've only recently started watching Vera and am only on the first ep of S3. Acorn lured me in but only had S1 and S2 so I caved and got BritBox. I'm already starting to wonder how Joe has stayed Vera's sergeant this long as he's clearly capable and should be promoted. I like how he takes care of her though, and seems to have a great relationship with his wife and kids. Celine also happens to be gorgeous! 

I'm a bit late on this but noticed that Paul Ritter, the actor who played Billy, passed away from cancer last month.

• Love 4

I just finished series 9 and was so excited to see Paul Kaye this season! I'm interested to see if they do more to reveal his backstory with Vera.

I have definitely warmed to Aiden and even though he isn't quite as close to Vera as Joe was, it's probably a more appropriate work situation. The final episode was nice for their relationship as you can see how hard Aiden is trying connect with/support Vera, while she rebuffs him. When he tries to come in the house for tea and she basically tells him to kick rocks, I laughed.

My current dilemma is trying to find series 10 as neither Acorn nor BritBox has it (in Canada)!

• Love 1

Happy Surprise! Went away for the weekend, returned to find Britbox offering Vera-Season 11. New episodes air every Tuesday! Same old Vera, opening with her leaving her house, eating, drinking coffee. As she approaches her vehicle, she takes one last bite, tosses remainder in the encroaching tall grass. Then, one more swig of coffee (or, tea?), dumps remainder at her feet, tosses the cup in the back of the vehicle! 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4

So happy to see Vera back! I thought that this episode (Season 11, Episode 1) was quite good. Lots of red herrings and Vera being Vera. Cracked up at her tossing the food detritus before she got into the car. Grinned at every "Pet". 

• Love 7

My biggest laugh came when Vera is in the morgue discussing the latest findings about the victim and gazes at a sheet-covered body pensively until Malcolm abruptly asks, "You know that's not him, right?" and she gives him A Look before leaving.

• Love 6

I liked the plot as well. Except, I could have done without the seemingly endless discussion of the “home life” drama that suddenly resolves (unseen) at the end. I don’t care, get on with the murder mystery. 
I also viewed this particular show as the best at coping with filming during COVID-19 restrictions. The only time I noticed anything different from past seasons was when she and her second climbed into her vehicle at the end. The way he snuggled into the passenger door corner seemed like he was getting distance, but I also thought they must have had plexiglass between them as well. 

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I found it very noticeable how they were all standing far apart in scenes. I know it had to be done, but sometimes I found it distracting.

Was the bald cop at the station the one who had blondish red hair?

I could be mistaken (usually am), but my visual memory of past seasons seems to be of the team all standing around their work areas-near their desks or computers, typically “distanced” from each other, often picking up notes or referring to computer screens to confirm their contributions to the discussion. I don’t remember them being particularly touchy-feely: no supportive pats on the shoulder or such. I always thought that was a subtle plot device, as it implied the team working their own leads without having to film an extra scene. 

As a matter of fact, I’m thinking if it was still in production, Wallander would have had an easier go of it through Covid restrictions as well. I don’t remember that cast working shoulder to shoulder, either. 

Edited by Daff
  • Love 2

Even with the guest actors you could notice the distance between everyone. walking ahead of each other never crossing too close. The way when Vera went to look at the body in the morgue, the coroner went to stand by the x-rays. It was like a choreographed dance. Even the background actors standing a distance apart. Stuff like that.

It was just really noticeable to me, but I scrutinize things in shows a lot. 

• Love 3
On 9/3/2021 at 9:19 AM, Writing Wrongs said:

Was the bald cop at the station the one who had blondish red hair?

Yes, that's Mark. It also looked like he's bulked up a bit. It's kind of funny that he's been on the show for so long but we don't really know much about his character. Vera assigns him tasks and he returns with information. I'm fine with the secondary characters not having much in the way of subplots, but it doesn't seem like he has much of a personality either.

Speaking of secondary characters, I've noticed a few former regulars popping up in interesting projects: Kingsley Ben-Adir (The OA, High Fidelity, Marvel's Secret Invasion series), Sonya Cassidy (Lodge 49, the upcoming The Man Who Fell to Earth), Cush Jumbo (The Good Wife/Fight, an upcoming Netflix-Harlan Coben series), and Wunmi Mosaku (Luther, His House, Lovecraft Country, Loki). Whoever does the casting has a good eye for talent.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 9/3/2021 at 9:37 AM, Daff said:

I could be mistaken (usually am), but my visual memory of past seasons seems to be of the team all standing around their work areas-near their desks or computers, typically “distanced” from each other,

There had been a curved sofa type seating area where at least a few people would sit, also there used to be a LOT more people in the office at any given time. We don't know most of their names (and did Aiden mention Helen at one point?) but there were people at most of the desks and on the sofa and standing behind the sofa. It was very, very noticable that there were only a few people there. When she was talking to the lawyer I noticed it took place outside and they sat on the stone wall about 6 feet apart, made me think of all the times Vera sat right next to someone on a bench at the beach, the man that died, the daughter of someone that saw them from the bus and got upset, the woman that was in the country illegally that Vera helped at the end... the distance here was just very noticable.

• Love 4

Ok, guess I just never noticed them. It just suddenly hit me at the end, in the car, that it was the first “distance effort” that was a bit distracting. Overall, I think the actors were more at ease in their roles than on some other shows. 

• Love 1
On 9/3/2021 at 1:29 PM, Daff said:

I also viewed this particular show as the best at coping with filming during COVID-19 restrictions. The only time I noticed anything different from past seasons was when she and her second climbed into her vehicle at the end. The way he snuggled into the passenger door corner seemed like he was getting distance, but I also thought they must have had plexiglass between them as well. 

According to a news article this was not the case:

Brenda, who has played DCI Stanhope since the series began in 2011, said because of Covid restrictions, she and Kenny had to be in a bubble together as they filmed a lot of the scenes in Vera’s Land Rover.

The duo even had apartments next door to each other while they were filming for series 11.

“We weren’t allowed visitors,” the actress explained. “Even my husband wasn’t allowed to visit unless he’d been Covid tested or quarantined beforehand.”

see:

https://www.express.co.uk/showbiz/tv-radio/1483380/Vera-series-11-Brenda-Blethyn-horrified-change-DCI-Vera-Stanhope

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I started binging this series last year. At the time, I had only BritBox and so I skipped the seasons that BritBox didn't provide. I liked the series so much, however, that I ended up getting Acorn, too, just so that I could finish the binge.

I was really happy to find out that Season 11 was available. 

I know Brenda Blethyn from the 2005 film version of Pride and Prejudice. She was SO good as the rather annoying, semi-hysterical Mrs. Bennet. In a wonderful cast, she really stood out. 

• Love 4

In a world where I think most television isn't aimed at me, doesn't care about character development and would rather insult me with too loud laugh tracks and bloody horrors, I have started paying attention to the writers who create shows that I enjoy.

Ann Cleeves created Vera, who is the friend I'd like to know from a distance.  She created Shetland. 

Now she has another Detective and the Series name is "The Two Rivers" Series. The first is The Long Call and if I googled a real report rather than a tease, it's being made into a four part show for TV. Her second book in the series is just out. 

It's time to start searching north Devon, folks, where author Ann Cleeves lived in her youth.  

"In North Devon, where two rivers converge and run into the sea,Detective Matthew Venn stands outside the church as his estranged father's funeral takes place." 

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, enoughcats said:

In a world where I think most television isn't aimed at me, doesn't care about character development and would rather insult me with too loud laugh tracks and bloody horrors, I have started paying attention to the writers who create shows that I enjoy.

Ann Cleeves created Vera, who is the friend I'd like to know from a distance.  She created Shetland. 

Now she has another Detective and the Series name is "The Two Rivers" Series. The first is The Long Call and if I googled a real report rather than a tease, it's being made into a four part show for TV. Her second book in the series is just out. 

It's time to start searching north Devon, folks, where author Ann Cleeves lived in her youth.  

"In North Devon, where two rivers converge and run into the sea,Detective Matthew Venn stands outside the church as his estranged father's funeral takes place." 

Yes, and Matthew Venn is being played by Ben Aldridge (Fleabag)! They're finished filming and it's supposed to be out this fall...which seems imminent 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 9/2/2021 at 3:01 AM, Daff said:

Happy Surprise! Went away for the weekend, returned to find Britbox offering Vera-Season 11. New episodes air every Tuesday! Same old Vera, opening with her leaving her house, eating, drinking coffee. As she approaches her vehicle, she takes one last bite, tosses remainder in the encroaching tall grass. Then, one more swig of coffee (or, tea?), dumps remainder at her feet, tosses the cup in the back of the vehicle! 

SAME! I actually squealed out loud when I got the email notification from BritBox. I've so missed her. 

• Love 2
37 minutes ago, MicheleinPhilly said:

SAME! I actually squealed out loud when I got the email notification from BritBox. I've so missed her. 

I love how salty she is. I was watching Protected yesterday and one of her minions goes "It's just as you said, mam, there was blood on the bat." And she comes back with "Huh, it's almost like I've been doing this for a while."

• LOL 3
19 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I love how salty she is. I was watching Protected yesterday and one of her minions goes "It's just as you said, mam, there was blood on the bat." And she comes back with "Huh, it's almost like I've been doing this for a while."

“Salty”…an excellent description! Have you watched “Kate and Koji” yet? More salty! I typically do not have the patience to watch half-hour sitcoms, but it was BB at her most salty and sassy. 

Edited by Daff
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I've come to this show late (like only in the last couple of months), and the prospect of watching all 50 (or whatever) episodes is daunting!

In general, I can get more into shows I've come to late when each season is about one mystery. "Self-contained" episodes, when there are so many of them, become like Groundhog Day. If I was going to pick and choose which episodes to watch, what are some of your faves?

On 2/16/2020 at 9:52 AM, LisaM said:

I just watched "Dirty", the third episode of the season and thought it was the strongest so far. Nice to see the entire team - including Mark - out in the field together. Good twists and an ending which was not predictable from the start. 

I just wanted to mention this as an episode that really affected me, so I wanted to add it to the recommendations.  I can deal with the cast changes, though I can see why people miss Joe, but I do get frustrated occasionally with some of the writing when the identity of the killer, and how it happens, really seems to strain credibility.  However, "Dirty" was a standout even though - not to give too much away - it also featured a killer no one would expect.  However the story went so much deeper than a typical mystery.  You had intertwining stories with the three families, with multiple characters who were either guilty, or felt they were guilty, and a victim who had been trying to make amends.

It reminded me very much in a way of the Law and Order Criminal Intent episode "No Exit" where there just seemed to be guilt or possible guilt everywhere.

Anyway I am enjoying re-binging the show, and Brenda Blethyn is always brilliant.

• Love 4

I watched Muddy Waters 2015 last night and so far it's my favorite episode. The windswept shores of the setting get me down sometimes but this one was set mostly in the lush, green woods. Vera is starting to warm up to Aiden but I miss Joe and Bethany would have made a great Number 2.

• Love 1

Finished the available S11 episodes.

Vera: When's Kenny back?
Aiden: Well, he's got the wedding tomorrow...
Vera: That's the third time his daughter's been married, by my count!
Aiden [off Mark's slight smile]: No - he's got three daughters, ma'am.
Vera:...Does he?

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
On 11/6/2021 at 11:12 PM, peacheslatour said:

I don't know if there are any Kathy Bates fans here but wouldn't it be cool if she did an American version of Vera?

Most definitely! In her “Harry’s Law” persona! Years later, I still chuckle when I think of her wielding a shotgun on her back porch, trying to shoot down a drone!!!!

• Love 4

I don't want Cathy Bates to play Vera.  Nothing against Cathy, but Vera is a British show set in the northern part of Britain and it's brilliant in itself.  (She will always be his biggest fan. Full stop.)

Let Hollywood make new shows rather than messing with British jewels.  So Hollywood gets the challenge of finding new material.....they're adults, let them work for their salaries. 

Two recent remakes were well done but didn't need to be made.  When one of them chose to copy and then (because of Spacey's disgrace) had to go off on a tangent- it lost in the translation from the original cynical sarcastic ending that felt just right to me. 

Or, in a century will we have as many talents playing Vera as have played Sherlock Holmes? Or will they opt, instead, for a version of Murder on the Orient Express? 

• Love 3

Let Hollywood make new shows rather than messing with British jewels.  So Hollywood gets the challenge of finding new material.....they're adults, let them work for their salaries. 

I didn't mean they should make an American Vera. I should have worded that better. I just think a detective show like Vera, with an irascible, brilliant detective in the Vera mold with Kathy Bates would be a cool show.

• Love 3
On 12/27/2021 at 5:34 PM, peacheslatour said:

Just so long as I can keep watching on PBS.

See, that’s what tics me off. My local has never shown Vera (although I suspect it would pull in viewership). And I did “get” your premise of fiery, older, female detective. Unfortunately, here in the US, the current sentiment toward older, wizened folks is to tell us we’re irrelevant and brush us out of the way with a wave of hand and pen! 
Watching episode 3 now, and cheering her on as she persisted with taking charge of the investigation. Go Vera. 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Daff said:

See, that’s what tics me off. My local has never shown Vera (although I suspect it would pull in viewership). And I did “get” your premise of fiery, older, female detective. Unfortunately, here in the US, the current sentiment toward older, wizened folks is to tell us we’re irrelevant and brush us out of the way with a wave of hand and pen! 
Watching episode 3 now, and cheering her on as she persisted with taking charge of the investigation. Go Vera. 

I don't see why not. Look at Murder She Wrote, The Equalizer and SVU. They manage or in the case of MSW, managed to get decent ratings with older, female leads. Plus the internet loves Kathy Bates, the same way they loved Betty White. I think it could work.

• Love 3