Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Episode Seven

So, who is Cyrus King ?  And how did he know to get a funbot loaded on the Raza -- in a secret chamber no less.

At least One finally got some action with the funbot, but by the end of the episode it looks like Two is taking the train to poundtown with One.

Wasn't a big fan of jealous Android -- I know what they were going for, but it didn't really work for me.

That outfit did a good job of covering up all of Ruby Rose's tattoos.  I found it amusing that the funbot had interchangeable genitalia.

The last minute turn around when the ship was practically on the surface of the star was kind of hokey -- because that would cause all kinds of external damage.

And Three loses someone that could provide more answers to his past.

• Love 1

I know Ruby Rose was the one being hyped in all of the promos, but I also got a kick out of seeing Natalie Brown from The Strain as Three's love interest (back when he was "Marcus.")  I guess I can see similarities between Three and Eph, heh.  I'm not all that familiar with Ruby outside of knowing she was on Orange is the New Black, but she was fun here.  And I'm glad they found a way to just have her use her Australian accent, and not fake something, since that usually makes Aussie actors/actresses come off bland.

So, now even Three ends up not being a full-fledged bad guy, but a mercenary who was against the "Company", and is even capable of love.  I'm starting to get annoyed that everyone is now more misunderstood instead of bad or even shades of grey.  Four and Six were both set-up, Five was a street thief but not violent or anything, and now this.  I guess the only hope now is that either One and Two are legit criminals.

Glad that One and Two finally hooked up, even though they have about as much chemistry as a wet noodle.  But I'm just hoping this will end all the stupid scenes like the one in the beginning.  Only reason that scene wasn't a complete bust was Six pretty much laughing at both of them.  Well, that and Two's brief nakedness...

I'm guessing Cyrus King is going to show up somewhere down the line.  Couldn't place the voice, so I don't know if it was a well-known actor or not.

Jealous Android was kind of dumb: especially her attempting all those accents.

Glad they opened the cargo hold, since that gives them provisions and hopefully opens things up for future story-lines and questions that can be answered.

• Love 1

Okay, it made sense that they didn't bring up the password last week if she didn't realize what she remembered overhearing, the way they showed this week. But since that was her reason for going under, maybe they should have at least asked about it and had her say she didn't recall anything for sure.

These people should just step away from attempting to write romantic relationships. It's just painful. Two really is acting like a bad Bachelorette. If there's a guy you're avoiding getting involved with and know is into you, dropping your towel right in front of him probably isn't the best way to handle things. These all seem like developments that should have come later in the series, after we'd seen them spending time together. Let any sexual tension have a chance to build organically. Otherwise, all this stuff comes across as looking very junior high, where it's all high drama over someone they see in the cafeteria.

But I kind of liked the killer robot plot, and I liked Android's jealousy and insecurity. It was amusing, at least.

• Love 10

It doesn't help the (supposed) romantic tension that One looks like a kid. Good lord, those scenes with him and Two are just painful. Thank goodness for the fast forward button.

And I'm just going to say it, Three is my favourite. I hope him turning out not to be such a bad guy doesn't cause him to lose all his personality. Someone on this show has to have one.

I thought i had missed the mention of Cyrus King somewhere along the line but I guess not. That all seems random.

• Love 4

Well, it certainly didn't take long for this show to resort to playing up the sex angle. A sexbot? Really?

Ugh to One and Two hooking up. They have zero chemistry and One is both the lamest character and weakest actor on the show. Honestly, I'd rather see Two with Three.

I still can't stand the Android.

• Love 1
(edited)

Ah, show! The emotional scene I wanted to see at the end was Five (or someone else from the crew) being there when the Android awakes and NOT One and Two doing the galactic donut - those first 5 minutes of stupideness were bad enough.

Seriously stop forcing those two on us - I kept looking at my watch bemoaning all the minutes wasted that could have been filled with stuff actually advancing the plot while these two were having a semantic discussion over 'status report'.

So Three is a jerk with a heart of gold? Not really news - I wish they had kept his love-interest alive. Her being there hanging between life and death could have added an interesting twist. But it seems once the character had delivered the necessary exposition (he's capable of love!) she had to go.

I liked the Android weirding out One with her accents and her front zipper down two inches - of course Mr Sensitive didn't notice. What bugged me though was that she caught a couple of bullets and was out for what looks like hours whilst evil-smirking (how subtle was that?) killer robot had Terminator-like healing powers (or whatever you call it). Either killer robot had a superior design (in which case I would recommend keeping her body for updating the Android) or we're just talking about good old-fashioned plot contrivance here.

ETA: Best part of this episode: Three shooting down One's attempt at guilt-tripping.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 5

Mainly, I loved this ep. Three's revelation was really good, maybe a bit on the tacky, Nicholas Sparks-side but that's ok. Too bad Sarah died, it would've been more powerful to keep her alive and it would've tied Three to the ship on a whole other level. Missed chance. I also liked how he communicated with Five. I'd cautiously say there's improvement in that relationship.

I actually don't mind that everyone has their redeeming qualities. You cannot have a ship full of Dexters and Hannibals. As Joseph Malozzi said, it's about people with dark sides to them not just plain killers. Three's just dark enough for me to believe that he's done some bad stuff, at the same time I can root for him just the way I root for Six and Four.

Now, One and Two is still a major problem for me. Two's a macho and a bully. I cannot believe her. She's written like a reactionary male character from the 70's. But because she's a woman, she's supposedly kickass and empowered. But being kickass and empowered does not mean that you get to be such a major douche. You cannot tease someone by being naked in front of them, dressing in stripperlike manner and then be all condescending because that other person tries to make a move on you. Make up your mind. Be professional or don't. I'm sure the writers try to be progressive and feminist here but actually they just serve the nerds' wet dreams with her. If I liked One more, I'd be sorry for him. But as it is, he deserves to be with Two. I'm glad Three's already over her.

ETA: Best part of this episode: Three shooting down One's attempt at guilt-tripping.

Absolutely. I'm glad Three pulled the plug on that right away. He's shown to be a lot more mature than One.

I don't really get how inconsistent these characters are written. It's like One and Two were written by 12-year-olds and the other characters by someone else.

• Love 3

I don't think they're painting Three as too much of a good guy.  He is/was a mercenary, a gun for hire.  Who knows how many he's killed and for whom.  Just because he fell in love/is capable of love doesn't make him a white hat.  He still is my favorite.  I would like to see more of Four and Six though.

As for One and Two's "romance" I hope it's leading up to some reveal, like realizing they are related when they get their memories back.  No, I don't think they'll actually go there, but I would love it if they did, just to mess with them.  If anything, it'll probably end up they are on opposite sides of some warring factions and they'll be Dark Matter's Romeo and Juliette then (gag).

As for One and Two's "romance" I hope it's leading up to some reveal, like realizing they are related when they get their memories back.  No, I don't think they'll actually go there, but I would love it if they did, just to mess with them.  If anything, it'll probably end up they are on opposite sides of some warring factions and they'll be Dark Matter's Romeo and Juliette then (gag).

This is one of the oh so many reasons I hate this particular plot so much - you don't hook up with a guy that for all you know could be your brother or your mortal enemy. Those people are in a situation where they should keep their hands (and other body parts) off each other. They same applied of course to Two/Three but at least the show never implied any romances therw.

• Love 7
(edited)

The only way I could swallow Three's farm romance was to assume that last week's childhood was his, so he was reverting to his farm boy ways. As for him being a good person, he's a mercenary, a professional killer who relies on his expertise to avoid as much personal danger as possible. He's not a nice guy. 

Six may have been used unwittingly for the bombing, but he slaughtered his friends in a fit of pique. Not nice. He was the one survivor  of the group who stole the Raza, and it ended up as a mercenary ship. How can that not be his doing? And, it's Roger Cross. 

Four...well, unfortunately Hollywood is so reactionary the producers may approve monarchy. But monarchs are villains, claiming something they have no right to on the basis of mere birth. And he plays with his knives so much I'm pretty sure there's some phallic symbolism going on there. 

Two is a woman who isn't a whore, of course she's fundamentally Hollywood good. Five is a street thief. Hollywood may approve a monarch, but a street thief never steals enough to earn respect. Nonetheless, she's not a whore, so she's fundamentally Hollywood good. 

Jace Corso's eyeliner proves he's eeeeevil. One, He Who Is NOT Jace Corse, is anybody's guess. But the show laughs at him, even while it acknowledges how pretty he is, so it's likely he will live up to his Jiminy Cricketness. 

Which gives an even split on the good/bad.

Edited by sjohnson
  • Love 2

I do wish the writers were aware enough to properly treat One's delusion that he deserves to get the girl because, well, just because. He's the stereotypical negative "Nice Guy™".

Android's insecurity was a bit forced. I had hoped she would have some sneaking suspicion that Funbot was a little too good to be true and have those concerns shot down (Funbot was creepily insistent with her 'Let me entertain you - now!' attitude).

• Love 2

The best part of the episode for me was the jealous Android. Zoie Palmer did really well with it without overdoing it.

I also liked Three and his romance. The character started out as my least favorite but is becoming one of the more interesting characters on the show.

Now if they can just stop it with the stupid One/Two romance and focus on the several mysteries the show has hinted at. I don't give a shit that One is a "Nice Guy" that entire designation and the fact that there is one actually offends me. Like nice people don't deserve happiness only assholes like three do...anyway not my point. One is just boring.

• Love 1
(edited)

This is one of the oh so many reasons I hate this particular plot so much - you don't hook up with a guy that for all you know could be your brother or your mortal enemy.

Yes. Also, every time Two mentions 'complications' or the like, I look at her like she has two heads. Complicated from where? Two doesn't know One from Adam. It's ridiculous.  Their scenes were stilted and turgid; I feared I might claw my face off.

I wanted more Android. Her resentment didn't seem forced to me because back at ep4 I got the impression she was lonely.  Perhaps lonely isn't the right word; perhaps it's that she believes she's isn't performing up to some kind of 'crew support' standard, but however one labels it, she seems to want to be more integrated with the crew.

I laughed during the accents bit. So transparent, Android! It threw me because she kept switching and it took me a second to catch on.

imo The stuff with Ruby Bot was too hammy.  Evil smirking? What is Aussie? Meh.

I did like Three's story with Sarah. However, nerd!me wondered why stasis pods aren't equipped with independent, redundant power supplies.

It occurs to me that character and relationship development is being written as if they might not get a second season so the writers are chaotically cramming in as much as they can as fast as possible.

Edited by DEM
  • Love 4

The "Nice Guy" designation is polarizing, mainly because people end up talking past each other because they are talking about two different things. The one is the genuine nice guy (with whom I have no quarrel) and the other is the rather less admirable "Nice Guy™" with the ulterior motive, the motive being to get into her pants as payment for being so 'nice'. One is being written as having a sense of entitlement, almost as if he should be viewed as having some sort of claim to a sexual relationship with Two simply as a result of his being the 'nicest' of the available men. When he's thwarted he consoles himself by masturbating with the robosextoy.

I don't think the writers are really aware of how they are writing him. It would be great if he does turn out to be the worst of them all, some self-deluded sick bastard who thinks himself the good guy, whose actions the authorities just don't "understand" and so they are "unfairly" persecuting him.

• Love 4

"It must be hard to fit in - especially in that outfit."

Who knew an Android could throw shade.

Aside from the Android-related comedy, this episode was just so-so to me. I didn't care one iota for Three's backstory, and I have zero interest in the brewing romance between One and Two. But Six laughing at One and Two's awkward scene was funny.

• Love 3

Yay!  Congratulations show!  Now that you've established the important fact that indeed, Three can love and be loved, you now only have six non character-setting episodes to actually do something with the collection of pretty people you've collected and barely sketched out.  Well done!

Oh wait, are two out of six of your human characters still bland personality free ciphers?  And have you forgotten to write plot for them and instead are more concerned with making them decide whether to fuck or not fuck?

Well, yikes then.

Android being jealous of sexy evil fembot is either funny or incredibly stupid.  I haven't decided yet.

• Love 1

Who decides what a nice guy is vs a "Nice Guy"?    For one thing One has been getting some serious mixed signals from Two.  I would be a little confused  by it as well.  Second (Oh this is going to get confusing)  Everyone wants to be loved and One thinking he is a better match for Two then Three has nothing to do with entitlement and has everything to do with him being a man who wants a woman.  Two got blown off by Three and then she is back to standing in a towel in front of One.  Yeah I can most definitely see his confusion.    One is a nice guy who has his eye turned by a woman.   He hasn't acted in any way any of my male friends wouldn't have acted in the same circumstances.    

Now One would be a "Nice Guy" if the whole things was false and he was just being nice to Two to get in her pants.  If he is genuinely nice then he is not a "Nice Guy".  A "Nice Guy" is someone who uses being nice just another game to get a girl and when it doesn't work they feel put out themselves.    This is not who One is.  Again because when HE was standing naked with a just a towel covering him he tried to leave.  It was Two who made the first move.  

• Love 2
For one thing One has been getting some serious mixed signals from Two.  I would be a little confused  by it as well.

Yeah, I've never had the impression that One was suggesting that she had to sleep with him because he was nice. He seems to be basically nice all the time. He was trying to be a gentleman to the sexbot, and it was only when she said she would get pleasure out of it too that he gave in. He seems to be more reacting to the mixed signals. He and Two have been acting like a team, and she's acted like she doesn't like Three at all. She told him she didn't trust Three and asked him to keep an eye on him (he didn't know she said the same thing to Three about him). So he has good reason to be all "what the hell?" about her sleeping with Three. Then she gives him the "complications" speech, suggesting that she's not sleeping with him because she likes him, but then she drops the towel in front of him and does the elaborate anti-strip tease, even while he was trying to be a gentleman and offered to leave and tried to avert his eyes. Her behavior is very confusing -- I don't want you, I do like you, I trust you and don't trust him, I'm sleeping with him but won't sleep with you, I'm not sleeping with you because I might like you too much, here's an eyeful of me naked, but don't get any ideas, how dare you be with someone else, okay now that I've seen you with someone else I want you. No wonder the guy was confused.

But really, this plot line would have worked much better later in the game when we knew them better and they knew each other better. It would be more effective if we'd seen them growing gradually closer and building a trusted friendship. I think the writers are just attempting to be "edgy" by throwing in lots of sex and lots of frank discussion of sex, and maybe they think part of that is removing the romance part. Because building a relationship over time after being trapped in a tense situation with someone wouldn't be edgy enough, I guess. Or they're about to drop a bombshell about one of them that will throw a monkey wrench into this relationship, and they needed the relationship to raise the stakes about the revelation. She still doesn't know that he's not really Jace.

Three kind of bores me because he's so cookie cutter. How many times have we seen the jerk with a heart of gold? You knew he was going to end up having a mushy side in spite of all his talk about hookers, guns and money. Then again, every character on this show seems to involve taking the most obvious traits of a corresponding Firefly character and sticking them on paper dolls cut out from The Giant Book of Sci-Fi/Action Show Tropes.

• Love 5

Ruby Rose makes everything better.  I had given up on this show due to the bore factor and the stagnant plot.  Then I heard Ruby Rose was on and couldn't help myself.

It's still boring.  I can't believe we still barely know these characters.  Getting snippets of their backstories isn't telling us who they are, why they are there, how their memories were erased.  The biggest problem is that they could likely figure out a way to solve some of these mysteries if only the dialogue allowed the characters to share the things they've learned along the way.  Not talking and keeping secrets is the absolute worst way to maintain a mysterious plot.  

One and Two?  This definitely looks like a twelve-year-olds idea of romance.  Why is this even happening?  Two also seems like a twelve-year-olds idea of a feminist character.  Meaning, she's awful and it fails completely.  This love sex thing is probably going to be the thing to completely kill the show so let's hope the showrunners are keeping tabs over audience reactions and they edit this plot out asap.  

• Love 2

But it's not funny!  

I started reading the writers intending romance when all the complicated/not complicated talk started happening.  They couldn't just have sex because 'complications' and complications usually mean feelings beyond hormonal sex highs.  That they both decided they wanted to proceed because complications are ok seemed like an intent to push for a romantic relationship between the two.  This isn't being presented as a Two and Three wham bam thank you for the orgasm hookup.  

(edited)

I am more interested in the are they bad guys or good guys or somewhere in between then some teenage romance.  The previous couple of episodes have hinted at backstories for several of the characters but the show has gone nowhere with it as of yet.  Honestly romance is just trite this early in the game.    If it was just sex.......that turned into something more later that would be a different matter.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
(edited)

What is on One's chest?  Is that chest hair?  It looks like he smeared dirt on it.

They still have dubstep in the future?  Man, what a terrible universe.

Edited by MrHufflepuff
  • Love 6
(edited)

I'm so glad One finally got laid. Maybe now he can go a few scenes without acting like he's a 12 year old boy and Two is his first Playboy Magazine.

Three is my favorite as well so I enjoyed getting a little backstory on him.

But for them to be in outer space somewhere, how come all the accents were of Earth origin (Australian, German, Swedish, etc.)? They couldn't come up with some cool new planet name to claim the accent belonged to?

Edited by Garnett7
  • Love 1

I'm so glad One finally got laid. Maybe now he can go a few scenes without acting like he's a 12 year old boy and Two is his first Playboy Magazine.

He got it on with the Aussie Bot. Didn't seem to age him one second.

Episode 7 of 13 is spent telling us that maybe three isn't a total douchey asshole. He actually can love!

I mean, okay? Who gives a fuck? You don't get credit for giving a shade of personality to a previously one note character. You certainly don't need an entire episode for that. And, as always, the show kicks the proverbial can down the road on actually giving him a backstory, because Three's Great Love ends up taking his secrets to her grave having only vaguely alluded to it.

One is the gooniest asshole on the ship and Two is a Hark A Vagrant "Strong Female Character". They're clearly meant for each other.

• Love 2

I actually liked the episode even if the Evil Android was obvious. You don't lock up a good robot in a vault unless you're either really worried about it being stolen or you want to make sure noone damn activated it.

I saw the Android as being insecure as the crew has been fairly meh about whether it continued to exist or not. Also she's a walking computer so she may be bored with routine maintenance functions and may want something to do that may be more mentally stimulating like conversation or investigating their mysteries.

In a way having all this highschool drama between One and Two happen now makes more sense than if it was to happen later because they don't really know who they are yet and acting on hormones and instincts is basically what they're doing. If it happened later they'd have less of an excuse for surrendering to hormones. This may pave the way to awkwardness when Two finds out that One is the space equivalent of a Narc.

I don't see 3 as being a good guy just because he happened to be stealing something from an amoral Corporation and was helping out a hot woman in an isolated cabin after he was abandoned. He's a mercenary on his own, hanging out with a sexy lady while he figures out some other plan. It doesn't mean he wasn't hired for jobs involving the murder of women and children and cute puppies previously. For all we know he may have felt some affection for her but had never said he loved her.

• Love 1

Well, it certainly didn't take long for this show to resort to playing up the sex angle. A sexbot? Really?

Ugh to One and Two hooking up. They have zero chemistry and One is both the lamest character and weakest actor on the show. Honestly, I'd rather see Two with Three.

I still can't stand the Android.

SF fans and porn fans have been among the first adopters of many technologies. The killer app being something that leads to a man orgasm since VCR tapes started renting and being among  the first widespread adopters of traded floppy disc and DVDs. I happened to watch Humans the morning before this episode and what happen? A man's wife wasn't in the mood so his domestic synth Anita lays on her back for the primary user concurrently with a bunch of teen-aged boys at a party getting ready to "rape" a synth since she resisted as they were not the primary user.

When you get down to it since there is no real reason for her to be  built like a human, that can't actually pass for one like a Terminator can and not like a Star Wars droid or one of Gene Simmons robots in Runaway a bang bot to use the Almost Human slang would be one of the first plots hit. I remember saying on that show why were the officer assistants in human form as they were just detached gunships. On Almost Human they even  played the episodes out of order to move the bang bot episode forward and even  the mighty Star Trek TNG wasted no time telling us that Data was fully functional

• Love 2

Oh, I don't have any doubts that Android technology would evolve in that manner. I was just commenting how quickly the show resorted to going for the lowest common denominator in making it a plot point. And it's not even that it got brought up. It's the way that it got brought up, which was obviously to titillate as opposed to actually being put in for storytelling purposes (unlike in Humans). It struck me as juvenile and pandering. But then, I also feel the same about the way Two's sexuality is written, so maybe that's just par for the course with this show. I shouldn't be surprised, I had massive issues with the way sex was handled on Stargate Universe too.

• Love 2

Oh, I don't have any doubts that Android technology would evolve in that manner. I was just commenting how quickly the show resorted to going for the lowest common denominator in making it a plot point. And it's not even that it got brought up. It's the way that it got brought up, which was obviously to titillate as opposed to actually being put in for storytelling purposes (unlike in Humans). It struck me as juvenile and pandering. But then, I also feel the same about the way Two's sexuality is written, so maybe that's just par for the course with this show. I shouldn't be surprised, I had massive issues with the way sex was handled on Stargate Universe too.

My pithy comment will be in the Other Shows thread.

I do have a non-relationship complaint. The sci-fi geekboy in me was irked by One's comment about the recycled water and not wanting to drink anyone else's pee. These people are all part of a larger longstanding starfaring culture, even those who grew up on a some planetary colony. Closed cycle life support systems that reprocess organic wastes, water, and atmosphere will be about as icky to people on a starship or hab as electricity is. They aren't going to be filling up their water tanks at every stop and evacuating the waste overboard as the go along like some present day airliner.

• Love 7

Could One get any worse than he was in this episode?

First I had to put up with him making the "If you slept with Three you DEFINITELY want to sleep with me because I'm a NICE GUY" argument (last heard uttered by half the world's rapists) then he actually acts bitchy to Two about the sex bot (She's just UNCOMPLICATED). This is the hero of the cast we're supposed to be rooting for?

Meanwhile, the sex bot story is once again totally overdone. It's like Mallozi has gone through a sci-fantasy checklist and made sure he checked all boxes. Zombies: check. Girl using sex to distract them from being evil: Check. Mind lost in memory/video game/virtual reality: Check. Mercenaries sent to attack outpost who change sides: Check. Group of random people stuck on spaceship unsure if they can trust each other: Check.

sci-fi geekboy in me was irked by One's comment about the recycled water and not wanting to drink anyone else's pee

YES. Thank you. That was just dumb. No culture surviving in space would not practice extensive recycling. All the water on board would be byproducts of something else.

• Love 3

Any M&M show is going to have massive problems with sexuality (do not get me started on SGA and the reasons why Jewel Staite was brought on the show).

And I had real problems with this episode - and I'm someone who doesn't mind One that much. Hey, he's easy on the eyes, and that makes up for a lot, with me. But in this episode he actively skeeved me out.

We start when he finds the sexbot parts in the case, and it's like he turned into a 12-year old boy. Then he makes that comment about her skin, and I started wondering if he's a serial killer or something.

And Two, oh lord. I mean, she's stark naked in front of him, and then she tries to play it like it's his dirty mind putting things out there? I love that at the end, One was initially like, "Thanks, but no thanks, lady. Not in the mood for any more of your shit." At that point, I wanted him to usher her out, because I don't understand what's going on anymore. Wait, I think I do understand. The show is trying to tell us she was jealous of the sexbot? Is that what it is?

Second bit which made me feel like I needed a Silkwood shower - the fact that he fucks a robot. Dear One: you are fucking gross.

Third bit (which was actually the first, chronologically): they put a sexbot in the story. And of course, sexbot is hot, and female, and she cooks. Of course, we don't get to find out what it is she cooks, it is just FOOD. We don't get to see anyone kissing, or making out, or anything like that. They have SEX. I sometimes wonder if this show is written by robots. You know, us human beings, we need some visual reference for things we're told. I'm not expecting food porn on the level of Hannibal, but at least mention some ingredients, so I know what the fuck you're talking about. Maybe it was written by the Hulk. PRETTY ROBOT MAKE FOOD. FOOD GOOD.

Same goes for the sexing - I'm not expecting True Blood style fuck fests, but at least give me something more than messed up beds and people getting dressed, or meaningfully closing doors.

I don't even want to talk about Three and his manpain. And when is One going to tell everyone about his evil twin? Wait, this is being saved for a huge mid-season blowout, right?

• Love 6

Any M&M show is going to have massive problems with sexuality (do not get me started on SGA and the reasons why Jewel Staite was brought on the show).

Heh, Mallozzi is like the embodiment of GG mentality.  

• Love 3

The best part of the episode for me was the jealous Android. Zoie Palmer did really well with it without overdoing it.

I wouldn't say it was the best part of the episode but it was fun.  A neat little tidbit was the android actually showing off cleavage.  The goofy accents were a bit much.

Speaking of goofy, did anyone feel the tone of the ep was too zany?  There was the jealous android plot and then the fight between Three and the sexbot looked very cartoony.  

But for them to be in outer space somewhere, how come all the accents were of Earth origin (Australian, German, Swedish, etc.)? They couldn't come up with some cool new planet name to claim the accent belonged to?

On a related note, is there any confirmation that aliens exist in this universe?  I know the crew of the Raza were rumored to be aliens but we haven't heard about or seen any aliens on the show.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yes, the episode was zany, but not in a good way. It was like watching some of those newer episodes of Andromeda or SeaQuest DSV when they stopped paying attention to plausibility and just overdid with the acid.

Of course there'd be a sexy android with murderous tendencies. Of course someone will have funnily named sex with the said android and of course someone (more than one person) would be jealous. On the other hand, there was the sappy-romantic-notebook-in-space plot, devised to humanize not!Jayne. All it did was give me headake how the actress playing the doomed love interest looked a lot like Zoie Palmer when unconscious.

The most interesting part in this lack-luster episode was the mention of Cyrus King (plot potential! Finally!) and the remark the sassy aussie android made to Three about being used practically like a slave-girl. Alas, no follow-up to this rather interesting point.

We had 7 episodes of this series and I've seen so little of this world it hurts. KillJoys have only one planet and three moons in the solar system, but I feel I've seen much more of that limited world. Dark Matter feels like a budget show with one corridor being re-set every two scenes... Oh, the good old days of Andromeda. Even the CGI looks similar.

The whole One/Two romance... Oh boy. It's a fanfiction where One is author's expy and Two is the sexy confident woman the author drools after. Scenes taken straight from "Teenage author 101": the strip-tease, pushing back, the convenient walk by the cabin's door when an object of affection dresses after sexytimes with another... Dear me. I wonder how the script looked like...

"And then Two looks at the scene LONGINGLY. Because it's the moment she realizes she LOVES him very very much. She bites her lip to signify frustration."

*le sight*

Edited by Ariah
  • Love 4

First I had to put up with him making the "If you slept with Three you DEFINITELY want to sleep with me because I'm a NICE GUY" argument (last heard uttered by half the world's rapists) then he actually acts bitchy to Two about the sex bot (She's just UNCOMPLICATED). This is the hero of the cast we're supposed to be rooting for?

His behavior would make sense if he turned out to be Two's psycho stalker ex-boyfriend.

• Love 2

His behavior would make sense if he turned out to be Two's psycho stalker ex-boyfriend.

Honestly, that would be amazing.  I mean, not amazing for a female character to have a psycho stalker ex boyfriend.  But amazing in that the writers would have written this sort of character in a fairly honest way.  He's a weirdo who thinks he's owed something just because he's supposed to be attractive (ymmv, I don't think he is) so if he turns out to be a crazy stalker, that would make tons of sense.  

• Love 3

Speaking of goofy, did anyone feel the tone of the ep was too zany?

Once again I think they're shooting for Firefly meets Farscape but are failing miserably to get the tone right (and remember both those shows did this exact episode). I thought this episode was absolutely terrible.

• Love 1

Swords actually make .. *some* amount of sense in a space ship. All fights are going to be close quarters. and you dont want to put holes in things, because they might be important bits of life support and/or explosive. Of course, a serious fight would probably devolve into "Who wins the hacker contest to control lifesupport"? because locking doors and turning off the oxygen is so much more reliable than melee... 

• Love 2

Swords actually make .. *some* amount of sense in a space ship. All fights are going to be close quarters. and you dont want to put holes in things, because they might be important bits of life support and/or explosive. Of course, a serious fight would probably devolve into "Who wins the hacker contest to control lifesupport"? because locking doors and turning off the oxygen is so much more reliable than melee... 

But do you know what makes more sense in a space ship?

A shotgun.

• Love 1

But swords (and other stabby things i.e. melee weapons) look cooler - hence all the sword-wielding sci-fi characters. Four is hardly a rarity.

I dunno, there's nothing quite like taking a full automatic shotgun and painting a ship corridor red.