Type keyword(s) to search

Stark Raven Mad

Athena
  • Start Topic

Great title, DollEyes. Congrats!

So, even though Raven wants to be a grownup in this show, it seems she's still a part of children's programming at Disney.

Raven-Symone Set to Return to Disney Channel

The “That’s So Raven” star will make a guest appearance on the Sept. 7 episode of “K.C. Undercover,” the children’s network’s comedy series starring Zendaya as teen-aged spy K.C. Cooper.

Raven-Symoné will play former spy and computer engineering expert Simone Deveraux (Raven-Symoné), who assists Zendaya’s character when her family’s sophisticated robot, Judy, runs away and is captured by enemy agents.

More here: https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/raven-symone-set-return-disney-channel-232545212.html

I have asked the question before and I will continue to ask it until I receive a satisfactory answer:  Why is she on this show?

I don't think it's a big mystery;  if you look at her resume, she worked [is working] for Disney for over a decade.  Those Disney shows were hits and had big audiences, many of whom are in the coveted 18-34 demographic.  Besides being a known entity to Disney (and by known I mean makes them money] I'd bet the thinking was she would bring a younger audience with her to this show.  Besides, after watching The View  myself all these many many years, I am fairly confident ABC doesn't get too concerned with credentials as much as ratings for this show.  Elisabeth Hasselbeck, Sherri Shepherd and Jenny McCarthy can be my Exhibit A, B, and C. 

I don't think anyone has expressed outrage as much as simple surprise at the carelessness of the cropped image which at first glance looks a little off to some. 

Ahh but we looked at it. Someone posted a link.   And I clicked on it.  Then we then talked about it and I posted another link.     And then we may have looked at her timeline.  I may or may not have noticed she is posting her OOTD and you can sign up for an email list of the info on the clothes and products she likes.  ALL this is marketing.  Raven may not know anything about history or  politics but she knows her social media and she knows something about  marketing/branding herself.  The original date on this photo is January 14 - during the time she was auditioning for this show.  Lots of "likes" lots of comments.  People check out her Twitter.... etc. etc.  

Of course none of this means she would be any good on a talk show but then neither was Whoopi.  Whoopi was/is a name with an audience all those years ago.  Raven is the same thing in my opinion.   They both have talent, but I'm not so sure it's in daytime TV. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 3

I agree, she can sing.  She has at least one album out too.   She's got talent but unfortunately, broadcasting on daytime talk show isn't it.  I think ABC thought she might bring her audience of millennials, the It's So Raven fans now grown up,  to the show? 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 3

I don't think she has much talent at all, whether it's as an actress, singer, or talk show host. I grew up around the time That's So Raven was on the Disney Channel and, even considering how awful everything is on that channel, it was still always the worst of the worst for me.

I don't know that either Raven or Candace bring any sizable fanbase with them. Tbh, I didn't know anyone actually liked TSR or FH--but I promise I'm not judging if you do. :)

• Love 3

Okay, so I am elderly and Mr. lookeyloo is 12 years younger than I am and we watched Full House back in the day! I can't believe I am confessing that tidbit.  But we thought "baby Michelle" was cute and sometimes there were funny lines.  When "baby Michelle" started to grow up, we stopped watching.  What does that say about us?  

• Love 4

I don't think she has much talent at all, whether it's as an actress, singer, or talk show host. I grew up around the time That's So Raven was on the Disney Channel and, even considering how awful everything is on that channel, it was still always the worst of the worst for me.

I don't know that either Raven or Candace bring any sizable fanbase with them. Tbh, I didn't know anyone actually liked TSR or FH--but I promise I'm not judging if you do. :)

Good to hear from someone that would know, TheGreenKnight.  I do think Raven has some singing talent but most people do compared to me.    On the acting, well let's face it - if she was a really talented actor she would be acting now.  Instead she came out of early retirement to do this show so.....

I've never seen either show but I've heard of them.  I had no idea Full House was so popular, but then I lived in Alaska in those days and almost never watched TV. 

Okay, so I am elderly and Mr. lookeyloo is 12 years younger than I am and we watched Full House back in the day! I can't believe I am confessing that tidbit.  But we thought "baby Michelle" was cute and sometimes there were funny lines.  When "baby Michelle" started to grow up, we stopped watching.  What does that say about us?  

It says you had less than a dozen channels.  Hahaha, just kidding.  I am the last person to judge someone's TV choices.   I've watched all kinds of stuff. 

• Love 3

I think Raven is an ill fit for this show and doesn't need to do much public speaking. However, she is talented. She can act. I watched and grew up on That's So Raven. It was one of my favorite shows. She has good comedic timing. I also saw her on Blackish and Empire where she did well on those too. Not to mention her roles on The Cosby Show and Hanging with Mr. Cooper. Her not acting as much right now my be due to factors none of us know. She can definitely sing. She's no Whitney(no one is) but has good tone and phrasing. I don't have to like her but I won't deny her talent. 

• Love 3

I think Raven is an ill fit for this show and doesn't need to do much public speaking. However, she is talented. She can act. I watched and grew up on That's So Raven. It was one of my favorite shows. She has good comedic timing. I also saw her on Blackish and Empire where she did well on those too. Not to mention her roles on The Cosby Show and Hanging with Mr. Cooper. Her not acting as much right now my be due to factors none of us know. She can definitely sing. She's no Whitney(no one is) but has good tone and phrasing. I don't have to like her but I won't deny her talent.

May Jacks,  I'm just curious is Raven the reason you started watching The View or were you a viewer before?  And would you watch if Raven wasn't on it?  I'm just wondering if there are people in her demographic that she brought to the audience?  

There really are not many good actors that comes from Disney. What they do quite successfully is put people in front of little kids who are easily manipulated and tell them how great <plug name in here> is. Then they bombard them with mindless drivel and make them stars... very little talent necessary.

Is the bar so low that a 4 or 5 year old kid is considered a talented actor?? 

• Love 1

That's not necessarily true. Unless one is talking about stars from Disney in the last...20 odd years? Because Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russell came from Disney, as did Annette Funicello, and most of the girls in the first season of The Facts of Life. And they were all decent actors; some even became stars.

• Love 3

There really are not many good actors that comes from Disney. What they do quite successfully is put people in front of little kids who are easily manipulated and tell them how great <plug name in here> is. Then they bombard them with mindless drivel and make them stars... very little talent necessary.

Is the bar so low that a 4 or 5 year old kid is considered a talented actor?? 

I agree. Nearly every child actor from every show/movie that's ever been on the channel briefly had a go at being a singer. In the past there've been a few they've struck gold with (either as an actor or a singer, rarely both), but there are 10 bad ones to match every one of those. Sometimes they even manage to make stars out of those whose only talent seems to be attractiveness or likability (see Miley, Britney, Selena; although I remember Britney could dance moderately well...?). That's why I say Raven may not be completely untalented, just like most of the Disney channel "stars"--but not enough that I'd personally call her "good" at anything.

Either way, the real reason I don't like her is that she has Whoopi's ego without Whoopi's resume.

• Love 1

Raven has said some dumb shit before, but her saying that she would refuse to hire people with ethnic-sounding names proves that she really lives up to her thread title. Raven's saying that, given her own name, not to mention her looks, is hypocrisy at its worst. Raven's saying that she wouldn't hire someone just because they've got the "wrong" name is messed-up, to say the least. Raven may have thought she was funny, but it was another epic fail. I'm guessing that some of Raven's co-stars on one of her most recent acting jobs-a little show called Empire-who are named Taraji, Bryshere, Jussie, Trai, Gabourey & TaRhonda, to name a few, aren't gonna be too happy with her.  While many Muslims change their names for religious reasons, there are many people who can't change their names, even if they wanted to and many of them don't want to, anyway.

As for Raven's not wanting to be judged based on her race and her sexuality, News Flash, Raven: people are gonna judge you on those things whether you like it or not, so the way I see it, you should own those things, not let others make you ashamed of them. 

Raven's spewing that bile may get the show more attention, but attention isn't respect. Like I say, "Just because a billion people got to McDonalds, that doesn't mean the food's gourmet." Raven's latest comments prove that like her co-host Whoopi Goldberg, she's not just stuck on stupid; she's marooned there. 

• Love 13

May Jacks,  I'm just curious is Raven the reason you started watching The View or were you a viewer before?  And would you watch if Raven wasn't on it?  I'm just wondering if there are people in her demographic that she brought to the audience?  

No, I've been watching The View since I think 2000 or 2001. I'm in my late 20's. I don't watch for Raven. I don't even like her anymore. I loved her before her "colorless" interview with Oprah. I grew up watching her even though we are only 2 or 3 years apart. She's a troll and I think she has self-hate issues or likes to tap dance for attention. I think there may be some dumb youth that thinks like her and may watch because of it but not many.

• Love 6

Raven's spewing that bile may get the show more attention, but attention isn't respect. Like I say, "Just because a billion people got to McDonalds, that doesn't mean the food's gourmet." Raven's latest comments prove that like her co-host Whoopi Goldberg, she's not just stuck on stupid; she's marooned there. 

I get the feeling that she often says things just to get the show's Twitter presence stirred up, especially after years of Whoopi telling the audience not to tweet or email,  and it seems to be working.   I could not agree more about attention doesn't equal respect, but I'm not sure anyone has respected this show for a very long time so they are happy to just get some attention.  Any attention.  

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5

Raven-Symoné ‘Ghetto Names’ Backlash: Will Actress Be Fired From ‘The View’ Over Racist Comment?

Raven-Symoné has found herself in hot water again for making controversial comments on "The View." As previously reported, viewers slammed the former Disney star on social media after she said on Friday's show she wouldn't hire someone who has a "ghetto" name.

Raven-Symoné has not yet responded to the backlash, but new reports suggest her future on the daytime talk show is in jeopardy.

According to the blog Media Take Out, producers told the 29-year-old actress she was going to be replaced on the ABC show because of the controversial comments. The site also claimed it's not clear if the former "That's So Raven" star will appear on Monday's show.

http://www.ibtimes.com/raven-symone-ghetto-names-backlash-will-actress-be-fired-view-over-racist-comment-2136046

Raven-Symoné ‘Ghetto Names’ Backlash: Will Actress Be Fired From ‘The View’ Over Racist Comment?

http://www.ibtimes.com/raven-symone-ghetto-names-backlash-will-actress-be-fired-view-over-racist-comment-213604h6

See?  This show is in the tabloid news all time now.  She's not going to get fired; she will probably get a raise. 

Whoopi Goldberg repeatedly defended Bill Cosby.  That's the most offensive thing I've ever seen on this show by anyone and even then they waited months before bringing Dan Abrahms to publicly "explain" to Whoopi why trashing 40+ rape victims might be a bad idea. This show loves this stuff. 

ETA: Did anyone watch Dateline Friday with a one hour interview with 27 of Cosby's accusers?  It's probably online if you missed it but are interested.  I wish somehow Whoopi would watch it. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 6

So, it's not just the general public who cringe at how dumb Raven is…it goes a deep as her father calling her out on social media "for the dumb shit" she says, lol.

Chris Rock was referenced here a few days ago ($5000 bullets=gun problems solved!).  He had a funny bit he used to do years ago, and coming from him, was very funny…something about "when did the black people lose their minds naming the children?"   

Edit:  Nextleration and I posted same thought at same time :)

Edited by MatchaLove
  • Love 1

So, it's not just the general public who cringe at how dumb Raven is…it goes a deep as her father calling her out on social media "for the dumb shit" she says, lol.

Chris Rock was referenced here a few days ago ($5000 bullets=gun problems solved!).  He had a funny bit he used to do years ago, and coming from him, was very funny…something about "when did the black people lose their minds naming the children?"   

Edit:  Nextleration and I posted same thought at same time :)

When even Raven's own daddy's reading her for filth, she's in deep shit.

Eh, Raven's dad is trying to make money off his daughter's career and has for the last three decades. He's just trying to get in her spotlight.  I don't count much he says and that he's saying it on FB while selling his "book" well...  

• Love 1

Eh, Raven's dad is trying to make money off his daughter's career and has for the last three decades. He's just trying to get in her spotlight.  I don't count much he says and that he's saying it on FB while selling his "book" well...  

My surprise was in that the Grio picked it up.

• Love 1

Raven Apologizes

"My comments about discrimination have spun out of control," Raven wrote in a Facebook message on Sunday. "I'd like to begin by saying that I was not attacking a specific race, but repeating a name that was said in a viral video which has received over two million likes."

Obfuscate much?

• Love 3

First, Raven herself has an oddball name because she hyphenates it instead of using Symone as her last name. Second, the issue of names comes into play before people get HIRED for a job. Employers can infer race and ethnicity by name, and the discrimination can start at the point that applications are being looked at. There have been studies showing that identical resumes will be sorted differently according to the name. Two identical resumes, for example, one with a name Jennifer and one with the name Tanikwah, Jennifer gets called for an interview. And the people doing it aren't always aware of their own bias, sorting through dozens of applicants putting them in two piles.

THAT is the issue The View should have tackled. But it would take more than three minutes, and doesn't lend itself to a punchline, so why bother?

• Love 10

First, Raven herself has an oddball name because she hyphenates it instead of using Symone as her last name. Second, the issue of names comes into play before people get HIRED for a job. Employers can infer race and ethnicity by name, and the discrimination can start at the point that applications are being looked at. There have been studies showing that identical resumes will be sorted differently according to the name. Two identical resumes, for example, one with a name Jennifer and one with the name Tanikwah, Jennifer gets called for an interview. And the people doing it aren't always aware of their own bias, sorting through dozens of applicants putting them in two piles.

THAT is the issue The View should have tackled. But it would take more than three minutes, and doesn't lend itself to a punchline, so why bother?

I don't if I saw it in one the links posted here or somewhere else, Raven's show "That's so Raven" actually tackled this very issue in an episode, with Raven character being the one discriminated against . Something about that makes what Raven said even more ridiculous.

• Love 3
I get the feeling that [Raven] often says things just to get the show's Twitter presence stirred up, especially after years of Whoopi telling the audience not to tweet or email, and it seems to be working. I could not agree more about attention doesn't equal respect, but I'm not sure anyone has respected this show for a very long time so they are happy to just get some attention. Any attention.

Eh, Raven's dad is trying to make money off his daughter's career and has for the last three decades. He's just trying to get in her spotlight. I don't count much he says and that he's saying it on FB while selling his "book" well...

Re the first point, while Raven's more controversial comments may fire up the Twitter verse, given her track record and the show's, they also generate negative publicity. While it has been said that any publicity is good publicity, this show has been such a PR nightmare for so long and has gotten so bad that the voters of the TV Academy gave Wendy Williams, who IMO, is sucks in her own way, two Daytime Emmy nominations -one for her and the other for the show- this year while The View got none. While Whoopi has said some very stupid things and knowing her, will keep saying them, Raven's ignorance doesn't help. As for Raven's dad's role in all this, while I agree that his motives are questionable at best, since he's her dad, in this case it doesn't matter why he put her on blast, it matters that he did.

• Love 3

It's funny that Wendy Williams and Raven's idiotic statements have been the last two things mentioned here.  

I was watching my Wendy's on tape last night and (on Monday) she had on the editor of Ebony.  They were talking about the controversial Cosby cover, and the subject of Malcolm Jamal Warner being interviewed on The View came up.  Wendy asked the editor about the things Raven had had to say .... and her response?  She just shook her head and said: 

"I dont even want to respond to much of what Raven has been talking about these days."  Just DISGUSTED and DISMISSIVE as hell, lol.  Wendy just smirked.  A knowing, shared disgust emanated from them both.

I imagine the "Watermelonia" thing was at least part of what she was referring to, although there are probably other Raven stupidisms she was thinking of, too.  I wish she had expounded upon her feelings, but she seemed above that kind of thing.  Her cold dismissal really said it all.  

• Love 6

Wendy probably only smirked because Raven is young, and Wendy's always wagging her finger at young people. Wendy's just as much an idiot as Raven, but she thinks she's more intelligent because of her age. Getting old didn't make you smart, Wendy, sorry.

Edited by TheGreenKnight
  • Love 5

It's funny that Wendy Williams and Raven's idiotic statements have been the last two things mentioned here.  

I was watching my Wendy's on tape last night and (on Monday) she had on the editor of Ebony.  They were talking about the controversial Cosby cover, and the subject of Malcolm Jamal Warner being interviewed on The View came up.  Wendy asked the editor about the things Raven had had to say .... and her response?  She just shook her head and said: 

"I dont even want to respond to much of what Raven has been talking about these days."  Just DISGUSTED and DISMISSIVE as hell, lol.  Wendy just smirked.  A knowing, shared disgust emanated from them both.

I imagine the "Watermelonia" thing was at least part of what she was referring to, although there are probably other Raven stupidisms she was thinking of, too.  I wish she had expounded upon her feelings, but she seemed above that kind of thing.  Her cold dismissal really said it all.  

I think the Ebony editor  would be reacting to Raven making stupid comments about how the Cosby show was a "sitcom not a reality show",  which was dismissive of the article.  The Ebony article is asking the question does the Cosby scandal erase the impact the cosby SHOW  has had on Black society and families?  

It's a legitimate question to ask, and it's certainly worth writing about.   Raven seemed to be of the opinion that the magazine was wrong in writing about the controversy, which is very small-minded of her.   The controversy is out there.  The scandal has tarnished the positive impact the show has had.   Cosby's behavior has tarnished the impact the show has had -  not the magazine, but Cosby himself.   

(and as i said before,  the show is the COSBY show, not "here come the Huxtables") 

raven thinks in soundbytes -  she reads twitter, not magazine articles.  I don't agree with the stereotype of her generation that they can't comprehend anything that can't be expressed in 140 characters , but she embodies that stereotype.   

• Love 10

raven thinks in soundbytes -  she reads twitter, not magazine articles.  I don't agree with the stereotype of her generation that they can't comprehend anything that can't be expressed in 140 characters , but she embodies that stereotype.   

I hadn't thought about it that way, but this is a really good point. 

Unlike her peers, she probably grew up in a bubble where her educational experience was limited to an onset tutor and I'm guessing didn't include lessons on critical thinking.   Then add in that she was apparently supporting her family as pre-schooler I'm guessing there wasn't a lot of pushback on much of anything she said or wanted.  Raven seems like she is used to people thinking she's much smarter than she's demonstrating on this show. 

Edited by Cosmocrush
  • Love 5