Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E08: Judge Cuts Week 1

• Start Topic

(edited)

With all the other talent on the stage, they put that crappy band through.  

It was good to see Piff again. 

The lady who shot the apple off of her own head was amazing.  

I was more impressed with the 13 year old Mexican girl singer this week than the first time she was on.  

The rest was all pretty mediocre.  I find the multimedia dancing too distracting.  It makes it more difficult to see the actual dancing. 

*Sorry, I made a mistake with the title.  It should be episode 8.  I do not know how to edit it. 

Edited by Commando Cody
  • Love 3

For me, it was all about Piff, the comedian, and the Mexican girl.  The rock band blows.  Who the heck were they even up against from the beginning?   I have not seen any rock band worth a spit this entire process.  This was a category default win if there ever was one.   Weakest I've ever seen.  Samantha, the soloist, is nothing special.  There are thousands like her.  Simon would have cut her karaoke behind before Hollywood on AI.

NPH was awesome, as always.  

• Love 3

Neil was a great judge; if he has the time, I'd love to see him added permanently, but we'll see.

I'm also loving the new way to do the judge's cut. Having people perform to an empty theatre never seemed right for me. I also have no problem with the guest judges and this use of the Golden Button since it just auto-pushes to the next stage. 

As for the acts, Piff won this hands down. I love his character and his humour and his attitude. His trick was probably a bit too simple, but his characterization around it makes it all worthwhile. The other magician sadly never had a chance, especially with such a basic trick. He took too long to get to the payoff and was rightfully buzzed. 

Count me happy that all the kids got cut this time. Hopefully that will continue on to the next rounds but I suspect a few anklebiters will get through.

The Comedian IMO was probably the second best act of the night, and probably benefited the most with having a live audience for the judge stage. The way he carried his banter through the judge portions certainly didn't hurt. (something Piff did well too)

The archer was also a highlight. Frankly I hope that she can bring her son into the act now that he's cut. Howard was right to buzz him, since bouncing a soccer ball is something we can see at just about any football game. Still, I could see him coming into her act, throwing the hats out and having her shoot them down or something. 

I liked the Rock band's first showing. This song fell flat. Not sure if there were some technical issues or they were just off, but the song didn't really work well. Still, I'm fine with them going through considering their competition this round. 

I sort've agree with Howard about the big dance group being a bit too busy; but they were watchable enough, especially compared to the rest, so I'm fine with them going through. Ditto the Techno dance pair; even if I'm getting tired of that type of act. 

And the singers, I'm a bit meh on. One was going to get through, but I'm indifferent to them all. 

As said above, Piff stole the show completely. He and the Comedian were the two strongest, with the Archer a somewhat close third. 

• Love 2

Was really disappointed that the Mexican 13 year old girl did not go through.  We thought she was wonderful.  NPH wasted his buzzer on Piff (he would have gone through anyway).   My UO is I not a big fan of Piff. 

Was disappointed in the other magic act.  remember liking his first audition.  His nerves were an issue and NPH looked bored with the trick.

I loved NPH as a guest judge - he has credibility and is just plain likable! 

The way that AGT cuts acts works for me. I like that they spend much more time on the front end - a variety showcase - then they basically highlight a set of acts with a second showing before the cut (so much better with an audience), and cut drastically on each round of live voting. It's different from other shows, and promotes the variety nature of the show. 

I'm glad they glazed over some acts tonight that didn't need a whole showcase. Like the dancing kids with "mean mugs"? They gave us just enough to show it was the same dance to a different song. Got it. 

The juxtaposition of the two magicians was marked. They essentially did the same trick (sign a token, it ends up in a sealed container), and the staging and production for Piff's version was so much better it was almost embarrassing. (well, relative novice vs someone who already performs regularly, so...)

• Love 5

My only quibble with Piff's trick is that he spent so much time with his hands hidden, that it's obvious that something is probably up. Granted, I missed that he let Heidi keep the deck while he was doing that, but still, there was a lot of hidden activity. On the other hand, his patter and act is so smooth you don't notice it. 

The other magician had a similar act, and while his hands were visible almost the entire time, his patter wasn't enough to kill the dead air parts of the act. (And there was a major tell for how the trick was done.

Slurping the exploding foam to me was a major tell. I don't know if that's how the act is done, but that's the most obvious way to do it for me.

)

This year, the cut downs are being done differently than they have in the past, and as I said above, I like it.

In previous years, we'd get a montage of everyone gathered, then separated in the "Cut now", "Go through now" and "Perform for your slot" groups. Then we'd get a couple eps of the "Perform for your slot" acts fighting to get on to the next stage. But previously those acts were in an empty theatre with just the judges, which made the acts a hell of a lot harder. Having them perform to a full crowd improves it immensely. 

Looking at the Wiki for season 10, we already have 4 acts in the live show. Their are 4 "boot camp" shows coming, each bringing 7 acts to the live show, for a total of 32 acts in the live show. 

Wiki says the Live shows will have 36 instead of 48 acts this year, which means the judges can pick 4 additional acts after the Boot Camp to come through. Wiki says the judges would pick 12 eliminated acts, but the math doesn't add up; we'll see I'm sure after the next few rounds. 

Agree that the Mexican singer far outshone her  dime-a-dozen counterpart who got through, even though the performance this time was not as strong. I adore her voice, even though I dislike most adolescent performers.

And yes, the rock band was the most average of the average ever. Blech. Rather, I can't even work myself up to say "blech."

What do you want to bet that the circus son was smiling because as we speak, the producers are planning a way for him show up in his mom's act?

And all the dancers this season can just go home now. I'm seeing nothing new or exciting here. Competant and graceful, yes. Mind blowing, no.

Myk Kaplan the comic and Piff the Dragon were the kings of this episode, without a doubt.

• Love 2

I'm actually glad Neil gave Piff the golden buzzer. I don't trust Heidi and Mel when it comes to either comedy or magic, so when I saw he was on last night's show, I was worried. Should have trusted that NPH would put him through.

I don't get the appeal of the large dance group. They ARE good, but we see a lot of good dancers on the show. Also, the "rock" band: ugh. And it wasn't the song, either. I just don't think they're that appealing.

I liked the trio with the techno stuff but it's just more of the same, once again, nothing that special. There are so many techno dance-y acts this year, it's crazy-making. It's not new anymore, if every other act is doing it.

Myk is legitimately funny so I'm glad he went through.

I love love LOVE Silvia and I don't know why I'm so crazy about her and Victor. She's got skills and I love that she's 60 and still adorable but doesn't hypersexualize herself like some. Victor's part of her act tonight showed where the son gets his juggling skills. I wasn't sad about the son not going through because his act was kind of boring, but he's obviously talented and was thrilled for his parents, which is cool.

I know that cute girl with the struggle-acious backstory can sing. There's no doubt about that, but I'm just violently opposed to singers on AGT when there are a billion other singing shows. Well, I guess AI is cancelled now, but still, The Voice.

Piff FTW!!!

• Love 6

Like some others, I'm very pleased with the way the cuts happened this year. It was very clear without much filler; last year acts just vanished or appeared without explanation while Howie ran around the card-throwing triplets' house ad nauseum.

Howard Stern is making sure I'll miss him when he's gone. I loved him giving some honest "good but not good enough" constructive criticism to some acts and flat out calling the cuddling out for the stupidity that it was.

• Love 5

Agree that the Mexican singer far outshone her  dime-a-dozen counterpart who got through, even though the performance this time was not as strong. I adore her voice, even though I dislike most adolescent performers.

And yes, the rock band was the most average of the average ever. Blech. Rather, I can't even work myself up to say "blech."

What do you want to bet that the circus son was smiling because as we speak, the producers are planning a way for him show up in his mom's act?

And all the dancers this season can just go home now. I'm seeing nothing new or exciting here. Competant and graceful, yes. Mind blowing, no.

Myk Kaplan the comic and Piff the Dragon were the kings of this episode, without a doubt.

Especially the multi-media stuff.  Just all the dancers were the same boring "Dance Moms" by-the-number crap.

The only act that really amazed me was the guy who drank the raw eggs.

Soccer ball/juggling dude is good at what he does but yeah... no. Bye!

I like Sylvia Sylvia and she looks great in a belly shirt. Her body is fantastic!

The dance troupe was fine but I'm with Howard, though I did have to laugh at him being all, "It's going to be so tough for them to make it through! Just wait and see!" etc. etc... and then they made it through.

The professional cuddler... an embarrassment. What were the judges expecting though? LMAO at Howard buzzing before she even started. Thank you.

So glad the mean mugging kids barely got airtime. You could tell it was just the same moves as last time to another song.

Michael John was not good. Just a horrible/boring presentation that was made even worse by Piff going immediately after and doing basically the same trick, only 100x better. I was embarrassed for him.

Myq the comedian was awesome! I'm not always big on comedians but I loved this.

17 shades of green or WTFever that band is called... no. Howie is so frustrating though. He's always telling bands not to do original music and to do covers instead, so they did... only now he's complaining that they're not covering a popular enough song. STFU.

Can we please keep Neil once Howard leaves? He was great.

I see that the "extreme" bus crashing people are back next week. That should be an easy cut.

• Love 2
(edited)

I actually felt bad for "The Hugger." The judges were really hard on her, saying that she had no business being on AGT. But they were the ones who put her through in the first place!! Her first appearance was good for a laugh, but she was clearly not a "talent" and there was clearly nowhere to go with this. The judges should have have politely sent her home this week, instead of humiliating her as if trying to make up for what they knew was a mistake on their part.

Sorry to see the 13 year old mariachi singer go. She may have been the most talented kid they've ever had on this show. She was actually a good singer, and not just good "for her age." (Which is my complaint about kid performers. They are always marked on a curve.)

I agree with a previous poster that her second appearance was even better than her first. Heidi called her a belter, but what's more impressive is that she has excellent control, and sings with real feeling (unlike that terrible screamer from last year, who ridiculously went much further). But I think the fact that she sang in Spanish is what did her in. Ultimately, unless someone can understand the words, there's a limit to how much they can connect with the song. I bet if she'd sang an English language song, especially a familiar one, she'd still be around.

Edited by bluepiano
  • Love 6

I actually felt bad for "The Hugger." The judges were really hard on her, saying that she had no business being on AGT. But they were the ones who put her through in the first place!! Her first appearance was good for a laugh, but she was clearly not a "talent" and there was clearly nowhere to go with this. The judges should have have politely sent her home this week, instead of humiliating her as if trying to make up for what they knew was a mistake on their part.

I agree.  it seemed like she was there for a different reason -  to promote that people should use hugs to connect, rather than thinking she was exceptionally talented at hugging.  So, a one-time thing, followed by "Awww, sweet idea, let's all hug more, BYE"  was what was needed.  They liked her, asked her back, then seemed to be mocking her.  reminds me  of American Idol, actually.  Tell bad singers they're great, then embarrass them for being bad.

I have an intense hatred for the show when the male judges get to coax, cajole, persuade, intimidate the female judges into letting acts through.  I don't recall Heidi or Mel ever pleading for an act, but Howard, and sometimes Howie, cross the line with insisting that certain acts go through.  The worst was Pyro-boy, with the fireworks.  His only talent is stupidity, he never should have been on the show, let alone be asked back.

• Love 1

Did anyone think for one second that Howard wouldn't get his way with the band? Either he wants one so badly even an average garage band will do, or those guys were recruited and already slotted for the live shows.

My household was soooo excited to see NPH! At first we thought maybe he'd become a permanent fixture next year, but them they mentioned his new NBC show. I would love to see him as a judge. Though when he spouted his line about singing acts not getting a fair shake I had to wonder if he has actually watched this show before... Granted, I'm biased. I'd be thrilled if they would eliminate singing acts altogether.

While I agree with most everyone that this new format was great, they could have spared us the back stories. How many times will be subjected to hearing the band boys talk about dropping out of college, and be reminded the singer comes from a broken home? Enough already! It just makes me want them gone that much more.

• Love 2

I like the way they do the judge cuts now. First of all, having the acts perform in front of a live audience is so much better than just that big dark room with only the judges. There's a world of difference between the two and having an audience definitely helps. Also, I like that they no longer divide the acts up into categories. When they did that, it felt like they had to fill a quota for singers, magicians, etc., but now they can just pick whatever acts they think did best. Hoping that will end up edging a lot of singers out who might have made it if the old format was still in place.

Agree on the NPH love. He is a delight.

I'm sad the juggling guy wasn't as good this time around. I loved his first auditions with the hats. But Sylvia Sylvina is awesome. Shooting an apple off her own head? The physics of the set-up was a talent enough in itself, but actually being able to do it? Amazing. I am totally rooting for her.

Super sad the little mariachi girl didn't make it through and that the generic "should be on The Voice instead" girl took that slot. The mariachi girl may have been young, which I generally don't like, but she was genuinely talented and the style was different than what the show usually has. I hope she finds success some other way! Also, her dress was awesome.

I felt bad for the first magician that his nerves got in the way, but so stoke about my man Piff. The dude is hilarious. His tricks seem pretty basic but the patter is what makes the act. Hey, as long as I'm entertained, I don't care. I got a little nervous at first when he decided to incorporate a dog...remember that hand balancer last year that brought his dog in during the cuts and then the whole thing basically became a dog act? But I don't see Piff falling into that trap. The dog seemed more just like a prop, not the focus of the act.

I liked 3 Shades of Blue in their first audition, but they really didn't do that great in this episode. I agree with Howie that the song choice was wrong, but not because it's not a popular song. Here's the original, for anyone who's never heard it and is interested to compare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6tppPbfyDo

It's one of my favorite songs to come out in the past year, but it's a hard one to cover. I feel like if they had really stripped it all the way down it might have worked, but I think by trying to go big with it they totally missed the mark. It's just hard because the lyrics are so spaced out and the song depends more on the background music/effects which a band like theirs wouldn't necessarily have at their disposal.

• Love 3

Im very satisfied and happy with all the acts that went through. Piff is hands down my favorite right now. He is literally a magician and a comedian at the same time.  The mexican singer was good but I think Samantha Johnson is a much better singer in my opinion

• Love 1

Also, I'm kind of curious about the AGT app that Nick mentioned before one of the commercial breaks and how you can "buzz" acts as they air and whatnot. Do we think they're using this to figure out what kind of acts people like and tailor the show more towards those kinds of acts for future seasons? Because that would be much appreciated.

I think NPH should be the new Howard.  I love him in all things.

Piff and Sylvia Sylvia are my two favorite acts hands down right how.  Piff is hilarious and a great magician, and Sylvia Sylvia is amazingly badass.  

The mariachi girl should have gone through instead of the woman singer.  She's got a great voice and much more unique. The other woman should go on Idol or The Voice or something else.  Maybe there'll be a wildcard round at the end somewhere and mariachi girl can come back.  

• Love 1

Piff!

On the negative side, I STILL haven't forgotten that Piff slipped and visibly showed how his trick was done in his audition.

On the positive side, I've loved his shtick since Penn & Teller: Fool Us.  

On balance I always wanted him to get through, but am slightly ambivalent about him Golden Buzzering. Again, only because I think his actual skill isn't quite as top shelf as his comedy (which is).