Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week of 07/13/15

Athena
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I'm not a Raven fan. However I think she was very smart to speak her own truth, i.e. he never did anything to me or in front of me and so on and then just leave it at that. After all, of all the panel members, she worked with him more closely and probably spent more time with him than all of them put together. She certainly didn't defend him or claim that the women were all liars.

Whoopi could have stuck with her opinion and backing of Cosby and actually gotten away with it if she had just put it out there and engaged in conversation with the other panelists and respectfully allowed them to share their own opinions and why they thought that way. People wouldn't fault her for saying something like 'this is really hard for me because he is my friend and I don't want to believe it to be true.' All of us have had friends who may have been unjustly accused of something or who did something that was not good but didn't negate their entire character. That's why I think that people would understand if she chose to want to back him. I don't see anyone castigating Raven for not giving an opinion either way and I think it is because of how she couched her comments early on.

Edited by maryis1
  • Love 15

Finally able to watch today, and yikes!   Worst part is when Whoopi says to the camera (to Cosby)  "It looks bad , Bill. either speak up or shut up.  Because people know now that there's a lot more out there than they thought." 

HUH?   who are these "people", besides you, Whoopi?  because the rest of us?  We knew.  We've known for a long time.   And we tried to tell you, but you told us to shut up, back off, stop being nasty, don't tweet you, because you DON"T CARE.   

• Love 20
(edited)

That's right. She's not supporting a dozen people, and in fact declared herself retired until she 'came out' on social media a couple years ago.

I haven't been watching every single day so please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't remember seeing anything where Raven actually defends Cosby. She only said he was never inappropriate with her four year old self and that she credits him with starting her career. That's not the same thing as screaming that she doesn't believe Cosby's accusers and everyone else can just shut up or refusing to consider that he in fact just may be a serial rapist. I've only heard her say she was uncomfortable commenting on it and that she had no personal knowledge of Cosby's repulsive behavior in the past.

Yes, this is my recollection as well. At some point people were trying to drag practically everyone associated with The Cosby Show into the conversation. When they started saying stuff about Raven she went to social media and basically said he'd never been inappropriate or anything but kind with her, that all she knew was that he had given her an incredible opportunity a long time ago and that she just wanted to be left the hell out of the conversation. That was long before she joined The View. As far as I can recall she hasn't said anything substantially different from that since until a couple of weeks ago except to say that she's just very uncomfortable discussing the subject at all publicly. I can't really fault her for that. She is in a unique position as it relates to Cosby. She was just a baby when she worked with him. She doesn't know anything except that he's the person who gave her her big break, and now suddenly she finds herself with a job that requires her to talk about current events when all she wants is to stay far away from this particular subject. Even her recent comments I saw as less of a defense of him and more of a refusal to commit to a position either way where he is concerned. I think it was naïve and probably willfully blind but at least I understand her reluctance even though her comments about wanting more "proof" are rightfully troubling given the overwhelming evidence.

Whoopi on the other hand is at a whole different level with a long and documented history of being an apologist/denier/victim blamer and deserves every single bit of criticism, mockery and blowback that she gets.

Edited by TribbleTrouble
  • Love 5
(edited)

I've lost count at how many people in the comedy world/Hollywood have come forward to say they knew about Cosby's dirty little not-so-secret.  Here is another one.  And big-shot Whoopi Goldberg is still playing dumb?  Maybe she is unable to compartmentalize.  Yes, he was Dr. Huxtable.  And he was also sick.  Notice at end of article the actor says there was always a steady stream of young actresses coming and going from studio.  Exactly as we projected that the role enabled him to "audition" women to portray expectant patients or whatever he was using as bait.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/cosby-show-cast-member-calls-bill-cosby-guilty-article-1.2292543

Edited by MatchaLove
  • Love 7
Only Whoopi could lecture the audience about the facts and make the definitive pronouncement regarding guilt when she was the one who had to have an attorney explain it to her.

That was the most infuriating part of it.  It's bad enough you're willfully ignorant, that you refuse to hear facts, that you compare the BC story to situations that aren't even vaguely similar, and that you dismiss any disagreements from your co-hosts.  But to insinuate there was anyone in the audience, studio or TV, who had any shred of doubt left about that scumbag was the biggest insult.

However, it was so entertaining to listen to DA using his special needs voice. "Yes, Whoopi there is something called 'statute of limitations'" and "No, Whoopi he hasn't been arrested."  The look on his face was priceless.

In short, WG is worse than a garden variety idiot, she's an idiot who thinks she's smarter than everybody else.

• Love 22

Richard, I started out being incensed by the video.  Her "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude is repellent.  However, by the end, I was sad.  I used to love Whoopi.  I loved her on talk shows, movies and TV.  But it's like a death in the family.  I can never watch her again without remembering her condescending and nasty attitude towards the audience and that includes me.

RIP Whoopi Goldberg.

• Love 10

I can't tolerate watching anymore, but clicked over to it for a minute and noticed that Whoopi is all dressed up nicely today, (well, nice for Whoopi and only from the waist up) in a somewhat fancy, dressy looking tunic.  Either all of her garbage bags and car tarps must be in the wash or else the execs are trying to make her look more professional.  You can't polish a turd.  And you can put (black) lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.

Somebody please stop Rosie p from splainning things....

LOL, she was "ummm"ing her way through some explanation of Pluto when I tuned in.  "Ummmm and so and uhhhh." 

• Love 6
(edited)

I'm willing to bet that Whoopi's sudden change of heart came from a meeting with the powers that be at Disney. Does it even matter at this point? The show is just a big, steaming, pile of excrement and nothing can redeem it. They just keep replacing one irritant with another. Whose brilliant idea was Raven? She is not only visually offensive with her shaved head and day-Glo wig collection but incredibly rude. Every time she disagrees with someone, she has to pull a stupid, eye-rolling face and glare. What is this? Grade Five?!!! At least her voice doesn't put me on edge like nasal-whine Nicole and thankfully-soon-to-be-gone Rosie, whose horrific "tawk" is enough to make one pitch the nearest remote at the flat screen.

And why the hell would you let your "moderator" go on camera looking like a deranged dumpster diver? At least the other women make an effort.

The Crystals....man! Did they sound BAD! Some of these blasts from the past should please stay there. Park it on the porch.

Edited by dinkysquid
  • Love 8

I caught a few snippets of the show today. It seems every time I see Michelle Collins try to speak, she is drowned out by the rest of the cast (Rosie and Raven). I have noticed it on more than one occasion. I never was able to figure out what the One Direction thing was about. My husband was home at the time and asked if thirteen year olds were part of their viewing audience. I seriously doubt it especially with the musical guests they had on today. That shit was sad.

• Love 4

Radar reporting that she was backed into a corner and made to do the the sit-down with DA by TPTB at ABC. 

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/whoopi-goldberg-bill-cosby-rape-claims-abc/

Of course she was forced to make the statements - that much was clear.   The thing is, it's pretty clear that Whoopi never looked at the story very closely, didn't know the facts because she didn't care to know them. She ignored any evidence that Cosby might have done something wrong, because she likes him.  Rosie O talked about cognitive dissonance, and that spoke directly to Whoopi's defense of Cosby - she can't LIKE someone and still believe that he's a rapist, so she either has to stop liking him, or deny that he's a rapist.  

Other people, Judd Apatow being a prime example, have written some pretty interesting pieces about how they experienced the same thing - liking Cosby, looking up to him, and then realizing that he was not the man he pretended to be.  they have been honest about their conflicted thoughts and feelings, and their choice to believe the women who were victimized even if it meant letting go of their idolization of Cosby.  

Whoopi - she's not that deep.  She doesn't experience cognitive dissonance, because she prefers to put her fingers in her ears and shout people down. She didn't believe the stories women told, because she chose not to listen. 

• Love 15

Michelle Collins looks like a giant sitting at that table!  I feel like ABC Daytime execs are such idiot assholes they've probably had meetings about how tall she looks compared to the other hosts.  Today was the first time I've ever seen her on the show.  It must be so awkward to be Rosie Perez and have to show up to a job you've been fired from.  She should just bow out now and blame it on her schedule.

• Love 5

Radar reporting that she was backed into a corner and made to do the the sit-down with DA by TPTB at ABC. 

http://radaronline.com/celebrity-news/whoopi-goldberg-bill-cosby-rape-claims-abc/

When I re-watched a clip from the Dan Abrams segment (it was on every entertainment program yesterday) I noticed her intro of Dan Abrams.  When she was introducing him and stating his "title" it was as though she was mocking him.  She was quietly seething.

• Love 8

I know, I know, the Iran Treaty is of major importance (& IMO Obama did an outstanding job addressing its ramifications) but I so enjoyed the Prez issuing yet another smackdown to BC & indirectly, to our dear Whops - it is RAPE, dummy, no ifs, ands or but(t)s!

• Love 6

I guess it is a major topic in the world at the moment, but it is interesting that the news correspondent has the ultimate face time with leader of the free world and he (or she---no idea who it was) asks him about Bill Cosby.

• Love 4
(edited)

Was it said here or elsewhere that Whoopi is deliberately trying to get out of her hosting duties while still getting paid millions? There has to be a clause in her contract that says she can be fired for cause and get nothing. When she screams at the viewers, "Don't tweet me cause I don't care!" wouldn't that be insubordination; i.e. "cause"? That's why she walks it back at the closing, thanking the viewers because we "make them good at what they do." She's walking a tightrope here. The legal teams on both sides have got to be pulling their hair out due to her antics. 

#FireWhoopi

Edited by merriebreeze
  • Love 5

I guess it is a major topic in the world at the moment, but it is interesting that the news correspondent has the ultimate face time with leader of the free world and he (or she---no idea who it was) asks him about Bill Cosby.

Well, in fairness, it's the call to revoke the medal of freedom that has been circulating for sometime now that is directly applicable to the White House.

The president's further statement was very carefully worded to be general and not specifically about Cosby and did not include any opinion on Cosby's guilt or innocence, and yet it still managed to strongly imply the president's thoughts on Cosby. Nicely done.

• Love 10

Well, in fairness, it's the call to revoke the medal of freedom that has been circulating for sometime now that is directly applicable to the White House.

The president's further statement was very carefully worded to be general and not specifically about Cosby and did not include any opinion on Cosby's guilt or innocence, and yet it still managed to strongly imply the president's thoughts on Cosby. Nicely done.

I had only heard the President's response in a short clip and not the question.  Now, of course it makes sense.   

I missed most of the show as it was preempted here....what did WG impersonate about RP?

It was not on today's show but earlier in the week when WG mimicked RP's Latin accent and even said "tawk" like Rosie does.  Camera panned to Rosie who looked stunned.  I was hoping for her to say how dare you but nada...awkward and insulting!  WG is out of control!

• Love 4
(edited)

I missed most of the show as it was preempted here....what did WG impersonate about RP?

You know how whoopi laughs at Rosie's pronunciations?   This time she imitated her voice and accent.  Yeah, it seemed mean-spirited to me. 

(ETA- or what Foghorn says,)

Edited by backformore
  • Love 4

At least her voice doesn't put me on edge like nasal-whine Nicole and thankfully-soon-to-be-gone Rosie, whose horrific "tawk" is enough to make one pitch the nearest remote at the flat screen.

Hey, I'm from New York, that's how we "tawk"! 

• Love 5
(edited)

A little off topic, but who the hell  was that woman sitting in for Nicolle?  Nobody bothered to introduce her in the beginning so I guess I was supposed to know who she was...

Sherri is looking out for you... She tweeted...

Can someone @TheView please announce that @angiemartinez is at hot topics table!!  Everyone deserves2 know who she is & her accomplishments

One would think she could contact one of her producer friends instead of tweeting!

Edited by springtime
  • Love 3

"Speaking of impregnating, the boy scouts have lifted the ban on gay scout masters."

That right there, folks, is whoopi-style topic transitions. Incompetent, as usual. I wonder how she would feel if she was reduced to being just a cohost and not a moderator? Is it in her contract?

It must be because why else would Whoopi stay the moderator when they had a pro like RO at the table?  

I tweeted thus to Rosie O'Donnell and she just Favorited it AND followed me. Yep, we're practically bffs now!

I want everyone to watch this video on youtube so they can "like" it and post it and forward it!  I think I am the only one that's done it from here and yet it had 30 likes on this thread. 

I'm willing to bet that Whoopi's sudden change of heart came from a meeting with the powers that be at Disney. Does it even matter at this point? The show is just a big, steaming, pile of excrement and nothing can redeem it. They just keep replacing one irritant with another. Whose brilliant idea was Raven? She is not only visually offensive with her shaved head and day-Glo wig collection but incredibly rude. Every time she disagrees with someone, she has to pull a stupid, eye-rolling face and glare. What is this? Grade Five?!!! At least her voice doesn't put me on edge like nasal-whine Nicole and thankfully-soon-to-be-gone Rosie, whose horrific "tawk" is enough to make one pitch the nearest remote at the flat screen.

And why the hell would you let your "moderator" go on camera looking like a deranged dumpster diver? At least the other women make an effort.

Hahaha!  *snort*   Her wardrobe does at least match her talk show hosting abilities.  

I agree - seems like a waste of a question but  Chris Matthews did a piece on this [Hardball, MSNBC] tonight - which is the first I heard about it.  He even had a couple of 'analysts' on to speak as to why this was a legit presidential question.  and why the medal could not be revoked without setting a precedent.  

• Love 4

It must be because why else would Whoopi stay the moderator when they had a pro like RO at the table?  

I want everyone to watch this video on youtube so they can "like" it and post it and forward it!  I think I am the only one that's done it from here and yet it had 30 likes on this thread. 

Hahaha!  *snort*   Her wardrobe does at least match her talk show hosting abilities.  

I agree - seems like a waste of a question but  Chris Matthews did a piece on this [Hardball, MSNBC] tonight - which is the first I heard about it.  He even had a couple of 'analysts' on to speak as to why this was a legit presidential question.  and why the medal could not be revoked without setting a precedent.  

I wasn't aware about the demand to revoke the medal, so it was out of context to me.  But, yeah, still an odd thing to ask the President.  Funny how the public is now hell bent on deleting all things Cosby (the statue at Disney, pull shows off air, take back medal etc.)  I'm surprised there hasn't been someone out on Hollywood Blvd. with a crow bar trying to pry Cosby's star off the Walk of Fame  :)

• Love 3

Funny how the public is now hell bent on deleting all things Cosby (the statue at Disney, pull shows off air, take back medal etc.)  I'm surprised there hasn't been someone out on Hollywood Blvd. with a crow bar trying to pry Cosby's star off the Walk of Fame  :)

They are!  I saw it on E! or something like that: people want it gone, it's already been defaced multiple times, but the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce (who does it) said no - they aren't going down that road, lol.  

I didn't watch today but thanks for reminding me about The Queen of Rudeness imitating Rosie Perez's accent the other day.  I think it was the same day with all the fanfare over Bangs joining the table.  So not only did Perez have to sit between her replacements she had to endure Whoopi making fun of her accent.  Nice. Nothing new though - this show has always been rude on a daily basis - to their guests or the audience or each other (or any combo of those three). 

• Love 8

You're absolutely right Cosmo & shame on me.  (I'll do it right now!!)

• Love 2

I didn't watch today but thanks for reminding me about The Queen of Rudeness imitating Rosie Perez's accent the other day. I think it was the same day with all the fanfare over Bangs joining the table. So not only did Perez have to sit between her replacements she had to endure Whoopi making fun of her accent. Nice. Nothing new though - this show has always been rude on a daily basis - to their guests or the audience or each other (or any combo of those three).

Whoopi has done that before and RosieP has asked her not to on air, but of course it's all about Whoopi doing and saying what Whoopi (don't tweet her she doesn't care) Goldberg wants, not listening to anyone else and disrespecting everyone including, or perhaps especially, her cohosts.

• Love 6