Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

Maybe J&T are only contractually obligated to do 5 out of the six GPs?  Maybe b/c they are working almost every weekend for 6 weeks and they wanted one weekend off? I didn't even watch Tracey and Terry since I watched the British Eurosport videos, but they must be busy too.  Tracey also reports for CBC and works on Orser's coaching team.

I also wonder if J&T opted out of CoC b/c there were no "stars" from the US (no Jason, Ashley or Gracie) to hype.  Karen Chen is an up and coming "star" for sure but she doesn't have a US title yet. Would've loved to hear what Johnny would've said about Boyang Jin and his quadapalooza.

Looking forward to hearing Tanith  - she's done a good job the times I've seen her and she can point out the finer aspects of ice dance.

Edited by apgold

I missed having David Pelletier do commentary last weekend when CBC had limited coverage.  I know budget restraints are in place, but it seems more and more the networks are doing "in studio" commentating vs sending people to the actual events.  I think this is brutal as I'm not sure what kind of footage is sent for them to review.  I always liked some of the behind the scenes snippets you would get from people who were actually in the rink watching vs far away.

Did anyone watch the Gala performances from Skate Canada?  I like watching the competition, but have to admit I really enjoy some of the exhibition performances especially for the dance and pairs.  This season also seems to be the season for many skaters to use various songs from the Romeo and Juliet soundtrack - the one with Claire Danes and Leo Dicaprio.  I like that the skaters can now have lyrics in their music when they skate.

• Love 1

Question for anyone: the technical scores that NBC shows in the upper left corner during the performance: is it the actual score, including the grades of execution and deductions, or is it just an estimate based on the elements performed?

From icenetwork on 11/14/15:

Peter Krick, the figure skating sports director at the ISU who is present in Bordeaux, also made a statement.

"I have just informed (ISU) President [Ottavio] Cinquanta of the decision of the French government. We're sorry for it," Krick said. "I'll propose that the results of the short program provide the basis for the selection to the (Grand Prix) Final, so that the skaters present here are not penalized by having participated in only one Grand Prix. This, however, is only a proposal, as the ISU Council will have to make a formal decision. But I am confident the Council will follow it, so that no one will suffer to have only one Grand Prix event."

Edited by Good Queen Jane
  • Love 2

Question for anyone: the technical scores that NBC shows in the upper left corner during the performance: is it the actual score, including the grades of execution and deductions, or is it just an estimate based on the elements performed?

The tracker numbers come from the official scoring computer. I believe the points for each element show up as soon as 3 judges have entered their scores. The total will then go up or down as the rest of the judges weigh in and the callers review anything that looks questionable.

Edited by Barbara Manatee
  • Love 1

I was just coming to post this, but selkie beat me to it. NBC has purchased the rights to figure skating events (as well as other Olympic sports) from Universal Sports TV and will be showing figure skating on its Universal HD channel (not be be confused with Universal Sports). They will be airing the Men and Ladies Short Programs from Rostelecom Cup on Friday night and the Pairs Free Skate and Free Dance on Saturday night.

• Love 1

I can't upgrade to Universal without paying thirty-five bucks more a month. Is there any other place to get figure skating?

For the most part everything is being uploaded onto YouTube. This is how my mom and younger sister have been able to watch. 

• Love 2

I watched the Russian competition ice dancing, and I noticed that many if not most of the pairs had a 1 point deduction in their final skate score. The commentators didn't say anything about it (that I heard). Anybody know what that was about?

I watched the Russian competition ice dancing, and I noticed that many if not most of the pairs had a 1 point deduction in their final skate score. The commentators didn't say anything about it (that I heard). Anybody know what that was about?

Most likely a timing deduction for a lift. If a dance team receives a deduction and they had no noticeable errors, it's most likely that they had a lift that extended beyond the allotted time. 

• Love 2

The ISU has announced the action it will take in light of the cancellation of the Free programs at Trophee Bompard in France:

1. The results of the Short programs will be considered the final result, and points and prize money will be awarded to skaters accordingly.

2. Since skaters were not able to compete in the Free Skate/Dance at Trophee Bompard, the ISU will modify the tie-breaking criteria for the Grand Prix Final as follows:

- If there is a tie after the best placement in the skaters’ two designated events, the total points scored in the Short Programs will be the first tie breaker (previously, the first tie breaker was the total points scored in the competition).

- If there still is a tie, participants who competed in two events will be given an advantage over participants who competed in one event.

- If there still is a tie, the number of participants who competed in the two designated events will be added to the total. The higher number of participants at a competition will count for the better total/ranking.

- If there still is a tie, all tied skaters will qualify for the Grand Prix Final.

3. The top 6 skaters/couples in each discipline will qualify for the Grand Prix Final; skaters/couples who finish 7 to 9 will be considered substitutes. However, if a skater/couple who competed at Trophee Bompard is ranked 7th, that skater/couple will be invited to compete at the Grand Prix Final.

This is probably as good a comprise as the ISU could devise. It doesn’t penalize the skaters who did not compete in France but still offers some avenues for skaters who were at Trophee Bompard a way to make the Final.

Under this revised procedure, Gracie Gold will qualify for the Grand Prix Final.

Patrick Chan is currently ranked 3rd in the Grand Prix standings and Max Aaron is ranked 6th. Assuming that Boyang Jin of China, Maxim Kovtun of Russia and Yuzuru Hanyu of Japan all make the podium at this weekend’s NHK Trophy, Patrick Chan would be invited to the Final as a 7th place finisher who skated at Trophee Bompard. There’s an outside chance that Max Aaron could end up in the 7th spot if Jin, Kovtun and/or Hanyu crash and burn at NHK, or if one of the three withdraws for some reason. The chances are slim for Aaron to make the Final but there is a chance. Jason Brown has withdrawn from NHK because of a back injury, so he won't make the Finals.

Volosozhar and Trankov have withdrawn from the Pairs competition at NHK, so they won’t make the Final. Seguin and Bilodeau of Canada could go to Barcelona depending on where Duhamel and Radford, Scimeca and Knierim and James and Cipres place in Japan.

In Dance, Gilles and Poirer of Canada also have a shot at going to Barcelona. It will depend on the placements of the Shibutanis, Hubbell and Donohue, Bobrova and Soloviev and Coomes and Buckland at NHK.

There is a lot more riding on the outcome of NHK this weekend than usual.

• Love 3

Thanks for the explanation, Good Queen Jane, all the scenarios of who can make the final is making my head hurt.

For the ladies, the final will be Gracie, Evgenia, Elena as well as Ashley and Mao, who skate next weekend.  The 6th and possibly 7th spot are up for grabs for a number of the ladies including Anna, Satoko, Liza or Rika.

I'm getting tired of Jason Brown. He was a breath of fresh air in 2014, but without a quad, he's just not competitive internationally. It's like being a female skater without a triple-triple. If he doesn't get one in the next year, I would rather he retire and do show skating, making room for the U.S. men who have quads but need more major competition experience to get over their nerves and start establishing themselves on the international scene.

• Love 3

cbc.ca is streaming the NHK live with the ladies currently being shown.  The dance is supposed to stream around 9:45.  Doesn't look like cbc.ca is going to stream the dance.  Looked it up on wikepedia and it doesn't look like there are any Canadian dance teams there so no wonder it's not being covered.  The main network has limited coverage beginning 2 pm EDT today with the pairs and men's and the ladies' tomorrow at 2 pm EDT.  Tomorrow is only an hour.

It's quite interesting watching it streaming vs network coverage.  Last week was fascinating watching the crowd in Russia and some of the reaction shots.  Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure I saw Nikita Katsalapov giving his new partner Victoria Sinitsina an extended kiss in the kiss and cry last week.  It wasn't shown on the network broadcast, but it was on the streaming.  Are they a couple off the ice as well?

Edited by Shades of Red

Holy, sh(*&, did you guys see the scores Hanyu racked up at NHK?  That's got to be a record, right?.*  It looked as though he nailed everything in both programs.  His 4T-3T in the SP scored 17.17 on that one element (although Boyang Jin outdid him with his 4Lz-3T in the SP at 19.33.  But even with that crazy element score and no major errors, Jin lost the SP by over ten points.)

Then in the LP Hanyu had two elements over 17 points (his 4T-3T again and his 3A-1Lo-3Sal).  He beat second place (Boyang again/) by over 40 points.

*Just checked Wikipedia, and Hanyu's SP, LP and total (322.40 - first one ever over 300) are all new records.

It will be interesting to see this.  I hope Johnny Weir is doing the commentary.

Edited by Harry24
  • Love 1

The police officer who was killed in the Colorado Springs attack on Planned Parenthood was Garrett Swasey.  He and his partner, Christine Fowler, were the US Junior Ice Dance Champions at the 1992 US Figure Skating Championships.

He moved to Colorado Springs to train at the US Olympic Training center there, and became a pastor and police officer.

article-colorado-1128.jpg

• Love 7

I watched the NHK coverage on NBC and wow, Yuzuru Hanyu gave a performance for the ages.  Three quads landed beautifully in the LP and amazing interpretation and  musicality.  I don't know how the other men can compete with him when he is this on.  The 18 year old up-and-comer, Boyang Jin, is trying *four* quads in the freeskate, including the quad lutz-triple toe.  He messed up quite a few of his landings, but holy cow, the bar is being set so high for the men that frankly I am rather scared of the injuries that are bound to happen as the men try to keep up with this!

• Love 2

... but holy cow, the bar is being set so high for the men that frankly I am rather scared of the injuries that are bound to happen as the men try to keep up with this!

I worry about this too. It's like pro football in that the human body was not built to take that kind of punishment. (Never thought I'd compare figure skating with football!) 

• Love 1

After watching Hanyu's NHK performances today, I was curious to see the previous world record scores. It's interesting that the men seem to be setting new record total scores every 2 years or so (okay, so it's mostly Hanyu besting his own scores), but in the women's field, Yu-na Kim's world record from the 2010 Olympics is still standing. Only Adelina Sotnikova's total from Sochi came close to it (even then about 2 points shy). Really underscores the influence of quads, and particularly multiple quads in a program, in men's singles skating. I wonder what it will take in the women's field for someone to set a new world record? There have been many teenage phenoms, but it seems the shelf-life of an elite female skater decreases faster than a comparable male.

While I'm grateful that we're getting more skating coverage because Comcast is now showing it on the Universal HD channel, I am appalled that NBC didn't interview Courtney Hicks on her first ever medal at a Grand Prix event and instead we were "treated" to Ashley Wagner's self-promotion, and I'm an Ashley fan--and just a side note, people who actually are tough don't talk about it, they just are.  How insulting to Courtney that her silver medal performance was virtually ignored and discounted and I hope she shows up at Nationals and medals again and takes the wind out of the Ashley vs. Gracie commentary that we're bound to get.

I also love Mao Asada and I hope she's able to get her act together again in time for Japan's Nationals because I'd love to see her at Worlds again and I also kind of hope there's an upset that breaks up Russia's band of fifteen year old girls and stops them from sweeping the podium.  

• Love 2

The 2015 Grand Prix season is now complete and the list of qualifiers for the Senior and Junior Grand Prix Final has been posted. Normally, there are six qualifiers in each discipline. However, the rules were modified due to the abbreviated competition at Trophee Bompard. If the 7th ranked skater or couple competed in France, they get a bye into the Grand Prix Final because they couldn’t do their Free Skate at Trophee Bompard. Under the modified rules, the Pairs teams of Seguin and Boldeau of Canada will be invited to the Final as the 7th qualifiers. The rule didn’t apply in any other discipline.

The U.S. will have competitors in every Senior discipline except Men in the Final, and will have competitors in Men and Dance in the Junior Final. For the first time since 2007, the U.S. qualified a team to compete in Pairs at the Grand Prix Final (Scimeca and Knierim).

Below are the lists of qualifiers for the Grand Prix Final in Barcelona, listed in order of finish:

SENIOR GRAND PRIX FINAL

MEN

Javier Fernandez, ESP

Yuzuru Hanyu, JPN

Shoma Uno, JPN

Boyang Jin, CHN

Patrick Chan, CAN

Daisuke Murakami, JPN

1st alternate: Han Yan, CHN

2nd alternate: Max Aaron, USA

LADIES

Gracie Gold, USA

Evgenia Medvedeva, RUS

Satoko Miyahara, JPN

Mao Asada, JPN

Elena Radionova, RUS

Ashley Wagner, USA

1st alternate: Rika Hongo, JPN

2nd alternate: Elizaveta Tuktamysheva, RUS

PAIRS

Duhamel and Radford, CAN

Kavaguti and Smirnov, RUS

Sui and Han, CHN

Stolbova and Klimov, RUS

Scimeca and Knierim, USA

Yu and Jin, CHN

Seguin and Bilodeau, CAN

1st alternate: Peng and Zhang, CHN

DANCE

Weaver and Poje, CAN

Chock and Bates, USA

Cappellini and Lanotte, ITA

Shibutani and Shibutani, USA

Hubbell and Donohue, USA

Bobrova and Soloviev, RUS

1st alternate: Sinitsina and Katsalapov, RUS

2nd alternate: Gilles and Poirier, CAN

JUNIOR GRAND PRIX FINAL

MEN

Nathan Chen, USA

Dmitri Aliev, RUS

Sota Yamamoto, JPN

Roman Sadovsky, CAN

Daniel Samohin, ISR

Vincent Zhou, USA

1st alternate: Deniss Vasiljevs, LAT

2nd alternate: Alexander Samarin, RUS

LADIES

Polina Tsurskaya, RUS

Maria Sotskova, RUS

Yuna Shiraiwa, JPN

Marin Honda, JPN

Mai Mihara, JPN

Alisa Fedichkina, RUS

1st alternate: Kaori Sakamoto, JPN

2nd alternate: Da Bin Choi, KOR

PAIRS

Atakhanova and Spiridonov, RUS

Oganesian and Bardei, UKR

Borisova and Sopot, RUS

Gubanova and Sintsov, RUS

Duskova and Bidar, CZE

Poluiana and Korotkov, RUS

1st alternate: Hoffman and Chudak, CAN

2nd alternate: Weinberg and Fernandez, USA

DANCE

McNamara and Carpenter, USA

Parsons and Parsons, USA

Loboda and Drozd, RUS

Popova and Vlasenko, RUS

Lauriault and Le Gac, FRA

Skoptcova and Aleshin, RUS

1st alternate: Abachkina and Thauron, FRA

2nd alternate: Carriera and Ponomarenko USA

Because of the abbreviated competition in France and several highly ranked skaters doing only one or no Grand Prix events due to injury (e.g. Jason Brown and Joshua Farris in Men, Volosozhar and Trankov in Pairs, Papadakis and Cizeron in Dance), this Grand Prix Final isn’t quite the preview for Worlds that it has been in the past. Still, the competition should be fierce among the skaters who will be in Barcelona as they take their measure of each other prior to Worlds in Boston.

• Love 2

And NBC isn't showing this until December 20th, even though the competition is the second weekend in the month.

It's going to be an exciting GPF, more than last season, IMO.  I'm especially happy that the Senior Ladies is evenly stacked with 2 from each country (Japan, US, Russia) and all have won a gold medal during the GP.  I think it will be a showdown between Medvedeva vs Gold with Mao getting bronze.  Of course if Mao is flawless, she could win.  But her season has been rocky so far, so we'll see.  Radionova could also have a performance like she did at CoR and make the podium as well. 

Also will be interesting to see how the US teams stack up in Ice Dance.  The Shibs have the momentum (who doesn't love their free dance to "Fix You?") to possibly beat Chock & Bates but it all comes down to the day.  Although I think Weaver/Poje will win gold.  Nice to see how deep Ice Dance is for the US with 2 junior teams vying for gold.

As for the Men (jr and sr), it's both Yuzuru Hanyu's and Nathan Chen's to lose.  I wonder where Boyang Jin will wind up in the standings?  I'm thinking it will be Hanyu, Fernandez, Chan, Uno, Jin and Murakami in that order.  While Jin can rack up the points on the tech side, his PCS is still developing.  On the flipside, Chan can make the podium on his PCS but let's hope his jumps are in order by the final.

Pairs will also be interesting - somehow I don't see Duhamel/Radford winning this year.  Either Sui/Han or one of the Russian pairs will win.

• Love 1
I am appalled that NBC didn't interview Courtney Hicks on her first ever medal

I agree this was an oversight, but I bet it's due to the limited broadcast time and the fact that programmers think their audience is stupid and only want to see interviews with known quantities.

• Love 2

PAIRS

Duhamel and Radford, CAN

Kavaguti and Smirnov, RUS

Sui and Han, CHN

Stolbova and Klimov, RUS

Scimeca and Knierim, USA

Yu and Jin, CHN

Seguin and Bilodeau, CAN

1st alternate: Peng and Zhang, CHN

Sui and Han have withdrawn due to Sui having a foot injury.  So Pen and Zhang will be in the final - still the only discipline with 7 entries.

I agree that Courtney should've been interviewed and I also wish they had shown the Shibs' FD (which won their first GP gold in 4 years) or at least Scimeca/Knierem's FS which got them in the GPF (as GQJ said above - the first time in 8 years that a US pair made the final).  

I don't remember seeing Courtney Hicks before.  She gets excellent spring in her jumps.  I wonder if she is working on a triple axel?  If she could clean up the jump landings and get a bit more polish, she would make a really good power skater.  Mirai Nagusu also looked better at NHK than I have seen in quite some time.  She was in great shape and actually had some life in her performance.  That 3rd spot for the US ladies national team is going to be very competitive!

Courtney has been working on a 3A - she's posted videos on social media of her attempts - don't think she's landed it yet though.

She was around last season and placed 4th at both her GP assignments but didn't have a great nationals.  She's one of those "if only" skaters since she rarely gets under rotated jumps or edge calls from the judges but rarely skates clean b/c her jumps are so out of control.  (You might not have recognized her last season b/c she was a blonde?)

I agree that Mirai is looking better than she has in a while.  She still suffers from under rotated jumps (especially on her combos) but she is more engaged in her performances.  As a longtime fan of hers,  I would love to see her make the world team this year.

• Love 1

Johnny tweeted that we should complain to NBC since the team would be happy to comment on pairs and dance. One thing about having everything else on Universal HD - I can see it at last.

What I really wish, though, is that the international feed that NBC uses would get some better sound - you can hardly hear the music.

• Love 4

I don't remember seeing Courtney Hicks before.

Courtney Hicks won Junior Ladies at Nationals in 2011. She had one of the most spectacular spins I even saw. She was considered a real contender but she broke her leg in the fall of 2011 and was out for a whole year. She was also being coached by John Nicks and then had to find a new coach after he retired. I'm glad to see her finally start to get back to some national prominence. She's only 19 (well, 20 on December 15) so she should just be hitting her stride.

• Love 2

What I really wish, though, is that the international feed that NBC uses would get some better sound - you can hardly hear the music.

Well, hardly anyone actually skates to their music anymore*, so it hardly matters, but, yes, agreed. Turn up the music and turn down the commentators' mics back in the studio in New York or wherever they do the off-site commentating. (Ryan Bradley's doing a pretty good job, but let's lose the other guy, who seems to have his lines fed to him. He's no Terry Gannon.)

*Case in point: Javier Fernandez's "Guys and Dolls" long program. Nearly every time the song in the medley changes, he's still finishing the move from the previous song. I blame the choreographer, of course, trying to cram everything into the cursed CoP, but it can be done (see: YHanyu's long program).

Well, hardly anyone actually skates to their music anymore*, so it hardly matters, but, yes, agreed. Turn up the music and turn down the commentators' mics back in the studio in New York or wherever they do the off-site commentating. (Ryan Bradley's doing a pretty good job, but let's lose the other guy, who seems to have his lines fed to him. He's no Terry Gannon.)

Total agreement on the music, or lack of skating to thereof. I think you could put pretty much anything behind some of these skaters' performances and it wouldn't matter (in fact, I think Johnny said that about someone). And so much of the music is either bland or has been done to death. I enjoyed Javier's Black Betty and he's back in boring world for this year. I happen to like Menshov's Mad World/Radioactive free (although both songs don't sound like themselves) and Ashley's Hip Hip Chin Chin but skating to Titanic includind dialogue - why??? James Horner's done at least half a dozen better scores that I can remember off the top of my head.

I've been enjoying the Grand Prix coverage on Universal HD. It's so nice to see all the competitors. The Barcelona crowd has been appreciative of ALL the skaters - they're much better than the Russian spectators who only applauded their own skaters.  I do think it's ridiculous that we have to wait until Dec 20 to see any of the men's and ladies' finals!

• Love 1

....damn my cable company for not carrying Universal.  I don't think I'd even know how people did if there wasn't social media.

It's hard being a skating fan out there (even if my favorites aren't skating as well as I'd like).

I've only watched the Ladies so far at the GPF, but the scoring seems, um, high. I'm used to them doing that at Worlds and Olympics, but the judges usually wait a while in the season before going crazy. Like, how does Gracie do an invalid element (and a not great triple triple) and still get a 66 in the short, and have various issues in the long and get a 128? And I really like Gracie! At least the placements were right.

I still think they are reserving at least one spot on the Worlds podium for Ashley or Gracie, the messed up short wasn't enough for Ashley to pull up this time, but honestly it might be enough at Worlds. She may not be my favorite skater (and seeing the Moulin Rouge LP for like the 11th time was a bit much), but even without having the consistency of some of the other top girls, Wagner still seems to be way more consistent than Gracie has been. In fact, in retrospect, I'm pretty amazed that Gracie was able to pretty much keep it together for Nationals, Olympics, and Worlds in 2014. Even if Ashley and Gracie are disasters at Nationals (though it seems unlikely it would happen to both of them in both programs, but I could see both of them having one bad program each and being held up), I'm sure they will be on the World team. If one of them can't make the podium with Worlds in Boston this year, I don't know if it's ever going to happen.

I've only watched the Ladies so far at the GPF, but the scoring seems, um, high. I'm used to them doing that at Worlds and Olympics, but the judges usually wait a while in the season before going crazy.

The scoring was high across the board in all disciplines - many personal bests for those who skated really well.  Not sure why Medvedeva is so ahead of the other ladies.  She's really good, but not *that* good.  And frankly, I think she should be penalized for over-use of the 'tano (jumping with her arm over her head), it just looks ridiculous.  And is there really a need to back-load her programs if she's such a great skater?  I think she's going to win Worlds though b/c she's a great competitor who rarely makes a mistake, or when she does, she fixes it if she can.

I am very impressed with Satoko, even with the tiny jumps she's grown into a beautiful musical skater.

Looking forward to US Nationals in a few weeks.  I think Ashley and Gracie will battle it out for gold and silver but bronze is up for grabs.  Could go to anyone but I'm hoping Karen Chen repeats what she did last year.  And this year, she's age eligible for Worlds.  I think it's between her and Courtney Hicks if Courtney can keep her jumps together.  Mirai is looking better this year but I'm pretty sure she'll be off the podium but top 5 or 6.  Polina could sneak in as well but she's been struggling with her UR jumps and growth spurt.

As for the men, I think it's Max Aaron's to lose.  He's got the quads and his artistry has improved as well as a GP gold medal.  If Jason is in good shape after his injury, he will podium due to his high PCS and that gorgeous Piano freeskate.  I think Nathan Chen will be on the podium too after his fantastic JGP season, having won the gold in the men's final.  Without a steady quad, I don't see Adam on the podium but he'll be top 5.

• Love 2
And frankly, I think she should be penalized for over-use of the 'tano (jumping with her arm over her head), it just looks ridiculous.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's over this. I feel like there should be a limit. Two or three times in one program is more than enough. 

And is there really a need to back-load her programs if she's such a great skater?

With Evgenia I feel like I'm watching an exercise in points for the most part. She's very good but she hasn't completely won me over yet in terms of style.

Even though Ashley isn't my favorite and I'm not a fan of the way she reuses programs, in terms of emotion and style I actually think she's stronger than Evgenia. The best thing Ashley has going for her is her consistency and she really isn't *that* consistent. She's just more consistent than Gracie, Mirai, and others. 

As far as the ladies I've had the most fun watching Russian Nationals. I wasn't expecting Adelina to be in the lineup. I wonder if she regrets coming back. 

I love Elena but I'm just not into her long this year. Polina Tsuskaya had a few interesting things in her program and she certainly gets excellent height on her jumps. I liked the entrance into her combination spin even though I didn't think the spin itself was all that amazing. In general I think she should work on her spins and the PC but I thought she was a nice surprise.

Maria Sotskova seems a little stiff but I like her and it's the first time I can recall seeing her skate. I think the choreography could have been more exciting but overall I'm really looking forward to seeing where she'll be in two years. 

I like Anna's program and I felt happy for her but I'd like the entire skating world to give Scheherzade a rest for a few seasons. 

I feel for Elizaveta, Julia, and Adelina. Two Olympic gold medalists and a reigning world champion and they're feeling like yesterday's news because of this endless line of talent. I hope they all come back strong next season. 

It's incredible to me how many strong ladies Russia seems to have at the moment.  

• Love 1

I saw criticism of Terry Gannon saying that next year Evgenia M would be yesterday's news (or words to that effect), but you can't say he's wrong. He also said that the Russian girls keep coming, and they do. That they bore my socks off is my problem, since they keep winning.

I'll be interested to see Nationals - I hope Karen Chen makes the podium even though I liked her program last year better. I know it's heresy to say, but Jason needs to get a new choreographer - since Riverdance, I haven't thought one if his programs has been a knockout. I'm not the biggest fan of Max's Swan but good for him for trying something different. Is Josh Farris going to Nationals?

• Love 1

Josh Farris is not listed on the practice groups list released by USFS.   Neither are Haven Denney and Brandon Frazier, which indicates that they will not be competing this year.

Not surprised about either of them, since both are recovering from injuries. While I think Josh has recovered from the concussion sustained last summer by now, he skipped the GP season and reportedly has not been training.  

When he's (rarely) posted things on his Twitter account, he's stated strong opinions about people injuring themselves to land quads.  Not sure what that means for his future plans in skating, but I hope he continues his competitive career.  He's about to turn 21, so I think he still has a few good years left in him.

I know it's heresy to say, but Jason needs to get a new choreographer - since Riverdance, I haven't thought one if his programs has been a knockout.

I didn't like his free program last year so much but I think his "Scent of Love" program is sublime this year.  I love all the spirals. 

I would like him to try a new choreographer at some point, but I don't see it happening since he's been working with Rohene for a long time.

Edited by apgold

Johnny tweeted that we should complain to NBC since the team would be happy to comment on pairs and dance.

That'll be the day.  Here's hoping Tanith and Ryan Bradley are being groomed for future commentating positions.  I'm tired of the silliness of those two.  Figure skating has a tough enough time getting any respect.

• Love 2

I like Tara and Johnny's commentaries during the skates;  I like their observations and opinions.  I can understand how they would grate on some people, though; Johnny is just over the top with his posing and hair/makeup, but it doesn't really bother me.

• Love 1

Johnny is just over the top with his posing and hair/makeup, but it doesn't really bother me.

Me, either. Because that's what the fast-forward button is for. I'd be happy to listen to Tara and Johnny opine about dance and pairs; they really do know what they're talking about. Ryan Bradley needs another season or two under his headphones, though. He's perfectly fine but a bit anodyne.

I think Johnny is/would be very good as a commentator, he might just need some more seasoning, and I've always liked Terry Gannon.  I haven't heard anyone yet that tops the trio of Dick, Peggy, and Terry.  I would like to see Tanith used more often.  I wonder if Charlie does any coverage?  I have a feeling he might be pretty good.  It's surprising that Evan hasn't been given a chance.

I am another one who would like to see Jason try another choreographer.  Last year's and this year's short have the same vibe to me; I'm no music expert but I would describe it as roaring 20s and I am automatically against a program where the costume has suspenders.  Too cutesy!  I really do enjoy Jason's skating and interpretation but he is reportedly coming off an injury that I bet was caused by trying to get the quad.  I don't think he is going to get it and I think that is a shame.  I would not be surprised if Max and Nathan battle it out at Nationals.  Quadless Jason at Worlds will probably be lucky to make top 10, the men's field is just that deep now.

The ship is sailing for Gracie too.  She has a ton of talent but she just does not have the competitive head and nerves to skate two clean programs. I wonder if Frank Carroll is the best coach for her. Ashley is not my favorite but she does not give up on her performance.  Gracie just looks like a deer in the headlights and going through the motions way too many times.

Since I mentioned Jason's costume, I have got to say something about Patrick Chan's short program costume.  A pull over sweater over a collared shirt with what looks like slacks.  The music is Mack the Knife.  He looks like he is 45 years old!  It looks so creaky, and old and unoriginal, compared to Hanyu.

Since I mentioned Jason's costume, I have got to say something about Patrick Chan's short program costume.  A pull over sweater over a collared shirt with what looks like slacks.  The music is Mack the Knife.  He looks like he is 45 years old!  It looks so creaky, and old and unoriginal, compared to Hanyu.

I always think of that look (pull over sweater over collared shirt and slacks) as the Brian Orser Look...very casual.  As if he'd just walked in off the street and decided to put on some skates and give it a whirl. But that was during his pro years, not competitive.

I greatly miss Dick Button.  I know he irritated lots of people but he was articulate and got after skaters for sloppy habits (remember how he hated the leg sticking out in a spin?).

• Love 2

According to a report from NBC Sports, Men’s skater Joshua Farris has withdrawn from Nationals, which will take place in two weeks in St. Paul.

Farris, who is the reigning U.S. bronze medalist in Men, withdrew from the Grand Prix series this fall after suffering a concussion when he slipped and hit his head on the ice. Farris is continuing to recover from the effects of the concussion and has not been able to train as he feels he needs to in order to be competitive at Nationals.

Farris is a beautiful and talented skater, but he has a history of injuries which have prevented him from reaching his potential. I hope he fully recovers and will be ready to compete next season.