Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

For the people who miss spirals and enjoy seeing them, out of curiosity--

Which male skater past or present do you think is especially memorable as far as having an effective spiral? Paul Wylie was the name that immediately came to mind for me but I'm sure there are others I'm not thinking of.

For the ladies it seems like it's a toss up between Alissa and Sasha with Sasha probably being the more creative between the two. Julia and Michelle are/were basically one trick ponies when it comes to spirals plus Julia never holds hers. I think Mirai's spirals might be my favorite among the current crop of skaters.

Naomi Nari Nam had a great forward Charlotte back in the day I can't think of many skaters who do this move then, now, or in between.

Spiral sequences from the nineties and before are pretty underwhelming in general though with only a handful of exceptions. Nicole Bobek had a better spiral sequence than the average skater but it was kind of a drop in the bucket compared to what Alissa and Sasha would do in the 2000s.

Sasha's spiral position was the cause of my all-time-favorite Dick Button comment: "Look how straight her back is! You could iron a shirt on that back!"

Michelle may have been a one-trick pony when it came to spirals, but it was a hell of a trick.

• Love 2

I loved Michelle's change of edge spiral.  She really made that into a "moment" in her programs.  Sasha had incredible spins, spirals, and flexibility moves.  She came along just a few years too soon.  She fell at least once in every long program, it seemed like, but now with the IJS that wouldn't have automatically put her out of the running.  She tried some triple-triples but I don't think she was very successful with them.  I don't think spirals are even required elements anymore?  There for a while all the ladies had to try to come up with a pretty good one.

Another competition, and I am still left to ponder:  why are the Americans lagging so badly in TES?  The US men and women are a good 10 points behind the gold and silver medalists.  The US ladies haven't had a real contender since Sasha in 2006.  Without a reliable short and long program quad, the men will never really contend. 

I did catch Julia's Romeo and Juliet.  She looks the part but definitely was not feeling it at TEB.  Elena was like a sprite and was really in the groove.  She looked quite pretty when she smiled.  Very young, but this may be her big year.  Hated Ashley's very blonde hair.

• Love 1

The last Grand Prix event before the Final takes place this weekend - the NHK Trophy in Japan. The schedule for live streaming of the competition is a bit odd due to the time schedule in Japan as well as that whole International Dateline thing that I don’t understand.

Here are the live streaming and TV broadcast times for the NHK Trophy. All times listed are EASTERN. As always, check your local listings for the times and channels in your area, as well as for any changes.

Icenetwork Live Streaming

Friday, Nov. 28:12:45 am - Pairs Short Program

2:15 am - Ladies Short Program

5:00 am - Men’s Short Program

10:00 pm - Short Dance

11:45 pm - Pairs Free Skate   

Saturday, Nov. 29: 1:50 am - Ladies Free Skate

4:40 am - Men’s Free Skate

10:00 pm - Free Dance

Universal Sports TV

Saturday, Nov. 29:   7:30 am - Men and Ladies Short

12:00 noon - Pairs Free Skate

Sunday, Nov. 30:    11:00 am - Free Dance

NBC

Sunday, Nov. 30:  4:00 pm - Men and Ladies Free Skate highlights

CBC

Saturday, Nov. 29:   4:00 pm - NHK Trophy Short Programs

Sunday, Nov. 30:     1:00 pm - NHK Trophy Free Skate Programs

Am I the only one who misses watching school figures? I mean, I don't want to see hours of them, but I used to enjoy them. At least the dance pairs still have to replicate a set routine. (They still do, don't they? Or did that get thrown out when vocals brought in? I don't mind vocals, as long they're thought through and stick to the program's theme, a la Javier F's Barber of Seville.)

Dear NBC/NBC Sports: I miss seeing the pairs and the ice dancers, thanks for nothing. (My version of Universal Sports has been skating-free.)

Edited by AllAboutMBTV

Am I the only one who misses watching school figures? I mean, I don't want to see hours of them, but I used to enjoy them. At least the dance pairs still have to replicate a set routine. (They still do, don't they? Or did that get thrown out when vocals brought in? I don't mind vocals, as long they're thought through and stick to the program's theme, a la Javier F's Barber of Seville.)

Dear NBC/NBC Sports: I miss seeing the pairs and the ice dancers, thanks for nothing. (My version of Universal Sports has been skating-free.)

I have no idea why NBC won't at least cover dance. You'd think there would be some interest after Meryl and Charlie's Olympic win just nine months ago, and even without them competing three different US dance teams have medaled in the Grand Prix this season. Chock and Bates won both of their assignments. I have been fortunate enough to see the dance on Universal Sports, but I think the casual viewers who watch the singles on a Sunday afternoon on NBC would also watch some dance.
  • Love 1

NBC is so weird about not showing the dance/pairs.  And I am getting annoyed that the ICE network doesn't seem to show the free skates on their website.

As much as I enjoyed Tara and Johnny at Sochi, but now I think they talk way too much.

The folks on the universal network seems to be more restrained in their chat.

I wonder how Hanyu will skate since his injury- or if he will medal no matter what since he is skating on home ice.  I hope he is better, after what must have been a pretty bad concussion.  And if Jeremy Abbot will skate well, or if he will psyche himself out.

I hope that Ashley makes the GPF.  I fear that if Gracie wins, Ashley will be knocked out, but there are probably more variables than just Gracie winning.  I will be interested to see how she skates with all these very strict rules about under rotating.  

Which brings me to wonder: Which is more costly, point wise, a fall or an under rotation?

I have no idea why NBC won't at least cover dance. You'd think there would be some interest after Meryl and Charlie's Olympic win just nine months ago, and even without them competing three different US dance teams have medaled in the Grand Prix this season. Chock and Bates won both of their assignments. I have been fortunate enough to see the dance on Universal Sports, but I think the casual viewers who watch the singles on a Sunday afternoon on NBC would also watch some dance.

It's especially confusing since the US could very well win another World Title in dance this year. In fact, we could end up with two teams on the podium.  I rolled my eyes so hard at the Gracie fluff where they called her an "it girl", meanwhile, she turns around and gets slaughtered by the Russian girls. All the while, they ignore the one discipline where we're a legitimate powerhouse.

I don't know that Gracie was exactly slaughtered at the Olympics by the Russian girls since she came out ahead of Julia in both the short and the long.

I'm not really bothered much by the hype surrounding Gracie because I feel like it's only natural for the American media to want another female star since we haven't really had one since the days of Michelle and Sasha. This doesn't mean that it doesn't bother me when NBC acts as if people don't care about dance and pairs especially after the success of Davis and White and the promise of Chock and Bates, the Shib sibs, etc. but I can't say that I resent the attention that Gracie receives. Honestly, given the overall drop in coverage and interest in skating over the years I feel fairly thankful that they're focusing on anyone so I guess I'll take what I can get.

• Love 1

It's a sign that you've watched a lot of figure skating over the years that when you hear that FINA has approved mixed gender duet synchronized swimming as a world championship event, your first thought is wondering how many Romeo & Juliet, Bolero, Carmen and Black Swan programs will show up at the inaugural event.

• Love 3

I am kind of amazed at how well Yuzuru Hanyu managed to do this season considering what happened at CoC and the timing issues he's had on his quads so far this season.  I was also surprised at just how close he and Jason Brown are in the final rankings (6 and 7 respectively) and point totals (and that in pure point totals, Brown is ahead by 2.38)--it seems to me, a person in no way an expert in all the vagries of this sport, that Hanyu benefitted from slightly easier competitive fields at his events compared to Brown, and Hanyu seemed to get more love from the judges in the program component scores. When comparing their scores, it seems ridiculous that Hanyu's CoC long program PCS, with the 5 falls, was 3 points better that Brown's SA long program PCS, with one fall. I would ask why that is, but I realize it's a tedious and likely fruitless effort.

Looking at the ladies field for the GPF, I am underwhelmed, honestly.  Gracie Gold and Ashley Wagner are perfectly fine skaters, but I don't care for their free programs this season. I don't care for most of the programs most of these six skaters are doing this season, with the exception of Eliziveta Tuktamysheva. If a Russian skater wins this GPF discipline, and it seems almost certain that will happen, I hope it's her.

ETA: Watching the NBC coverage of NHK, Terry and Tara's continual snarking on the overabundance of Phantom music selections--I appreciated that. Rewatching Sergei Voronov's free program, I realized what distracts me about his style--he leans really foward on his axel jumps, and his free program has a lot of choreographic dead spots. Daisuke Murakami's and Frank Carroll's reactions to Murakami's free skate scores was quite adorable. And Jeremy Abbott's performace, at least, was miles ahead of where he was from his first competition; I'm liking the minimalist style this season. When I first saw the final placements, and that he finished 5th behind Hanyu, I was expecting to see another splat/pop-fest. After watching both of them, I'm still confused as to how Abbott finished behind Hanyu, and by only a fraction of a point.

Edited by specialj67
  • Love 2

CBC showed a synopsis of the NHK trophy today.  I was very happy to see Gracie pick up her first Grand Prix win.  I also thought Daisuke Murakami was delightful.  I wish Yuzuru would take a little time off and get well - it seems as if he hasn't gotten over the collision yet.  I know that skating is insanely competitive in Japan, because their teams are so deep, but you'd think that his status as reigning Olympic and World Champion would earn him a little credit.

It's going to be a weird GP final.  Aside from Gracie, I'm not really thrilled with any of the women's skaters (I miss Yu-Na and Mao and love Mirai), and I like just about all of the men's skaters, so I hope I can at least see that part of the competition. 

Bummer for Carolina Kostner.  I really don't understand why they would ban her for four years for having a boyfriend with a doping scandal.  That seems really excessive. 

Assisting someone in committing a doping offense is effectively considered to be the same thing as doping yourself in the modern WADA rulebook. And you do not make a doctor's visit to Michele Ferrari, now under a lifetime ban from associating with professional athletes because he was passing out EPO like candy to any decent pro cyclist of the 00s, because a knee feels a bit of a twinge.

Lay down with the radioactive and the resulting glow isn't necessarily the glow of good health.

Assisting someone in committing a doping offense is effectively considered to be the same thing as doping yourself in the modern WADA rulebook. And you do not make a doctor's visit to Michele Ferrari, now under a lifetime ban from associating with professional athletes because he was passing out EPO like candy to any decent pro cyclist of the 00s, because a knee feels a bit of a twinge.

Aha!  That makes the whole thing much more comprehensible.  I have been out of the loop when it comes to such things.  Thanks for the clarification.

I really, really hope that Yuzuru Hanyu will be all right.  His skating/timing looked off to me and I am sure hoping that it is just a temporary aftermath of his collision at Cup of China.  I think he might have been better off not to skate after the collision and to have skipped the NHK competition.  I do enjoy his skating a lot.

I happened to watch Josh Farris's performances on youtube.  I think he messed up on nearly every jump, but what a beautiful skater he is!  Beautiful posture, line, and flow on the ice.  Great spins and very nice musicality.  I believe he is coming off an injury and I would love to see him back at form by Nationals.  Would like to see him, Jason, and Ricky Dornbush skate well at Nationals and see where it all ends up. 

• Love 2

I really hope Hanyu can regain his form (and health, if that is still an issue) because I would love to see that beautiful Chopin short program skated well.  He seems to have a whole new sense of line, elegance and power of expression with that one.  I thought he would be eternally an extremely talented floppy puppy and am glad to be proven wrong.

I like Elladj Balde. He needs a lot of polish, but it's refreshing to see a skater who looks like a man rather than a boy. As for the boys, I'm sorry Joshua Farris bombed at NHK. He's a beautiful skater.

Hanyu injured himself badly enough to need staples in his head but he's out there skating (and being overmarked)? WTF?

Edited by honeywest
  • Love 1

Which brings me to wonder: Which is more costly, point wise, a fall or an under rotation?

It depends. If the skater makes all the revolutions and then falls, he/she gets the full base score for the element, but will likely get -3 in GOEs and -1 off the total score. A 3/4 under rotation means 1/4 off the base score and likely negative GOEs. If the under rotation is less than 3/4, the jump is downgraded, which means that the base score is lower and could also mean no points for the jump if it was a required element. 

I would love to see that beautiful Chopin short program skated well.

His CoC performance of it, which was before the collision and head injury, was quite beautiful, even with the error on the lutz jump.

I happened to watch Josh Farris's performances on youtube.  I think he messed up on nearly every jump, but what a beautiful skater he is!  Beautiful posture, line, and flow on the ice.  Great spins and very nice musicality.

ITA. He is one of those skaters I would gladly watch an entire jump-free program of and not feel like I was missing out on anything--unlike about 75% of the top skaters on the scene right now.

• Love 1

So if you took all the skaters doing Phantom of the Opera this season and put them together, would you get the whole musical? Hopefully after this season's OD on this music, it will be given a few seasons rest.

Men:

Hanyu, LP

Mura, LP

Ladies:

Murakami, LP and SP

Gold, LP

I feel like I've heard it more times than this though--are any of the pairs using it too?

ETA: I also love Dice Murakami. He seemed like such a happy, giddy person and he didn't even roll his eyes at Andrea. So happy for him on his major breakthrough competition. I hope he can build on the momentum.

Edited by MaKaM

Ratings for skating on NBC aren’t good, according to Sports Media Watch. Trophée Éric Bompard, the fourth event in the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating, drew a 0.6 final rating and 899,000 viewers on NBC on November 22 — down a third in ratings and 35% in viewership from last year (0.9, 1.4M). However, this past weekend’s NHK Trophy from Japan drew a 0.8 overnight, up a tick from last year (0.7) and even with 2012.

What they show is having trouble keeping my attention, so I get the poor ratings. I've never cared much for mens' skating; although, I do like Hanyu. The ladies' skating doesn't seem to value grace anymore, and I can't handle the flailing arms, the unfinished moves, and all the falling. I'd love to watch ice dancing and some pairs, but NBC doesn't seem to agree there.

Last weekend, I watched the cheesy skating special and fast forwarded through most of the competition later on the DVR. I'm a casual watcher, and no one seems to have the personality or showmanship that I like to see. Even if Brian Boitano, Ilia Kulik, Kurt Browning, and others can't do everything they used to, they are so much more engaging than what I see in the competitions. Just watching Gordeeva on the even cheesier family special showed that the current ladies skaters are really missing that spark and grace.

• Love 1

Not advertising, and not showing a discipline where U.S. skaters are actually doing very well--ice dancing. Of course, I know that they show all of the ice dancing and pairs coverage on Universal Sports, but a lot of the audience either doesn't get that channel in their cable/satelite package because it's cost prohibitive or their provider doesn't carry it at all. Someone said upthread that it's confusing/annoying that NBC isn't capitalizing more on Davis/White's gold medal at Sochi by showing more ice dancing in their broadcast coverage, and I agree. I miss the days when ABC had the rights for figure skating and made it easy to catch stuff on ESPN/2 if they didn't run it on the main network--that was how I got back into watching it in the early '00s.

• Love 1

U.S. Ladies skater Gracie Gold has withdrawn from next week’s Grand Prix Final due to a stress fracture in her left foot.

Gold decided to withdraw from the Final in order to give the fracture time to heal before resuming training for the U.S. Nationals in Greensboro in January. "My ultimate goals for this year are to win another U.S. title and make the podium at Worlds," Gold said. "These are the factors that my team and I used to make this very difficult decision [to withdraw].”

Gold will be replaced at the Final by Rika Hongo of Japan, who came in 1st at the Rostelecom Cup and 5th at Skate Canada.

I have really enjoyed the cheesy skating specials NBC has been airing as well. It's fun to see some of the skaters that were competing back when I first started following skating in the late 80's. Yes, I am that old. I wonder why Kristi Yamaguchi hosts these shows but does not perform in them. She is about the same age or younger than many of the skaters that perform. She was a skater who really kept up her technical skills as a pro as well.

I've been getting a kick out of the specials, too. The cheese works for me because all the skaters just embrace it and have a good time. Cheesefest > splatfest.

It's such a shame that Gracie had to drop out of the GPF but I'm really glad she didn't try to Hanyu her way through the injury. I fear he's doing long term damage to himself by not sitting out the GP series.

Unless the ISU specifically bans Carmen, POTO, etc. we are going to keep hearing them.  I don't mind if these warhorses are trotted out IF the skater brings their own stamp and style to it, but most of the time they just choose it due to lack of imagination or thinking that the audience and judges wants to hear it for the umpteenth time.  Especially in a year when lyrics are allowed, now we get versions of POTO with lyrics, instead of other fresher music cuts.  I give Ashley Wagner credit for using vocals from Moulin Rouge, even if they are Nicole Kidman's, LOL.

I really like Samantha Cesario's "Carmen" this season and loved Virtue/Moir's version from 2013 (and I still think it's a travesty that D/W beat them at Worlds that year, at home in London, Ontario, no less), but those are the exceptions to the rule.

I think it's ridiculous that at least 3 of the top figure skaters in Japan are doing POTO.   I did love Akiko's version last year and her performance at Japanese nationals was her best ever, but again, an exception.

Edited by apgold
  • Love 1

The Grand Prix Final for both Seniors and Juniors begins tomorrow - Thursday, December 11 - in Barcelona. The Final is always an interesting competition because the top ranked skaters from the Grand Prix season will be facing off against each other, most for the first time this season.

Icenetwork will provide live streaming of all the events from both the Junior and Senior competition. Universal Sports will broadcast some of the Senior programs, and NBC and the CBC will show some of the events...eventually. For some reason, both NBC and the CBC are showing their Grand Prix Final telecast on a one week delay.

Here are the live streaming and broadcast times for the Grand Prix Final. All times listed are EASTERN. As always, be sure to check your local schedule to confirm the times in your area.

Icenetwork Live Streaming

Thursday, 12/11:  8:00 am - Junior Ladies Short Program

9:05 am - Junior Short Dance

10:20 am - Junior Men’s Short Program

11:25 am - Junior Pairs Short Program

2:15 pm - Senior Pairs Short Program

3:30 pm - Senior Ladies Short Program

Friday, 12/12:   8:30 am - Junior Ladies Free Skate

9:40 am - Junior Free Dance

11:00 am - Junior Men’s Free Skate

12:15 pm - Junior Pairs Free Skate

1:45 pm - Senior Short Dance

3:00 pm - Senior Men’s Short Program

Saturday, 12/13: 10:00 am - Senior Pairs Free Skate

11:25 am - Senior Ladies Free Skate

1:25 pm - Senior Free Dance

2:45 pm - Senior Men’s Free Skate

Universal Sports TV

Friday, 12/12:  8:00 pm - Senior Men and Ladies Short Programs

Saturday, 12/13: 4:00 pm - Senior Pairs Free Skate

5:30 pm - Senior Free Dance

NBC

Sunday, 12/21:  4 - 6 pm - Senior Men and Ladies Free Skate, Highlights

CBC

Saturday, 12/20: 4 - 6 pm - Senior Men and Pairs Free Skate, Highlights

I was wondering why Universal wasn't showing the long on Sunday. How irritating. As if devoted fans aren't going to find other ways to watch so that they won't have to wait a week to watch the long.

Imagine basketball fans being told that they have to wait a day if they want to watch what happened in overtime? Or tennis fans being told to wait an extra week to see the semi-finals?

I don't get it. It's especially frustrating when I consider that I'm paying TWC for a sports package and it barely feels like there are any perks with US when they can't even be bothered to show the short programs of every discipline. That they too are forced to delay airing the long programs is definitely frustrating.

• Love 1

Ashley Wagner's...showmanship, I guess?...was refreshing after watching the other younger ladies in the GPF. You can obviously see how her years competing at the senoir level and doing the various ice shows has helped her with her projection and overall smoothness in moving across the ice. I didn't realize how much that was missing from most of the other programs, except for Elizaveta Tuktamysheva's, until I watched Ashley's free skate.

• Love 1

I was wondering why Universal wasn't showing the long on Sunday. How irritating. As if devoted fans aren't going to find other ways to watch so that they won't have to wait a week to watch the long.

I don't get it. It's especially frustrating when I consider that I'm paying TWC for a sports package and it barely feels like there are any perks with US when they can't even be bothered to show the short programs of every discipline. That they too are forced to delay airing the long programs is definitely frustrating.

I'm just thankful for the British Eurosport stream and ISU live stream so I don't have to deal with the crappy NBC coverage.

For those who missed the event, ISU stream site has replays for all the GPF events (and some from previous years), without commentary. Scroll down a bit where it says Playlists on the left, then click on "Single & Pair Skating Ice Dance" and go to whichever event you want to watch.

The video archives are well categorized, and they get them posted up pretty fast. My only criticism is they showed thumbnails of the podium/medal ceremony, so it's not the best place if you don't want to be spoilered.

I can't follow a sport in which Duhamel and Radford are considered the best in the world.  I need to go watch videos of Gordeeva and Grinkov to get that image out of my mind.

Haha they aren't the best in the world, they just performed the best of the 6 teams on the night it counted. That's how we have Sarah Hughes as OGM.

Edited by rollerblade
  • Love 2

Glad Ashley medalled.  Even if she had help (i.e. other skaters falling), she did pull out a great skate.

Does anyone know if Universal Sports or ice network (which is aw.ful) will be covering the nationals for russia, japan and the europeans?  I am thinking those competitions will be crackerjack awesome.

As far as I know, I think the only way to watch Nationals from countries other than the US are Youtube or livestreams.  Sites with forums such as Golden Skate or Figure Skating Universe usually post those livestream links before the competition.

I am definitely going to try to view the competition for Russia and Japan, both taking place during Xmas week, when I am off from work.

On Figure Skating Universe (FSU), most of the information regarding live streams for various competitions is listed in the Kiss & Cry Subforum, which requires a Premium Membership to the website (about 11 bucks for three months) or a Season Pass (not sure of the cost, but it's less than a Premium Membership).  Golden Skate also posts links to live streams, but they aren't anywhere nearly as organized as FSU.

There should be a stream available to watch Russian Nationals - I'll be happy to post it here once it's known.

A lot of countries have either already held their Nationals or will by the end of the year.

Sorry to not post this on time, but for any Canadians (or people who can access CBC), last night Stars on Ice had a one hour special.  I'm pretty sure you could stream it from the CBC site if you missed it.  Not sure if this link will work as I'm currently at work with limited computer streaming capabilities but it might be worth a try :  http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/ID/2640079822/   I didn't get to watch all of it yet but what I have seen looked like the skaters were having fun, especially the opening number.

• Love 1

Question for those who follow the sport more closely than I do: what happened to Ilinykh and Katsalapov? I saw a few months ago that they split, but does anyone know why? Was it personal drama, or competitive reasons? The latter would seem odd given that after the Olympics they looked poised to be the ones to step up and fill the void left by Davis/White and Virtue/Moir, and just about everyone in the figure skating world seemed ready to anoint them the next Great Russian Ice Dancers.

Either way, it was disappointing to hear - I found them really exciting to watch at the Olympics and was looking forward to seeing what they had to offer in the future.

Edited by AshleyN

Looks like CBC is running a little more coverage from Spain tomorrow (Sunday Dec 21).

After watching the skating specials on CBC, I have to say how much I appreciate the artistry that comes out in skaters when they aren't competing.  I know they have technical requirements when they're in a competition, but I realize how much I don't mind the single skaters when they're not focused on their jumping.   I've always enjoyed watching Kurt Browning skate, but I'm really having fun watching him in these shows.  He reminds me of Scott Hamilton after he left the competitive world.  Wonderful artists on the ice.

I agree Shades of Red, it was really enjoyable to watch, they had no stress in their faces, just the pure joy of skating.  Kirk Browning is so talented, and just keeps going. 

By the way, Patrick Chan skated a beautiful number to a song called "Best of Me'  anyone know who sings that? 

There's a song by Lady Antebellum called "Best of Me" - haven't seen the CBC special, but hope to catch it using Hola (I'm in the US and they usually block me, even though I go to Toronto every year, lol).

Regarding I/K's split, nobody knows for sure, but I think it was some kind of personal drama.  They both have new partners anyway. Looks like Elena's partnership is going well since they made the GPF.  Nikita on the otherhand...

I watched NBC's coverage of the final.  They cut out Rika Hongo to show Chock/Bates' FD.  At least we got all 6 of the men.  Nice interview with Ashley following the women's coverage.  I'm glad she is working hard to up her technical content and let's hope she does great at Nationals.  

Had to laugh at the donkey kick conversation.  I don't think Julia's kick is as prominent as Kanako's though :)

Not only do I recall Tara having a bit of a donkey kick but when they were having the conversation about Julia's double axel take off I was completely expecting Tara to make a comment about how her take off for the axel was very similar, but she either doesn't see it or doesn't want to acknowledge it for some reason.

Did you know that Russian pair Ksenia Stolbova and Fyodor Klimov have their lyrics in their free skate in the language of the country they are skating in.  They were in Spanish for Barcelona, Russian when they skate in Russia and in French for the France competition.  I had no idea but it was mentioned on the CBC broadcast.  

I can't follow a sport in which Duhamel and Radford are considered the best in the world.  I need to go watch videos of Gordeeva and Grinkov to get that image out of my mind.

I think technical they are the best currently in the world.  Now artistically is a different matter.  I can appreciate their skating, but don't find they have an emotional connection together and am very neutral on any of their "artistic" parts of their program.  Someone will probably revoke my Canadian citizenship for saying that, but that's how I feel.   As for G&G, well they had both the artistic and technical (for their time).  Of course I will say as an audience member I always felt they were skating for each other and not for the audience.  It was beautiful, but I always felt like an outsider viewing their programs.

It was mentioned the second place Russian team didn't add any new elements to their program this year.  The Canadian commentators were making a huge deal out of nothing new in their program and that made their potential marks lower.  At least Meagan and Eric go for it and don't play it safe.  I think if you're going to be "the best" you can't play it safe.  I'd rather see someone "go for it" and fail, then not try at all.

I caught a tiny bit of the NBC (or whoever the U.S. feed was from) with Tara and Johnny and had to shut it off.  Maybe they were really good during the Olympics (didn't see any of that), but have to say they were getting on my nerves listening to them on the weekend.

I'm still enjoying the Johnny/Tara/Terry lineup but I'm a little tired of Johnny and his trying too hard fashion choices. Somebody needs to give him a reading.

I was proud of Ashley for that flip combination because I can't remember the last time I saw her do it so well where it wasn't during a warm up or practice. Only one two footing during the entire program--that's a big improvement for her.

Elena continues to win me over. I'm not quite onboard with Elizaveta.

I just saw programs on youtube for Serafima Sahkanovich (sp?) and Evgenia Medvedeva and I think they both seem to have a lot of potential. The only thing that threw me off about Serafima is the way she does the 'tano position on basically every jump. It stops being special if the skater over does it IMO. Adam Rippon, Jason Brown I feel like they've found the right balance.