Type keyword(s) to search

Figure Skating

OriginalCyn
  • Start Topic

So Virtue and Moir have announced their programs for the coming season.  Their SD will be to Prince songs.  Someone that's heard the music said it's two songs, maybe three, not sure.  All fine and good.  However, their FD is to Sam Smith's "Latch".  Now, maybe I'm just feeling all conspiracy-theoryish, but of all the bajillion songs on the planet to choose from, they select one that Meryl Davis used to great acclaim to win Dancing With The Stars?  I'm not sure if Meryl should be flattered or annoyed.  If any other skaters had used that song I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought, but V/M? 

On 9/2/2016 at 1:20 AM, COESpiral said:

So Virtue and Moir have announced their programs for the coming season.  Their SD will be to Prince songs.  Someone that's heard the music said it's two songs, maybe three, not sure.  All fine and good.  However, their FD is to Sam Smith's "Latch".  Now, maybe I'm just feeling all conspiracy-theoryish, but of all the bajillion songs on the planet to choose from, they select one that Meryl Davis used to great acclaim to win Dancing With The Stars?  I'm not sure if Meryl should be flattered or annoyed.  If any other skaters had used that song I probably wouldn't have given it a second thought, but V/M? 

I actually laughed when I heard about their FD music choice, because really? For all their talk about wanting to try new things, they're right back to doing some sappy FD. I wonder how many times Scott will caress her face or gently kiss her hand?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, WhitneyWhit said:

I actually laughed when I heard about their FD music choice, because really? For all their talk about wanting to try new things, they're right back to doing some sappy FD. I wonder how many times Scott will caress her face or gently kiss her hand?

And they wonder why some fans still think they're secretly married and even have a kid stashed away someplace!

• Love 1

I don't think the DWTS thing is a big deal, it was two years ago, only diehard Meryl fans will care (if even that). And it's a popular song, so why not skate to it if they like it? The puzzlement for me does come in with them saying they wanted to try new things and then...doing what they've always done: Mushy romance. It's also becoming a rather typical style from Montreal, where all the pairs seem to be doing soft, flowy programs.

I was wondering how Nathan Chen was coming along after his serious injury.  At a small club competition recently, he tried a quad lutz (fall) and quad flip (clean)/triple toe (fall) in his SP.  In his long program he did quad lutz, quad flip, and quad toe.  No triple axel in either, but wow is this an ambitious plan for him.  He is only 17--I sure hope his body can take this!

The SP is to Le Corsaire and the LP is to Polovetsian Dances.

The U.S. International competition started yesterday (Thursday). This is the second competition in the Challenger Series (formerly known as “B competitions”) and is being held in Salt Lake City. There are 13 entries each in Men and Ladies, 5 entries in Pairs, and 12 in Dance. This is similar to the number of entries you would see in a Grand Prix event, except for the very small number of Pairs.  Not surprisingly, most of the competitors are from either the US or Canada. The Challenger Series is often used by Championship skaters to try out their programs before international judges before the Grand Prix season begins.

The results of the Men's and Pair's  Short Programs are here.

It has now become clear why Volosozhar and Trankov are taking the 2016-17 season off. Volosozhar is pregnant.

According to the news report from Russia, the baby is an “unexpected blessing” for the couple. The baby is due in February, and Volosozhar says she hopes to be able to get back in shape and skate competitively in time for the 2018 Olympics, which begin on February 7, 2018 in Korea.

• Love 1

U.S. Pair skaters Scimeca and Knierim are withdrawing from their two Grand Prix events - Rostelecom Cup and Cup of China - as Scimeca recovers from an unspecified medical procedure.

Scimeca, who married Knierim in June, said in a press release that “in the weeks leading up to our big day [wedding], I was privately battling a series of internal ailments that left doctors baffled and my body in overwhelming pain.” The release went on to say that after months of tests, her doctors finally diagnosed the problem and she recently underwent a medical procedure. "After months of uncertainty and concern, it is unbelievably liberating to announce that I have a clean bill of health," Scimeca said in the statement. The team has resumed light training and plans to be back in competition in time for Nationals.

Replacements for Scimeca and Knierim at their two Grand Prix events have not been named yet.

Polina Edmunds has withdrawn from the Rostelecom Cup in Moscow, which was to have been her first Grand Prix event of the season. Edmunds has an injury to her right foot, and she doesn’t feel she can recover in time to compete at this event, which takes place the first week in November. However, for now, she is going to keep her spot at the NHK Trophy; this Grand Prix event will take place November 25-27. Additionally, Angela Wang has withdrawn from Skate America due to an ankle injury. She will be replaced at this event by Mariah Bell. Finally, Tyler Pierce from the U.S. has withdrawn from Trophee de France due to injury .No replacements have been named as yet for Edmunds at Rostelecom Cup and Pierce at Trophee de France. Yikes! The season hasn’t really started yet and American skaters are dropping like flies (you’ll remember that Scimeca and Knierim withdrew from the Grand Prix a few weeks ago). Everyone needs to remember to be careful out there.

NBC has released its schedule of TV coverage for figure skating for the 2016-17 season.Skating will be shown on NBC, Universal HD, and NBCSN, depending on the event. To see the complete list of TV coverage from the NBC Networks for the season, go to: http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=90041&type=media  As you will see from the list, for many of the Skate America and Skate Canada broadcasts, you will need to set your DVR or decide sleep is optional, at least in the Eastern Time Zone. Also, Pairs and Dance Short Programs don’t get much love (or air time) from the NBC networks again this year.

• Love 3
On 10/13/2016 at 0:36 PM, Good Queen Jane said:

Polina Edmunds has withdrawn from the Rostelecom Cup in Moscow, which was to have been her first Grand Prix event of the season. Edmunds has an injury to her right foot, and she doesn’t feel she can recover in time to compete at this event, which takes place the first week in November. However, for now, she is going to keep her spot at the NHK Trophy; this Grand Prix event will take place November 25-27. Additionally, Angela Wang has withdrawn from Skate America due to an ankle injury. She will be replaced at this event by Mariah Bell. Finally, Tyler Pierce from the U.S. has withdrawn from Trophee de France due to injury .No replacements have been named as yet for Edmunds at Rostelecom Cup and Pierce at Trophee de France. Yikes! The season hasn’t really started yet and American skaters are dropping like flies (you’ll remember that Scimeca and Knierim withdrew from the Grand Prix a few weeks ago). Everyone needs to remember to be careful out there.

NBC has released its schedule of TV coverage for figure skating for the 2016-17 season.Skating will be shown on NBC, Universal HD, and NBCSN, depending on the event. To see the complete list of TV coverage from the NBC Networks for the season, go to: http://www.usfsa.org/story?id=90041&type=media  As you will see from the list, for many of the Skate America and Skate Canada broadcasts, you will need to set your DVR or decide sleep is optional, at least in the Eastern Time Zone. Also, Pairs and Dance Short Programs don’t get much love (or air time) from the NBC networks again this year.

Thank you!  We have had a dance team on the podium at the last two Worlds and NBC can't be bothered to show them.  At least put them on NBCSN at 3AM so people can DVR it!

• Love 1

Agnes ran out of money, to put it bluntly.  Her family isn't well off and she did as much as she could, but there just wasn't enough to continue, even with scholarships and USFS help.  Last I heard, she'd gotten work with an ice show on a cruise ship but I don't know if that's still the case.  I don't believe she ever "officially" retired-she just quit competing to go to work.

• Love 1

There have been more withdrawals from the Grand Prix Series due to injury.

- Daisuke Murakami of Japan has withdrawn from the Men’s event at Skate America this weekend. No reason was given, but presumably it was due to an injury.

- Russian Pair skaters Stolbova and Klimov have withdrawn from their two Grand Prix events (Rostelecom Cup in Russia and NHK Trophy in Japan). She has a shin problem resulting from troubles with her new skates. It’s not unusual for skaters to have issues with new skates, but it is rare for the problem to result in a medical issue. Reportedly, Stolbova has been in the U.S. since early October receiving treatment and is not scheduled to return to Russia until sometime in November.

- Canadian Pairs skaters Moore-Towers and Marino have withdrawn from the Rostelecom Cup due to her lingering issues from a concussion. For now, they are still on the roster for the NHK Trophy at the end of November. She’s hoping to be fit to compete by then.

- Chinese Pairs skaters Sui and Han have officially withdrawn from Cup of China. This was an expected withdrawal given that she is still rehabbing from her surgeries last spring. Sui and Han have been replaced by the Chinese Pair team of Wang and Wang.

- The Chinese Dance team of Li and Xiang also have withdrawn from Cup of China. Again, this is presumably due to injury, but you never know with the Chinese. Li and Xiang have been replaced with the Chinese Dance team of Song and Sung.

It’s been a rough season already with so many injuries causing withdrawal from the Grand Prix. But the reality is that no one wants to take a chance by skating with an injury during the Grand Prix. Every skater wants to be completely fit for their Nationals so they can be on the team for the big event - Worlds.

• Love 1

It's tough to watch Gracie struggle like this. She seemed straight up depressed. 

I like the programs she just needs to get her confidence back. 

I'm very pleased to see that they've finally, FINALLY addressed the points situation regarding multiple falls in a program. 

• Love 1

I love to watch figure skating but have no real knowledge of the sport. Can someone educate me why Gracie Gold is considered "technically better" than Ashley Wagner? Ashley also admitted she would be behind the other skaters in technical ability at the next Olympics. What should I be looking for? Why can't she improve on the areas she's lacking in to put herself on par with her competitors?

On an unrelated note, I love that identifying the music is now a standard feature before each skater skates. I am adding so much music to my Itunes.

A little late and sorry about that but if you can get CBC on time shift, they are showing the pairs' and men's free program from Skate America.  It started at 1 pm EST, so if you get CBC from other parts of Canada you might still be able to catch it.

3 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

Ashley trying to skate to Sweet Dreams was brutal. I don't care how "fun" the commentators claimed it was, the choreography didn't flow with the music at all. The music was just something playing in the background while she skated. 

I finally muted the song (always disliked it).  Last year's music for both of her programs was so good.  Who the heck picked Sweet Dreams?  I felt the same way today when they showed Jason's SP.  The music was dreary and had nothing to do with his skating.  This is what I dreaded when they announced several years ago that vocals would be allowed.  Right now, most skaters are picking pretty good songs (w/ vocals) other than Ashley & Jason's SP music.

I'm thrilled to pieces for Ashley, winning Skate America.  That gal really pulled herself together a few years ago and decided to "go big or go home".  I give her a lot of credit for what she's accomplished since then.  And Mariah?  I kept thinking, while watching her skate her LP, that her style of skating reminds me of Alissa Czisny.  Gracie, IMO, needs to take a break, switch coaches and choreographers, and get away from these diva programs.  Have some fun out there with a different genre of music (and if it's still torturous to be out on the ice in competition, find something else to do with her life).  

• Love 3
On 10/14/2016 at 7:52 PM, COESpiral said:

Agnes ran out of money, to put it bluntly.  Her family isn't well off and she did as much as she could, but there just wasn't enough to continue, even with scholarships and USFS help.  Last I heard, she'd gotten work with an ice show on a cruise ship but I don't know if that's still the case.  I don't believe she ever "officially" retired-she just quit competing to go to work.

This makes me so sad. It's why US figure skating will continue to be rich white and Asian-American athletes for the foreseeable future. It's also why skating is way down in sports that interest me. To be honest, most of the sports that price out the bulk of athletes end up being niche sports, and they should be. 

Shoma Uno might be the most impressive male skater I have ever seen. Amazing. 

• Love 2

This makes me so sad. It's why US figure skating will continue to be rich white and Asian-American athletes for the foreseeable future. It's also why skating is way down in sports that interest me.

Scott Hamilton, Rudy Galindo and heck, TONYA HARDING, came from poor families.  Gymnastics is also a VERY expensive sport and yet the last two women's Olympic champions are black. 

• Love 4

This looks like it's the schedule for Canadian coverage of Skate Canada International if anyone needs it : 

As of October 21, 2016 – Schedule is subject to change
Please check your television provider listings.
All times EST

Friday, October 28th

15:00-18:00Ladies Short Program. Pairs Short Program. (3 hrs)

19:00-23:00Ice Dance Short Dance. Mens Short Program. (4 hrs)

Saturday, October 29th

14:30-18:00Ladies Free Program. Pairs Free Program. (3.5 hrs)

19:00-21:00Mens Free Program (2 hrs)

21:00-23:00Ice Dance Free Program (2 hrs)

I copied this from the Skate Canada page under scheduling.

There have been a couple of last minute withdrawals from Skate Canada, presumable due to injury. Veronik Mallet of Canada has withdrawn from the Ladies; Bazarova and Deputat of Russia have withdrawn from the Pairs. The focus at this Grand Prix event will be on the Men and Dance. Both Patrick Chan of Canada and Yuzuru Hanyu of Japan will be competing in Men. In Dance, Canada’s Virtue and Moir will compete against Cappellini and Lanotte of Italy and Chock and Bates of the U.S. There also will be a battle in Ladies between Satoko Miyahara of Japan and Egvenia Medvedeva of Russia. Duhamel and Radford of Canada are the heavy favorites in Pairs, but Kavaguti and Smirnov of Russia and Denney and Frazier from the U.S. will be looking to be on the podium also. The new Pair team of Yu and Zhang from China will be making their debut also.

Icenetwork will live-stream the event, and the NBC networks will provide TV coverage in the U.S. The Universal HD coverage will be mostly in the wee hours of the morning, so get those DVRs ready. Canadian TV will be providing live coverage.

Here is the broadcast schedule for Skate Canada in the USA. All times listed are EASTERN. Check your local TV guides for the times and stations in your area.

ICENETWORK LIVE STREAMING:

Friday, October 28 - 2:57 pm: Ladies Short Program

Friday, October 28 - 4:48 pm: Pairs Short Program

Friday, October 28 - 7:30 pm: Short Dance

Friday, October 28 - 9:08 pm: Men’s Short Program

Saturday, October 29 - 2:27 pm: Ladies Free Skate

Saturday, October 29 - 4:34 pm: Pairs Free Skate

Saturday, October 29 - 6:57 pm: Men’s Free Skate

Saturday, October 29 - 9:15 pm: Free Dance

UNIVERSALHD TV:

Friday, October 28 - 12:00 midnight: Ladies Short Program

Friday, October 28 - 1:00 am: Men’s Short Program

Saturday, October 29 - 12:00 midnight: Pairs Free Skate

Saturday, October 29 - 1:00 am: Men’s Free Skate

Saturday, October 29 - 2:00 am: Free Dance

Monday, October 31 - 8:00 pm: Re-air of NBC broadcast

NBC:

Sunday, October 30 - 5:00 pm: Ladies Free Skate

• Love 1

I just realized I didn't include networks in my post about the Canadian stations and can't seem to edit it.  So sorry.

Friday TSN4, TSN5 and TSN3 will have the coverage from 15:00-18:00

TSN2 will take over at 19:00-23:00

CTV will have coverage for the first two time slots on Saturday and TSN2 will have Saturday night coverage.

At least that's how it's being advertised right now.

Just watched an interview that Rod Black did with Scott and Tessa.  Can you say diplomatic?  Wow - Scott was really trying to make the past sound like it was an anomaly and that they've learned from it.  Wonder how long it will take for them to complain or turn into jerks to Andrew and Kaitlyn?  I like watching them skate in skating shows, but am not impressed they are back in competitions. 

No spoilers but will share I do like this "pick your skating order" stuff.  It shakes things up a bit and makes viewing more exciting.  Of course I'm watching coverage on TSN, so they have all the skaters unlike the networks that just have highlights.  In those cases, this shake up of skating order doesn't matter.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Shades of Red said:

Just watched an interview that Rod Black did with Scott and Tessa.  Can you say diplomatic?  Wow - Scott was really trying to make the past sound like it was an anomaly and that they've learned from it.  Wonder how long it will take for them to complain or turn into jerks to Andrew and Kaitlyn?  I like watching them skate in skating shows, but am not impressed they are back in competitions. 

I'm not pleased that they've returned to competition.  There were a few too many "experiences" with them during competitive events (the most glaring was when she started falling out of a lift and then they stopped for some reason--her leg "cramped"--and then were allowed to continue) + Scott's whining & snarky remarks about scores he thought weren't fair, etc.  

• Love 1

My brain wasn't fully engaged last night when I watched the interview, so the words I was really looking for were "damage control".  Just caught a tiny bit of the rerun of the interview and Scott did talk about being arrogant, but he said it was when he was 16 years old - ha!  I think that arrogance stayed for several years.  It's definitely going to be interesting to watch them as they compete against some of the other dance couples.  Some of those couples have had some great routines over the years and hopefully will continue to bring great routines.  I always enjoy Piper and Paul's routines and don't think they get enough credit for what they do.

• Love 1
On 10/23/2016 at 1:38 PM, bentley said:

I love to watch figure skating but have no real knowledge of the sport. Can someone educate me why Gracie Gold is considered "technically better" than Ashley Wagner? Ashley also admitted she would be behind the other skaters in technical ability at the next Olympics. What should I be looking for? Why can't she improve on the areas she's lacking in to put herself on par with her competitors?

On an unrelated note, I love that identifying the music is now a standard feature before each skater skates. I am adding so much music to my Itunes.

Gracie is supposed to have very pure jumping technique. Her jumps get a lot of height and distance in the air and there's no underrotation or switching from outside to inside edge at the last minute. She also has fast, centered spins. Her old coach, Alex Ouriashev, was considered one of the best jump technicians in the business. Ashley Wagner underrotates some jumps and doesn't have the classic posture of Gracie.

Consistency is another matter -- Gracie has acquired a reputation as something of a headcase. But if she skates clean her jumping and skating technique is superior to Ashley's.

• Love 3

Was hoping I could start enjoying Evgenia Medvedieva's skating since it's obvious from the international space station she's a medal fave for the 2018 Olympics, but so far--nope, still not on that train.

LOVE Chock and Bates' free dance this season, though.

• Love 1

Wow, does NBC's coverage suck or what? One freakin' hour of Skate Canada is all we get, seriously?! They didn't even show the men, we just get a 30 second summary. Guess it's off to YouTube for me.

And didn't the Shibs win gold at Skate America? They didn't air any ice dance at all last weekend. Guess we're supposed to be satisfied with V & M and Chock and Bates. Sigh.

On the plus side, I love Ashley's new FS, and it's so great to see Jason Brown again. Satoko's FS was lovely as well, she seems a lot more mature as a skater this year. And Shoma Uno is always fun to watch.

• Love 3