Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

My take is even if it's a publicity stunt you'd have to like the other person somewhat to do all this. 

Don't they work together like 5 days a week and then spend the weekend at a Con together? That's a lot of time to spend with anyone for whatever reason and you'd have to be pretty close and get along. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, statsgirl said:

Agreed about the training videos, good publicity for T3 and he may be giving the studio a discount in exchange.

I've been doing the free weight arm exercises since JH posted them this summer.

Do you have a link? Although in all fairness, I’m unlikely to do them.

I 100 percent believe that Emily and Stephen (and David) really enjoy the fan photos.  Yes they're paid, but the only thing they are really paid for is to stand in front of the camera with the fans.  That's it. Celebrities can set all kinds of limits on that sort of stuff--Stephen no longer picks people up, and some celebrities refuse to touch the fans their meeting--and Emily, Stephen and David do not, which is a choice.

I wondered whether the videos of Emily and Stephen doing workout "stunts" together was an effort by Stephen to get around the fact that Emily was refusing to do any promo at all for Arrow last year (and I still wonder what the story was behind that decision since she's back to doing interviews, but still won't do any social media support).  Again, I think they are both people who love to be able to do challenging things athletically, so that happened naturally, but I wonder if that fact that it started to show up publicly was Stephen doing promotion with Emily without Arrow or the network being involved. That said, I still think they were having a lot of fun together, and clearly enjoy playing as well as working together.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, thegirlsleuth said:

I wondered whether the videos of Emily and Stephen doing workout "stunts" together was an effort by Stephen to get around the fact that Emily was refusing to do any promo at all for Arrow last year

You know, the only other interview I remember from Emily last year was actually Stephen's Facebook video. The one where they talked about "Sidekick" and he presented her with the MTV "Ship of the Year" for Olicity.

Look, publicity related or not, I don't care. Olicity will never get the kind of publicity from The CW that other Arrowverse ships get. They'll never get a special wedding poster. So I'm just sitting here going "Give me all the cute Olicity fan photo ops out there." If this is the only way Stephen and Emily (and David) can promote the ship and OTA, then I'm all for it. 

• Love 15
26 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Look, publicity related or not, I don't care. Olicity will never get the kind of publicity from The CW that other Arrowverse ships get. They'll never get a special wedding poster. So I'm just sitting here going "Give me all the cute Olicity fan photo ops out there." If this is the only way Stephen and Emily (and David) can promote the ship and OTA, then I'm all for it. 

I completely agree with this.  On the one hand, I wish the CW would do publicity for Olicity and do a photo shoot.  On the other hand, we get "photo shoots" that are more fun and creative than anything the network could provide. I kind of love it.

• Love 6

That Wedding poster was the only time the CW acknowledge WestAllen anyways, and Flash has been getting episodic posters for as long as I can remember. I do think the CW account actually knows and posts more about olicity than the flash account does.

Arrow hasnt had a poster since the season 6 one.

I would love for CW to do an olicity photoshoot but they're never getting it I am just glad now that Emily goes to cons we get more cute fan photos. It's better that way anyways.

• Love 5

I think "it's all publicity" arguments about celebrity friendships/relationships is just translation for I'm jealous/annoyed two people I don't like hang out together and genuinely like each other or two people I do like don't hang out together or seem to genuinely like each other. ?‍♀️ 

I mean I find it amusing that it's only at cons Emily attends and seems to be well recieved by attendees and gets Stephen animated and excited that antis seem to have strong opinions on photo ops or how horrible fans are for forcing the actors to be in photo ops they are paying the actors lots of money for. When the 20 other cons Emily doesn't attend there's no comments on the terribleness of photo ops or that it's all publicity etc etc. 

• Love 11
55 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

Just curious, didn't Stephen and Katie also have photo ops? Has anybody posted anything from those?

I haven't even seen a photo op with just Katie from this last weekend.  

Edited by BkWurm1
6 hours ago, SleepDeprived said:

tumblr_o2kalsp6mN1t3achco2_250.gif

Publicity, huh? If by "photo ops were for publicity" you mean that the attendees were the ones who shelled out money for the photos (instead of the studios or the other rich corporations backing the show) and paid the convention organizers who then paid the celebrities to take the pictures, and then have said attendees post the photos on their own time to the internets then yep, these are all definitely publicity. I, along with several dozens of people, am really an undercover, unpaid employee of the CW/WB and/or EBR/SA/DR's PR teams.

Was that too sarcastic? Sorry. I just felt like my con experience got a little bit invalidated there.

Anyway, here's the original photo that I cropped myself out of (yes, IRL, I look like Amy Adams as Gisele in Enchanted. Heh.) so you can see that no, these con pics are not really for publicity. And, no, they didn't take these pictures by themselves. These photo ops are additional income for the convention that organizes them and for the celebrities who agree to do them. They're for the fans who asked for and wanted them. Photos which I personally witnessed Stephen, Emily, and David very genuinely seem like they had a lot of fun spending time together for. But if you still believe this is for publicity, eh. I don't really want to change your mind. Just giving some context, I suppose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
K7gwxHN.jpg

I love your outfit.  Probably because I'm wearing almost the exact same thing at the moment except i have a flannel instead of a red tee.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, WindofChange said:

Here was my photo op from last weekend! If this is publicity then I can't wait to get more of it next weekend!

I love the photo and the anecdote! Since you said Emily didn't know what was happening, what was her reaction after? They both seem very comfortable and affectionate around each other, and with David, too.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

I love the photo and the anecdote! Since you said Emily didn't know what was happening, what was her reaction after? They both seem very comfortable and affectionate around each other, and with David, too.

It all went by so fast. I had 2 ops. The fandom one was first and then one for myself. So I did the fandom one and before Stephen actually let go of Emily (he was still holding onto her shoulders) the photographer said there was one more for me and Emily still looked like she didn't know what was happening but she did have a bright smile on which is.. wow she's so gorgeous. Stephen asked me "Why don't you come into the middle this time?" really nicely because I told them I wasn't happy with the one I did on Saturday and he pulled me in super close.  He looked happy though and the forehead kiss wasn't at all awkward for him nor Emily. He was really really genuinely nice on Sunday and even remembered me at the ops. 

I awkwardly told Stephen I probably won't see him after that so he gave me a cute little handshake because there was no time for anything else, looked at me straight in the eyes and dipped his head a bit and said thank you really sincerely... That man really does command eye contact which is strange because Oliver really doesn't like eye contact at all.

Anyways it's really hard to put into words what happened but hopefully I did it justice.

• Love 16
4 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

I'm just [insert heart eyes]!!! For people who say that Stephen/Emily are uncomfortable with these poses... Yeah they really look uncomfortable here. 

DPgGNuoW4AAcJD_.jpg

Such a pretty publicity shot ❤

• Love 6
On 11/23/2017 at 4:14 PM, SleepDeprived said:

tumblr_o2kalsp6mN1t3achco2_250.gif

Publicity, huh? If by "photo ops were for publicity" you mean that the attendees were the ones who shelled out money for the photos (instead of the studios or the other rich corporations backing the show) and paid the convention organizers who then paid the celebrities to take the pictures, and then have said attendees post the photos on their own time to the internets then yep, these are all definitely publicity. I, along with several dozens of people, am really an undercover, unpaid employee of the CW/WB and/or EBR/SA/DR's PR teams.

Was that too sarcastic? Sorry. I just felt like my con experience got a little bit invalidated there.

Anyway, here's the original photo that I cropped myself out of (yes, IRL, I look like Amy Adams as Gisele in Enchanted. Heh.) so you can see that no, these con pics are not really for publicity. And, no, they didn't take these pictures by themselves. These photo ops are additional income for the convention that organizes them and for the celebrities who agree to do them. They're for the fans who asked for and wanted them. Photos which I personally witnessed Stephen, Emily, and David very genuinely seem like they had a lot of fun spending time together for. But if you still believe this is for publicity, eh. I don't really want to change your mind. Just giving some context, I suppose. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
K7gwxHN.jpg

Just now seeing this...but I truly wasn't aware that these were cropped photos. I thought they were just S and E making random poses by themselves. 

Edited by wingster55
On 11/25/2017 at 6:39 PM, WindofChange said:

I'm just [insert heart eyes]!!! For people who say that Stephen/Emily are uncomfortable with these poses... Yeah they really look uncomfortable here. 

DPgGNuoW4AAcJD_.jpg

This pic is the most beautiful thing ever. I truly love how awesome these two are. Thanks for sharing

• Love 5

Not sure if this belong here or in small talk, but I'll put it here.  Peggy Li, who has done a lot of jewelry for Arrow, is having a Black Friday week sale.  There was a pair of earrings that Felicity wore a few years ago that I loved, but didn't love so much that I was willing to spend $50.  They were on sale for $29.00.  I bought a couple of pieces of non-Felicity jewelry, too, including some gifts for others.  

Here's the Felicity earrings I bought: https://www.peggyli.com/small-drusy-earrings.html

And here's her website--you can click on her Black Friday deals: https://www.peggyli.com

Edited by thegirlsleuth
  • Love 1

From two days ago...

Stephen Amell was live.
November 28 at 4:15pm · 
Shall we chat about #CrisisOnEarthX? I say yes.

-- SA said that they're working on Episode 12 and "just wrapped up a scene."

-- SA personally thanked a lot of people who worked on the crossover (directors, crews, producers, writers, actors). SA: "And of course, the cast. Principally, for me, that would be Emily, Melissa, Grant and Caity, who I spent the most amount of time with. Uh, certainly along with Tom Cavanagh, you know, us being an evil trio of Nazis. Oh boy... And of course, I'd like to thank Colin Donnell for making a surprise trip. And another person who I will not reveal for lending their voice to the crossover."

-- SA: "I got to tell you... I really enjoyed playing the version of Oliver from Earth-X because, you know, everyone's the hero of their own story. And I thought that, if we built a really solid relationship between, um, you know, between Melissa and I, then that, you know - that would be good."

-- On fan asking about next year's crossover (assuming all the shows are renewed), SA: "I personally think that, I don't know how we scale up more... unless all the productions shut down and we - I don't know, just shoot it like you would a feature film. Um, but what you could do, I think, you could make it a little bit more of a character-based story and, you know, maybe it's about one or two characters from each show being sequestered out somewhere. I don't know. I'm not a writer. I just say the words. And then after the fact, I critique them. But I certainly create nothing on my own."

-- On fan wanting "Crisis on Earth-X" to be released as a full-length movie, SA: "I think that's a great idea. Let's edit it all together, let's put it on iTunes, and let's raise some money for charity! That's always what I want to do."

-- On fan asking what he thinks about the future of Oliver & Felicity now that he is heavy into the idea of marriage and she isn't, and whether this will put a wedge between them [tv echo: this facebook chat was done before the final 2 hours of the crossover aired], SA: "No. I think they're doing just fine. I think that, you know, Oliver respects what she says and, as long as she feels good about it, I think that he feels good about it. I do like that he wants to commit to someone, though. That's really nice."

-- On fan asking whether the marriage dynamic between his and Melissa's characters changed how he played Earth-X Oliver, SA: "Again, I just think that, obviously, the Earth-Xers are not the best collection of people, but that doesn't mean that two people can't have feelings for one another, so I really enjoyed working with Melissa. She and I hadn't had a ton to do together up until this point. I mean, aside from the crossover last year. It's really interesting to see the different dynamics on shows."

-- SA: "I loved the scene with Colin Donnell as Earth-X Prometheus."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Soulfire said:

Hold up. Am I misunderstanding this or does he mean that, in order to get Emily's wine, you have to order 2 boxes for the Christmas shipment?? Like, if one were to subscribe to the NP wine club, one would be guaranteed Colton's wine in the Christmas shipment but Emily's is random/special and may only be obtained through buying a second box?

If so, okay, wow. Slick marketing strategy there, Steve. Get money, I guess.

Hold up. Am I misunderstanding this or does he mean that, in order to get Emily's wine, you have to order 2 boxes for the Christmas shipment?? Like, if one were to subscribe to the NP wine club, one would be guaranteed Colton's wine in the Christmas shipment but Emily's is random/special and may only be obtained through buying a second box?

No, I don't believe so.  SA announced the first collaboration with EBR previously on Nov. 20 (with a $20 off code). Now he's announcing the second collaboration with CH (with a separate $20 off code)...

Edited by tv echo
12 minutes ago, SleepDeprived said:

I looked at their twitter and it seems like wine club members get one or the other. If you want both (or want to make sure definitely get either Emily’s or Colton’s) you have to buy two boxes.

It also seems like you can’t wait to see which one you were assigned before you place an additional order, but I could be wrong (I hope so - that’s shitty, since one of those replies indicated they could check and see which one is being shipped to you so you definitely get the other when you order a second). 

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, SleepDeprived said:

If you're already a wine club member, you only have a 50/50 chance of getting Emily's wine unless you buy an additional box. If you're newly signing up, use Emily's code to get her wine, and Colton's code to get his. (And I agree about the slick marketing strategy; it's obviously a tactic to get new members and gouging extra money from old club members)

• Love 1