Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

They probably just don't want to make another one that will look similar. So they are saying it's Laurel too, now. 

Well, AK can...I'll refrain. I pre-ordered that Pop Funko based on it being Sara. I want no part of the cenobite buckles. I mean, jeez, the lipstick doesn't even match the nail polish. Get it right, AK.

• Love 6

WTF with the singling out the Olicity fans? It's us Sara fans who know Sara's costume and look. Laurel's Canary has buckles and an over all aesthetic. It also just fits different.

• Love 1

Just look at the hands, those are not fingerless gloves! 

So if Laurel is going to "become that" at least she won't be leaving her fingerprints anymore

• Love 3

Sara wore black and called herself Canary = Black Canary. 

But wow, was that response necessary? 

And Laurel's going to wear the exact same costume her sister is now wearing in white, why would she do that? 

Wow that guy's got a huge chip on his shoulder about Olicity.

That site is partnered with the CW so I've basically been tweeting them about what's been going on in that site. I could ignore it before, but now it's past unprofessional and veering into bitter fanboy who's throwing a temper tantrum. Basically the dude hates Olicity and its shippers.

Basically I feel like a lot of people need to give CW the heads up so they know that this is really problematic and NOT good for the show considering Olicity shippers give the show a lot of free publicity. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Bad Idea: Attempting to give a character all the traits of a previous, generally more liked one. 

Worse Idea: Giving them the exact same costume. 

Any person who can't see that really needs to step down from reporting on superhero shows. And anyone who blames a subset of fans who aren't directly involved with either character (for having observational skills) needs to calm down  and look at their life choices. 

Seriously though, it has Sara's hair and Sara's costume. And the name of the product is Black Canary. That's all people are pointing out. 

Edit: I just wanted to point this out, but thinking that womens costumes are interchangable (when they represent a fair amount, this is a superhero show), and that Laurel just needs to 'become' her little sister is pretty gross and kind of sexist. 

Edited by doesntworkonwood
  • Love 15

The whole Green ArrowTV site seems to hate anything to do with Felicity being out of her comic sidekick box.

Basically I feel like a lot of people need to give CW the heads up so they know that this is really problematic and NOT good for the show considering Olicity shippers give the show a lot of free publicity. 

Good idea.

• Love 1
(edited)

That site is partnered with the CW so I've basically been tweeting them about what's been going on in that site. I could ignore it before, but now it's past unprofessional and veering into bitter fanboy who's throwing a temper tantrum. Basically the dude hates Olicity and its shippers.

That's typical "eww, icky girly fangirls had their hands all over MY comic book show, and MY comic book show was forced to include icky girly feelings because of it" syndrome. See also: everyone who got their panties in a twist over the Supergirl trailer. Anyway, I tweeted him about it and I hope he blocks me.

Craig pretty much transferred the contempt he felt for Chloe on Smallville to Felicity.

He hated Chloe too? Meet my complete lack of surprise.

Edited by Serena
  • Love 11

If they did Sara as "Canary" so that they could have Laurel eventually pick up the mantle as a way of kind of doing the thing from the comics where the torch passed from Dinah Lance to her daughter...maybe they should have just called her Black Canary after all.

In fact, the whole thing could have been cleaner and more tied to the comics if they had just named her Dinah and not Sara, and said there were two Black Canaries, but in this version it passes from sister to sister and not mother to daughter.

Then there wouldn't have to be all this weirdness about Sara having so many traits of Black Canary without actually having to call her that.

• Love 1

I think it might've worked better if they had actually shown Laurel start to pick up the mantel before Sara died and actually have Sara pass it on.

The part that didn't work for me was it look like Laurel was almost trying to pretend, even to herself, Sara wasn't dead. If Canary was around, so was Sara.

• Love 2

The part that didn't work for me was it look like Laurel was almost trying to pretend, even to herself, Sara wasn't dead. If Canary was around, so was Sara.

See, if this was the case it sort of would've worked for me. To see Laurel in denial about her sister's death to the point where she didn't want her sister's legacy to die. But it didn't come across that way for me. I think she accepted Sara's death, Laurel just wanted to be just like Sara because it eased the fire in her (which is exactly what she told Oliver when she asked him to train her I think). Oliver even called her out on being an addict and Laurel didn't deny this fact. So IMO her putting on the mask had less to do with keeping Sara around, than it was to satisfy her thirst/her fire. 

• Love 8

See below a nice pic of SA and his daughter Mavi (from his FB page). His comment that he added to the pic is:

"Flying halfway across the world is easy cause this."

Some hours ago, he had written on his twitter account:

"Went to sleep in New York. Right now I can almost see the northern coast of Africa.Went to sleep in New York. Right now I can almost see the northern coast of Africa."

And at about the same time, SA´s wife had sent the following twitter message:

"Just my dream come true. Anyone who's had it, knows. @ Marbella, Spain"

FYI - just in case - Marbella is a city in the south of Spain, at the Costa del Sol, Province of Málaga: https://www.google.es/maps/place/Marbella,+Provinz+M%C3%A1laga/@36.5008509,-4.8649999,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0xd72d809904dabdf:0xe6c9db907b5ecab

I hope SA and his family are going to have an awesome weekend! (BTW my home is in Madrid, and I´m pretty excited that SA is sort of so close to where I live. I´ve never met him in person, but if I could I´d take the next train to see if I could spot him somewhere at the beach... well, hell no, I´m a fan, but I´m not a stalker, after all. Never mind. Enough babbling...)

19788_856996837718918_120427262434699614

• Love 4

See below a nice pic of SA and his daughter Mavi (from his FB page). His comment that he added to the pic is:

FYI - just in case - Marbella is a city in the south of Spain, at the Costa del Sol, Province of Málaga: https://www.google.es/maps/place/Marbella,+Provinz+M%C3%A1laga/@36.5008509,-4.8649999,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0xd72d809904dabdf:0xe6c9db907b5ecab

I hope SA and his family are going to have an awesome weekend! (BTW my home is in Madrid, and I´m pretty excited that SA is sort of so close to where I live. I´ve never met him in person, but if I could I´d take the next train to see if I could spot him somewhere at the beach... well, hell no, I´m a fan, but I´m not a stalker, after all. Never mind. Enough babbling...)

That's an awesome photo. And I'm amazed and impressed Stephen can still manage to be upright what with the TMNT2 filming, the conventions during the weekends and 10 months of shooting a TV show.

(BTW, Kordi, I was in Madrid back in October. I fell madly in love with your city and hope to return soon)

• Love 1
(edited)

EBR has to have done something really, really good in a former life.

Isn't it simply in this life? 

Ha, that's funny, my family is going to Manilva in a few days, we have a house there. La Costa Del Sol is awesome to vacay in, I particularly love the beaches in Sabinillas. Although, I keep using "servicios" and "aseos" interchangeably but in the wrong places, lol. Not gonna lie, Andalusia is my favourite part of Spain, I also would kill to live in Seviila.

Anyone listened to the Girl in Guy episode with Emily? She loved Sailor Moon, nuff said. Everytime I think she can not be any more awesome...

Edited by fantique
  • Love 2

Of course she did. Felicity's ponytail is rather iconic at this point, though they've been moving away from it this season.

The control and input others have on you body as an actor is honestly one of the rougher parts of the business. Gaining or even losing weight as a series regular has real production impact and we in the audience will comment. If Stephen put on weight, the Arrow costume would need to be remade, for example. We've heard the quotes about the advanced notice needed before shirtless scenes with the guys. Also, look how many guys go crazy with facial hair in the spring. Gillian Anderson and some more veteran actors can get away with dictating changes (she won't be dying her hair true Scully red for the new episodes because of the time it takes to go back)... Honestly, I'm surprised we don't hear more about eating disorders in Hollywood.

• Love 4

This, somewhat ironically, is actually probably the fault of the Original Felicity.  When Keri Russell cut off all her signature curly hair between seasons 1 & 2 of Felicity, it caused a bit of a media melt-down and the show's ratings drop was (rightly or wrongly) blamed on her new haircut.  Since then, shows have been really careful to control what the actors can and can't do with their hair (among other things) while they're playing a particular character.

• Love 7

I actually prefer Felicity's longer, thicker hair from past seasons.  Her shorter, layered style makes her hair look thinner.  And I hated her corporate hairstyle in the Flash crossover with Ray.  But regardless of hairstyle, she always looks great.

• Love 1

This, somewhat ironically, is actually probably the fault of the Original Felicity.  When Keri Russell cut off all her signature curly hair between seasons 1 & 2 of Felicity, it caused a bit of a media melt-down and the show's ratings drop was (rightly or wrongly) blamed on her new haircut.  Since then, shows have been really careful to control what the actors can and can't do with their hair (among other things) while they're playing a particular character.

Wasn't that a story decision, though? If I remember correctly you see Felicity getting her hair chopped off in the episode itself...I mean, I know it was a big deal and still gets mentioned from time to time, like on an episode of Happy Endings a few years ago, but I always just assumed JJ Abrams asked her to cut her hair because you see it happening on the show and it made sense for the character.

I do remember Emma Watson saying she cut her hair short because she had to keep it a certain length to play Hermione and wanted a change.

Ginnifer Goodwin, from OUAT, has it written into her contract that she gets wigs so she can do whatever she wants with her hair. I think that's pretty clever. I believe, but could be wrong, it was a result of Big Love where she was stuck with the same hair for a long time. 

• Love 1

Either way, the TV executives reached the conclusion that Hair Matters, and one of them was quoted as saying that no-one on the WB was ever getting their hair cut again.  So the fall-out was the same regardless of whose decision it was originally (i.e. massive over-reaction by TPTB).  And the name Felicity will forever be associated with 'hair-cuts with disastrous consequences'.

• Love 1

If I remember right colour changes also matter and I'm mostly remembering it from Buffy where Sarah wanted to dye her hair darker but wasn't allowed to until later seasons and even then her hair always had to be it's brightest blonde for premiers, finales and big episodes. I'm bringing this up cause I'm curious about Katie's hair in season three.

I much preferred the darker hair on her and honestly the wig doesn't make much sense if she's already blonde. So I'm wondering if Katie asked for permission to go so light or if the producers were attempting to give her more of the iconic Dinah Laurel Lance look.

(edited)

More AMELL family vacation pics from Marbella, Costa del Sol/ Spain

from Cassandra´s twitter account: "My kid is too cool for you. (And me.)"

https://instagram.com/p/2-8Fl7yKb4/

from SA´s FB page: "You don't have to wear a shirt to be Sincerious.

[At least if you have such a muscular back like me!]*"

*my added remark :-)

11351217_857330917685510_541905851486474

Edited by Kordi
(edited)

Wasn't that a story decision, though? If I remember correctly you see Felicity getting her hair chopped off in the episode itself...I mean, I know it was a big deal and still gets mentioned from time to time, like on an episode of Happy Endings a few years ago, but I always just assumed JJ Abrams asked her to cut her hair because you see it happening on the show and it made sense for the character.

I do remember Emma Watson saying she cut her hair short because she had to keep it a certain length to play Hermione and wanted a change.

Nope. Keri Russell just up and did it without consulting anyone and got hauled over the coals by TPTB for it.

It was sorta both. I don't have the actual reference now, but I think it might have been one of the interviews on the show's DVD or it could have been one of the interviews Keri Russell gave during that time or when the media covered the hair story years later. If work is not busy tonight, I can try to google it. But I strongly remember that Keri Russell states that she was on summer hiatus from the show and saw a short wig and put it on for fun. She then sent a picture to the Show's producers as a joke, a look what I did. They then thought it was a great idea as it does fit what many females do after a break up or in college/new environment to try something new. It did feel organic to the story being told. So when she gets her hair cut on the show, that is actually her really getting all of her chopped off. I think she said she wanted to do it that way, so the emotions could be real. And anyone who has had to experience chopping off all their hair, will say it is a pretty big shock, even if you're prepared for it. I've done it a few times (1 bad break-up & multiple times for charity) and each time its a whoa adjustment.

That being said, I absolutely adored & loved that show from beginning to end - but the network did not handle it well. I know the hair cutting gets blamed as the reason the show dropped, but really there was a lot more going on with the scheduling & BTS. It kept on shuffling it in the timeslot if I remember correctly. I was in college at the time, so it was one the shows my friends & I would make much watch TV parties. So I remember our party dates changing, this was before OnDemand, streaming & Tivo, so if you either watched it live or maybe you recorded it on a VCR to watch later. Eventually, it took another hit when JJ Abrams started to divert his focus to Alias & other projects. I felt it was beautifully made & ended at an appropriate time. It was supposed to be a story about a young girl's journey to adulthood through college. So even though, I could have watched many more season, I'm glad they ended it when they did because it felt organic & authentic to only have 4 seasons. Anything more might have compromised what made the story so beautiful in the first place.

ETA - article reference http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2000-01-23/entertainment/0002150410_1_keri-russell-felicity-long-hair. I know she talked about it on video, should I find something on youtube will post a link as well. but busy at work now.

ETA2 - Found TVline interview. Just love Keri Russell, its around 5:42 that she talks about the hair. The rest of interview is good too. http://tvline.com/2013/01/31/keri-russell-the-americans-felicity-haircut/#

Edited by kismet
  • Love 2

I remember that the first thing Amanda Tapping did when Stargate SG1 ended was to grow her hair long.  She said she had wanted to do it for some years but the show always ended the season on a cliff-hanger so she had to have the same hair going into the start of the new season.

Isn't it simply in this life? 

In this life, she's a seemingly nice young lady and a talented actress.  To hang out (probably for free) on a yacht off Greece with all those very cute boys, and to get to kiss SA as her JOB...that's more like Saint Francis levels of good karma.

• Love 6

tumblr_norsc1CHqG1u4twi0o2_1280.png

Emily rounding up support for Danielle Panabaker.

Fan are generally not too happy with Emily Bett Rickards for not promoting herself enough but I think she is a solid human being who supports her friends and colleagues instead. This is how you collect good karma all around.

• Love 4

tumblr_norsc1CHqG1u4twi0o2_1280.png

Emily rounding up support for Danielle Panabaker.

Fan are generally not too happy with Emily Bett Rickards for not promoting herself enough but I think she is a solid human being who supports her friends and colleagues instead. This is how you collect good karma all around.

It's really a catch 22. She would be attacked by her non-fans for promoting herself, with claims that she's entitled and self centred (similar claims are made about KC and how she tends to promote her fashion blog and not the show). And she's attacked by her fans for not promoting herself.

She's still new to acting so maybe she feels uncomfortable with the idea of talking about or retweeting anything about her being up for an award? And instead she promotes her friends because she's a good friend? (I mean have trouble enough accepting praise sometimes, I can't imagine accepting it and then promoting it on social media to the mass public.)

• Love 4

It'd be cool if she promoted herself/Felicity a bit more, but I understand why she wouldn't. I mean even I get uncomfortable talking about myself at times. 

Regardless, she's showing support for a friend, and that's really nice of her! 

• Love 1

To be fair I do see fellow fans of EBR ask her why she don't promote herself but they ain't hateful about it.

If she's not big on promoting herself maybe some of her fellow co-workers can show their support?

• Love 2

After listening to Emily on Aisha's podcast, I think her behaviour makes perfect sense. For starters, she probably is not the self promoting kind, I mean she has done just one con (Walker Stalker March 2014) which was not mandated by WB/CW since she has started working on Arrow. Secondly, her twitter account is still largely about her life in general and not about her as a celebrity.

I think I like her more because she acts like a normal person and not someone who is consumed by their status as a celebrity.

More power to Emily.

• Love 13

I was thinking about this the other day. And I was thinking that perhaps EBR will start to do more cons, when they actually write more for her character. Don't get me wrong, I love Felicity & think she is a VITAL part of Arrow, OQ's life & TA. I do not think the show would be anywhere close to being good without her on it. But in all honesty, she has not been given anything really meaty that she can talk about for the duration of a whole con. Hopefully that will change in s4. She needs & deserves her own plotline & story arc that does not revolve around who she is potentially or currently sleeping with. As much as I love her & OQ together, I cannot imagine as an actress wanting to go & talk about that in front of a crowd for an hour. Her character is smart & intelligent, but they don't really explain how she does all her computer stuff, so she can't really even talk about that. It's basically her just typing on a keyboard. I know it is more than that if the character was real, but its not like she is actually hacking or code writing - so Im not sure how she would talk about it during a con. Its sorta like when people who place doctors/nurses on TV talk about what they do on TV like they have a clue and I'm like NO, thats not what its like IRL, so please talk about what you know not what they tell you to do. That being said, maybe EBR is some amazing computer hacker & could share her insight.  

So as cool as it is to see her character being a techincal genius on screen and breaking some gender stereotypes, Im not sure it fills up as much time as other actors who get to talk about their stunt training & character arcs. As much as they have made an entire mess of KC's character for 3 seasons in a row, at least she had something concrete to talk about like her journey to BC and the stunt training that she has to do. It hasn't been wonderful or perfect what they have written for KC, but its something that can generate many Q & As. That being said, it would be cool just to listen to EBR talk about life in general & random stuff, but Im not sure I would pay to go to a con to hear that. And if I was EBR, I would certainly just want to enjoy my earned time off to just chill & hang out. She can always use other mediums to discuss her thoughts & ideas. I do think that once she gets more comfortable in her celebrity & her role gets the attention it deserves from the writers - I could see her doing some more cons, esp if she could do them with her costars/friends.

• Love 13

I was thinking about this the other day. And I was thinking that perhaps EBR will start to do more cons, when they actually write more for her character. Don't get me wrong, I love Felicity & think she is a VITAL part of Arrow, OQ's life & TA. I do not think the show would be anywhere close to being good without her on it. But in all honesty, she has not been given anything really meaty that she can talk about for the duration of a whole con. Hopefully that will change in s4. She needs & deserves her own plotline & story arc that does not revolve around who she is potentially or currently sleeping with. As much as I love her & OQ together, I cannot imagine as an actress wanting to go & talk about that in front of a crowd for an hour. Her character is smart & intelligent, but they don't really explain how she does all her computer stuff, so she can't really even talk about that. It's basically her just typing on a keyboard. I know it is more than that if the character was real, but its not like she is actually hacking or code writing - so Im not sure how she would talk about it during a con. Its sorta like when people who place doctors/nurses on TV talk about what they do on TV like they have a clue and I'm like NO, thats not what its like IRL, so please talk about what you know not what they tell you to do. That being said, maybe EBR is some amazing computer hacker & could share her insight.

So as cool as it is to see her character being a techincal genius on screen and breaking some gender stereotypes, Im not sure it fills up as much time as other actors who get to talk about their stunt training & character arcs. As much as they have made an entire mess of KC's character for 3 seasons in a row, at least she had something concrete to talk about like her journey to BC and the stunt training that she has to do. It hasn't been wonderful or perfect what they have written for KC, but its something that can generate many Q & As. That being said, it would be cool just to listen to EBR talk about life in general & random stuff, but Im not sure I would pay to go to a con to hear that. And if I was EBR, I would certainly just want to enjoy my earned time off to just chill & hang out. She can always use other mediums to discuss her thoughts & ideas. I do think that once she gets more comfortable in her celebrity & her role gets the attention it deserves from the writers - I could see her doing some more cons, esp if she could do them with her costars/friends.

I agree with this entire post. Pretty much everyone else in the cast has arcs and storylines to talk about. But Felicity...doesn't. Not really. I would love to see more of her but if she doesn't want to that's cool too.

• Love 2