Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Every company I have ever worked for had rules against dating your boss. Never have I seen it acceptable to be in a romantic relationship with someone who does your review or has a say in your pay.

It's never okay, but people do it all the time. But it's very rarely a good idea, and I really wish they hadn't gone there with Felicity.

• Love 1

Every company I have ever worked for had rules against dating your boss. Never have I seen it acceptable to be in a romantic relationship with someone who does your review or has a say in your pay.

Yet another game-changing plot twist! Ray loses control of the company when the HR guy starts investigating his conduct with his employees, and catches him and Felicity screwing in his office. Oh, the larks and laughs to be had from that!

• Love 6

It's never okay, but people do it all the time. But it's very rarely a good idea, and I really wish they hadn't gone there with Felicity.

We're in the minority, unfortunately. All of Felicity's defenders on tumblr are either ignoring that Ray's her boss or calling people sexist for pointing it out.

• Love 1

MG spoilers at http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/

-- Asked about Thea/Felicity scenes, MG says: "Interesting fact:  Every time you post this question, I bump it back an episode.  So… not until Season 12.  ;)"

@mguggenheim

@BrandonJRouth @MadisonMolly711 @ARROWwriters I hope that's not the only time Ray's used protection. #pregnantFelicity

The lack of respect for viewers astounds me.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 7

We're in the minority, unfortunately. All of Felicity's defenders on tumblr are either ignoring that Ray's her boss or calling people sexist for pointing it out.

I'll take my response to the Relationships thread, because I forgot where we were for a sec.

• Love 1

There are certain creators that I will follow to anything new they dish out. Joss Whedon, Rob Thomas, Vince Gilligan, etc. I may not like or stick with their new endeavors, but I'll give them a chance because the people behind them have a solid track record and good interactions with fans. MG has guaranteed that I will not actively NOT support anything he does in the future. 

That's what I don't understand from a PR perspective. By being such a dick to fans of the show, you're only going to lose people. All he has to say is something like I understand you aren't happy with the direction of the show, but we have a plan that we're going to follow. Stick with it; you might like it. I might not agree with him but I can respect that statement. Anything other than the you're wrong, I'm right crap he's dishing out now.

• Love 6

PaleyFest attendees

Danielle Turchiano ‏@danielletbd now5 seconds ago

#Arrow's #PaleyFest panel now has attendee confirmations: Colton Haynes, Emily Bett Rickards, John Barrowman, Katie Cassidy, Willa Holland

FYI I really like Danielle Turchiano to follow for media stuff. She is a great interviewer and asks smart challenging questions of the showrunners and stars. I became familiar with her from Supernatural stuff.

ETA:

Danielle Turchiano ‏@danielletbd 2m2 minutes ago

#Arrow at #PaleyFest part 2: David Ramsey, Paul Blackthorne, Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg, Marc Guggenheim
0 replies 4 retweets 1 favorite

Edited by catrox14

I honestly don't understand why SA wouldn't be contractually obligated to attend something like Paley. With all due respect to honoring commitments to his public appearances, holding a panel without your biggest star seems foolish. I know someone mentioned it would be a joint panel with The Flash. Maybe everyone thinks it's okay because of that? 

• Love 1

They couldn't get Stephen to go. Wow. is that first time the star of the show didn't attend? 

Arrow's not like an ensemble show like Lost where yes there were people with more storytime devoted to them, but their character name wasn't in the show's title. 

It kind of makes me wonder if Stephen is trying to prove a point to the EP's. He's trying to show that pleasing fans is just as important as telling a cool story. The Kansas City fans should be happy. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 7

I honestly don't understand why SA wouldn't be contractually obligated to attend something like Paley. With all due respect to honoring commitments to his public appearances, holding a panel without your biggest star seems foolish. I know someone mentioned it would be a joint panel with The Flash. Maybe everyone thinks it's okay because of that? 

I'm honestly so perplexed by this.  I really am starting to wonder if they are going to write Oliver out of the show just to leave it with Justice League- lite. 

• Love 2

Yaaaas Emily! I love watching her interviews and when she does panels.

I honestly wouldn't read much into Stephen not going. He had a prior commitment and I am sure he put his foot down because he knows fans had already bought tickets for the event. He seems very committed to them so it doesn't surprise me.  

• Love 2

Well I don't want to go so far as to say that there might be trouble in paradise because it is just a publicity thing after all but I do find it super weird that the face of the show which SA still is whether they like it or not, is not present for that promotion. He will promote the show in a smaller manner but it still rubs me the wrong way that he won't be there. Nothing says "this is our show" with the titular lead not showing up. I doubt they didn't want him to go. 

But BR won't be there and since I really don't want to hear more about Ray, I am completely fine with that. We will hear enough as it is.  

• Love 1

I'd absolutely love to believe that SA was making some kind of statement, but I really have no idea.  Maybe he's happy with the show, or maybe he's checked out and this is just another job, and he shows up, gets his paycheck, and goes home for the day.  If he is unhappy, I can't imagine we'll ever hear any stories until the show is over with.

Well now Brandon Routh, so there's that..

I dont know why SA couldn't get out of his Con commitment. I know they are big and important to him. But if you look at the caliber (oscar/emmy winners/noms) of the actors/shows that are going to PaleyFest. It seems a shame to waste that opportunity. But my guess / hope is that they tried their best to make it happen and just couldn't work out the details. It just seems like not the best career choice.

They are having an Arrow panel without the Arrow. The title character is not showing up for a network panel that will bring up some questions. I'm glad SA is keeping his original commitment, but I can't imagine that it looks good for the EP's.  

• Love 6

It makes no sense. Stephen should be contractually obligated though. It's not optional. Like Colton, Willa and Emily mostly only go to contractually obligated events and they are there so I don't understand why they didn't force Stephen to go? Do they not consider him important enough?  I don't understand why he;s going to some random con over the Paley fest. 

Edited by ban1o
But my guess / hope is that they tried their best to make it happen and just couldn't work out the details. It just seems like not the best career choice.

Actors can cancel con appearances for all sorts of reasons. Stephen didn't cancel because he didn't want too. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

Actors can cancel con appearances for all sorts of reasons. Stephen didn't cancel because he didn't want too. 

exactly Katie has cancelled a ton of cons. There's no reason why hre couldn't have cancelled the con for an event like Paley Fest. It just doesn't make sense. I hope he explains why he isn't going. 

I was just thinking, Stephen interacts with his fans a lot. Maybe he promised a certain fan that he would be at the con and meet up with them for some reason or another and he doesn't want to let them down? 

exactly Katie has cancelled a ton of cons. There's no reason why hre couldn't have cancelled the con for an event like Paley Fest. It just doesn't make sense. I hope he explains why he isn't going.

Not wanting to be like Katie, is reason and explanation enough for me. He made a commitment where fans buy tickets and make travel plans and chose not to cancel on them.

• Love 3

They are having an Arrow panel without the Arrow. The title character is not showing up for a network panel that will bring up some questions. I'm glad SA is keeping his original commitment, but I can't imagine that it looks good for the EP's.  

It's embarrassing for everyone involved in the show that the supposed star won't be there. It's embarrassing for the CW and the showrunners that this will bring nothing but negative publicity and rumours of Stephen being unhappy with something or someone involved in the show.

As far as I'm aware, Stephen has made no comment about it other than when he said a few weeks ago that he wouldn't be there. To me that speaks volumes about his current mindset. He doesn't want to go to the biggest 'pat yourselves on the back guys' media jamboree of the year and talk about this show. He'd have known the likely dates for when it takes place, and he booked something else instead. He could easily have gotten out of that 'con appearance (as Katie Cassidy has proved, they're a cinch to cancel), but he didn't want to.

I say good for him, bad for the show. Piss off your popular star, who has been the biggest cheerleader and devoted so much time and energy to getting this show into the public consciousness? He deserves the right to make some sort of protest against the shitty writing, stupid narrative choices and garbage attitude of those running the show.

• Love 9

Having an Arrow panel without the Arrow is fitting considering this season and how it's going.

Exactly. The show is barely about Oliver anymore. Stephen not being at the panel seems like more of the same. Frankly, I say good on Stephen for not cancelling his con appearance.

• Love 4

I would have liked to know SA's thoughts on how the season is going etc and stuff that he probably wont get asked at a fan convention, but I am quite glad that he's not attending Paley especially as he has a legitimate reason. 

At least Stephen Amell isn't disappointing his fans, unlike the show right now...

• Love 5

Wow - MG's Tumblr responses are making me lean towards not watching the rest of the season. They certainly don't inspire any confidence that the half-assed storytelling will improve. TPTB must think having an online presence is good publicity for the show since they asked the EPs to get involved, but I don't think this is what they had in mind. He's not even bothering to put up a pretense at being respectful to fan concerns. Now, I might understand a snarky response to someone being aggressively hostile, but he's being a jerk to pretty much everyone. There have been legitimate questions asked about the writing and narrative decisions, and he's dismissive at best and just an asshat at worst. And it's not like it's just shippers asking these questions since we've all seen plenty of TV reviewers/critics voicing the same concerns. What is the point of having a social media presence if you're going to use it in this manner? 

And now SA won't even be at Paley. I'm half expecting that panel to be Flash-focused, to be honest. 

• Love 8

I don't know about anyone else but SA not going to Paleyfest speaks volumes to me. Wow.

I agree. And I agree with Danny Franks that is is hugely embarrassing to the show and the network. The CW was finally garnering some decent press with the Jane the Virgin Golden Globe win. 

When I lived in LA I volunteered for PaleyFest for YEARS and I have never heard of a network show not bringing it's leading man. 

• Love 7

There were the times when Glee didn't have Lea Michele on the panel.

Or SDCC not having Joel Mchale on the Community panel etc. 

It happens 

Both of those were ensemble shows. Arrow isn't. 

Or, well...it wasn't. Not having the actor who plays the character your show's named after attend seems like a thing.

• Love 12

There were the times when Glee didn't have Lea Michele on the panel.

Or SDCC not having Joel Mchale on the Community panel etc.

It happens

And those would be relevant comparisons if "Glee" was called "Rachel Berry" and "Community" was called "Jeff"

I bought tickets to the panel (flying into LA and everything) before knowing the show would sink to the levels of last night's episode. I'm torn between being disappointed that SA isn't going and relieved that BR won't be there either. l don't want them to waste any time talking about Ray.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 7

They can keep with their mantra of "The show called Arrow is about more than the Arrow, so much so he's not even here at this panel for the Arrow"

I think the comparison that would work for me is if Tatiana Maslany didn't show up for an Orphan Black panel. That is the only ensemble show where one actress makes up half the ensemble. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 5

What is the point of having a social media presence if you're going to use it in this manner? 

Well, it seems like he is a true narcissist who gets off on causing people pain. 

And I agree. Usually the actor who plays the character that gives the show its name should show up. No matter how many other players there are. Grant shows up for the Flash since he plays that character. Gina Rodriguez's Jane is also the protagonist and even if they have an ensemble show, she is the face of the show. As much as I like Diggle and Felicity they aren't the face of the show and in no universe is KC the face of the show. But maybe SA really didn't want to go because he actually cares about the fans unlike the EPs who seemingly hate them and only pretend to like them once they need press.

• Love 4

I wonder if they'll be announcing a name change for season 4 to something like ARROW and the Justice League (of Starling City)

I've been saying this ever since they started sidelining Oliver and focusing on ERRRY other 'superhero"

Both of those were ensemble shows. Arrow isn't. 

Or, well...it wasn't. Not having the actor who plays the character your show's named after attend seems like a thing.

Or if the panel was for 'Supernatural' and neither Jared nor Jensen showed up

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

So, SA's not attending PaleyFest. Great. I was just ranting to my sister about this last weekend when she told me that she actually bought tickets for us as my very early birthday present (because I kept talking the show up last year). Welp. At least, EBR and DR will be there.

It seems legit because MG tweeted it:

tumblr_nkeo5fgrPD1svw6tno1_540.png

On the one hand, thank god Ray is off the show. On the other, wtf that makes no sense

This.  But on the third hand, I guess I don't actually care if it doesn't make sense if it gets Ray off the show...

• Love 5