Type keyword(s) to search

Social Media and Behind the Scenes: AKA Everything Else Not "News and Media"

Zalyn
  • Start Topic

Oh no, I was talking about the others. I didn't actually think her dress was bad.

Oh, that was just a general comment to her being included on that list! I think that dress is maybe not entirely event-appropriate, but I think she looks good in it. I don't even think she belongs on a list with all those other travesties. 

Yeah, it IS too much to ask for it to make sense.

The feel I get from the TCA panel choices/conversations are this.

People who don't wear masks are expendable, because the ONLY THING THAT REALLY MATTERS are the superheroes in costume.

If you don't wear a mask, it doesn't matter if you are saving people all the time. You aren't a SUPER hero, and therefore you do not matter.  Who needs plot, or character development, or things that make sense.

And add in crap the powers that be said after Sara died, if you are a female and wear a mask, you are still expendable. I can't stop thinking about what Guggenheim or Kreisberg said after the dumpster thump, that was basically "BUT DON'T WORRY, Nyssa is coming so we will still have a kickass female."

Um. No.

I no longer expect the females in this show to have arcs that make sense, because it is clear as day that they are on the bottom of the totem poll in terms of things tpdb think about.  Thus why they think they could do the horrendous injustice to Laurel's story line that they have, and then put her in a suit and have everyone squealing for joy. 

• Love 4

As i said earlier, there's nothing wrong with the dress and i think it can work just fine in this event (just with a shorter slit).

It just doesn't work well on KC with that fake tan and the too much make up.

I think she was trying to go for old school glamor look, instead she comes off looking... Cheap and almost trashy.

I'd expect that exact look for a night out, or as someone said the VMA or MMA maybe even the people choice awards.

I think with a different hair style, Alot less make-up, and without the fake tan she would look much more glamorous and fitting to this type of event.

After reading everything about the TCA screw up, I'm glad I don't watch this show anymore. It's a trainwreck with what appears the only purpose is to launch other super heroes now. I'm sorry, MASKED super heroes. 

• Love 6

Yeeeeech...that Canary costume actually looks worse in the close up. I'm not really sure who is designing the costumes on Arrow lately, but both Arsenal's and BC's have not been pleasing to the eye. Roy's looks especially bad in action during the fight scenes. I imagine Laurel's will probably look better because it's pitch black against the dark backgrounds in the scenes. Hopefully the buckles won't be noticeable in scenes because they look pretty silly here.

I think it's maybe the glitter along with the cut that makes it seem all a little....much. If it was just straight black? Or black and white? I don't know. I'm curious to see what the Fug Girls have to say about it.

But what still amuses me more is that in every pic I've seen she's doing that leg thrust out pose. Katie, I'm sorry, I'm not trying to be catty, but if Angelina Jolie can't get away with that, you sure can't.

• Love 1

Those buckles on the pants are worse than I remembered.  She's going to be running and jumping and at some point her buckles are going to catch together and plop, that's going to be it.  I mean all the way up the inside of her legs?  If anyone remembers the horror of corduroy, now imagine the clank, clank, clank of buckles against buckles.  This is supposed to be stealthy, right? 

On the positive side, the jacket looked simple enough.  I used to think it was some kind of one piece get up, now it looks like the jacket just zips down the middle. 

Did the dummy lose a glove? 

• Love 6

I love EBR hair, make-up and earrings. Is that a new tattoo on her arm? 

I like the outfit from the waist up, but I have to see the full ensemble to judge. I'm not a big fan of jumpsuits.

• Love 1

r be able to cross her legs with that on? WTF??

Those buckles on the pants are worse than I remembered.  She's going to be running and jumping and at some point her buckles are going to catch together and plop, that's going to be it.  I mean all the way up the inside of her legs?  If anyone remembers the horror of corduroy, now imagine the clank, clank, clank of buckles against buckles.  This is supposed to be stealthy, right? 

On the positive side, the jacket looked simple enough.  I used to think it was some kind of one piece get up, now it looks like the jacket just zips down the middle. 

Did the dummy lose a glove?

HOnest to gods. I laughed BkWurm1 at your comments. Because seriously? How can she even run? It's so fucking stupid. Like what is even the point of the buckles? Will she have ammo in the them? Good lord. I am dying here.

• Love 1

I have some combat-type boots that I wear on casual Fridays.  My feet constantly get stuck together by the various buckles and latches.  I'll start to get up from my desk and trip.  I can totally see that happening with those pants.  Is there someone I can bribe?

• Love 8

I only just caught up on this panel stuff.  I don't know what the motivation was behind all of it, but it really does just look bad.  Even if I actually liked or love Laurel Lance, having Katie Cassidy the only female panelist, surrounded by numerous male ones, just looks bad. And, none of the excuses work for me.  The CW is pushing for more in the male demo.  Well, honestly, most guys I know care way more about Emily Bett Rickards or even Caity Lotz and Katrina Law, then, say, Brandon Roth or Colton Haynes.  So, I don't buy it.  Wanting to focus on the "costume" folks?  Then, where is Katrina Law?  You telling me it was more important to get Matt Nable, who has only appeared in one episode, over an actress who has been in several, and has played a huge part in the S2 finale and going forward?  Nope, not buying it.  Plus, having David Ramsey there kind of messes that excuse up (won't even touch on the lack of minorities, despite The Flash having a black female lead and another one in Jesse L. Martin's Joe, who is pretty popular.)

I would like to be glad that Greg Berlanti at least addressed the criticism and admitted they could have done better, but his excuses are still flimsy, and just makes me wonder how did they not see this.  When there were putting together the list, did no one there go "Hmm, you know, we've got a lot of guys here, but Katie is the only woman.  You sure we can't see if Emily or Willa is available?  Or Katrina?  Maybe even see if Caity or Susanna Thompson are free that weekend?" 

Although, honestly, I think I'm even more annoyed with The Flash.  No Candice or Danielle (or even Carlos), but they get Victor Garber and Dominic Purcell, who haven't even appeared, yet?  I just find that ridiculous.  I get the concept of hyping your future guest, but they should have made room for one of The Flash women.

I guess the only thing I can say is that I hope the criticism (which I'm glad is happening), will make these guys avoid this in the future.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 12

I would like to be glad that Greg Berlanti at least addressed the criticism and admitted they could have done better, but his excuses are still flimsy, and just makes me wonder how did they not see this.  When there were putting together the list, did no one there go "Hmm, you know, we've got a lot of guys here, but Katie is the only woman.  You sure we can't see if Emily or Willa is available?  Or Katrina?  Maybe even see if Caity or Susanna Thompson are free that weekend?"

I think they did exactly what they wanted to do and figured they'd take their lumps if they got called out on it. 

• Love 15

I think they did exactly what they wanted to do and figured they'd take their lumps if they got called out on it. 

I think they killed two birds with one stone: did exactly what they wanted and generated a lot of talk on forums and social media. "All publicity is good publicity, as long as they spell your name right."

I think it was a mistake on their parts, they are already going into the next 3 episodes with the premise it's a "Laurel 3 episode arc" which they then tried to backtrack from. Now they have her be the only female on a promotional panel leading into those episodes.

It would be better if they just admitted that it was deliberate because they wanted to put Cassidy in the spotlight. It's already glaringly obvious, and these attempts to say, 'yeah, my bad. Didn't notice that until too late', are just laughable.

• Love 6

I didn't like any of the outfits :p BUT I do ADORE Emily's hair and makeup and earrings (god damn the earrings are gorgeous, I want them) oh and the shoes :') those are a thing of beauty. 

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 1

Not wild about any of the Arrow ladies' outfits, and Katie needs to stop taking the advice (her own, or other people's) on what makes her look good, because she looked a million times better in those beach pics with minimal makeup. Eh, don't blame her for looking tired, she probably has a horrible schedule.

As for the panel - if I said 'absolutely fucking awful panel composition' I'd be being generous. Not only just one woman there but David - as the only person not in a costumed hero role - looks awkwardly like the token POC. Good thing the man has oodles of class and brains to rise above it.

• Love 3

Not only just one woman there but David - as the only person not in a costumed hero role - looks awkwardly like the token POC. Good thing the man has oodles of class and brains to rise above it.

Yeah, that annoyed me, but the only reason I didn't automatically mentioned that in my original rant is that I do believe Wentworth Miller is half black, but it doesn't look good that only David and Wentworth were there, and, again, Wentworth has technically only been on one Flash episode so far.  Meanwhile, The Flash has Candice Patton, the female lead, and Jesse L. Martin, who is a huge part of the show and has been praised by a lot of people for being one of the stronger actors on that show.  Not to mention Carlos Valdes, whose Cisco has a decent fanbase from what I can tell.  This is why in some ways, I'm really annoyed with The Flash part. Both might have failed on the gender department, but that one really did also bone over it's minority representation as well.  And, both shows had numerous actors who aren't only not regulars, but some who have only been in one episode or not even in any yet. I just don't get it.

Wentworth is a POC but I don't think it's common knowledge. I saw a article that highlighted DR being the only POC but mentioned that the panel had 3 openly gay males (Victor - which I didn't know, Barrowman and Wentworth).

I think Emily looks beautiful and I loved the top of her outfit. However, it would have been better as a dress, I don't particularly like pants suits like that.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

About the whole TCA deal, here's my view: 

• There should've been more women period. Yes, KC deserved to be there too because she has her own BC thing going on
  • Jesse Martin from the Flash should've been there too because he's an integral part of the show as he's an integral part of Barry's life
  • They shouldn't have included guest stars that haven't even been on the show yet and have only been in 1 episode to accommodate the more integral cast members. 
  • Greg Berlanti's excuse of only inviting the actors who play masked characters was a lame excuse and has no clout because David Ramsey was there and Diggle doesn't have a mask even though he's 10000x the hero Roy and Laurel are at this point. And yes, I think he needs a mask for practical reasons. 
  • If the reason why Greg Berlanti didn't invite EBR and WH to the panel because they wanted KC to be in the spotlight, then that's just stupid and it didn't work well because that just stirred up more controversy. And I don't think they did it to put KC in the spotlight. 
  • The fact that Berlanti didn't realize that they didn't have enough women on the panel poses as a separate issue because it shouldn't be something you don't notice. 
  • It feels like Berlanti only apologized and said that there should've been more women on the panel just for the sake of having more women on the panel and that's just wrong. There shouldn't be a quota on how many women or PoC there should be on a panel. And I don't even think he would've apologized if it didn't stir up so much controversy. 
  • The fact that the panel was full of heroes and villains just undercuts what Felicity and Caitlin are to their respective shows. They are heroes regardless of whether or not they wear a super suit. It's just insulting to the characters. I mean, how many times has Felicity put her life in danger for the good of the city? 

That's all I'm going to say on the subject. Granted, I did say a lot. But what happened was wrong. Hopefully they rectify their mistake for Paleyfest. 

• Love 12

Regarding The Wrap article (link posted by statsgirl above) where GB apologizes for the lack of women on the TCA panel - it wasn't just lack of women...

Looking at that TCA panel was like looking at a young, attractive Hollywood version of a Congressional hearing panel.  Anyone who's never watched Arrow and Flash would think that these were two of the least diverse shows on television. 

Interesting that GB specifically mentions Jesse Martin and EBR.  What a PR debacle!

• Love 3

Regarding The Wrap article (link posted by statsgirl above) where GB apologizes for the lack of women on the TCA panel - it wasn't just lack of women...

Looking at that TCA panel was like looking at a young, attractive Hollywood version of a Congressional hearing panel.  Anyone who's never watched Arrow and Flash would think that these were two of the least diverse shows on television. 

Interesting that GB specifically mentions Jesse Martin and EBR.  What a PR debacle!

They didn't even invite Manu Bennett. A costumed villain who has been a big part of the show and is due to be returning to Arrow in a few weeks. I wonder why he wasn't there... oh wait, he's Maori. Worse and worse.

• Love 9

And I thought that Christmas meme was bad (in a funny way)...

Stephen Amell  9 hrs · Edited ·
Ready for ‪#‎MemeMonday‬
Facebook!! I'm SO fired up for Season 4 of Arrow and I want to host WWE Raw. Confident both of these things will happen in 2015.
10924729_787861241299145_678594630133310

https://www.facebook.com/stephenamell

Stephen's Facebook page also says that he'll be on Jimmy Kimmel Live on Jan. 20th and on Late Night with Seth Meyers on Feb. 23rd.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

It's a lovely FB patchwork on SA's page ;) I like how Emily is integrated in the pic, between Flash and Arrow.

*sarcasm on* So I guess SA didn't get the memo Emily is not the girl the show is promoting now? *sarcasm off*

Edited by Ariah
  • Love 2

It's a lovely FB patchwork on SA's page ;) I like how Emily is integrated in the pic, between Flash and Arrow.

*sarcasm on* So I guess SA didn't get the memo Emily is not the girl the show is promoting now? *sarcasm off*

And the colors match the hero!... Well except for poor Barry.

• Love 1

About the BC costume - I'm a little baffled as to why they don't have her wearing Sara's jacket? Someone suggested that it might be a situation where she doesn't feel like she's "earned" it or whatever, but it's so strange that they designed a costume that has the exact same design on the sleeves. And yeah, those buckles are stupid. I don't look for complete practicality in my superhero costumes, but that buckle situation is just ridiculous.

I'm guessing they didn't want to copy Sara's costume because Laurel is BLACK Canary after all. Even though Sara's costume looks more like the BC from the comics they are so hellbent on following.  I suppose I shouldn't be that surprised they pretty gave everything from Comic BC to Sara. All Laurel has is the right name and I guess some comic book fans are happy with that. I wouldn't be if I was a huge BC fan. Laurel being the worst fighter out of all them when BC is supposed to be the best is a huge disservice to the character.

If she's a not fighter and doesn't have a tech suit she shouldn't be on the streets at all fighting crime. She should be helping out other ways that are suited to her skills like helping out with the Lawyer parts of putting the criminals away. Felicity isn't a fighter but her skills with tech makes her just as much of hero as the ones she helps out. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

Yeah, she's carried that jacket around and worn it and smiled like a loon when Sara gave it to her. If she's "honoring" her sister and then "becoming" her sister, and they've used that jacket as some kind of symbolism, why did they make the sleeves on her BC costume look like Sara's instead of incorporating the actual jacket somehow? They could still have a completely different overall-looking costume while still using the same jacket.

CL and KC have two very different body types.  CL is also 'bustier' (for lack of a better term) than KC.  So Sara's costume would not have been as flattering on Laurel.  I think each costume was designed to flatter the actress, while still looking like a BC costume.  (I'm not saying one body type is better than another, just different.)

• Love 3

Yeah, but they could have tailored Sara's jacket--starting with a new replica with a fit that suited KC better. It would have worked with the whole legacy/inheritance theme they are so obsessed with, and it would have mirrored Oliver's attachment to the hood. It's weird that they ditched it, but maybe they'll address it in-show.

You know, aside from the buckles which is just asking to get caught in something, my only issue with the BC costume is the fingerless gloves. She leaves a fingerprint behind at a crime scene and she is done. It's so simple and so dumb.

I actually tweeted that at Geoff Johns when the pics were first released. We have a mask, a freaking wig, head to toe leather with buckles galore, and the one thing that could without a doubt identify her? She leaves that completely uncovered. 

She probably WILL wear the jacket on her first time out and it will be damaged or destroyed, giving her one more thing to be pissed about and an excuse to go out and get a new suit.

• Love 1