Type keyword(s) to search

Love (2016) - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(So why exactly out of all Netflix shows did this get a second season-renewal even before it premiered?)

In a word (IMO), Apatow.  His movies make money and he invented Lena Dunham and Amy Schumer.  Opinions vary as to whether the world is a better place as a result of any of that, but he swings a big dic.., er, carries a big stick in Hollywood.  He's also a nepotist; I'm pretty sure he invented Leslie Mann as well, and his daughter plays the child actress in this series.  So again, opinions may vary, but there's that.

Me?  Speaking of shows that are too self-aware, nice to to see that A.J. from Married finally found work.  I also have to give credit to the TPTB for stepping up the main characters' occupations - on set tutor and satellite radio program director are different from the usual comedy fare.

I tuned in because Gillian Jacobs, so my expectations weren't particularly high.  Actually, they might best be described as curiosity.  I'm through the first 5 eps and still pretty far from invested.  But, I need to feel like I'm getting my money out of 'flix, I tend to have compulsion about finishing things, and I'm still curious.  I'm gonna hang in. 

Edited by Lone Wolf

Andy Dick??  Just wow.  OTOH, where else is he going to find work...That night out with him was probably more based in reality than parody.

I did LOL (which is unusual for me) when Gillian was doing Bette Davis.  I'm certain that that was an organic (way overused term), improv, actor's choice moment. They both seemed really genuine and present when she was doing that.  I love those kinds of little gems; by far my favorite moment in this series so far.

Why does a tutor have to be on set for a midnight-and-later shoot?

Yeah, Mickey's broken.  No doubt.  

• Love 1

I remember specifically hearing some marketing lingo about how viewers were expected to see Mickey as the messed-up one and then come to realize that Gus is as messed up in his own ways. I'm pretty sure the show isn't trying to make any of the characters likable or unlikable, as much as it's trying to show how confusing and messy relationships can be. The message I've gotten so far is that everyone is fucked up and codependent and very not in control of their own romantic lives. It's like "LOVE" is a story about how true romance is a fantasy. The happiest relationships on the show seem to be platonic friendships, so maybe that's the kind of love this show is really highlighting.

I don't expect the show to really be about Mickey and Gus falling into love over time. For Mickey to progress, she needs to work on her relationships in general while probably avoiding romance. For Gus to progress, he needs to stop living in a fantasy world and accept that life isn't romantic. Or something like that. But anyway, to me the first season showed people using love like a drug to cope with life, mostly ineffectively. It wasn't about them falling in love, just about them struggling to exist in a world that tells them falling in love together can magically make their individual problems disappear. And so they try to force it. But Mickey can't just fuck herself out of her problems, and Gus can't fantasize his way through life. The show has to be about them learning to really understand and love themselves, I think. Because I don't get any message that these two characters, or anyone else, are "meant for each other" in any romantic way -- even if they do like the same rug.

And I liked it. That's a story I want to keep watching, especially if it keeps making me laugh as much as the first season did.

Edited by Liqidclark
  • Love 2

I don't expect the show to really be about Mickey and Gus falling into love over time. 

But that was the proposition given the way the season ended. Mickey supposedly has fallen for Gus but she wants time out, if he can wait. His response? 'I'll wait,' or 'I'll not wait, let's commit right here right now,' - either way they are giving it a shot. And frankly that was perplexing to me. When did she fall for him? When he spent a whole day without calling her or when she discovered a rival later that night? 

Edited by Boundary

I'm glad to see other people have the same problems with this that I did. I spent the last 5 episodes or so wondering why I'm supposed to interested in this terrible person Gus. I kept waiting for something redeeming to occur but it never did, he kept getting worse and worse. I'm really not sure what they were going for with him, but it's rare for me to dislike a main character as much as I did him by the end of the series.

• Love 4

Mickey mentioned that she was cold the moment they walked outside her house, so they should have just gone back inside to get her a sweater or something. As soon as she walked out in that mirror ball nightie, coupled with Gus's emphasis on their destination's dress code, I knew exactly what was going to happen. It was Chekhov's sweater.

Also, regarding ponzu sauce, if Gus were really the nice guy he thinks he is, he would have given Mickey the ponzu sauce without telling her that he didn't want the chicken. Gus is the kind of guy who does nice things to get something in return (cheating on Aria's test/expecting Susan Cheryl to read his script). So he ends up resenting people, even though they didn't ask for the "nice gesture" in the first place.

• Love 4

This is the episode that turned me into a fan. When Bertie accidentally sent that text to Gus instead of Mickey and then Gus dragged Mickey into it and Mickey took it a whole other level I was DYING.

I guess I'm a sucker for comical misunderstandings but the whole date was right up my alley, it was so ridiculously funny.

• Love 4

Gus was awkward but he did have a certain ease with attractive women that I found surprisingly for this type of story.

If they'd kept Mickey as his most attractive paramour I would have been fine with the story, because they were cute together until that awful magician date. And Mickey was purposefully going after a good guy that she had chemistry with.

But then they added Heidi, who is kind and personable and an absolute 10, throwing herself at that guy. The idea that this guy, this nice enough guy, had women THROWING themselves at him is patently ridiculous. He's got boring interests, a boring job, a lame apartment and he's just not that cute. It didn't make any sense.

It bothered me that all of the BS of the last 3 episodes basically started because Mickey thought it would be cute to be "difficult" the morning after they had sex. If she had just been nice to him they would have been fine. That's so true to life though, I'm dating right now myself and people think playing games are cute I guess? I don't get it. If you like someone just say it while you like them, not while you're losing them.

• Love 3

But that was the proposition given the way the season ended. Mickey supposedly has fallen for Gus but she wants time out, if he can wait. His response? 'I'll wait,' or 'I'll not wait, let's commit right here right now,' - either way they are giving it a shot. And frankly that was perplexing to me. When did she fall for him? When he spent a whole day without calling her or when she discovered a rival later that night? 

The way I interpreted the ending was that Gus did respond. He wants the romance whether or not it's real or healthy. Mickey confessed that she shouldn't be in a relationship, and Gus kissed her anyway because he needed comfort. And Mickey went to meet him there, probably hoping for sex, despite realizing she should be alone. I didn't find it ambiguous at all. I saw it as more confirmation that their relationship is codependent. That's why I expect that the story will not be about them falling in love with each other, but more about their failed attempts to use love as a pacifier, to delude themselves with romance in order to avoid their personal issues. The most likely resolution, IMO, would be that they realize they're using each other and go their separate ways, and at best they might stay close friends.

I don't think Mickey needs a specific reason to fall for anyone. She just has a very hard time facing herself. Love and sex are drugs for her, and Gus was in the right/wrong place at the right time. I think something similar is happening with Gus, because he also succumbed to the illusion of romance in the end, even though he seemed to become more and more disenchanted with Mickey after the magic date. As soon as he felt fragile and lonely again, he chose to believe in the illusion (true love) even though Mickey was pointing out the magician's trick (love/sex addiction and codependency) to his face. His ex-girlfriend had to pretend to cheat on him in order to wake him from the illusion that they were in love. I think Mickey and Gus are both people who feel they need love to survive and will cling to any relationship that even slightly resembles it.

Edited by Liqidclark
  • Love 1

A thousand times yes, re: "fake nice" Gus. I'd be deeply unimpressed with any date who pulled that "Look at me--with the chicken, with the ponzu--aren't I great?" bullshit. Also? I know Mickey wasn't the best at the Magic Castle (I probably would have thrown my date a bone in that instance if I were Mickey. If I were me, I'd be all about seeing Ricky Jay, but not giving a shit about the lame act they actually did see), but dithering about the jacket was a total dick move by Gus. Anyway, they could have avoided that situation altogether if he'd paid attention to her signals--starting with her upfront admission--that she wasn't into magic. He knows Mickey has no filter, so what did he expect? It's on Gus if he's banned for life from the Castle--he deserves it for being deliberately tone deaf.

Edited by spaceghostess
  • Love 2

Gus is the kind of guy who does nice things to get something in return (cheating on Aria's test/expecting Susan Cheryl to read his script). So he ends up resenting people, even though they didn't ask for the "nice gesture" in the first place.

And this is a behavior very typical of codependent personalities. Gus "helps" people as a way to control them, hoping they'll continue to need him. It's a heavy blow to his ego if these attempts to "help" are not appreciated.

Edited by Liqidclark
  • Love 1

Man- Judd Apatow is why nepotism should not be a thing.

This show has "trying to be cool" written all over it. Were these people behind it the rejects in high school and college, I guess? They get behind the lens and think they're witty?

I like the girl, but hate she slept with her boss. And the boy role should have been cast hotter- I can't buy his scenes.

Very in depth analysis I know.

• Love 3

Liquidclark: all of that is a reasonable interpretation, but is that why anyone watches a romantic comedy? What I found interesting about watching this is that it and YOU'RE THE WORST (which I love) are trying to tread similar ground: dysfunctional, scarred people who find each other. I think the comparison shows, however, why romantic comedy is so damned difficult to get right. The delicacy with which you have to tread the line between intolerable and rooting interest is so extreme. Unlike apparently everyone else, I wasn't that enchanted with Bertie - she seemed to have strayed in from the movie SINGLEs (which I loved) or something, while the rest of the characters were more like THE PLAYER (another perfectly good movie), where no one does anything without an exploitive ulterior motive.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. Gus is THE WORST!!! The reason they love him is because Paul Rust co-created the show. And he's actually quite affable on Comedy Bang Bang! A lot of his friends in the show are part of the sketch group, Birthday Boys. The thing I HATE about this episode is that Mickey was the cool girl that had to be taken down a peg. So let's make Gus, the horrible, fake nerdy guy, make her feel bad about herself. It's so gross. If I wasn't obsessed with finishing shows I would have stopped after this ep.

• Love 6
Gus is the kind of guy who does nice things to get something in return (cheating on Aria's test/expecting Susan Cheryl to read his script). So he ends up resenting people, even though they didn't ask for the "nice gesture" in the first place.

I'd say this insight applies not just to the ponzu sauce, but to the date as a whole - Mickey wanted to stay in and order a pizza, but of course Gus has to "get credit" for planning a fancy date. She made her feelings about going out at all and then about the Magic Castle pretty clear, but she did actually give it a fair shot. I thought her point in the car that you can't force someone to like what you like, and especially can't expect them to like it in the exact same way, was totally right. It wasn't enough for Mickey to like the Magic Castle ironically, or to be entertained by the reactions of the woman in the bar, or to enjoy getting the ghost piano to play the Violent Femmes - Gus needed her to react in a really specific way that validated him. It had nothing to do with what Mickey is like as an individual, what she's interested in, what she might like to do. It was all about Gus. Despite her multiple faux pas at the magic show and her OTT reaction to the coat thing, I honestly felt that Gus acted more poorly on that date than Mickey did, in really fundamental ways of disregarding her desires, interests and comfort (after all, he chose her clothes...) in favor of his own. And then expecting to get kudos for it. 

tl;dr: Gus is The Worst.

(Side-note: it took me FOREVER to place the magician who did the card trick that Mickey fucked up. The host of Cupcake Wars! It was killing me. I had to dissect the credits to figure it out since it wasn't on IMDB.)

• Love 3

Okay, I literally just stopped reading this halfway through so I could come down here and say THANK YOU for expressing my exact feelings about the goddamn movie theme song night.

I've read quite a few reviews/comments that find it funny and charming, but I hate it so much. HATE. I agree that it's probably there to facilitate various characters' feelings of being in/out of Gus's circle, but it's incredibly obnoxious, in the main because the theme "songs" are so boring and unimaginative. And yes, they actually seem to think they're "creating" something. That lack of irony might be charming if not for the tedious product. His friends seem pretty nice (I really liked the way they welcomed Bearded Weed-seeker Neighbor and his buddy), but I can't relate to how anyone could tolerate that shit for five minutes, much less several hours. I'd have to be wasted to the point of not participating, and then they wouldn't want me there, anyway.

I'd rather sit through an 8-track of Bill Murray's Lounge Lizard singing "Star Wars, nothing but Star Wars . . ." than endure another movie theme night scene. It's really annoying, because those scenes were interspersed with character beats that I missed once I finally started muting or ff-ing.

Now I'll hear those stupid songs in my head whenever someone mentions Carlito's Way or The Perfect Storm, so thanks, Show.

ETA: This episode was when my dislike for Gus really began to kick in; by the finale, I wanted to punch him in the throat.

Edited by spaceghostess
  • Love 1

FREE BERTIE.

The rest of this show should be buried somewhere and never see the light of day again.

Paul Rust and Lesley Arfin should spend a few days watching You're the Worst and then do some serious thinking about whether they have anything to offer that hasn't been done 100 times better over there already. The 10 episodes worth of evidence so far would indicate that they do not. It's foul. And it's also sort of shockingly amateurish. (The Witchita showrunner character? She's written so broad it's like she's dropped in from a Saved By the Bell-type show.)

• Love 7

Yeah...and what was up with the movie choices? I mean, The Perfect Storm? Carlitos Way? Just seems like really weird, random ass choices of movies. Not that I am against doing dumb music stuff with friends (get me a few drinks, and I would probably even find the movie song game fun), but that just seems kind of...really lame. 

Gus is turning a little self insert fanfic to me. He is the nerdy guy who gets all the hot girls, is the "nice", "lovable" one, and has a large circle of tight friends. When, really, he can be charming, but he can also be a pretty big asshole. Which would be ok, if the show acknowledged that he was an asshole, but it really does not. Not that Mickey is a picnic, but Gus aint much better. 

I know a lot of people have compared this show to Your the Worst, and this show wishes it was Your the Worst. At least in that show, Gretchen AND Jimmy get called out when they act like jerks, and they have enough fun/positive traits to make up for their bad ones. Plus, we`re already close to the end of the season, and I just do not feel like Gus and Mickey have connected very much. All their interactions end up being disasters. Gretchen and Jimmy actually spend time together, and we see how they work as a (unconventional) couple. I do not get that at all with Gus/Mickey, at least as of now.  

• Love 2

I totally agree with all these posts!  Gah with Gus!  And I agree I feel the show wants us to like him but I just want to punch his smug ass face!  And that is odd for me because normally I do root for the underdog, outsider, whatever but here he just comes across as a little weasel.  And I find myself rooting for Mickey whom I thought I would dislike to begin with.  Yeah she's got her faults as well but I believe she is a little more self aware where douche bag is just waltzing thru life screwing unrealistically hot chicks. 

• Love 3

Gus never pursued any of these females, they somehow all conspired to be alone with him. Maybe the writers were mocking Gus, or more likely the women - 'oh look, the guy has the audacity not to want a threesome with two hot sisters who somehow found him more intriguing than their own fellow students!'

UGHHH! I hate this episode so much. I liked that Mickey came to a realization about her life and was glad. I really was. But then that last scene almost made me throw my TV out the window. Was Gus just emotionally manipulating her? Or was that just a goodbye thing? All I know is I don't think I'm going to watch season 2. I just can't stand Gus. There's nothing redeeming about him AT. ALL.

• Love 3

The way Gus acted in that writer's room was absolutely appalling. Yes, the showrunner was not the nicest person but she was doing her JOB and he was acting like a fucking lunatic. The way he attacked that woman and her laptop was disgusting. Were we supposed to be on his side? Because Arya getting him his job back was not a "Fuck yeah!" moment. He shouldn't even want to work there anymore after making an ass of himself.

If he actually had good ideas or contributed anything I might see his point but he kept going back to that fire idea over and over AND he insulted them to their faces and didn't back down after it was clear that he wasn't ingratiating himself to anyone. 

• Love 6

Good lord I have never been so happy to be old and married with turds like these floating around the dating pool. BLARF! I keep hearing this is exactly how the dating scene is; do people really behave like this??

I just can't stand Gus. There's nothing redeeming about him AT. ALL.

IKR?  I keep waiting for something, some little thing, to indicate he isn't the complete douche he appears to be on t.v.  A show of regret for his behavior, a change of attitude, or at least see him get some sort of punishment for the way he behaves but no--he just skips along like he's king of the world.  How does he justify his actions?  Kids, blah =(

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 2

I agree with all the criticisms mentioned above, especially the ridiculous fantasy we are supposed to believe that all these beautiful women are throwing themselves at Gus. The Heidi plot is by far the most eye-rolling for me, but could have been salvaged with some restructuring. For instance, it would be more realistic to me if she took more notice of him AFTER he gave her the acting advice that resulted in her getting a bigger role. And we find out later that she is lonely and bored as the new girl in town, but this isn't really clear early on, when she is intentionally running into him on set. I'm not saying they need to spell everything out at the beginning, but a more natural progression of their friendship would have made this slightly more believable. Like the walk to Mickey's house in episode 2, which I thought was believable and well done.

Other random thoughts:

- I really don't understand his job as an on-set tutor. Would it really require him to stick around for the late night shoots? Would they schedule a midnight algebra session for the actors? Likewise, does he really have all that time to lounge around the set watching everything? I realise that the tutoring times need to be flexible to accommodate production delays, but he spends a huge amount of time just hanging out, doing nothing. If this is an accurate portrayal, then how do I get a job like this? 

- I can't stand Arya. What a manipulative brat. I think we were supposed to feel some sympathy for her, but I never really did.

- The "let's write a movie theme song" game was amusing at first, but then felt a bit too precious. I think they were trying too hard to be quirky.

- It's probably a bad sign that I would rather watch Witchita than more episodes of Love. Seriously, they should make that show.

• Love 4

I just mainly feel bad for Mickey. She is clearly a mess of a person who has intensely romanticized her few brief encounters with Gus, and has now built him up as this ultimate Great Person who will save her from her self destructive ways. When, in reality, Gus probably looks better on Facebook then he does in real life.

Gus, on the other hand, is an asshole. He has just become worse and worse as the series has gone on, and this one just pushed him over the edge. If she isn't into Mickey anymore, fine, but freaking tell her that, you do NOT just ignore someone you hooked up with, especially when they are obviously into you.   

• Love 2

That's why I expect that the story will not be about them falling in love with each other, but more about their failed attempts to use love as a pacifier, to delude themselves with romance in order to avoid their personal issues. The most likely resolution, IMO, would be that they realize they're using each other and go their separate ways, and at best they might stay close friends.

I would like the show a hell of a lot more if I could believe this is really what the writers/creators intended. But I can't. I think this is too generous an interpretation of what we were actually shown. My read is that they really are trying to do a rom-com of two fucked-up people finding each other and eventually realizing they're Meant To Be, not matter how much they get in their own ways. I guess I'd be happy to be wrong, but I just don't know that there's any evidence in the series so far to support the idea that the show doesn't believe Gus and Mickey are genuinely supposed to be a romantic couple. I don't think the viewers were supposed to feel queasy at their big gas station reconciliation kiss (as I did) - I think we were supposed to feel pleased that these crazy kids are getting it together after all. That's why I said above I would have liked that resolution better if the kiss had been followed by a long, awkward, uncertain pause, like the post-wedding car ride in Catastrophe or the famous final scene in The Graduate. That, to me, would have been evidence that supports your reading of the situation. 

• Love 2

The way Gus acted in that writer's room was absolutely appalling. Yes, the showrunner was not the nicest person but she was doing her JOB and he was acting like a fucking lunatic. The way he attacked that woman and her laptop was disgusting. Were we supposed to be on his side? Because Arya getting him his job back was not a "Fuck yeah!" moment. He shouldn't even want to work there anymore after making an ass of himself.

If he actually had good ideas or contributed anything I might see his point but he kept going back to that fire idea over and over AND he insulted them to their faces and didn't back down after it was clear that he wasn't ingratiating himself to anyone. 

All of this!!! What the actual f was that scene meant to be? For one, I can't believe that he was so stupid about the reality of selling his episode. I'm presuming he has been an on set tutor for some time, so he'd have some idea about how the business works. Instead he behaved like a spoiled toddler, constantly pushing ideas that had been shot down, like the fire idea when the EP made it clear she was excited about the serial killer because it gave them a chance to do something new and fire was clearly something the witches were always involved with.

Once he realised his ideas weren't going over well he either needed to shut up and learn or change tactic completely. Instead he had a pathetic tantrum, insulted the people who were giving him the chance to realise his dreams and practically assaulted the woman who was typing. He should have been escorted straight off set like Mickey was the day before.

• Love 3

Binge-watched it over the weekend and concur with pretty much everything stated upthread.

FREE BERTIE.

The rest of this show should be buried somewhere and never see the light of day again.

By the end of all 10 episodes, Bertie was the only character that was even likable.  

Gus was kind of likable at the beginning (and I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt) but I couldn't stand his overly awkward nonsense by the end (and that writer's room scene was just fucking ridiculous -- who behaves like that ?  Ever !!).  

Is everyone in L.A. in therapy ?  Gus records his therapy (WTF ?) and Mickey is in a bunch of support groups (when she is sober enough and remembers to attend).

Mickey is just a trainwreck -- is there anything she isn't addicted too ?  Add in the fact that she is joyless, jealous and mean-spirited (and about a dozen other descriptors) that by the end of the last episode I would be happy if Love - Season 2 starts up with a brand new cast.

ETA: Just read the recap and Elizabeth Ball you pretty much nailed everything wrong with this show.  Nicely done.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

Why do we think Arya wanted to save Gus' job? Personally I think that he seemed like a pretty awful tutor and Arya had him wrapped around her little finger. If Gus was replaced there are good odds the new tutor would actually have expected her do some work instead of dancing in class and riding carts around the lot. She might even have to pass her own exams or fail them and take time out of work which wouldn't be good for her rehire prospects as what show/film will hire an actor who can't be relied upon.

I know nothing about the world of onset tutors but I imagine it's a job that takes talent and hard work to do well as, in all fairness to Arya, she had a genuine point about being exhausted from her job and adding schoolwork on top of it is a lot for a 12 year old. A child and even the teens on set would need a chance to blow off steam after work and getting them to learn anything in that scenario would be difficult. But Gus just wanted them to like him and did a crap job of laying down any boundaries for the kids who's education he was responsible for. He was an appalling teacher who would have been eaten alive in a school setting. But of course his main interest was 'working in television' which was how he described himself to Mickey upon meeting her. He didn't actually care too much about the kids, just his own opportunities to sell his script and be a writer.

• Love 1
(edited)

I made it 20 minutes in.  Too much ugly sex, and ugly personalities.

I feel like an old fuddy duddy.  I quit the show Casual Sex after the woman my age bragged to her brother "I came three times!" after a one-night stand.  Now here a woman tells a guy's mother, "His come is still inside me."  Barf.  I don't find it funny or outrageous.  Maybe it's a generation thing.  I don't find Lena Dunham or Amy Schumer funny, either.  I guess Richard Pryor's shocking comic routines were funny to me when was in high school.  Maybe that's the demographic.  

Edited by Guest

I felt for Gus this episode. Mickey essentially was stalking him at this point. Genders reversed, her behavior would be threatening. I like Mickey as a character, but she would be awful for a nice person to be friends or more with unless they had steel for a heart. Gus is not perfect, but I feel like he is every bit as honest and vulnerable as Mickey, he just adds some consideration to the mix.

• Love 2

I made it 20 minutes in.  Too much ugly sex, and ugly personalities.

I feel like an old fuddy duddy.  I quit the show Casual Sex after the woman my age bragged to her brother "I came three times!" after a one-night stand.  Now here a woman tells a guy's mother, "His come is still inside me."  Barf.  I don't find it funny or outrageous.  Maybe it's a generation thing.  I don't find Lena Dunham or Amy Schumer funny, either.  I guess Richard Pryor's shocking comic routines were funny to me when was in high school.  Maybe that's the demographic.  

I did watch the entire series and found some stuff I liked, but honestly, I totally agree with you.  I don't understand the need or appeal for showing "ugly" sex.  Nothing romantic at all in that.  

I hope you tried a few of the other episodes.  I did like the roommate and the relationship that was beginning to develop there.

Yes, this is the episode where I got the fake nice thing from Gus. It didn't take a genius to figure out he ordered a dish he had no intention of eating so Mickey could have the sauce. Pointing out his own generosity is condescending and makes him look like he wants a big ol' reward for being so nice.

Really, they were both assholes during the course of the evening. I don't fault him for wanting to have a great, special date, including one that includes magic!, though it's a risky (kind of bold) move. He made sure it would be memorable, which could be good or bad. Mickey behaved badly at the Magic House,, imo. I thought it was a bit condescending of her to think it would be okay to spend the evening watching someone else be amazed. (I know that if my honest delight of being entertained was used for someone's amusement, I would not be amused.) And I cannot believe that Mickey didn't understand the card trick. FFS, she knew enough about magic that she didn't like it, so I have to believe that she knew she ought to remember the damn card. And her running commentary during the magic show was disrespectful all the way around. So, points lost on all that.

As for Gus, if he was really a nice guy at heart, he would have offered up his jacket immediately. And when they got caught he would have said "of course we'll leave." If he was super-nice, he'd have said they'd leave the minute she said she was too cold. Points lost on that.

I don't know why he came back in the house after that disastrous date, but it seemed to me that Mickey had the last word with the vibrator. Passive aggressive much?

• Love 3

I guess part of my problem with the show is that these two are supposed to be in their early 30's, is that right? I think I heard reference to one of them being 35. Anyway, I'm not the one who's going to say "shouldn't they be thinking of settling down and having a family" blah blah blah because that's just not for everyone. However, there is a point when you grow the fuck up and quit playing dating games. I think that's what got me the most - they behaved like a couple of college kids. The tide really turned for me after their date when Mickey was basically a bitch the morning after (for what reason?). And of course, he had to build on that and ignore her. And so we end up with her basically stalking him at work (which, really?) and The Big Throwdown.

I know love is messy and it often doesn't make sense. That it happens just because and all that stuff, but hell, I don't even get the sense that these two even really like each other at this point. Yes, when they were riding in the car they got on great, but really, I don't remember watching and thinking "well, they've got some great chemistry!" Gus thought Mickey was hot and I guess Mickey thought he would be a reliable backup plan? I never really did get what she saw in him. We all know that everyone thinks Mickey is beautiful, cool and awesome (I seem to remember several references to that), but what did she see in Gus? Why would she run out and kiss him in the first place, other than the "nice guy" thing. Is that it? It seemed she had a nice guy already (the one she ran into at the party that she cheated on), so what is that thing that made her even consider Gus?

I initially liked Gus because I thought he might be kind of a sweet, homely dork. But by the end I feel like he's a manipulative prick who thinks only of himself and is not really all that bright. Mickey was hard to take right out of the gate: cynical, abrasive, self-absorbed and willing/able to lie in a heartbeat if it serves her purpose. Perhaps it is true love after all.

• Love 3

I think Gus has some of that woe is me, fake nice guy thing going on, but I find Mickey so much more intolerable. She's demanding and insensitive and seems completely unaware that the universe doesn't revolve around her. Her obliviousness seems at least partially intentional and it wears me out. She takes advantage of people, and when she gets called on it she either brushes it off as unimportant or goes off on them. I find her exhausting, so much more than so than Gus (and Gus is pretty exhausting).

• Love 4