Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Creatures Of The Night

(edited)

Am I the only who thinks Lydia fight sequence in the beginning is better than 90 percent of the fights that has ever been on this show. The fight choreography on this show is terrible there are low budget short films on youtube with better special effects ,acting and choreography . I dont understand how lydia a human banshee fight looks better thsn Scott a werewolf. He doesn't even fight like someone who is suppose to have super powers.

Edited by TonyMicheaux
  • Love 4

Lydia was awesome. Parrish was hot stuff. I felt for Stiles. Liam once again proved what a great addition he is to the cast.

Scott and Kira? They just aren't working there for me.

Oh and nice Sheriff/Melissa moments, no? Teamwork? (And why did the Sheriff pull the gun on totes-obviously-Phoenix-Parrish?)

• Love 1

Despite being tossed around like a tackling dummy and landing ineffectual punches, Scott actually managed to WIN a fight!  Color me, surprised...

Yeah, Lydia in action was awesome although if he screams every time she hits someone, it's going to give me a headache.  The last twenty minutes was intriguing, particularly the Lydia reveal.  Still, I expect Teen Wolf to start out awesome and then descend into the usual train wreck it finishes off as.

• Love 2

I liked the Lydia stuff. I hope that she'll be more integrated into the action now, and we can find out more about her banshee powers. I liked that we got a taste of it in the beginning. I guess some stuff is going to go down this season that does not bode well for the gang. It looks like Malia's family reunion won't go as planned, Kira leaves Beacon Hills, Scott fights Liam, Parrish is set on fire again and...Stiles gets into a car crash. I highly doubt he dies, but it seems something might happen to him. It was kind of cool to see Lydia in the awful Eichen House. That place has to be shut down soon...right?

Finally, Scott wins a fight. I was just thinking that the show sucks for not having Scott win fights because he should be competent enough to do so, goddamnit! He's not that much of an idiot!

I still like Kira/Scott a lot. And, hey, Malia finally grew on me, though Stiles/Malia is still not my cup of tea. Plus Shelley's hair looks amazing.

Nice to see Parrish get in on the action too, and he was so badass confronting blue talon werewolf. And look at new werewolf Theo, AKA Mike from Pretty Little Liars. Seeing as he's underused in Rosewood, maybe he'll be more use here. Though I have a feeling there'll be times when I get him confused with Liam, at least from long shots.

Good season premiere. I didn't think I was going to watch it, but it was between this and The Whispers so....

Also, great Alison callback. Now I kind of hope Crystal Reed appears as a cameo, because I still miss Allison.

• Love 1

I liked seeing Malia with her dad. Who has a gun. The scene where she thought about it before she put down her initials was nice. As was Scott putting down Allison's. I liked how Kira and Malia were quiet while the other three discussed her. But I couldn't help but think "Yeah, there's other missing initials. Aiden, Boyd, Erica..."

I didn't call the hallucination of Aiden at Eichen House. I assumed it was Ethan and Lydia was just mistaking him for his brother. Loved Lydia using her powers in a fight. Although why she has to scream and shove out with her hands at the same time I don't understand. 

For all the flash-forward stuff they showed, the one that freaked me out the most was Melissa slapping Sheriff. Especially after they had their nice little moment working together at the hospital. 

• Love 2

I'm so glad my summer guilty pleasure is back. I always get so frustrated with what the show could be, and always come back for more...

It was so in character for Stiles to want to keep everyone together. He's always seen the big picture with the group and I'm glad he's looking forward.

I love that this season is going to be one giant flashback. I hope we don't see too much of Lydia being abused at Eichen House because it's starting to really gross me out.

Did anyone see what Stiles' intials were? I'm surprised after his name was teased about in the 100 Wolf Facts that we didn't at least get to see his first initial too.

(edited)

Whatever bulking Liam/Dylan has done doesn't really seem to have aged him as much as I thought it would- he still looks and feels like a cute little brother.

I felt like the group chemistry was great in this episode.

Senior tradition was great. Ours was Senior Ditch Day. Also, getting into a water gun fight with our biology teacher. (I was the last one to do it.) It also made me think about this big poster that I got, that I had as many people as possible sign.

Theo is going to be evil, right?

Edited by methodwriter85
(edited)

I liked the Lydia stuff. I hope that she'll be more integrated into the action now, and we can find out more about her banshee powers. I liked that we got a taste of it in the beginning. I guess some stuff is going to go down this season that does not bode well for the gang. It looks like Malia's family reunion won't go as planned, Kira leaves Beacon Hills, Scott fights Liam, Parrish is set on fire again and...Stiles gets into a car crash. I highly doubt he dies, but it seems something might happen to him. It was kind of cool to see Lydia in the awful Eichen House. That place has to be shut down soon...right?

I find the Stiles stuff the most intriguing. Dylan is only going to be getting more and work now. Maze Runner is going with the churn out these YA novel movies as quickly as possible right now and he's filming a movie with Mark Wahlberg and Kate Hudson right now about the 2010 oil spill. They might have to write him off soon. I assume Stiles staying on the show is completely up to O Brien now. He loves the show and Tyler Posey is his best friend so we will see.

Who am I kidding. The most important part of Lydia's reveal at the end was Mama McCall and the Sheriff. Put those two crazy kids together already.

I also didn't know Tyler Posey's mom had been battling breast cancer the whole time he's been filming Teen Wolf. I was curious after the dedication at the beginning. I'm sad to see she passed away. The guy is always so full of life. I couldn't have guessed he was going through something so rough.

Theo is going to be evil, right?

Buckle up for a love triangle at the very least.

Edited by Racj82

I promise this isn't a shipper thing but the Allison/Scott kiss then her drawing back her bow looked a lot cooler than the Kira/Scott kiss and sword slash. I did get a bit teary when Scott added Allison's initials and Lydia's situation seems like the ideal opportunity for CR to make a cameo.  

Strong starts are typical for TW but this one was particularly good, the flashforward/flashback sets up the season nicely but what I'm most interested in is how Lydia gets a power upgrade. 

• Love 1

This was a good solid start to the season 5. Intriguing new villains and the idea of this season being one big flashback is an interesting idea. I really liked the group chemistry and the nod to Allison Argent. The story already feels tighter without the addition of Derek and Peter. That's probably because the story doesn't have to toggle settings as much and there's fewer characters to focus on. I liked seeing Father Kieran as Malia's dad. Kira's belt sword was awesome.

(edited)

Hm... I'm not sure what to think of that episode. I liked the stuff about them worrying about what will happened after they graduate. Though at this point assuming that they don't actually die, Scott and Stiles would stay friends forever. I also liked the scene where the adults were talking about the supernatural stuff like it's normal. And how nobody is all that concerned when Perish just jumps back to life.

I was hoping that it was Ethan training Lydia or something, but I was disappointed to realize that not only was it the future but it wasn't even real.

I was also glad that Scott won that fight, because I was worried that they would take his powers away, which after watching that in grimm last season, it got old really fast.

Edited by blueray

Kira's belt sword was great because it was unexpected but it really makes no sense in terms of use as a Sword (of course, it should collapse right back in combat) and BHHS's no-weapons policy but...cool.

I do think the premiere set up the whole season or at least the front 10, which is really nice. It gives a structure that will probably still be The Doctors for 8 eps and then suddenly back to the Desert Wolf at the end if they follow the bad example of S4. Hoping they'll start building the Desert Wolf (or the Dessert Wolf, which you know, better) sooner.

So there's a way to infuse supes with extra power and a side of fries and...birds!?!?! (Escher would approve) That's where I'm guessing Lydia got her power up. He hallucinated Lydia I think in a similar way to Lydia hallucinating Aidan, right? I'm hoping it's not through the black goo because it's disgusting and Parrish was not practicing safe-victiming and got that black stuff all over. He burned it off a few minutes later I suppose when the Sheriff dragged his corpse into the Morgue. I love that it's the first ep and Parrish has already died once. I hope they all-out kenny-from-southpark him.

The whole rape-by-injection scene at the start is still creeping me out. And the ep seems to gives new meaning to giving someone the bird, assuming those crows (they weren't big enough for ravens, right?) that flew out of stomach had to do with the steampunk powerup. Or maybe he was just made of birds to begin with.

But the really big thing of the ep. Sheriff. Melissa. A thing? No physical distance between them in the morgue. That slap in the flashforward. Eep!

• Love 1

I know Derek got a couple of mentions, but did they say where he was? I know the actor is no longer a regular, but I feel they should at least say he and Peter went to Fire Island for the summer or something.

I thought this season is six MONTHS after season four, not six weeks?

I know Derek got a couple of mentions, but did they say where he was? I know the actor is no longer a regular, but I feel they should at least say he and Peter went to Fire Island for the summer or something.

No word yet, but I really hope that's where they are.

I'm finding Parrish to be far & away the most interesting character on the show these days. Maybe it's just cause he's such a mystery, and I'm shipping him & Lydia hard.

This episode seemed just like a lot of set-up though? I'm withholding judgment until part two, tonight.

I would like to know why, if Lydia can develop sonic ninja skills, they can't up Kira's game too? I watched the S4 marathon and her fighting had a depressing pattern: overconfident spinning, one good jab or bullet deflection, then slammed up against the wall to slide down unconscious. Shouldn't she have some fox-like strength or wiliness or flexibility or something?! How about she uses her damn sword to conduct electricity and fry these bastards?

I was shocked that Natalie would put Lydia in Eichen House. She knows her mother-in-law was murdered there, right? I have to hand it to them though, it was creepy as hell. The Steampunk Doctors...we'll see.

I was shocked that Natalie would put Lydia in Eichen House. She knows her mother-in-law was murdered there, right? I have to hand it to them though, it was creepy as hell. The Steampunk Doctors...we'll see.

My guess is she didn't. Lydia was like kidnapped or something. But I'm sure as the season goes on we will find out (or at the end).

I...don't feel good about that premiere. All the stuff that didn't deal with whatever the villain story is ging to be was good, but I'm afraid it's going to be another season where a bunch of minor baddies pop up just enough to pique interest but not nearly enough to be satisfying while a wholly unsatisfying big bad remains cloaked in irritating mystery.

And I get that Scott won't kill, but should he really always be tossed around like a rag doll? Dramatic red-eyed slow comebacks are already getting old. Also: Stilinski and Mama McCall fighting?! I wanted the exact opposite of that. But I love them both, so I'll take whatever screen time I can get.

Obviously they are off celebrating the Supreme Court decision.

• Love 2

And I get that Scott won't kill, but should he really always be tossed around like a rag doll?

Once again we're all here wondering why he was a better fighter when he was a Beta. I know they were going for the "Scott is going to die" fakeout but since it's the first episode we were hardly faked out.

they can't up Kira's game too? I watched the S4 marathon and her fighting had a depressing pattern: overconfident spinning, one good jab or bullet deflection

The new credits make it pretty clear her role is love interest and sword poser so I'm not surprised. It is disappointing. I really liked the character in the beginning but now I feel they just don't know what to do with her. Malia is the same. At least they've remembered the latter has a father.

The whole rape-by-injection scene at the start is still creeping me out

That was just gross.

I don't know how I feel about it as a premiere but I often find they use the first episode to just throw random elements at us they're planning to bring together at the end. Unfortunately, last season was an object lesson in how that process can fail miserably.

It was actually just little things that annoyed me rather than the big stuff. Why, if they were going to the school, did Scott ride his bike through a traffic jam to get Kira and then leave his bike in the street while they wandered off to some random overpass in the rain? Answer: Because the directer thought it would be cool to have a giant werewolf come through thundering rain and attack them under it. I just couldn't get over what they were doing there in the first place.

Mostly I feel the storm and traffic jam and lightning wasn't enough of a sense of ominous forboding to justify some of the melodramatic lines. Scott delivered his lines about getting Kira from the traffic jam with the same sense of urgency he'd use if her life was in danger. Or if their appointment at "the school" was some sort of Big Bad confrontation and they needed her to back them up.

"We need to get to the school," was delivered by several characters as if something really bad was going down and so I couldn't understand why the next scene they were in the hospital or leaving illegally-parked motorbikes in the rain.

I thought this season is six MONTHS after season four, not six weeks?

I don't know but if someone could clear up this timeline I'd be grateful.

Happy to help.

1972. Derek is born.

1989. Derek is born.

1852. Derek is born.

1978. Derek is born.

6 BC. Derek is born.

In all cases, he is too old for Stiles.

Season 1: They're sophomores.

Season 5: They're seniors.

Season 2: They're all geriatric outpatients at retirement homes.

Season 4: They were never born and it is an alternate world.

Claudia Stilinski died in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, and 1876. She also died in childbirth 6BC.

Let me know if there any other fine details you're confused about.

• Love 12
(edited)

I'm sorry but if Claudi Stilinski died in childbirth 6BC and Derek was ALSO born in 6BC, that makes him and Stiles the same age.

Just saying.

Hey, nobody said Claudia was giving birth to STILES in 6BC. She was giving birth to Derek. 

Edited by Lady Calypso
  • Love 1
(edited)

It was actually just little things that annoyed me rather than the big stuff. Why, if they were going to the school, did Scott ride his bike through a traffic jam to get Kira and then leave his bike in the street while they wandered off to some random overpass in the rain? Answer: Because the directer thought it would be cool to have a giant werewolf come through thundering rain and attack them under it. I just couldn't get over what they were doing there in the first place.

Mostly I feel the storm and traffic jam and lightning wasn't enough of a sense of ominous forboding to justify some of the melodramatic lines. Scott delivered his lines about getting Kira from the traffic jam with the same sense of urgency he'd use if her life was in danger. Or if their appointment at "the school" was some sort of Big Bad confrontation and they needed her to back them up.

"We need to get to the school," was delivered by several characters as if something really bad was going down and so I couldn't understand why the next scene they were in the hospital or leaving illegally-parked motorbikes in the rain.

Not to diverge from the birth timelines (hilarious might I add) but here's what I think you're looking for:

Scott and Stiles realizing Kira wasn't going to make it.

Scott goes home to get his motorbike.

Scott gets Kira on his bike and has their chick-flick kiss.

(Not shown) Scott and Kita ride to school. Park the bike.

Scott and Kira go to the weird school underpass and then are eventually attacked by the talon-werewolfy bird?

That underpass area has been used for fights since the first season. One of the Twins died there, they fought Berserkers through there and has been used for a lot of conversations. It is a super weird area for a high school, not great for supervision which the school would be all over in reality.

The whole "We have to get to school" theme was to get to the Senior Scribe, you know, doing something normal. And because Stiles is obsessively scared about losing his friends after graduation, so he's literally the driving force to get them to school. Does that help?

If we don't see an electric Kira this season, or a legit reason for her not lighting it up all the time, I'm going to be mad. Don't talk about an awesome power and then never use it! Talk about a lost moment, they could have had her take a lightning bolt while standing on the roof of the car.

Edited by SnoGirl
  • Love 4

Not a fan of this episode.  I am completely over Eichen House and the opening scene was very rapey feeling.  The Lydia fight scene was the first time I ever really felt like the stunt double was blatently obvious and it distracted from the entire thing.

I have no idea why glow-in-the-dark wolf was bricked up in a wall?  Was that necissary for any other reason that beating up Parrish?  Intrigued by the Steampunk robot villans, but also wary/weary after the season 4 villans being so terrible.

I loved everything with the gang starting senior year and Stiles working to keep everyone together.  Loved the nods to Derek and Allison.  Also really like the dynamic between Stiles and Liam.  Don't really care about Scott/Kira or Stiles/Malia's romances, but love the whole pack as family frienships going on between everyone.

• Love 1

Did anyone see what Stiles' intials were? I'm surprised after his name was teased about in the 100 Wolf Facts that we didn't at least get to see his first initial too.

To me, it looked like he only wrote one letter, which looked like an 'S'.  I don't think they ever actually showed it.

The needle/rapey opening was just a little too much, though I loved seeing Lydia kick ass with her sonic Banshee powers. As to why she has to gesture while screaming for them to work, maybe it's like element bending in the Avatar world: The gestures/motions help focus/direct her powers. Or like other non-visual powers representations in live-action, the director feels there needs to be a physical action to help convey it, like Professor Xavier touching his temple when using his telepathy, though the sonic wave / distortion special effects takes care of that. Or maybe like some Avatar element bending, she can use her banshee powers without gesturing, but it helps or amplifies them when she does gesture.

However, I can't think of any reason Lee Press On Glow In the Dark Talon Bird Wolf was locked behind a wall other than for creepy atmospherics. When he reported to the Dread Doctors, I had to turn on the closed captioning to hear what they said. I really hate when shows make it difficult to follow/understand simply for the sake of creepiness.  Speaking of the Steampunk Doctors, I wonder if body in tank is that of their master trying to heal, or one of their (failed/previous/other?) creations.

Finally, I may have gotten something in my eye when Scott signed the library shelf with AA. That said, I don't think Senior Scribe night was so important that they MUST do it in the middle of a supernatural monsoon. Use a little common sense and practicality people.

I wonder if body in tank is that of their master trying to heal, or one of their (failed/previous/other?) creations.

They picked it up at Goodwill in a misguided attempt to make the evil laboratory more cozy.

(edited)

It was fine.  The fake out with the urgency to get the school was dumb, but it adequately opened the season.  BUT FOR FUCK SAKE BUY A MAP!!! Why can't writers figure out the fucking Bay Area.  "What about Berkeley, lots of students live there."  Fine, but followed by Stiles sounding like he's considering  that idea and then mentioning Nob Hill which is in SF not Berkeley (and not a place to look if you're worried about cost).  And then a minute later, "We haven't considered the East Bay." Berkeley IS the East Bay.  [\NorCal Rant]   Sorry.  It's a pet peeve. Wait, one more thing.... Stanford is not that close to SF, and UC Davis is nearly 75 miles away.  

Edited by RachelKM

Finally, Scott wins a fight. I was just thinking that the show sucks for not having Scott win fights because he should be competent enough to do so, goddamnit! He's not that much of an idiot!

Scott's power lies with his pack, so he started to win when they showed up.  Which is a good thing, since they all stood around being useless while he was being drained. They stilol haven't learned any team-up methods of fighting!

I couldn't help but think "Yeah, there's other missing initials. Aiden, Boyd, Erica..." 

They weren't nearly as core to the pack, and especially to Scott, as Akkison was.

Stanford is not that close to SF, and UC Davis is nearly 75 miles away.

Yeah, I could see living in SF (well, except for the affordability factor, which is nil) and commuting to Palo Alto and Berkeley, but there is no way Scott would be commuting to Davis every day!

It was fine.  The fake out with the urgency to get the school was dumb, but it adequately opened the season.  BUT FOR FUCK SAKE BUY A MAP!!! Why can't writers figure out the fucking Bay Area.  "What about Berkeley, lots of students live there."  Fine, but followed by Stiles sounding like he's considering  that idea and then mentioning Nob Hill which is in SF not Berkeley (and not a place to look if you're worried about cost).  And then a minute latter, "We haven't considered the East Bay." Berkeley IS the East Bay.  [\NorCal Rant]   Sorry.  It's a pet peeve. Wait, one more thing.... Stanford is not that close to SF, and UC Davis is nearly 75 miles away.  

This drives me nuts with shows set in NYC too, the worst offender possibly being How I Met Your Mother. I'm sorry, but if Ted & Marshall live on the Upper West Side, and Barney lives on the Upper East Side, there's no way they're hanging out every night.

Scott's power lies with his pack, so he started to win when they showed up.  Which is a good thing, since they all stood around being useless while he was being drained. They stilol haven't learned any team-up methods of fighting!

That was one of the most annoying things. Scott was literally getting the life drained from him while his friends stood around watching . Not one of them thought hey that dude has his claws in Scott therefore we could use our fancy belt sword or super strength to knock him away from Scott.

I could excuse them if they at least tried and Scott powered up before they could stab or strike random guy but this reeked of plot contrivance so that Scott could sort of win a fight. Typical of Scott someone tries to kill him and he doesn't even bother to hold him to ask any questions about WHY.

*sigh*

I think I might be done with Scott and his stupid pack. I still don't know how pack mechanics work or why everyone hates Omegas so much.

That was one of the most annoying things. Scott was literally getting the life drained from him while his friends stood around watching . Not one of them thought hey that dude has his claws in Scott therefore we could use our fancy belt sword or super strength to knock him away from Scott..

I want to like Kira -- she's cute and I think her chemistry with Scott is fine.  But she used electricity one time, and never thought "this is cool -- I can use this!" Instead , she's always posing with a sword she never uses.  Allison got things done!  Guh!

Whatever about the banshee screams, it's kinda mental that Lydia has apparently become Black Widow in the time between this episode and the flashforward scenes. Especially when it could have been handwaved to some extent here by saying "Oh, Parrish has been training her in basic self-defence in the six-month season gap, because one of these damn kids should learn some actual fighting skills at some point". 

Agree with everyone above that Kira needs to get her damn lightning on. Or any other Kitsune-specific power, really - honestly, anything to make it meaningful that she's a different kind of super. Instead, everyone bar Lydia has the same generic "strength, speed, healing" template, with a few as-malleable-as-the-plot-requires werewolf-specific bits. Part of what I really loved about season 3 was the branching out into less common mythologies - the darach, the kitsune, the banshee. Reeling that back in to "everyone's a fighter, and Lydia also sees stuff sometimes" is disappointing.

Loved Lydia using her powers in a fight. Although why she has to scream and shove out with her hands at the same time I don't understand. 

Remember Jennifer Blake slammed her palms into the elevator doors before sending Kali flying in Season 3A, so maybe that sort of gesture is necessary to focus mystical power into a zap against an opponent. The scream is in theme with her being a banshee, I can see why that's an element of Lydia's attack.

Remember Jennifer Blake slammed her palms into the elevator doors before sending Kali flying in Season 3A, so maybe that sort of gesture is necessary to focus mystical power into a zap against an opponent. The scream is in theme with her being a banshee, I can see why that's an element of Lydia's attack.

Lydia's fight sequence actually sort of reminded me of like a Sue Storm deal, mixed in the banshee screaming element. I appreciated that a lot. And I do like that this week we're starting to get her training to that straight off the bat.