Type keyword(s) to search

Rotting Y&R: The Spoiler Thread

• Start Topic

20 minutes ago, JasonCC said:

So Jack would be related to Chance...........but not Devon or Mackenzie.

correct.

mackenzie is brock's who is a reynolds.

devon is tuckers who is a mccall? adopted name i think, can't remember who his father was...result of a ons i think.

so yup, he would be related to chance...great uncle?

• Love 3
3 hours ago, JasonCC said:

So Jack would be related to Chance...........but not Devon or Mackenzie.

Yep, Jack would be related to Phillip Chancellor III (half-brother) AND Phillip4/Chance (nephew).

Jill & Phillip Chancellor II produced Phillip 3 

Phillip 3 & Nina produced Phillip4/Chance

So far they are the only actual blood Chancellors we know of.

Brock Reynolds is the son of Katherine Chancellor & Gary Reynolds, Kay's 1st husband

MacKenzie is Brock's daughter and Katherine's granddaughter

Tucker was a result of Katherine having an affair while she married to Gary Reynolds with Judge Arthur Hendricks.

Tucker had a one night stand with a crack addict groupie nicknamed Candy Cane, later known to be Yolanda, which produced Devon.

Both births were illegitimate (double bastard), and the father's didn't know they existed until years later, so Devon didn't carry either name.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/13/2018 at 1:02 PM, valleycliffe said:

could be....at least no incest would occur....

LOLOL  remember when jill found out she was the progeny of neil fenmore then sued lauren for half?

i would LOVE for jack to sue jill for half of chancellor....

Jill got half of Fenmores because Neal Fenmore left it to his blood heirs. So when another heir (Jill) appeared she got her cut.

Katherine didn't do that. She left Chancellor Industries to Victor. Jill bought it from Victor. Jack couldn't sue Jill for Chancellor Industries because it wasn't left to her.

I suppose Jack could challenge Katherine's will, since he is a new heir that was unknown at the time, but that would affect everybodies distribution.

Katherine's will

9/11/13 Will Reading (ENSTARS provided by CBS)-
Sherman begins the will reading and the following items are dished out:

- Murphy inherits her classic car collection, a quarter of the estate, her country house, and the fishing pole she couldn't figure out.

- Esther receives a monthly stipend of $20,000 as long as she stays on at the mansion.

- Cane is to continue as sole CEO of Chancellor Industries.

- Victor gets her collection of first edition books. ( but a couple weeks after Katherine's funeral, on September 27th, 2013, Victor Newman received a letter from Katherine leaving him Chancellor Industries . Her letter to him read: My Dear friend Victor, by the time you read this, you will have learned of my passing. I lived a long and colorful life and have no regrets about entering the next phase of my journey, save one. I wanted to ensure the longevity of my beloved Chancellor Industries. That is why I've decided to name you the sole owner of the company. I hope you will accept this gift in the loving spirit in which it was given. Love, Katherine.)

- Tucker is given the record collection.

- Brock, Mac, Phillip III, Phillip IV, and Nina share one quarter of the estate equally

- Nikki inherits her writings.

- Chloe receives her couture gowns.

- Delia gets an education fund of $500,000.

- Kevin a wooden box containing a skeleton key so he can "unlock the secret to his happiness."

- The remainder of Katherine's cash, $2,475,000,000, is given to her grandson, Devon.

-Jill receives Kay’s half of the mansion. Jill already owned half so she now owns the estate in full.
The biggest surprise (or perhaps upset) occurs when Jill is given Katherine's most prized and valuable possession: a music box which ends up leading to an expensive necklace worth tens of millions, and a few years later and a key which leads to a ring from Phillip Chancellor himself which Kay was hiding from Jill since his death. Jill later buys Chancellor Industries from  Victor

Edited by LongtimeYRfan
  • Love 8

I forgot about the cryptic skeleton key to Kevin. I had thought at the time maybe it was a segue to making Kevin come out as gay....that Katherine had known/suspected he was.

The Jill music box crap was a mess that went on for way too long, BUT the revelation that Katherine had kept that super expensive engagement ring away from Jill all those years fit into the two characters tangled history over Philip. Plus it gave an excuse to show some good 1970s Y&R clips.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, JasonCC said:

I forgot about the cryptic skeleton key to Kevin. I had thought at the time maybe it was a segue to making Kevin come out as gay....that Katherine had known/suspected he was.

I thought that too. What a missed opportunity, not playing that storyline. GR could have played the hell out of that. Instead they saddle him with Chloe and pretend that they have some sort of chemistry. WTF

• Love 8
(edited)

according to sod, i guess next week mackenzie tells victoria that jt's credit cards are being used...nick also finds out this....when victor hears about it he suggests he and nick set their differences aside and work together to find jt.

ETA:  oh, and as philly are getting hot and heavy when he gets a call from dummer saying she needs his help.

he goes to her hotel room at gcac and she tells him that she is on a losing streak, has lost her inheritance and needs his help to get it back..he says ok, but this would be the last time...

makes me laugh..he's an addict...like an alcoholic it only takes 1 drink to relapse....betting all it takes for billy to relapse will be this one game...

i was really hoping they gave in and had sex instead. :( 

ETA AGAIN:  LOL  i just read today's cdn eppy and when billy gets back to dummers place, he tells her he had a long day and is going up to his room to do some work and go to sleep..dummer calls "the gang" over and when billy gets up and comes down stairs dummer and the gang are playing poker.  he watches for a while and then billy pulls out a wad of cash and says deal me in.

Edited by valleycliffe
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

according to sod, i guess next week mackenzie tells victoria that jt's credit cards are being used...nick also finds out this....when victor hears about it he suggests he and nick set their differences aside and work together to find jt.

ETA:  oh, and as philly are getting hot and heavy when he gets a call from dummer saying she needs his help.

he goes to her hotel room at gcac and she tells him that she is on a losing streak, has lost her inheritance and needs his help to get it back..he says ok, but this would be the last time...

makes me laugh..he's an addict...like an alcoholic it only takes 1 drink to relapse....betting all it takes for billy to relapse will be this one game...

i was really hoping they gave in and had sex instead. :( 

ETA AGAIN:  LOL  i just read today's cdn eppy and when billy gets back to dummers place, he tells her he had a long day and is going up to his room to do some work and go to sleep..dummer calls "the gang" over and when billy gets up and comes down stairs dummer and the gang are playing poker.  he watches for a while and then billy pulls out a wad of cash and says deal me in.

Billy and Summer will probably not have sex because we or Mal can not have cheating happen to such a sweet innocent couple such as Philly. 

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

Billy and Summer will probably not have sex because we or Mal can not have cheating happen to such a sweet innocent couple such as Philly. 

IKR? They are such loyal and committed people. They would never cheat. Lol.

• Love 12
22 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

Somehow I don't believe that Phyl would be wanting Summer alone around Billy....if she wants to spend time & be a Mommy to her dotter, then why the hell isn't she home with her more?? Seems to me Phyl would jump at the chance to get a place of their own ( and by "their" I mean she & Beely, not Dummer). Such shit writing...does Mal think this is "good stuff"??

• Love 13
4 hours ago, RedRockRosie said:

Somehow I don't believe that Phyl would be wanting Summer alone around Billy....if she wants to spend time & be a Mommy to her dotter, then why the hell isn't she home with her more?? Seems to me Phyl would jump at the chance to get a place of their own ( and by "their" I mean she & Beely, not Dummer). Such shit writing...does Mal think this is "good stuff"??

Phyllis thought Billy could mentor Summer at Jabot. I don’t even know how many levels of stupid that is. Billy is an idiot and not a believable CEO to begin with. Do CEOs really have time to mentor spoiled rich girls who are acting out? And wtf does Phyllis, a Fenmores employee (lol), know about what Jabot’s CEO can and can’t do? 

Soaps are heavy handed but Mal’s Y&R is so contrived you can’t actually sympathize with anyone. It’s all too much stupid.

• Love 13
On 6/15/2018 at 9:58 AM, LongtimeYRfan said:

Jill got half of Fenmores because Neal Fenmore left it to his blood heirs. So when another heir (Jill) appeared she got her cut.

Katherine didn't do that. She left Chancellor Industries to Victor. Jill bought it from Victor. Jack couldn't sue Jill for Chancellor Industries because it wasn't left to her.

I suppose Jack could challenge Katherine's will, since he is a new heir that was unknown at the time, but that would affect everybodies distribution.

Katherine's will

9/11/13 Will Reading (ENSTARS provided by CBS)-
Sherman begins the will reading and the following items are dished out:

- Brock, Mac, Phillip III, Phillip IV, and Nina share one quarter of the estate equally

- The remainder of Katherine's cash, $2,475,000,000, is given to her grandson, Devon.

Katherine's will was one of the WORST writing decisions ever made on the show. Her fortune originated from her first husband, Gary Reynolds - she inherited it when he died while their son Brock was a minor. The original backstory was that Brock was dissatisfied by her remarriage to Philip II and subsequent renaming of the Reynolds Plant after Philip. So the "Chancellor fortune" is actually the Reynolds fortune and should go to Brock and his heirs - his daughter Mac and her two children. I understand that neither Brock nor Mac wanted a large inheritance but when Katherine died she already had a great-grandson via Mac, whom she could - and should - have named as her principal heir given that her fortune originated with his great-grandfather and she had no idea if he - unlike his mother and granddad - might have an interest in his familial legacy. Katherine was left looking like a despicable witch when she bequeathed a paltry 10% of what was Gary's fortune to his only child and grandchild, while the vast majority (50%) went to Devon - her grandson via the bastard son who was born when she cheated on Gary with the judge! Did any of the writers even consult the backstory of these characters before they dished out Katherine's assets?

• Love 14
8 minutes ago, Aymery said:

Katherine's will was one of the WORST writing decisions ever made on the show.

Agree 100%

9 minutes ago, Aymery said:

Katherine was left looking like a despicable witch

Agree 100%

9 minutes ago, Aymery said:

Her fortune originated from her first husband, Gary Reynolds - she inherited it when he died while their son Brock was a minor. The original backstory was that Brock was dissatisfied by her remarriage to Philip II and subsequent renaming of the Reynolds Plant after Philip. So the "Chancellor fortune" is actually the Reynolds fortune and should go to Brock and his heirs - his daughter Mac and her two children.

Disagree/highly debatable. A couple of lines, said once, in dialog does not make it fact, or permanent backstory. If one was to pour through every Y&R transcript you would find thousands of mistakes, filler dialog that wasn't meant to mean anything significant, and dialog meant to turn stories, but later they decided against that turn. My theory it was the last option, but my guess is based on alleged behind the scenes gossip back in the 80s so I'll skip that here. 

I'll base my counter arguments on the facts I know.

1) There is on screen dialog that directly contradicts any dialog of Gary started Chancellor. 

From the show itself on 8/11/11: Ashley talking to Kay telling her she took over Phillip's family business
Y&R Transcript Thursday 8/11/11
Ashley: You know what really gets me? You both know what it feels like to have a company you love ripped away from you, only it's much worse for Tucker, because our father started Jabot, and Phillip started Chancellor, so basically, you both took over family businesses. But Tucker built McCall from the ground up, and you do not have the right to take it away from him. 

Kay: Ashley, now you listen to me. Whoever founded the company is immaterial to me

2) How could Phillip Chancellor set up seven figure trust for Victor Newman & Mitchell Sherman to manage for HIS heir (Jill's son) without Kay's permission? Kay had no control over it, if it's her fortune, not his why not?  This trust was fought over for years, it wasn't a couple of line of dialog.

From Soap Opera Digest Synopsis Cover date: April 18, 1989 
“Victor summons Phillip to his office where he and Mitchell Sherman tell the lad about a hefty trust fund his father set up for him. They withheld the 7 figure sum from him until they were satisfied he was mature enough to handle it. Phillip is delighted but he asks Mitchell to continue to manage the money for him. “It’s important that he makes it on his own”, Phillip explains.”

3) Bill Bell & Y&R put on a couple books detailing the show. They are huge books with beautiful photos and have all Y&R's history in them (until 1998).  One is, The Young and the Restless Most Memorable Moments (1996), the second is Special Silver Anniversary Collector's Edition. The Young and the Restless (1998). The Anniversary issue has all the family trees and the storylines by year- 1973 through 1998. Everyone should read them, they're based off the Y&R soap bible. I haven't run across a mistake yet. They are packed full of facts, they're literally an encyclopedia for Y&R up until 1998, and easily searchable. Available secondhand on Amazon, eBay, and many more places. You can get them for a few bucks, but I'd pay up for an excellent/good condition copy to get all the pages, plus the photos are amazing.

- There are a least 3 places where they should've mentioned Gary was the founder of Chancellor if this was so, but they never did so, and the books includes plenty of back story. Gary isn't even named, he's referred to as Brock's father, or Kay first husband in the very few places he's mentioned. In the company section he's not mentioned.

-On page 196, in the Family Tree section, Anniversary issue, a snippet about Chancellor history.
“The history of the Chancellor family is deeply rooted in the history of Genoa City, which was founded by Civil War hero Garfield Dandridge Chancellor. In 1973 Garfield’s great-great-grandson, Phillip Chancellor II, was running Chancellor Industries. He resided in the Chancellor mansion with his alcoholic and promiscuous wife Katherine (Kay). The two barely communicated with each other as husband and wife, and the lonely Phillip, driven to distraction by Katherine’s obsessive behavior, sought refuge in the company of Katherine’s young and beautiful paid companion, Jill Foster. Phillip and Jill fell in love, Jill got pregnant, and Phillip demanded a divorce--setting off a long and bitter feud between the two women. But Katherine got her revenge by driving Phillip over a cliff, killing him.”

-In the same section talking about Brock: "Katherine had an adult son, Brock Reynolds from a previous marriage. Wouldn't the founder of Chancellor Industries be named? He's only a "previous marriage."

4) Past & present storylines make no sense from day one to today.

Kay & Jill's 40 years of rivalry make no sense whatsoever if Gary was the founder. None of the stories reflect that premise. None of them! Gary isn't brought up in any of their fights. Never. I don't remember Brock & Mac ever talking about the company their father founded, or even mentioning Gary. 

-Philip married Jill on his deathbed. For a short time, Jill and her family moved into the mansion because, as his Phillip's wife, she inherited Phillip's estate. It was not until Kay had her priced lawyer invalidate the divorce, (based on being drunk when she signed them, which automatically invalidated Jill's marriage to Phillip), that Jill had to move out. If all this was Gary's how could Jill get these assets? Why didn't Kay bring up Gary? He was never mentioned in this battle.

-Why did Kay offer a million dollars for baby Phillip, if Gary was the founder? She had her own son from Gary. Kay was obsessed with Phillip's heirs over her own. She tried to buy them, adopt them, mother them, pick their spouses, control their trusts, and ending up loving them like her own. 

- How could Jill get ownership of 1/2 of the Chancellor mansion in the 90s? Remember the famous attic fight? It was over a letter from Philip leaving her the mansion. The court awarded ownership based on a letter from Phillip Chancellor leaving her the WHOLE mansion. Kay got to keep half because of a technicality.
The name Gary Reynolds never brought up at that trial.

-It was very important to Kay to teach Phillip III how to run Chancellor, she was personally having him groomed to take the helm. He was working there as a young man. Mac and Brock weren't even asked. They were her own children. Why not?

-Even today, why does no one in Genoa city know that Gary founded Chancellor? Jack wants a stake in it. Doesn't he know Gary founded it? Is it a secret from everyone in town? Jill has never seemed to know this fact either.

Since it's a soap, I suppose they could spring a huge twist Kay kept secret from everyone all these years based on a few lines of dialog 20 years ago. Heck they don't need a few lines of dialog, they could make anything they want up. But wouldn't that make the past 45 years of story one big lie? 

• Love 7
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

There is a spumor floating around on another site that Drinki is going to start drinking again. Not that I blame her.

Oh, pretty please, yes yes yes.  Drunk Drinki is one of my faves.

• Love 12

I saw a post somewhere else that got deleted pretty quick where someone supposedly saw a post in a FB group that said Rebecca Romijn was going to be the new Ashley. LOL

I'm sure if Mal could actually make that happen he would.

• Love 3

They can’t recast Ashley!! Maybe Brenda Epperson but otherwise come on! 

We already have notBilly, this would be a disaster.

Ashley gets shit story anyways so why bother?

I hate Mal.

• Love 9
18 hours ago, miamama said:

Ashley gets shit story anyways so why bother?

In MY's vision, there can never be too many people attacking Jack.  The way that Ashley sneered and spat out venom at Jack was one of my least favorite things to watch.  When a different EP was in charge, I really enjoyed the Ashley/Jack loving sibling interaction.

• Love 14
2 hours ago, Tippi said:

In MY's vision, there can never be too many people attacking Jack.  The way that Ashley sneered and spat out venom at Jack was one of my least favorite things to watch.  When a different EP was in charge, I really enjoyed the Ashley/Jack loving sibling interaction.

I actually am beginning to wonder if Ashley isn’t behind messing with Jack’s paternity. That’s how stupid Mal is.

• Love 10
46 minutes ago, miamama said:

I actually am beginning to wonder if Ashley isn’t behind messing with Jack’s paternity. That’s how stupid Mal is.

I think so.  And I bet she's the one behind the JT sightings, too.  Phyllis said the video footage could be faked, Phyllis can never be wrong under Mal, Ashley has Ravi ......

• Love 8
On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎02 at 6:42 PM, boes said:

I think so.  And I bet she's the one behind the JT sightings, too.  Phyllis said the video footage could be faked, Phyllis can never be wrong under Mal, Ashley has Ravi ......

@boes, I agree; I thought it might be Nick, but it makes more sense now that we know ED is leaving, that it is her, dishing up a little payback for the way she was treated by both Prick and Vic. 

I have also thought it might be Drinki.

• Love 5
On 7/1/2018 at 9:16 AM, valleycliffe said:

isn't rebecca romijn too young to play 50 something ashley?

She'll be 46 in November, so yes, but they made Phyllis younger so who the hell knows.

• Love 3

LMAOOOO. My laughter is mainly about the Philly fans who were so “PRO-CHEATING!!!!” and are now ~so upset~ and calling for Mal’s firing. But what if it’s hawt, it’s all good, right???? 

• Love 16
On 7/2/2018 at 8:54 PM, miamama said:

I think so too and this is how she will leave. In shame.

13 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

LMAOOOO. My laughter is mainly about the Philly fans who were so “PRO-CHEATING!!!!” and are now ~so upset~ and calling for Mal’s firing. But what if it’s hawt, it’s all good, right???? 

And my laughter is about the shick fans who actually thought they were going to be good this time > I love this little twist. I didn't really see it coming. But if it causes Sharon any grief I am good to go.   Altho she did kick him out so not sure how that is cheating.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

Pro-cheating and pro-rewriting history and character. Now it’s all PHYLLIS WOULD NOT DO THIS! BILLY WOULD NOT DO THAT!!

Mal is actually doing a story about trust between a pair of vile cheaters tho???? I can’t.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, miamama said:

Pro-cheating and pro-rewriting history and character. Now it’s all PHYLLIS WOULD NOT DO THIS! BILLY WOULD NOT DO THAT!!

Mal is actually doing a story about trust between a pair of vile cheaters tho???? I can’t.

I saw someone say that Phick “makes no sense.” Um, and Philly does? 

• Love 14
9 hours ago, nilyank said:

I don't know why anyone would be surprised. 

Phyllis and Nick play video games and then have sex.

Isn't that the only two things that they did when they were together.

don't forget the pizza and beer....also, before sex, they would talk about sharon....she was their aphrodesiac

• Love 9
1 hour ago, valleycliffe said:

don't forget the pizza and beer....also, before sex, they would talk about sharon....she was their aphrodesiac

We KNOW this is going to happen.  Phyllis won't miss a chance to make some comment only she finds funny.

• Love 12
(edited)

While I cannot believe they are going back to the Phack well (wait - of course, I can), Nickduhlaus and Phyllass getting in on means the whole trope that Phyllis + Billy equals the greatest (and hottest) love that ever loved is as ridiculous as dumpster-lovin' Phyllas calling out Summer for hooking up with a married man and for that alone, I am like this right now:

tenor.gif?itemid=5578542

I also can't wait til Jack finds out.

Sharon...well, you lie down with a dog (or a gorilla), you're bound to get fleas.

Edited by CountryGirl
  • Love 17
On 7/19/2018 at 12:19 AM, nilyank said:

I don't know why anyone would be surprised. 

Absolutely. They talked, they drank, they played games and they had some hot sex. LOL I am loving it more than I thought I would. Watching the shick/philly fan gurls crying is way too fun. LOL

On 7/19/2018 at 8:33 AM, valleycliffe said:
On 7/18/2018 at 11:19 PM, nilyank said:

don't forget the pizza and beer....

Don't forget the line dancing.

On 7/18/2018 at 2:25 PM, HeatLifer said:

I saw someone say that Phick “makes no sense.” Um, and Philly does? 

They certainly make more sense than Philly, at least Phick were married before.

On 7/19/2018 at 8:33 AM, valleycliffe said:

before sex, they would talk about sharon....she was their aphrodesiac

Reminds me of Summer getting all flirty then has to interject whining about her "maum".

• Love 6

So new guy Rey is basically a new Ronan Malloy- law enforcement guy coming to town to solve a case, no doubt romance a single lady involved in the case (Victoria)  even as he's a tortured island whose life is his work, who will butt heads with Victor and be forced to work with Paul and Christine. Oh and he'll end up secretly related to someone in town.

Ronan was destroyed, Rey probably will too. 

• Love 5
12 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

So new guy Rey is basically a new Ronan Malloy- law enforcement guy coming to town to solve a case, no doubt romance a single lady involved in the case (Victoria)  even as he's a tortured island whose life is his work, who will butt heads with Victor and be forced to work with Paul and Christine. Oh and he'll end up secretly related to someone in town.

Ronan was destroyed, Rey probably will too. 

He's related to Arturo.

• Love 4

i really liked who ronan was supposed to be when he first appeared in gc....

LOVED he was really nina's firstborn who was stolen from her....i so wanted lots of scenes of them getting to know each other and him meeting his sibling....

loved he was a "by the book" fbi agent....

and then phyl entered the picture and destroyed his character. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

He's related to Arturo.

Oh, yeah, totally forgot, LOL. Well he definitely has a cover for being in town if he's visiting family.

2 hours ago, valleycliffe said:

i really liked who ronan was supposed to be when he first appeared in gc....

LOVED he was really nina's firstborn who was stolen from her....i so wanted lots of scenes of them getting to know each other and him meeting his sibling....

loved he was a "by the book" fbi agent....

and then phyl entered the picture and destroyed his character. 

I loved everything about Ronan except his inexplicable flirtation and then affair with Phyllis. I thought he would've made a better match with Avery. Diligent Detective and Crusader Lawyer? That could've been dynamite.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

I loved everything about Ronan except his inexplicable flirtation and then affair with Phyllis. I thought he would've made a better match with Avery. Diligent Detective and Crusader Lawyer? That could've been dynamite

Me too. I really liked the actor and especially loved his scenes with Nina. Would have loved to have seen more of them getting to know each other. Instead we got him losing his mind over Phyllis which was completely out of character for him. He had been an honest and by the book law enforcement officer and suddenly he was throwing that all away for his love of Phyllis. ?? UGH. Such a waste of what could have been a good addition to the cast especially since he wasn't related to any of the Abbotts or Newmans.

• Love 11
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I wanted to like him but there was something Dylanish about him. And that iteration of Nina was so dour.

I didn't even want to like him.  The actor grated - nah, too nice, I hated him on AMC and he was even worse on Y+R.  Jeff "can I make my voice even lower" Branson, not a fan.

Even worse though, they had a potentially great story of Nina's long lost son and then messed it up so badly.

• Love 8
4 hours ago, boes said:

I didn't even want to like him.  The actor grated - nah, too nice, I hated him on AMC and he was even worse on Y+R.  Jeff "can I make my voice even lower" Branson, not a fan.

Even worse though, they had a potentially great story of Nina's long lost son and then messed it up so badly.

Tell me - When haven't they flucked up a good possible story line or really good actors they brought in only to write garbage for them in service to a few primadonnas. Maura West? Other actors who were legendary were treated shamefully. Actors who single handedly won the show's emmys two years in a row and got fired  

Actors must really need the work to enter this nest.

• Love 6

Interview with Jordi Vilasuso from Michael Fairman's site.....

Jordi Vilasuso Previews His New Role Of Rey On The Young and the Restless

He’s played a young man growing up in a Mafioso family, a well-respected doctor, and a brother with a questionable past and future during his daytime career, but now Jordi Vilasuso takes on a mysterious new role on the top-rated The Young and the Restless, who we only know thus far by the name of “Rey”.

When Vilasuso debuts on tomorrow’s Friday, August 16th episode of the CBS daytime drama series, viewers will start to see just how his new character unveils itself, while we get to see one of our favorites back in action.

From his roles on Guiding Light, All My Children, Days of our Lives and his primetime and movie roles, Jordi brings his unique charm, acting chops, and sex-appeal to every role he plays.

Michael Fairman TV chatted it up with Jordi for this tease of what’s to come when he hits Genoa City, what it has been like working with his new co-stars, nabbing this sought-after role, and reflecting back on the journey that got him here.  Check out what he shared below.

When the news broke that you were coming to Y&R, fans of the genre were really excited.  I thought it was a great testament to you.

JORDI:  It’s great.  I mean, the way that the show has announced me and has been pushing me… from the promo that was just released this week, to my discussions with Mal Young ((EP and head writer, Y&R).  Everybody has just been asking me if I’m good, and the network is really responding to my work.  Because, you never know, right?  You put it out there, but when you get that feedback, it’s like, “Okay.  I’m doing the right thing here.”  There’s been a lot of reassurance, which is always great for people to get in a workplace.

Do you feel pressure now to deliver to Mal and to the audience?

JORDI:  Of course.  I always do.  What do they say?  Innocence is bliss?  Naiveté is bliss?  I didn’t know what the hell I was doing when I first walked on to Guiding Light!  It’s such a great place to be in as a young kid.  I was just like, “I’m an actor.  I’m going to create a character…”

And you won an Emmy!

JORDI:  And I won an Emmy … and then it’s “I’m going to go be a star, and I’m going to be in a pilot.”  I signed with a huge agency, and it was fantastic, and then reality sets in.  You get a couple of notches on your belt, and you get kicked in the ass a bit.  You learn, and then you crawl out of there, and you gain a lot of character doing that.  Really, in the last couple of years I’ve seen there are reasons for all of this stuff.  The lens that I’m looking through now is that of a father.  I just want to give them tools that can help them deal with life.  If they want to become actors, awesome.  Go for it.  I will support them.  Whatever it is they want to do, there are going to be ups and downs, and that’s all part of the journey.  For me, I think God has been molding me into the kind of man that I’ve always aspired to be.  .

From the Y&R promo this week, it looks like Rey is looking into what happened to J.T. (Thad Luckinbill)? 

JORDI:  Yes.  That has been revealed in the promo.  Rey is getting to know the heavyweights in town, and asking a lot of questions.

Speaking of heavyweights, what was it like working with Eric Braeden (Victor, Y&R) for the first time?

JORDI:  It was cool.  There was a little bit of that being in “awe” of him.  I never worked with him, but I always saw him on the cover of magazines.  I heard he’s very warm and open with other actors, which I got.  Playing with him on set, he kind of goes off the page a bit, which is fun.  After talking to him for about a minute, I felt like, “Okay, I get who this guy is.”  He’s very professional.

Will your new character be connected to anyone in Genoa City?

JORDI:  You never know.  It’s a soap!

I would assume if you’re on the number one soap, Rey might have a lover interest.  Who would you like to be in a romantic story with, if they should write it?

JORDI:  All of the women! (Laughs)  All of them have so much to offer from Tracy E. Bregman (Lauren), to Sharon Case (Sharon), to Melissa Ordway (Abby).  I know I may be a little bit cryptic, but I have to say, everybody has been extremely lovely to work with.

What can you say about the character in a broad stroke?

JORDI:  I think Rey knows what he wants.   He is very serious about his work, and he has a lot of ways of working through different situations.  Whether it’s a smile or knowing something about you that you may have not known… he may bring you into his orbit in that way.

He’s a mind reader!?  (Laughs) 

JORDI:  He can really read people, I think!  He’s very adaptable.  He can be put in any situation and have a conversation with anyone.  From Victor Newman, to Sharon, to Michael… he can talk to whoever is thought of as having the most status.  He has that knack.

Is Rey street smart, or intelligent smart?

JORDI:  I would say both.  I think Rey grew up very quickly, and I think a lot of that is street smart.  I wouldn’t say he is an intellectual philosopher.  I would say he leans more towards street smart for sure.

Were you informed on what the long term trajectory of your storyline would be on Y&R? Other actors on the show have talked about how Mal Young tells them where the character is going, so it better prepares them when they are doing their scenes.

JORDI:  Yes.  I found out on a Tuesday that I got the job, and I was asked to come in on Wednesday to wardrobe, and start work on Thursday, and I did four shows that week.  I sat down with Mal for an hour.  I had only met him at the screentest and there were a lot of heavyweights there up for this part.  He told me about his history, where Rey came from.  He showed me what he was doing on the show, how he was trying to change things, and some really exciting things that he was doing.  Mal was an open book, and then he did break down what he saw as the next couple of months for my character would be, which I fell in love with. I was like, “Yes! This is so cool.  This is a meaty story.  This has roots in a lot of things that I can pull from, that I am passionate about, and that are meaningful   I felt in a sense, that it was collaborative.  Even though he is steering the ship, he was interested in what I had to say as well and very open to questions.

How does Rey stack up against your other daytime characters: GL’s Tony Santos, DAYS Dario, and AMC’s Griffin?

JORDI:  Man, it’s so funny, because somebody actually had sent me some clips of Tony the other day, and I was like, “Oh my God, that was crazy long ago!  Look at the clothes!  It was so mafioso,” but it was so cool and so fun.  There only will ever be one Tony Santos.  Then you go to Griffin Castillo who was a doctor and just starting to open up to Kendall (Alicia Minshew) and get that whole romance kicking on All My Children.  And as for DAYS Dario… God bless Dario … that poor guy.  What can I tell you about Dario?  He just couldn’t seem to make it work in Salem.  He couldn’t find his way, so he said, “You know what?  I’m going to run away!”  So, he just ran away, and who knows maybe he’s in Mexico running from the law, where I guess he resides now.

You were recently at the All My Children and One Life to Live reunion event.   What did the fans say when you got to inform them that you were coming on to The Young and the Restless?

JORDI:  They were so happy for me.  There was a lot of joy and a lot of happiness.  That was the one thing that I got from it.  I think they get what the business that we are in, which I really appreciate.  It’s such a hustle.  You wait for that other gig to come down, and when you get it, it’s a great moment to share.  They get it.  A lot of that empathy was shared from the fans, and I really, really appreciated that.

Your former AMC co-star Rebecca Budig (Ex-Greenlee) was there, too.  How was it seeing her again?

JORDI: I did see her, but just for a second!  I think she was so caught up with seeing everyone. She’s beautiful!  She hasn’t aged.

When do you think viewers will know what Rey is up to in Genoa City?

JORDI:  Sooner rather than later.  We have very good pacing for his entry on to the canvas.

We are wondering if Rey might be an adversary to Nick.  Did you know Joshua Morrow (Nick Newman) before you came to Y&R?

JORDI: I wonder of Rey and Nick will be nemeses too!  But no, I didn’t know Joshua.   He’s such a dude’s dude.  From the get go, he said, “Do not look at me when you’re on set, and are you ready for my breakfast order?”  (Laughs)  I kind of bowed down and said, “You know, you’ve been on this show for twenty years.  Are you a vegetarian, or can I throw some ham in your omelet?”  (Laughs)

Edited by boes
speelink
  • Love 4