Type keyword(s) to search

Season One Talk: Wolves And Cougars And Bears, Oh My!

• Start Topic

And then there were two. I'm shocked that Sam is still hanging in there while Lucas and Mitch tapped out. (Sob!) Come on, Alan. You can do it!

But you know what would suck? To last all this time and come in second. To have the people on the rescue boat say, "Well, great job. There's only one guy still out there." Yeah. That would suck.

• Love 6

I want Sam to win. I think he has a good attitude, especially for a young man. I liked it when he said that some days it won't be sunshine and rainbows.

I want Sam to win. I think he has a good attitude, especially for a young man. I liked it when he said that some days it won't be sunshine and rainbows.

• Love 1

Wow, Mitch. His mom is dying of brain cancer and we find out about it on Day 42?  Picture any other reality show. Any one. They're all hosted or narrated. Imagine say, Jeff Probst, and how he would deal with Mitch as a Survivor contestant.  It wouldn't be pretty. And we'd know about it from Day 1. Actually, probably on the press junket before day 1. This show continues to amaze me.

ETA: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Not Lucas!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 6

Wow. I was shocked. I'll add my voice: Noooooooooooo!

I'm impressed with Alan and Sam, though. Their no-quit attitudes are awesome.

I hope Mitch took his sea otter pelt with him. That was uber cool. I can't believe we didn't hear about his mom earlier. I hope she's holding on.

The weather up there is just awful. The temps by themselves aren't killer, but when you add rain and high winds. Wow. I'm amazed they make it out of their shelters.

• Love 3

I have been thinking that it would be Alan & Lucas because they have featured them so much in the last 2-3 episodes. So when Lucas tapped, I thought, I predicted it. So when they started focusing on Mitch, I had a bad feeling. I imagine that he had not been taping much, otherwise why did they not show him so much in the last 3 episodes? He seemed fine before he started talking about his mom. When he found the seal, he seemed in really good spirits. He wasn't shown talking about food either, maybe he was eating ok? I would really like to know that answer to that. I hope he got to see his mom. While I know that her situation is terminal, I hope that he wasn't too late. He was "lovely". I wish him, & his family (& cute daughter) all the best. 

• Love 4

Team Alan all the way! I love how he is keeping his sense of humor. Funny that Lucas had the best shelter and a canoe and still tapped out. I don't know why mopey Mitch would even go on the show when his mom was dying of cancer.

I hope on the next season that they will place them somewhere where the weather isn't so horrid.

• Love 6

Do we have the oldest and the youngest left now?  I can't remember if any of the other guys were older than 40.  I've been pulling for Alan all the way and I was really worried when he was talking about feeling ill.  I hope he can hang in there.  I wonder how he's keeping his hair trimmed.  It seems like it should be much longer after 40+ days.

mlp - I was just about to post the same thing about the ages of the remaining guys. I think these two are the youngest (22) and oldest (40) of the contestants. So which will win out? The naivete and enthusiasm of youth or the wisdom and patience of an "elder"? When there were 4 survivors left I felt they'd all done a great job and I would be happy for any of them to win. Can't believe it came down to Sam and Alan. Think I'll have to go with Alan because of his constant positive attitude and resourcefulness.

• Love 2

Wow, what a twist! I thought one of Lucas and Mitch would be in the top 2. I knew one of them would tap out, but I didn't think both. Lucas seemed to be thriving physically but he was just way too "in his head." Who knows how Mitch was doing, thanks, editing. I mean, really. We don't even know what the hell he was eating. Can't believe he kept that "my mom has terminal cancer" stuff bottled up for so long. I can't imagine the anxiety he felt. When you get anxious like that, you just need to get out. Don't blame him. But I wished he'd won the money.

Alan is doing much better physically than Sam, but I don't think he has the "I NEED to stick this out" attitude that Sam does. Look at what Sam's already had to overcome. It's amazing how positive he has stayed. Alan has been pretty positive too but he also gets huge meals every few days, thanks to his superior skills. Alan is cold; Sam is hungry. I wonder which will become more powerful a deterrent. Either one could win and I'd be happy. May the best man win! :)

Is anyone else just excited to see how long they last? I'm just dying to know. My guess is 2 months.

Re: the oldest/youngest thing, I think the age range was 22 to 47. So Sam is definitely the youngest, but there was an early tapper who was older than Alan.

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 2

The issue with the self taping is that the guys could choose when to tape. I am sure Mitch had many a conversation with himself regarding his Mom's health but that he didn't tape them. I think he might have finally taped it because he knew he was taping out and that he had to share why he was taping out.

Lucas was pretty comfortable sharing all of his ups and downs. I get the feeling that he saw the cameras as a journal and asked for all of the tape so that he can look back on the experience. I think he was set the best for long term survivla, knew it, and then decided he had done the work he really needed to do in facing head on some of his life choices and said it was time to move on. I honestly think Lucas can say that if he wanted to stay out there he would have outlasted everyone but the motivation to stay out there was gone so he left. The money might have been his initial motivation to go on the show but the interspection ended up being the prize that he needed.

Sam and Alan are interesting to me. They are surviving but not thriving. Alan has a great attitude and is funny but his survival set up is shaky. He is out there for the money, nothing wrong with that, and so keeps hanging on but he has done little to make his life comfrotable. Take his attitude and combine it with Lucas's shelter and boat and life would be really interesting.

Sam is hanging on but again, not really thriving. He still is avoiding using the ocean. He is trying to hunt in an area where he knows he will have little success over harvesting clams and the like. It makes little sense to me.

In the end, I am disappointed as a viewer because the two people who actually seemed to be more interested in the land and figuring out how to work with the land tapped last night. Mitch and Lucas had their moments of intraspection and the like but they both were clearly tuned into the land they were living. They built rafts, found water, figured out the food. It was almost like when they both knew they could survive they decided they were done. Alan and Sam have not reached that same symbiotic with the land moment. It feels like they fighting the land and that there is not as much joy in the smaller moments. I think that it is clear that the money was more of a driver for Alan and Sam then it was for Lucas and Mitch.

Let me be clear, Lucas and Mitch would have been happy with the money but I think they got to a point that they knew they could survive a really long time and decided that they didn't need to because there were other things in life more important then the money and they wanted to get  back to the people they loved. Mitch wanted the time with his Mom before she died from brain cancer. Lucas sounded like he had some relationships to mend.

That is not to say that Alan and Sam don't have real world life things to deal with but that they weigh on them differently. Sam has a new baby and $500,000 will go a long way in providing financial stability for a new family. Alan has his family. We have not seen any footage of massive life issues that they are struggling with while Lucas was a walking crying machine facing past bad decisions and Mitch was worried about his Mom. Given the footage we have seen from Alan, I think we would know if his Mom had brain cancer and Sam has discussed the baby and missing what he is missing.

• Love 4
Let me be clear, Lucas and Mitch would have been happy with the money but I think they got to a point that they knew they could survive a really long time and decided that they didn't need to because there were other things in life more important then the money and they wanted to get  back to the people they loved. Mitch wanted the time with his Mom before she died from brain cancer. Lucas sounded like he had some relationships to mend.

That is not to say that Alan and Sam don't have real world life things to deal with but that they weigh on them differently. Sam has a new baby and $500,000 will go a long way in providing financial stability for a new family. Alan has his family. We have not seen any footage of massive life issues that they are struggling with while Lucas was a walking crying machine facing past bad decisions and Mitch was worried about his Mom. Given the footage we have seen from Alan, I think we would know if his Mom had brain cancer and Sam has discussed the baby and missing what he is missing.

Good point.  I think Lucas was in it for the money in the beginning, but I think as soon as he proved to himself that he could survive, he then realized the money wasn't important (and we all know that they won't get the entire 500k, more like 280k) and decided to tap out.  I can see Lucas opening up a survival school, or wilderness training; I thought he had the best shelter and best everything of all of them on this show.  

I like Sam because I get an "old soul" vibe from him; he reminds me of a young guy I met who loved 70's music and wasn't really in tune to what people his generation were into.  And I probably like Sam because of an article I just read in Vanity Fair about these twenty somethings hooking up via Tinder.  To me, Sam seems more mature than most twenty something, heck, than most thirty somethings I know; married with a baby on the way and trying to survive in the wild, wow.

• Love 3

The issue with the self taping is that the guys could choose when to tape. I am sure Mitch had many a conversation with himself regarding his Mom's health but that he didn't tape them. I think he might have finally taped it because he knew he was taping out and that he had to share why he was taping out.

Lucas was pretty comfortable sharing all of his ups and downs. I get the feeling that he saw the cameras as a journal and asked for all of the tape so that he can look back on the experience. I think he was set the best for long term survivla, knew it, and then decided he had done the work he really needed to do in facing head on some of his life choices and said it was time to move on. I honestly think Lucas can say that if he wanted to stay out there he would have outlasted everyone but the motivation to stay out there was gone so he left. The money might have been his initial motivation to go on the show but the interspection ended up being the prize that he needed.

Sam and Alan are interesting to me. They are surviving but not thriving. Alan has a great attitude and is funny but his survival set up is shaky. He is out there for the money, nothing wrong with that, and so keeps hanging on but he has done little to make his life comfrotable. Take his attitude and combine it with Lucas's shelter and boat and life would be really interesting.

Sam is hanging on but again, not really thriving. He still is avoiding using the ocean. He is trying to hunt in an area where he knows he will have little success over harvesting clams and the like. It makes little sense to me.

In the end, I am disappointed as a viewer because the two people who actually seemed to be more interested in the land and figuring out how to work with the land tapped last night. Mitch and Lucas had their moments of intraspection and the like but they both were clearly tuned into the land they were living. They built rafts, found water, figured out the food. It was almost like when they both knew they could survive they decided they were done. Alan and Sam have not reached that same symbiotic with the land moment. It feels like they fighting the land and that there is not as much joy in the smaller moments. I think that it is clear that the money was more of a driver for Alan and Sam then it was for Lucas and Mitch.

I agree with a lot of this. I think that Mitch is more introspective and not as extroverted as maybe the other three. I have commented previously regarding Lucas' behavior being bipolary and that he would probably tap on one of the down times, which appears to be somewhat accurate. (not saying he has bipolar, but definitely has pretty overt mood swings, bursts of creative energy and then real low, lows.  His crying was quite intense and that makes sense to me, as this speaks to his personality). Just like Mitch's reactions are in line with his personality too. He tends to be more introspective and definitely a thinker. Doesn't make for as exciting videos (although Mitch did have some of the early firsts, first "boat", first fish, he and Alan both had fire on day 2-before everyone else).  I don't think that Mitch was "mopey" as he was described in another post. Introverts struggle to be heard and seen in the extroverted world, but that does not mean that their approach is any less important. I felt like his reactions were very real, but he was very aware that he was filming himself and I don't think that he wanted to let go in in front of the camera (like Lucas does). That is just not him. I would say that Lucas and Mitch have more similarities in how they approached the challenge than some of the others. They both moved camps, their spiritual approach to the earth. I was particularly moved by Mitch's quiet talks about how the land rejects people or situations. He seemed a little sad and ambivalent as to whether he felt like he had not achieved oneness with the land and was being rejected by it, OR if he felt the oneness and was sad because he was tapping out (due to breaking a promise to his mom-after all she said "stay") before he had reached a physical limit where he just couldn't go further. I just like him so much (reminds of an old boyfriend from that area so there is the transference! :) ). I will have to check his website to see if there is anymore info on his experience or his mom. 

I think that Alan deserves to win over Sam if I were weighing this on actually doing things out there. But, I suppose if Lucas or Mitch were still in it, I would have a different opinion. Is anyone doing a poll on who will win and the days?  I originally said 45 days, but I think that they may go past that now. They are really close to that. 

Edited to add: This article from the BostonGlobe helps to explain a bit about Mitch in more detail: https://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/2015/06/17/surviving-lonely-task-for-mass-man-new-reality-show/IcncnJsGavbyv8USlimmCK/story.html     

Appears that he has no TV and was recruited for the show. Based on his Facebook page, he has not posted anything personal at all and has made almost no comments about anything on the show. It seems that during last night's show, he was actually teaching a survival camp that he runs. It appears that he didn't even watch it.  Interesting. Like I suspected, the technology is actually something that he tries to get away from and that was probably a big issue for him, being so private and closed off like he is. 

Edited by riverheightsnancy
  • Love 3

I was not surprised by Lucas tapping out, given that I've been seeing a bit of that "I realize that I can survive out here now, which is what I wanted out of this" type attitude in some of his previous vids, but I'm heart-broken that Lovely Mitch also tapped out.  Though I completely understand why.  You can never get back the moments you miss when someone is dying.  I wonder why, though, we never even got a hint of this huge life changing event before now.  We all know about Sam's soon-to-be-born baby. Maybe Mitch just wanted to not have the audience dwelling on his mom, or maybe he's just very inflective that way - holding inside the things that affect him most?  I do wish him and his family the best during this time.  He was a lovely contestant indeed.

I like Sam, but I really want Alan to win.  Alan is just made of the best stuff, and his face-making is hilarious!  I'd watch a show hosted by him for sure, ala Man vs Wild or Survivorman.  I love his attitude.

• Love 3

Another way to read Alan is that he knows and knew he could survive these elements. He also made the decision not to just quit. His comments at the end of the show explain why he is staying. He doesn't quit. He is doing much better than Sam - A mouse a day? It looks like he hasn't even changed his traps to be more efficient.

With so much time on their hands, wasn't there a possibility for Mitch and Sam to make a net from tree fiber and vines? Natives did not "buy" nets but made their own.

Personally I think Mitch was wrong to even go with the cancer his Mom had, if the story is true. I'm having a tough time with that story line. Odd how it only came up at the last episode he was on.

• Love 3

Alan has been far more entertaining to watch and I would like him to win for that reason. And Alan has been more versitile in his approach.

Sam winning would be great for his very young family. That is not to say that Alan's family couldn't use the money but as the mother of a three year old, I can more closely identify with Sam's financial position right now.

Great article about Mitch. That does fit the person we watched on the show. Hopefully the show drives a bunch of business his way.

• Love 2

It was interesting to see how the isolation created a situation where the remaining contestants minds seemed to focus on specific personal interactions.  Mitch, his relationship with his mother; Lucas, his past relationships; Alan, personally accomplished all goals; Sam, sick of the weather.  It was as if Mitch and Lucas needed a specific reason to return to society, and not several reasons.

It certainly could have been the editing, but they had to say to tape it.  Demonstrates the value of human interaction in daily life.

• Love 2

I don't fault any of the ten men for tapping out.  I think that the average person probably could only stay out there for a few days, at the most.  Today we have so much stimulation: computers, telephone, books, TV, radio, music; these guys didn't even have books to read.  Even if a person is solitary they do have access to some type of stimulation or interaction.  Without stimulation or human contact people go into their heads, start thinking about all the mistakes they made, how their lives have worked out or not.  

On "Naked and Afraid" no one is alone; they have their partner and there's a camera crew filming them; even with all that there have been people who tapped out when their partner left.  Also there is a lot of luck when it comes to survival too; to reference "Naked and Afraid" again, one pair made it past two weeks.  They were on a beach and when they got there it was very hot; then it started to rain and rain and rain and they hadn't gathered enough wood for a fire; so after their fire went out and the temperature was like 45 degrees, both of them tapped out.  

• Love 3

I don't know, Josh-the cop- the first guy who tapped out, stated on the inside show (the one where they talked a little bit to all the tap-outs) that he mentally quit with about a few minutes of being dropped off. Now, perhaps, the producers may have picked a few people specifically because they were not as skilled as some of the other contestants and would tap out early (maybe not that early though!). I know that Mitch was recruited and skilled.  I don't know about Sam, Alan, or Lucas, but Alan and Lucas seem very skilled. Sam is definitely skilled in most things but fishing. Joe showed a lot of skill but lost his ferro rod. Brant was skilled in a specific type of environment, but did not make the right choices for his current environment. Personally, I have no skills for hunting or camping , and I guarantee that I could last longer than tap-outs 1 and 2. I have been in a crap marriage for 18 years, I KNOW I could last longer than 2 days (I have already done it! ;) ). Maybe until day 3, but that is with no camping skills at all!  

Questions for Cooksdelight if she gets to interview Alan: 

1) Did they actually KNOW where they would be going before they left their homes, or before they signed on to do the show, or when they got plane tickets, when they arrived? When, when did they find out? Mitch stated in his Boston Globe interview that he didn't know about the vegetation and what was ok to eat in BC. That infers that he didn't know before he left (because as a skilled outdoorsman, I think that he would have researched it-makes sense right?) We also saw Joe wear a jacket that was not waterproof and he got soaked. So I wonder, how much info they had about exactly where they were going before they left their homes. 

2) We know that they received some training or prep before they were put out into their "sites", how much, what did they exactly get to know? 

3) How often did production visit for the "well checks". Did they talk to these people? That is human interaction. Did they look forward to it? Did it help or hurt them mentally. While I realize why they did these, I wish the show had been more transparent about it. It makes it seem like a secret and blows the concept of "Alone" and they seem to have been so honest about how the show worked, which is refreshing overt change compared to the manipulation on most reality shows. 

4) How many were actively recruited?

5) Were there really no predators in the last few weeks of the final four? Seems that they never mention it now, like it is not even an issue. Mitch mentions a little bit about it in his article. 

6) Sam alluded that there were no squirrels and other small game. Why? Do all of the larger animals eat them? Since this is an island, and possibly low on some types of foods, wouldn't the cougars, bears, and wolves be more hungry and dangerous to humans?

That's all I have for now. :)

• Love 3

This week's episode was just fantastic. I loved the way the show juxtaposed the two guys talking themselves into going home against the two guys who talked themselves out of it. Really, really terrific editing.

I know Lucas and Mitch will say that they could have stayed out there longer (or forever), but I think that totally ignores the psychological component. Those guys lasted as long as they mentally could, and no longer.

Nothing to be ashamed of, mind you. The last four are incredibly impressive, tenacious individuals.

• Love 5

Jeff Probst has been trying to put together a celebrity Survivor, but no one will bite. And that's a show where you are constantly surrounded by people 24/7 and you get fed well. They'd never go for this.

Well.... James Spader might.

Good thing, because I personally have zero interest in any "celebrity" shows. Once that happens to a show that originally starts with ordinary people, it's all downhill, AFAIC. The fact that they are ordinary is a major component in my enjoyment of a reality show.

• Love 2

I hope Mitch took his sea otter pelt with him. That was uber cool. I can't believe we didn't hear about his mom earlier. I hope she's holding on.

Actually, I was surprised that Mitch even took th time to skin the sea otter. He didn't even appear to scrape the hide and get all the gunk off of it, important to preservation. Plus, he couldn't salt it. (Got this from watching Mountain Men, lol). It probably stunk, and he left it there. Also, why did he leave it to dry right NEXT to his tent? Surefire way to attract critters.

• Love 3

A couple of program notes: My TV listings now have the "After the Rescue" show listed as Alone - Episode 8, so that's how the mis-numbering of episodes has been resolved. The season (?) finale, "Triumph" will be episode 11.  Also, the Inside Look for last Thursday's episode, "Brokedown Palace" will be aired on Monday night rather than Sunday night. Lastly, the Inside Look for the finale will air immediately after it on Thursday night.

Regarding the psychological effects of isolation, one of the early tappers-out (can't remember who) told the rescuers that one of the things that made it worse was having to record the video journal. The rescuer replied "We thought that would make it better". Interesting. 

• Love 1

I live alone and talk to my pets all the time, when I am at home (I don't talk to myself in public, LOL) I would enjoy the aspect of the video journal. I think I'd be the female version of Alan.... goofy faces, stories, crazy recipes with whatever I found out there to eat.

• Love 3

Regarding the psychological effects of isolation, one of the early tappers-out (can't remember who) told the rescuers that one of the things that made it worse was having to record the video journal. The rescuer replied "We thought that would make it better". Interesting. 

That was Brant, and I was surprised to hear that too! The video journal aspect would be right up my alley. But it would be awkward to know that some of it (beyond my control what exactly is shown) will be on national TV.

• Love 1

I think a lot (well, most) of these guys are just doers and problem-solvers, and are not the kind of people to just sit and reflect. It's telling that 3 of the final four (I'd leave out Sam) appear to be the most naturally introspective.

• Love 4
5) Were there really no predators in the last few weeks of the final four? Seems that they never mention it now, like it is not even an issue. Mitch mentions a little bit about it in his article.

6) Sam alluded that there were no squirrels and other small game. Why? Do all of the larger animals eat them? Since this is an island, and possibly low on some types of foods, wouldn't the cougars, bears, and wolves be more hungry and dangerous to humans?

I was always told that the bears hibernate in the winter, as do most of the small animals.  Cougars are cats, and as such spend a lot of their time in the winter holed up in their dens.  When it is cold and damp it takes a lot of energy to hunt stuff to eat, and they are better served to just stay home and sleep.  If they've managed to eat enough during the fall, they can live for quite a while between meals.  Much like the 4 guys that were left, stay in bed, don't do anything, preserve your energy. 

There aren't really a lot of squirrels on the north end of the island, just some small chipmunky types, that aren't chipmunks.  It amazed me how noisy the woods up in Quesnel are, with the squirrels and all chirping and squeaking at you constantly.  The Island woods are relatively quiet.  There are weasels, martens, otters, rats, muskrats and racoons though.  I have never seen a rabbit on the north end, just down south around Victoria.  And they are from escaped or abandoned pets, not native to the island.  There are a lot of mallards, grouse and birdlife around as well that are quite tasty.

I can't really say how true this is, its just what my parents told me growing up, and as I never got eaten out in the bush, I tend to believe it.

• Love 1

I've just been getting into the show. Sam has lasted far longer than I thought he would. I can understand the Alan love, but part of me is pulling for Sam, also.

I responded to the second show casting, and got a response that they've fully cast the season. They need some women on the show, one way or another.

I give all the guys props, though, except for the first two tapouts. Really? Can't leave the house without a gun? That's just sad.

• Love 3
Wow, Mitch. His mom is dying of brain cancer and we find out about it on Day 42?  Picture any other reality show. Any one. They're all hosted or narrated. Imagine say, Jeff Probst, and how he would deal with Mitch as a Survivor contestant.  It wouldn't be pretty. And we'd know about it from Day 1. Actually, probably on the press junket before day 1. This show continues to amaze me.

I was shocked we were just now hearing about it as well. I imagine he was able to compartmentalize and not think about it for awhile, but after so long of living an isolated life, you just can't run from shit. It appeared to hit him full force, all at once. I totally respect him for tapping out. I hope he got some more time with his mom!

I did have to wonder why he even went out there in the first place. Perhaps he was already cast when they found out. Like it happened right before he left, and mom insisted he go?

I live alone and talk to my pets all the time, when I am at home (I don't talk to myself in public, LOL) I would enjoy the aspect of the video journal. I think I'd be the female version of Alan.... goofy faces, stories, crazy recipes with whatever I found out there to eat.

I think I'd be a mix of Alan and Lucas. I live with a husband, three kids, and a dog - and I STILL talk aloud all the time. To myself, to inanimate objects, etc. I make everything into a song and am just a super goofy person. But I also cry a lot. Frustration and anger make me cry. I can totally see myself having a hard time, breaking down, then getting over it and getting back to business - just like Lucas. 

This show best exemplifies the psychological beatdown people take when they are suddenly thrust into total isolation. There is no other reality show like it.

No, there isn't. And what one might have anticipated as slow or boring, has turned out to be one of the most compelling shows I've ever seen. I don't know if it's genius editing or the fact that they just picked some very interesting people, or both - but it all works. 

Alan has a great attitude and is funny but his survival set up is shaky. He is out there for the money, nothing wrong with that, and so keeps hanging on but he has done little to make his life comfrotable.

I don't know. I get the feeling that with the final guys that were left, it ceased being about money long ago. I think Alan was enjoying seeing if he could do it for awhile, his fish traps were pretty darn cool. But I think the cold paralyzed him, and he's stopped trying to improve his situation since then. At this point, I don't think Alan is hanging on for the money, at least not as the major reason. I see him being still out there as sheer stubbornness. He just strikes me as one of those people who refuses to quit, no matter what. 

• Love 3

I did have to wonder why he even went out there in the first place. Perhaps he was already cast when they found out. Like it happened right before he left, and mom insisted he go?

Yes, I am pretty sure from what I read that is how it went and his mom made him promise to go and not to quit because of her. As a mom, I think that I would probably feel the same way if my kid was getting ready for something really awesome and cool and then I got some type of illness. What was working on him was the fact that the brain cancer came on suddenly and they said that she might have a year or a few months. He reached about the 40-something day and that is when, I think he started to get worried that he didn't know anything.  It can really eat at you. Maybe this is why he didn't (seemingly) tap too much at the end, which is why we didn't see anything about him in the last few episodes, is because he was just worrying and ruminating on this issue. Mitch has not posted anything (last I looked) about his mom on his Facebook (it is more for his business though). He seems to be really private and plans on keeping it that way. I do hope that he attends the after show and we hear a little more about this and what he was thinking. 

• Love 3

Actually, I was surprised that Mitch even took th time to skin the sea otter. He didn't even appear to scrape the hide and get all the gunk off of it, important to preservation. Plus, he couldn't salt it. (Got this from watching Mountain Men, lol). It probably stunk, and he left it there. Also, why did he leave it to dry right NEXT to his tent? Surefire way to attract critters.

He had a general lackadaisical attitude about attracting animals to his sleeping area. Like the spread open roasting fish he lured that first cat back to his tent with. Funny because he was so knowledgeable about so many other survival skills.

• Love 2

He had a general lackadaisical attitude about attracting animals to his sleeping area. Like the spread open roasting fish he lured that first cat back to his tent with. Funny because he was so knowledgeable about so many other survival skills.

Agree, to the degree that I wonder if it's intentional. He mentioned in that interview above that he eats large predators. Perhaps he was hoping he could lure one and kill/eat it? It would have been nice if he'd mentioned that, though, so that we didn't all think he was crazy ;)

• Love 1

Agree, to the degree that I wonder if it's intentional. He mentioned in that interview above that he eats large predators. Perhaps he was hoping he could lure one and kill/eat it? It would have been nice if he'd mentioned that, though, so that we didn't all think he was crazy ;)

I hope they ask him about that. He did mention something about it in the Boston Globe article I linked to a while back. He said that the ground was so soft that you cannot hear the "cats" when they jump or land. I don't see how it is any different than what Lucas did though. He was cooking inside the Yurt thing as well. Is that inherently safer? Sam cooks in his shelter too, but will the cougars come for a mouse? It might be too little food for them to bother. 

And all of the above musings will be meaningless if Sam is the ultimate winner!  :)

The thing I keep thinking about at this point, after 40 days with no shower or soap, both guys must be pretty ripe. :) That might be enough to keep critters away.

Having gone through Army basic training with a mid 20's female who refused to shower in the communal bathroom I can promise you that after 15 days

the aroma is pungent!!  The platoon eventually took care of her shower problem....but that is another story.  LOL

I'm so glad that other people like this show as much as I do. It's the only forum I've started on PTV that's had more than a handful of posts. It's nice to know you're not a complete outlier all the time.

There's a good chance I won't watch the finale live. It's kind of like the finale of The Amazing Race every season, the stress of rooting for someone and not knowing if they win or lose is too great. So I record it, come here to read the posts and then decide whether or not to watch.

• Love 3

I know we saw someone washing their clothes and taking a dip on a sunny day (their butt was blurred, heh). So it would not necessarily be no bath for 40 days. And that would be someone who filmed themselves, not everyone would do that. 

I know we saw someone washing their clothes and taking a dip on a sunny day (their butt was blurred, heh). So it would not necessarily be no bath for 40 days. And that would be someone who filmed themselves, not everyone would do that. 

Positive that was Alan. Lucas took sponge baths in his hut with heated water. I think someone else was shown bathing, but I cannot remember who. I know Mitch crossed the water in his undies on his boat contraption. Don't ask me why I remember all these nakkid shots though! 

• Love 7

Hey guys, I was poking around to see if there was any more info on Mitch and his mom and found some extended scenes from the show. They are hosted on YouTube and on the History channel site (I guess if you sign up). Joe (the guy who tapped because he lost the ferro rod) has a long video about what happened and things that they could take or not take with them (not a History channel official video), but some of the comments to him are really interesting regarding people who got passed over and really wanted the chance to do the show. Some of the extra videos are interesting. There is one of Mitch seeing his Mom (it is before Xmas) when he gets back. It was nice. He really loves her. I don't think that these are spoilers, but watch at your own risk. 

https://youtu.be/uy5GcbM8A6M 

Edited by riverheightsnancy
  • Love 2