Type keyword(s) to search

Season One Talk: Wolves And Cougars And Bears, Oh My!

• Start Topic

45 days is probably a GREAT guess. I'll say 55 (but I think you're right). I'm still pulling for Alan, though. He's just a cutie and a half.

I hear you. Alan is great and frankly, I think is most likely to win and I will be surprised if he doesn't. However, I hitched my wagon to Mitch in episode 1 and I just really like him and his red hair and brown eyes and his cute daughter and wife (they are lovely!). I found a lot more to like about him from his website linked on the other page, AND he is from my neck of the woods, so I just have to stick with the horse I picked! lol.  I found it not surprising that the majority of guys that are in the last 4 are all professional survival guys and teach classes and stuff. I think the producers picked 3-4 regulars "joes", those were our early, crapping their pants, afraid of bears, tap outs on day 1, 2, 3, and 4. All the rest were much more skilled and that is where the competition really began. It made for some exciting and tension filled TV that is for sure. Just really interested as to where it will all go and how long people will actually last. 

• Love 2

Probably the overactive imagination and self induced heightened sense of danger posed of the early Tapouts.

Yeah, especially the ones who talked about never being without a gun for protection (tapouts 1 & 2 I think The cop and Chris). The more experienced guys are a bit less freaked out by it all. Although Mitch had a close call with a cougar because he cooked his big salmon in his camp and the smell attracted the cougar. I think that he was so excited and hungry that he wasn't thinking about the proper methods of having a cook camp away from your sleep camp. At least he didn't tap out because he got scared. He got his weapons together and went to sleep and said that he would use those if attacked. 

To be fair, the remaining people have "permanent" camps where they -- and their campfires -- have been for some time. The animals know they're there now, and they have no reason to check them out anymore. Those initial bear visits were largely curiosity.

The cougar visit happened because Mitch made a poor decision. He went to the water in the dark, got easy prey, *heard a predator*, led it back to his camp, and then gutted the fish there. He basically hung out a neon sign begging a predator to visit.

Going strictly by what we'd see, I'd say Lucas is the one most likely to run into more predators because he ventures further afield than the others seem to.

• Love 3

LOL, yes, Mitch basically said "Here, kitty kitty, come have some salmon!" The disclaimer at the beginning of each show says they are professionals at this. And if so, they'd know that the animals would go their own way soon enough. I've camped out my entire life and I know better than to leave food out where a bear can smell it.... or a mountain lion, etc. I have a beautiful coyote that comes by my place every now and then and since I know what time of day he's out, I keep my small dog inside. He'd be dinner, if not.

• Love 3

Do you guys know if cougars only hunt at night? So if Mitch cooked during the day, would he have been safer? To that end, Sam was taking a risk as well when he cooked his 1 mouse in his tent, I guess!? I would imagine that what Mitch did is not something he would recommend, I think his hunger got the best of him. But I heard that the smell of mold keeps animals away, so hanging your moldy clothes all around is a great deterrent! lol

I really hope to see a bit more of Mitch and Sam next episode. Really not sure what they are doing, would like a bit of an update as to food, shelter, etc... Although, I suppose that Mitch got featured a lot for his leaf boat and fire starting and water finding. So anytime someone does something special, maybe they are going feature it. Actually, my only criticism of the show at this time is I would like a more even distribution on all of the remaining 4 guys, so that it doesn't seem so lopsided, even if they are not showcasing the winner. Because we won't know until the end if the editing was skewed or not. I would love it if they did a live after show for the last show like they did for Breaking Bad and Big Brother.

I am ready for a few laughs during the special show and the early tap-outs.I suppose that we can postulate what they might say. Josh, "I got dropped off and within 10 seconds realized that I was REALLY Alone. Whoa. I didn't sign-up to be prey. Tap". Chris "Something breathed in the bushes. God, I don't have a gun within 5 feet of me. Tap". Other guy, "A bear charged me-peed my pants- and ran!!! Breathing hard-Tap"  Dustin, "Saw the most perfect things, beautiful sunsets and sunrises. It was magical and existential. I saw an otter crack open shells on his tummy. Tap" I can't even remember some of the other ones. 

• Love 1

When it comes to large predators, it's recommended that not only should you not cook in your tent, but you should change your clothes so you're not sleeping smelling of food. Which makes sense to me.

ETA: riverheightsnancy, did you name two of your cats for the youngest daughters in "Fiddler on the roof"? Those names sound very familiar!

Edited by Fosca

ETA: riverheightsnancy, did you name two of your cats for the youngest daughters in "Fiddler on the roof"? Those names sound very familiar!

Good catch, it was an homage to Fiddler! I did the show as an Undergrad (I was a theatre major back then-I played Chava) and I thought that those would be great names for my cats!  Miss them - RIP little buddies. 

• Love 1

You forgot Joe, who lost his ferro rod on the beach, and Brant, who drank unboiled swamp water.

Yes, you are correct. I keep confusing Joe (ferro rod) and Josh (cop-1st tap).  I liked Joe and think that he could've gone farther were it not for that issue. Brant-I would have liked to know what he was doing that whole time. Wasn't he the one that had not built a shelter or anything for a while and didn't actually eat or try to get water for a while?

Season One: Chronological Order of Tap Outs

1. Josh- Police officer, 3 bears peering down at him from a tree unnerved him.

Glad he didn't have his firearm, or the show would have had 3 dead or wounded bears who were trying everything they could to get out of his way.

2. Chris-Freaked out by the wolves howling on the ridge above him. Also expressed he missed his guns. Had the nerve to diss Josh for being the first Tapout.

3. Joe-Flung his ferro rod into the drink because he placed it on his jacket and picked up the jacket without regard later.

Tapped out before the ONE fire he started had died out.

4. Wayne-Bear scared. Notable: the ugliest wallpaper border in his locked weapons room.

http://www.wallpaper-inc.com/products/ihdg/thomas-kinkade-cottage-wall-paper-border/tk3031b/

Wall paper that bad should be locked up.

5. Brant-Poisoned himself by drinking dank, bacteria laden flushings from the slough.

Had hallucinations of American Indian symbols and flashing lights at night.

6. Dustin-Trees swaying in the wind scared him.

That leaves the Final Four-Lucas, Alan, Mitch, Sam.

Who will be the cheese that stands ALONE?

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 6

Ah, humbleopinion, I thought you knew something I didn't! Although the name Mitch Mitchell is pretty much fantastic, anyway. It sounds like a local sportscaster. Mitchell Mitchell could easily be explained by "hippie parents." 

Per Alan's twitter his giant fish trap is still on VI so no funny TSA stories to tell.  Bummer.  Maybe I'll venture up there and look for it so I can have a souvenir by Alan from the show.  And hey, who wouldn't want a cool fish trap?

Edited by GreyBunny
  • Love 2
His self reflection is so endearing. "There is probably no such thing as limits."

No, sir... there is not. :) That is my new motto. I am not thinking about tomorrow. I am thinking about forever.

I seriously cried during Alan's little speech this week. That dude is so humbling, so inspirational. At this point, it's not about the win for him, but his own personal journey. I feel blessed to be able to witness it. 

In the movie, Broadcast News, the Holly Hunter character, Jane Craig sets aside time everyday for a cathartic cry, to de-stress.

Hopefully, Lucas is doing the same, taking a daily psychological cleanse.
It is not a complete episode until Lucas has shed some tears.

I feel like I would be a Lucas if I were out there. Crying is just how I deal with things. I would struggle to do something, have a big cry, and then come back 20 minutes later, refreshed, and try again. 

like this too...and I think that it speaks to how brutally boring so much of their days must be. It's sobering, for sure. Someone upthread mentioned bringing a book as a survival item, but what book? I'd need a behemoth tome of literature, or the Oxford Dictionary or something. Probably you are not allowed a Kindle, heh.

LOL, that was me. It would be hard to decide. You'd need something fairly long and something you wouldn't mind rereading. I don't think I could read the dictionary, or the Bible again, that might make me more bored than NOT reading. If it's part of a series, can that count as one item - sort of like their fishing gear is all one item? Because I'd probably bring my Song of Ice and Fire books. 

I'd bring a notebook/pen so I could write my own stories while stuck in my shelter for days on end. It'd be fun to go back and read my descent into madness...

That's actually a better idea. 

Ok, so I've watched each episode at least twice. I can figure out fire and I'm pretty sure I can fashion a boat. I'll do some work on hollering "Hey Bear" and perfecting my wine marinated slug compote ala Alan then I think I'm ready to sign up for season 2.

Who's with me?!

I wish! I'm pretty sure the only thing I'd be able to accomplish is Alan's water bottle fish trap. 

• Love 3

My stupid History Channel won't show After the Rescue until 8/5 Wed @10pm folllowed by a 11pm showing of the Inside Look:The Hunger episode you saw Sunday.

Hard to snark when we aren't all on the same viewing schedule.

Don't fret. The Wednesday  10pm time for After the Rescue is correct. No one is going to see that before then. And as I mentioned above, there are several repeats of Inside Look: The Hunger scheduled.

I moved anything that didn't happen in the regular episodes to a new spoiler thread. The Today Show interview, the "inside look" show is all contained in there so it will be easier for people who don't want to know about their exploits off camera. 

I will be a good idea to put all media links there as well, since they might have spoiler information. Thanks!

• Love 1

I'm starting to feel sorry for these guys, being out there over a month now.  The constant struggle for food, the rain, and now the freezing cold.  I've camped all my life and there's nothing that'll make me wish for home faster than waking up with a frozen nose. 

Charmed again by Mitch's daughter....they're so cute together.   Really liked Lucas' yurt, and I can't believe he made an instrument.  I just love seeing the things all these guys come up with.  Heading off to bed now, singing "Been in the woods too long, this is my two-note song...." :)

• Love 5

Lucas is starting to grow on me! It's like he and Alan changed places. Lucas is the positive one now. He also seems like he really could do it for the long haul, while Alan seems like he misses his family too much. They both have great survival skills though.

Isn't Lucas the only one left without kids?

I think Sam is next to go. He just doesn't have it, and Mitch to a lesser degree.

• Love 4

Okay, Alan is still my favorite, but darned if Lucas didn't completely win me over tonight. I was telling my husband just today that I was bummed that no one was making long-term plans and doing things to make themselves more comfortable over the long run. Well, Lucas proved me wrong. I think he did some really smart things, and I loved his instrument and song.

That song will be stuck in my head FOREVER.

• Love 7

I still love me some Alan, but my heart cheated tonight with Lucas. First a canoe, then a yurt, a guitar & a sauna on the way. He's just working it. I also identify with his emotional need to cry at times for release (me too Lucas!) so I was already nursing a crush, but tonight it grew & grew.

Alan just seemed like he was soldiering on but like he'd lost a little of his umpth. I expect him to rebound because he seems so strong overall. I do appreciate his commentary so much.

I like that they're continuing to give us the bits of info on the screen. It's interesting stuff & on a sillier note they leave it up long enough to read it if I happen to have glanced away for a moment. I appreciate that.

Sam & Mitch seem to be hurting. The cold & lack of food really amplifies the emotional roller coaster they're on. Sometimes I feel like I can really tell how much younger Sam is. I don't mean that negatively, I just mean in some of his emotion.

I find myself letting the commercials play the last one or two breaks, even though I DVR, because I hate knowing the show's about to end. This series has truly captured magic in such a still, quiet, impactful way & I'm glad I've gotten to see it.

• Love 1

They've been out there 7 weeks, so I'm OK if they talk about how they're missing their families. However, I am getting a little tired of everyone saying a version of " I've proved to myself I can do this. So why am I still out here?" or "I should be at home providing for my family." Guys, never forget there's 1/2 a million bucks at stake and THAT'S why you're doing it AND how you provide for your family.

It was extremely jarring tonight to go immediately from the quiet of Alone to the loud, overly dramatic and generally annoying narration of Ice Road Truckers.

Edited by Quilt Fairy
  • Love 2

Sam's losing it because he's living on a diet of mice. And his wife is pregnant and that's on his mind. When he looks into the camera at night with the light hitting his face in that eerie way, he looks like a sure-fire candidate to be cast in a slasher film.

Lucas, LOL, love your little guitar! While he was making it, I kept saying "Why aren't you whittling that thing up for fire-starter stuff? Because when the rain starts coming in that hole, you're going to need it." Then he started playing "Been In The Woods Too Long" and I found myself humming along. I hope he gets his umbrella on a stick made soon.

I've camped in a yurt before, but mine had hardwood floors, a door and a ceiling fan where the hole usually is. It was a campground of them, with beds, a heater. I loved it.

That bird that was eating the fish looked nasty.

Alan has got a really nice, big house. I want to know what a corrections officer makes, I may change professions. I wonder if he cooks at home, because the man knows how to combine duck and salmon in such an attractive way. Maybe he should try out for Chopped.

• Love 3

Yeah, after he said it had worms, I expected him to put it back in the water. I guess it worked out for him, though.

I love that Lucas just keeps himself busy. He just does project after project after project. I love his good cries, because I would totally do those, too. But as someone upthread said, he cries, shakes it off, then moves on. Mitch and Sam need a hobby, fast.

Edited by tanyak

Lucas, LOL, love your little guitar! While he was making it, I kept saying "Why aren't you whittling that thing up for fire-starter stuff? Because when the rain starts coming in that hole, you're going to need it." Then he started playing "Been In The Woods Too Long" and I found myself humming along. I hope he gets his umbrella on a stick made soon.

I loved how they showed him staying up ALL NIGHT making it. When he zeroes in on something, it's a 100% laser-guided focus.

I'm wondering how Lucas got a coffee pot. It's not on his list.  Of course everyone seems to have way more tarps than can be accounted for in their lists.

I also wonder if Alan was married before. Two episodes ago he was talking about things he regretted and one of them was his relationship with his son. That kind of regret doesn't seem likely if the son is only a toddler.

• Love 5

I loved Lucas' yurt, but I don't understand why no one is insulating their shelters with branches.  They have entire days with nothing to do, go out, gather cedar branches (They're everywhere) and pile them around your shelter.  They would also provide noise dampening on that tarp roof of Lucas'.  I don't mind the patter of rain through branches, or on a tin roof, but the constant slushy rain hitting a tarp would make me batty.  This show is really making me miss the rain.  My husband is from the Cariboo, where it is generally sunny for the most part, and he thinks the constant rain would make him crazy, but I love me some thunder storms.  Even though I'm still on the west coast, it doesn't rain as much in the lower mainland.

Oh, forgot to say, I noticed that one of them, don't remember which, was making spruce tea.  Finally. 

Edited by muffkins
  • Love 2

That song will be stuck in my head FOREVER.

I'm still humming it this morning, and I've realized it can be adapted for just about anything....."Don't wanna go to work....singin' my two-note song..." ;

This show is good for my diet, though.  I feel too guilty to sit on the couch with a hot coffee and a piece of cheesecake when they're eating tiny squashed mice and wormy birds!

At this point I think I'd be OK with ANY of them winning.  They've all proved they're pretty tough and resourceful, they've all endured a lot in terms of conditions and struggles, and they're all likeable in their different ways.  I'm going to miss this show!

• Love 6

Been in the woods too long.

This is my two note song...

And my awesome yurt.

And foyer to my yurt.

And my stone hearth and drying rack above it.

And my hand carved stringed instrument.

As he was building his yurt...

Yes, birdy, I will be your neighbor for a long time until a bunch of people come and get me with oatmeal cookies, my girlfriend and pumpkin pie.

Alan's Cooking Corner featured Boiled Dolly Varden paired with Bufflehead "Daffy" Duck garnished with some sea lettuce.

"Put your ingredients in your pot, let them shake hands and love one another."

"No king eats better than I."

Sam needs to get major calories other than the measley 35 cal he gets per mouse.

He needs to fuel his brain because his recurrent theme last night was that he is going nutty.

"Sick of it, so sick of it."

Mitch doesn't blink anymore.

"I'm not getting it done."

Grim.

Edited by humbleopinion
  • Love 4

Still on the Mitch train! I loved his interactions with his lovely daughter. He is very sweet in his discussions with her. I think that Mitch is very much the introvert. He is a thinker. It is like he spent a lot of time trying to "crack the code" for fire. NOW he is set. I think he is burning up cognitive time on figuring out how to get consistent food. I think if he solves that, he is in it for the long haul. He is grim about what is happening because he is not satisfied with his own performance, but his comments about his family were very introspective and he wasn't saying that he wanted to leave. He was saying that he wants to do better and is disappointed in himself and his personal performance. I see his behavior and Sam's very differently. I think that Lucas is likely to tap if he has a bad moment and has an emotional break-down (like we have seen). He is very bipolarly in behavior and very impulsive. So that wouldn't surprise me if he taps out suddenly and without much leading up to it.

Lucas' guitar was fun, but I also think he is wildly impulsive. He puts himself in a lot of danger. I would rather be out there with Alan or Mitch. I don't get why Lucas is cooking in his tent. Alan seems to be the only one that isn't doing that. I think Mitch cooked/cooks inside and out (right outside of his tent) and he had that scare with the cougar, so I am uncertain what he is doing exactly because they haven't shown much of him lately. Sam cooks in his tent too, but what he cooks is so small that I don't know if it matters. This is a question that I would loved to have answered by them after it is all done. Lucas builds a brand new shelter and then decides to cook in it, so I am curious about the decision. Lucas is way over-ambitious, and that can also be his achillies heel. I was worried about his safety when he hastily jumped in that boat to get the bird away from his fish line. It looked choppy and dangerous, so I thought that he was taking a huge risk. Really thought someone would tap last night. Curious as to where it all goes. There is no chance that anyone is still out there right? When did they actually (IRL) begin filming? Was this last Fall?

• Love 1

Lucas builds a brand new shelter and then decides to cook in it, so I am curious about the decision.

Indians did that in teepees for hundreds of years. I am not sure about the Mongolians and the yurts because I don't know that much about them.

It looks like filming started in the fall. What blows my mind is that one day it was freezing cold and everything was iced over. Next day, nothing.

• Love 2

Indians did that in teepees for hundreds of years. I am not sure about the Mongolians and the yurts because I don't know that much about them.

It looks like filming started in the fall. What blows my mind is that one day it was freezing cold and everything was iced over. Next day, nothing.

Yes good point. I know that Mitch got flack for cooking in his shelter, so I was curious as to how/why this is somehow different? Is it different? I know the outsides of the Yurt(sp?) had those dug-in logs, so, that certainly seemed stable (I would insulate like Alan did though). I am also curious about what was noted upthread a bit, about the fact that Lucas had a coffee pot and extra tarps beyond the 10 allowed items. So, I would like to know that answer as well.  I am glad that we got more detail about Alan's shelter. I always thought that it looked like he had a solid wall behind him in that cave like place. I think that was very smart. HIs kids and his interactions with them very very cute too. I think he looks better clean shaven. More handsome. 

Cooksdelight, I know that you know quite a bit about reality TV and know people in the industry, I was wondering, even though there is a main prize at the end of this competition, I am also assume that each tap out is being paid something for their time. I think that they have to become SAG or Equity union members to be on reality tv and by nature of being in the union, are required to be paid (I was a voice over artist at one point and I was going to get my SAG card for those exact reasons). Do you know if that holds true for most reality competition TV shows? (like Chopped-do they get a little something even if they do not win?)  My thought is, that some of these guys may be holding out, hoping for the best position and some type of payment as opposed to $0 for first tap out, or a low amount. It is like what we see on Survivor. Some people are more than happy to take that second place prize. 

The concern about cooking in their shelter is that the smell of food draws predators. This may be of less concern when a camp has been established for some time -- I honestly don't know. It's generally smarter to prepare, cook, eat, and store food in a separate camp.

• Love 1

Cooksdelight, I know that you know quite a bit about reality TV and know people in the industry, I was wondering, even though there is a main prize at the end of this competition, I am also assume that each tap out is being paid something for their time. I think that they have to become SAG or Equity union members to be on reality tv and by nature of being in the union, are required to be paid (I was a voice over artist at one point and I was going to get my SAG card for those exact reasons). Do you know if that holds true for most reality competition TV shows? (like Chopped-do they get a little something even if they do not win?)  My thought is, that some of these guys may be holding out, hoping for the best position and some type of payment as opposed to $0 for first tap out, or a low amount. It is like what we see on Survivor. Some people are more than happy to take that second place prize. 

No, they do not have to be SAG members to be on reality TV. To get a SAG card, you have to pay your dues as a bit player for years. A good friend of mine just got hers and she's been acting for 10 years. Some get them quicker if they get a big break. So no, reality show people are not union members.

Not all reality competition shows pay the runners-up anything. Survivor does, but what the amount is, is very hush-hush. They are under strict contract not to discuss it. Chopped pays nothing to the runners-up, and the contestants have to pay their own expenses to get there. Airfare, hotel, etc.... which is why I always feel for the people who come in from the west coast.

Whether or not this show pays anything to the guys who tap-out is anyone's guess. 

• Love 1

Generally, the temperature is relatively mild in winter.  The problem is the dampness.  20 F is about -7 C, which shouldn't be much of a problem, but it eats into your entire body when everything is damp.  I can go out in -20 C for a bit in a sweater up in Quesnel, because the air is dryer and nothing is damp, but wrap up in layers and layers down here at home when it gets close to freezing because it just eats through you.  It's so hard to dress for the weather in winter because, like on the show, it can start out really cold, and by midday, everything has melted and it's fairly warm when the sun is up.  I've mowed my lawn in February some years, even though the days start off really cold.

• Love 3