Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

I am thrilled that Margo Martindale won another Emmy, this time as Outstanding Guest Actress in a Drama Series.  Everything she does is golden and I still think she was the best thing about the movie "Million Dollar Baby" (and I loved that movie) even though her character was truly horrible. 

I see that GoT has taken a page from the MF playbook having all the actors submit as "supporting" and no leads.

Can't blame them for going supporting. Even the actors with the most screentime are probably clocking only a hour or so. Peter, Lena and Emilia are probably the closest things GoT has to leads and sometimes they're only in episodes for a scene or not in episodes at all.

I knew there was zero chance, but I was hoping for some recognition for the amazing Constance Wu from "Fresh Off the Boat".  She completely makes that show.

I'm hoping with Fresh Off The Boat getting a full season this year will help develop a following and Constance will get her recognition next year. 

I've only watched the first half of S1 of Orphan Black but I'm happy for Tatiana Maslany and all her fans. It really is easy to forget that all those characters are played by one actress.

So often I forget Maslany plays all of them than if clones who aren't normally in scenes together share a scene its exciting, like seeing two actors for the first time. She's truly amazing and while it feels like the nomination is the reward in her case she'd be more than worthy of the Emmy.

Even though it's already overloaded with categories, perhaps the Emmys need to add a dramedy category for the increasing number of shows which, like life, do not fall squarely into either the drama or comedy realm. Those types of shows didn't used to exist; everything was either laden with laugh tracks or somber as hell. Entertainment has evolved, and it's time for the Emmys to catch up.

The Emmys need to badly shake things up, though its hard to say how. Based on episode length?Season length? Based on genre? Based on single cam or multi cam? Traditional broadcast and new media? The Emmys are already a long show so how many categories to you add? What do you cut to make room? I do understand why they haven't made any changes because its not like there are easy decisions.

Well I'm sure Taylor is to busy to attend anything as mundane as the Emmys, much less the "creative arts" portion. There are no fake feuds and everyone probably wears a complete outfit, how utterly boring for her!

The Interactive Emmys were announced a couple of days before the ceremony and given out last Saturday, when she had a show in Minnesota. I'm sure if she'd postponed a concert that had been sold out for months to walk the red carpet and personally pick up a Creative Arts Emmy, that no one would have had anything negative to say about it...

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 5

Taylor Swift won an Emmy for "Original Interactive Program" (the app she did for the "Blank Space" video). Anyway, it was overnighted it to her.

All she has to do is appear in a Broadway Musical and win a Tony, and sing a movie theme song that wins the Oscar for "Best Song," and Taylor Swift will be an EGOT. Boggles the mind.

The Interactive Emmys were announced a couple of days before the ceremony and given out last Saturday, when she had a show in Minnesota. I'm sure if she'd postponed a concert that had been sold out for months to walk the red carpet and personally pick up a Creative Arts Emmy, that no one would have had anything negative to say about it...

My comment was intended to be a lighthearted joke.

• Love 1

All she has to do is appear in a Broadway Musical and win a Tony, and sing a movie theme song that wins the Oscar for "Best Song," and Taylor Swift will be an EGOT. Boggles the mind.

She probably wouldn't even have to appear in/create music for a "legitimate" Broadway show (Musical or Play); just book at least a week (probably 2 is better) of concerts in a legit Broadway house & she's sure to be awarded a "Special" Tony for it (Barry Manilow, Lily Tomlin & others have received Tonys that way--by the way, I love Manilow, so I'm not slamming him, or anyone else named [except Taylor... Laughs] for it). It still would probably count (at least by most people) towards an "EGOT" (Grand Slam of Major Entertainment Industry Awards--Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, Tony), even if it's "Special".

And, yeah, it boggles my mind too that the (my opinion) overrated, under talented--at least vocally--beyotch is halfway to an (highly undeserved, in my opinion) "EGOT", having won an Emmy & at least 1 Grammy.

To win an Oscar, she'd actually have to be a credited writer on a winning song from a movie. The singer doesn't win the Oscar unless they're also a credited writer. The singer winning the Oscar for Best Song, as a "separate entity" from the writer(s), is a misconception.

Edited by BW Manilowe
  • Love 2

Taylor Swift writes her songs, though. Not "writes", by tacking her name on the credits for money, but she first got signed by a record label for her songwriting talents, not her voice. She has sole writing credit for all the songs on one of her albums: Red, I believe. Opinions obviously vary about her actual abilities in either singing or songwriting, of course. I figured if Swift won an Emmy, it would be the way Timberlake did, by writing a comedic song for SNL.

• Love 3

I wish these awards shows would be on Saturday night instead of Sunday, I think there would be a lot more viewing parties that way. I know I'd be way more inclined to throw one. I know they are going by the fact that the viewing audience is larger as a rule on Sunday, but who knows, it might be worth a shot.

• Love 1

So I'm guessing that because he didn't win for UKS, we'll be seeing Jon Hamm get his conciliatory* Don Draper Emmy tomorrow night?

I still can't decide whether I want Joanne Froggatt or Christina Hendricks to win the Supporting Actress Emmy. JoFro is the bae but this is Hendricks's last chance to win for Joan and JoFro still has another year left to win for Anna...I guess I'll be happy either way. I just really hope it's one of the two of them.

*I don't mean to sound flip with this, but if Jon Hamm does win for Lead Actor, whether it was deserved or not (I haven't seen all of the performances in his category so I can't say for sure) it's going to come off as conciliatory. He's been nominated every season and hasn't wonand it's one of those roles where he kind of needs at least one Emmy, just for the sake of common sense. I wonder if we'll just be seeing a Mad Men, sweep, honestly, which I'm not sure I'd enjoy. I think it's an awesome show and deserving of all the praise it's gotten, but a show sweeping at the Emmys the last year that it's eligible is just so boring and predictable. It happened with Breaking Bad last year and it made for kind of a lackluster evening.

A small point about Hamm's chances tonight: Back in the day, Martin Sheen was nominated for Lead Actor in a Drama Series 6 out of the 7 seasons The West Wing aired on NBC. He was considered the 1 to beat in the category all 6 times. He NEVER won the award for that role.

Also, though it's not quite as pertinent--though still applicable--actress Jane Kaczmarek was nominated for Best Lead Actress in a Comedy all 7 seasons of her show, Malcolm in the Middle. She also was considered to be the 1 to beat in the category, at least most of the 7 seasons. She never took home the Emmy for that role either (though her then-husband, actor Bradley Whitford, won for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama thanks to his role in The West Wing at the long-delayed--thanks to 9/11 & the start of the subsequent wars--2001 Emmys).

So this goes to prove that, even if you're considered "a lock" for or "deserving" of the win, you shouldn't count on being the 1 to go onstage & accept the award when the category winner's announced. The same thing may continue to happen to Hamm tonight.

A small point about Hamm's chances tonight: Back in the day, Martin Sheen was nominated for Lead Actor in a Drama Series 6 out of the 7 seasons The West Wing aired on NBC. He was considered the 1 to beat in the category all 6 times. He NEVER won the award for that role.

Also, though it's not quite as pertinent--though still applicable--actress Jane Kaczmarek was nominated for Best Lead Actress in a Comedy all 7 seasons of her show, Malcolm in the Middle. She also was considered to be the 1 to beat in the category, at least most of the 7 seasons. She never took home the Emmy for that role either (though her then-husband, actor Bradley Whitford, won for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama thanks to his role in The West Wing at the long-delayed--thanks to 9/11 & the start of the subsequent wars--2001 Emmys).

So this goes to prove that, even if you're considered "a lock" for or "deserving" of the win, you shouldn't count on being the 1 to go onstage & accept the award when the category winner's announced. The same thing may continue to happen to Hamm tonight.

And don't forget Steve Carrell who after losing the Best Actor in a Comedy every season for The Office, many were positive he would finally win for his last season. The sentiment was that it would be almost criminal for him to never win for the role of Michael Scott. Well apparently the Emmy voters didn't agree and he still lost (his wife looked pissed in the audience).

About the only person off the top of my head I can think of who won after consistently losing, when their show ended, is Sarah Jessica Parker for Sex and the City. That was the one and only Emmy she won for the role after being nominated every year the show was on.

Edited by truthaboutluv

And don't forget Steve Carrell who after losing the Best Actor in a Comedy every season for The Office, many were positive he would finally win for his last season. The sentiment was that it would be almost criminal for him to never win for the role of Michael Scott. Well apparently the Emmy voters didn't agree and he still lost (his wife looked pissed in the audience).

About the only person off the top of my head I can think of who won after consistently losing, when their show ended, is Sarah Jessica Parker for Sex and the City. That was the one and only Emmy she won for the role after being nominated every year the show was on.

Sometimes it seems "they" like you enough to nominate you, including multiple times, but not enough to actually give you the win.

So I'm guessing that because he didn't win for UKS, we'll be seeing Jon Hamm get his conciliatory* Don Draper Emmy tomorrow night?

*I don't mean to sound flip with this, but if Jon Hamm does win for Lead Actor, whether it was deserved or not (I haven't seen all of the performances in his category so I can't say for sure) it's going to come off as conciliatory. He's been nominated every season and hasn't won and it's one of those roles where he kind of needs at least one Emmy, just for the sake of common sense. I wonder if we'll just be seeing a Mad Men, sweep, honestly, which I'm not sure I'd enjoy. I think it's an awesome show and deserving of all the praise it's gotten, but a show sweeping at the Emmys the last year that it's eligible is just so boring and predictable. It happened with Breaking Bad last year

and it made for kind of a lackluster evening.

Talking with a friend one time about Lawrence of Arabia, my friend asked rhetorically enough, "Peter O'Toole won an Oscar for that, right?"  I told my friend O'Toole hadn't.  "Really?  You gotta be kidding me," my friend said.  "I know.  Hard to believe," I said.  "Then again," I added, "you have to take into account who he lost to."  My friend asked, "Who?"  I smiled.  "Gregory Peck," I said.  "To Kill a Mockingbird."  My point is that these were two of the great, iconic performances of the last fifty some years.  But they both happened to come in the same year. 

Which reminds me of Hamm.  It's easy to say he should have won an Emmy for playing Don Draper.  And I'm not saying he shouldn't have.  Thing was though, he had, for the most part, Bryan Cranston (Hamm's Gregory Peck) standing in his way. 

True too, he lost to Damien Lewis.  But it must be remembered what a cultural and critical phenomenon Homeland was in its first year.  Plus Lewis's performance that year was intricately complex.  He wasn't merely playing a Muslim convert and terrorist pretending to be a war hero.  That his character was.  But Brody was also suffering from PTSD, and he was quite legitimately (if somewhat paradoxically seeing as he was planning to strap on a suicide vest) trying to reconnect with his family.  To say Brody was conflicted would be understating things wildly.  It was, no doubt, an Emmy worthy performance.

The win by Jeff Daniels the next year was a shock and a surprise.  He won for The Newsroom's first season (its best) when that show was shiny and new...and when MAD MEN was beginning to lose its luster.  I've never been a big fan of Jeff Daniels as an actor myself, but I, personally, loved the "love it or hate it" show.  And Daniels was the best I'd ever seen him.  Very comfortable and convincing in the role.  Most of the criticism I read at the time about the show seemed to be directed toward Sorkin...for reasons both political and stylistic.  Many of the complaints when Daniels won seemed to me to be more of the "guilt by association" type.  People complained about the insufferably long winded speechifying of Will McAvoy.  But that seemed to me to be more "kill the messenger" criticism indirectly directed at Sorkin than it was warranted for Daniels' performance.  So, yeah, while I was shocked and surprised at JD's win, I was initially kind of delighted by it.  Having thought about it since, I wouldn't claim that Daniels deserved the award.  But neither do I think it was quite the travesty some people did and do.  It's a very good performance.  Then, and through the whole of the series run.  Which doesn't mean that I'm not shocked and surprised that Daniels has received three straight nominations for the role...on a show that has otherwise been pretty much ignored by the Acdemy of Television Arts and Sciences. 

Perhaps the most encouraging loss of Hamm's MM run might be Kyle Chandler's 2010-2011 win for Friday Night Lights.  It can easily be argued that Chandler was rewarded with an Emmy as sort of a parting gift for all the great work he'd done over the course of FNL.  Many are predicting that Hamm's going to receive just such a parting gift tonight for MM.  I'd be totally fine with that.  It does seem somehow inconceivable that Hamm's never won an Emmy for what is undeniably one of TV's all-time iconic roles.  Just saying or citing "Don Draper" means something.  Wouldn't it be funny though (or perhaps painfully ironic) if Kyle Chandler were to win tonight for his shiny new show Bloodline...or if Bob Odenkirk were to win for his shiny new show  Better Call Saul with its Breaking Bad (Hamm's old nemesis) bloodline?

~~~~~       

The truth, it turns out, is indeed stranger than fiction!

http://imgur.com/YaOXRze

Edited by dampfire

I think I like Taraji P. Henson's dress. 

Oh, come on, Heidi Klum! That looks like someone stuck together pieces of 3 different garments that all happpen to be the same color.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 2

Damn, Alison Janney, are those cut-outs? Yowza.

Julie Bowen looks good! It's always a crap shoot with her.

I like the white tuxedo on Tatiana Maslany, too.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 1

Keegan-Michael Key is fantastic. I hope he's on another TV series soon.

Morena Baccarin. when ugly dresses happen to beautiful women.

Elizabeth Moss is becoming Gillian Anderson.

Edited by ABay