Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Death Doesn't Let You Say Goodbye

Athena

Riley learns about her new life and its dangers, Kala deals with the aftermath of the attack on Rajan’s father, and Lito's world spins out of control.
(edited)

Any dry eyes after this episode?

I wish! Almost every episode is trying to rip out my heart. 

I love how they've captured the closeness yet unfamiliarity of all the Sensates. Like when Nomi and Lito were in the museum and they were having this incredibly intimate conversation which their body language betrayed. He's there clearly emotionally wrecked and she's supporting him yet you could tell by the way she was sitting that there was a lot of hesitation. I just love it, the characters are so well drawn.

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 11

Hmm, so is Jonas really not a good guy or is that lady with Riley not actually on her side at all? She (the lady) definitely seemed scared. Jonas and Angelica both warned them about the whispers guy, told them not to look at him. If Jonas was working for BPO, why would they be holding him? Or, that could be a set up I guess. I just want Sayid to be a good guy.

Oh, man, Lito broke my heart. And Nomi's story was awful, but I continue to love how the sensate most aligned with another's need is the one who shows up, even if neither one understands it at first.

• Love 5

So, it sounds like the connection to this cluster is that they all have the same birthday?  I wonder exact it is: like being born at the exact same time, right down to the second.  Or if time-zones play any part in it.  Heh, probably thinking to much about it.

I'm not going to say which pairings I like the best, since they all have that their moments.  But that Lito/Nomi scene was so damn good. Both of them shined together, and seeing Lito's date with Hernando, combined with the horrible treatment Nomi got, was some powerful television.  And then seeing how they are at the end of it.  Nomi and Neets are back together already (yay!), and clearly are going to stick together, no matter what the danger is.  Meanwhile, Lito is still alone, and is falling apart at the seams.  I figured that there was going to be a fake-out with the gun, but that was still hard to watch.  Really hope he pulls it together, but I have to think he needs to resolve Daniella's situation, before he can even think about reconciling with Hernando.

So.... according to this new lady Riley saw, Jonas might not be such a good guy after-all.  I have no idea, really.  I wouldn't be surprised if he does have another agenda, but I'm hoping that he isn't bad.  If he really is conning everyone, he's a hell of an actor, because I really do feel like he wants to protect them.

So, Riley had a husband who died (and that's why she thinks she is cursed), while Van Damme had a younger sister, that they had to give up for adoption.  Damn, that's harsh.  Their scene was good too.

Meanwhile, Wolfgang's uncle basically told him to don't even think about retaliating (don't think Wolfgang will be following that order), Kala finds out that her fiancee's mother is actually religious, Will is set on trying to find Jonas, and Sun's father claims that he realizes he been a horrible human being, and is going to tell the truth.

• Love 2
But that Lito/Nomi scene was so damn good. Both of them shined together, and seeing Lito's date with Hernando, combined with the horrible treatment Nomi got, was some powerful television.

That was an awesome scene, made even better by that instrumental cover of 'Mad World' by Tears for Fears played in the background.

Hmm, so is Jonas really not a good guy or is that lady with Riley not actually on her side at all? She (the lady) definitely seemed scared. Jonas and Angelica both warned them about the whispers guy, told them not to look at him. If Jonas was working for BPO, why would they be holding him? Or, that could be a set up I guess. I just want Sayid to be a good guy.

Obviously there are, and have been, multiple clusters.  The lady in Iceland said that Jonas and Angelica birthed new clusters to find other Sensates.  How many clusters are there ?  And it looks like there are more than two factions to the Sensates -- obviously Dr. Whispers and BPO are one side, Jonas and Angelica and the new cluster, and the lady in Iceland seems to be part of a 3rd faction separate from Jonas and Dr. Whispers.  Are there any more pieces to this puzzles ?

So, Riley had a husband who died (and that's why she thinks she is cursed),

Not just a husband, a husband and a baby who was either stillborn or died shortly after it's birth. There were two names on the gravestone, her husband's and a baby's called something like Lunas with a surname which was a patynomic of the husband's. The baby was born and died on the same day as her husband. (I'm also guessing that the husband was Sven's son and that's why Riley's father expected him to go to their graves with him?)

• Like 1
  • Love 3

How can this show manage to make me care about 8 characters so much? How does it do this? I just love all the characters, and their interaction with each other, so much. 

The cover of "Mad World" was beautiful, and perfectly fit that scene. Just a lovely sequence, and perfectly played by the actors. 

And because I was not done crying, the Capheus/Riley scene got me again. The tears! They are real.

Don`t ever scare me like that again, Lito! That was not ok! 

• Love 4
(edited)

Oh, man, Lito broke my heart. And Nomi's story was awful, but I continue to love how the sensate most aligned with another's need is the one who shows up, even if neither one understands it at first.

I kind of feel like Jonas and the lady with Riley are both trying to help but just in different ways. And with Jonas' history Riley's lady doesn't trust him at all.

I think Jonas' motives were pretty well telegraphed in episode 1 when he and Angelica were having their moment/saying goodbye. Angelica asking him to protect them and talking about how she didn't want anyone else to get hurt. And he seemed pretty clearly in love with her and maybe having his own regrets.

Or maybe I just don't want Sayid to be a bad guy either, LOL. But he has been pretty protective of them so far.

Lito made me profoundly sad this episode. Between him/Nomi, Kala and Wolfgang's hospital stories and Capheus/Riley I was a puddle by the end of this episode.

I really like the character led stories they're developing. Makes the mythology that much better.

Edited by SanLynn
  • Love 4

So, it sounds like the connection to this cluster is that they all have the same birthday?  I wonder exact it is: like being born at the exact same time, right down to the second.  Or if time-zones play any part in it.  Heh, probably thinking to much about it.

Jonas, I believe, said of the cluster's birthdays that "the first breath they take, they take as one", so I think they were born at the exact same time/moment across different timezones that led them to all taking their first breath as one. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I am anything but gay but "I sank to my knees and took him in my mouth like Holy Communion" has to be one of the most glorious (or "beautiful and terrifying" descriptions of oral sex I've ever heard.  The dialog on this show is sometimes pretty bad, but the way Lito said that  was just so damn wonderful.

• Love 7

All of the sensates having the same birthday actually makes sense. I'm not entirely ready to believe that Jonas is a baddie just yet though.

Riley's backstory was absolutely devastating as was finding out Capheus's sister as well.

The scenes with Nomi and Lito in this episode nearly ripped out my heart. While Nomi got to reunite with Amanita, Lito and Hernando are still broken up.

Not a lot of Will and Sun this episode but the tiny scenes they got were great though.

Pretty sure Kala's fiancee at some point is going to realise that she's not really not that into him. Was a little surprised her father in law survived though.

Wolfgang might be a little over his head with his uncle though.

Loved the music in this one as well, 9/10

• Love 3

I think I held my breath for the entire episode. Whoosh. 

I'm still not clear on how Jonas can communicate outside of the cluster, but I guess it's because he 'birthed' them. 

• Like 1

I'm still not clear on how Jonas can communicate outside of the cluster, but I guess it's because he 'birthed' them. 

Angelica birthed this cluster, but Jonas was sharing with Angelica when it happened and that's probably what led him to Will and Nomi. I think it's covered in this episode, but it'll be explored further about the visiting. I'll spoiler tag just in case:

Sensates can "visit" each other outside of the cluster. It's just for communication and talking. They can't share feelings, abilities, languages, etc. as they do within their own cluster. Sensates will be able to visit each other once they make eye to eye contact. This is why Jonas appears to both Nomi and Will; he actually saw them and looked at them in person, forming the connection.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm mainlining the show now. It's taken me in. 

been there -- done that!  I think I saw all 12 episodes over 3 (non-consecutive) days!

I should add that I never binge-watch!

Edited by jhlipton
  • Love 2

That was an awesome scene, made even better by that instrumental cover of 'Mad World' by Tears for Fears played in the background.

Thank you! I could not name the song, it was maddening. And lovely.

Not just a husband, a husband and a baby who was either stillborn or died shortly after it's birth. There were two names on the gravestone, her husband's and a baby's called something like Lunas with a surname which was a patynomic of the husband's. The baby was born and died on the same day as her husband. (I'm also guessing that the husband was Sven's son and that's why Riley's father expected him to go to their graves with him?)

The baby's name was Luna Magnusdottir (Magnus' daughter). I wasn't expecting she'd lost a husband and child. I thought it was her mother and perhaps infant sibling.

I love this show. The first episode didn't really capture me, but when I finally watched the second episode, I was hooked. I am only watching an episode or two a day, even though I want to watch them all at once.

• Love 1

I binged watched in the beginning of binge watching, when it was a new thing, but I didn't like it. One show a day was enough for me. I'm starting a new job on Monday, so I wanted to complete this series by then. 

We started out watching one a week and now we are watching one every day...and I love it so much that I both can't wait for the evening for the episode and am totally dreading that it will (inevitably) be over...

• Love 4

This was probably my favorite episode of all of them. I've just watched the last four episodes. Lito and Nomi scene was great like already mentioned.

Jonas explained to Will in the beginning of the season that other sensates can visit each other if they have had eye contact. That's why Jonas and Will could visit each other.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Best episode until now. 
That Nomi and Lito scene gave me goosebumps. Same with the Riley & Van Damme scene. I was kinda hesitant after the pilot, now I am absolutley invested in the plot.

• Love 2
On 7/9/2015 at 10:51 PM, Clanstarling said:
On 6/14/2015 at 4:47 AM, AllyB said:

The baby's name was Luna Magnusdottir (Magnus' daughter).

I think the baby was a few months old based on my quick look at the birth and death dates. But we still don't know how they died, right? Just that Riley felt that it was her fault.

On 6/14/2015 at 4:47 AM, AllyB said:

(I'm also guessing that the husband was Sven's son and that's why Riley's father expected him to go to their graves with him?)

Good catch on that, I was just thinking he was a family friend. I should have figured it out when he started talking about Riley's father playing a song when they went to visit, and I think Sven said something about not seeing the point because "they" weren't there anymore. 

I really need to rewatch these episodes, because it is hard to keep track of the plot and characters after just one watch.

Even though the story overall is somewhat fantastic and I understand that you have to suspend disbelief, it takes me out of the story a bit when the writers have people survive attacks that should have killed them. Based on the way the attacks were filmed, both Felix and Kala's future father-in-law should be dead. But then we wouldn't have the touching bedside scenes to advance the plot and connections between sensates.

• Like 1

There were so many things to love about this episode! Lito and Nomi's scene was really beautiful, as was Capheus and Riley's. One of the messages that I love the show is making a point of is that we have more in common than we have in our differences. I feel like a lot of people could learn a lesson from that. Even though the members of this cluster are from different countries and have lived very different lives, we all want the same things: love, security, happiness, safety, people who we can depend on. And similarly, most of us have experienced loss and heartbreak. Those are ways we can all relate to each other regardless of where we were born or the color of our skin.

I was really expecting one of the others to pop in when Lito got really despondent. I still hope that one of them will appear and help him through this. My guess is that when he sobers up a little bit (but is still pretty drunk), his brilliant idea to win Hernando back/prove himself worthy of Hernando's love will be to publicly announce to everyone that he's gay (hence taking away Joaquin's leverage) and/or try to rescue Daniela by storming into her place.

I honestly didn't expect Lito to go downhill that quickly. When they showed him eating ice cream on the balcony, I thought they were just showing us that even movie stars are the same as us when they get dumped, but then things took a huge turn.

I had to laugh as I imagined Rajan's father's reaction to his wife and Kala praying to Ganesha for him. The petty part of me hoped that he could hear them so he knows they're praying but he can't do a damn thing about it. I'm not a religious person, but he seems too intolerant of other people's beliefs. If you don't want to do something, that's fine, but insisting that other people can't do it just because you're not into it or you don't believe in it is too much for me. When his wife said that he wouldn't let her go to the temple anymore, I thought ugh, THIS GUY.

I don't know what to make of what Yrsa said about Jonas. Whaaaaaat? He and Angelica were working with Whispers?  I'm willing to believe that they saw the error of their ways and he's truly trying to help this cluster. After all, we saw that the BPO people were after Angelica and there would have been no reason for that if she were still helping them.

Interesting to hear the difference in how

On 8/20/2015 at 3:16 PM, Holmbo said:

Jonas explained to Will in the beginning of the season that other sensates can visit each other if they have had eye contact. That's why Jonas and Will could visit each other.

It's also why Sarah warned Will not to look Whispers in the eye because that's how he found her.

On 6/29/2017 at 3:05 PM, Paloma said:

I think the baby was a few months old based on my quick look at the birth and death dates. But we still don't know how they died, right? Just that Riley felt that it was her fault.

The baby was born and died on the same date.

The dates on the gravestones:

Magnus Porsson
13.4.1985 - 12.1.2008

Luna Magnusdottir
12.1.2008 - 12.1.2008

I'm guessing that Riley was driving and there was some sort of accident that killed Magnus and caused her to miscarry the baby because (1) the death dates for both Magnus and Luna were the same (2) Riley told Sven she doesn't drive anymore (3) Riley's dad told her that if she needed to go anywhere, Sven would drive her.

On 6/14/2015 at 1:47 AM, AllyB said:

(I'm also guessing that the husband was Sven's son and that's why Riley's father expected him to go to their graves with him?

At first I thought that Sven was a childhood friend who had always had a crush on Riley because when she first came home, her father said that Sven had dropped everything when he learned she was coming home. Sven doesn't look as old as Gunnar so maybe Magnus was his brother? When Riley went to visit Sven at his place, he said something like, "This is all yours," so I guess Magnus left the boat/house to her but Sven lives there since Riley fled Iceland.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 3

The concert/births scene is one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen on TV. Very well done, very well edited, the music fit perfectly. 

I agree that each birth was related to who each one of them are. I think the Nomi's birth via c-section was not to show how her mother is not warm, or disconnected from Nomi. She seems to be connected to the son she believes Nomi should be.  One can also interpret that as the mother not wanting to be part of the labor of giving birth. She is pretty selfish, and her interactions with her daughter are about her feelings, what she needs and wants, not about Nomi.