Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E16: To Ransom a Man's Soul

Athena
  • Start Topic

A desperate plan manages to free Jamie, but his wounds are more than just physical. At a nearby monastery, Claire attempts to save both Jamie's heart and soul, as his mind lingers on the torture.

Since the show is available On Demand, you may begin discussing the show once it is available on the episode date.

• Love 1
(edited)

Does the episode go up on demand at midnight?

Yes. And it goes up pretty quickly. I'll be up watching. And am now going to begin my mini-marathon. Scotch will have to wait until after dinner. Edited by Hybiscus
  • Love 2
(edited)

For my part, I thought they did a good job ith it. I am really glad they skipped the whole Jamie has sex with her part and then calls her "mother". I thought they streamlined it really well.

Edited by ulkis
(edited)

Okay I don't know how I feel about the changes they made from the book. I expected this to be a lot worse than it actually turned out to be, what with all the pearl clutching the reviewers were doing.

Immediate thoughts:

GIVE SAM HIS EMMY NOW!!!!!

I couldn't take my eyes off of him and his haunting performance. Chills. Just chills.

Cait had me in tears.

And ugh, with Black Jack's preening. The actual rape was just so gross. Meaning what he did right before he raped Jamie.

At least they didn't have Jamie choke Claire and throw her around. But I do have to admit those scenes disappointed me, in that Claire was supposed to exorcise Jamie's demons and I wanted to see that play out and well, it didn't.

And then Claire telling Jamie she was pregnant? I wanted her to put Jamie's hand on her tummy instead of just telling him. But it was soooooo nice to hear Jamie laugh and smile. But it shoulda been in private.

I'm sure I'll have more cohesive thoughts tomorrow, or rather, later today.

When does season two premiere again?

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2

I was very satisfied with the season finale.  The changes made from the book were plentiful but worked within the time constraints of one episode.  Great performances all around.  The only thing change with which I would quibble is that I don't think that made Jamie appear as physically sick as he was in the book.  His mental anguish came through but I don't know that non-book readers will realize how close he was to dying.

• Love 2

The only thing change with which I would quibble is that I don't think that made Jamie appear as physically sick as he was in the book.  His mental anguish came through but I don't know that non-book readers will realize how close he was to dying.

The lack of Jamie's physical sickness didn't bother me.  It never made a lot of sense to me in the books, since he had initially been on the road to recovery.  His mental state was much more at stake, and, as you say, this was brought out clearly.  His desire to kill himself in the tv show was just as dire his infection in the book.  Whether he dies from physical ailment or mental doesn't matter.  Dead is dead.  But the fact that it was emotional was all the more poignant, in my opinion.

• Love 4

I don't know. I'm feeling kind of...meh.

The end didn't feel weighty enough. From the point where Claire really goes in on him with the lavender to the end with the boat...I just didn't feel the desperation. It was like, "Well I want to die, but let's just sit on the floor and have a chat." Meh.

The flashbacks with Jack were very well done. Horrible and disturbing, but well executed. I'm sure he's a very nice person, but I'd really love to never, ever see Tobias again, like anywhere...on this show, on other shows, in real life. I guess that means he's a great actor? I don't know.

• Love 8

Okay I don't know how I feel about the changes they made from the book. I expected this to be a lot worse than it actually turned out to be, what with all the pearl clutching the reviewers were doing.

My feelings as well. I went in ready to be repulsed and shocked and experienced none of that.

Where was that "full body prosthetic" we were promised? :)

Far less graphic than I expected- I could have done with a bit more, even.

And I missed Claire "going into the darkness" literally/physically with Jamie.

Seems he bounced right back a bit too conveniently- almost like "OK, I'm better now."

All the time wasted in the past few eps with singing Sassanachs and hangings and so on could have been better used to fill out this period of healing IMO. It is such a pivotal stretch of time.

I was left wanting more.

I cried when Rupert kissed Claire's hand- I will desperately miss my Highland boys.

At least we still have Murtagh...

• Love 9

All the time wasted in the past few eps with singing Sassanachs and hangings and so on could have been better used to fill out this period of healing IMO. It is such a pivotal stretch of time.

Or all the time wasted flashing back in this ep. We all can imagine and intuit what happened, and that it was horrific; I didn't need the point belabored.

• Love 4
Or all the time wasted flashing back in this ep. We all can imagine and intuit what happened, and that it was horrific; I didn't need the point belabored.

I agree. I thought the opening scene implied everything you needed to know. Everything else felt gratuitous. Sam's performance was breath taking, but it was all way too much for me. And I really can't speak much for things that I've never experienced, and I'm eternally grateful that I've never experienced it, but the rape scene played off as really erotic, which made me really uncomfortable. I know the book says that Jamie responded to Randal's touch, but I never thought he got off on it, but I have a hard time reading those passages.

I'm looking forward to the return of the time traveling exploration and political intrigue! 

• Love 2

That was awesome. I was worried that they would try to emulate the opium scene from the book, and that it would come off as cheesy. But the way they did it was terrific. It didn't seem to me that Jamie was over it too soon; his face and body language in the final scenes are still haunted. The one scene I did miss from the book was the last rites - that scene always made me cry.

I must be hard and callous in my old age because the rape and torture scenes, while graphic, didn't make me clutch my pearls. I actually thought BJR would have been a gifted lover if he hadn't been batshit crazy. The look of tender concentration on his face was completely disarming. And the moment Jamie gave in just broke my heart.

This was the only episode that had a special "no, really, don't let your kids watch this" warning in addition to the alphabet soup at the beginning.

The two additional beats were brilliant: Rupert being Rupert (and Claire's exasperated, "Seriously?!") added needed humour to such a dark episode, and we end the season on Jamie's totally appropriate, incandescent smile. And I liked that other characters like Willie and Murtagh had meaningful roles in the episode, beyond being Claire's scrub nurses. It really added depth to have the whole thing not told through Claire's POV.

Given all of the expectations, and even standing on its own, this was a very satisfying season finale for me.

• Love 10

I've read all the books and I have been dreading these scenes since the show began. This is the only part of all the books that really bothers me TOO much.

I fast forwarded through the hand smashing and the nail scene last week. So some minutes, but not a huge portion of the show.

I really need to know: About how many minutes of horrible scenes do I have to ff through here?

(edited)

I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen a show where I liked the first half of the season as much as I did this one only to watch the rest of the storytelling collapse on itself in such a mess of bad pacing and weird directorial choices.  Seriously.  This episode was about 40 minutes (of albeit incredibly acted) of are you grossed out by all the rape yet? how about now? followed by another 10 of let's tack on a sort of happy ending and speed read through all these plot points you're going to need heading into season 2.  I'll give the show credit for mostly skipping over the weird opium-fueled healed by the magic vagina storyline.

Edited by nodorothyparker
  • Love 4
(edited)

I've read all the books and I have been dreading these scenes since the show began. This is the only part of all the books that really bothers me TOO much.

I fast forwarded through the hand smashing and the nail scene last week. So some minutes, but not a huge portion of the show.

I really need to know: About how many minutes of horrible scenes do I have to ff through here?

I'd say at least two of the scenes you may need to FF through.  

I've watched Rome, Spartacus, Game of Thrones, etc so not much phases me these days.  I found the first rape scene most uncomfortable, but watched it.  The second I became fascinated by how BJR was using Claire and focused more on that. 

I liked the episode for the most part, I cried at some parts.  I liked the humor relief at the end with Angus and all that.  It was nice to see Jamie smile again, Sam brought it.  

The torture of Jamie by BJR was one of my least favorite parts of the books, and it was toned down for the show.  I'll be happy to move past him in the story.  (There is already a book bashing post in the non reader thread. I expect more.)

Edited by ihartcoffee
  • Love 4
(edited)

I don't know. I'm feeling kind of...meh.

The end didn't feel weighty enough. From the point where Claire really goes in on him with the lavender to the end with the boat...I just didn't feel the desperation. It was like, "Well I want to die, but let's just sit on the floor and have a chat." Meh.

The flashbacks with Jack were very well done. Horrible and disturbing, but well executed. I'm sure he's a very nice person, but I'd really love to never, ever see Tobias again, like anywhere...on this show, on other shows, in real life. I guess that means he's a great actor? I don't know.

It will take me a while to sort out my feelings about the episode, but this was kind of my response as well. Based on what Kristin Dos Santos and others said, I expected a big payoff at the end, but I actually wasn't very moved by the scene on the boat or even when Jamie hugs Claire for the first time. Maybe because those scenes weren't earned, IMO. The recovery came too fast. I am often highly critical of the books, but I do think that DG did something brilliant in having Claire impersonate Randall so that Jamie can finally fight back. I have some quibbles with it -- having Jamie actually rape Randall in the person of Claire strikes me as gratuitous, though I think a case can be made for it -- but I buy that it was what made it possible for him to take back his personhood and stop thinking of himself as a powerless victim. It also revealed to him that his arousal during the rape was an involuntary bodily response provoked by manipulation and self-imposed passivity. Moore and Co.'s adaptation did not do justice to this crucial step on Jamie's road to recovery. I did like Jamie's saying that it felt good to experience something other than pain. I don't recall whether that is in the book.

Romance novels often end with the heroine announcing she's pregnant. It serves as the confirmation that the hero and heroine are definitely meant to be together, which I find incredibly irritating and borderline sexist. I know that the revelation is in the book and happens at the very end, but I have never found it satisfying. The lovemaking that precedes it is much more important in signalling that Randall has not succeeded in destroying their love and commitment. It certainly never made me say "ah, that's so great. How perfect." It seems to me that setting off for France to change history is plenty thrilling and hopeful as a demonstration that Claire and Jamie are meant to be together -- true partners with an ambition that transcends their union but also confirms that their connection is based in part on a mutual commitment to making a difference in the world, to viewing their own lives in the context of history and the suffering and potential of human beings.

I'm not saying this well. As I said, I haven't sorted out my feelings yet. I will end on a positive note and say that if there is better acting taking place in film or television right now, I haven't seen it.

Edited by AD55
  • Love 8

I guess it depends on what bothers you.  If it's violence in any form, then one scene,early on.  If it's male/male sexual content, then two.  If it's watching characters you've come to love laid completely open emotionally, then you might better off reading the recap.  Honestly, it's very uncomfortable, and meant to be so.  

In the book, two things destroy Jamie:  the fact that he keeps his word and surrenders without a fight, and the fact that BJR summons Claire in the midst to taint Jamie's memory of her (which is a total tool move on his part, since Jamie will never lie with Claire again, as he's going to be dead as soon as the Redcoats are done raising their flag; BJR intends to take away every comforting memory for Jamie in his last moments, not ruin his future relationship with her).  The show chose to deal with the second, and not the first, so there's no "Fight back!" redemption scene.  They concentrate on the "Claire will never forgive you," aspect, which Claire could repair, nicely book-ended by her confession to the monk.   

• Love 8
(edited)

I am often highly critical of the books, but I do think that DG did something brilliant in having Claire impersonate Randall so that Jamie can finally fight back. I have some quibbles with it -- having Jamie actually rape Randall in the person of Claire strikes me as gratuitous, though I think a case can be made for it -- but I buy that it was what made it possible for him to take back his personhood...

I'm glad they cut that out, b/c frankly I don't think there's much support for role-playing as a rapist as a therapy for rape victims. But maybe I'm wrong.

Edited by annlaw78
  • Love 5
I'm trying to remember if I've ever seen a show where I liked the first half of the season as much as I did this one only to watch the rest of the storytelling collapse on itself in such a mess of bad pacing and weird directorial choices.

To be fair, I felt the same way while reading the book. The first half was such a fun adventure, and then, suddenly I started to hate every direction it turned. Although, I agree that the pacing of the second half didn't do the story any favors. I'm still not over Claire's abrupt "Frank who?"

• Love 3

Overall, I liked the episode, but I have learned a few lessons.  I went into this episode with so many preconceived ideas, but this time it was NOT because I read the books.  It was because of all the hype from Kristin dos Santos.  So, all I could think about was.....when is that "too horrible" moment and when is the big payoff.  Had I seen the episode without all the hype, I think I would like it better.

Next season I will take her spoilers totally with a grain of salt.  I know she's a fan, but she must also be getting a few bucks on the side by sensationalizing the show to attract viewers.  This material is deep enough all by itself without her warnings.  

Tonight, I will watch again, but only after wiping my mental slate clean of all that!

• Love 3
(edited)

To be fair, I felt the same way while reading the book. The first half was such a fun adventure, and then, suddenly I started to hate every direction it turned. Although, I agree that the pacing of the second half didn't do the story any favors. I'm still not over Claire's abrupt "Frank who?"

I guess she's (understandably) all in for Jamie now, but I would have expected a little pause or voiceover that she's putting an ocean (well, the Channel, but there's no Chunnel back then) between her the magic stones and her way back to her time/old life.

Edited by annlaw78
  • Love 1
(edited)

I just clicked On Demand and saw the "WARNING: we're really not kidding this time, campers!" which made me tense up instead of say "yeah, yeah" like I do with GoT or Spartacus.  Then, they open on Jamie and BJR the morning after and I had such foreboding and pearl-clutching feelings that I had to share them with someone.  Since hubby's out gardening and DD is still asleep (teens, argh) I thought I would come share my feelings with you guys since you would understand.  

I can absolutely see why the non-book readers are setting up the torch and pitchfork mob.  I knew when I read the book in 1991 that it was following tons of rapey romance novel tropes but it was so engrossing that I just cringed and kept reading; when you're reading you can skip/skim things like the Wentworth scenes.  To see it all onscreen, and we don't get a say in what we get to see onscreen except for the FF button, is almost overwhelming.  I just got a view of Little BJR and while I say Emmys all around, I really didn't need to know Tobias that well.

And, onward, to the play button. Wish me luck! 

ETA:

Holy crap.  I finished the ep and can I reiterate: Emmys all around.  Sam deserves all the awards.  I did have to mute the two big scenes and watch through my fingers, though.  I'm glad they dropped the magic healing through sex angle.  I thought they sort of hit the bases with a little fighting back, a little forgiveness, and then getting rid of the brand.  

I have loved this show and feel they have done an incredible job of adapting the book.  The first half of the season was stellar but it seems that the second half suffered from terrible pacing.  This episode suffered, particularly, from them spending so much time on the wandering minstrels that too much of the plot was left for the last episode.

I wonder if they had problems because when you pull the main plot points out that must be hit to keep the story going they are pretty dark in the second half.  After Lallybroch, it's not as cute and quippy and the angst isn't really leavened by fun bits.  Also, if they had pushed more into the first half of the season in order to spread out the dark parts of the second half, the first half might have seems overfilled and rushed.  The reveal of time travel and the choice at the stones was a perfect break point, but then how do you go from dark to dark to dark in the second half?  I see their problem and why they would give more time to Murtagh and Claire traveling around, as well as just wanting more of Murtagh because he's awesome, I just don't think they balanced it as well as it could have been.

I absolutely second the motion that this episode could have benefited from a two hour running time.

Edited by bookworm
  • Love 4
(edited)

Within the time constraints, it was well done. I think this episode could've really benefited from having two hours. Tremendous acting.

I need to let it marinate...there were definitely things I missed, mostly dialog, especially the discussions about his soul, how he was building a roof back over it (can't remember details). I was also waiting for Claire to put his hand on her stomach.

And yeah, I'm not going to listen to Kristen anymore...

Edited by AheadofStraight
  • Love 5

Thoughts still jumbled but I do want to say I loved the Highland Cattle!

And I really wish I knew how to speak Gaelic because I wanted to know what Murtagh and Jamie were saying.

The lack of translation annoyed me too. It made sense in the beginning of the series to show what an outlander Claire truly was, not being able to understand the highlanders. But in that scene Claire wasn't even in the room. Maybe I'm just mad because I think Murtagh is all kinds of awesome and I want to know what he was saying!

• Love 2

Thoughts still jumbled but I do want to say I loved the Highland Cattle!

And I really wish I knew how to speak Gaelic because I wanted to know what Murtagh and Jamie were saying.

I'm really looking forward to the Great Scot blog with the translations.

• Love 2

Now that I've watched the episode twice, I have to say that the scene that brought tears to my eyes was when Willie was watching the boat row out to sea.  Angus and Rupert had already moved on but you could tell Willie was really going to miss Jamie, Claire, and Murtaugh.  It was a beautiful shot.

• Love 5
(edited)

Romance novels often end with the heroine announcing she's pregnant. It serves as the confirmation that the hero and heroine are definitely meant to be together, which I find incredibly irritating and borderline sexist. I know that the revelation is in the book and happens at the very end, but I have never found it satisfying. The lovemaking that precedes it is much more important in signalling that Randall has not succeeded in destroying their love and commitment. It certainly never made me say "ah, that's so great. How perfect." It seems to me that setting off for France to change history is plenty thrilling and hopeful as a demonstration that Claire and Jamie are meant to be together -- true partners with an ambition that transcends their union but also confirms that their connection is based in part on a mutual commitment to making a difference in the world, to viewing their own lives in the context of history and the suffering and potential of human beings.

I'm not saying this well. As I said, I haven't sorted out my feelings yet. I will end on a positive note and say that if there is better acting taking place in film or television right now, I haven't seen it.

No, I get what you're saying. I don't think they could have gotten rid of the pregnancy though. And I suppose some of the trope of well everything is great now she's pregnant is a bit undone by - spoiler warning for those who haven't read book 2 -

she miscarries.

I did like Jamie's saying that it felt good to experience something other than pain. I don't recall whether that is in the book.

It's not.

Edited by ulkis

Just saw it.  I haven't read your prior comments.  I will after I watch it again.  I just had to say that I loved it.  And I'm certain I will love it more on the second viewing when I can stop playing the "are they gonna show ______?" game that, as a reader, I fall victim to.

But let me just say I was WRONG!  They included the Heilan Coos!  Tulach Ard!  That was fabulous.

So . . . the time-travel paradox discussion should be breaking out any time now in the "unsullied" thread over Jack's apparent death.  Poor wee lambs.

• Love 3
(edited)

No, I get what you're saying. I don't think they could have gotten rid of the pregnancy though. And I suppose some of the trope of well everything is great now she's pregnant is a bit undone by - spoiler warning for those who haven't read book 2 - she miscarries.

It was

actually a stillbirth.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 2
(edited)

No, I get what you're saying. I don't think they could have gotten rid of the pregnancy though. And I suppose some of the trope of well everything is great now she's pregnant is a bit undone by - spoiler warning for those who haven't read book 2 - she miscarries.

It's not.

I agree that they could not have gotten rid of the pregnancy even if they'd wanted to as it plays a pivotal role in the future books. I guess I just would have liked it to carry less weight, which I think it does because the recovery is somewhat rushed. In the book, it feels more like something lovely that comes after Jamie's healing and the rebuilding of his relationship with Claire is well under way. I do agree with the comment up thread that Sam's portrayal of Jamie's happiness is subdued and somewhat tentative, which felt right. They really could not have asked for better actors, and Anna Foerster's direction was spot on. I would like to hear her do commentary.

The episode didn't live up to my expectations -- for me, the sum is not greater than the whole of its parts. But many of those parts were great:

--The opening shot was crushing but oddly beautiful. A lesser actor would have stared blankly, but Sam conveys Jamie's feeling of emptiness -- he shows the viewer that Jamie is still in there even as he convinces us that Jamie believes himself to be irretrievably broken.

--The rescue was thrilling but also brilliantly efficient. I loved that the door simply falls on Randall and the camera doesn't dwell. Murtagh's quick "is the bastard dead?" glance is the kind of small but telling moment that this show does so well. Oh, Murtagh, if only. When are people going to realize you need to shoot RH in the head to be sure?

--Loved the scenes between Murtagh and Claire.

--Am touched that Willie is trying so hard to be a grownup, but he can't help putting his foot in his mouth. The brilliance of the casting for every single character continues to amaze me.

--The Gaelic scene between Jamie and Murtagh was perfect. I like that Foerster pulled the camera back instead of using shot reverse shot. I am actually glad I didn't know what they were saying because it made Murtagh's angry reference to Claire more dramatic. Kind of like the way Claire understands Dougal's "long live the Stuarts." Catching that one word was enough for me. Duncan's furious delivery convinced me that mentioning Claire wasn't simply a tactic to persuade Jamie he has a responsibility to live but also an expression of how much Murtagh has come to respect and care for her. She's the woman not a lassie that Jamie needs.

--The abbey was gorgeously shot, especially Jamie's room. So stark and beautiful -- stripped bare like Jamie's soul.

I am sure other things will occur to me when I watch the episode again. I'm also prepared to like it more. There were a couple of episodes that I was unimpressed with when I first watched them, but which I came to appreciate or even love after subsequent viewings.

Edited by AD55
  • Love 6
(edited)

One of the few fourtunate things about not being on Eastern time zone is that when Starz released the episodes On Demand and on Play at midnight ET, it is 11pm here, and also available. So I was able to watch before I went to sleep on my Kindle Fire.

RDM made clear some time back that they had to tell for story for television and stay with the spirit of the book as it was impossible to stick with the book with 16 episodes. So I have to make allowances for that reality with ther adaptation. I read Diana's "Message from the Author" when she posted it on her social media accounts, and DG nailed it completely as to what the reader/viewer should do in approaching the story. (Given DG's comment that in the script writing process, her discussion with the writing team still got 90% of what she wanted and that she was pleased with the final result that we saw just about sums up what my feelings are.

This part of the Outlander saga is perhaps its most difficult in the entire book series to date. There have been some others in later books as well, but the impact of the Wentworth Prison arc echos through the series (and the characters' lives for years.) And Anna Forester and Ron D Moore (and I'll add Bear McCreary) as well as Sam, Caite, and Tobias executed this story as well as it possibly could have been. (I'm not ignoring the other actors, I just don't have time ATM to list them all) The acting was phenominal. From a performance viewpoint, I couldn't have asked for more, not even from the herd of cattle who made their entrance into Wentworth Prison a thing to behold.

I will note something that Bear McCreary apparently did, and I look forward to seeing him explain it on his blog. The version of Raya's vocals on "The Skye Boat Song" over the opening credits was a more somber vocal, that the usual vocals, which we got to hear over the closing credits. With that and that most somber parental advisory at the beginning really set the tone for the episode. If they were trying to make it any clearer how difficult a story we were seeing in 1.16, those were two cues that were used to make sure the viewer got the message.

And yes, I agree that we'll miss the Highlander gang, although if we're following the books, they'll be seen again. I do agree that DG does need to bring Willie back before the book series ends, as he obviously looked up to Jamie and respected Claire, and perhaps was the least cynical of the bunch that helped rescue Jamie.

I'll rewatch tonight at the usual time, so I may have more thoughts after a second viewing.

Edited by theschnauzers
  • Love 5

I really liked the episode, it hit almost all of the emotional points that I was hoping for. I've always felt that the best adaptations don't try to keep all the details of a story and instead focus on the characters emotions, relationships, and major events. This had Jamie getting rescued, although wishing for death, and Claire getting him to choose life instead. Reducing Jamie's physical injuries helped focus on that too. And I like the boat at a visual for moving forward at the end.

Willie is such a good friend to Claire, thanks for telling her what Jamie said.

The look on Rupert's face when they find Jamie in the cell is heartbreaking.

Everything in the flashbacks was very well done, and very hard to watch. All the actors are so good in this.

• Love 3

So many good comments in here!   I was expecting worse as far as graphic stuff, but what was presented was enough to convey the horror Jamie went through.  I will not be surprised if there are a lot of "extras" for that encounter that get used as flashbacks for Jamie in the future seasons, so I doubt the viewers (and Jamie) are really done with it either, visually.

The acting was excellent all around.  I'd call for Emmy noms for everyone but since those are not necessarily granted only on merit, I would not be surprised if this show gets completely overlooked next month.  I would be very happy to be proven wrong, of course.

I'm on board with the idea that this episode suffered from a lack of time left to adequately tell the complicated story of how damaged and destroyed Jamie was mentally and physically after his rescue, and what it took to drag him back into wanting to live again.  This whole section of the book is very intense and has a lot of internal dialogue for Claire on how to heal Jamie's body and soul and how to make sense of her choice to stay with Jamie in 1743 and not return to her previous life in 1945(6).  It also covers several weeks at the Abbey while Jamie heals, yet this episode doesn't feel like it was more than a couple days for Jamie to be well enough to get on a ship and cross the channel, so I felt it was just wrapped up too pat and easy, after a little chat, a little struggle and a couple of confessions.   There just should have been a bigger battle of the wills between Jamie's giving up and wanting to die vs. Claire's determination to not let that happen.  I wanted that room wrecked!

• Love 2

It also covers several weeks at the Abbey while Jamie heals, yet this episode doesn't feel like it was more than a couple days for Jamie to be well enough to get on a ship and cross the channel, so I felt it was just wrapped up too pat and easy, after a little chat, a little struggle and a couple of confessions.   There just should have been a bigger battle of the wills between Jamie's giving up and wanting to die vs. Claire's determination to not let that happen.  I wanted that room wrecked!

This reminds me that I appreciated the information that Claire has been in the C18th for 8 months. They evidently did stick with the book's timeline. This makes it reasonable to assume Claire and Jamie go to the stones near Beltane.

I agree with the comments about adaptation. Overly reverential adaptations are usually not very good,  and I think that this show succeeds way more than it fails.

• Love 3

I will say that I felt like I was bait and switched with the scenes where Claire's face superimposed over Randall's and vice versa. I thought they'd be during the time when Claire was trying to be Randall to get Jamie to fight back. Not Randall using Claire to break Jamie. But, I'm not angry. Because the look on Jamie's face, the utter desolation and curling his body within himself more than made up for it.

On a side note, was it just me or did it sound like Sam had a cold in some of the scenes?

Not gonna lie-I'm watching Quantum Leap right now because although this wasn't close to being as difficult to watch as I'd been led to believe, I need more time before rewatching.

I'm definitely staying spoiler free/not gonna read anything ANY of the reviewers have to say next season. Dos Santos? did no one any favors with her OMG!OMG! Never gone there before pearl clutching.

• Love 4
(edited)

I agree with the comments about adaptation. Overly reverential adaptations are usually not very good,  and I think that this show succeeds way more than it fails.

This probably belongs in the whole season 1 thread but I do want to say that, overall the show runners did an excellent job adapting the book and told a good story that moved forward, built up characters and their goals, and set up a good start to next season. Their edits, condensations, tweaks and additions have made this a good stand alone series, IMO, and I would have been impressed by it for what it was on screen if I was coming into it dark, I think.   As a book reader I'm glad I know the details behind choices made and actions taken by the main characters that might be missed (or misunderstood) by those who aren't readers.  I would say the same for another book series to film that I like - Hunger Games.  There were things I would have wanted to see onscreen that never appeared, but the lack of them does not disappoint me in either filmed series as a whole. 

Edited by Glaze Crazy
  • Love 3

I thought this episode was done beautifully. More than any other episode in the season, it focuses on Jamie and Claire's love and total devotion and sacrifice for each other. When BJR is trying to break Jamie, no amount of pain, humiliation, or threat of death will cause him to submit until... Claire is brought into it. BJR's line "what hold does she have over you?" says everything. She is Jamie's heart and soul, and his weakness. It isn't until he imagines that Claire is with him in the room that he fully surrenders himself. It has nothing to do with BJR in that moment.

This is mirrored in the healing. Nothing will bring him back from the pit of hell until Claire tells him she will die with him if he takes his own life. The threat of her death snaps him back to himself. He gave himself up to save her life in the last episode, and now he sets aside his own misery and self-hatred when he feels her life is in danger again. He is willing to die for her and willing to come back to life for her. 

Aside from all the lovely-dovey stuff, there was some other great moments: the thunder of the cows coming toward the prison door and BJR's look of WTF (though I hope no cows were injured in that scene, lots of horns in a small space). Claire's confession to Father Anselm and his thought that it is a miracle rather than assuming she's just bat shit crazy. Murtagh and Jamie speaking in Gaelic without subtitles... I totally got the gist of it from their emotions and facial expressions. Lavender oil... Jamie will have a sense memory of that smell forever. The discussion of what the future holds, and Jamie's line "change the future, the two of us?" Also, the shot of the boat at the end was just gorgeous.

One thing that's interesting... it seems that book readers don't understand all the media hype leading into the episode. It wasn't as graphic as it could have been. However, some non-book readers seem to think it is over the top graphic and "torture porn," so all the warnings might have been appropriate for anyone who didn't know what to expect. It's all in the perspective. I probably would have appreciated a few warnings before I read it the first time.

• Love 8

I definitely wish books had more warnings and don't understand why they don't. I read a lot of historical fiction and some of them are fine and some of them are super graphic.

I'm glad Willie is still around. Since he was a show only creation I was wondering if they were gonna kill him off to up the tension a bit.

• Love 1
(edited)

I guess she's (understandably) all in for Jamie now, but I would have expected a little pause or voiceover that she's putting an ocean (well, the Channel, but there's no Chunnel back then) between her the magic stones and her way back to her time/old life.

I never got the impression in the books that she and Frank were all that emotionally connected.  Claire says in the books and in the series voiceovers that sex was their connection.  While many couples pursue some different interests and have rich mutually supportive relationships, it never seemed to be there for Claire and Frank.  They seemed to live side by side instead of "together."

Remember in the first episode where Frank asks her if she had strayed during the war, and he tells her it would be understandable if she did. His manner implies that he has and thinks not much of it and is ok with it if she has.  He loves her, but he doesn't have that connective feeling that would prevent him from an inability to "share." He probably would have been very content to have the open marriage of the 60's and 70's where wife swapping was in fashion..

This is in direct contrast to the relationship of Claire and Jamie, where he has dedicated himself to her body and soul.  It is a stronger connection and that is why she chooses Jamie.

Edited by Geillis
  • Love 4
(edited)

Right.  Here’s my analysis of the episode without looking at any postings here first.  Anyone who thinks I have a tendency to long-windedness might want to just skip right over this one.

THE GOOD

Let me just start off by saying everything Sam Heughan did in this episode was amazing but especially the scenes in the dungeon.  Just give the man an Emmy now.

They showed the stampede of the heilan coos!  YAY!  And I am SO happy the writers addressed my one reservation about them, which was the seemingly huge plot hole of “why does no one see them bringing the cattle in?”  Staging the break-in during the morning color-raising, complete with drums, gives me just enough to cheerfully suspend disbelief.

The slow reveal of Jack lying on the bed next to the stunned Jamie was a masterful bit of direction.  All hail Anna Foerster!

I thought Jamie reminding Jack that he owed him a debt was good writing.  It felt true. And it is clear to me that Jack was going to pay that debt – was going to give Jamie the death he wanted –were it not for the arrival of the rescue herd.

The sounds dept did a great job in that opening scene, from the remote banging that distracts Jack, to the growing rumble of “something” happening, to the sounds of the stampede and then – cue the bagpipes!  That musical cue reminded me so much of episode 101 right after the redcoat shoots at Claire.  Loved it.

The look of pity on Rupert’s face when he sees Jamie was very well done.

Murtagh’s posture as he carries Jamie out was a thing of beauty.  He refused to be bowed under that burden. It reminded me of what Connie Verzak said at the end of her photo recap of episode 115, “If you have a Murtagh, never leave him behind. ALWAYS TAKE A MURTAGH.”

I’m going to say again how grateful I am to everyone involved in filming the cattle.  I heard from a behind-the-scenes video for Game of Thrones that any scene involving horses takes five times as long to film.  I can only imagine what it was like to film the stampede (though I feel certain those were professional cowboys that were in the close shots with the cattle and of course no one was trying to deliver any lines during those scenes.)  I can’t wait to hear about that scene in the podcast.

Oh good, Jack’s dead.  (If only.)

At first I was confused at the decision to put Claire back in her trews from “The Search” but now I realize it was so that she looked that much more like Black Jack.  Her hair was in a low ponytail like his as well.  Clever, clever costume & hair people!  And of course it made sense in terms of the plot – we know she has those clothes and they certainly make it easier for Claire to ride and climb into the wagon.

The casting of Brother Anselm was excellent.

Loved that Jamie totally bogarted Black Jack’s flask.

I hesitate to say this because it was somewhat heavy-handed, but the “Pieta” imagery of Jamie lying in Jack’s lap, just before Jack likens Jamie’s resolve to suffer without fighting back to Christ’s passion on the cross – well that evoked a strong reaction in me, as intended.

Thank you to whoever was responsible for Jamie gulping down the laudanum and being unconscious for the bone setting.  Just, thank you.

So, did anyone else notice that the splint they used for Jamie’s hand is a monk’s sandal?  Ingenious!

Loved the subtle hints that Claire is pregnant – vomiting after leaving Jamie, placing her hand on her stomach after she recovers from fainting.  Easy to miss but they’re there like Easter eggs when you look on the second go-round.

I’m happy that Willie had so much to do in this episode since he’s the whole reason Claire has the help of Rupert and Angus.  I thought his scene with Jamie was very well done.

I loved the scene between Murtagh and Jamie in Gaelic.  I did not need sub-titles.  I just knew what they were saying.  And if I had had any doubts, they were cleared up when Claire confronted Murtagh.

As a reader I struggled a bit with the changes from the book but I do think that the writers’ decision to focus on the psychological torture of Jack having co-mingled Jamie’s thoughts of Claire with thoughts of Jack was a good decision.  It makes perfect sense to me that a man like Jamie would not be ashamed of having broken under physical torture, but he WOULD experience deep shame over the “betrayal” he committed in his own mind when he attempted to mentally escape from that torture by imagining Claire.

Hooray for Willie asking about Claire’s relatives in France.  Smart lad, him.  Nice to see someone remembers her back-story.

As a reader I also struggled with Jamie’s sudden recovery.  There was no fighting back against the specter of Jack Randall in an opium-enhanced fever dream. It was hard to let go of that.  What I’ve come to accept that is that it was the confession to Claire that did the trick – that’s how he mastered the feelings of shame that were making him want to die.  That also explains to me why we had the whole scene with Brother Anselm.  In my first viewing I thought it made no sense that Claire would tell him her story.  But now I’ve concluded that after Claire confessed she felt much better and that’s what gave her the idea that she had to get Jamie to unburden his soul as well.  But Jamie being Jamie, a more forceful approach was needed, followed rapidly by an appeal to his love for Claire.  He may not have wanted to live but if killing himself will kill Claire too, well then, he’ll make himself go on living.  In the end, it worked for me.

And we have yet another scene of bare-chested Jamie, lit by fire-light.  There can never be too many of those.

Claire’s goodbyes to Willie, Angus and Rupert were perfect, as was Murtagh’s “Piss off, the lot of ye.”

At first I thought “Why the hell is Jamie wearing that hat in the row-boat?”  But then I realized that it’s the hat Claire wore in The Search and they had to cobble together a wardrobe for him from what they had.  Makes sense.  But he looked dumb so let’s never see it again.

LOVED the final shot of our hero and heroine on the ship.  Thank you to the powers that be for spending the money to get that.

THE BAD

When Murtagh carries Jamie out of the prison through that door that scene screamed “Green Screen.”

The blood on Jamie’s hand when he is carried into the monastery is too red.  It should be dried and caked, not bright red like it he is actively bleeding.  Similarly in the very last scene the make-up on Jamie’s thumb makes it look black – like he has gangrene.  And he involuntarily moves the thumb right after Claire tells him about the baby – which shouldn’t have been possible given that it was supposed to be splinted.

The reveal of the brand works the first time you see the episode but if you watch it a second time you will find yourself looking for it and finding it impossible to believe that Claire didn’t see it sooner. 

Claire tells Brother Anselm that she came through the stones eight months ago.  EIGHT?  I cooked up a time-line in one of the discussion threads earlier this week and that statement makes NO sense to me.  I call Shenanigans!

Claire tells Brother Anselm that everything is her fault.  How is ANYTHING her fault?  If she hadn’t come through the stones, Jamie would have likely died on the ride home that night when his wound went untended.  Yeah her getting captured by Black Jack did bring to his attention the fact that Jamie, the “striped-back lad” was back in Scotland but Jack’s unholy obsession with Jamie is the only reason Jamie is still alive.  Jamie’s return to Lallybroch, his ride with The Watch, his capture by the Redcoats in the ambush that Horrocks set up, his re-capture later on – how is any of that Claire’s fault?  That was a dumb line.

Why is Claire acting all uncertain about telling Jamie about the baby?  That seemed off to me.  Of course he’s happy.  It actually makes no sense that she didn’t tell him sooner as it would have given him yet another reason to live.

THE ULGY

The first time I watched, when we got to the special image under the writers in the opening credits I thought to myself “what’s that thing on the left?”  The second time I watched I recognized that thing on the left (the stamp Black Jack uses to brand Jamie) and positively shuddered.

When Black Jack “booped” Jamie’s nose and said “I know you can do better” – well that was positively nauseating.

Actually, everything Jack does in that dungeon is ugly.  No need to repeat it here.  It was just brutal.

The bone-setting was also really ugly but I thought it was realistic and very well done. 

OTHER RANDOM THOUGHTS

The special warning absolutely sent a chill down my spine.  But it also confused me.  How is it that the standard warning that preceded it did not say “Rape.”  Is male rape not considered worthy of a rape warning?  And they call that “brief nudity?”  I suspect there must be some really arcane rules behind those “ratings.”

I think the decision to NOT have Jamie lashed and damaged as he was in the book was a good one because Sam would have had to just lie there for most of the episode.  That being said, where were the full-body prosthetics that someone leaked info on a few weeks ago?  I call Shenanigans.

I think the decision to move the abbey scenes to Scotland was really smart.  It accelerated everything (which we needed) and sets the show up to end the season on a hopeful and life-altering image – the ship sailing to France.

Jack wanted Jamie to brand himself over his heart.  Jamie defies him and presses the brand into his left side over – what?  His spleen?  His pancreas? I think we need the Outlander Anatomist to weigh in here.

When Murtagh says to Claire, regarding Jamie’s death wish, “He’s been tortured, raped, isn’t that reason enough?” and she says “No” – when he responds “Aye” I got the distinct impression that Murtagh thinks Claire has experienced torture and rape. He know she “took a few blows” at the hands of Black Jack but I wonder if it is intended that Murtagh and Angus and Rupurt believe that she was raped in that episode in the glen with the deserters.

I’m assuming that Cristobel is the real name of the ship they used in the final scene and that Murtagh saying its name and the showing of the name on the stern on-screen is part of the compensation that was demanded in return for its use in the show.  That ship is going to be a lot more popular now.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 6

Right.  Here’s my analysis of the episode without looking at any postings here first.  Anyone who thinks I have a tendency to long-windedness might want to just skip right over this one.

If I could robot like this post, I would. Awesome analysis and attention to detail. I just finished rewatching the episode, and I am completely over my initial disappointment. All the parts I liked during the first viewing were magnified and others that I missed came to the fore. I should have learned by now to reserve judgment as I have liked all the episodes, even the ones I already adored, more on subsequent viewings. The writing and direction are so good that I always miss stuff the first time through. I shudder to think how many times I'll watch each episode in the months before season 2. I'll be able to recite every line by next April and, man, they'd better not make us wait longer than that.

I could have used the standard "no animals were hurt during the filming of this episode" disclaimer. Also, I've been watching the credits carefully for months now and I have not seen anyone credited as horse wrangler. Steven Dent seems to do practically every film and TV show with horses, and sure enough, I visited his website and there's a picture of Murtagh on horseback. Horses are all over this series. How come Dent doesn't get a mention? And yup, I'm still in my adolescent horsey stage.

• Love 3
(edited)

I have never worked so hard to avoid spoilers as I have in the last 48 hours. I was like a kid trying to avoid shaking the gifts under the Christmas tree. I basically avoided most of the internet for 2 days.

Totally worth it. I so appreciated not knowing how this episode was going to go down. But it's nice to reenter the internet and discuss again. :)

FINALLY we have some scenes that show the depth of Claire and Jamie's love. I've been waiting for that all season, and it really took steps to make up for the miscue that was the weak stones scene.

I would pay a couple bucks for a Gaelic translator to tell me what Jamie and Murtagh were talking about. At the same time, I love that it wasn't shown on captions. Much more compelling.

Sam gets on the credit on this episode. Well, Cait too. She was pretty stellar. But Sam - wow. He didn't even need any dialogue. You knew where he was coming from by just looking into his eyes.

I think the pacing was wonderful. The episode structure - it exceeded my expectations. I think I set the bar a bit low to protect myself, especially knowing Ron co-wrote it (I see that Ira Steven Behr did too - bless him). But the laughter with Angus and Rupert at the end was perfectly timed.

I join Jamie at the end: I'm happy. This was a strong way to end the season. I'm glad they didn't go further than they did (i.e. DIA): 1) It would have been too much whiplash for non-book readers, and 2) That last scene needed to stand by itself. Introducing DIA might have diminished the importance of Jamie and Claire's bonding. 

Well done, everyone.

Edited by Dust Bunny
  • Love 1

I wrote above:

Jack wanted Jamie to brand himself over his heart.  Jamie defies him and presses the brand into his left side over – what?  His spleen?  His pancreas? I think we need the Outlander Anatomist to weigh in here.

And then I tweeted her.  She tweeted back.

Organs near the brand: spleen, left colic flexure, tail of pancreas, L. costodiaphragmatic recess for L. Lung. Heart not near!

So.  Now you know.

By the way, her Outlander-based anatomy lessons are really entertaining.  You can find her on twitter at @OutLandAnatomy