Type keyword(s) to search

Jurassic World (2015)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Speaking of upsetting deaths, in the usual "kill hundreds of people and no one cries, but kill one dog and everyone collapses in grief" manner, I was a bit embarrasses at not only tearing up when Charlie died, but when they were comforting that brontosaurus who was suffering.  I literally had to keep reminding myself that it was a dinosaur--completely computer generated--and not a real person or animal.  I love Chris Pratt and this character, but I understand the critiques of him not being quite right in the role.  For me, he has charming and funny down to a T, but, imo, he needs a bit more work on tough and macho.  But, damn, did he sell me on how much he cared for those dinosaurs!

I was a bit of a mess during that scene too. And then I further embarrassed myself when they did the long shot of the field and showed that another FIVE of them had been slaughtered. Inside I was wailing "nooo!"

You can add me to this list. It makes me feel so much better to know I'm not alone in tearing up a bit when brontosaurus as well as the other 5. I got a bit [obviously irrationally overly concerned] about the babysauruses (babysauri?) And now that everyone is pointing out that it's just Blue and Rexie, Shamuasauraus, the babies and a bunch of herbivores I'm just going to imagine that somehow they survive until the JP 5 by eating the goats, cows and other animals brought in for feeding and hibernating. There must be a farm somewhere on the island.

I can't watch JP2. Not because it's that bad, but because of how they herded, caged and tied up the dinosaurs. 

• Love 3

I think the only part of the movie which pissed me off was when Claire was talking to her sister and she says something about "if" she has kids and the sister is all "no, WHEN".

I got more of a vibe where it was something they had talked about and Claire was kind of bummed, that she wanted kids but wouldn't have any because she'd never meet anyone or she worked too much or whatever and her sister wanted her to be positive about it.

You can add me to this list. It makes me feel so much better to know I'm not alone in tearing up a bit when brontosaurus as well as the other 5.

Me as well.  Then later I actually feel badly for velociraptors!  About JP2, I didn't like the dog getting eaten either and it's one of the few things I remember about that, along with the idiocy of dinosaur in the city, which wasn't in the book. 

Regarding the kids, I thought Lex and Tim were annoying.  Tim's hero worship of Dr. Grant boarded on creepy (or maybe it was just the way the kid actor stared and smiled at him) and Lex was bossy big sister, even being smart and brave.  I do like their teamwork in the kitchen scene.  So in Jurassic World, the kid characters didn't bother me, though I missed that the younger was supposed to be some kind of genius, I just thought he was into dinosaurs.  The older brother acted like most would in that situation and came through for his little brother so I was OK with it. 

because of how they herded, caged and tied up the dinosaurs.

I don't like that stuff either.  Didn't like in this one seeing kids riding little dinos; I thought they were babies who should be with their moms but maybe they were designed smaller?  Still didn't like it and I don't think we as viewers were supposed to see it as cute.

Now with you all talking about people leaving the island, I can worry about the little ones, are they stuck in the pen, can they get out, are their others locked inside somewhere, how will they eat/drink - argh!

I liked that they didn't turn the park owner into a villain.  He thought that everyone should be able to see and enjoy the dinosaurs, and was concerned with the dangers that the I Rex posed.  The park making money for him, was low on his priorities.

And thank you movie for not jobbing out the T Rex.  That's the star of the franchise, and continues to own your soul.  That's not something you job out, looking in your direction Jurassic Park 3.

Yeah. Masrani perhaps might have benefited from having more people willing to tell him "no," but at least his heart was in the right place and he was trying to help right up to the end.

Ditto on the Rexy love. If anything I thought she should have made a better showing against the similarly-sized I-Rex as she was mature, had been in life-and-death fights before, and hadn't been clubbed by ankylosaurs and nearly fried by a missile launcher earlier that day. I get that non-vital shots with small arms fire wasn't lethal to it, but the thing isn't frickin' Godzilla, being hit multiple times and knocked into trees would have had some effect.

Ditto on the Rexy love. If anything I thought she should have made a better showing against the similarly-sized I-Rex as she was mature, had been in life-and-death fights before, and hadn't been clubbed by ankylosaurs and nearly fried by a missile launcher earlier that day. I get that non-vital shots with small arms fire wasn't lethal to it, but the thing isn't frickin' Godzilla, being hit multiple times and knocked into trees would have had some effect.

I think small arms are the exact reason for the T-Rex's near downfall lol

• Love 8
(edited)

I got more of a vibe where it was something they had talked about and Claire was kind of bummed, that she wanted kids but wouldn't have any because she'd never meet anyone or she worked too much or whatever and her sister wanted her to be positive about it.

They could have made that much clearer with tiny modifications to the dialogue. I'll try to accept your vibe as the reasoning for the conversation but I find it a little difficult since I have never met a single woman who wanted kids of her own yet was so uninvolved with the kids in her family. Claire doesn't know shit about her nephews and there are only two of them. I get that she doesn't live near them, is busy and a Very Important Person with a time-consuming, high stress job, but she has a friggin' smartphone...she's not interested in keeping up with her nephews via email? Facebook?

Also, the kids didn't just turn up unexpectedly; the trip was planned yet the aunt didn't take the time to get updated by her sister so she didn't come off as a total dumbass? She was just going to let two virtual strangers drop into her lap? Yeah, that wouldn't be awkward at all. Oh wait, it totally was. :)

That mismatch made me think that kids are just not on her radar, so the sister's comment felt like the typical "you'll find a man and then have babies!" presumptive fuckery that women are faced with on a regular basis...

Edited by NoWillToResist
  • Love 5

Ideally, the dinos might keep the island as some kind of nature preserve, since there is no way in hell that this park will be able to function again. With park ranger types coming to feed the aquatic dinos and the meat eaters, to make sure they all don't just kill each other? They could at least have scientists come to study their living habits or something then, so the park could generate some money at least. I don't know if that could work long term, but its a better thought than all the poor dinos just starving to death.

I too was heartbroken by the dying herbivores, and then the raptor squad all being taken out, except for Blue. I get so emotional about dying animals, especially ones that I love. Like dinosaurs. I was all ready to start yelling at the screen when it looked like Rexie was toast. 

its not that you die, its how you die. While he was living his own fighter pilot dream he did bravely go forward to protect his guest and staff. Just as all the park staff did, I think.

Well yea, park security/staff of course are goners. 

Not that I disagree that he died nobly,  but it's more that I knew as soon as the non white ethnic Billionaire was introduced it was "Ok, how long before they kill him off."

• Love 1

They could have made that much clearer with tiny modifications to the dialogue. I'll try to accept your vibe as the reasoning for the conversation but I find it a little difficult since I have never met a single woman who wanted kids of her own yet was so uninvolved with the kids in her family. Claire doesn't know shit about her nephews and there are only two of them. I get that she doesn't live near them, is busy and a Very Important Person with a time-consuming, high stress job, but she has a friggin' smartphone...she's not interested in keeping up with her nephews via email? Facebook?

Also, the kids didn't just turn up unexpectedly; the trip was planned yet the aunt didn't take the time to get updated by her sister so she didn't come off as a total dumbass? She was just going to let two virtual strangers drop into her lap? Yeah, that wouldn't be awkward at all. Oh wait, it totally was. :)

That mismatch made me think that kids are just not on her radar, so the sister's comment felt like the typical "you'll find a man and then have babies!" presumptive fuckery that women are faced with on a regular basis...

I actually found Claire's character refreshingly relatable. I'm also super awkward around most kids. It’s not that I don’t like them or want them, I just don’t really know how to interact with them. Other people’s kids can be kind of terrifying. Yes, these kids are family, but if she isn’t close to her sister, she isn’t going to be close to her kids.

I was under the impression Claire has been working at the park for years, so there had likely been a long standing offer to bring the kids out to the park. Sister randomly cashes it in when it is convenient for her, not Claire’s schedule, and doesn’t even bother to mention that she is getting divorced or that the kids don’t get along. They weren’t that close.

• Love 5
(edited)
Yes, these kids are family, but if she isn’t close to her sister, she isn’t going to be close to her kids.

See this is a problem with the tired  trope of the cold woman who can't get close to others.  The Chris Pratt character (Grant) even mocks their first date because of Clarie's anal retentive ways, the contrast with Grant who the kids can look up to in hero worship and is a dinosaur whisperer to boot.

I don't understand why her character needed to "grow" and melt whereas Chris character is nigh perfect, the "standard" she should aspire to.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 3

I don't understand why her character needed to "grow" and melt whereas Chris character is nigh perfect, the "standard" she should aspire to.

I didn't get this - she didn't have to become more like him to get through the day, and he didn't come off as perfect - hot yes, but he didn't instantly bond with the kids either, showed up too casual for their date, etc.  My take was that she has a high-pressure job that keeps her so busy she doesn't see her family much, might like one of her own one day, etc.  In the brief phone scene, I thought she did have a decent relationship with her sister, they seemed warm with each other.  But mileages vary and all that :)  I actually found her relatable too - I enjoy spending time with all of my nieces/nephews but I don't remember all of their ages, my niece has kids of her own but don't ask me how old they are either though I like hanging with them (and then going home LOL).  My own sister could tell you all the ages and birthdays though.  I'm kind of close with my sister, there's things I wouldn't tell her but other personal things I would. 

That's my projecting for the day :D

Zookeepers recreate Jurassic World scene.

I love the one with the otters, their faces crack me up.  And the cows LOL.

• Love 6

I also kind of thought the InGen use raptors as weapons subplot was pretty stupid.  I'm pretty sure that there's a reason the military doesn't use wolves, lions, tigers or bears (oh my).  They are wild animals that while they can be trained cannot be expected to always follow commands.  It seems unlikely that the military would be that excited about using animals that are even more dangerous, and even more difficult to control than normal carnivores.  Also I agree with everyone who said that the inability to recall the Gyrosphears was stupid.  There could have been a throw a way line about there being a malfunction or something.  It might have been contrived, but at least it wouldn't have been moronic.  There is no theme park that would rely on guests to return a vehicle promptly in an emergency, especially not one where there is a chance of the attractions eating the guests.

Stupid, but not completely unrealistic. Man always think we can control what we've created. These dinosaurs were created in a lab by them with genetics they'd selected etc.  for this reason they thought they could create something that would adhere to their commands. Still I agree it was very stupid to believe they could control something so dangerous.

We saw this last night. It was VERY predictable and cliché, but we enjoyed it. It certainly wasn't Jurassic Park and that seemed to be the point. The world had changed drastically since Hammond reveal his original concept more than 20 years earlier and as a result the idea had evolved into a capitalistic moneymaking machine. I was kind of bored in the beginning when they were showing the experience of Jurassic World. I get why they did it, but I found it uninteresting. I didn't think that it was realistic that they'd have rides where visitors could venture out into the park in a glass ball and ride next to the animals or canoe next to them on a river. Even though the animals in these exhibits were herbivores and considered non-threatening that was still an extremely high risk of liability if something went wrong and I don't think a company would take that chance. Also, I found it unrealistic that there would only be one owner of Jurassic World. For a park that size and with those kind of assets I'd think it would be run by a board of directors who would have to approve any new additions to the park i.e. the I-Rex. Lastly, I thought the older brother was great when things got real. However, I thought he was very stupid to take them "off road" when they were doing the tour in the glass ball. This was a dinosaur park, not the zoo (and even the zoo can be dangerous depending on the animals you're dealing with), you do not go off road. There's a reason why off road is not apart of the main attraction area.

Things I loved, Chris Pratt. He was really hot in this. Throughout the movie I was trying to remember where else I'd seen him besides GOTG, P&R etc., When I got home I looked him up on IMBD and realized he was one of the main characters on Everwood! He's come a long way! :)   I liked Owen's relationship with the Raptors. Though he had a rapport with them, he still respected the fact that they were wild animals first and thus could not be fully controlled. Claire was great too. I don't think she was ever a cold fish who warmed and softened as the day went on. As been said, she was a business woman in a high pressure job, no time for warm and fuzzies. I could totally understand her awkwardness with her nephews too. Not everyone loves kids (not that she hated them) or is comfortable around them. It was obvious she cared about them and would do anything to save them, which was good enough for me. She gets extra points for not only saving the day in high heels and a white skirt that never seemed to get dirty, LOL but her ability to hall ass in those shoes. I loved it when Owen would be holding out his hand to help her along when they were running and she would run passed him to get the hell out of dodge. LOL. She didn't need his help. She was more than capable of running to safety .

I thought the I-Rex would be much bigger than the T-Rex, but they ended up being the same size. It was just that the I-Rex had claws and teeth that appeared to be bigger than the T-Rex. Loved the fight between the these two in the end. Glad the T-Rex came out on top, with the help of Blue. As been stated the T-Rex is the face of the Jurassic Park franchise and to a lesser degree the Raptor. So glad they worked together to take down the non-dinosaur.

I thought we'd actually see more dinosaurs enjoying their natural habitats as we did in JP and Lost World, but I guess there wasn't much time for that and really wasn't what we were meant to see, the tranquility of the animals living their lives that was JP and Lost World. This movie highlighted the money making monster machine that Hammond's dream had become.

• Love 1

I thought the I-Rex would be much bigger than the T-Rex, but they ended up being the same size. It was just that the I-Rex had claws and teeth that appeared to be bigger than the T-Rex. 

I too thought the I-Rex would be much bigger than the T-Rex and want to know how I-Rex managed to get claw marks all the way up the wall.

I really enjoyed it thought it was great. 

Only thing I wondered and was left hanging was the divorce of the parents, they didn't really go anywhere with it so was it a necessary to throw it in?

Loved Chris Pratt, the rides, the park, all the store cameos was great. Pandora, Starbucks, Brookstone, Margaritaville. It so fit with a theme park, like Universal Studios City Walk. 

• Love 1

My heart went, ahhhh, as soon as I heard the theme music! Sure, lots if plot holes - but dinosaurs! I loved the pack raptors and the raptor-rex. She couldn't help who she was made to be. Lots more carnage in this one than the previous, especially at the build up to the end - but dinosaurs!

• Love 1
(edited)

You can add me to this list. It makes me feel so much better to know I'm not alone in tearing up a bit when brontosaurus as well as the other 5. I got a bit [obviously irrationally overly concerned] about the babysauruses (babysauri?) And now that everyone is pointing out that it's just Blue and Rexie, Shamuasauraus, the babies and a bunch of herbivores I'm just going to imagine that somehow they survive until the JP 5 by eating the goats, cows and other animals brought in for feeding and hibernating. There must be a farm somewhere on the island.

I can't watch JP2. Not because it's that bad, but because of how they herded, caged and tied up the dinosaurs. 

That really upset my sister, too, so your not alone.  Not ashamed to say, I also teared up about the brontosaurus and the final fight. But then it always upset me when KingKong and Godzilla suffer. 

But it was a very enjoyable movie and the CGI is much more realistic than it appears on the TV adds. 

Did anyone else think the "enjoy the ride" kid was just hilarious?

Edited by xls

Took my Dad for Father's Day today. I was so excited about the movie, and I'm glad there's going to be more. I don't know what it is about dinosaurs and destruction, but I was hooked. There were definitely spots that dragged but others that just flew.

I love that the boys found the old Center. And they choose to play one of the themes from Jurassic Park. I got goosebumps.

I loved Claire. She was determined to help save her nephews even though she had passed them off to Zara. I hated the bit with her not knowing their ages. I know it was played for the laughs, but I wish she would have finished with "Of course I know their ages." She was not and damsel and I appreciated it. I loved Owen too. He was all business once the iRex got out.

I think where the movie fell short was the relationships with each other. In the first Jurassic Park, we watched Grant's relationship bloom with Tim and Lex. We also got to see Ellie's determination to find Grant and the kids. I think it was a mistake to have the brothers on their own for so long. I don't want a retread of the first movie, but it just felt like nothing was earned by the end. Claire earned respect by not being a damsel but I'm not sure anyone really changed. I also HATED the last lines between Owen and Claire. I wished she or he had made a joke about going out on a second date. It would have been a nice book end to their first scenes together.

All in all, I'll probably own it but it's not a classic like the first movie. I wonder how they're going to swing the sequel.

• Love 1

I didn't mind that the human relationships were a little underdeveloped. I think one of the major problems with Godzilla 2014 is that the filmmakers focused too much on the least interesting human characters (why not focus on Serizawa(?) or Cranston's character), combined with showing too little of Godzilla himself. It was like the director had never heard of the trope "Just Here For Godzilla." And I think Jurassic World struck a nice balance between human interest/dinosaurs. 

Man *sigh*... I love this movie to bits. 

• Love 1

I too thought the I-Rex would be much bigger than the T-Rex and want to know how I-Rex managed to get claw marks all the way up the wall.

When fully grown it was supposed to be 50' long to the T-Rex's 40', which would translate into about 170% of the body mass given the similar structure. I'm honestly dubious about whether or not an 8.5 ton animal would be able to run on two legs without blowing out its own joints—there's a reason Spinosaurus walked on four legs. I would imagine that the T-Rex is about as big as you can safely be as a bipedal predator.

• Love 1

I am *really* stupid because I didn't realize that was T-Rexie who was released until I read the comments here. I was confused about who it was, but thought it might have been the I-Rex's sibling, whom she didn't eat after all. Doh!

And I was kind of worried about how they got Larry (I think that was the name of Jake Johnson's character) out. I half expected the last shot to be: T-Rexie (*) on top of the control building lording it over the park-->fade to inside the building, where Larry is going, "Guys? Guys???"

(*) who I still thought was I-Rex II at that point

And I was kind of worried about how they got Larry (I think that was the name of Jake Johnson's character) out.

It sounded to me like they were calling him "Larry" through the entire movie, but the credits have him listed as "Lowery".

• Love 1

My sister and I both saw the movie tonight and we both agreed that it wasn't that good. Was it entertaining? At some parts, yes. And I know it's a Hollywood film that shouldn't be taken seriously. But I guess it just felt rushed, cluttered and too much being thrown in. I actually think there were some things that could have absolutely been cut in favour of, you know, more dinosaurs. More long takes. More...just more development of relationships of characters.

I don't know whether this will end up being an unpopular opinion, but the infamous theme was used poorly in this movie. There were too many cuts and too much dialogue and not enough showing of the scenery along with the music. It just felt very rushed, like the film was trying to say "ok, here's your infamous theme. Now let's move on!". I wish they took their time on the beginning and actually showing the park. But that may just be me being too nitpicky. 

I felt like there wasn't time to really enjoy some of the scenes because they were already moving on to the next. That being said, my favourite scenes were the ones that took more than two minutes to let me enjoy the moment and absorb it: the dying brontosaurus scene and the Owen first training the Raptors scene. Both of those scenes were done well and I felt like they were the only moments that I found myself really feeling the emotion along with the characters.

I wish they cut down on some of the subplots, like the random 'evil human villain' plot with Vincent D'Onofrino's character. I felt like this film doesn't need a blatant human villain and I feel like if you cut out his character's purpose and just tweaked the story a bit, the film would have been just fine. Though, it did get a laugh out of me when the Raptor bit his hand off while in the middle of a speech and trying to be the Dino Whisperer. But other than that, as much as I like D'Onofrino, his character wasn't really needed to drive the point home about corporations, greed and the other themes that have presented themselves throughout.

I wish I liked Claire more but I was having a hard time with her. I was on her side when she was busy and had to pass the kids off to Zara; she's a busy woman and she can't be expected to stick around her nephews for their whole trip. She has a career and she was clearly having a tough day. But not being able to know her nephews' ages? I became slightly surprised she remembered their NAMES. But at least she did care for them enough to go out searching for them. But before that moment, I wasn't sure how much she did care. And I didn't really see chemistry between her and Owen. Owen had more chemistry with the Raptors.

The older brother Zach? I saw him as a surly teenager, yes, but he wasn't really that mean. His mother had to have been exaggerating, or else he was tame for that whole trip. I didn't understand when his mom sobbed to Claire that Zach was so mean. I've met much meaner people than Zach. Besides a few surly lines of dialogue, he was a good big brother. He kept his eyes on Gray and he was very protective over him.

I liked the dinosaurs, but I felt like I wanted to see more of them around. Maybe it's because I loved Jurassic Park and feel like that film did a better job than this one. I like the Mosasaurus a lot and I liked seeing the Raptors and even T-Rexie but other than that, I guess I expected more. They did bring a good point about it in the film, that children are less excited to see them now.

A lot of product placement, huh? Did they really need all of it? Again, Jake Johnson's character Lowery brought that exact point up and it still bugged me to no end.

Overall, I am disappointed in how I feel about the film. I guess it's entertaining, and I'll probably see it again, but...maybe a second time around will make me like it more than I do now? Besides for a few good strong points, I was underwhelmed, and I even told myself to lower my expectations. 

• Love 4

I wish they cut down on some of the subplots, like the random 'evil human villain' plot with Vincent D'Onofrino's character. I felt like this film doesn't need a blatant human villain and I feel like if you cut out his character's purpose and just tweaked the story a bit, the film would have been just fine. Though, it did get a laugh out of me when the Raptor bit his hand off while in the middle of a speech and trying to be the Dino Whisperer. But other than that, as much as I like D'Onofrino, his character wasn't really needed to drive the point home about corporations, greed and the other themes that have presented themselves throughout.

/snip/

A lot of product placement, huh? Did they really need all of it? Again, Jake Johnson's character Lowery brought that exact point up and it still bugged me to no end.

Unless I misheard, D'onofrio's character wasn't corporate, he was security/military. He wanted weaponized, controllable dinos to send into war-zones to save risking soldiers. He worked for InGen, which is in charge of the park's security, yet he's apparently also working for the military? Or InGen maybe has a military division which had a hidden agenda and somehow had the dino geneticist on their payroll? Something like that?

I actually didn't mind the product placement here; since Jurassic World is essentially a theme park and you expect company logos to be everywhere due to sponsorship. I found the names and logos etc. far more organic and way less annoying than in other movies.

I just figured that InGen was a conglomerate with divisions acting as part of the military industrial complex. Vincent was playing the same role as Burke in Aliens.

• Love 2

There's no easy way to say this, so I'm just going to come out with it:  I liked this one better than the first one.  Let me explain!  I loved, loved, loved, the book, so I was super excited for Jurassic Park and, while I know better than to expect movies to be like the book, and while know that the books are always better, this movie still let me down. I've been over it before in another thread (I forget which one, though). So, even though it was a fun, summer movie and the dinosaurs were great, I don't have the same love for it that others do.  Having said that, it was really great for them to put in the scene where they found the old building.  That was a nice touch.

For this one, though, I had somewhat low expectations and knew going in that it was going to be nothing more than a fun, summer popcorn flick (and it wasn't a book first) and it surpassed my expectations in spite of some of the problems with the plot and the mostly cliched characters (I say mostly because I agree with Proclone and others have said regarding Claire not becoming a damsel in distress).

I did enjoy Jurassic World as a fun summer movie, and the action scenes were great. But it did not engage me emotionally, intellectually, or philosophically the way 'Jurassic Park' did.

One of my biggest criticisms of 'Jurassic World' is that I is that I never understood why the park existed: 1) What did the owners do differently when creating Jurassic World to (try to) ensure that the tragedy of Jurassic Park never happened again?  2) Who approved the creation of Jurassic World, in light of what happened at Jurassic Park? 3) Why doesn't seem like BD Wong and the other scientists learned from Jurassic Park? Especially BD Wong, who was there at Jurassic Park the day the dinosaurs started eating people? Everyone seemed to be making the exact same mistakes.

So if I turned off my brain and stopped thinking, I could enjoy the movie for its great action and scenes of dinosaurs eating people. But when I did that, the movie became very forgettable. I didn't find myself invested in the characters or the story.

• Love 2
(edited)
One of my biggest criticisms of 'Jurassic World' is that I is that I never understood why the park existed: 1) What did the owners do differently when creating Jurassic World to (try to) ensure that the tragedy of Jurassic Park never happened again?  2) Who approved the creation of Jurassic World, in light of what happened at Jurassic Park? 3) Why doesn't seem like BD Wong and the other scientists learned from Jurassic Park? Especially BD Wong, who was there at Jurassic Park the day the dinosaurs started eating people? Everyone seemed to be making the exact same mistakes.

Ha, yeah. In a movie full of suspensions of disbelief, the biggest of all is the idea that after the events of Jurassic Park and The Lost World, anyone would think basically the exact same theme park was a good idea.

I too was particularly bothered by the characterization of BD Wong in this film. Maybe he had several more scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor, but he just seemed to go so mustache-twirling villain for no discernible reason other than "the plot requires it!"

Edited by stealinghome
  • Love 1
I had to suspend my disbelief that Owen's alpha imprinting was stronger than the Indom Rex's hold over the raptors, but it's such a minor quibble...

JP1 showed how intelligent raptors are, so I just let myself go with the idea that Blue can make her own decisions when push comes to shove.  They feared Indom, they respected Owen.
Did they address how they stopped the dinosaurs from breeding?

No, but presumably they learned from JP1 not to fill the dino DNA gaps with the frog DNA that allowed them to switch sex.
One of the biggest suspensions of disbelief I had was that this island would not have better emergency protocols. I straight-up do not believe that anyone would let this park run when the emergency evacuation plan seems to be "um, have everyone gather in the main square and hope for the best and that boats can reach you within 12 hours

I was like, "Why are these people not ordered back to the hotels?"   That seems infinately safer than being out in the open.
(edited)

I thought it was so realistic. You park your car at Universal Studios and before you reach the theme park gates, you pass Margaritaville, you pass Starbucks, a movie theatre, restaurants and stores. 

Some rides have "Company" presents "Ride name" at Disney and lots of theme parks.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 3

Viral marketing sites for Jurassic World and I think dialogue in the movie itself implied there were hotels. But people are stubborn. Since the true nature of the situation wasn't revealed until later, more than a few people would have stayed out and dragged their family with them. You know, to ensure they got their money's worth. 

This post on tumblr (from a writer at cracked.com) encapsulates my every problem with this movie: Jurassic World be not do good

Some gems:

–“Kids look at a stegosaurus like it’s an elephant,” she says as if there is only one place on Earth to see elephants because they’ve been extinct for millions of years and have only been brought back to life for everyone to see within the last, let’s say, fifteen years. We landed on the moon more than forty years ago. That shit is still amazing. Sign me up for Moon Park and take me to the moon, you stupid movie.

–Talking about the Monstersaurus they created: “We hit a few snags early on. It began to anticipate where the food would come from.” Fucking cats do that. Mice do that. The other dinosaurs in your park do that. Every animal ever is wired to do that, it’s how animals still exist, you dumb fucking movie.

–Clever move covering yourself in gasoline, but now you’ve got gasoline in your eyes. That’s not water. It’s gasoline. Act like you have gasoline in your eyes.

–The employee tasked with taking care of the brothers easily could have been a character in this movie. Instead she was on her phone the whole time and then she died horribly. I probably would have cared about that last part if she was a character in the movie.

I definitely think this movie was edited to within an inch of it's life. None of the characterizations make any sense, it doesn't flow, it's generic to the point of mind-numbing. Maybe there was a stronger movie before they sliced it all to hell? Who knows?

• Love 4

Can the Jurassic Park movies please stop perpetuating the stereotype that ONLY BOYS love dinosaurs? I was crazy about dinosaurs and monsters  as a child, still am, I even like bats! Geeze.

• Love 13

Agree! There was only ONE main female in this movie and two secondary characters. I loved dinosaurs as a kid, and still do. I know Jurassic Park had Ellie and Lex, but man, I wish we had a couple more strong females in this franchise.

• Love 3

That's why I was hoping it would be two sisters instead of two brothers. My sister and I were obsessed with dinosaurs as children, way more than Barbies. We have countless books about dinosaurs and we watched so many dinosaur movies, and I even still have some knowledge about them that I learned as a child. Having two sisters instead of two brothers would have been interesting because it would have broken stereotypes. 

• Love 4

I wish they'd had Ellie as one of the main characters, since Malcolm and Alan got their own sequels. Of course, she couldn't have been the one in charge of the park since it required a Rube Goldberg-esque sequence of bad decisions to get to the crisis depicted. And she couldn't have been the one training raptors for a living, because she saw the first movie at point blank range and fuck that!

• Love 1

Just saw it and overall, I found it to be a mixed bag.  I really enjoyed it once the action started, but my mind started wandering during most of the opening stuff (until Chris Pratt: Velociraptor Whisperer, which was awesome.)  I just found them all so one-dimensional. Bryce Dallas Howard is an ice queen, who puts work ahead of everything else?  Check.  Chris Pratt is the life of the party?  Check.  Vincent D'Onofrio is evil as fuck?  Check.  Irrfan Khan is a billionaire who means well, but in the end, causes more harm then good?  Sure.  Jake Johnson complains and cracks jokes?  Of course!  Most of them did get better at the movie progressed (except Vincent stayed evil.  He should have just played the character like Fisk in Daredevil.  That would have been hilarious), but it made all that opening stuff a chore to sit through.

And, the whole hybrid dinosaur has to go down with Saffron Burrows making sharks smarter in Deep Blue Sea, as the dumbest thing a scientist has ever done.  Ever.  It sucks people had to die because of it, but these folks were just asking for chaos.

Not sure why Judy Greer took time out to be in this, and only be the worrying mom overseas.  It was fun seeing Merlin's Katie McGrath as the assistant, even if she got the worst death possible.  Even Evil Vincent probably had a more merciful death.

Again though, the action was fun, even if the CGI was obvious.  I did like how it led to everyone stepping up a bit, like Claire getting down and dirty and playing big parts in saving everyone, and the kids even helping out when they can.  Of course, none can top Chris Pratt (he is The Velicoraptor Whisperer after-all!), but no one came out looking too weak.

Favorite though was easily all the original dinosaurs taking out the hybrid.  Preposterous?  Sure, but I loved.  And even at the end, when the T-Rex and Raptor/Blue almost gave each other nods, like "We did it, dino-bro!  No more of that hybrid, test-tube shit!"

Still, there are worst ways to spend time in the theaters.  But I'll still rank it last on my summer list right now (Avengers 2, San Andreas, Mad Max.)  Of course, it looks like it will probably make more money then all of them, so what do I know?  And it still won't touch the wonder of Jurassic Park, but it was better then the other two sequels at least.

• Love 1

I wish they'd had Ellie as one of the main characters, since Malcolm and Alan got their own sequels. Of course, she couldn't have been the one in charge of the park since it required a Rube Goldberg-esque sequence of bad decisions to get to the crisis depicted. And she couldn't have been the one training raptors for a living, because she saw the first movie at point blank range and fuck that!

I think Ellie would have relished the challenge and made to the park way safer, but she was a paleobotanist though But yore right, she would have had more respect for the life forms.

• Love 1

I think Ellie would have relished the challenge and made to the park way safer, but she was a paleobotanist though But yore right, she would have had more respect for the life forms.

I think with Ellie at the helm the movie would have had a hard time justifying all the stupidity of the main characters. Just like Julianne Moore got to be the dumb one to Jeff Goldblum's "...why are you doing this?" in Lost World.

So this is likely to be the second most profitable movie of the year (after Star Wars but above AoU), there will definitely be a sequel, any ideas? How many more idiotic ways can people be chased by dinosaurs?

• Love 2

SNIP, there will definitely be a sequel, any ideas? How many more idiotic ways can people be chased by dinosaurs?

Do we care? As long as it's dinosaurs fucking shit up I will be in. Chris Pratt is just the bonus!

Maybe try a Green Peace effort to liberate the remaining -saurs and -dons? I think its more likely Ingen will try something to recoup its losses though. Also, Dr. Whathisface took those embryos somewhere. 

That would be amazing! I'd love to see the dinosaurs make a delicious meal out of the the Green Peaceers.

• Love 1
(edited)

Do we care? As long as it's dinosaurs fucking shit up I will be in. Chris Pratt is just the bonus!

Clearly someone cares (or should) considering how derided the second and third movies were.

I like that idea, PrincessEnnui. Maybe they could even explore how the dinosaurs exist on their own without man's influence, those things were glossed over in the other movies.

Edited by JessePinkman
  • Love 1
(edited)

I've found the key to enjoying The Lost World is catching it on cable starting at the point where the ship crashes into the dock at Tijuana. Without the amazing mobile cliffs and gymkata and melodramatic crackle glass it's a pretty good movie.

I think the only thing that could save Jurassic Park III is editing out Tick-Tock the spinosaurus and William Macy and Tea Leoni's characters, which would leave you with a 20 minute short about Alan Grant and his hot young boyfriend trying to get the spark back in their relationship with an expedition to Isla Soma.

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 3

One of my biggest criticisms of 'Jurassic World' is that I is that I never understood why the park existed: 1) What did the owners do differently when creating Jurassic World to (try to) ensure that the tragedy of Jurassic Park never happened again?  2) Who approved the creation of Jurassic World, in light of what happened at Jurassic Park? 3) Why doesn't seem like BD Wong and the other scientists learned from Jurassic Park? Especially BD Wong, who was there at Jurassic Park the day the dinosaurs started eating people? Everyone seemed to be making the exact same mistakes.

1. The universal human naivete: this time it will be different!!

2. Throw enough money around and approvals for the most insane shit can happen.

3. Why learn from your mistakes when you can (presumably) make a ton of money and Dr Frankenstein you some dinos?

• Love 4