Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

1 minute ago, auntjess said:

A&E?  There's First 48, and I love Nightwatch.
Forensic Files on HLN can be rewatched, and sometimes the put in a different batch.

Thank you!  I checked Oxygen, but it's either Snapped or NCIS.  What is Nightwatch?

On 2/8/2017 at 6:34 AM, Maizie131 said:

I was disappointed in the Web of Lies episode last night - "People You May Know" about the single mother looking for love on Facebook & finds a good-looking former model she's interested in with whom they have "friends in common."  Okay...I've never been on Facebook, but the first thought that occurred to me was -- I'd be on the phone calling the mutual friends who know this guy to get some inside information about him.  But nooooo....that doesn't happen.  WTF!?  She seemed fairly intelligent, too - studying to be a respiratory therapist. 

"Mutual friends" on Facebook doesn't mean that you both actually know this person IRL. It's far more likely that none of you have met in person, you just "know" each other online. 

What I find so funny about victim blaming  (and, yes, a comment saying you have no sympathy for a rape victim is victim blaming to a pretty extreme degree) is that women who distrust men they don't know are accused of being unfair, bitter, etc, etc, while women who trust men are accused of being stupid and told they deserve no sympathy. Pretty offensive, but I guess pretty typical. 

• Love 9
On 2/7/2017 at 9:12 PM, auntjess said:

I've looked at what's on Oxygen, and it has a lot of NCIS, or one of those cop shows, but not true crime.
I did see they had Snapped.  Isn't that on Reelz a lot too?

5 hours ago, ButterQueen said:

Thank you!  I checked Oxygen, but it's either Snapped or NCIS.  What is Nightwatch?

I think that the article I linked above said that that Oxygen's "moving" in the direction of all-true-crime programming.

They are obviously not there yet. In December they had a grisly little series about murders at the holidays. Apparently true cases, but I could only watch a few minutes. They all seemed to be about people who killed families (sometimes their own!) at a holiday gathering. Maybe I coulda watched a single case if well-presented, but no I couldn't with case after case of people innocently gathering to celebrate and then being murdered. Shudder.

Maybe I'm over my true crime phase. But it's more likely that Oxygen just went overboard there.

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, millennium said:

If you caught tonight's episode of "Evil Lives Here," about the Michael Ryan Yahweh Cult, know that it is a highly sanitized version of what actually happened.

Here's the real story:

http://journalstar.com/news/local/911/michael-ryan-a-sadistic-killer-who-showed-no-mercy/article_e3d60ab2-9d84-5a9b-82c3-9ff151553e93.html

My everfucking "device" (dead Mum's old tablet - don't hate me 'cause I'm poor) will not let me read this. Can anyone throw this old broad a bone and give me a synopsis?  Thanx, I owe you some Spanx.  ;-)

• Love 1

I was trying to find something to watch for 30 min and caught the last half of an episode of Killer Kids. I barely got through it due to the nails on a chalkboard vocal fry the lady narrating has. Don't think I'll be watching that show again anytime soon.

19 hours ago, millennium said:

If you caught tonight's episode of "Evil Lives Here," about the Michael Ryan Yahweh Cult, know that it is a highly sanitized version of what actually happened.

Here's the real story:

http://journalstar.com/news/local/911/michael-ryan-a-sadistic-killer-who-showed-no-mercy/article_e3d60ab2-9d84-5a9b-82c3-9ff151553e93.html

I looked it up last night after the episode. To be honest, it made me very angry that they gave Dennis Ryan that soapbox. Yes, he was 15, but the things *he* did to that man were far more than the manslaughter he got off with in his second trial, or even the 2nd degree murder his first trial ended with. How is engaging in torture for 5 days not premeditated? 

The way they let him barely mention Luke Stice was also revolting. That poor little boy. To think that Luke's father still gets court-ordered visitation with the two children he didn't allow to be tortured and raped. This adult left those kids there after he saw and even engaged in the horrors his 5yo endured, and the court thinks they need to visit with him now? 

The truth of the case made me furious with ID for cleaning it up so much and presenting one of the killers in that cleaned up version. This wasn't the case of someone killing their abuser, like the recent episode of I, Witness. This was someone who watched and inflicted enormous suffering on people who had done nothing to him or anyone else. 

@walnutqueen, it's an ugly story, so remember that you asked. The farm they lived on was owned by the Stice family. The mother died, so the father invited the cult to live there with him and his three kids, including 5yo Luke. He had met Michael Ryan through a white supremacist they were both fond of. Michael Ryan took a strong hatred for the father and the 5yo boy. I think he really wanted the land, and this was his brutal way of getting it.

Michael Ryan chained the father on the porch, and started torturing the child. This included ordering the father to sodomize the boy. (The father was also ordered to sodomize a goat in front of the cult members. See the developing theme?) Beating the boy for being aligned with Satan. Writing 666 on his body. Eventually, Michael Ryan killed the child by breaking his neck, and ordered the father and the other victim to bury the body. 

After the child's death came the 5 days of torture of the other victim. This was carried out by Michael and Dennis Ryan and two other male cult members. It involved sodomizing him with axe handles, forcing him to sodomize farm animals, shooting off all the fingers on his left hand, breaking an arm and both legs, skinning his leg while he was alive, and, eventually, killing him by jumping on his chest repeatedly.

Edited by azshadowwalker
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

My everfucking "device" (dead Mum's old tablet - don't hate me 'cause I'm poor) will not let me read this. Can anyone throw this old broad a bone and give me a synopsis?  Thanx, I owe you some Spanx.  ;-)

I had posted an alternative website that had this story, and my post disappeared.  Sorry if I posted something bad!

• Love 1

Does ID even bother trying to find actors that look like the people in the case? It's never great but I did a double take more than once watching the Shadow of Doubt case about Pam Shelley. It really isn't necessary to make them so much better looking.

ETA: I knew I'd seen this case before but couldn't place it until I looked up the daughter. It was on Cold Justice.

Edited by Court
  • Love 4
17 minutes ago, Court said:

Does ID even bother trying to find actors that look like the people in the case? It's never great but I did a double take more than once watching the Shadow of Doubt case about Pam Shelley. It really isn't necessary to make them so much better looking.

ETA: I knew I'd seen this case before but couldn't place it until I looked up the daughter. It was on Cold Justice.

Yeah, I noticed that with the actress playing Carol Bundy.  They were VERY generous with her.

• Love 4

Tonight's See No Evil was a pleasant surprise with the victim actually ending up being found alive. I really needed that tonight.

I passed on that episode of Evil Lives Here described above, and now I'm really glad I did.

• Love 7

I do not agree that the Catfishing girl was responsible for that boy's death.

I know.  It's not like he deliberately killed himself.  He overdosed accidentally.   He should have gotten help for his drug issues, but everyone seemed to downplay his behavior.  I think his mother probably has a lot of guilt because she didn't pick him up when he called.  It's easier to  feel anger at the girl.  But the catfisher was cruel to keep texting all that fake drama in the aftermath of the boy's death.

I really can't believe they weren't more suspicious about the girl.   All those canceled meetings  and excuses were a huge red flag.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

I loved Murder Chose me. It was an interesting case and I liked Rod Demery.

VERY good first episode.  The production values are high and the main detective is interesting and seems like a very nice man, too.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, RinaX said:

Tonight's See No Evil was a pleasant surprise with the victim actually ending up being found alive. I really needed that tonight.

I passed on that episode of Evil Lives Here described above, and now I'm really glad I did.

I enjoyed that See No Evil episode too and was really glad it had a relatively happy ending. But it left me with so many questions, dangit! Did she know the guy? Or was he just laying in wait for anybody? What was she thinking when everything started to go south and she had the presence of mind to throw her phone on the ground? What happened during the time she was captive, and what was he eventually going to do with her? I'm sure she doesn't want to relive all the horrible details, but it is so unusual that he didn't kill her.

And how crazy is it that that lady saw some broken glass and connected it to a kidnapping that was over 100 miles away? It amazing how all the little details came together 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, millennium said:

For the second week in a row I find myself at odds with Web Of Lies.

I do not agree that the Catfishing girl was responsible for that boy's death.

Yeah, it was a crappy thing to do, and I'm glad she was punished somewhat for her behavior after she found out about the death. I believe in cosmic justice, though, so karma will get her. But how many teenagers have connections to buy Dilaudid (I think it was) and then snort it? Something tells me this kid was a lot more off the rails than his parents realized.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

But how many teenagers have connections to buy Dilaudid (I think it was) and then snort it? Something tells me this kid was a lot more off the rails than his parents realized.

Usually get it from cancer patients. It is extremely rare on the street, and things like oxy or plain old heroin are easier to come by. Probably got it via theft from a friend's dying or dead grandparent. Which doesn't speak highly of the kid or his friends. 

• Love 3

Perfect Murder seems misnamed based on the episodes I've watched on demand.  So far every murderer has been caught.

That said, I learned something important.  Don't include the phrase "Saw no signs of life" in the note you leave on the windshield of your friend's car after not finding her at home, on the off chance that she was brutally murdered and her lifeless body is inside the house.  Police will suspect you until they remember that the first suspect in these shows is almost never the killer.

• Love 5

Just watched The Perfect Murder with the disappearance of Marilyn Kananen in Florida.  What a horrible story of how her husband abused her and her children.  But, the ID channel needs to be more careful in their details.  They start telling the story that Marilyn is 66 when she goes missing, but she was 65.  No big deal, but the missing poster shown on the show said her age was 47.  I had to stop the show to check things out.  Geesh!!

• Love 2
On 2/12/2017 at 7:54 PM, millennium said:

Here's the real story:

I realize this was a horrible crime but he was a teenager who had been raised in this mess with no other influences but his crazy father. Where was he supposed to learn that this was evil? I do think he deserved prison time and it clearly helped break his father's influence but the father was the one who deserved the worst sentence. 

The father got the death penalty. He was the only one sentenced to death. The rest got 2nd degree or manslaughter. Dennis got off on a manslaughter charge, which was garbage.

His mother wasn't torturing and murdering people. His siblings weren't torturing and murdering people. There were people around him not engaging in that kind of depravity, but he wanted to be the Man, like his dad. 

He should have spent a lot longer than he did in prison, and the conviction should have been first degree murder. People dealing drugs, including young people from horrible backgrounds, were getting longer sentences than he got back in the 1980s (and since). Hell, I remember a 10yo being charged with 1st degree murder in Michigan for a shooting that was a hell of a lot quicker and less depraved. Of course, that kid was black. 

• Love 6
18 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

The father got the death penalty. He was the only one sentenced to death. The rest got 2nd degree or manslaughter. Dennis got off on a manslaughter charge, which was garbage.

His mother wasn't torturing and murdering people. His siblings weren't torturing and murdering people. There were people around him not engaging in that kind of depravity, but he wanted to be the Man, like his dad. 

He should have spent a lot longer than he did in prison, and the conviction should have been first degree murder. People dealing drugs, including young people from horrible backgrounds, were getting longer sentences than he got back in the 1980s (and since). Hell, I remember a 10yo being charged with 1st degree murder in Michigan for a shooting that was a hell of a lot quicker and less depraved. Of course, that kid was black. 

I think his father especially focused on him and pulled him into the worse acts.  I don't agree with the excessive sentences for teenagers/kids. 

• Love 1

Nat Geo was broadcasting a Locked Up Abroad episode the other day about Henry Hill, the guy from Goodfellas.  I was puzzled because Henry Hill was an American who was in the Witness Protection Program (until he was expelled).  I know Locked Up Abroad is from the UK, so the US is "abroad" relative to the UK, but I thought the premise of the series was that "abroad" was relative to the person arrested.  Plus, I'm not sure the Witness Protection Program counts as Locked Up.

These is even worse than when Wives with Knives is actually about a girlfriend.

• Love 1

Here in Tucson, we had a case in the early 90s. A barely-14yo Native girl had been prostituted for several years, often by an older "boyfriend" who was her pimp. She was neglected and abused by her drug addicted parents. Started using drugs herself at the age of 9. The state child protective officials were called multiple times, but did nothing.

One day, some piece of shit in his 50s picks her up off the local stroll and takes her out into the desert. At the very least, he was a statutory rapist and pedophile. Her account was that he was also a forcible rapist. She shot him, and drove back to town in his pick-up. Charged and convicted as an adult for 1st degree murder, and sentenced to life with a minimum of 25 years before parole. She did almost all of those 25 years, because it took almost 20 years of fighting by many people to get her released from prison. That's the kind of kid I can have sympathy for. Not so much Dennis Ryan, whose charges and prison time were considerably less, and who was allowed to present his sob story on national TV with the worst details covered up.  

• Love 9

Murder Chose me was good tonight I hope they choose cases that don't always trace back to something in Rod Demery's past. I felt so sorry for Tiffany from last week's Murder Chose Me. Her father was a monster and she lost contact with her only sister. I

• Love 2
19 hours ago, Constantinople said:

Nat Geo was broadcasting a Locked Up Abroad episode the other day about Henry Hill, the guy from Goodfellas.  I was puzzled because Henry Hill was an American who was in the Witness Protection Program (until he was expelled).  I know Locked Up Abroad is from the UK, so the US is "abroad" relative to the UK, but I thought the premise of the series was that "abroad" was relative to the person arrested.  Plus, I'm not sure the Witness Protection Program counts as Locked Up.

These is even worse than when Wives with Knives is actually about a girlfriend.

I know. I came across that episode about halfway through when channel surfing and stopped to watch, because I recognized Henry Hill. At some point I hit the "info" button and was surprised to see it was Locked Up Abroad. Which is, for some reason, a series I've never wanted to watch. 

• Love 1

I'm just mystified that the 2 girls didn't die, too.  VX is a terribly toxic poison, a pinhead drop can kill an elephant.  Poison by contact.  Someone speculated that the poison had 2 components, and each girl had one relatively non-toxic component on their hands, that when combined became lethal.

• Love 1

I felt so sorry for Tiffany from last week's Murder Chose Me. Her father was a monster and she lost contact with her only sister.

I'm so glad you brought this up because I haven't seen it discussed in any other thread.  Tiffany's story was absolutely heartbreaking and I can't believe the father hadn't killed the girls at some point.  I wonder if the CPS visit was accurately portrayed because I would hope they wouldn't have the suspected abuser present when the children were being questioned.  But who knows?  What a relief that her aunt believed what she was saying.  I guess I was left wanting more though.  After all that, how is Tiffany today?  Is she married, does she work, have kids?  I wanted to know that she was doing o.k.  

• Love 4

I have been watching the old Unsolved Mysteries and enjoying them. Some of the people remind me of relatives who are gone and I found myself teary eyed.  Life has changed so much.  Nostalgia has hit me and I find myself missing so much.

just wanted to say they solved quite a few crimes and brought people to justice .  America's Most Wanted did as well.   We need a show like that now.  love Robert Stack.

• Love 3

Just watched tonight's Evil Lives Here "My Brother's Secrets" and must say I believe this is one of the best shows on I.D.  I like how it's done in the "first person" with few actors, heartbreaking as their stories may be.  Won't spoil it for anyone but it's a good one. 

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, Maizie131 said:

Just watched tonight's Evil Lives Here "My Brother's Secrets" and must say I believe this is one of the best shows on I.D.  I like how it's done in the "first person" with few actors, heartbreaking as their stories may be.  Won't spoil it for anyone but it's a good one. 

I agree 100%.  The opening credits are very well made, as well.  And this story was gut-wrenching!

• Love 3