Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

48 minutes ago, azshadowwalker said:

I liked the stories early on, but I agree that they are running out of interesting things to show and are now just milking the popularity. My feelings about him are mixed. I like his delivery, but I have a problem with some of his moral proclamations and agree that he is very impressed with himself. 

Taking my reply to the Homicide Hunter forum.

• Love 2

One of the Pandora's Box shows reminded me of a really strange case, and I tried contacting ID to suggested it.  What I came up against, is that to prove I wasn't a robot, I was given a word written with a strikethough to enter.
Couldn't figure out how to do it easily in the web, but found a site, but copy and paste didn't go through.
The case was Sharon Lopatka, and I don't remember seeing it.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 2

A Crime to Remember hasn't done Winnie Ruth Judd, has it? That is a story that hasn't been done to death. I think American Justice did it in the 1990s, when the Phoenix New Times did their stories and the reporter released her book. It's certainly one I would rather see than the likes of Starkweather. 

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Writing Wrongs said:

That episode of "A Crime to Remember" last night was a weird one.

Wasn't it?  The boy-toy lived in her attic(s) for 14 years? And then after "the incident," just moved to Canada, got married, and lived a normal life.  That's the type of story I like to see on this show; I can do without Starkweather, which I've seen done multiple times. Give me these weird, old crimes!

• Love 7

I actually enjoyed last night's A Crime to Remember.  I couldn't figure out whodunnit for awhile, tho I knew wife had to be involved somehow.  Plus, I can't remember ever smiling like I was last night as the end credits/photos were shown -- for this or any other I.D. program.  She was a piece of work, wasn't she?  Gotta give the gal credit...she knew what she wanted, went after it & by golly she got it! 

• Love 2
On 1/9/2017 at 10:44 PM, auntjess said:

One of the Pandora's Box shows reminded me of a really strange case, and I tried contacting ID to suggested it.....The case was Sharon Lopatka, and I don't remember seeing it.

Yikes! Good choice, AUNTJESS. I just looked that one up on Wikipedia. Very, very weird and I had never heard of it before. I would definitely watch a show about that one.

3 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

That episode of "A Crime to Remember" last night was a weird one.

It sure was, WRITING WRONGS. While I enjoyed it overall I could have done without the scene of those two singularly messed up people going at it in bed. I also cringed in second hand embarrassment when one of the commentators said she was "jealous" of Dolly Oesterreich. So a homicidal manipulator is her role model - because she wasn't much to look at? Otherwise it was good to see a story that 1) took place long enough ago that I didn't feel sad about grief stricken survivors (although there didn't seem to be any in this case)  2) isn't well known, and 3) had a twisted psychological element to ponder.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, azshadowwalker said:

A Crime to Remember hasn't done Winnie Ruth Judd, has it?

No, and I'd like to see them do that one too.  This season has been a little disappointing to me in that mostly they're not doing what I consider Famous Crimes  - they're just doing murders that happened in the past.  The Starkweather case being the exception I suppose - but it's been done so many times and they didn't have anything really new to add - and also the Hawaiian one, which was probably my favorite episode so far in this season.

I'd  love to see them do, oh just off the top of my head,  the Ruth Snyder case (the "Double Indemnity" murder) or the Silvia Likens murder - both of which had a heavy  cultural influence but aren't done to death on the ID type shows.

• Love 2

Did anyone else see the Ice Cold Killers last week, on the 11 year old girl from St Louis, who was found several weeks later, and about 100 miles away?
She was killed in a very cold January, and with one suspect they said he didn't have time to dump the body and get to work, and with another, they wondered about him having time to dump the body.
Is First 48 the only show that knows bodies can be carried around in trunks?  And if the second guy didn't have a car, he had some place.  It was in the low 20s.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, Mannahatta said:

Yikes! Good choice, AUNTJESS. I just looked that one up on Wikipedia. Very, very weird and I had never heard of it before. I would definitely watch a show about that one.

It sure was, WRITING WRONGS. While I enjoyed it overall I could have done without the scene of those two singularly messed up people going at it in bed. I also cringed in second hand embarrassment when one of the commentators said she was "jealous" of Dolly Oesterreich. So a homicidal manipulator is her role model - because she wasn't much to look at? Otherwise it was good to see a story that 1) took place long enough ago that I didn't feel sad about grief stricken survivors (although there didn't seem to be any in this case)  2) isn't well known, and 3) had a twisted psychological element to ponder.

Bolding mine. Yes, Mannahatta, I always find the sex that pops up in these shows jarring. I mean, I expect it on some of the other cheesy ID shows, but not A Crime to Remember. It's funny to me how in my lifetime, we've gone from not even being able to say the word "condom" on TV to actually showing them full of...stuff on these shows. They even showed a sex toy in one of the shows, which I can't remember because they all blend together. The one about the wife who died in the hotel room after she supposedly put cocaine on a sex toy and inserted it.  Someone get my smelling salts - lol

• Love 5
8 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

Bolding mine. Yes, Mannahatta, I always find the sex that pops up in these shows jarring. I mean, I expect it on some of the other cheesy ID shows, but not A Crime to Remember. It's funny to me how in my lifetime, we've gone from not even being able to say the word "condom" on TV to actually showing them full of...stuff on these shows. They even showed a sex toy in one of the shows, which I can't remember because they all blend together. The one about the wife who died in the hotel room after she supposedly put cocaine on a sex toy and inserted it.  Someone get my smelling salts - lol

I hated the episode for that reason. The sex toy one, as well. The husband had two previous dead wives and a dead mother trailing behind him. I think it was Grave Secrets. 

The episode of I, Witness last night just didn't keep my attention. I felt for the father, but I have always been a bit weirded out by Zellner, the lawyer presenting the case. She reminds me of the traditional stories of men in black trying to approximate human appearance, but not quite getting it right. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Surprised nobody's commented on tonight's "Scientology: A Student's Descent" on I.D. channel.  (Hey...if it's on the I.D.channel, it must be true crime, right?!?...AND INDEED IT IS!)  Not sure how many of you are followers of the Leah Remini series on the A&E network, but this program has shown, once again, the atrocities of this "religion" (cult) known as Scientology. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Maizie131 said:

Surprised nobody's commented on tonight's "Scientology: A Student's Descent" on I.D. channel.  (Hey...if it's on the I.D.channel, it must be true crime, right?!?...AND INDEED IT IS!)  Not sure how many of you are followers of the Leah Remini series on the A&E network, but this program has shown, once again, the atrocities of this "religion" (cult) known as Scientology. 

I watched it too! I googled Nancy's name and I think this documentary was aired in 2009 or 2010 on the Discovery Channel (who I believe owns ID), but it was renamed and recycled because the attention and accolades associated with Leah Remini's A&E series on Scientology. Good for them- even if the network's motivation was for ratings- it still succeeds in exposing this cult! 

• Love 7
11 hours ago, Maizie131 said:

Thanks for letting me know this was on! I hadn't seen it before. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Maizie131 said:

Thanks for the heads-up, Maizie!  I watched the second showing of it last night.  What a horror story!  Those poor people, I'm so happy they were finally able to get their freedom. 

• Love 3

Seen it before, and I just can't get that worked up about Scientology, so I quit watching after about 10 minutes. I grew up Mormon and knew a lot of evangelicals. I really don't think it's any crazier or more dangerous than most religions. That's not to say that I have a positive opinion of Scientology. It's to say I have an equally low opinion of most, especially the one my extended family and ancestors have been a part of. 

I'm watching. I'm actually enjoying it. Not that I'm not taking everything with a grain of salt, but there's a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff with the family that I've never heard that I'm finding interesting. Plus I haven't really followed the OJ story since back in the day, so these theories are new to me. Probably bunk but some interesting info.

• Love 3

I'm thrilled to see that tonight's the last night for the OJ debacle on ID.  I'll watch Shadow of Doubt @ 8:00 then switch over to Leah Remini's Ask Me Anything Scientology segment on A&E @ 10:00 (which I'm very excited about...I believe it may be the last one for awhile.)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Maizie131 said:

I'm thrilled to see that tonight's the last night for the OJ debacle on ID.  I'll watch Shadow of Doubt @ 8:00 then switch over to Leah Remini's Ask Me Anything Scientology segment on A&E @ 10:00 (which I'm very excited about...I believe it may be the last one for awhile.)

Exactly my TV plan tonight!

• Love 2

Oops...could only make it thru less than a half hour of Shadow of Doubt before I had to switch it off (turned to Turner & Hooch...one of my all-time faves!) due to unintelligible language by the actors.  They had the dialog printed on the screen, but shit -- I don't wanna work that hard watching TV.  Am I a bitch? 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Maizie131 said:

I haven't watched any of the OJ Simpson thing on I.D. Channel, but for those of you who have, let me know:  Is OJ innocent?

This show is beyond insulting.   Bad enough we had to live through that trial, the first in a series of great national travesties, but to have this farce foisted on us years later, raising the possibility that everyone who watched that trial got it wrong and the jury was right, is just fresh salt in an old wound -- especially on a channel where presumably the majority of viewers have a strong interest in justice.

What next?   "Is Casey Anthony Innocent?"

Fuck them and fuck ID.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 9
5 minutes ago, millennium said:

This show is beyond insulting.   Bad enough we had to live through that trial, the first in a series of great national travesties, but to have this farce foisted on us years later, raising the possibility that everyone who watched that trial got it wrong and the jury was right, is just fresh salt in an old wound -- especially on a channel where presumably the majority of viewers have a strong interest in justice.

What next?   "Is Casey Anthony Innocent?"

Fuck them and fuck ID.

millennium - Couldn't have said it better myself!  (Which, BTW, is why I couldn't bring myself to watch one minute of it.)

• Love 7

The story on Shadow of Doubt was one of the cases that was tackled on Cold Justice.  They mentioned that they chose to make a plea deal with the killer because the show about the case aired the same day as jury selection and complicated the future of any trial.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, psychoticstate said:

Is there a forum for the Is OJ Innocent bullshit show?  I refuse to watch but I definitely want to read the snark around here. 

Yes, it has a forum.  I can't link, but you can find it by show title (just "show all" the "I" listings on your homepage).

36 minutes ago, Maizie131 said:

Right now I'm watching Ted Bundy: A Handsome Devil on the Reelz Channel  & it's pretty good.  If anyone's interested it's on again tonight @ 10:00.

Yeah, he really was, wasn't he?  Wish we got Reelz!

• Love 2

Since the episodes of Forensic Files airing this past weekend were so old, I started morbidly googling a few of the names of the scientists just to see if they were alive. After coming across the third obituary I stopped.  Still more interesting than the 5 minutes I caught one night of the O.J. thing.

I don't mind Kenda, but it's like his show is always airing. I can't get away from it. And when does this season end already?

• Love 1
On 4/13/2016 at 3:42 PM, stillhere1900 said:

Oh, yes. That one was straight up creepy!!!!!.

I just saw this episode a few weeks ago. Damn, I wasn't expecting that. I had vaguely heard of the story mostly about the lawsuit for a sex change. 

My favorite show Web of Lies returns soon. That's one of the best shows on ID. 

ID doesn't have to recycle shows, I belong to a forum that talks about death and crime, and there are so many interesting stories out there. 

Has anyone seen Requiem For The Dead: American Spring 2014? That documentary alone has enough stories for 5 ID shows. 

The case that's in reference is the Edmonds Tennent Brown case. 

Edited by Queena
  • Love 1