Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Tonight's first "Over My Dead Body" featured a woman managing to choke her attacker (ex-boyfriend) to death with a hair dryer.  I'm good for the week.

Edited by Rina99
  • Love 4

Wow, just watched the latest Deadline Crime with Tamron Hall about the "assisted suicide" guy.  That was messed up!  There are some damn creepy people of the internet.  Felt so bad for the family of the girl who committed suicide.

• Love 5
(edited)

After being on a "Forensic Files" binge lately I've determined I'm not nearly as slobby as I've been judging myself to be. Most of these houses in crime scene photos are messy. Now, I know that sounds like I'm being all nasty and judging these people but I'm not. It's just given me a completely different perspective on my own perceived slobbiness.

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 5

I watched "The Perfect Murder" last night & it was actually pretty good (murder of Richard Cohen from the Bronx).  I couldn't guess whodunnit & was shocked when the truth came out.  Who'd have thunk it?  I recommend this one. 

• Love 6

My beef with The Perfect Murder is that the detectives sit down and give their theories on various suspects. It seems so forced.

I don't like the way they act out their theories -- it's confusing!  Only way you know it's their "theory" is when they do a "rewind" sound of a tape, then state that it's only a theory.  It doesn't need to be acted out - just tell us what your theories are.  It's irritating.  Otherwise, I sorta like the show, which is shocking, cuz I don't like much of anything on ID anymore.  I wonder when/if "A Crime To Remember" is coming back.  THAT was my favorite!  Does anyone know?

• Love 4

Hey...  So this is a topic, not a forum, so I can't make a sub-post, right?  Does anyone know this?  Hopefully it's OK to post this here.

So I enjoy in indulging in ID-inspired games.  Like, "You Know you Watch Too Much Investigation Discovery When..." (you first thought of life insurance=potention murder, etc.)  Another "game" I've thought of is...and this is horrible, forgive me...if I were killed and my body was found, what could the police/whoever know about me?  What would my body tell them?  30-something caucasian woman, likely of Northern European descent, 3 small/discreet tattoos, several ear piercings, well-developed leg muscles so maybe I was a runner, osteoarthris in my Lt metatarsal joint, an old shoulder injury, a scar from open heart surgery at one point...could they tell I've been pregnant if I miscarried? No makeup but toenails painted red and my hair highlighted, so I only sort of was the type of person who cared how I looked...  What would be the sum of my parts, if I were just...found?  Weirdly, morbidly indulgent, but I think of it sometimes.  Am I the only one?

• Love 3

I've said to my husband, after giving him a nice, vigorous back scratch: "You'd better hope I'm not found dead in the next few hours or so. Your DNA is under my fingernails."

• Love 6
(edited)

Hey...  So this is a topic, not a forum, so I can't make a sub-post, right?  Does anyone know this?  Hopefully it's OK to post this here.

So I enjoy in indulging in ID-inspired games.  Like, "You Know you Watch Too Much Investigation Discovery When..." (you first thought of life insurance=potention murder, etc.)  Another "game" I've thought of is...and this is horrible, forgive me...if I were killed and my body was found, what could the police/whoever know about me?  What would my body tell them?  30-something caucasian woman, likely of Northern European descent, 3 small/discreet tattoos, several ear piercings, well-developed leg muscles so maybe I was a runner, osteoarthris in my Lt metatarsal joint, an old shoulder injury, a scar from open heart surgery at one point...could they tell I've been pregnant if I miscarried? No makeup but toenails painted red and my hair highlighted, so I only sort of was the type of person who cared how I looked...  What would be the sum of my parts, if I were just...found?  Weirdly, morbidly indulgent, but I think of it sometimes.  Am I the only one?

I have a habit of looking up killers after watching these shows just to see what's happening today with their families, etc.  I always get sad for the kids of these people, and try to see if they at least turned out ok if the show doesn't mention them.  Regardless, my computer history would not serve me well if I blew my nose and left my DNA someplace after having lunch or something with a friend who ends up murdered five minutes after I leave, and that tissue is the only thing police can find as far as physical evidence.  I'd also mention this tissue if they ask me for a DNA sample, as well as where I might have left my fingerprints.  No, I don't think much about these things at all...

Edited by Rina99
  • Love 6

We should have a general ID discussion thread where we can talk about our freaky behaviors, thoughts, etc. I know -  let's get walnutqueen to set it up!

I second it.

If nominated, I will not run.  If elected, I will not serve.  :-)

Seriously, it would have to be some weird thread in the "Everything Else" section, where we'd never be able to find it!

On the Alone forum (survivalist competitive show, lots of predators and tough terrain) a couple of ladies joked about their husbands being contestants, and sort of encouraging it.  I told them they had a future on the ID channel : Wives Who Send Their Husbands Into The Wilderness To Be Killed or Die.  :-)

• Love 6
(edited)

I have a habit of looking up killers after watching these shows just to see what's happening today with their families, etc.  I always get sad for the kids of these people, and try to see if they at least turned out ok if the show doesn't mention them.

Have you seen that Lifetime Movie Network has a new series called Monster in My Family?  It premieres next Wednesday.

Edited by Josette
  • Love 5

There's something satisfying about so many of these true crime shows. They show how often very difficult crimes are solved, and the perps convicted and sentenced. Of course, since it's about real life, sometimes it turns out the system got it wrong, and sometimes somebody just screwed up.

Dateline showed "Secrets on Shalimar Way" on 6/18 in advance of the 6/25 sentencing of Dr. Robert Neulander for killing his wife, Leslie. But sentencing was postponed and a hearing set for 7/8 to determine whether to overturn the verdict for juror misconduct.

An alternate accused a juror of texting about the case during the trial. They seized her cellphone, but she claims the messages didn't affect her opinion in any way. Sheesh!

• Love 2

I was talking to my partner in crime about this last night.  I have a horror of being autopsied and/or embalmed (thanks to the ID Channel and Six Feet Under).  I said the coroner would probably tell the investigating cops that the murderer did me a huge favor, since my enlarged liver indicates I drank like a fish and my blackened lungs prove I smoked like a chimney.  Not to mention the dimples on my fat ass outing my career as a professional couch potato.  heh

• Love 3
(edited)

An alternate accused a juror of texting about the case during the trial. They seized her cellphone, but she claims the messages didn't affect her opinion in any way. Sheesh!

Oh for Pete's sake. Is it THAT hard to just play by the rules for a short time? How much will this possibly cost the tax payers? People who do these types of things should be billed.

Nothing to do with my above comments, I enjoy these shows because I love seeing criminals get busted. They're drains on society. More often than not when they get arrested or convicted I call out "Hahahahaha!!" Yeah, I'm immature that way sometimes. It's my version of being a sports fanatic.

Edited by bubbls
  • Love 3

I was talking to my partner in crime about this last night.  I have a horror of being autopsied and/or embalmed (thanks to the ID Channel and Six Feet Under).  I said the coroner would probably tell the investigating cops that the murderer did me a huge favor, since my enlarged liver indicates I drank like a fish and my blackened lungs prove I smoked like a chimney.  Not to mention the dimples on my fat ass outing my career as a professional couch potato.  heh

Walnutqueen - LOL!!!!  Altho my ass ain't fat, the M.E. doing my autopsy would agree the killer did me a favor, too, due to MY blackened lungs & liver the size of Texas.  Too frickin' funny!!!  A toast to you, my friend!  :) 

• Love 4

I just got interested in a show The Forsyte Saga on PBS.  Of course,I was spelling it Forsythe, but I digress.  I liked the format for Masterpiece.  You click on it and it has all the different series shown under Masterpiece.  

Could this set up work for the ID shows.  In the "I" sections of 'shows' could there be ID Discovery, and under it all the good (A Crime to Remember) and not so good (Cry Wolfe) shows?  I would like to talk about certain shows.  Also, for instance, there was an episode of Deadline Crime with Tamron Hall and I wanted to watch it but was not sure of its episode title.  I did watch it. 

Is this amenable to you crime fiends?  

• Love 4

Since some of the ID shows already have their own forums, and there's a True Crime thread in the Genre Forum, talking about our favorite crime shows will always require us to be True Detectives.  :-)

Let's face it, most ID shows don't warrant their own thread, because they'd get very few posts.  :-(

• Love 6

I'd vote for the status quo, as many times the same crime is done on several shows, and because I watch so many that the run together.
And I don't mind Cry Wolfe.
I don't watch several of the new ones, because I like a whodunit.

• Love 4

I know this is off topic, but does anyone ever watch the old Columbo episodes?  It has its own forum, but hardly anyone posts anything.  I've been getting into it the past couple months because I've seen just about every ep. of Forensic Files so many times I can almost narrate them myself (of course, not even close to the great Peter Thomas)!  Not to mention ID Channel has REALLY got some shitty shows on that it's hardly worth watching anymore.  Anyhow, I've been greatly entertained by Peter Falk lately, & highly recommend it to anyone as bored as me with "true crime" shows. 

• Love 3

I was just looking at "Columbo" on Netflix and thinking of watching it. I grew up watching it. I'm not to the point of being able to narrate FF, but I'm starting to get far enough that I'm seeing repeats. I really wish Netflix would put "Disappeared" back on. Loved that one and it scared the poo out of me. I didn't get all the seasons watched when they took it off.

• Love 3

After racing through the new season of Orange is the New Black, I started binging on true crime shows, most notably all 40-something episodes of Forensic Files on Netflix, but also some others. I don't have the ID channel, so I have to take scraps of what the other networks are broadcasting at the moment. The shows all have their own styles, but what are people's favorite series? Any recommendations? Here are my thoughts about the ones I've seen most often.

- My go-to true crime series is definitely Snapped. I love this show and have seen some of the episodes an embarrassing number of times (many are on YouTube). The main attraction for me is the predictable formula- the case is presented at a good pace (especially in the 30-minute episodes), the crime always goes through to trial and most of the time the women are convicted. Case closed! It's very satisfying that way.

- The new shows on Lifetime- Wives with Knives, In-Laws from Hell, Nightmare Next Door, etc. Like Snapped, they seem to do what they say on the tin, and you know what you are getting into, which is a plus for me. Mostly satisfying, but I haven't seen too many episodes yet.

- Forensic files- this was good, but the episodes I saw were about 10 years old (not sure if it's still being made), so a lot of the scientific techniques are out of date. However, it's still fascinating to me to see how much can be learned from such tiny shreds of evidence.

- 48 Hours (and Dateline, 60 Minutes, 20/20, and other shows of this ilk)- this is very hit and miss for me. Some of the cases ramble on and on and then there is no conclusion because the case is unsolved or hasn't been taken to trial yet. There's often too much set up and too many interviews of crying/grieving family members, rather than a focus on the detective work. Often disappointing.

- Sins and Secrets- I can only watch this on my DVR so I can fast-forward through the HORRIBLE folksy, aw-shucks, down home, country boy narration by a Billy Ray Cyrus wannabe. Ok, we get it, this is a picturesque "all American" town (whatever that means), and it's shocking that a brutal murder took place- do you have to remind us of this at every commercial break? And it's even more laughable when this small town conceit is used for crimes in places like Tampa or Detroit.

- Women Behind Bars and other shows about people who have already been convicted- these are interesting to me because they pick up where other shows leave off and give you a glimpse of what it actually means to be sentenced to life without parole or put on death row. And it's good to see some people actually feel remorse and regret for their crimes.

- As a history nerd, I love shows about historical crimes, particularly revisiting unsolved crimes like Jack the Ripper. I must have seen about 20 of these, all with different theories about the Ripper's identity. I also love shows that explain how crimes were solved in the past, because it really puts our modern forensics (which we sometimes take for granted) in perspective. The BBC recently ran a two-part show about landmark cases from the past 100 years or so that all pioneered certain techniques- analyzing mud on someone's boots to pinpoint where they walked, the development of fingerprint evidence, blood spatter patterns, DNA tracing, etc. It was really fascinating.

• Love 5
(edited)

I don't have the ID channel, so I have to take scraps of what the other networks are broadcasting at the moment.

Forensic Files- this was good, but the episodes I saw were about 10 years old (not sure if it's still being made), so a lot of the scientific techniques are out of date. However, it's still fascinating to me to see how much can be learned from such tiny shreds of evidence.

Forensic Files ended in 2011, I think. It airs on HLN and Escape, plus elsewhere as Mystery Detectives.

PBS, HBO, Ovation, and the Smithsonian Channel all have good documentaries: Mummies Alive, Tales of the Grim Reaper… Crime & Inestigation, too, but I don't get that channel.

Edited by editorgrrl
  • Love 1

Snapped is on Reelz, I think.  They've also been showing some Crime 360, but I wish they'd brng back The Shift.
Do a search for Disappeared, because it shows up all over, inluding HGTV sometimes.
Its no a bad idea to do a search on any of them.
Destination America shows FBI Files, also old, and some other crime shows.

• Love 2

Thanks for the recommendations, Walnutqueen! I'm currently in the UK, which limits some of my access to things, but I'll give these a try. I definitely need some new episodes, because I'm starting to recognize cases that appear in multiple shows. That's actually kind of interesting- Snapped follows the lives of the perpetrators, but other shows tend to follow the lives of the victims or the investigation, so sometimes I get to see the same case from different points of view. 

• Love 3

So I stumbled upon Sins and Secrets, and it really reminded me of the A&E show City Confidential, minus the wonderful narration of Paul Winfield.

This is one show that I really like on ID right now, for precisely the same reason you mentioned.  I loved City Confidential!

• Love 7
(edited)

Nightmare Next Door

I just caught this last week for the first time  Would you believe it was also a local case?  It was about  a woman who stalked her neighbor non stop until she was finally arrested after fleeing to New Orleans.  I'd never heard about it since the NBC affiliate had the exclusive on the report. 

cops/prosecutors got it wrong and DID it wrong

I do remember a case from Forensic Files in which a man was accused of killing his parents and jailed for 9 months.  The cops/investigators claimed he set a fire (his parents were invalids and he took care of them) and left them to die.  Investigators claimed it was arson because gas was found on the floor.  Thanks to a savvy investigator (who worked for the defense) they learned the gas was poured on the floor decades earlier - it was used as lacquer thinner when the house was built and it was set off when the man's mother dropped a cigarette on it.   Thank heaven he didn't go to jail for something so random!  Only his remaining family knew he wasn't a killer and stuck with him all the way.   When the prosecutor was interviewed, I loved seeing him eat crow as he admitted they got it wrong.

Edited by magicdog
  • Love 3
(edited)

I love Web of Lies and Fear Thy Neighbor.    In terms of content and production value, those two shows are light years ahead of the other fare.   

I watch at least two ID shows every night and I think I may have reached that "you know you're watching too much when ..." point because now I'm noticing the same stories re-enacted on different shows, by different actors (I guess you'd call them that).   I'm also becoming increasingly annoyed when every victim is described as "beautiful" and every family is "perfect" and every guy who kills his wife/girlfriend is initially described as "handsome."

I've also noticed that people in these shows spend an inordinate amount time looking at themselves in the mirror.   And that the women spend a large part of their day putting on lipstick.    And I find myself idly wondering, do they reuse the sleazy lingerie from show to show?  Do they have a lingerie wrangler?   And what's with all those bugs crawling across people's living rooms and rolling around in their salads?   Mealworms, cockroaches ... that thing Khan put in Chekov's ear ... just marching across the hardwood floors in these suburban houses.    I keep waiting for one of the characters to say "Don't mind the meal worms in your strawberry shortcake.   It's a metaphor."

ID needs an organized forum on this site.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 6

So I stumbled upon Sins and Secrets, and it really reminded me of the A&E show City Confidential, minus the wonderful narration of Paul Winfield.

I swear it is City Confidential - same little musical riff, right?  Just rechristened, maybe new crimes, but I seem to remember they're mostly older ones.  And the later ones had a different narrator, if I remember right.  I wonder.

I swear it is City Confidential - same little musical riff, right?  Just rechristened, maybe new crimes, but I seem to remember they're mostly older ones.  And the later ones had a different narrator, if I remember right.  I wonder.

Could be. I know Unsolved Mysteries did that a few years ago. I recognized all of the cases as old when Robert Stack was the host, albeit some with updates, but the hosting bits were re-edited with (the now-late himself) Dennis Farina.

• Love 2

I just discovered one of my favorite (old) shows is now on I.D. - The New Detectives, with narrator Gene Galusha.  It's on just about every morning @ 6:00 a.m. (Comcast subscribers, anyhow).  I just set up a series recording to watch at night when nothing else worth watching is on.  Loved that show!

Loved  City Confidential I thought with that show there was a little more emphasis on the city. I still want to go to Bermuda because of it.  The crimes were iconic and I think the show started because of the Boston murder where a guy killed his lawyer wife and blamed it on a black guy.  When it all came out people were outraged about it because of course it was the husband.

I still like Fear Thy Neighbor millenium, the show with the creepy crawlies is Blood Relatives. 

I too wish there was an organized forum, there has to be more ID watchers than the handful that post here regularly.

• Love 3

Yes, Blood Relatives.   I watched that last night.    The narrator, Brenda Strong, irks the heck out of me.   That sing-songy voice may have been okay for Desperate Housewives, but not in a show where the ONLY person with dialogue is the narrator.   She addresses the viewers as though talking to a kindergarten audience.    But getting back to the creepy crawlers, it's a ridiculous and overused device.

• Love 3

I swear it is City Confidential - same little musical riff, right? Just rechristened, maybe new crimes, but I seem to remember they're mostly older ones. And the later ones had a different narrator, if I remember right. I wonder.

I don't believe it is.

Some of the cases on S&S are much newer than CC .

The idea is the same, but they're different shows / cases.

• Love 3
(edited)

I completely disagree about separate show forums for these shows. They are too limited in episodes and it is more interesting to discuss them together rather than in thirty separate forums or threads. Honestly, if this thread gets separated in that manner I wouldn't bother posting about the shows at all any more. I don't want to go to that many tiny threads/forums just to talk to people about all the shows I watch on this channel or how stupid the channel can be. We often combine different shows comments in one post, its easier that way and I just don't think there's enough interest in most of these shows to justify entire threads/forums devoted to them on their own.  The occasional breakout like Disappeared or Homicide Hunter sure, but seriously, Over My Dead Body or Obsession (which I think are made by the same people, same abysmal production standards and acting), etc simply aren't worth the space and bother. 

Please don't create a bunch of threads or forums for these shows.  

Now, for my episode post, which is why I came here.  Fear Thy Neighbor, Oregon edition. That's my neck of the woods now and I was surprised I knew so little about the case being as I watch the news for the latest weirdness all the time here. Good to see Sheriff Gilbertson in a talking head btw. Anyway, Clarice, the mom of the one neighbor, was quite the piece of work was she not?  As soon as they mentioned she had thirty cats and they kept showing her holding a cat at all times I kind of knew which side was the looney side. And the fact that her son had the same problems with the prior property owner and killed him 'in self defense' (riiiigtht) was another big red flag. No surprise that he killed this one too. That he and his lovely mother and her cats insist that shooting a man in the back while he is running from you on his own property is again 'self defense' was a nice touch. Glad the jury got it right and sent that asshole to prison for life. And his mother can shut it with her whining about her poor boy. He's a psycho and I think I know where he got that from.  I'm just embarrassed that these folks are now nationally known as my county neighbors. 

On the up side we have legal weed now. Perhaps that'll help mellow some of these numbskulls out a bit, eh?  :)

Edited by Andyourlittledog2
  • Love 9

On the up side we have legal weed now. Perhaps that'll help mellow some of these numbskulls out a bit, eh?  :)

Or mellow us out as we watch these shows!  :-)

I agree about keeping this as a catch-all forum.  I watch so many of these shows, they all start blending together, and I rely on you all to keep them straight for me.

• Love 7

Then there was the case of Patricia Stallings, who was convicted of poisoning her infant son with antifreeze. She was pregnant again when she was taken into custody, the baby went immediately into foster care after birth, then began exhibiting the same symptoms as his brother. He was diagnosed with a rare genetic disorder, but the prosecution still believed she'd poisoned her first child. It wasn't until her story appeared on Unsolved Mysteries( after she'd been convicted and sentenced to life in prison)that she was contacted by doctors familiar with the condition, and they were eventually able to prove that her first son had also had the disorder and died from it.

• Love 5
(edited)

I completely disagree about separate show forums for these shows. They are too limited in episodes and it is more interesting to discuss them together rather than in thirty separate forums or threads. Honestly, if this thread gets separated in that manner I wouldn't bother posting about the shows at all any more. I don't want to go to that many tiny threads/forums just to talk to people about all the shows I watch on this channel or how stupid the channel can be. We often combine different shows comments in one post, its easier that way and I just don't think there's enough interest in most of these shows to justify entire threads/forums devoted to them on their own.  The occasional breakout like Disappeared or Homicide Hunter sure, but seriously, Over My Dead Body or Obsession (which I think are made by the same people, same abysmal production standards and acting), etc simply aren't worth the space and bother. 

Please don't create a bunch of threads or forums for these shows.  

Now, for my episode post, which is why I came here.  Fear Thy Neighbor, Oregon edition. That's my neck of the woods now and I was surprised I knew so little about the case being as I watch the news for the latest weirdness all the time here. Good to see Sheriff Gilbertson in a talking head btw. Anyway, Clarice, the mom of the one neighbor, was quite the piece of work was she not?  As soon as they mentioned she had thirty cats and they kept showing her holding a cat at all times I kind of knew which side was the looney side. And the fact that her son had the same problems with the prior property owner and killed him 'in self defense' (riiiigtht) was another big red flag. No surprise that he killed this one too. That he and his lovely mother and her cats insist that shooting a man in the back while he is running from you on his own property is again 'self defense' was a nice touch. Glad the jury got it right and sent that asshole to prison for life. And his mother can shut it with her whining about her poor boy. He's a psycho and I think I know where he got that from.  I'm just embarrassed that these folks are now nationally known as my county neighbors. 

Clarice?   You just know she was behind it all.    I can easily imagine her goading her son to get out there and do something about Laren.   She postures as a defenseless little old lady, but I didn't buy it.

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4

Or mellow us out as we watch these shows!  :-)

I agree about keeping this as a catch-all forum.  I watch so many of these shows, they all start blending together, and I rely on you all to keep them straight for me.

Catch-all sounds fine.   Perhaps the thread could be moved to the I's then, and listed simply as "Investigation Discovery" so more people can find it?    I ran across it entirely by accident, while searching for a thread to see if anyone might be discussing TVLand's removal of Dukes of Hazzard from broadcast.    I have been looking for threads about Fear Thy Neighbor and Web of Lies for awhile now, without luck.

• Love 1

Eat you heart out, folks.
On a New Detectives, Wasted Youth episode, the couple were found bludgeoned and stabbed, AND--their sheets were the same rose pattern that I had, years ago.

• Love 6