Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

When, oh when will we ever learn that we are not in any way responsible for our ancestors' actions?  My goodness, everyone has HISTORY; plenty of people overcome their own parents' misbehavior every day.  The only shame you should bear is for your own bad actions (otherwise, I'd be ashamed for way more than half the people on TV today, nevermind my cultural history!).  Evil Kin, Schmievel Kin - I have the very good, the very bad and the very ugly in my immediate family ...  BFD.  Makes no difference to the person I am, and am responsible for.  I love family history - warts and all. 

• Love 9

My new show to dislike is Blood Relatives.   I've already complained about Brenda Strong's insufferable narrations.   Now the show has gone over the top with the gross-out stuff.   Tonight's episode was about the Manilewis family of Cape Cod.   At different points in the show, there were close-ups of bugs, serving dishes full of writhing earthworms, snakes and a bowl of fish guts.   It finally made me so angry I switched off the show before it ended.   I don't need that kind of abuse.

• Love 5

My new show to dislike is Blood Relatives.   I've already complained about Brenda Strong's insufferable narrations.   Now the show has gone over the top with the gross-out stuff.   Tonight's episode was about the Manilewis family of Cape Cod.   At different points in the show, there were close-ups of bugs, serving dishes full of writhing earthworms, snakes and a bowl of fish guts.   It finally made me so angry I switched off the show before it ended.   I don't need that kind of abuse.

I've never understood what all the bugs or reptiles is about. Is it supposed to be biblical or something?

• Love 2

Hi all. First time here. I never even knew this forum existed. I was an ID addict, and when I would try to tell people about it, theyou usually said, "Why do you watch that stuff?". Wish I had known about the forum then!

Anyway, I don't watch as much now because after my husband and I seperated, I started getting paranoid after watching.

But I am back on the network today, and I am glad to see so many others watching and thinking the same as me about the unnecessary sex, ridiculous casting choices, etc.

• Love 13

Welcome, JerseyDiva, not a lot of people get watching true crime shows, yet some of the most popular shows are about the same subjects.  How many CSI, Law and Order or NCIS shows are there.  

I just like the non-fiction stuff, always more unpredictable and many colorful characters.

• Love 4

I've never understood what all the bugs or reptiles is about. Is it supposed to be biblical or something?

Your problem is that you THINK too much, senslam!  Creepy crawlies are creepy ... and crawly.  This is the ID channel, afterall!

Hi all. First time here. I never even knew this forum existed. I was an ID addict, and when I would try to tell people about it, theyou usually said, "Why do you watch that stuff?". Wish I had known about the forum then!

Anyway, I don't watch as much now because after my husband and I seperated, I started getting paranoid after watching.

But I am back on the network today, and I am glad to see so many others watching and thinking the same as me about the unnecessary sex, ridiculous casting choices, etc.

Welcome, JerseyDiva!   You shouldn't feel insecure after a separation (though Gawd knows we all do!).  Life gets a whole lot better when you're alone and realize the worst thing you had to fear WAS your spouse!!!  :-)

• Love 5

I'm glad I am not the only one to be bothered by this. The S...L...O...W sing-song narration is so distracting. But the weirdest thing in my opinion is when reinacting the crime, they do everything in the dark with a strange blue light off in the distance. The police stations are almost pitch dark while they are questioning suspects, and when the go into a house, and they are looking for evidence, they use flashlights even after they are there for a long time. No electricity? But when they show the autopsies done in almost complete darkness, that is too much. I suppose they think it adds drama, but it doesn't.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think it's intended to be a visual metaphor for something rotten lurking just beneath the surface of an otherwise "normal, well-adjusted home/family/etc."   But seriously, ID-iots, stop clobbering us over the head.    Maybe I'm watching the channel too much.   Or maybe it's just this show.   I started to get angry last night when the family takes the lid off a serving dish and its crawling with glistening worms and they act like it looks delicious.   I could see if they were a Klingon family maybe ...

Edited by millennium
  • Love 4

I think it's intended to be a visual metaphor for something rotten lurking just beneath the surface of an otherwise "normal, well-adjusted home/family/etc."   But seriously, ID-iots, stop clobbering us over the head.    Maybe I'm watching the channel too much.   Or maybe it's just this show.   I started to get angry last night when the family takes the lid off a serving dish and its crawling with glistening worms and they act like it looks delicious.   I could see if they were a Klingon family maybe ...

So they're trying to be artistically creative like a David Lynch or Luis Bunuel? Well, they should stop 'cause they suck at it.

• Love 4

Did anyone else watch Untouchable: Power Corrupts last night? Last night's episode profiled a New Jersey attorney who first was a US Attorney and then became a successful defense attorney (the name escapes me right now).  This guy...he became "successful" by fixing juries and indirectly ordering hits on witnesses.  Later he began pimping women and trafficking drugs.  I thought the show was pretty good, actually. Perhaps it was because I'd never heard this story before and it was a welcome break from the re-hashed, re-packaged murder cases that ID is now rife with. One of the talking heads helping to tell the story was the real-life US Attorney played by Russell Crowe who was featured opposite Denzel Washington's Frank Lucas in "American Gangster".

• Love 3

I read an article yesterday about a local man who became so angry that his neighbor was mowing her lawn at night that he shot her and ran over her with a pushmower. Waiting for that one to be on "Fear Thy Neighbor." 

• Love 3

I read an article yesterday about a local man who became so angry that his neighbor was mowing her lawn at night that he shot her and ran over her with a pushmower. Waiting for that one to be on "Fear Thy Neighbor."

No shortage of crazy. Not too long ago I read news of a property dispute that ended with not only one dead and one injured but the injured guy loaded up the dead guy's body and drove hime to his (injured guy's) attorney!!! And claimed self-defense. Probably will never be charged. Not much of a crime scene. No witnesses.

I am guessing (hoping!) that major drugs and alcohol were involved in your reported dispute. No excuse but maybe a partial explanation? Wow. These things can wear ya' out!

Saw a 20/20 that was not only new to me but one that I was thrilled to see. The episode was named "Survivor" and it was based on events retold by a surviving victim which she recounted in her book This Strange Piece of Paradise.

I read this book and it was so incredibly powerful that I had always wondered about and wanted to somehow see this surviving-victim author. And there she was!

Her point of view as victim was really something and her tenacity over the years was unflagging. I wish I had seen the entire episode. I will never forget her or the book and recommend both/either.

Edited by NewDigs
  • Love 2

I just saw the tail end of the commercial. This isn't about hookers, is it? I don't get it.

Me either.  The description I found states:

In the new series, INDECENT PROPOSAL, ID presents viewers stories of moral dilemmas, where everyday people are given incredible opportunities that have significant consequences.  Will they accept these dangerous, and sometimes immoral, propositions?

The commercial looked sleazy as hell.

• Love 1

Saw a 20/20 that was not only new to me but one that I was thrilled to see. The episode was named "Survivor" and it was based on events retold by a surviving victim which she recounted in her book This Strange Piece of Paradise.

I saw that too, it was very interesting! Thanks for the tip on the book, I didn't know it existed and am always looking for a good book.

I remember seeing this story on a true crime show, can't remember if it was dateline, or who knows which one. The randomness was so frightening, and people wonder why I don't want to go camping, not without my dogs :0

• Love 1

Anyone who reads this forum will be sad to know that Ann Rule died on Sunday.  :(  "The Stranger Beside Me" (re: Ted Bundy) was one of the best true-crime books I've ever read. I'll also miss seeing clips of her commenting on various crime shows on TV.   RIP, Ann.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/07/27/true-crime-author-ann-rule-dies-at-age-83/?intcmp=hplnws

Mrs. Torqy and I both enjoyed "The Stranger Beside Me" and the TV-movie with Mark Harmon.

Is it just me, or did Ms. Rule's death not get much national media coverage? I learned of it on another forum here at PreviouslyTV.

• Love 1

Mrs. Torqy and I both enjoyed "The Stranger Beside Me" and the TV-movie with Mark Harmon.

Is it just me, or did Ms. Rule's death not get much national media coverage? I learned of it on another forum here at PreviouslyTV.

Torqy - No, it was not well-publicized unless you looked at the "National" tabs of news sites.  I read quite a few newspapers online every day - Foxnews.com being one of them -- it was on the front page.  I didn't see it on any others until several days later, which is a shame -- she was such a neat lady.  And I agree w/you -- the TV movie with Mark Harmon portraying Bundy was a great one. 

Evil Kin continues to astound me.  That families actually commit crimes together.  I know women can be as evil, I just hate to see women stand by their men and get almost no sentence for their part.  Last night on Highway to Hell the two women were involved in the crime spree as far as conning people etc.  

It sounded like the two males were singing like canaries so why did they need the women's testimonies? They got to make a plea and serve almost no time?

• Love 2

There's an Associated Press article this week about Investigation Discovery that I thought was somewhat interesting.  It mentions the crazy titles of some of the shows. 

By the way, I noticed in my cable guide that Deadly Women is going to be airing new episodes starting this Friday.

Josette - thanks so much for posting this!  Re: the crazy titles of the shows, on this very forum (waaay back many pages ago), some extremely creative people who post here offered their suggestions for titles of ID programs.  If you haven't seen it, I strongly recommend -- you'll be laughing your ass off, for sure! 

Anyhow, getting back to the article, I quote:

"However soothingly familiar are the elements of each case, there is no end of fresh cases. The network airs 650 hours of originals each year, nearly two new hours every day."

I call bullshit on this statement -- I'm willing to bet at least 25% (and probably far more) of the shows are re-enactments of the same crimes just in different formats with a new "catchy" title. 

Again, thanks for posting.

Edited by Maizie131
  • Love 3

I call bullshit on this statement -- I'm willing to bet at least 25% (and probably far more) of the shows are re-enactments of the same crimes just in different formats with a new "catchy" title.

What I'm finding a lot of, is reworking old episodes of shows, and throwing in a few new scenes and giving it a new title and "original air date."

A&E is doing this on The First 48, and Discovery is doing this on some of the ER shows.

ETA:

Four Weddings has done this as a "worst blunders," and several flipping shows are using this ploy.

Edited by auntjess
  • Love 4

I agree, many of these are just reworked. I actually saw two in the last week or so -- one was the murder of that blond girl, Brooke Wilberger,  the other was this season's first episode of The Perfect Murder about that woman who was killed at the construction site. Both of those stories have been done soooooo many times, yet these were billed as "new" shows and they interviewed family members, etc., and all of these family members have all been interviewed on the other shows as well. So, here's what I wonder: Do these families just keep saying yes to interviews about their loved ones deaths, or are the interviews reused? I can't imagine, if that happened to me (god forbid!) I can maybe see doing one show, but to talk about it over and over and over? I don't think so. I'm pretty confident in saying I would stop at just the one, if even that. 

• Love 7

So, here's what I wonder: Do these families just keep saying yes to interviews about their loved ones deaths, or are the interviews reused? I can't imagine, if that happened to me (god forbid!) I can maybe see doing one show, but to talk about it over and over and over? I don't think so. I'm pretty confident in saying I would stop at just the one, if even that.

KellsBells - I've wondered this exact same thing myself.  In some of the stories (of murders) repeated in different formats, it's obvious the survivors/loved ones are older than in the original 20/20, or whatever program where they were first interviewed.  Nor could I imagine even giving one interview after such a horrific event   However, as it's been said many times, people deal with grief in different ways - they may feel better talking about it (& sharing their grief with 10 million viewers).  I've also wondered if these people are paid - my guess is they are but I could be wrong. 

• Love 2

That commercial for "Murder Made me Famous" about Jodi Arias is absolutely terrifying. 

Holy Toledo - I haven't seen this commercial.  Guess I have to stop fast-forwarding through them!  Every month or so I Google her name for any news as to how she's doing in the 100+ degree daily temps in that prison where she's spending the remaining days of her life.  I can never find a thing about her.  Anyone know?

• Love 3

Holy Toledo - I haven't seen this commercial.  Guess I have to stop fast-forwarding through them!  Every month or so I Google her name for any news as to how she's doing in the 100+ degree daily temps in that prison where she's spending the remaining days of her life.  I can never find a thing about her.  Anyone know?

Hopefully she's getting crotch rot.

• Love 4

I agreed to be interviewed about my great nephew's murder. Only one local news station and only once. They had helped me get information earlier in the day when I couldn't find things out. I won't do any more. I don't think his murder would have gotten attention if I hadn't called several tv stations trying to find out something. I think it was important to cover a story of a 3 yr old being murdered in foster care. I have no use for our state's child protection.

• Love 9

friendperidot, I know that must have been hard for you. For as desperate as some are to have children we do seem to throw many away with out looking back.

If you are ready I would like to hear your story.

• Love 4

That commercial for "Murder Made me Famous" about Jodi Arias is absolutely terrifying. 

I was obsessed with her trial and watched every minute of coverage. I often wonder what her life is like now, but I had not seen this commercial. If there is something in the works, I would love to see it. I hate to see her get any more publicity though, since she loves that. I hope his family has been able to move on. What a nightmare for them.

• Love 1

I can't imagine that I'd watch yet another show about Jodi whatshername - a story that's been so overdone by the media that you can't even stick a fork in it, because all that's left is ashes.  

I'll never understand why they elevated this story so much, except for the obvious angles. It wasn't much of a mystery. They beat this dead horse until it turned to glue. Hard to believe anyone is still interested.

• Love 6

Evil Kin continues to astound me.  That families actually commit crimes together.  I know women can be as evil, I just hate to see women stand by their men and get almost no sentence for their part.  Last night on Highway to Hell the two women were involved in the crime spree as far as conning people etc.  

It sounded like the two males were singing like canaries so why did they need the women's testimonies? They got to make a plea and serve almost no time?

I saw one of these a week or so ago and, like you, was gobsmacked at the Let's-get-together-and-kill-as-family theme. And it's a whole series of these people? The guy I saw was a right evil bastard and unfortunately for him, because of his family's ineptitude at murder, numerous attempts were made. Good grief.

Kind of broke my own rule about not watching Disappeared and had it on while getting ready for work this morning. Figured I wouldn't get caught up in the story when it was just background. Right.

I saw most of the episode about Mitrice Richardson who disappeared after having been held briefly by the LASD and released in the middle of the night. Released miles from where she was picked up. The stories surrounding this were so odd and convoluted and because of the involvement of The Authorities I was hooked and needed some closure so found this to fill in some blanks and this for a kind of end-story

Don't know if anyone else saw this one but I found it very very troubling. Episode title is Lost in the Dark.

• Love 2

I was watching Disappeared on Thursday morning.What happened to Braden? I had to leave before the show ended. I think families appear on true crime shows because they are often the first suspects and they want to give their side of the story.

The show that makes me say "WTF??" is Deadly Devotion. To kill with your relatives, well, crazy families, and plenty of women will do anything to keep a man. But to follow some of these weird religions, preachers, cults, whatever, and do what they say no matter what? I can't even imagine. It also kind of makes me laugh when the ID channel shows highlight some of these very religious people who commit crimes and present it as so surprising because they were a minister, or rabbi or attended church regularly -- don't they watch their own channel?

• Love 8

Finally watched the new episode of Deadly Woman. I have a love for this series, mainly because it was the first one I really got hooked on from the ID channel or whatever it was called during it's early years. Plus, the narrator of the episodes can do no wrong in my book. Her creepy/ campy affect is just to die for. well,....not literally.

One improvement in the episodes is they post an actual picture of the murderer at the end of each story. Nice touch. I don't know how much longer this one can be on. How many more female killers are there? Well, Karla Homolka was never portrayed, but i think laws are much stricter in Canada regarding media coverage and in my opinion the crazy bitch got off too easy. 

• Love 2

Aurora. Deadly Women was my first too.  I had stumbled across it and it and it did scare me.  I think Wicked Attractions was on after.  That show was too much.  People who kill together really, really scare me because if someone loses their nerve someone else will do it.

Also, one person will egg on another to do violent things.  The pack mentality or something.  We can be ugly as a group.

I like that they show crimes from the UK and other places.  Snapped has been on for years and stiil no shortage,

• Love 2

Finally watched the new episode of Deadly Woman. I have a love for this series, mainly because it was the first one I really got hooked on from the ID channel or whatever it was called during it's early years. Plus, the narrator of the episodes can do no wrong in my book. Her creepy/ campy affect is just to die for. well,....not literally.

One improvement in the episodes is they post an actual picture of the murderer at the end of each story. Nice touch. I don't know how much longer this one can be on. How many more female killers are there? Well, Karla Homolka was never portrayed, but i think laws are much stricter in Canada regarding media coverage and in my opinion the crazy bitch got off too easy. 

I know I've seen Karla Homolka's story portrayed on at least one ID show, though I can't recall which.   They all sort of blend together ... and congeal. 

• Love 4