Type keyword(s) to search

Bobby Flay: Grilling His Way To Fame

• Start Topic

I wonder why the network gives Flay so much air time?  He looks to be smug, arrogant and a jerk.  I can not stand to see him and Giada together.

Umm, because he gets good ratings and makes them lots of money? Just a wild guess. :-)

• Love 3

Umm, because he gets good ratings and makes them lots of money? Just a wild guess. :-)

So does Guy and a lot of people complain about him.  :)  

I do not know what anyone watches cheater Flay, but to each their own.  I hate that he is part of FNS.

• Love 1

I have always thought Bobby was a little bit arrogant and jerky but at least somewhat loveable, and I've certainly respected him as a chef.  With all I've been reading about him lately the loveable part is becoming much harder for me to summon up, I must admit.  And I admit that despite this, I will still watch the show.  The show is such a train wreck it's like I can't take my eyes off of it.  I admit, I'm hooked.

• Love 2

He always kind of rubbed me the wrong way and doesn't seem particularly revered or held in high esteem by other chefs. I also think it's odd that he rarely talks about his daughter - maybe it is her wish, but I find it odd that he gushes and flirts with women on TV and doesn't present himself as more of a stable, family man.

Now with recent publicity and facts about how he has treated his third wife and honored his marriage coming to light I do not enjoy seeing him. I wish they would have chosen different hosts for this season.

• Love 3

I liked that show. Although Flay went through the whole "elevate" cliche, I thought he genuinely respected the talent and cuisine displayed by his "competitors".

It all seemed to be in good fun.

• Love 5

He always kind of rubbed me the wrong way and doesn't seem particularly revered or held in high esteem by other chefs. I also think it's odd that he rarely talks about his daughter - maybe it is her wish, but I find it odd that he gushes and flirts with women on TV and doesn't present himself as more of a stable, family man.

Now with recent publicity and facts about how he has treated his third wife and honored his marriage coming to light I do not enjoy seeing him. I wish they would have chosen different hosts for this season.

Flay had a St. Patrick's Day special where he toured Ireland with his daughter several years ago. She seemed to be around 13-14 them. If she is now college age, I could see her not wanting her father to comment on her.

Again, recently on Beat Bobby Flay, there was a segment where he had experience his opponent didn't expect. He said that he cooked it for his wife for their first day and frequently since. I think it was biscuits or brunch. He spoke lovingly of her.

Then about a month after that showed, there was the announcement that March filed for divorce. I think the final straw was Bobby returning to FL for shooting for FN while she was in the hospital with appendicitis. He then sent his assistant to pick her up from the hospital.

Bobby started out being arrogant. I've watched him grow over the different shows. I felt he could be a great teacher. However, IF the reports are true, he's going through a mid life crisis where he's an ass.

Not sure where to put this, but it seems as good a place as any. What's the deal with all three of the FNS hosts (well, 2 and a former) divorcing this year?? Bobby, Giada and Alton all divorcing. Was there a big drunken orgy with Lenny we didn't hear about?

• Love 3
(edited)

Alton is getting divorced?!!  I didn't know that.

I've always enjoyed Bobby Flay, despite many people's assertions of arrogance, etc.  I can't explain why, but ever since I learned that he was divorcing Stephanie, I've had a bad taste in my mouth about him.  I suspect it's the cheating business that bothers me.  I always thought he was a "nice guy," but I can't seem to rationalize "nice" with "cheating."  Bobby is currently the IT boy of the FN.  Emeril liked to say that he was passing the gauntlet on to Bobby.  As such, though, I have to wonder whether success has spoiled Bobby Flay, or whether he was a rogue to begin with.  I can't see him getting a star on Hollywood's Walk of Fame -- maybe NYC or Vegas, but he's done nothing for the film industry.

Edited by Lura
  • Love 1

The Walk of Fame is not just for people who've become famous in films, it's TV, radio and music as well.

It's also for people who've become famous for their theatrical/live performance work. There are 5 categories in which someone can be awarded a star & I'm pretty sure at least 1 person, if not more, has received a star in all 5 categories (yes, it's apparently possible [& "legal"] to be awarded--at different times--for work in different genres of entertainment/performance).

http://www.walkoffame.com/

• Love 2

Alton is getting divorced?!!  I didn't know that.

I'm pretty sure Alton's marriage came to an end first.  It was just done very much on the down-low.

Every time I see this thread title, I read "Girling His Way to Fame."  Which is unfortunate given his accomplishments but there it is.

• Love 4
Every time I see this thread title, I read "Girling His Way to Fame."

*holding my sides, laughing* That's a good one, Aquarius!  And what an appropriate thought!

I think the order of the divorces among the hosts/ex-hosts was Giada, Alton, then Bobby. That's the order in which I heard about them anyway.

But, filing-wise, Giada & Alton could perhaps be flipped, because of how long it can take some couples to settle division of property & other assets. I remember Giada's was announced the end of last year/beginning of this year, but I don't remember if the thing I read about Alton's mentioned when his was actually filed; what I read (& I think I posted the link to) just said his was finalized.

And on that note, Bobby's divorce is now apparently finalized. I used the least tabloid-y/celebrity news-y/gossipy link I could find, by the way.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/55a9394ce4b0f904bebfe5c1?

Bobby's life story is being romanticized on Biography, airing on FYI, if anyone wants to watch. Father was an attorney, mother high up in the Estee Lauder cosmetics firm. I'd first heard about Bobby quitting school at a young age, leading me to believe he had some type of poor upbringing. He was actually just a lazy, bored unmotivated kid who didn't want to stick to anything. Going to work in a kitchen owned by his father and his business partner he finally had to either sink or swim.

• Love 3

Snarklepuss, there is some connection between Bobby Flay and Saratoga.  Someone else could probably tell you more about it than I can.  I've heard Bobby mention several times that he loves going up there for the races.  Then, there was some talk about Bobby having a horse that he races there.  Finally, during the divorce proceedings, it was brought out that Bobby had bought his wife, Stephanie, a horse as a gift when they were married.  All of this leads me to think that maybe  Dom and Eddie were up there because they knew Bobby would be.  They could have even discussed it ahead of time with Bobby.  Whatever, I tend to see this as a "get closer to Bobby" move than anything else -- and I don't mean that in a sinister way or a way of getting ahead in the competition.

I admit that I did not read through the entirety of these articles. I did a quick Google search about Bobby and horses and Saratoga. Both quotes were in the bodies of the Google links.

Though he seems to do a commendable job making sure that horses are comfortable in retirement his memory of Saratoga is a mini-misfire.

"... my grandfather took me upstate to Saratoga Springs for the first time...

And in another article:

“My father took me to Saratoga Springs race track as a kid and I’ve been a fan ever since.”

No big deal but, geesh.

Here's Bobby calling a race at Saratoga in 2009:

He is also mentioned in this 2010 NY Times article as often eating breakfast in Mrs. London's bake shop in Saratoga:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/11/dining/reviews/11SSide.html

This article on "Saratoga.com" from 2011 discusses how Bobby visits Saratoga often and was hosting a gala for the Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation.  It also mentions other things he has done there, such as doing an episode of "Throwdown" in 2006.

http://www.saratoga.com/whatsnew/2011/07/bobby-flay-hosts-gala.html

He is on the Board of Directors of the NY Racing Association:

https://www.nyra.com/saratoga/information/board-of-directors/

The quote below comes from this article:

http://specials.people.com/partners/on-track-with-bobby-flay/t1/114

Born and raised in Manhattan, Flay, 49, attended his first race at Saratoga Race Course in Saratoga Springs, New York, with his grandfather Willie Flay. He was 15 at the time, and hasn't missed a season at the venerable course, the oldest in the nation, since. A decade ago, the chef decided to do more than watch the horses run, and invested in his first thoroughbred, Sophie's Salad, named after his daughter, now 18. In 2010, Flay's horse, More Than Real, won at Saratoga, and later that same year went on to win one of the 13 championship races at the prestigious Breeders' Cup.

I think it's safe to say that Bobby must have "discovered" Dom while up at the track.  I would be very surprised if he didn't have anything to do with it.

I liked that vvideo of Bobby calling the race, although I didn't think the race was nearly as exciting as Bobby's efforts to keep the horses straight!  Bobby doesn't seem to be quite ready for prime time.

When turning on my television earlier, or yesterday, or one day last week (I'm old and forgetful), I caught the tail end of interview with Bobby where he said that he and Damaris Phillips(?) (old and tired and forgetful) were going to begin filming a talk show-ish show this summer. I meant to look and see if I could find an article, but keep getting distracted by shiny things, so I thought I'd put it here and go and look later, if I remember, which I won't. 

Since I missed most of the interview I may be wrong, but it sounded like it was going to center around cooking, which seemed strange to me since there is already The Kitchen and The Chew. Robert Irvine had a Jerry Springer-ish show that had nothing to do with cooking, but I never watched it, so it's possible Bobby and Damaris' will have nothing to do with food, either. 

I can't stand Demaris.  I don't know why, either.  I do like Bobby Flay, and I love watching him cook.  I've learned so much from him, mostly about chiles (and was inspired to learn more on my own, too).   I am not fond of The Chew, nor The Kitchen (all of the shouting, and of course, Jeff Moron ruin it for me).  I'd like to see them pare The Kitchen down to GZ & Marcella from Tia-huana....she's classically French trained and can really cook, many more styles than just Mexican, although I am prejudiced toward all Mexican food.   The Kitchen with those two hosts, and some guests (and no shouting audience) would be something I wouldn't miss.  Maybe Mini-Me Martha would fit in as a third host to a re-configured show in a very good way, who knows?

• Love 1
(edited)
On 6/6/2015 at 3:47 PM, smiley13 said:

I wonder why the network gives Flay so much air time?  He looks to be smug, arrogant and a jerk.  I can not stand to see him and Giada together.

I agree on that much. I do think he's a good chef and knowing that he's an animal lover..well, that makes me like him more. I know that has nothing to do with his skills as a chef  but for me, it does show that he has some important qualities that I value in any human being....even a FN Star!

Edited by chenoa333
Afterthought
  • Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

I agree on that much. I do think he's a good chef and knowing that he's an animal lover..well, that makes me like him more. 

I like him and don't find him smug.  He is well loved by all of his fellow chefs and FN, that says a lot.  He is not a favorite of mine but I appreciate his skill and calm temperament.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
On 6/17/2017 at 8:07 PM, wings707 said:

I like him and don't find him smug.  He is well loved by all of his fellow chefs and FN, that says a lot.  He is not a favorite of mine but I appreciate his skill and calm temperament.  

I don't have the hate for Bobby that some do either. He's not a favorite of mine, but the people I know who complain about him mention his divorce debacle. 

I'm not sure what that has to do with his culinary ability. 

• Love 2

I think his divorce showed him to be a callous ass, more so than you would expect in a divorce. His mother-in-law lived in their home, she was receiving end-of-life care and was connected to medical equipment. According to their prenuptial agreement, Stephanie had thirty days to vacate the home, and he had to pay her $5000 a month. Her response to the divorce petition made it sound like the divorce was unexpected and she wasn't in position to move her mother, who was medically fragile. 

I didn't keep up with the drama surrounding it, so I don't know if he made an allowance and she was allowed to stay longer, but the originally filing said she had thirty days to leave and he knew her mother was dying. He just came across poorly. 

One of the guys I work with has 3 sons, 2 look just like him. The kicker is the youngest one isn't with his wife, he claims they were broken up at the time, but he really cheated on her. That son is his clone. An exact replica. She's a better woman than I am. I MIGHT, and that's a big might, be able to get over the cheating since they had 2 sons, but knock her up? Yeah, that's your new family now. Especially since that son looks just like him, he's got to be a walking reminder every time she sees him.