• Start Topic

POLL CLOSED

228 members have voted

1. 1. How many chickens do you want?

• One chicken.
    • Two chickens.
    • All the chickens.

Oberyn has a purty mouth.

And, I smiled when he channeled Gomez Addams, kissing his way up Mortica's arm.

Sandor.. I wouldn't want to warg myself into his shoe.. 

He's working one greasy hair-do

<shudder>

Waiter, bring me episode 2!

going by the music I'm supposed to be disturbed by Arya because she got revenge for Lommy. I'm not. What other direction could she possibly take at this point? That poor kid's broken to pieces.

Heh, I'm not disturbed by it either. She has been in disguise, on the run, finding out her family members have been killed, watching her friends be killed right in front of her, and just trying to survive. She has endured a lot and the thing that's been keeping her focused is the idea that she will get revenge on those who have hurt her and her family. I was glad she got some tonight (I'll admit maybe that's partly because I've been watching Revenge for three season and i'm getting tired of waiting for Emily to take down the Graysons). She killed someone who murdered a little boy in cold blood. I'm totally down with that.

Olenna's pure delight at meeting Brienne was awesome. I could watch Olenna just do a running commentary on everything in King's Landing.

Shae needs to STFU. She knows exactly why she needs to be careful but she is letting her petty and unfounded jealousy get in the way of any common sense she used to have.

Poor Jaime. The one person who he thought would always love him no matter what has turned a corner and is now shutting him out too. Cersei is being as immature and childish as Shae. Yes, Cersei, Jaime left you all alone. Being captured, taken prisoner, and having his hand chopped off was nothing compared to your suffering.

• Love 1

I wondered, after seeing Jamie's new 'do, if it was a conscious decision to make him and Joffery look strikingly similar. I can't imagine that with Jamie back that that whole can won't be opened again.

I was wondering about that during Jaime's scene with Tywin.  I want to know his thoughts on his "Baratheon" grandson! Or is it an open secret at this point? Anyone who dares to speak on it will probably be killed, though.  

I'm hope Dany's story is going to go somewhere different, because it feels like it's just going to be another "Oh, this town is full of a bunch of slave-owning dicks, that Dany needs to sick her dragons on." 

During the opening credits I was wondering how people felt about seeing yet another eastern city pop up.

And speaking of:

milk of the pop-up.

Brilliant.

I am a 62 year old grandmother. I want to be Arya when I grow up.

Hee!

I'm just rooting for Arya to grow up. Sadly, the more episodes like this make me like her (and The Hound), the less I like their chances.

(edited)

I love this show! It did not disappoint.

I loved Lady Olenna admiring Brieanne. She looked so shocked to hear something nice said about herself. Margery talking smack about Joffery, while awesome was not wise. I'm glad her grandmother warned her. The game is always being played you can't let your guard down even for a minute.

Brieanne/Jamie need to have more scenes, those two are great together. Despite still wanting to bang his sister, Jamie has changed. He's more honest and real. Tywin needs to die for treating his kids the way he does. Of course he's probably upset that what he thinks his only true heir is now a cripple. Cercsi is going to be sorry if she loses her only ally. Joffery's still a dick, not much to say about that except Jack Gleeson is great in this role. Tyrion knows his family is screwed with the Prince of Dorne wanting revenge.

Looks like Dany's dragons are in their moody teenage years. Sucks for any parent, more so if your kids can shoot fire, have talons and can fly. Don't know how I feel about new Daario, he doesn't look like Fabio anymore so sort of plus. But now he looks like most of the males in Westeros.

Prince Oberyn was great. I can't wait to see more of him.

I loved Arya getting her revenge on, repeating verbatim what Polliver said to Lemmy. I love seeing the Hound and Arya's unlikely partnership. They showed the scene when he told her to tell him is she was planning on killing people, so in this episode she told him. Then he took care them. I know he wants the money so he needs to keep her alive, but I think the Hound is starting to respect her a little.

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

I’d watch the hell out of the Arya and the Hound Show.  An hour of them riding around the countryside dispensing their form of justice while sniping at each other would be hysterical.  There was a very subtle call-back in the way Arya killed two men in that fight scene:  she didn’t swing the sword at them but rather stuck them with the pointy end.  Just like Jon told her waaaay back in the second episode of S1.

The title map was interesting.  It showed Dragonstone, the Dreadfort, and Winterfell, but there weren’t any scenes in those locations.  I was intrigued that the map zoomed west to show Meereen on Slaver’s Bay instead of going east like previous seasons. 

On a completely shallow note, Pod was looking fine tonight.

When Joffrey was mocking Jaime’s list of accomplishments in the White Book, I wanted Jaime to cuff him with his golden hand.  Jaime’s new haircut bugged me.  His hair and the casual clothes he was wearing with Cercei were too modern; it looked like he just stepped out of a J.C. Penney’s catalog.

Looks like Shae's days are numbered.  I can't even imagine what Cersei is going to do to her.

And I say “good”.  While I don’t want Cercei to have any sort of hold over Tyrion, Shae’s jealous girlfriend petulance is getting on my nerves.

• Love 1
(edited)

Praise the Lord of Light, this show is back and the first episode did not let me down!

I am a bit conflicted because I love Charles Dance, but Tywin is such a complete bastard to his family. I was so upset when he had "Ice" melted down, but was the sheath he pulled the sword out of Grey Wind or some random wolf? I couldn't tell, but I'm leaning towards the latter because it looked like it had a head, whereas Grey Wind...

LOVED Arya being reunited with "Needle" and seeing her get justice for Lommy; she and The Hound are gold together. Although now since he said he's taking her to the Eyrie, it seems less likely she'll ever see Gendry again.

Lady Olenna and Brienne need more scenes together, hearing her gush and marvel over Brienne was great. And I had the same vibe as CeeBeeGee that Jaime asked Brienne if they were related because he wants to sleep with her now. I do hope that Jaime gets over Cersie really quickly, I would think that with all that happened to him last season he would see her narcissistic pettiness for what it really is and let her go. Instead I get her still calling the shots. Boo.

Shae and her jealousy and foolishness can get off of my screen now.

Daario noticed that Grey Worm likes Missandei, however I can't ship them because every time I do with this show, at least one of the pair dies.

I booed when the credits rolled, that was the fastest hour in television.

Edited by Popples

Re: dragons and control -- we've heard tales of Targaryens past RIDING dragons, which would seem to imply a large degree of control. So...when will Dany try riding a dragon? are they big enough yet? and who gets to ride the other 2?

When I saw the Dreadfort in the credits, my heart sank a bit. I was actually relieved we never saw any Bolton action this episode because I am weary of Theon torture.

Great job in the visual impact of the devastated landscape that Arya and the Hound were traveling through. The Mountain's work (I assume) is a terrible thing to behold.

Jaime’s new haircut bugged me.  His hair and the casual clothes he was wearing with Cercei were too modern; it looked like he just stepped out of a J.C. Penney’s catalog.

Thank goodness someone else agrees with me, though it felt more like an A&F catalog.  I didn't even recognize Jamie at first, I was like, "who's that?" Surprised Cercei didn't complain about Jamie's hair.

I think I actually like Jon Snow now.  Last season, I was pissed (even though I read the book and knew it was coming) that Robb got killed because that meant I was going to have to look at Kit Harrington instead of Richard Madden, and I really wished that they could have switched parts.  Still kind of feel that way since I think Richard Madden is WAY hotter than Kit Harrington who reminds me of an A&F model.

Jaime: Poor guy is having a mid-life crisis, but the cherry red convertible hasn't been invented.

Ellaria Sand: I'm a bastard, she's a whore, you're a procurer.  I don't think Stannis would condone her behavior, but he'd appreciate her honesty and unwillingness to tell a lie, even as a social courtesy.

The Hound: Loved what he thought about people who name their swords.

It's worth noting that this is the first time Arya has (personally, as opposed to having Jaquan Hagar do the deed) killed in cold blood. One more milestone on her journey of transformation from Lady Arya Stark of Winterfell to...what? What is she becoming?

Also, I want to know if that landlord/tavern keeper was killed or hurt in that melee? It looked like he was in the mix there.

If the Hound does end up taking her to the Eyrie, Littlefinger is there. I wonder what his reaction will be to the horrible circumstances of Cat's death? And will he recognize Arya as Tywin's cupbearer?

(edited)

GoT is definitely the show that gives you all the chickens. I'm going to watch it again tonght and I haven't done that for a show in a long time.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I loved Jon Snow being all assertive, he's not a baby crow anymore.

It's worth noting that this is the first time Arya has (personally, as opposed to having Jaquan Hagar do the deed) killed in cold blood.

Didn't she kill one of those guys that was talking about Robb last season? That's when the Hound asked her to tell him if she planned on killing people. So that would be the second time she killed in cold blood. Arya's becoming hardened and it looks like she's going down a dark path. Having the Hound as her first teacher will probably help with that.

Edited by Sakura12

"Didn't she kill one of those guys that was talking about Robb last season?." That felt more reactive to me--she did use strategy (the fakeout with the coin) but she was really flipping out with the knife there, you could hear her crying. This was much more controlled, especially the way she quoted his lines back to him.

I completly forgot that Brieanne and Margaery would know each other from being with Renley. Because at first I was wondering why she was pleading her case to Margaery. Then I was like, that's right Margaery was Renley's Queen.

I hated than Ned's sword was melted down, but I appreciate the writers' trust in the veiwers to never mention his name.  We just knew.

Jamie's sarcastic 'wave' goodbye was priceless.

And Arya is becoming quite a force to be reckoned with.  I like how she kept giving Polliver clues to who she was by repeating what he had said to her, then his final expression of comprehension just before... well, before she stuck him with the pointy end.

• Love 1
When I saw the Dreadfort in the credits, my heart sank a bit. I was actually relieved we never saw any Bolton action this episode because I am weary of Theon torture.

Well, at some point his sister has to show up given that we last saw her gathering together 50 of the deadliest killers or something like that. I agree though, I am done with the Theon torture. It makes sense they didn't visit that story in the premier. Too many other balls to set rolling before we dial up that one.

As much as I love GoT full-tilt action episodes, I thoroughly enjoyed having an episode heavy in the characters and their stories. I thought this episode had just the right amount of dialogue, tension and set-up for the "oh s#it" episodes sure to come.

By the time the ending with the Hound and Arya rolled around, I'd nearly forgotten about the revelation about Oberyn and his relationship to the Targaryons (that was new info for the Unsullied wasn't it?). Very cool and it feeds nicely into our Unsullied speculation. 

(edited)

My goodness, what a good start to the season. I think we touched on most of the characters, I know there was a couple players missed, but an excellent start. It was a very satisfying episode; some seasons seemed to take 2 episodes to get on track, but by the credits of s4d1 It felt like the end of an excellent meal; completely sated for the for time being, but I'm looking forward to building an appetite next sunday.

I must admit, the recap at the beginning had me worried, it seems to touch on a few odd scenes (SirDontos anyone) but fortunately it all made sense by the end... like I knew it would. Never a doubt in my mind. Ahem.

I gotta say, there has to be a better way to roast an arm. Does leaving the skin on make cracklin'? I'm not an expert in long pig cuisine.

I feel so bad for Jamie, even though he's a complete douchebag. Who knew getting home would be shittier than the world's worst roadtrip?

I'm surprised Arya didn't jump in and help quicker... or maybe things happened a little too fast?

Fun fact: When Shae is horny, she loses all sense of self preservation.

Edited by ottomaddox

I'm surprised Arya didn't jump in and help quicker... or maybe things happened a little too fast?

My take on that is the Hound is still right up there on Ayra's 'kill list,' so she was hesitant to step in, half-hoping he'd be killed too, along with everybody else.  Then, she changed her mind and jumped in to help.  Ayra being Ayra, though, I'm guessing he's still right up there on her kill list.  Just 'not today' as Syrio would say.

That was really intense, but I liked it overall.  

Very curious to see where they go with the tension between Jaime and Joffrey.  Joffrey is such a little shit, and Jaime did not look like he intended to tolerate the personal attacks much longer.  I'm starting to suspect that Tywin is well aware that the kids are Jaime's, not Robert's, and that's part of his motivation to get Jaime out of there.  That, and his disappointment in Jaime for getting himself kidnapped and maimed.  

I don't really want all the Lannisters to die.  A few of them, yes.  But I think there's a real story to tell with Joffrey being stripped of power and held prisoner somewhere for a while, especially if he finds out that Jaime is his dad.  Then they can kill him. 

Arya - girl is a hot mess, and I love it.  The scenes with her and Sandor started becoming some of my favorites last season, and this episode did not disappoint.  It's a little odd to me that he seems so attached to/ protective of her, but "a man has to have a code"...

(edited)

Great premiere. I love Tyrion. Peter Dinklage is so good. Shae's jealousy and pettiness days will be the end of her. Oberyn is a great new addition.

So Cersei is done with Jaime. Good. He might not be a good man, but even he deserves better than her and their S&M son. He and Brienne are a great team, maybe more later on. Olenna and Margaery are wonderful with Brienne.

Jon Snow has finally come into his own. About time. 

Dany's dragons are stunningly done. I have liked that new actor who plays Daario from his days from Treme so I am glad to see him here.

Arya is a real bad ass and apparently a lot crazy too. I can't stand the Hound and his misygonisic bs, but he did make me laugh

Edited by SimoneS
I hated than Ned's sword was melted down, but I appreciate the writers' trust in the veiwers to never mention his name.  We just knew.

Unless you were me and you figured it was Robb's sword.  But at least I mostly got the point.  Thank God for y'all, though cause I miss a lot on this show.  

• Love 2

Poor Jaime. The one person who he thought would always love him no matter what has turned a corner and is now shutting him out too.

Yeah, you know a show has really gotten under your skin and muddled things up a bit, when you find yourself feeling sorry for a guy because his sister won't have sex with him anymore.

• Love 17

Well, at some point his sister has to show up given that we last saw her gathering together 50 of the deadliest killers or something like that. I agree though, I am done with the Theon torture. It makes sense they didn't visit that story in the premier. Too many other balls to set rolling before we dial up that one.

I don't think we have to worry about his balls rolling.

• Love 5
(edited)

I sincerely hope it wasn't Uncle Benjen.  *sniff*

Oh yes!  Good point, although that was one remarkably well-preserved corpse if it was...  Hasn't Benjen been gone since S1?

Edited by berwoman

The hour didn’t fly by for me, but I was actually quite tense, not wanting it to end (and expecting someone I liked to get killed at any point).

I am firmly on Team Dirty Jaime.

I wonder if Tywin waited to forge that sword after Jaime’s safe return (or if we’re supposed to believe that cold open was something in a different time period, perhaps after he arrived at King’s Landing).

I really would desperately love for Danaerys’ new adventure in Mereen to have a different flavor than what we’ve seen (meet with slaver city-lords – threaten – overthrow – throw the newly freed slaves on the heap with the others – repeat)…but the fact that this city decides to welcome her with its dead slave mile markers suggests we’re in for more of the same. Sigh.  It doesn’t even make sense. Do they just have so many slaves to spare that they can afford this hideous decoration? Aren’t those slaves ( in their way of thinking) valuable property, if not precious lives? And why piss Dany off? Don’t they know she has DRAGONS?

Perhaps because we didn’t visit Dragonstone this ep, there’s no sense that all the great houses received this missive from the Night’s Watch about the White Walkers. I would’ve liked someone to reference that.

When Tormund Giantsbane is scared of someone, I am REALLY scared of that someone.

I think it’s been about 20 years since Inigo Martell’s (tm White Stumbler) sister and her kids were murdered. Why is he seeking vengeance NOW? Maybe he’s actually a vampire, and he needs to be invited.

I found it interesting that even though Ellaria Sand flew to try to stop Oberyn’s confrontation with those Lannisters (Lannister soldiers?), in the aftermath, his knife tricks seemed to make her pretty horny.

Add me to the chorus of folks heartbroken over the cold open with the sword re-forging. And I thought it was Robb’s sword. Realizing from the forums that it was Ned’s just made it worse.

Oberyn is kinda cool, too. Plays hard and fights hard. If it is common knowledge that he hates the Lannisters, why was he invited to the wedding?

He wasn't specifically invited. The Lannisters invited the Martell family to the wedding because not inviting a high ranking noble family like that (who also has Myrcella in their possession as a betrothed bride to be) would be a huge insult. The Lannisters expected Oberyn's older brother to attend, not Oberyn.

I completly forgot that Brieanne and Margaery would know each other from being with Renley. Because at first I was wondering why she was pleading her case to Margaery. Then I was like, that's right Margaery was Renley's Queen.

Me, too! It seems ages ago when we saw where Brienne started. She apologized for knocking Loras into the dirt -- I'd completely forgotten that swordfight. Or that Margery and she both cared about Renley, in their own ways...

I hated the Theon torture scenes last season. Too much torture! Hated it. I am really hoping they dial it down this season, or just bring an end to it already. I am looking forward to his sister arriving on the scene, though.

I gotta say, there has to be a better way to roast an arm. Does leaving the skin on make cracklin'? I'm not an expert in long pig cuisine.

It's finger-licking good!

Perhaps because we didn’t visit Dragonstone this ep, there’s no sense that all the great houses received this missive from the Night’s Watch about the White Walkers. I would’ve liked someone to reference that.

Didn't Cersei say something about Stannis going off to the Wall? Implying the Lannisters also got the message, but were choosing to ignore it, and that they already know Stannis is heading there.

• Love 3

I'm a little surprised the book o' King's Guards didn't even MENTION the Kingslaying. OK yes it was shameful oathbreaking, I suppose, but you'd think something noteworthy like that would be recorded for history's sake if nothing else. Or was it just a brag book?

It did, I believe. I think that was the last thing noted on Jaime's page.

Fun fact: When Shae is horny, she loses all sense of self preservation.

Hee.  The girl has to get her priorities right because I don't think she's long for King's Landing and her mortal coil with her current strategy.  I just hope she doesn't bring down Tyrion with her stupid. 

I may be in the minority, but I actually missed Robb.  He was a favorite of mine (bad decisions and all), so I'm sad he's gone gone gone.

In the credits, I really enjoyed seeing Dreadfort.  I simply don't remember seeing it in the credits previously, but the gear effect was neat. 

Like many of you, I think Arya is a badass.  The moment the music swelled and you see her on her own horse, I smiled.  I am concerned that she's never going to be able to be "okay" and function "normally".  Though, it's not like the child has had an opportunity to be a normal highborn girl in a while. 

On the shallow side, I'm glad to see Jamie's pretty face with the hair cut.  I forgot what a looker he is.  The gold hand exchange was amazing and Jamie's wave to Qyburn was very funny. 

I agree that the Dorne folk, especially Oberyn, made a fabulous impression.  Oberyn's face when he told Tyrion the story about his sister was just so perfect with its mix of anger, pain, sadness and, finally, fury.

Not a fan of Jaime's new haircut but loving the interaction between him and Brienne.  Did anyone else notice that Brienne was wearing something that looked like culottes?  I guess there must be some kind of rule where women are supposed to only wear dresses in King's Landing and culottes were a compromise for her?  Regardless, I think theywere kind of hilarious.  I really want Brienne and Arya to meet and have Brienne mentor Arya in all ways of swordplay and honor. 

LOVE how hateful and horrible Twyin Lannister is! It was devastating to watch Ned's sword being melted down. Strong start to this season, fans will be rooting for Oberyn to get to Tywin. 

I also love me some dragons.  I was hoping that they could purr when petted, like big scaly kitties with wings.  <3

• Love 2

Of course, no one man would be able to wield Ned Stark's sword, let alone a Lannister! Love Oberyn, even more so because he hates Lannisters. Call unfair on not getting to see at least the guy's bare butt in the brothel. Had to laugh when Jamie told his old man that he didn't want children. Too late for that, dude.

Jimmy Kimmel had a hysterical faux product tie-in ad for KFC using the Hound talking about wanting the chicken. I'm sure it's on his website.

So glad GoT is back!

I really want Brienne and Arya to meet and have Brienne mentor Arya in all ways of swordplay and honor. 

I don't think that's a good idea. As I said in the speculation thread, Brienne is good at swordplay because she's tall and strong. Arya needs a completely different style and I doubt Brienne would be of much help.  She's got more than enough sense of honor from her father already and that won't help her in a fight anyway. She needs to fight smart and dirty, stabbing people from behind or shooting them from distance with a bow. She won't stand a chance in an honorful one-on-one fight.  

• Love 1