Type keyword(s) to search

Minority Report - General Discussion

• Start Topic

ok, did i like miss an episode or what ???

where did his brother come from when in the pilot he was missing and the episode ended with that bad-reception video call.

also, i could swear that the previously on had some scenes which weren't in the pilot.

is there a pilot and then episode 1 or something ???

ok, disregard. i apparently watched the first version of the pilot, and those scenes i missed were in the aired version from last week.

Edited by tanita
  • Love 1

okay, this issue irked me enough to open an account on this board, so please ANYONE let me know if it's just me or is the audio editing at times actually really shoddy?

I've first noticed it in the pilot, but there were several instances again this week were part of some running, in-scene dialogue suddenly sounded distinctly looped (recorded in a soundbooth and spliced into the scene during editing).

The one example that stuck in my mind the most from today was Vega's "51% - that's generous!" after they locked their dating bracelets in the club. During the pilot, I recall at least one instance during the crime-scene exposition scene between Vega and the techie at the very beginning.

I cannot presently recall another TV series (of the recent/current bigger shows with corresponding production value) where I ever picked that up. I've noticed this happen mostly in scenes featuring dialogue by/with Meagan Good, but then again, I find her delivery to be lacking in a lot of places and her acting to be borderline wooden in some scenes. That being said, this is the first time I consciously see her in anything and the actual script of the show doesn't seem to help any of the actors a whole lot, to put it mildly.

@ Iboatedhere:

I agree with you - Stark Sands definitely deserves better. When I first read about him scoring the lead in this show, I was hoping for a chance to see him stretch his legs a little, acting wise - explore some different character traits from his usual foil of all-American decent boy next door, sink his teeth into a conflicted character who has to make (intelligently written) hard moral choices and answer to the consequences. Seems the producers only saw his appearance in Inside Llewyn Davis (aka 'Nate Fick with a Lobotomy') and immediately though "we want that guy".

If I had one free wish with the powers-that-be in TV, I'd ask for a Seth Moulton-type character, played by Sands, to be written into the next season(s) of House of Cards, have him team up with jilted/reformed Doug Stamper and bring down the Underwoods to restore some semblance of honor and integrity at the White House. Ample cameos by everyone from the Generation Kill cast, starting with James Ransone as the Social Media coordinator.

Wishes and horses, I guess.

I liked this episode.  I liked Dash with the book and the taser. Vega's tech friend  is cool but her boss is annoying. I wish Arthur and Dash were more friendly. I like that Dash seems to be connecting to people, hope we see the chess girl again.  Would they stop with the musical name dropping. Iggy, Beyonce,  it just saddens me. 

• Love 1

I am at least more ok with Beyonce surviving into the future than Iggy. 

Dash and Vega and their relationship clearly needs to be the center oh this show, and I think it picked up a lot over this episode. They seemed more fun and warm with each other. It was nice seeing them bond more. 

I like Vega`s assistant/BFF, Dash`s family and his former handler, basically everyone except for Fez. I am trying to figure out if its JUST because I only see Fez when I look at him, or if the actor just does not work here. 

I continue to enjoy seeing the future world building stuff. It cracked me up that people have become nostalgic for the romantic, intimate days of texting and swiping pictures. Also made me sad. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1

... basically everyone except for Fez. I am trying to figure out if its JUST because I only see Fez when I look at him, or if the actor just does not work here. 

I'm a little surprised at the Wilmer hate. For this show, I'm pretty neutral; blow him up, keep him around, whatever. But, I actually like his scenery chewing in From Dusk till Dawn over on El Rey.

Unfortunately, I think something drastic will have to happen on MR for me to stick around. There's not enough distinction for me to do more than kill time watching it. 

• Love 1

The show is OK. Nothing groundbreaking, but I like the two central characters and they have a rather nice chemistry - not necessarily romantic but they gel well, and I like Agatha a lot - wish she would leave the island and join the rest. Arthur could be a little less smarmy, but the difference between the twins is nice. I'm with the Fez hate, he is just an eyesore. But I've never been a fan of his.

You could see that the writer guy wasn't the killer from miles away and that the bartender was.

Is Agatha the sister of the twins or just a fellow kid that had the exact same condition as they did ???

• Love 1

One more thing - if this show tanks, can we at least get a spin-off that tells the story of the war/military action the US fights at Cambrai, Vimy and the Somme between 2015 and 2065, that is substancial enough to result in a monument in a Washington DC park?

Because the monument dominating the background of the park scenes that bookend the show prominently commemorates pretty well known battles that saw no involvement of American troops whatsoever (unless you count two companies of engineers digging reserve trenches way behind the British lines at Cambrai) during WWI - and no fighting at all during WWII.

I know, I know, it's extreme nitpicking. But in the age of internet access on smartphones, is it too much to ask for one of the location scouts/anyone on the production crew around during filming to hit up wikipedia for 10 seconds and place an extra or some inconspicuous object like a trash can in front of the writing?

Is Agatha the sister of the twins or just a fellow kid that had the exact same condition as they did ???

She's their sister, her character was also in the movie.  She's a precog just like her siblings.

She's their sister, her character was also in the movie. She's a precog just like her siblings.

Their whole situation confuses me. The opener said they were born brain dead due to their parents' drug use. Agatha seems more than a few years older than the boys (at least she appeared so in the flashback). So, they had these two tragic pregnancies years apart. How did they end up being experimented on? Was Agatha treated first and then the boys were born and the docs were like "it worked on the girl"? Where was she in the meantime? It also seems weird that there are no others.

.... I am trying to figure out if its JUST because I only see Fez when I look at him, or if the actor just does not work here.

For me, I really don't think it's his Fez past. I don't see Fez when I look at him. Her just comes off really sleazy and gross to me. I think that might be what they're going for, but I can't stand it.

She's their sister, her character was also in the movie.  She's a precog just like her siblings.

Agatha is not their biological sister in the movie. In the movie, her newly sober mother is murdered because she wants to regain custody of Agatha. The issue was that even though PreCrime would still have Arthur and Dash, Agatha was the strongest and the other two were largely useless without her.

• Love 3

What, no commentary on Akeela's inappropriate officewear? I'd prefer more Lara and Akeela scenes over Lara and Blake.   

I didn't know anything about Stark Sands prior to this show, but some of his mannerisms bug me.  I assume it's deliberate for the character, but his bizarrely precise elocution (which I'd normally appreciate) and the way he opens his eyes REALLY wide is just odd.  Still, I like this rapport with Meagan Good. If they go the romantic route, I'm glad they've made him less child-like.  

Not yet caring about Agatha and Arthur.  I'm not clear on what Arthur does for a living. Maybe he hit the lottery and lives off the winnings.  

I don't hate Valderama, but unless Blake is brought in on the main action, he's pointless. Plus, he comes off kind of skeevy, though from what I've read in the past about the actor, it may not be far off the mark. It makes me wonder what Vega ever saw in him romantically, especially as she seems physically repulsed by him much of the time.  I technically want him around because I like the diversity of the main cast, but he's also not that interesting.    

He comes off sleazy in every single scene. And he doesn't have sufficient charm to pull of the sleaze. Blake can go.

I noticed the eye thing with the lead actor as well. The rims of his eyeballs are really really red, it's kind of distracting.

I get the feeling that Arthur is like an insider trader or does stuff on the black market. Names are his specialty, so he is probably selling information to the highest bidder. Maybe with names he gets other references, like passwords and stuff.

IDK really, I watched the movie a long time ago and all this is pretty wage. Obviously, the major mystery is how will the 3 be enslaved to do precrime or some other shady thing, and who will be behind it. Vega is involved somehow, but that shot of her can be something completely out of context and not an affirmation that she will be a part of it.

Edited by tanita

I don't hate Valderama, but unless Blake is brought in on the main action, he's pointless. Plus, he comes off kind of skeevy, though from what I've read in the past about the actor, it may not be far off the mark. It makes me wonder what Vega ever saw in him romantically, especially as she seems physically repulsed by him much of the time. ...

I think that might be part of what bothers me about him. You're right, her reaction to him comes off as repulsion. Have they explicitly said in the show that they are exes. I seem to recall he may have said something about it last night. If not though, they should drop that point.

What, no commentary on Akeela's inappropriate officewear? ...

I think they're going for the quirky hacker lab girl type. (I get to be inappropriate because I'm brilliant! Can we please get over this tired trope?) I actually can't get past what's going on with her face to notice her outfit. Arthur's secretary had a crazy face on too. Why do all these futuristic shows think that people are suddenly going to start wearing makeup in random locations? We've basically been doing cheeks, lips, and lids for eons now.
  • Love 2

I thought there was a reference to a past romance between Blake and Vega in the pilot - something Akeela said?

I get the feeling that Arthur is like an insider trader or does stuff on the black market. Names are his specialty, so he is probably selling information to the highest bidder. Maybe with names he gets other references, like passwords and stuff.

That would make sense - his minimalist yet presumably very expensive office would make sense in that regard.  And since he's very clear that he's all and only about his self-interest, that line of work would be right up his alley. (P.S. Like you, I preferred the central mystery set up in the leaked pilot, though I'm willing to go with what we've got now).  

I think they're going for the quirky hacker lab girl type. (I get to be inappropriate because I'm brilliant! Can we please get over this tired trope?) I actually can't get past what's going on with her face to notice her outfit. Arthur's secretary had a crazy face on too. Why do all these futuristic shows think that people are suddenly going to start wearing makeup in random locations? We've basically been doing cheeks, lips, and lids for eons now.

I thought that was a tattoo, not meant to be make-up. But maybe I read that somewhere vs the show telling me so. The assistant/secretary/whatever did appear to wear make-up, though.

Agatha is not their biological sister in the movie. In the movie, her newly sober mother is murdered because she wants to regain custody of Agatha. The issue was that even though PreCrime would still have Arthur and Dash, Agatha was the strongest and the other two were largely useless without her.

I wasn't sure, it was mentioned they were her brothers, but other than that, they only had minor non-speaking roles unlike Agatha.

I thought that was a tattoo, not meant to be make-up. But maybe I read that somewhere vs the show telling me so. The assistant/secretary/whatever did appear to wear make-up, though.

Oh, maybe it is a tattoo. I read a review that said it was makeup. That was probably an assumption though and very well could be wrong. It does look more like it would be a tattoo. I'm not sure if that makes me feel better about it or not.

Edited by cynic

One feature of world building where they failed is having Detective Vega having killed before and now forensic evidence  catching her lying about a suspect's death when she turned her camera's off. It screams suspension not we are covering for you with the Feds also looking at our killer in the ranks.

I didn't understand what the bracelets were measuring. How could it gauge compatibility when the only info it has from the wearer comes from touching it to the lips?

Well, they said it was measuring the "microbiome" which in this case, would mean mouth bacteria. 

Assuming the writers weren't just abusing a science-y word, then halitosis is the only deal breaker in the future. All those Mentos ads were on to something!

Edited by Latverian Diplomat
  • Love 1

This storyline really drags. Megan Goode really doesn't have enough charisma to be a leading lady (I thought that about deception and nothing she's doing here has changed my mind). I like Arthur, he seems much more interesting than Agatha and Dash who seem so one dimensional.

I'm not expecting brilliance from the case of the week but that was real weak sauce for only the second week.

• Love 1

I'm thoroughly enjoying this show. That may be because I never saw the movie or any of the actors before.
I came into this without expectations or biases.  I do agree that the ex-partner is annoying.

I did see the film, and I see the potential with the show.  I'm in for as long as it's on.  I'm just so grateful for an angst-free black female lead in a drama at the moment that the show would have to significantly tailspin to lose my interest. 

I'm not sure if all episodes for season one have been shot, but if so, I hope Fox will air them all (either as standard programming or online). 

• Love 1

I'm not sure if all episodes for season one have been shot, but if so, I hope Fox will air them all (either as standard programming or online).

So far it's in order unlike some of its other shows that aired their episodes out of order.

Ugh, I made it about 20 minutes into this episode then I turned it off.  I'm not surprised the ratings are terrible for this show... there's no chemistry between any of these people, especially the two leads, and the writing and acting is just dull.

• Love 2

Poor Meagan Good.  It's those damn tattooed eyebrows that are holding her back from being on a good show, along with the mediocre acting.  Mostly though, it's the eyebrows.  SMH.

Already down to 0.9 in the 18-49, so I don't think we need Dash and his abilities to know how this is probably going to turn out.

He was already the weakest one.  I think Agatha knew and that's why she's mostly stayed out of it, at least she was in the movie.

This show is not holding my attention very well, which is never a good sign.  I just watched this episode and I barely remembered the characters from the pilot, or what their stories are. If it doesn't get more interesting and engaging, I'll soon be out.

• Love 1

Why is it called Minority Report? I did not see the movie. The title does not seem to be a good match to the show. I might expect a show with this title to be about government (legislative or judicial).

Why is it called Minority Report? I did not see the movie. The title does not seem to be a good match to the show. I might expect a show with this title to be about government (legislative or judicial).

The movie was based on the book of the same name, from what I can tell.

In the original movie, the police acted upon the visions of the three precogs to prevent crime before it happened.  It transpires that sometimes one precog's vision wouldn't match those of the other two.  Such a vision was filed as a "Minority Report" and essentially ignored, while police action would be taken based on the matching visions of the other two precogs.  In the long run, it turns out that the "Minority Report" was often the more accurate one, and the other two, although in agreement, was less accurate and reliable.  This was the background upon which the plot of the film was painted.

Since there is (so far) only one precog at work in the series, I can't see how any report could be classified as a Minority Report. The TV show probably retains the name solely in order to benefit from viewer recognition of the name itself.  

• Love 4

Since there is (so far) only one precog at work in the series, I can't see how any report could be classified as a Minority Report. The TV show probably retains the name solely in order to benefit from viewer recognition of the name itself.

It should've been a team collaboration with the other 2 precogs.

No, no, no!  A big, flashing red light on the sidearm?  What for?  To give the bad-guy a point of aim in the dark?

I thought the same thing.  Way to make yourself a target!

This storyline really drags. Megan Goode really doesn't have enough charisma to be a leading lady (I thought that about deception and nothing she's doing here has changed my mind). I like Arthur, he seems much more interesting than Agatha and Dash who seem so one dimensional.

I'm not expecting brilliance from the case of the week but that was real weak sauce for only the second week.

I am really trying to like this thing but it's not holding my interest.  I'll give it one more week and then it's off my DVR.

Edited by karasmom

I understand why Vega wanted to bring Dash into the fold. That would stop some of the lies and disappearing acts she has to pull, surrounding her cases, but I think it's too close for comfort.

I can easily see things going off the rails with this situation and Dash being found out. And though I don't think that Vega would knowingly exploit Dash or put him in harm's way, I was a bit disappointed by her tunnel vision tonight. Even when Dash and his scientist friend (can't recall his name) was telling her the horror he went through during the precognition program, she kind of ignored what he was saying and continued to push for him to join her. Only when he questioned being found out did she reassure him and even then her main agenda was getting him to join the program. That said, I do give her credit for asking him again if he was okay later in the episode.

Why again does Hawk-eye need civilian analysts? That seems rather dangerous to have civilians with no training assisting cops with apprehending criminals.

The case of the week was slightly better than last week, but not by much.

I was most interested in Dash coming on as an analyst and now I'm intrigued by Agatha. I'd like to know what she's up to with the embezzler.

I do continue to enjoy the rapport between Vega and Dash though. And her boss was far less annoying this week.

Still it was just an okay episode.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 1

Nick Zano is so hot.

I actually don't mind Fez in the role but I always thought Wilmer (along with Topher Grace) were the most talented of the cast of That 70's Show.  

I guess Dash got Vega's permission before she told Akela (Sp?)  I missed that part.  I thought it was so funny how she's like "No one's EVER going to find out" then we cut to a scene of her spilling the beans.

The guy who played Charlie is always a bad guy disguised as good.  No matter what the show.  He kept talking about The Island, too.  How LOST was that.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay

I can easily see things going off the rails with this situation and Dash being found out.

Same here, if the show lasts long enough unless they're going to cover that soon.

I thought the same thing.  Way to make yourself a target!

I am really trying to like this thing but it's not holding my interest.  I'll give it one more week and then it's off my DVR.

The ratings are horrendous, I don't think it stands a chance anyway. I think it was the lowest rated premiere and the second episode did even worse.

Nick Zano is so hot.

He reminds me of a young Kurt Russell. 

I absolutely love Stark Sands, so I'll watch him in literally anything.  That said, I do think the show has potential; will be interesting to see how it evolves. 

I actually don't mind Fez in the role but I always thought Wilmer (along with Topher Grace) were the most talented of the cast of That 70's Show.

You obviously haven't seen Laura Prepon in Orange is the New Black!

I like this show and I'm still rooting for it. I hope the ratings go up soon.

In the original movie, the police acted upon the visions of the three precogs to prevent crime before it happened.  It transpires that sometimes one precog's vision wouldn't match those of the other two.  Such a vision was filed as a "Minority Report" and essentially ignored, while police action would be taken based on the matching visions of the other two precogs.  In the long run, it turns out that the "Minority Report" was often the more accurate one, and the other two, although in agreement, was less accurate and reliable.  This was the background upon which the plot of the film was painted.

Netfoot, thanks for that; I've only seen the movie once and had forgotten that aspect of it.  While I agree that the TV show's name is most likely just an extension of the movie's, I do think that there is still a parallel with the original term.  They are doing some interesting things with Dash following his own vision of what he thinks he should do and whether Vega can be trusted, even in defiance of what Agatha and Arthur believe.  I hope they have the chance to develop that plotline further.