Type keyword(s) to search

Spoilers and Spoiler Speculation: Benchmarking

• Start Topic

(edited)
3 minutes ago, jschoolgirl said:

And it looks like Owen maybe intervenes, there might be a bad outcome, and we here his name being sternly called and he cries.

I think the Owen storyline is totally separate. He gets a knock on his door with some bad news. My guess is that his sister has been found dead. 

Here's the promo for those who didn't see it: 

Edited by BaseOps
(edited)

Owen's sister/Nathan's fiance has been presumed dead all these years (and by that I mean since Owen joined the show in season 5). It's been made apparent on a few occasions that they've been living their lives with the notion that Megan Hunt has died. Not that the show can't retcon, because they seem to like doing that nowadays, but that would be the least-shocking thing.  

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 1

No, even if they've known logically she's dead it would still have an impact. It ties back to Owen's visualizing her during that surgery. Without formal closure he could have the emotional connection and imagine her giving him advice and being happy and snarky. With a body, and maybe details like "she didn't die in the crash, she was held for a time and moved around like Bowe Bergdahl"  you move into tragic Amelia Earhart territory. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, BaseOps said:

I think the Owen storyline is totally separate. He gets a knock on his door with some bad news. My guess is that his sister has been found dead. 

Here's the promo for those who didn't see it: 

Wouldn't they contact him, because he's the chief? I saw the promo earlier, and was also worried that the guy kills her.

7 minutes ago, Anela said:

Wouldn't they contact him, because he's the chief? I saw the promo earlier, and was also worried that the guy kills her.

He hasn't been chief for years. 

(edited)
24 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

He hasn't been chief for years. 

Who is it now? Bailey? 

Oh, so they could be bringing up what's his names' past, just as Meredith is taking a chance. Of course. 

Edited by Anela

I don't think so at least I don't think she'll die. It seems to obvious. Plus if she dies then they'd actually have to give Jo a storyline as she's one her closest and longest friends show wise... We know they'd never do that.

7 hours ago, Anela said:

Who is it now? Bailey? 

Oh, so they could be bringing up what's his names' past, just as Meredith is taking a chance. Of course. 

Yea, Bailey has been Chief since last season. Remember, Owen's sister was never found. The helicopter that she was on disappeared. So while they assume she's dead they've never had it confirmed either way.

• Love 1

I don't think that Steph will die, but maybe this kidnapping will be the thing that pushes her over the edge and she decides that she needs to take a break.  That way if the pilot that she was cast in doesn't work out she could always come back.  I like Steph and she would be low on my list of people to leave.  And though they are due for a character mass casualty, I doubt we will see any.

The more that I think about it, the more uncomfortable I am with Alex going behind Jo's back to find the husband (if that is indeed what is going on).  What I"m hoping is that he just plans to sort of find out about him and keep tabs on him, but never make contact or go any further.  Then he finds out that he is a doctor and just can't help himself.  It still doesn't make it right and he is still kind of betraying Jo by doing it, but it would be a little more understandable to me then if he just decides to go after him without consulting Jo first.

29 minutes ago, Deanie87 said:

I don't think that Steph will die, but maybe this kidnapping will be the thing that pushes her over the edge and she decides that she needs to take a break.  That way if the pilot that she was cast in doesn't work out she could always come back.  I like Steph and she would be low on my list of people to leave.  And though they are due for a character mass casualty, I doubt we will see any.

My understanding is that Jerrika's new show was ordered straight to series.  So it's a go for at least the first season.

I don't think she'll die either, but I can see her not wanting to come back to this place again. 

And seriously this hospital has the worst security ever, I mean, Meredith was attacked not so long ago, the shooting...Seattle Mercy Death indeed.

• Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 7:06 AM, BaseOps said:

Yea, Bailey has been Chief since last season. Remember, Owen's sister was never found. The helicopter that she was on disappeared. So while they assume she's dead they've never had it confirmed either way.

I agree.  I think Owen's sister/Riggs' wife may show up alive to put a monkey wrench in the Meredith-Riggs hookup.  That may be the reason they sort of rushed them together or whatever.

New extended promo for Thursday has some added shots: 

- Meredith / Riggs in bed together at her house

- The dangerous patient seemingly choking Steph in the stairwell

- Amelia hugging Owen while he cries

1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

I hope she doesn't get Lucy'd.

I don't know what that means, but I'm ready to see her get murdered. I need something juicy in these last two episodes. 

(edited)

Also of note, in the promo Bailey calls for a Code Orange. This could mean:
(1) A bomb threat
(2) A radioactive spill
(3) A potentially violent person with mental issues in the hospital; show of force needed
(4) External disaster with mass casualties

Edited by BaseOps
39 minutes ago, BaseOps said:

I don't know what that means, but I'm ready to see her get murdered. I need something juicy in these last two episodes. 

Lucy was a med student on ER who got stabbed to death by a psycho patient.  It was sad.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think that the husband will then be able to track Jo down to Grey Sloan Hospital, by looking up Alex, and he will pop up there next season to stir things up. 

Didnt Shonda say they there will be eggs laid for next season?

Edited by Pink ranger

Alex's difficult decision regarding Jo still has me thinking he ends it officially in the finale... Or something. I don't think he should be the one ending anything nor do I understand why he'd suddenly need to but the fact that it's a hard choice makes me think it can only be to walk away or something..

1 hour ago, Chas411 said:

Alex's difficult decision regarding Jo still has me thinking he ends it officially in the finale... Or something. I don't think he should be the one ending anything nor do I understand why he'd suddenly need to but the fact that it's a hard choice makes me think it can only be to walk away or something..

Yeah I have my doubts about the wording of that, but I personally don't think he's going to end it, because really what is there to end? I had assumed they've been broken up ever since Jo walked away in episode 2, and the writers act like they were never even together in the first place. They haven't shared a verbal scene since 13x09, which alone is utterly RIDICULOUS to me. I seriously hope that this isn't the end of it though, and that it's just a catalyst for him to either find Jo, or to kickstart the shift to her perspective.. since it's been abysmally absent in this entire non-storyline. I want to see the strong survivor side of her Shonda pretended she cared about st the start of this season, because so far this DV storyline has been completely botched!! 

• Love 2

I still think his difficult decision will be whether or not to tell Jo he found the husband. If he has any interest in trying to rekindle something (and I would argue that his few scenes with her this season indicate he does), then telling her may be a huge obstacle to that.

• Love 2
(edited)

My predictions:

- Owen's sister is alive, as we will find out in tonight's (May 11th) episode.
- Stephanie will be brutally attacked by a patient. Does she die? Probably, but I hope not. I used to really dislike her and thought she was a waste of space, but now I'm saying that I would actually be devastated if she dies.

Everyone keeps saying Alex is going to look for Jo's husband but I disagree. I haven't seen most of the season, but does Alex know what Jo's real name is? Does he know what her husband's name is or what he does? Isn't Jo originally from Boston? Didn't she go to med school there.

Edited by kinnej5

So from the finale promo we know that Meredith goes into the hospital, eventually working on a surgery with Riggs. My guess is she won't tell him about Megan until after (probably the BTS clip in the parking lot). It looks like Ben runs inside at some point, too. The little girl is alive and seemingly trapped. Promo pics show Alex back at the hospital. 

(edited)
39 minutes ago, Chas411 said:

Promo showing the little girl alive and trapped on her own doesn't bode well for Stephanie. 

I'd be shocked if Steph wasn't incinerated... pink mist, as they say. 

Edited by BaseOps

My predictions are that Steph is alive but disfigured/badly injured enough to leave, Megan is in a coma and gets transferred so that they can decide whether she lives or dies later on but in the meantime Nathan feels guilty about having to be in the same hospital every day, drama, drama, drama.  Alex finally tells Jo that he found the husband toward the end of the episode, it will be the only Jolex scene and the only Jo scene, and like every other Jolex cliffhanger scene for the past 3 years, Jo will stand there mutely looking perplexed.    Cue the flurry of articles that tout season 14 as the year we FINALLY get to learn about Jo!!!!!!

I don't think that Meredith is pregnant, but if she is, that may be the straw that breaks my Grey's watching back.  I absolutely don't believe that the Meredith Grey that we have watched for all these seasons ever wanted 3 kids, much less 4 under ten.  Its just too much for me to accept, and that is saying a lot for this show.

• Love 6

Am I the only one whose kinda shocked Jesse Williams is still on the show? Shonda is known for letting actors go for messy personal lives (remember Columbus Short aka Harrison from Scandal?), and I for one surely though the divorce and alleged adultery drama would do him in, since that was the rumor behind Patrick Dempsey's firing. Then again all of the actors and actresses she's had alleged fallings out with have brought the drama to set; maybe Jesse is good at keeping work and personal  life separate.

I'm kind of tired GA doing this thing where it creates an unlike able character than uses our seasoned characters to prop them up for entire season and then in the end realizes that the character is still unlikeable and drops them. Season 11 - The cop guy for Callie, Derek's Washington nurse... 

S12 - Penny

S13 - Minnick.

while s11 was still okay as those characters didn't engulfed 80% of screen time and half of season. S12 and 13 are worse. These characters don't add any thing to our seasoned characters if only they bring the seasoned characters down. Look what no-body and mere decimal Callie became at the end. No one even mentions her. At least Cristina gets mentioned here and there. And for having a beef with the creators, Katie's characters Izzie gets mentioned well as well but none for Callie. I feel bad for Ramirez. What a disservice 

• Love 1

Bringing 2 points over from the Ring of Fire Thread:

@nic said:

I was hoping that the firefighter that Arizona flirted with would make an appearance. She's the first person i thought of when the spinoff was announced. Do you think any of the firefighters shown in this episode will be part of the spinoff? (specifically the woman introduced by Bailey on the stairs)

From what I understand, the main character of the spin-off will be introduced early in the next season of Grey's.  It's possible that the firefighter in question is the one, but it doesn't sound like it from what I've read about the spin off.  Honestly, as far as that show goes, it sounds like they haven't gone any further than "Hey, let's do a spin-off from Grey's with firefighters!"  The announcement came out of nowhere and, with what little info there is about it, I'm kind of shocked that ABC ordered it straight to series, even if it is mid-season.

@beautifulGA said:

I'm not sure if Minnick is entirely gone as Marika was hella enthusiastic on Twitter for someone's last day on a show. She also said that playing Eliza is the best thing that has happened to her. obviously she's enjoying the attention one would easily get if they're paired opposite with Arizona (or Callie). As much I don't like the character, I won't mind if GA kept her off screw vile as Arizona's partner (she can show up once a season like Adele or like Ben used to be in earlier season) as long as the series runs or Sara returns.... 

Sadly (very, very sadly), I don't think we're done with Minnick either.  For her to leave now, it would be one big hand wave which, frankly, I'm okay with in this case as I despised that character so much.  But, I don't think that's going to happen.  I think the new show runner will have some leeway to change things, but Shonda seems to love this actress and, even if the new show runner wanted to get rid of her, I don't think she's cut one of Shonda's pets right off the bat.

Here's my speculation of what will happen--this is NOT, in any way, what I would like to see, just what I think I will see.  Minnick will stay around.  Not in the position she had, but as--yep--Ortho surgeon (didn't someone say that to Sports Medicine docs have to first be ortho docs?).  The show will then try and put a redemption arc on her to make her more likable.

I hate this for 2 reasons.  First of all, redemption arcs are horribly misused.  By that I mean, a "redemption arc" is not a story line to make a character who was "bad" into a character who is "good," although this is how it is all-too-commonly used on television.  A true redemption arc is a story line for a character to atone for an action they had taken or a situation they had caused.  At the end of the arc, they are still the same character, albeit with some growth (hopefully).

Secondly, I have only seen the Minnick actress (I'm not even going to try for her last name) in this but, just judging on her performance on GA, she's just not very good.  If she were a great actress who had been treated badly by the writers (Brooke Smith, anyone?), I could probably swallow my detest for the character to see where it goes.  But the actress is just not that and I'd rather she not take up space and her air time real estate be given to existing characters or a compelling, well-written new character.

• Love 3
(edited)

I developed my fear that we haven't seen the last of Minnick when I read the other day that she's married to Scott Foley, who is one of Shonda's favorites--he was on this show and now has been on Scandal for years. 

Edited by pennben
Sean and Scott are not interchangeable:)
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

I hate this for 2 reasons.  First of all, redemption arcs are horribly misused.  By that I mean, a "redemption arc" is not a story line to make a character who was "bad" into a character who is "good," although this is how it is all-too-commonly used on television.  A true redemption arc is a story line for a character to atone for an action they had taken or a situation they had caused.  At the end of the arc, they are still the same character, albeit with some growth (hopefully).

a.k.a. Penny in Season 12

Turning Minnick into a Perfect Penny might just be nauseating enough to make me quit the show.  I don't think they'll actually do that though.  I'd be fine if they kept Minnick on as long as she doesn't work at the hospital anymore and is used about as much as she was after the whole civil war plot died down.  She could have a role like Matthew the paramedic had and I wouldn't particularly mind it.  I mean, if they want Arizona to have a love interest who actually appears regularly on the show they either have to make yet another lady doc suddenly bi, introduce another lesbian doc just for the sake of hooking up with Arizona, or they need to have her be a recurring character.

Just now, Starscream said:

a.k.a. Penny in Season 12

Turning Minnick into a Perfect Penny might just be nauseating enough to make me quit the show.  I don't think they'll actually do that though.  I'd be fine if they kept Minnick on as long as she doesn't work at the hospital anymore and is used about as much as she was after the whole civil war plot died down.  She could have a role like Matthew the paramedic had and I wouldn't particularly mind it.  I mean, if they want Arizona to have a love interest who actually appears regularly on the show they either have to make yet another lady doc suddenly bi, introduce another lesbian doc just for the sake of hooking up with Arizona, or they need to have her be a recurring character.

I don't know if I'd say Penny had a redemption arc.  Maybe she did and it was just badly executed.  As far as I could tell, Penny was nothing more than a ploy to get Callie off the show.

To me, a successful redemption arc would be something like an addict coming clean and atoning for what they did while they were under the influence.  Yeah, that's pretty generic.  With Penny, I don't think she came from a place where she needed a redemption arc--she herself was not guilty of Derek's death, but was just a piece in a larger dysfunction.

As for an Arizona love interest, I would love for her (or, frankly, for any character) to have a love interest who is not in any way professionally involved in medicine.  None of the characters have ever shown that balance between a demanding job and a life (Bailey did briefly with her first marriage, but we barely ever saw her first husband).  Why can't Arizona meet a CPA or a plumber or a teacher at one of her trivia nights and have something grow from there?

• Love 1
(edited)

IF Minnick sticks around, it will for sure be because of the Foley factor and nothing more.  The character fell flat and is, in my opinion, beyond redemption. There is no chemistry between her and Arizona despite how much they've twisted Arizona to force the pairing. Viewers despise the character, and not in the love-to-hate kind of way. I've never read so many people happy about a character's firing and potential exit, save for maybe Penny in season 12. And, yes, the performance leaves a lot to be desired. At least Brooke Smith had the chops, and she made what was supposed to be an unlikable character interesting if nothing else.  

And if tptb can so abruptly let go of Erica Hahn/Brooke Smith, then there is no reason why Minnick shouldn't be Hahn'd in this situation. 

So, yeah, if she's back next season it's because she's a Foley, and Shonda will continue to ram Minnick and Arizona/Minnick down our throats regardless of "chemistry" (the reason Brooke Smith was fired, btw) and unlikability. 

Edited by funnygirl
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, OtterMommy said:

I don't know if I'd say Penny had a redemption arc.  Maybe she did and it was just badly executed.  As far as I could tell, Penny was nothing more than a ploy to get Callie off the show.

To me, a successful redemption arc would be something like an addict coming clean and atoning for what they did while they were under the influence.  Yeah, that's pretty generic.  With Penny, I don't think she came from a place where she needed a redemption arc--she herself was not guilty of Derek's death, but was just a piece in a larger dysfunction.

Penny did had an redemption arc. Which was all about finding her 'voice'. She couldn't use her voice when Derek was dying but Meredith taught her how to. In 'sound of silence' penny shouted at Jackson and viola she found her voice. It was as poorly executed as it sounds. I think her character ended there only, the rest of part she played in season was just for first probably for a potential CALZONA reunion and her exit but later it became an leeway for Sara's exit.

And what a poor exit Sara got. Even with the redemption arc , penny's character was just bland and unlikeable. I still don't understand how they wrote callie chasing tails of someone who doesn't even knows what standard her daughter studies in.... Not to mention the multiple ongoing projects, the position of chief of ortho...her village and other important things Callie dropped...it was a utter mess.

• Love 1

I'm actually cautiously optimistic if Krista Vernoff is indeed new showrunner & head writer. She wrote several of my favorite early GA episodes: "Into You Like A Train", "Six Days" (the George's dad 2-parter), "I Am a Tree" and the two opening episodes post-George's death. She also wrote both GA/PP crossovers. I've always felt she wrote male characters (George, Burke, Mark) better than the other writers. It will be interesting to see what direction she has in the upcoming season  for Riggs, Jackson and Warren.  She knows Meredith and also Amelia really well. And in the event that Callie ever make a return, she knows that character quite well, also. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, beautifulGA said:

Penny did had an redemption arc. Which was all about finding her 'voice'. She couldn't use her voice when Derek was dying but Meredith taught her how to. In 'sound of silence' penny shouted at Jackson and viola she found her voice. It was as poorly executed as it sounds. I think her character ended there only, the rest of part she played in season was just for first probably for a potential CALZONA reunion and her exit but later it became an leeway for Sara's exit.

Okay, now that you point it out, I see it.  Which means it was a crap redemption arc (also, I'm not sure why any show would try a redemption arc on a character without any history, but whatevs).

Honestly, Minnick is better situated for a redemption arc than Penny ever was.  That doesn't mean I want to see it, though. 

28 minutes ago, flickers said:

Because Maggie needs a love interest now that the thing with Riggs is sorted. 

Does she though?  Why do they all have to be paired off?  Why can't they find her someone new, or unrelated to the hospital, or one of these firefighters...

Maggie and Jackson just do not work for me.  No chemistry.

• Love 9
28 minutes ago, flickers said:

Because Maggie needs a love interest now that the thing with Riggs is sorted. 

And here is one of my biggest complaints about this show.  Why does everyone have to be in a relationship?  Really?  (just refreshed and @FnkyChkn34--Jinx!).

I'm not against Maggie being in a relationship.  Honestly, of all the characters who are set up "to find love," she's probably at the top of the list, thanks to all her moaning about never being able to find anyone.  But Jackson?  Really?  I honestly think growing a sibling-like relationship between the two would be interesting, but a romantic one makes no sense.  The only reason I see for it is that they are the 2 straight characters not sleeping with anyone--except I thought that Jackson was sleeping with someone....

Ugh.

• Love 5
(edited)
32 minutes ago, OtterMommy said:

And here is one of my biggest complaints about this show.  Why does everyone have to be in a relationship?  Really?  (just refreshed and @FnkyChkn34--Jinx!).

I'm not against Maggie being in a relationship.  Honestly, of all the characters who are set up "to find love," she's probably at the top of the list, thanks to all her moaning about never being able to find anyone.  But Jackson?  Really?  I honestly think growing a sibling-like relationship between the two would be interesting, but a romantic one makes no sense.  The only reason I see for it is that they are the 2 straight characters not sleeping with anyone--except I thought that Jackson was sleeping with someone....

Ugh.

The sisterhood is the biggest storyline on the show. Maggie needs someone to complain about and overshare about orgasms in her carpool scenes with Meredith, and none of the other males on the show are suitable.

Edited by flickers
  • Love 1