Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Crazy

Ironic that Bradley is more of a match for Norman now that she's Cuckoo for Coco Puffs.

I really thought Norma and Romero were going to have hate sex right there in his house.

Can't believe it's almost over again. The season goes way too fast for me.

• Love 7

This is driving Mick and I nuts! What did Norman have in his hand when he was walking back to the house after leaving Bradley?!

It looked like a rifle....

Wasn't it his belt?  That he took off when he and Bradley were about to have sex?

That's what I thought it was.

• Love 9
(edited)

Thanks KBrownie!

What got me this episode, is the realization that Caleb does really love Norma. Stop making me like him!

edit to spell KBrownie's name right.

Edited by Mick Lady
(edited)

Not enough Dylan and Emma. Definitely not enough.

See ya, Caleb. Wish he would have taken Bradley with him. I find her return really boring.

Speaking of boring, the Bob Paris/flash drive story is losing my interest. Isn't Romero really good at killing people? He could make great use of,the "swimming pool."

I need more Romero! They are awesome together!

I hate that there's only one more episode and we have to wait a year for the next season!

Edited by Rear Window
  • Love 3

What is with Romero trying to get a mother to turn on her own son? He knows Norman killed his father, why does he need Norma to say it to him. He must've had a horrible mother to think that forcing a mother to turn on her son is a good thing. I'm glad Norma didn't have sex with him. I did like that he's getting himself in trouble for turning in the flash drive. He was involved in some of the shady shit that goes on in that town. He's no innocent.  

Not enough Dylemma. $50 grand, Dylan must really love her. I mean, I get it no other girl is going to put with his psycho family and want to be a part of it. Except for maybe Bradley now, that is if Norman and Mother don't kill her. 

Stay gone now, Caleb. 

• Love 3

I only started watching this show a few weeks ago, so I'm a bit confused on what the deal is with the flash drive full of names, but I plan on DVR-ing the marathon this weekend (Mother's Day marathon, ha!), so hopefully things will be a bit more clear after I watch the episodes that I've missed.  

I don't know what the whole point of the Bradley/Norman stuff was, so I'm thinking that maybe she's just here to end up in that pit.  Seriously, that whole plot felt pointless, but maybe it's just because I missed her appearances in earlier seasons?  Strangely, I find myself interested in everyone but Norman.

It looked like Vera Farmiga really was slapping the shit out of Nestor Carbonell in that scene where they were arguing, so kudos to them if they went all in there.

I have to say, the Dylan/Emma stuff is my favorite.  The two actors have a ton of chemistry, and I loved that bedroom scene.  It was sad to see Dylan heartbroken about the fact that his Dad/Uncle was leaving him, and then ashamed about the fact that Emma knew the truth about who Caleb really was.  I totally thought that they were going to kiss when she was sitting on the bed holding his hand and looking up at him with big doe eyes.  I mean, I'm pretty sure that he was considering it because it looked like he slowly leaned forward a bit.  Maybe in the season finale next week.  I do worry for Dylan, though, because I can't imagine that guy that they ripped off is going to let him get away with that.

• Love 6
What is with Romero trying to get a mother to turn on her own son? He knows Norman killed his father, why does he need Norma to say it to him.

He's not going to do anything about it. Romero just wanted Norma to actually say one truthful thing to him. She's been manipulating him, the town has been manipulating him, Bob has been. That's why he turned over the drive. He just wanted someone else to treat him like a person. When he tells Norma he turned in the drive the first thing she says is "how can you do this to me?" I can totally buy that he's done with everything.

What are you, a third grade girl? Romero just looks so exasperated about everything. I hope he doesn't go to jail and just gets out. Maybe the DEA will give him immunity for cooperating about the drug ring. 

Romero's look when he saw Norma in his house was fantastic. "Oh ffs."

I like Bradley's look tbh. I have no idea why she came back though. Since Norman correctly pointed out that this is the one place she can't. Just as someone who watches tv, it seems like they just brought her back so she could be killed off. If that's the case, it's kind of a cop out. No one likes her that much, and it wouldn't have as much of an impact as Norman killing Emma or Dylan.

This show can really bring the suspense. I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop in nearly every scene. Dylan macking on Emma. Caleb getting shot. Norman flipping out on Bradley in the motel room. Norman flipping out on Norma in the basement. 

I liked the line reading of "impPORTant" by Norman. He and Norma almost have this otherworldliness or out of timeness to them. 

I bet VF had a ton of fun smacking NC around. That entire scene was one of the best for me in the series. 

• Love 8

If Caleb is gone for good, at least he made sure to beat the shit out of Chick, and get that money for Dylan.  That doesn't make up for all the horrible stuff he did, but, hey, progress?  Plus, I'm really hoping the magical transplant works, and Emma lives.  Of course, with this, it is best just to be prepared for everyone to die but Norman.

Not sure what to make of Bradley's return.  Nothing has really come out of it, outside of her finding out her mom has already move on. And that she now totally has the hots for Norman, unlike last time.  I guess being on the run would do that to you. Sexy times though were a bust, since Norman started seeing "Mother" during them.  World's biggest cock-blocker, right there.  I guess this will go somewhere come finale time.  I have my suspicions, but I'm going to take the wait and see approach for now.

This show really does love getting the most mileage out of the chemistry between Vera Farmiga and Nestor Carbonell.  They managed to find a way to make slapping, grabbing, legit fight between them, still come off sexual.  Really though they were going down the hate-sex route their, for a second.  But Romero has already given the flash-drive over though.  Sounds like one of the agents is now suspicious of him.  That's what you get for doing the legal thing, Romero!

Dylan and Emma continue to be sweet, which continues to scare me, because I fear that any happiness and innocence on this show, is bound to end in tragedy.

The scene between Norman/Norma in the basement was intense as hell.  I'm still dreading the day when he snaps.  Dude is messed up, to say the least.

Can't believe it will be the finale next week.  This season went by fast.

• Love 7
(edited)

Bradley is a fascinating character which is why her potential demise is troubling.  Whereas Emma sadly seems increasingly designed with consideration of the all too common hostility that can arise against female teen characters, Bradley has a nuance of character which is more intriguing.  This is despite Olivia Cooke being a far more naturalistic and talented actress than Nicola Peltz.  Peltz is allowed a chance to flesh out her character here that Cooke has been denied.

Of course, Bradley's return is intertwined with Norman's rapid deterioration*.  Both journeys detail the loss of identity.  Bradley sees the erasure of herself occurring, her hopes for the future gone and her existence lonely and fatalistic, the latter being the opposite of what she saw her escape as being.  In pretending to have committed suicide literally, she has committed it metaphorically.  Her return is a desire to find something that can keep her going.  Left with no familial connection, that becomes Norman, the one person who was always protective of her and always loved her.  What she cannot fully comprehend is that Norman is no longer Norman just as Bradley is no longer Bradley.  Bradley's desire to have sex with Norman is not about sexual attraction but the desire for an emotional bond to be repaired, one that was originally severed when Norman and Bradley's original lovemaking came from two very different understandings.  It is also an act of desperation by Bradley to find some hope, some reason to live by reliving a time when she and Norman were briefly connected - when she felt she and Norman had a shared bond based in loneliness.  When she asks Norman to leave town with her, she rightfully comprehends the detachment that Norman carries within him.  What Bradley cannot comprehend is that detachment has manifested itself into psychotic breaks that undermine Norman's capacity to be in love with anyone but Norma.  Of course this is something that Norman does not comprehend either. 

There is a doomed quality to Bradley here that in a way mirrors Norman.  If Norman kills Bradley, he is rejecting the last vestiges of desire outside Norma and rejecting his own identity.  To hurt Bradley is to destroy himself.  As Caleb says Norman is going to hurt someone.  Romero also recognizes this.  What is devastating here is that Norman is potentially going to hurt the person who is most vulnerable, the person who is placing her life in his hands. 

As for Dylan and Emma, I see that as filler.  It could have been more interesting but I got a feeling the writers are purposefully dumbing that part down and not taking advantage of these talented actors. 

*It is this element which so easily ties into the belief that Bradley coming back could have sprung from Norman's mind. 

Edited by dohe
  • Love 3

This is driving Mick and I nuts! What did Norman have in his hand when he was walking back to the house after leaving Bradley?!

It looked like a rifle....

It was his belt. I thought for sure that he was going to go back and strangle Bradley with it, so the prop was really a nice touch to ratchet up the fear quotent--same with Norman holding the knives when yelling at Norma for getting rid of his taxidermy equipment and taxidermied animals.

I also felt the same level of anxiety watching the scene between Caleb and Chick. I thought one of them would end up dead--and I didn't want it to be either one. It's like I didn't realize how invested I was in seeing more of both of their stories until the second I thought one of them would be beaten to death. Actually, same exact thing with Emma sleeping in bed. The way her back was turned and the sunlight was shining in on her like the heavens, I thought, oh no, it's too late--she's dead! But then she wasn't.

I realize I spend this entire show--every episode--thinking that someone is going to die--and every scene is like, this is it! I don't know whether that means this show is just that good about building suspense and tension or I'm just a paranoid viewer. Probably both.

Similarly with the tension was the scene with Norma and Romero at his house. I mean, I didn't fear they'd kill each other. But I was so drawn into the fight and sad for the characters that they were "breaking up" without yet having been together. But then when it turned into sexual tension that kind of weirded me out in that moment--even though I do want Normero to happen.

Even though maybe as much didn't happen in this episode because it was all set up for the finale next week, I think this episode just really made me care more deeply as a viewer for ALL of the characters. Some episodes are Norma's or Norman's or Romero's or Dylan's, but, to me, this was just an overall show love letter. And I'm particularly dramatic this morning, lol, but I just woke up. Maybe I'll drink my coffee, read this back, and need to give myself a Chick life lesson: A tad melodramatic, but okay!

• Love 11
(edited)

The Normero fight was squee worthy but I am happy that it didn't end in sex.  I was shocked by how much like a third grade girl he really was acting but I think I get it now.  He doesn't actually care what the truth is or what it means (I think he knows), emotionally he just needs to know that she will tell him the truth - any truth and all her truths.  His need for her is poignant.  It's like he's cracking at the seams and for a second there, I thought he was going to burst into tears himself.  I do feel that is a tad presumptuous of him to take her lie so personally because this is her deepest secret that involves protecting her child and they are a not a declared or even a nascent couple.  I liked that she walked away.  I don't want hate sex for them, I want love sex.  On a side note I find it hilarious that as histrionic and dramatic as Norma is, she doesn't tolerate that behavior from the men in her life.  Kind of hypocritical.

I like Dylan and Emma separately but there is something about them together that is not digesting well with me and I can't put my finger on it.  They are very sweet together.  But I feel a tension that shouts at the screen "Don't kiss."  "Don't linger too long."  Not quite sure why because I love them both.

I find Bradley to be interesting.  I think Nicola plays her well, but I'm not clear on the point of her character.  Is she a red shirt or a red herring?  One thing I did notice is that I finally get Norman's appeal to all these troubled girls and women.  He's stoic seeming.  He lets them vomit exposition all over him and smiles meekly and kindly.  He makes them feel safe, mostly by just being there, and he lets happen what they want to happen.  They do not sense the danger at all which makes my skin crawl every single time.  I find Norman to be unbearable at this point.

If this is the last of Caleb, I am very disappointed.  I thought Caleb's re-entry would make for more impact.  Certainly the idea of him was devastating but the man himself, not so much.  I wanted to hear his side of the story, no matter how bad it was.  I wanted to see him wrap his head around, not just the fact that he has a son whom he loved instantly (a natural reaction), but about the fact that this is a son that he made with his sister.  He needs to answer for that, one way or another.  But I felt his story got sideswiped by the Chick character who I have never liked (I'm sure I'll get attacked for that opinion).  Chick has a much stronger presence that seemed to eat up Caleb's smoldering over the past.  It was just more of these peripheral "crime" stories that this show seems intent on including in what is otherwise gripping family drama.  I thought Caleb's role would be to flip the script with Norma.  But it didn't.

Call it the obsessive compulsive control freak in me (or as I've been told, the Norman in me), but that pit drives me nuts.  I honestly could see me toiling day and night for weeks simply putting the dirt back in.  When Norma started shoveling, I was like "Yeah!!" and when she threw the shovel, I was like "Noooo!!".  I need that monstrosity gone, it irritates me to no end.  It just screams death, fear, and being in WAY over your head.  Well, because, symbolism.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 7

OK show you got me - even though it would be a bit of a cliche I really thought Emma was dead, that Dylan would keep walking into the room saying her name only to find she'd died in her sleep and he was too late with the transplant money. 

Bradley's an easy kill for Norman if he wants - someone whose already dead that nobody is looking for; she doesn't know what danger she's really in.

Please wrap up the flash drive story, there's no mystery to it, it's just; is Norma in trouble from this big bad criminal, but since Norma is already always in trouble from about five other fronts it doesn't add much to the plot.  Unless there's a bigger payoff coming in how it affects Norma and Romero but with one episode left they maybe need to move that storyline along a little faster.

The best part though was the last few seconds of the preview:  

Norman in Bradley's car "Pull over, Mother wants to talk to you". They're really going all in on the Norman/Mother dual personality now

.  Don't want next week to be the end but can't wait to see how that plays out.

• Love 1
(edited)

That was an awesome interview!  Nestor is hilarious and I think I have a girl crush on Kerry Ehrin.  I nearly tear up too thinking about how amazing it is going to be when Normero finally, BLISSFULLY, happens.

But then of course Norman kills them afterwards.  That boy is really a pest!

Edited by Timetoread

Wasn't it his belt?  That he took off when he and Bradley were about to have sex?

That's what I thought it was.

Yes, his belt. I thought he was going to strangle Norma with it!

(edited)

I was actually very annoyed with Norma in this episode. Exactly what I was annoyed about when she first got this stupid idea in her head to keep the flash drive, even after Dylan told her to turn it into Romero, is what is now happening. Norma keeps getting herself in over her head with situations and dangerous men and now she's trying to blame and be angry at Romero for what's happening. Romero told her, when she finally told him about the flash drive to just give it to him and he'll take care of Bob but no, she thought she could handle it and get something out of it for herself, stupidly thinking Bob would so casually agree to her amateur blackmail attempt and demands for her pool or whatever. 

So now Bob's even more annoyed by her than he already was. Then she all on her own goes and tells therapist guy the truth about Norman which lo and behold, Bob who's looking for something to hold over her head finds out about. And so now she's panicked because the truth about Norman came out and she thinks she can just say "here's the flash drive" and it's fine. And she wants to get pissed off at Alex for turning in the flash drive to the DEA  and act like he's ruining her life and somehow doing something wrong to her. I'm not saying that Romero isn't being pissy about the fact that Norma keeps lying to him about how her husband died but I actually think his turning the drive over to the DEA is the smart thing.

I assume Bob is implicated on that drive, which is why he wanted it back so much, so for all Norma's histrionics, Romero's decision may end up saving her because Bob may soon be arrested himself to have the time to come after her. And I doubt the DEA will be concerned about Bob claiming some woman in the town's son may have killed his father because again, I think their focus is more bringing down this whole illegal trade thing. I'm usually here for Norma's melodramatics but last night I just found her annoying. And of course she continues to ignore every person's warning that Norman is not just not well but likely dangerous. 

Speaking of Norman, I actually liked him last night and felt my sympathies for him growing some more. Yes, he's crazy, obviously and incredibly dangerous but I just find him such a tragic character because there is always the "what if" with him. What if Norma had gotten him help when the black outs first started, help after he unknowingly killed his dad, if she hadn't helped foster that creepy, borderline unnatural co-dependent relationship between them. Again, I like Norma well enough and she's not as bad now but I still remember Season 1 where she made Norman feel guilty and like he was betraying her everytime he just tried to have some fun and a life and act like a normal teenager. So yes, Norman is already beyond the point of no return at this point but I still feel for him. 

Even with his insanity, I thought he acted like a very good friend to Bradley in this episode. He gave her a place to stay, listened to her and tried to help her in any way he could. The almost sex was so sad on both their parts -  Bradley doesn't want Norman, she just clearly wanted someone that cares, however small and just wanted to feel close to someone. Meanwhile Norman is now so permanently fucked up about sex, women all tangled up with his twisted love/obsession for Norma that he physically can't be with someone anymore. The preview for the finale makes it very clear that this will not end well for both him and Bradley. 

Good job kicking Chick's ass Caleb and being another voice to Norma that something is wrong with Norman but I cannot say I will miss you, so good riddance. Emma and Dylan continue to be cute. My guess is there will be at least a kiss in the season finale. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 10

Speaking of Norman, I actually liked him last night and felt my sympathies for him growing some more. Yes, he's crazy, obviously and incredibly dangerous but I just find him such a tragic character because there is always the "what if" with him. What if Norma had gotten him help when the black outs first started, help after he unknowingly killed his dad, if she hadn't helped foster that creepy, borderline unnatural co-dependent relationship between them. Again, I like Norma well enough and she's not as bad now but I still remember Season 1 where she made Norman feel guilty and like he was betraying her everytime he just tried to have some fun and a life and act like a normal teenager. So yes, Norman is already beyond the point of no return at this point but I still for him.

Agreed--it's really hard to root against Norman when we've so clearly been shown his mental issues. That Norma enables/exacerbates them just makes me sympathize more.

• Love 2
(edited)

So, am I the only one who is convinced that the return of Bradley is an elaborate blackout?

The main reason I know it isn't a blackout? 

Why would Norman imagine her to have dark hair? His visions of Norma are in a way an idealized version of her. (And in another way the visions show Norma's worst qualities.) I feel like he'd envision Bradley as he remembered her. 

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 3

I figured Bob was like the ceo of the pot ring and probably used his Arkanum club maybe to launder the money. Something like that.

Not everyone can die on the show, but they're sure doing a good job making me feel like it. Bob being arrested and put away seems like the logical conclusion. This seems like a plot to wrap up now.

Bradley is real. When Norman was chasing Juno, the dog disappeared and then he ran into Bradley. Even though it was a weird way to run into her, the use of the dog should have been the cue that he snapped back to reality.

So, am I the only one who is convinced that the return of Bradley is an elaborate blackout?

I thought it might be at first, probably up until near the end, when she was talking about how lonely and disconnected she felt, which then led me to conclude that she was doomed, especially after she tried to seduce Norman and Mother showed up.

• Love 1

Nope, so did we kittle1974, in fact, we were sure she was. Especially when no one noticed she was at the motel! Than at the end, when "Norma" showed up, you knew she wasn't. A hallucination within a hallucination? Even Norman isn't that crazy, is he?

• Love 2

Meanwhile Norman is now so permanently fucked up about sex, women all tangled up with his twisted love/obsession for Norma that he physically can't be with someone anymore.

I think that's why he flips out and kills Norma.  She's skewed his views on women and sexuality to the point that his awareness of her own sexual activities causes him to think she is "not a nice girl" any more.

• Love 5

I think that's why he flips out and kills Norma.  She's skewed his views on women and sexuality to the point that his awareness of her own sexual activities causes him to think she is "not a nice girl" any more.

I have to admit that a rewatch is due on my part but when did the REAL Norma - not HeadNorma - skew his views on women and sex in general?  I'm not disagreeing so mucah as saying that I don't remember this.  I only remember NORMAN making the "not a nice girl" distinction, starting with Bradley and Norma seems to be pretty open discussing sex with him.

• Love 1
(edited)

She said it about Bradley, Annika and Ms. Watson IIRC.  She likes Emma because it doesn't seem that Norman is physically attracted to her. 

Thanks.  The problem is that Bradley WAS leading him on, Annika was a literal hooker and Ms. Watson slept with married men and high school students.  I'd object to my impressionable 17 year old boy hooking up with them as well.  In fact the problem I think is that Norman attracts mostly questionable women which most mothers would disapprove of, but because Norman lacks the sanity, er, social skills to obtain a normal girl, he hasn't witnessed his mother being totally ok with the girl he brings home.  That said, Norma's list of men that she's brought home isn't so stellar either.  LOL.  The thing about this show is that NOBODY wins.

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 8

She said it about Bradley, Annika and Ms. Watson IIRC.  She likes Emma because it doesn't seem that Norman is physically attracted to her.

Didn't she also say it about Cody last season?

• Love 2
(edited)
Thanks.  The problem is that Bradley WAS leading him on

The thing with Bradley though, was that Norma objected to her simply extending a hand of friendship to Norman. Bradley came by asking about Norman coming out to study (okay yes it was a teenage lie and it was really to invite him to a party but what's really so bad about that for a 17 year old) and she all but slammed the door in Bradley's face. Then there was the whole weird episode where she followed Bradley around and almost seemed jealous of her. Norma acted like she was in high school and Bradley was the popular girl she hated and was jealous of. She even had a girl bitch fest with Emma about Bradley. 

Again, I'm not putting all Norman's crazy on Norma but she certainly did not help. Like stated, she rejected any attempts at friendship and a normal life by Norman and made him feel guilty about it. She blamed him for Keith Summers attacking her because he was not there and had snuck off to a party; She got angry and stopped speaking to him because when she got arrested for killing Keith he was off having sex with Bradley, like somehow her getting arrested was his fault. Yes Ms. Watson was a perv but her suggestion to Norman to join a sports team or club was more than sensible to me and of course Norma guilt tripped Norman about that and refused to sign for him to join. Again, not blaming her entirely and the writers have definitely had a shift with her but Norma sure facilitated this "it's just you and me Norman" belief in Norman;

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

Why would Norman imagine her to have dark hair? His visions of Norma are in a way an idealized version of her. (And in another way the visions show Norma's worst qualities.) I feel like he'd envision Bradley as he remembered her. 

Couldn't it just be that Norman thinks that is how Bradley would look "on the run".  I also had that thought -- that Bradley was in his head.  I thought it was also odd the way that her mom totally got on with her life. That just didn't seem like a real person reaction (remember she also lost her husband) but rather what Norman might think in his head.

Anyway just me or (sorry for the actress) but does anyone think Bradley is not exactly attractive with the dark hair? Talk about beauty being in the hair color. I doubt anyone would have given her a second look with the dark hair.

• Love 2

I think she looks better with the dark hair. 

The overall show with Bradley is that she was a fairly popular high school girl, and she made friends with Norman. Then they ended up with sex. That's very normal. The whole point of the first season was that Norman wasn't really an outcast at school. No one really had a problem with him. Norma was the one who eventually pulled him out of school. 

Norma acted like she was in high school and Bradley was the popular girl she hated and was jealous of. She even had a girl bitch fest with Emma about Bradley.

Really. There wasn't anything about Bradley that I would think is bad. Maybe she didn't realize Norman was more into her than she was him, but that happens. 

I thought it was also odd the way that her mom totally got on with her life.

Her mother had a picture of Bradley in her house, who she thought was literally dead. It's not like she's out of mind. The former husband was involved in illegal activity and got killed for it. What is she supposed to do? Wear black for a year? It's not like this happened overnight. 

• Love 2
(edited)

But he was physically attracted to Emma.  Norma was fine with Emma as soon as she learned that Emma had a fatal disease and only a short time to live.  She was then the "safe" girl to pair Norman up with because she wouldn't take Norman away from her forever and would save him from all the other girls that would.

So will the pit finally get used next week?  Or is it a red herring hide-a-murder place?  I kind of like it being there.  It's like an odd ball tourist attraction.  "Come for Bates Motel.  Stay for the pit."

Glad Chick still lives.  He has some of the best one liners on the show.  Maybe he and Romero -- who has reached his limit with this place -- should skip town and do a buddy trip all across America.

I assume Caleb will be back in another season now.  Was hoping his storyline would end this season.  With him and James gone now that leaves Chick and Bradley as possible Norman victims.  And Norman doesn't have a build-up relationship with Chick yet.  So I'm going with Bradley.  (Norman and Chick on a road trip together would be fun too.  Hell, even Norma and Chick.  The fun that couple could have together.  Hey maybe Chick is Norma's real soul mate).

Edited by green
  • Love 1

Call it the obsessive compulsive control freak in me (or as I've been told, the Norman in me), but that pit drives me nuts.  I honestly could see me toiling day and night for weeks simply putting the dirt back in.  When Norma started shoveling, I was like "Yeah!!" and when she threw the shovel, I was like "Noooo!!".  I need that monstrosity gone, it irritates me to no end.  It just screams death, fear, and being in WAY over your head.  Well, because, symbolism.

The pit drives me nuts as well but for a completely different reason. If you dig a hole 23 feet deep there is a lot more dirt pulled from the ground. Not these little piles still sitting around the hole. There would be so much dirt that they would have had to move the piles just they could continue digging to that depth. I know it's a stupid thing to get hung up on but I can't wait until they fill that dumb hole and are done with it.

• Love 6

The thing with Bradley though, was that Norma objected to her simply extending a hand of friendship to Norman. Bradley came by asking about Norman coming out to study (okay yes it was a teenage lie and it was really to invite him to a party but what's really so bad about that for a 17 year old) and she all but slammed the door in Bradley's face. Then there was the whole weird episode where she followed Bradley around and almost seemed jealous of her. Norma acted like she was in high school and Bradley was the popular girl she hated and was jealous of. She even had a girl bitch fest with Emma about Bradley.

This is all true, but the bitch fest was pretty one-way.  Emma ended up saying something along the lines that "Bradley is actually nice," and Norma sort of fumed that couldn't possibly be true.

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't think I've ever seen a better job of unresolved sexual tension on a show before. That non kiss was just incredibly, ridiculously sexy. 

When I think of some of the over the top sex scenes that are compulsory for premium cable shows I really appreciate when a show on basic cable or even network (not that I watch anything on network TV these days) can find creative ways that still sort of push the boundaries and make scenes like that feel just as powerful as any explicit sex scene. 

Interesting that NC wanted the kiss to happen. I think it was perfect the way that it was. It's easily my favorite scene between the two characters and that's saying a lot because they've had so many great scenes over the three seasons.

Edited by Avaleigh
  • Love 10
(edited)

I don't think anyone says that Bradley's mother should wear widows weeds, but the way she seemed to have moved on from her daughter's death is strange.

I thought so too when I saw it but then the suggestion that Bradley isn't really there kind of took root in me.  The way she seems to only exist for Norman and the way she was standing in the middle of the road.  Although I do believe that Brandley cared for Norman, I think she'd be inclined to go to Dylan -  not just because she liked Dylan and he was the one who orchestrated her departure but because if she has no money, he'd be most likely to be the one to get some for her, since last she left he was running the drug company her father once had.

I watched it again and another thing that struck me about Romero was how hard and fast he fell for Norma.  His rage at her for lying to him (but mostly for sleeping with another man, let's face it) read to me a lot like "he doth protest too much, methinks."  Disappointed?  Yes.  Dismissive?  Sure.  Mistrustful?  Probably.  But white hot rage to the point of "I hate you!" is a bit much for a woman he is not even dating.  Yes he did nice things for her but still.  If he said, "I am no longer going to help you out of everything if you aren't going to tell the truth." it would be more logical.   That said, I agree with Avaleigh, that nonkiss was one of the sexiest things I've ever seen on tv, ever.  I get that NC wanted the kiss to happen because that is a very man reaction.  When they are deep in their emotions, they want - need - it to translate physically.  It is better this way.  Just wait, grasshopper, the payoff will be soooooo worth it!

Edited by Timetoread
  • Love 3

I'd forgotten about Dylan's connection to Bradley's father via the drug business. I agree that it's odd that she hasn't so much as asked about Dylan, right? All she did was make a comment about why Dylan and Norman let her run away. She almost sounded like she held them partially to blame. 

Doesn't it seem unlikely that Norman would imagine a gym in Bradley's old room? Also, I don't think his hallucinations have ever gone on for such a long period. Bradley is eating meals like a normal person. It's very different than with his hallucinations of Norma. 

I think I would have an easier time buying Bradley's presence being an elaborate hallucination on Norman's part if there weren't so many odd details. 

• Love 1

I thought so too when I saw it but then the suggestion that Bradley isn't really there kind of took root in me.  The way she seems to only exist for Norman and the way she was standing in the middle of the road.

Something Jacob Clifton said last season stuck with me, that Bradley reminds him of a Lisbon girl (Virgin Suicides).  That she's pretty much a cypher that men tend to assign whatever they want to see in her.

• Love 1

Norma and Alex may not have traditionally "dated" but they've already shared so many unusual experiences together that his "I hate you" made total sense.

Loved, loved that scene between them -- all that wonderful subtext! Actually, I love all their scenes together. Or even the scenes where they're not together. Vera and Nestor, together or apart, are the reason I'm still watching this show.

Bradley must go though. Had to restrain myself from fast forwarding through all her tedious scenes. May Norman kill her off next week and put that pit to good use.

• Love 5