Type keyword(s) to search

Wig Wars: best and worst lip syncs (and the rest)

• Start Topic

Given the lackluster lip syncs this season, let's relive the good old days, when the lip syncs were queen! 

I think Dida, Latrice, Coco, Darienne, and Trinity have a pretty tight grip on the best LSFYL competitors, although Jujubee and Alyssa are honorable mentions. "This Will Be," "...A Natural Woman," "Whip My Hair," I can watch on repeat.

One of my favorite things in a lip sync is when one person nails it and they're brilliance is highlighted by someone next to them acting a fool:  for example, Latrice's soulful Natural Woman while pregnant Kenya jumped around on stage, or Jujubee's angsty Black Velvet next to Sahara's pirouettes. I also like when someone takes the air out of what their competition is going to do:  Joslyn falling into a split when she could see Laganja was preparing for one, or Raja doing naked before Carmen could get a chance.

What are everyone else's favorites? Over-rated or under-rated performances? What song would you lip sync to?

• Love 1
(edited)

I was thinking through this the other day, reminiscing after last episode's terrible lip sync...

Nominees for Best Lip-Sync, Individual and Group:

Best Individual:

S1: "We Break the Dawn"/Michelle Williams - Akashia

S2: "My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)"/En Vogue - Raven

"Carry On"/Martha Wash - Sahara Davenport

"Black Velvet"/Alannah Myles - Jujubee

"Something He Can Feel"/Aretha Franklin - Jujubee

S3: "Knock on Wood"/Amii Stewart - Alexis Mateo

"MacArthur Park"/Donna Summer - Manila Luzon (this is usually considered the best lip sync of all time, or at least one of the top 5...)

"Even Angels"/Fantasia Barrino - Alexis Mateo

S4: "Toxic"/Britney Spears - Jiggly Caliente

"This Will Be an Everlasting Love"/Natalie Cole - Dida Ritz (another one usually considered to be in the top 5...)

"Vogue"/Madonna - Milan

"You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman"/Aretha Franklin - Latrice Royale

S5: "Only Girl in the World"/Rihanna - Monica Beverly Hillz

"Ain't Nothin' Going on but the Rent"/Gwen Guthrie - Alyssa Edwards

S6: "Turn the Beat Around"/Vickie Sue Robinson - Darienne Lake

"Whatta Man"/Salt n'Pepa feat. En Vogue - Trinity K. Bonet

"Stronger"/Kelly Clarkson - Darienne Lake

S7: "Twist of Fate"/Olivia Newton John - Katya

Best Duo:

S1: "Stronger"/Britney Spears - Bebe Zahara Benet and Ongina

S2: "Two of Hearts"/Stacy Q - Morgan McMichaels and Sonique

S3: "Meeting in the Ladies Room"/Klymaxx - India Ferrah and Stacy Layne Matthews     

"Straight Up"/Paula Abdul - Carmen Carrera and Raja

S4: "I've Got To Use My Imagination"/Gladys Knight - Dida Ritz and Latrice Royale

S5: "I'm So Excited"/The Pointer Sisters - Coco Montrese and Jade Jolie

"Whip My Hair"/Willow Smith - Alyssa Edwards and Roxxxy Andrews

"Cold Hearted"/Paula Abdul - Coco Montrese and Alyssa Edwards (often considered the best duo lip sync...)

"Malambo No. 1"/Yma Sumac - Jinkx Monsoon and Detox

"Take Me Home"/Cher - Lyneisha Sparx and Detox

S6: "Stupid Girls"/Pink - Joslyn Fox and Laganja Estranja

"Vibeology"/Paula Abdul - Trinity K. Bonet and Adore Delano

Edited by vrocotamy
  • Love 3

I'd add Ginger/Jaidynn's "I think we're alone now" to the list for best.  It was so freaking hilarious I almost peed myself.

Bebe and Nina doing Cover Girl in the season one finale was also epic.

• Love 1

You know, my problem with "Straight Up" is that Carmen is a terrible lip syncer (hello, she LSFYL three times and never sent anyone home). Raja exceeds expectations by not just going on look, but Carmen walks around the stage for most of it before Raja finally goads her into doing something.

Also, from All Stars, Latrice + Tammie "There's No Business Like Show Business" was amazing. On first viewing I was disappointed with Raven + Juju "Dancing on My Own," but when I rewatched it and realized how personal it was for them yet perfectly tailored to the song, and when I saw how visibly upset Ru was, then I loved it. It gives me the chills now.

(edited)

You know, my problem with "Straight Up" is that Carmen is a terrible lip syncer (hello, she LSFYL three times and never sent anyone home). Raja exceeds expectations by not just going on look, but Carmen walks around the stage for most of it before Raja finally goads her into doing something.

Also, from All Stars, Latrice + Tammie "There's No Business Like Show Business" was amazing. On first viewing I was disappointed with Raven + Juju "Dancing on My Own," but when I rewatched it and realized how personal it was for them yet perfectly tailored to the song, and when I saw how visibly upset Ru was, then I loved it. It gives me the chills now.

I see that argument about "Straight Up", actually. Carmen is very good at the one stage performance she does - stripping to great aplomb and applause - but she can't do anything else. I forgot about All Stars on my list since I sort of prefer to pretend All Stars never happened, but the ones you mentioned were great.

I pretty much agree with your lip-sync champs list up-thread - Dida, Latrice, Jujubee, Trinity, Coco, Darienne, and Alyssa are all superlative lip-sync queens. I'm going to add Alexis to the list, whose performances on S3 are generally under-rated. There are also queens who lip-synced a lot on their respective seasons, like Jiggly, Laganja, Joslyn, Delta, or Milan, who don't get a lot of credit for it. On the other hand, some of the most lauded lip-syncs were the only ones by contestants who went far in the competition - Manila, Jinkx, or Raven (well, Raven had two.) As for under-rated lip syncs...I think both halves of "Take Me Home" in S5, Lyneisha and Detox, were really spectacular in very different ways. Ditto with "Vibeology" in S6 between Adore and Trinity K. Bonet, or "I'm So Excited" in S5 between Coco and Jade Jolie. S5, without a doubt, had the strongest lip-syncs overall. 

Edited by vrocotamy
(edited)

The worst IMO are those who snatch off their clothes/wigs. Milan is #1 with a bullet in that regards.

Ever since Shannel did it by accident / on purpose (still debated), it seems like everyone who does it thinks it's refreshing.

My favorite Santino expression is when Kenya did it while flailing around, while Latrice stood there IN ONE SPOT THE ENTIRE TIME, and fricking owned that spotlight.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2
(edited)

The worst IMO are those who snatch off their clothes/wigs. Milan is #1 with a bullet in that regards.

Ever since Shannel did it by accident / on purpose (still debated), it seems like everyone who does it thinks it's refreshing.

I usually agree with this, but after the John Waters ugly dress challenge, I found myself wishing this had happened:

I'm ready for Pearl to go, I hope she's eliminated next. Maybe Miss Fame should have taken off her gigantic dress to lip sync?

From the "Snatch Game" episode thread:

For all her claims of being a theatre queen, Max hasn't been that great at the prior acting challenges either. She was more of a Milk than a Ben De La Creme. Ru totally sets queens up with her bottom two selections and song choices. That song, plus lip-syncing against Jadynn, was designed to send Max home. She had no chance. If they were interested in a toss-up, they would have put her against Fame.

Do all y'all think the contestants are given a list of songs to prepare for LSFYL, but the producers don't choose which song to use until they decide who's going home that episode?

Edited by editorgrrl

My favorite Santino expression is when Kenya did it while flailing around, while Latrice stood there IN ONE SPOT THE ENTIRE TIME, and fricking owned that spotlight.

Pretty sure that in an episode (don't know if it was a reunion or what, but it had something to do with RPDR), Shannel confirmed that she did it strategically/on purpose

• Love 2

I would throw in Coco's performance for the Pussycat Dolls song against Monica and actually Delta's performance of "Bad Romance" just because it was so clear no one thought the big girl could do anything with a Lady Gaga song.  But I could watch Dida Ritz lipsynch "This Will Be" all day every day.

(edited)

Do all y'all think the contestants are given a list of songs to prepare for LSFYL, but the producers don't choose which song to use until they decide who's going home that episode?

I saw Bianca Del Rio last night and she basically answered this question. The queens get a list of songs for the whole season, and I imagine the producers choose based on the bottom two and/or the guest judge(s). Bianca also said that they don't use every song from the list, and mentioned one with a large amount of lyrics. It pissed off the queens since they all had to learn it but it was never used. Apparently April was especially confused. This story would be much less lame if I recognized or remembered the song--sorry!

Edited by Aerobicidal
  • Love 2
One of my favorite things in a lip sync is when one person nails it and they're brilliance is highlighted by someone next to them acting a fool:  for example,

Prime example, and my favorite individual lipsync is Raven doing "Never Gonna Get It" awhile Nicole Paige Brooks was next to her acting subpar.  Raven wiped the floor with her, and ended by blotting her own face with her breast pad.

Pretty sure that in an episode (don't know if it was a reunion or what, but it had something to do with RPDR), Shannel confirmed that she did it strategically/on purpose
It was the reunion, and RuPaul was shocked. I loved it because IMHO, it highlighted how asinine the whole "authenticity" critique the judges kept giving Shannel was. 

It just occurred to me, that excluding winners, JuJubee, Alexis Mateo, and Willam are all undefeated at lip syncing for their lives.  It's all the more interesting, in the case of JuJu and Alexis, that they each defeated three queens in lip sync battles during their seasons, only to be excused from the final lip sync when down to the final three queens.  Neither of them really lost on All Stars either, as JuJu was once again excused and Alexis was interrupted by Yara Sophia with the she-mergency button (and, clearly did a worse job than Alexis in her half of that interpretation of "Don't 'Cha." 

Now that Ru likes to have the final 3-4 queens lip syncing in the last episode before the finally/reunion, we may never see this again...

Aerobicidal, I saw that Bianca show! The song was "Fancy" by Iggy Azalea.

I think one of my favorites was "What A Man" from S6 (Milk v. Trinity). Milk was so out of his element but gave it his all, and Trinity just freaking slayed it.

• Love 1

Manilla/Delta doing MacArthur Park will always be my favorite, all for Manilla. But my underrated runner-up is Detox and Jinkx with Malambo No. 1, because I was laughing so hard I was crying at Jinkx. I was all in for her win after that.

I will give a (dis)honorable mention to Darianne Lake and Magnolia Crawford, because Magnolia Crawford screwing up the words and doing some odd "playing the flute" motion had me in tears since it was so bad. I routinely watch that when I need a pick-me-up.

• Love 2

My favorite lip syncs are probably Dida Ritz/The Princess because both were doing it so strong but Dida just absolutely killed it on every level, Dida Ritz/Latrice Royale, because that was just perfect in every way and Monica Beverlyhlls/Coco Montrese, because it's one of the stronger cases of both people playing to the song really well and knowing how to work it.

Oh and special mention to Latrice Royale/Kenya for just how embarrassingly bad Kenya was dancing around Latrice while Latrice just stood in one spot and owned the entire stage.

• Love 3

I saw Bianca Del Rio last night and she basically answered this question. The queens get a list of songs for the whole season, and I imagine the producers choose based on the bottom two and/or the guest judge(s). Bianca also said that they don't use every song from the list, and mentioned one with a large amount of lyrics. It pissed off the queens since they all had to learn it but it was never used. Apparently April was especially confused. This story would be much less lame if I recognized or remembered the song--sorry!

So they aren't told which song from the list they'll be lip syncing to until after the challenge - when the producers basically know who will be in the bottom?

I will give a (dis)honorable mention to Darianne Lake and Magnolia Crawford, because Magnolia Crawford screwing up the words and doing some odd "playing the flute" motion had me in tears since it was so bad. I routinely watch that when I need a pick-me-up.

Yes! I love to watch this one and just repeat "what is that lady doing?" every time they show Magnolia. The weird twist-flute, the half-assed moonwalk, they're so bizarre that I can't look away.

• Love 2

So they aren't told which song from the list they'll be lip syncing to until after the challenge - when the producers basically know who will be in the bottom?

Yes, that's what Bianca said.

My favorite lip syncs are "Stupid Girls" and "Malambo No 1" because they eliminated contestants I couldn't stand and I also really like Yma Sumac. However, I would like Laganja to be on every season of the show just so she could suck at every challenge and be ridiculed for it, a la Jade from ANTM.

Thinking over this again today -- Trinity really was one of the best lip synchers the show's ever had. Not only was she always on point with the words and dancing, she really understood the mood and intentions of the songs. I hope she's figured out how to channel that level of instinctual performance into all her drag. If she'd competed at the level of her lip synching, she could've given everyone a real run for the money.

• Love 1

Soooo this week's "Holding Out for a Hero" is an instant classic. Aja killed it. I mean, she would have won without the jumps, since Kimora didn't know the words, but damn. She pulled it out.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Egg said:

Soooo this week's "Holding Out for a Hero" is an instant classic. Aja killed it. I mean, she would have won without the jumps, since Kimora didn't know the words, but damn. She pulled it out.

So much for all that confidence by Aja; knew the b!tch would be in the bottom needing to LSFYL! My fave goes back to Season 2 with Sahara Davenport against Morgan McMichaels doing Martha Wash's, "Carry On!" The balletic moves and those 2 splits sealed the deal and Sahara moved on while Morgan was sent packing! ;-)

Just joining in : Loved LaTrice's "Natural Woman," and - if it counts - I could watch Violet's "Too Many 
Daddies" from the awards broadcast all day long. That is what a professional looks like, IMHO!

• Love 1

Latrice's Natural Woman is my all time fave but JuJu and Raven during All Stars made me the most emotional, I was crying right along with them it broke my heart and I cheered with Shannel when they both got to stay. I also love the Raja/Carmen lip sync

• Love 2

I love Dita doing "This Will Be" - probably because when I first heard what song they were doing I was very, very confused as to how they could possibly turn it out. I mean, yea, there's some swag there, but it's nowhere near the level of attitude the other club hits have. So, colour me SHOCKED when Dita pulls that magic out. 

Even though I was just "whelmed" by Raven's "Never Gonna Get It" at the time, I find myself thinking about it often. And I've gone back and watched it a few times, and it holds up. She commands the stage with the first note, and doesn't have to mug for attention. It's this innate slinkiness that Raven has that really makes the performance work. 

I also enjoyed Peppermint's 'Music' lip sync against Cynthia - I watched the seasons out of order, so I could be very wrong, but for me it was the first performance that was tongue in cheek without being overtly sexual or comedic. 

Unpopular opinion: I hate Manilla's MacArthur Park. I mean, Delta sucked as well , and the song is hard, but I find Manilla's mugging super cringey. I compare it to Jujubee's emotional angst during Black Velvet, and Manilla just looks fake. It's like she wasn't feeling the song, she was just performing the emotion. It started out strong, but she loses me as soon as she starts pulling faces and gritting her teeth. Her performance doesn't match the lyrics or the beat - way too intense. 

• Love 1

See, I freaking love Manila's 'MacArthur Park' because it's so over the top. That song is completely fucking ridiculous and has a long history of people being all 'IT'S A METAPHOR!' and trying to make it deep when it was clearly written when the dude was high as fuck. And every version that inexplicably hit the charts was an over-wrought bizarre performance. So, in that regard, Manila's lip synch was spot on.

And, yes, Dita's "This Will Be" was magnificent. She fucking SLAYED that lip synch.

• Love 3

I think it is probably a good thing Trinity K. Bonet ended up in the bottom so many times.  She did some fantastic lip syncs.

I also love Chi Chi's "And I am Telling You" Lip sync.  Once the pearls broke, the camera never left her and she totally channeled Effie from DreamGirls.  Poor Thorgy just looked lost.

• Love 1
On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 1:04 PM, Dandesun said:

See, I freaking love Manila's 'MacArthur Park' because it's so over the top. That song is completely fucking ridiculous and has a long history of people being all 'IT'S A METAPHOR!' and trying to make it deep when it was clearly written when the dude was high as fuck. And every version that inexplicably hit the charts was an over-wrought bizarre performance. So, in that regard, Manila's lip synch was spot on.

And, yes, Dita's "This Will Be" was magnificent. She fucking SLAYED that lip synch.

MacArthur Park is just one of those classic you can't appreciate unless older than a "baby boomer!" It's a classic that just encompassed it all musically! I love it! I'm old! lol! ;-)

• Love 1