Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: The Honeymoon Is Over

Ragini has second thoughts and questions her arrangement with Veeral; Maria and Christian have their first big fight, which ends with one of them leaving, possibly for good; and Meghan moves in with Josh, however it isn't an ideal situation with Josh's brother and a pet snake as roommates.

Christian...there are no words. I guess I'm at least happy that his father (and mother, though she seemed more panicked about Maria leaving than upset at how she's being treated) recognizes that his treatment of Maria is beyond the pale and she'd be totally justified to leave. I just want to go and rescue her from that house!

I suppose there are a thousand different excuses or reasons why he acts the way that he does, but none of it matters- he needs to change.

I was very proud of Maria for standing her ground and saying exactly how she feels and how he treats her- she deserves more and better.

Edited by ctkat1
  • Love 7

Run, Maria, run. At this point, I have to wonder if there's something more than immaturity going on with Christian. Almost liked Gypsy mom there until she made it pretty clear that the concern she was expressing was much more for the family to save face than to help a young girl who has a total asshat for a spouse through a rough patch. Real touching how she was so worried that they'd have a tough time attracting two more victims, er, brides, for the younger sons if the first bride takes a powder.

Loved the entire Indian pre-wedding segments - but -  broken leg? C'mon! Nice play for sympathy and drama at the same time, though. Would have been a tad more believable if she had managed a slight limp coming off the dance floor.

Southern Bride....just no.  I saw nothing appealing about the whole set up. Guess I'll have to wait for the drama to kick in when she comes back from her first post wedding shopping trip.

• Love 3

I don't buy for a minute Ragini broke her leg. When you legit break you leg you get a cast, you are on crutches for at least 6 weeks, dancing at a wedding is completely out of the question (at least the intricate dancing that an Indian wedding requires), and all we've seen her with is basically an ace bandage and minimal use of a cane. Broken leg my ass. I don't doubt that she had an ATV accident, but the broken leg story seems extremely farfetched, if not completely fabricated for extra drama. If anything maybe she sprained something or some other minor injury that still allows her to walk. If your leg is truly broken you do not go walking around sans bandage with only a damn cane!!! Shenanigans all around.

Christian is still an asshat, and as each episode airs I'm disliking him and his shady-ass family more and more. I don't understand why his father isn't taking him aside for some father/son chat about how a real marriage works and how you should treat your wife so she doesn't grow to resent you or plot to murder you in your sleep, cos a marriage like that could easily land them a spot as the subject of a show on the ID network. I haven't gotten through the whole episode yet, but I hope she leaves his ass and goes back to her own family. I doubt they even consummated their marriage (Considering he ordered her out of the room so he could get dressed...WTF? Aren't married couples supposed to see each other in the nude? And why is she picking out his clothes? Is he unable to dress himself at 18 years old?) so I am sure she could easily get it annulled. He treats her like a maid and anytime she tries to talk to him he cops an attitude and accuses her of "bothering" him. WTF? Marriage is not code for slave. Homeboy needs to grow the fuck up.

The Southern couple are just boring. I doubt she lasts a week in bro-dude's stinky frat house and starts begging hubby for their own pad.

Edited by fliptopbox
  • Love 3

My heart broke for Maria. She's all alone and friendless. When she tries to talk to Christian he yells at her. And makes her feel bad for being a more quiet, reserved person. He is just a horrible person. Nina is a bitch. Not an ounce of compassion, just "what will neighbors think?".

Southern bride, moving to Bro-ville! Dude. She's moving in with you and your brother? and your reptiles? and dogs? Just close your eyes and imagine for five seconds what that place smells like. now add southern bride's delicious cooking--I'm guessing there was some Campbell's cream of broccoli soup in the mix somewhere.

I love the Indian couple and I was laughing and laughing at the producer-instigated "drama" about the vows. Will Veeral write his vows before the ceremony? will they be heartfelt? will Ragini cry? (answer--yes). He was laughing through the whole thing. I love him. They are really cute.

• Love 3

I doubt Southern Bride would have made that place smell any better under any circumstances since she is Miss-Eat-Cheddar-popcorn-in-bed-without-washing-her-hands-or-brushing-her-teeth-afterward. She strikes me as being as much of a slob as the men. 

• Love 5

Holy fuck, Christian is a wanker. His parents arranging him with Maria was a catastrophic mistake, I don't know how they thought he was ready for marriage.

She needs to get that marriage annulled and find someone outside of Gypsy culture that she takes time to get to know, that she can discern if getting married to him is a good idea, instead of having it foistered upon her when it's obvious none of them are ready.

• Love 4

Did Christian's parents even ask him if he wanted to get married? Ever? He seems totally uninterested in having a wife or access to sex. I wonder if he and Maria have had sex yet.

Edited by PityFree
  • Love 4

Things that could be wrong with Christian;

1.  He is very young and immature even for his chronological age.  He is still in a mind set that girls are icky and he just wants to hang out all day, playing video games with his brothers.

2.  Christian could be gay.  I hate it when a man rejects a woman, people automatically assume he is gay, but it is very odd how Christian has no interest in being physically or emotionally intimate with Maria.  Many guys his age would be at least be psyched to be able to be allowed to openly sleep with a pretty girl, but Christian could care less.  After their first night together, Christian stopped Maria from talking about the wedding night because I highly suspect there was no wedding night.  I do not blame them as they had just met, but I doubt if the marriage has been consummated since.  I do feel sorry for Christian if this is true, because I imagine Gypsy culture is not open minded about non hetero sexual orientation.

3.  He has always been treated like a little prince by his parents and now resents there is someone who he has to take responsibility for.  He expects Maria to take care of all his needs, like a slave, and want nothing in return.

4.  The amount of hair gel needed to make his pompadour three feet tall has seeped into his brain and caused permanent damage.

Run, Maria, Run.

• Love 9

4.  The amount of hair gel needed to make his pompadour three feet tall has seeped into his brain and caused permanent damage.

Run, Maria, Run.

LOL! Aint that the truth! OMG.

When Christian threw that tee at Maria and ordered her to iron it? Holy moly.

He was screaming that she was boring and quiet, therefore he couldnt stand her. Yeah cause, of course, he needs an equal who can discuss the cosmos and vascular surgery and Architectural Digest. You're so boring! I cant stand you! screamed the 12 year old kid.

At least Maria seems to understand she can split. I mean I hope she really does understand that.

Both of em WAY TOO YOUNG for freakin marriage. Its bordering on child neglect and abandonment.

• Love 6

Christian screaming in Maria's face that she was boring was just awful. Cringeworthy. Maybe if he took two seconds to try to get to know her he might find out that she isn't boring. And way to make her feel like shit about herself. And mama Nina, saying "don't pay attention to him" !! Da fuk? She's supposed to cater to his every whim, but ignore him? How does that work, exactly? And really, this is the time honored marriage tradition? Just stay together so the families can save face. We intend to not treat you like a person and expect you to take it, with the hope that you will have daughters in law of your own to torment one day.

Loved the entire Indian pre-wedding segments - but -  broken leg? C'mon! Nice play for sympathy and drama at the same time, though. Would have been a tad more believable if she had managed a slight limp coming off the dance floor.

Yeah. I have no doubt Ragini's ATV accident was real but there's a reason we weren't shown the ER aftermath. She probably has a mild sprain given her treatment, lack of cast and crutches but the producers obviously came to her with the idea of running with this accident for manufactured drama's sake.

The haldi ceremony is actually supposed to be a full body rubdown but I think Veeral was too shy and embarrassed to strip down and be topless in front of the cameras. As an American of Indian origin it was really nice seeing all the various ceremonies and celebrations like the Ganesh pooja, mehendi, sangeet, etc. The only time I attended a proper Indian wedding with all the accompanying fanfare was my cousin's wedding over a decade ago in the UK.

What exactly does Christian do all day besides play video games and apply pomade to his hair? He does not seem to be in school or have any kind of job. Maybe the gas station across the street is hiring?

I didn't want to ridicule the gypsies' lack of mastery over the English language with regards to both grammar and diction, but its really getting to me now. Perhaps if these people had a proper high school education at the very least they could learn to speak better. 

Count me in as one of those who do not believe Christian and Maria have consummated their marriage yet. He does not seem the least bit interested in her and has no idea how to foster any kind of conversation. Not only is he extremely immature but he's a burgeoning misogynist as well.

Nevertheless, I find Nina to be most vile. As a formerly arranged bride I would expect Nina to be empathetic towards Maria and her current plight, but that is not the case. Nina's only concern is for her family's reputation because she has two other young sons for whom she will have to purchase and procure glorified housekeepers. Disgusting.

Edited by Rahul
  • Love 7

Nina? Stockholm Syndrome. She had to endure being abused by her MIL, and she'll do it to her DIL's in turn.

And if Christian and Maria have had sex, you can bet that it was quick, brutish and short, with Christian getting his and not caring about Maria's pleasure one iota. when I think of that poor child being huffed and puffed over and manhandled by that spoiled vicious little manchild I want to cry. Really. She's just a child.

Edited by Pepper Mostly
  • Love 3

I really don't think southern traddition actually exist. I think people from the south just call whatever they want southern traddition or southern values whatever.

I'm from boston so when I get married I'm going to have a northern wedding and it's going to be northern values for of brown bread and baked beans becasue it's a northern traddition.

JUST SOUNDS DUMB! GOD!

• Love 7

Christian is similar to the young, son, from American Gypsies. He too was 18 and wanted no part in getting married, but his family kept pushing the issue. So maybe Christian resents he was forced to get married and like Maria said, he is taking it out on her.

Also, the dowry should be called Bride Price instead, because it is the groom's family that pays for the bride, not the other way around.

Edited by medra

Nina? Stockholm Syndrome. She had to endure being abused by her MIL, and she'll do it to her DIL's in turn.

And if Christian and Maria have had sex, you can bet that it was quick, brutish and short, with Christian getting his and not caring about Maria's pleasure one iota. when I think of that poor child being huffed and puffed over and manhandled by that spoiled vicious little manchild I want to cry. Really. She's just a child.

I hope not for two reasons:

A) Christian is an asshole and that sounds like sexual assault.

B) You can legally annul a marriage if it was never consummated. She needs to do this and she needs to do this quick.

The truly revealing moment for me was when Christian was yelling at Maria and said (words to the effect) 'you don't do anything for me'.....and he wasn't talking about her taking care of his stuff properly....Dude just blew his cover...I think she'd be thrilled if he took her out for a burger, or a walk in a park, or a movie, and actually tried to engage in conversation...she could make an effort in that regard, too....but if I were in her shoes, I'd have left already and let him deal with the fallout....wanker...

• Love 1

This is what happens when kids get married... Christian and Maria. Christian is spoiled. Has probably been coddled all his life. Has likely been told that gypsy women are subservient to their men and all of that. It is very obvious that his parents did not prepare him for marriage nor even just being in a relationship. Did his Dad even talk to him about how to treat a woman. His behavior is immature and appalling. No way was he ready for marriage. I blame the parents actually of both of those kids. What a pity. What mother would willingly send her young daughter into such a situation in this day and age. There is no reason for it. What about college, self-knowledge and all of that. Instead this young girl is stuck taking care of a man and likely popping out babies.

• Love 1

That was extremely uncomfortable to watch. Poor Maria. Christian is a tool. They're both very clearly too young and immature to be married, but that is no excuse for the verbal and emotional abuse. I was really nervous when little brother jumped up to hold Christian back, as if he knew big bro has a temper that may turn to the physical. I don't see Maria leaving him for good, not coming from a culture that has brainwashed her from birth to be the perfect little wifey.

So, huge reptiles and freezers full of meat that very likely includes mice, clutter, spiderwebs everywhere, and a dirty toilet are all okay as long as you don't dare snack in bed. I was with Southern boy on stupid decorative pillows all over the bed being annoying, but he has zero room to complain about much else. He couldn't sack up and nicely say he didn't want pointless pillows, but he could talk to her about crumbs like she was a toddler. I pity all the normal Southerners who have to see these idiots act like they represent all Southerners as a whole.

• Love 3

#FreeMaria! 1D (that's my code name for One Douchebag boy band member, Christian) is so mad at Maria for not having a penis, it's ridiculous. He's play acting what he thinks it is like to be the put upon, demanding husband. I hope Maria shames his entire family so no one will marry them. Count me as disappointed in his mom with her siding with her son and not being more sympathetic in a "I been there way" with Maria. Seems like a whole lot of blame the victim there.

• Love 3

That was extremely uncomfortable to watch. Poor Maria. Christian is a tool. They're both very clearly too young and immature to be married, but that is no excuse for the verbal and emotional abuse. I was really nervous when little brother jumped up to hold Christian back, as if he knew big bro has a temper that may turn to the physical. I don't see Maria leaving him for good, not coming from a culture that has brainwashed her from birth to be the perfect little wifey.

So, huge reptiles and freezers full of meat that very likely includes mice, clutter, spiderwebs everywhere, and a dirty toilet are all okay as long as you don't dare snack in bed. I was with Southern boy on stupid decorative pillows all over the bed being annoying, but he has zero room to complain about much else. He couldn't sack up and nicely say he didn't want pointless pillows, but he could talk to her about crumbs like she was a toddler. I pity all the normal Southerners who have to see these idiots act like they represent all Southerners as a whole.

Thank you! I'm from Georgia and I cringe anytime anyone uses the phrases "In the South we..." or "xxx is a Southern tradition...", because I know they're going to make us seem stupid.

Megan is a very specific type of Southern girl.

• Love 2

I grew up in Atlanta and I hate most anything southern on t.v.  That being said,  I was happy that Megan was in a graduate program.  I also thought it was interesting that they might move for her job, according to the previews.  This goes against the traditional model they have been trying to feed us.

I agree with everyone about only one of these marriages being truly arranged.  The other couples are your common everyday couples with heavy family or community involvement in how they met.

I also agree with the posters who said they are trying to make perfectly ordinary things southern.

"In da south, we do enjoy breathin our oxy-e-gen...it's a southern thang...ya'll woudn't understand"

• Love 3

I grew up in Atlanta and I hate most anything southern on t.v.  That being said,  I was happy that Megan was in a graduate program.  I also thought it was interesting that they might move for her job, according to the previews.  This goes against the traditional model they have been trying to feed us.

I feel your pain. I'm from Boston. Every. Single. Person. on teevee these days from Boston is a mouth breathing, r-dropping, racist, sexist, homophobic, Boston sports team gear wearing, beah-swilling, "Boston STRONG!!" spouting loud mouth.

• Love 3

I feel your pain. I'm from Boston. Every. Single. Person. on teevee these days from Boston is a mouth breathing, r-dropping, racist, sexist, homophobic, Boston sports team gear wearing, beah-swilling, "Boston STRONG!!" spouting loud mouth.

You mean Boston Rob is back?

Sorry, just kidding. I don't know that he's racist or homophobic.

• Love 1

Megan is a very specific type of Southern girl.

I also agree with the posters who said they are trying to make perfectly ordinary things southern.

"In da south, we do enjoy breathin our oxy-e-gen...it's a southern thang...ya'll woudn't understand"

Meghan certainly isn't representative of "my south".  My daughter is the same age and is getting married in December, she's having a beautiful "southern" wedding for far less than 50k.  Then again, down here in Florida, french fry bars aren't a "thing" yet, so I guess we're getting out cheaper than Meghan's dad.  I call total bullshit on her marriage being "arranged", I have NEVER heard of an arranged marriage down here, not even the fringe fundamentalist churches arrange the marriages, they let the kids choose their spouses.  Meghan deserves her mother in law.

• Love 3

Did anyone else notice 2 great pieces of editing from the show? Christian yelled at Maria to iron his shirt because it had to look nice, he couldn't go looking like an ass.... cut to him wearing that shirt, playing video games. LOL  
Second one? Christian yelled at Maria that she never talked to him, she started to answer that and he instantly yelled "shut up!!"  (okay, maybe that wasn't editing but it still made me laugh while starting the FREE MARIA petition we all need to sign!)

• Love 1

Christian is such an ass. Last episode I thought he was just playing it up for the cameras, thinking he needs to show he's the man of the house/basement, but apparently he's been acting like that for a month now. Poor Maria! I'm starting to think he's gay too because what 18-year-old is still in the "girls are gross" stage of development? I haven't seen any. I wonder if they attempted sex on the wedding night, but he was too nervous to perform, and now he blames and resents her for it. In any case, there's something off about him other than simple immaturity. He seems to actively hate her, even though she's being perfectly nice. I can't believe his parents aren't doing anything about it despite being totally aware of his awful treatment of her. His poor dad doesn't seem to have any balls and the mom any empathy.

I was also blown away by Meghan being a grad student. Why does she sound so dumb? Does she do it on purpose? Is she ever going to use her education or just play house? So many questions. At least we now know why she's a bit chub. Eating snacks in bed is just gross. I hope she at least brushed her teeth after they finished doing it. Eww.

Indian weddings are too cool! And drunk Veeral was funny. I also call BS on Ragini's leg being broken. Not even a hairline fracture. Those aren't treated by massaging or whatever that doctor was doing. She has a sprain, call it like it is! So much manufactured drama on this show.

• Love 1

Christian is such an ass. Last episode I thought he was just playing it up for the cameras, thinking he needs to show he's the man of the house/basement, but apparently he's been acting like that for a month now. Poor Maria! I'm starting to think he's gay too because what 18-year-old is still in the "girls are gross" stage of development? I haven't seen any. I wonder if they attempted sex on the wedding night, but he was too nervous to perform, and now he blames and resents her for it. In any case, there's something off about him other than simple immaturity. He seems to actively hate her, even though she's being perfectly nice. I can't believe his parents aren't doing anything about it despite being totally aware of his awful treatment of her. His poor dad doesn't seem to have any balls and the mom any empathy.

I was also blown away by Meghan being a grad student. Why does she sound so dumb? Does she do it on purpose? Is she ever going to use her education or just play house? So many questions. At least we now know why she's a bit chub. Eating snacks in bed is just gross. I hope she at least brushed her teeth after they finished doing it. Eww.

Indian weddings are too cool! And drunk Veeral was funny. I also call BS on Ragini's leg being broken. Not even a hairline fracture. Those aren't treated by massaging or whatever that doctor was doing. She has a sprain, call it like it is! So much manufactured drama on this show.

I normally hold back on speculating about a reality TV person's sexuality, but Christian does not come across as a heterosexual teen-aged boy. I think he comes across as a 12-year-old boy who hasn't even realized there's such a thing as sexuality yet. He could be gay, straight, or asexual, but he mostly seems to be a child.

Meghan in grad school really surprised me, except that means her "act" really is an act, which doesn't surprise me.

• Love 2

Christian is confused because he Is doing what is expected but I believe he really is a gay guy. When he stomped out of that room, Maria put him in his place, but she deserves better than that they both do.

If we believe somebody is gay, we need to state it as a speculation. We don't know that a person is LGBT unless they actually come out.

Thanks!

I don't think Christian's gay, I just think he's been coddled his entire life and as a result, has an outdated, Hegelian view of women and how to treat them. He has no business being married.

• Love 4
(edited)

Regardless if Christian is gay or not (and not that I care either way, to be honest) he should have been taught how to treat and respect women by his father. His parents seem to have a normal, loving relationship so it's not as if Christian is living in a house where he's getting these skewed ideas on how to treat a woman. His father seems to genuinely love his mother and even though they take their traditional roles very seriously as Romani they still respect each other, and I am sure he takes her out on date nights and does nice things for her because he loves her. Also, even in other households where "the man is the boss" the man still listens to what his wife has to say and doesn't scream "SHUT UP!!!" everytime she tries to talk to him about anything, or accuse her of yelling at him when she's not yelling and just trying to have a conversation to express that she's unhappy when in reality he is the one who's getting all loud and irrationally angry. That's just abusive and completely bizarre. Hell, even the Duggar family doesn't act like that, and they're very big on whole the man being "the head of the household" thing. Christian was probably spoiled wayyy too much by his mom, and was always praised and told how great and wonderful he is, which ended up turning him into this egotistical asshole that no woman will ever be good enough for. He doesn't want a wife, he wants a maid who never speaks and (I guess) fucks him whenever he wants. Maybe he'd be better off just saving that dowry and buying one of those lifelike sex dolls, cos we know that mommy will always cook, clean, and do his laundry for him....cos that's what Romani women do. Then he'd have all the time in the world to sit around playing PS3 or whatever with his brothers and sitting on his lazy ass. And when Maria tried to talk to Nina about the situation and how mean Christian is to her all the time, Nina basically blamed Maria for the fact that Christian fights with her constantly over every stupid little thing is complete bullshit. Poor girl just wants some reassurance and all she gets is more blame. And Christian's lameass "Give me a reason to hang out with you and I will." is total because Maria is his wife. He should be hanging out with her and trying to get to know her because she is his wife, and they both said in the first episode that they really didn't know each other. The first month is critical in trying to figure each other out. And now a month has gone by and he's made absolutely zero effort  to get to know her or take care of her needs at all. Instead he just orders her around like she's his maid, and scolds her for not doing bullshit stupid crap like not ironing the same way his mom does. No wonder she wants to leave, any sane woman would. And who cares if it brings shame, it should!!! That family is doing nothing to help their sons become good future husbands. That "the man is the head of the household" shit only goes so far, marriage isn't a dictatorship. Christian is too immature to be anyone's husband. No woman would wanna get with that nonsense. And it's sad that his two younger brothers have more sense (and sympathy to her situation) than Christian does. That's pathetic that a 14 and 16yr old are wiser about women than their older brother....who's fucking MARRIED.

Christian's (and his brothers) hairstyles all remind me of Jersey Shore guido wannabes. That over-gelled pompadour look screams Pauly D, circa 2008. Whoever said Maria should shave Christian's head and then get the hell outta dodge has the right idea. Those brothers also look like they'd all reek of Axe body spray...which just, yuck. The universal scent of douchebags everywhere.

Edited by fliptopbox
  • Love 3
(edited)

I also really like both Ragini and Veeral's families. They seem very closeknit and truly care about each other. I also love seeing all the Indian wedding traditions because I've never really seen that before. It's also really making me want to go out and get some mehndi done, because it really is beautiful. I think they're going to have a very successful and long marriage and out of the 3 couples shown they truly love each other the most. I just am truly enjoying watching their families and wedding preparations. Their sangeet looked amazing and I am sure it was super fun. I am looking forward to their actual wedding and to see how they mix their traditional culture with their American touches.

And their scenes were a nice break from dictator asshole Christian and nasty southern bride who eats cheesy popcorn in bed. Was she going t wipe her hands off on the comforter, had the husband not said something? Who does that? Eww.

Edited by fliptopbox

1- If he finds her "disgusting" at 17 years old, I don't know what will happen when she is 40 and has had 3/4 kids.

2- He is extremely insecure, feels his authority threatened every time she attempts to open her mouth. 

3- No young person can possibly be happy and fulfilled not having a purpose or room to grow and explore. No job, no school, no sports, no hobbies, no freedom.

• Love 1
(edited)

Christian strikes me as that type of kid who would try stuff like basketball or learning guitar (or whatever he may have been interested in throughout his life) and if he wasn't immediately good at it he would just up and quit. He also seems to have no work ethic, no motivation of any kind, and it doesn't look like his parents have encouraged him to do anything but sit on his ass with his brothers and play video games. He's exactly the example of an entitled spoiled brat. Besides the fact that getting married young is what Romani gypsies are expected to do why did his parents not see that their oldest son was definitely not mature enough (or even interested in, by the sounds of it) getting married? Why the rush to the altar? It's not like he has anything worth offering to a woman at 18, he has no job, no goals, and still lives in his parents' basement with absolutely zero ambitions. Maybe had his parents waited a couple years to let him grow up and mature a bit more his marriage would be working out a little better. Poor Maria.

We see him picking fights with Maria for no reason whatsoever (and that's in front of the cameras, so I shudder to think how he treats her without them around), and his parents (mainly the mom) just turn a blind eye and act like "well it's his marriage and we can't tell him what to do anymore", even if it's just simple shit like treating his wife like a wife and not a slave. It isn't. And what about Maria's family? They didn't even want to be on camera for this circus of a wedding. You'd think they'd have gotten some idea about what the boy that their daughter was being setup to marry is like. Hopefully they even met him in person, considering that anyone who's met him for 5 minutes would be able to tell he couldn't care less about anything but "looking cool" with those ridiculously expensive tacky sneakers that I am sure he keeps in pristine condition cos he's one of those kinda guys who thinks a scuff on their shoe is like the fucking end of the world, his dopey ironed t-shirts (and really, who irons a t-shirt?? just de-wrinkle that shit in the dryer like a normal person), along with his stupid pompadour hairstyle, and his supply of hair gunk. His whole world is setup around this false image of wealth and success and "look how hot I am"....and frankly that's pretty sad. He probably didn't graduate high school, has no ambition for any kind of college or career, and has the manners of a goddamn caveman....yeah, what a catch. I also wonder if she doesn't keep in much contact with her family now that she's married, because I am sure she would love to call her mother and just cry about how terrible everything has turned out so far. I get the impression that Christian and his family keep her on a very short leash, and I wouldn't be surprised to hear they don't let her speak to her parents much....and if she does they may even go so far as to to monitor the call (at leas Christian seems like he might). I remember Christian's father discussing the dowry and how they paid for her to insure she would be well taken care of....and I don't see that happening. I also see it as a way for the man to believe that he now "owns" his wife, which is bullshit because nobody truly owns anybody. It's all a bunch of bullshit.

It's also obvious that Christian had no interest in Maria - even before the wedding (and anytime he was asked about her he would give some bullshit generic answer like "Oh, well, uhh.. I don't really know her, except from seeing her at church.. but she seems nice.. I guess.."  instead of  something more like "I think she's really pretty and I'm excited to really get to know her once we're married.". His answers were completely blasé and monotone (and probably prompted), especially for a guy who's about to get married...and totally not the type of response that any horny 18yr old guy would say if he was at all interested in Maria - even on just a basic physical level. Or hell, even if he was just excited about finally being able to get laid, the fact that Maria is gorgeous is just a bonus....and that she'd be all his and no one else's. Even that bullshit conversation between Christian and his father about Christian's treatment of Maria, and that basically he needs to step up and act like a married man who gives a shit about his new wife...which went in one ear and out the other. Christian didn't wanna hear that, he's stated multiple times now that his opinion is "I'm her husband, I'm the boss, and she has to do what I say....cos I'm the MAN.". We've seen him say that crap even when he's just routinely ordering her around/yelling at her over petty shit.

On top of all that, I know pretty much every guy that I knew around the age of 18 would screw just about anything that moved, if offered. His only interests seem like sitting on his ass and playing video games. You'd think for him marriage would be like hitting the sexual jackpot. Yet he isn't interested in Maria ....and wasn't at all before the wedding either, he made absolutely no attempt to get to know her in the slightest, even on a friendly level before their wedding day, so it makes perfect sense now that since now they are married he still doesn't give a shit about her. Not one bit. He sees her as an imposition (unless he's ordering her to iron his shirts or wash his clothes, pick out his clothes [what, is he  a toddler?] cook him dinner, vacuum, or whatever; and even though I know in their culture the woman typically does all that stuff, but he shows no gratitude whatsoever or love in return...it's as if by marrying him she's become his slave) and like her presence is cramping his style. I have no idea how everyone in his family totally missed this. Never once did he express any sort of excitement or happiness in the prospect of his wedding, or any positive comments about Maria period. How no one saw this as a red flag is a mystery to me. Forcing someone to get married before they are ready to is a recipe for complete disaster, and a fuck ton of resentment....most of it falling on Maria, who didn't even ask for this mess.

And Nina's reaction to Maria coming to her for help and advice is bullshit. That whole "all couples fight" business is true....but not all couples have fights just because the woman simply asked her husband to turn off his stupid video game so they could have a conversation. And Maria wasn't even the one escalating things, Christian was. Maria was just talking....but apparently in Christian's mind any woman who sticks up for herself is automatically yelling at him. I guess he's not used to not getting his way about absolutely everything. I am also pretty sure that if his brother hadn't been there to push Christian back he very may have hauled off and hit her and gotten slapped with a DV and assault charge. Their marriage is doomed, cos dude has some serious anger and control issues.

Edited by fliptopbox
  • Love 6

Judging from the little clip we saw o Maria and the second child (Peter?), I felt that would have been the guy for her (though not at this age). Of course, this will never happen. It is done

He took the time to listen to her, to let her confide in him. He seemed compassionate. He said he would like his wife to tell him if she wasn't happy.

That is why they should have let the kids interact and have some kind of friendship before they arrange them. Then you can see if they get along and like each other.

Sad.

I wonder If Maria is allowed to take some classes. Even if it is cooking, sewing, or early childhood education. Something she could use as a homemaker, not really to go get a job . That is why I'm going very traditional with the options.

At least she would be able to get out of the house for a few hours, meet people, feel valued, etc.

I doubt this is possible...

• Love 3

I stumbled on to this show on a rainy Sunday and watched in horror. Christian- I have no words. He's the viciously way too immature for marriage but where did he learn to treat women like that?? Being the boss went straight to his head. Run Maria run! I worried for her sticking up for herself but I also cheered. Christian stormed out with his tail between his legs. I think Megan and her mother-in-law are heading for a rocky relationship. Mama DID try to one up with that mother-son dance and I don't see Josh ever sticking up for Megan. Although Megan is a piece of work too. Yikes the things that get on TV!!

I wonder If Maria is allowed to take some classes. Even if it is cooking, sewing, or early childhood education. Something she could use as a homemaker, not really to go get a job . That is why I'm going very traditional with the options.

At least she would be able to get out of the house for a few hours, meet people, feel valued, etc.

I doubt this is possible...

From what I understand about Gypsy culture, they don't much care for outsiders. I'm pretty sure that Maria was taught to cook, sew and care for kids by her mother and grandmother, in the Gypsy way. No classes for her. Her only hope is to hang around with her sisters. Poor kid.

From what I understand about Gypsy culture, they don't much care for outsiders. I'm pretty sure that Maria was taught to cook, sew and care for kids by her mother and grandmother, in the Gypsy way. No classes for her. Her only hope is to hang around with her sisters. Poor kid.

I'm just trying to get her out somehow. What a limited reality she will have :(

• Love 1

And I know that being a homemaker and a mother can be very rewarding, you learn things everyday and it is very important. A lot of respect for it.

The issue here is the age and the lack of choice :/ That will be it, right after high school to the end. I can't imagine.

I didn't want to ridicule the gypsies' lack of mastery over the English language with regards to both grammar and diction, but its really getting to me now. Perhaps if these people had a proper high school education at the very least they could learn to speak better.

If those kids attended high school I will eat my hat. I bet neither of them went past 8th grade, if that.

I'd be surprised to learn that they went beyond 8th grade. They talk like high school dropouts.

As for Christian's parents....I'm not convinced that Christian's treatment towards women didn't come directly from his father. I don't trust this family one bit.

(edited)

Their family seems so odd. The father seems so normal and loving, and gets it, and even admits that to outsiders their Romani traditions are probably a bit odd. But Nina is a pushy bitch and is obviously raising her sons to believe they're the best thing since sliced bread. Peter seemed pretty understanding when Maria was talking to him, but we're definitely seeing that Christian's ego is out of control for an 18yr old boy who has nothing to show for himself besides a wife (that his parents basically "bought" for him) that he seems to get off on by bossing around (probably since he has no other way of feeling truly superior). I hope his brothers take cues from Christian's marriage and treat their wives with more respect and use him as a cautionary tale of how not to be as a husband....cos dude's a straight up asshole. They can claim editing if they want to (and I bet they will) but they can't air what wasn't filmed.

Edited by fliptopbox