Type keyword(s) to search

Sherri Shepherd: "Is the Earth flat?"

springtime
  • Start Topic

The articles I noticed have been mentioning it as the first African American on Broadway to play the role. Keke Palmer idolizes Brandy so I'm sure her movie version hasn't been forgotten. In fact a few articles I have read have mentioned Brandy's version.

In the interests of complete accuracy, it was a television show, not a movie. Cinderella was an original Rodgers and Hammerstein musical written for television. Julie Andrews was the original C.

Can't speak to what Keke Palmer may know; no clue who she is. I was speaking of Sherri.

Edited by SFoster21
  • Love 1

Yes, all the attention on Keke playing R&H's Cinderella is because of her role on Broadway.  The Nightly News feature made that distinction, even though they did not mention the TV version with Brandi (which if I'm not mistaken was on NBC).

I thought it was funny that the NBC camera caught a banner that said, "Rodger and Hammerstein's Cinderella starring Keke Palmer and Sh."  Completely cut off Sherri's credit.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

In the interests of complete accuracy, it was a television show, not a movie. Cinderella was an original Rodgers and Hammerstein musical written for television. Julie Andrews was the original C.

Can't speak to what Keke Palmer may know; no clue who she is. I was speaking of Sherri.

Are we speaking of the same performance?  Brandy's version was a television movie not a show.  I'm also well aware of Julie Andrews history with Cinderella.  

Today at preschool a little boy stated "I'm chocolate" so it might be more common than you think. But Sherri has used the line about a little child being inspired by seeing "someone who looks like me" before -at Disney, when she met the first black Princess. I wonder when she will give it a rest?

I don't particularly care about Sherri one way or another, but I'd like to address this question.  I imagine Sherri will never give up that particular line - "a little child being inspired by someone who looks like me" - nor should she.  We are not in the position where Black people or people of color are regularly seen in quite a few professions and public arenas.  We're just now, in 2014, having a Broadway first.  We have our first Black president.  There are still many areas where someone will be first.  And every time that happens, there is a child who will be inspired and whose possibilities will be expanded.  That is important and noteworthy.

Edited by SistaLadybug
  • Love 11

So is every Broadway show that now has a black person in the lead role going to be touted as a first?  It's not like she's the first to star on Broadway, just the first to play Cinderella there.  Who knew that role was a major color barrier breakthrough.  Obviously I don't get why this particular role is such a big deal.

I don't think anybody mentioned that Whitney Houston was the fairy godmother in the 3rd TV Cinderella. 

I'm partially old so I fell in love with Lesley Ann Warren, Stuart Damon, Agnes Morehead, Celeste Holmes version.  I even recorded it on my portable 7" reel-to-reel recorder in the 60's. 

Edited by CattyTiger

But then I say to my  my chocolate family, you have to come out and support because if you support – it’s a money thing, it’s a ticket thing because then you’ll see a brown “Pinocchio” and so on and so you can’t say why don’t we see our people.  You can’t see our people if you don’t support and they have a ticket to fit every budget. … I know my family. They say, “I can’t afford this,  it’s too expensive…” We got tickets for $39, come on out and you can still see our teeth and we will still be smiling, and I say this with love come on out family!

http://thesource.com/2014/09/10/exclusive-stars-keke-palmer-sherri-shepherd-judy-kaye-talk-cinderalla-on-broadway/

Of all the characters I would mention- I don't think it would be Pinocchio (I always think of him as wood)

Is she focusing on Disney characters?

and now we know why Sherri's smile is so big and white (after her recent teeth whitening session)- It's for the folks in the cheap seats! lol

Edited by springtime
  • Love 3

How much longer are we allowed to discuss Sherri here? Do we move to the former hosts page?

I"m pretty sure Mod Athena posted a note about how this thread and Jenny's would be locked, and that we could only talk about Sherri in the Former hosts' thread as it pertains to what she is doing career wise. Meaning, no posting of her tweets, 'grams, and whatever is going on in her private life with the divorce.

• Love 1
Stay off of reality shows and slapping people that’s number one. Don’t look at that as the mode of your dream.

This is one of Sherri's quotes from the article that Springtime posted.  "Stay off of reality shows" ???   I thought that's one of the ONLY ways for a single celebrity MOM to support her family.

• Love 3

All snark aside, it is really wonderful to see those tears and smiles. What a dream I've always had to appear on a Broadway stage. I can feel that joy.

http://thesource.com/2014/09/10/exclusive-stars-keke-palmer-sherri-shepherd-judy-kaye-talk-cinderalla-on-broadway/

Of all the characters I would mention- I don't think it would be Pinocchio (I always think of him as wood)

Is she focusing on Disney characters?

and now we know why Sherri's smile is so big and white (after her recent teeth whitening session)- It's for the folks in the cheap seats! lol

I get this one. Wood comes in all shades of color and Pinocchio becomes a real boy at the end. So it translates fine.

• Love 1

That third picture of Sherri in the wings applauding Keke is the most real picture of Sherri I think I've seen.  She looks genuinely joyful.

About the "brown" thing...I always thought brown meant Mexican.  I remember, I guess first President Bush calling his grandbabies the brown ones.  Obviously meant very lovingly.  Maybe, too, it's more of a Texas thing.

Does anyone know how many lines Sherri has, or how much time onstage? I heard it was a minor role. And I don't know if it has been reviewed anywhere.

The TV production with Brandi a few years ago was notable because of the diverse casting. I still don't understand how this stage production is breaking any new ground.

• Love 3

Was Sherri scheduled to have this weekend off from Cinderella?

The Cinderella banner on her Facebook page announces that she will be back on Tuesday...

Sherri will return on September 15th, for the Tuesday Evening show

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialSherriShepherd/photos/a.396885166996423.96296.213345512017057/830491960302406/?type=1&theater

ETA-  This weekend's absence was not originally included in her schedule for the show: Wonder what's up!

*Sherri Shepherd will not perform September 19 - 20, September 24, September 28, October 30 and November 7-9.

Edited by springtime

Sherri had said Barbara was coming to  the show yesterday. I wonder if she did. And  tonight is Judy Kaye's first night so it's pretty strange Sherri isn't there. She will be missing an additional 4 shows.

ETA: Barbara did indeed go to the show: http://www.broadway.com/shows/cinderella/photos/photos-barbara-walters-real-housewives-star-kandi-burruss-more-have-a-ball-at-broadways-cinderella/

Edited by ginger90

Sherri's fb and tweets are always confusing.

In this case returning 9/15 and performing 9 /16. Just a few posts below she'll be there 9/9 to 11/23 except for 9/19/20 and 9/28. Huh?

She really needs to step it up with the people she hires to do her fb.

Petty comment -> Barbara's years of wearing heavy earrings has made her ear lobes SO stretched out and long. Often noticed that on the show and it also shows in these photos.

Jeffry has probably started school and sherri has been silent about her son, dogs, etc. That's a change from her history of tweeting frenzy in the past !

Edited by CathInAZ
  • Love 1

You know something? Sherri looks very different. More of an actress demeanor. I know that doesn't make a whole lot of sense maybe but she really does look very happy. And since she was probably dumped by Barbara among others she is very gracious looking in the photos. I've always thought that Sherri as an actress in sitcoms etc. does a pretty decent job in the roles she's played. I wish her well.

• Love 4

I'm partially old so I fell in love with Lesley Ann Warren, Stuart Damon, Agnes Morehead, Celeste Holmes version.  

That version was my absolute favorite as a little girl, and my mother even bought it for me on VHS as a young adult. But, I can't place Agnes Moorehead anywhere. I know she was in "The Singing Nun", and a voice in "Charlotte's Web", but what role did she play in Cinderella? 

At @shearinsanity97 ‘s shop listening to @RealJohnnyGill song “Behind Closed Doors” I had to stop and dance! This song is the jam!

Well- it doesn't seem like sickness or physical injury is the reason she is not doing Cinderella this weekend- Wonder why she is getting her hair done!

She should just keep quiet- folks that attended/ will attend this weekend are not happy with her not performing!

Rhonda Gardner-dezonie Hey Sherri you won't be there tonight. That's when I'm going with my granddaughter? Sorry !to miss you.

Yesterday at 9:23am

Travis Oteri Lucas I'm coming tomorrow at 2! Driving from Boston! Please come to the stage door after for an autograph and a picture!!!!!!

Yesterday at 9:19am

Kimberly Thomas We were coming to see YOU and Ke Ke this Sunday. Mama ain't happy.....
Edited by springtime
  • Love 1

Exactly who does Sherri think she is, she promotes the show, come see me etc then deserts her fans, her arrogance is disgusting. Her dates she would not be in the show were announced and this weekend was not included, she barely started....... Then she tweets she is dancing while getting her hair done, what is up with this woman??

• Love 5

Exactly who does Sherri think she is, she promotes the show, come see me etc then deserts her fans, her arrogance is disgusting. Her dates she would not be in the show were announced and this weekend was not included, she barely started....... Then she tweets she is dancing while getting her hair done, what is up with this woman??

Don't you know it's always about Sherri?  Oh she might act like she loves her fans but honestly it's always Sherri first.

• Love 2

She tweeted this:

@SherriEShepherd
I will be back in @CinderellaBway this Tuesday nite.

Seems to be a random tweet while she's enjoying her time off...

Wonder if she is having voice issues?  Sherri Shepherd on Voice Restriction - now- that would be funny!

• Love 1

Telecharge and the theater's box office disclosed the show dates on which Sherri will not be appearing in the show. If I were to guess, given the specificity of the dates, they are due to other gigs Sherri had already booked when she took the Cinderella role. If people didn't pay attention to those disclosures (or bought them second-hand), that's not Sherri's problem.

• Love 1

Telecharge and the theater's box office disclosed the show dates on which Sherri will not be appearing in the show. If I were to guess, given the specificity of the dates, they are due to other gigs Sherri had already booked when she took the Cinderella role. If people didn't pay attention to those disclosures (or bought them second-hand), that's not Sherri's problem.

As mentioned here and elsewhere, this weekend was not a planned (scheduled) weekend off for Sherri

*Sherri Shepherd will not perform September 19 - 20, September 24, September 28, October 30 and November 7-9.

Edited by springtime
  • Love 3

This weekend was not included in the dates posted on the show's page (or Sherri's Facebook). I don't blame people who actually wanted to see her for being annoyed.

• Love 3

This is what Sherri tweeted today

I am out until 9/14 and out again 9/23, 9/28 & 10/23 - hopefully I will see you!

This schedule differs from the information the show shared previously- Telecharge notes:

and  here's another listing (show's website) for comparison

Due to prior commitments, Sherri Shepherd is not scheduled to perform 9/19 - 9/20, 9/23, 9/24, 9/28, 10/30.

Seems like they are all using different calendars! (no mention of this weekend's absence before being added to Sherri's Facebook page yesterday)

Edited by springtime
  • Love 1

That version was my absolute favorite as a little girl, and my mother even bought it for me on VHS as a young adult. But, I can't place Agnes Moorehead anywhere. I know she was in "The Singing Nun", and a voice in "Charlotte's Web", but what role did she play in Cinderella? 

Huh.  I have got to be thinking of something else, but I really thought she was in that show.  Oh well, maybe it will come to me what I was thinking - haha.

This weekend was not included in the dates posted on the show's page (or Sherri's Facebook). I don't blame people who actually wanted to see her for being annoyed.

I don't blame them either. I'd be pissed, especially if I was coming in from out of town to see her performance. That's a pretty expensive excursion with travel and hotels etc. only to discover that she's pulling a last minute no-show that (apparently) isn't due to illness or injury or family emergency. The screwup with the announced dates may or may not be Sherri's fault, but somebody made a pretty big mistake. Appearances do matter, and it certainly looks a lot like Sherri just wanted a long weekend off.

Edited by TribbleTrouble
  • Love 5

Appearances do matter, and it certainly looks a lot like Sherri just wanted a long weekend off.

Tweeting about dancing and singing at a hair salon while an audience paid a lot of money to see her understudy on stage.

They had better start advertising her understudy- Kristin Carbone - as she will be seen more than Sherri!

http://www.broadwayworld.com/board/

Kristin Carbone is playing Madame all weekend.

Edited by springtime
  • Love 1

i guess this is the last day that we can snark about Sherri's tweeting/instagramming/legal troubles and other stuff in this forum, and up til a couple days ago, she went silent (be careful what you wish for). Anyway, for those of you who might continue to follow " The Whacky World of Sherri" and comment, please feel free to visit this site on facebook. (it's not a "hater" site so much as a "wtf" place.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/212170435638117/

• Love 5

Tweeting about dancing and singing at a hair salon while an audience paid a lot of money to see her understudy on stage.

I don't know anything about Broadway, but failing to show up in Hollywood can get you a reputation as "difficult" pretty fast. Allowances might be made for Judy Garland & Marilyn Monroe, but Sherri Shepherd can hardly expect that kind of indulgence. Seems like she'd try harder to make a good first impression.  

Wait, she took TWO more days off than initially scheduled? Wow. I think Sherri does not understand that tv stars are not revered in theater circles the way Broadway actors are. Anyone coming from tv has to prove themselves worthy. I remember American idol stars crossing over to Broadway. Fantasia barrino was one people had high expectations of. Her first Broadway stint, she took many days off and had a reputation of being unreliable. Clay Aiken was seen as stunt casting, and impressed everyone with his talent and work ethic. I wonder if Sherri is not taking this seriously enough. When whoopi said "8shows a week", she might have had an inkling that Sherri was not up to the rigorous schedule.

• Love 3

Wait, she took TWO more days off than initially scheduled? Wow. I think Sherri does not understand that tv stars are not revered in theater circles the way Broadway actors are. Anyone coming from tv has to prove themselves worthy. I remember American idol stars crossing over to Broadway. Fantasia barrino was one people had high expectations of. Her first Broadway stint, she took many days off and had a reputation of being unreliable. Clay Aiken was seen as stunt casting, and impressed everyone with his talent and work ethic. I wonder if Sherri is not taking this seriously enough. When whoopi said "8shows a week", she might have had an inkling that Sherri was not up to the rigorous schedule.

Off since Friday for a total of 4 shows missed (Fri night, two shows Sat and one today- It left a lot of upset patrons.

We don't know if the absence is legit!

Her next days off may be the 19th and 20th (lots of confusion with dates) - Someone needs to let Sherri know that Broadway works weekends!!!

In real life I help people (with disabilities) with employment- I would not be happy to have Sherri on my caseload (the job just started Tuesday!!!)

• Love 3