Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E22: Postcards From The Edge

paigow

Season 1 ends with Team Scorpion torn apart and uncertain about their future as a unit, but they are forced to come together to save Walter's life when his car teeters on the side of a cliff.

I wish Paige would go to Maine. Screaming and running like that towards someone balancing on a cliff and shouldn't move was stupid and she could have caused more damage.

• Love 1

I must have missed the part about why a helicopter could not have been used instead of a crane...

They said the wind generated by the blades would push the car down the cliff.

I did find it hard to believe Happy didn't think of a crane first, but I guess she didn't know one was in the area?

I get that they needed a main character to pull Walter out, and that Cabe is Robocop, but seriously, this would have been the episode to have a cross-over with CSI Cyber and have the Beek do it.

Or instead of damsel Paige, maybe they should have made Walter gay and had Paige be a brawny single father.

I watched the last half of the show, because there was nothing else on.  I knew Walter would be saved, Cabe would be forgiven, and Paige would stay.

I'm still bothered by the way Happy speaks, and I know it's shallow, but she talks like her tongue is slightly too big, and her mouth is too small, and it bugs me.  Again, I admit I'm being silly.  At least I don't mind Happy as a character, so over time I hope to get over the speech issue.

As for Walter, although I knew he wasn't going anywhere, I kind of hoped the car would just keep going down the cliff, until I realized that unseen rescue personnel were down below trying to reach him.  Couldn't take the chance that those people would get killed until they were out of the way, so the car must not move.

Walter's been a pain to watch because he's so sure he's the best.  Even when he opens the show with his description of his team members, he comes off as him being the one who saved them from a life on the fringes because they'd never get along without him. 

And although Paige is described as being the one with the most social awareness, she never figured out her own son was a genius until Walter told her.  Too much revolves around Walter, the grown up toddler.

Note to Paige, it's unseemly to kiss an unconscious man, even though it's obvious he'd love to kiss you.  If Walter ever finds out their first kiss happened when he wasn't aware of it, look for another tantrum.

That said, if there's nothing else on I'll watch again.

• Love 3

Ugh, so much stutter-inducing but but but but logic problems with this episode. Even more than usual. So my currently selected gripe is this:

In my various hospital experiences, if Paige were not his wife or mother or other direct family member, no they would not just let her go back and "hang out a bit" after the other lady specifically said it was after visiting hours. You wanna sleep in a chair in the hospital room with severely injured dude? Not just any random person can do that.

• Love 3

Eeg, drowning in schmaltz.  About all they missed was to have Walter/Paige/Ralph revisit the cliff, and the coyote and crow show up wanting to be the family pets.  Maybe next season, if there is one.

• Love 2

Happy contradiction...at the opening "Scorpion is dead, we need to find paying gigs"

at hospital, hostilely refuses "fauxJobs / fauxGates" . Even though Gallo has not rejoined DHS and their funding was redirected.

Ow, my eyes!  I couldn't believe how fake those special effects were when Cabe was hanging on the crane and grabbing Walter.  They were something I'd expect to see in a high school student's YouTube video!

For the life of me, I can't remember the movie (a comedy) where a couple of bad guys were in a car on the edge of a cliff when a seagull landed on the hood, flew off, and sent them down to their fiery death.  Yet Scorpion isn't a comedy (I don't think).

Katherine McPhee is a lovely woman and a great singer, but her "Noooooo!" at the cliff's edge was laughably bad.

Another sub-par episode of a show that I like (and want to like more).  Hopefully, over the summer, CBS will insist that they hire some better writers who can tell a good story in a believable way.  The second half of this season has been really poor for a big-time network TV drama.

• Love 4

What I find amazing is how on top of it the local news stations are in their area.  They seem to be on the scene of every Scorpion case--even those that are supposed to be hush-hush--with tons of very specific details.  They know who is working on a case, what the demands and deadlines are, and how the group is approaching the problem.  It's amazing.  

• Love 3

I loved Happy being Not!Page.

Policeman to Happy: Do you know what this badge means?

Happy: That you got Ds in high school?

One my favorite parts of the show. But I know some very well educated law enforcement officers.

And yes, Paige and Walter will they or won't they will be dragged out until they need to get them together to boost the ratings.

I can't believe this show was renewed and not Battle Creek. The writing and acting is so weak.

• Love 1

For the life of me, I can't remember the movie (a comedy) where a couple of bad guys were in a car on the edge of a cliff when a seagull landed on the hood, flew off, and sent them down to their fiery death. 

True Lies. The terrorist van was teetering on a destroyed bridge, they stabilized the van by moving to the back, but then the seagull ruined the equilibrium.

• Love 2

Are geniuses really like that in real life? Like, it's normal for them to insult the "little" people? God help this world.

Of course, Walter is not gonna die. But I did love the snark from the whole team towards Elia at the end. And Gallo's scuba certification.

Speaking of scuba certification, now that Gallo is off Homeland, how are they going to get the government projects now? Are they going to be working strictly for the private sector now? Isn't that much harder?

• Love 1

Wow, was that a waste of an hour. I haven't watched every show and this episode highlights why. That was without a doubt the silliest thing I have ever watched. The dialogue was mind numbing and the acting verged on downright stupid. I sure don't plan on watching any more episodes if the show returns.

• Love 1

Between the coyote and now the crow, it really does seem like the animals had a vendetta against Walter these past few episodes.  Did he do something in the past that just pissed of Mother Nature's little critters?

I'm trying not to be too harsh on Katherine McPhee, but just like last week, there was another moment where I felt her line delivery didn't make the sense: the way she yelled "Why can't you go faster?!", when she speeding towards the wreck sight, really didn't sound like a person freaking out over someone she cared for, being in danger.  She sounded more like she was late for a movie or something.

Another unintentional laugh: at the beginning, CBS showed a banner for Under the Dome at the bottom of the screen, and when the stupid butterfly starting moving around, it was right when Toby looked down and paused for a second.  For a brief second, I forgot it was just an advertisement, and thought Toby got distracted by the pretty butterfly.

I know that Scorpion's big thing is that they are horrible at people skills and that's why they need Paige, but I would think that at this point, both Toby and Happy would know that back-talking a cop like that, is just asking for the cuffs.

Of course, Walter is not only saved, but by Cabe, doing it as heroically as possible.  Nothing surprising there.

Walt/Paige kiss.... well, actually Paige just kisses a knocked out Walt.  Doesn't really count!

At least Sly mentioned Megan a few times, although I wished we actually got to see her again.

So, the team is back, but isn't Cabe still out of Homeland (speaking of which, that whole thing was so ridiculous.  Considering all the press Team Scorpion got and all the damn crimes they prevented, why in the hell was Agent Baldy so thrilled to be done with them?), so who exactly are they going to work for?  More importantly though, I wonder what preposterous stuff they have planned for next season?  The possibilities are endless!

• Love 2

More importantly though, I wonder what preposterous stuff they have planned for next season?  The possibilities are endless!

They could hack various gangster bank accounts and fund their "A-Team 2.0" adventures...fighting injustice pro bono.

• Love 3

Between the coyote and now the crow, it really does seem like the animals had a vendetta against Walter these past few episodes.  Did he do something in the past that just pissed of Mother Nature's little critters?...

The crow stayed so long that I was beginning to think it was Walter's spirit guide animal. But wrong show.
  • Love 2

I loved Happy being Not!Page.

Policeman to Happy: Do you know what this badge means?

Happy: That you got Ds in high school?

One my favorite parts of the show. But I know some very well educated law enforcement officers...
Yes, and I'm glad you weren't offended by my post.

I enjoyed it because Jadyn Wong really sold it, and it was nice to see her express her outrage without just using bleep words.

I have a genius-IQ daughter who got arrested in an airport because she wouldn't either give up a bullet-shaped necklace or pay $75 to check it as baggage and then began cussing at TSA and eventually at the cops. I wish she had at least gotten arrested using witty put-downs like Happy did.

And sorry mods et al. for making 2 consecutive posts; I meant to edit the first one, but now it seems moot.

Edited by shapeshifter

I wish this show could exist without Walter.  He's such a dick.  Too bad he's the main character. 

I don't pay attention to most of the episode anymore when it's on.  Between Walter and the ridiculously unrealistic happenings, I just can't stomach it anymore.  Shame, because the concept was good.

• Love 4

Are geniuses really like that in real life? Like, it's normal for them to insult the "little" people? God help this world.

Well, Hollywood thinks geniuses are like that.  I think partly to make them feel better about all the geniuses they themselves beat down when they were young...  Happy probably got away with it the same way Toby does, by sounding very reasonable and not cursing, and it takes a moment for the dis to sink in...  Still, do that to TSA and they will happily haul you aside and bump up the spot-check quota...

Walter continually, persistently, endlessly, fails to learn.  That is not genius, that is dumb.

• Love 4

It really bugs me that they're portraying intelligent people are such jerks.  Yes, they're smart and quick-thinking, but that doesn't mean that they spend their time insulting everyone. 

• Love 8

The best part of this episode was Robert Patrick appearing on The Price Is Right the morning of the episode and presenting the Showcase as Agent Cabe Gallo. He looked like he was having so much fun, it was hilarious.

Also, people with high IQs, even in just a specific area, can be... different - I am rated in the 99th percentile in a lot of verbal tasks, and around the 32nd percentile in things like processing speed.

So not a genius genius, but someone with superior intelligence in tasks of verbal ability. Personally, I have issues socially - more anxiety related than anything.

• Love 1

Well, Hollywood thinks geniuses are like that.

Sylvester is one end of the good genius spectrum...Will Hunting is the other end, the genius not afraid to knock you out. Walter is a wannabe Will Hunting.

eh, I enjoyed it.  I knew Walter would be saved, Cabe would be forgiven, and Paige and Ralph would stay (McPhee isn't giving up this gig).  I laughed out loud at how fake the special effects were, especially Walter and Cabe hanging from the crane.  I still liked it though.  What can I say, I'm a sucker for cheesy plot lines! 

Since it was the season finale I am glad they tied up loose ends, I do not like series/season finale episodes that end on a cliffhanger!  During the season ok but NOT finales!

Add me into the camp of liking supporting players more than the main characters.  Loved Happy, Toby, and Sylvester.  Little Ralph was cute too.  Really like the dynamic with him and Walter.  McPhee kissing Walter while he was unconscious was a little weird but since if he were awake he would love to kiss her it made it slightly less creepy.

• Love 4
(edited)

It really bugs me that they're portraying intelligent people are such jerks.

Yes, with Walter being kind of out of it, his worst traits got transferred to Happy.  I know everyone's panicking over Walter but I don't remember her being quite so obnoxious; yeah, yeah, genius = social nitwit. She's just seemed to sort of get that you can take control, be firm and efficient without needlessly insulting people.   Plus again the normal rescue crew is too dumb to do the job they've been presumably been doing for years.

I basically enjoy the silliness and like the cast but I hope next season they balance the geniuses swooping in to save the day with the regular people who actually do know what they're doing.  Non-geniuses don't have to be idiots at their jobs to make the geniuses look smart.  I thought they achieved this with the kid stuck in the watery cave episode - nice balance - but they've regressed a bit. 

I did get a little aw from Cabe saving Walter. 

I laughed out loud at how fake the special effects were, especially Walter and Cabe hanging from the crane.  I still liked it though.

OMG this!!!  The effects were hilariously bad.  I still gave the little "aw" though.

Edited by raven
(edited)

I have been highly irritated at the poor writing on this show most of the season. This episode may be my last.

1. Geniuses do not swerve to avoid small animals, it is driving 101.

2. Geniuses know the spleen is needed; you can live without it on medication for rest of life.

3. Page makes it from inside airport to mountain road in less than 22 minutes, lol.

4. Walter wasn't arrested for careless driving.

5. When being rescued the editors messed up and the wound switches from left-side to right-side and back again, lame!

6. A perfect opportunity to reboot and work for a wealthy corporation instead of the government and they say no?

7. The weight of a bird and all has been debunked on Myth Busters, stupid to use that in a genius show.

8. The speed and weight of a car off a cliff would not be stopped by that flimsy cliff edge.

Will the writers please post their own IQ's instead of Walter's fake and unconfirmed one.

Edited by BuccaneerDTB

I have watched this show on and off all season. I really want to like it. The concept is interesting. But they need some writers who have at least half the IQ of the people being written about. Too much of the plotting is mind numbingly stupid.

And please stop writing the characters as charicatures. There is so much potential here.

• Love 1

In anticipation for the new season, I watched this episode (I'd given up on the show after a few episodes.) Great episode, except.... why did no one think right away of using a crane to lower a cherry picker or something to get Walter out of the car, until it was almost too late? Seriously, are all the rescuers in that part of town so inept that no one could come up with that idea?

Edited by Big Mother

Yes, one of my pet peeves is not putting in a line that would close up a plot hole like that. Even if someone suggested it and someone else explained why it wouldn't work, that would be better than ignoring the possibility. IMO.

Apologies, apologies, I did officially retire from this show, and I'm staying that way.  However, I think the habit of good ideas only coming from Team Scorpion is an unfortunate and persistent trope for this series.  Another earlier example is Ralph rushing into the radioactive building because only he could help...  an attitude I think he could arguably have acquired from Walter...

Nope, nope, I'm going away again.  Just had to mention it's been a trope.  Don't like tropes - think they are lazy...

I laughed twice in this episode both times involved Cabe.  The first was when he was told he was being reassigned to the "Pomona Airport".  There isn't a "Pomona Airport"!  Was the other guy referring to Brackett Field, CA or the Atlantic Airport, NJ?  Was this just the worst place the writers could think of, the back of the beyond?

I laughed again when Cabe showed up at the accident scene and took over with his scuba certification.  Guess one doesn't always need 'psychic paper' to bluff one's way through. :0)

• Love 1

I agree with most criticisms that most people have made: just wanted to add that it's lucky that the Airport had one of those "plot-sensing TVs" that showed Walter on the Cliffside just as Paige & her son were walking by (it was rather more believable a couple of episodes back when it was the kid being dug out of a rockslide as they explicitly mentioned that multiple news crews were a the scene - and "child in peril" stories are FAR more likely to run live than "Car runs off Cliffside").