Type keyword(s) to search

Emma Swan: 1000% done with your infuriating optimism

• Start Topic

(edited)
Surely she knew Regina had an evil agenda, though. She knew she framed MM for murder, had Kathryn abducted, and framed her with Archie's files. Then there was the Henry abuse.

Well, of course. That's why she tried to take Henry away at the end of 1x20! Emma's concern has always been first and foremost Henry. Unlike Regina, Emma was concerned about his well-being not about what else was going on in the crazy Storybrooke. After the events of episode 1x20, which is when enough things had happened for Emma to have suspected a larger agenda at play (something more than just a troubled 10 yr old and a deranged hat maker), she was more concerned with getting Henry out of harm's way and that's when everything steamrolled into the events that led her to break the curse in 1x22. There was no point between 1x20 and the finale where she would have had time to stop and say "Hmm, perhaps I should investigate weird thing <x>" while Henry was always priority number one.

ETA: To save some viewers the frustration, the writers could've removed some of the more pointless episodes from the middle of s1, such as Dreamy, and that would've gotten to the curse breaking sooner. But they didn't because they wanted to end s1 with Emma breaking the curse. 

Emma: "Your mom is going to take really good care of you!"

Based off.. what? Your denial?

Emma had no choice but to go with what Archie, Henry's therapist, who was familiar with the situation for far longer than she was, was telling her. She had no reason not to believe Archie and her own experience was telling her that she was the problem. It wasn't about denial. Emma was trying to do what she could to save Henry from more harm. Henry refused to leave with Emma and she wasn't going to take him against his will, and furthermore Regina was aggressive because Emma was in town (Yes, we know it was because Regina is a homicidal lunatic, but Emma had no such proof to back her up). Emma couldn't start a custody battle with zero evidence against a powerful vindictive woman when chances were doing so would only get Henry hurt. As far as Emma could see, the only way to save Henry from more pain was for her to leave. The curse or whatever shenanigans were going on in town were never Emma's concern. It was always about Henry.

Edited by regularlyleaded
  • Love 3
Like when she allied with Sidney in Fruit of the Poisonous Tree, or when she tried to negotiate peace and trust Henry with Regina in 1x21.

From Emma's perspective on the Regina/Henry situation, her hands were pretty damn tied. She couldn't take Henry because she signed away her parental rights when she put him up for adoption. Taking off with him without the permission of the custodial parent is kidnapping, even if it would have been for the right reasons. If they were ever found, Regina would get Henry back and would probably slap Emma with a restraining order ... and since Emma would have committed a felony, would anyone listen to her reasoning? Innocent townspeople ended up caught in the crossfire in the war between her and Regina. She had Archie telling her that it was her arrival in town that made Regina go all ... Regina. (And it a way, it was, though not for the reasons Emma and Archie thought.)

She was thinking that by her leaving, Regina would calm the F down. With no one for Regina to fight with, the war over Henry would stop, which would be better for everyone but most importantly Henry. She was the catalyst, so if she removed herself, she'd remove a good chunk of the problem.

She wasn't talking about leaving permanently. She'd said as much to Regina, that the world in which she was not a part of Henry's life was gone. I do think she would have been monitoring the situation while also working on something she could do legally. It's not like she was all, "Bye, see ya!" It was just to make things better for the long-term, she was trying to minimize the damage in the short-term.

Edited by Dani-Ellie
  • Love 1
It was just to make things better for the long-term, she was trying to minimize the damage in the short-term.

Except, she knows Regina doesn't do peace terms. She doesn't play fair. Regina would keep trying to eliminate her, no matter what. Emma left Henry with her because she was scared of the responsibility. As MM said, she was reverting and thinking more about herself. I wouldn't trust Regina with that arrangement to save my life. The woman was abusive to her child, and just giving up just seemed abrupt for the plot. Why were hands tied now, but not before?

She tried to save Henry because she loved him.

I found her escape in 1x20 to be in-character. It was trusting Regina in 1x21 that didn't sit right with me, because up to that point she had no intention of doing so. The writers wrote it in there to get Henry to eat the poison apple.

Emma had her hands tied. What exactly were her options?

Wait in the shadows for Regina to slip, then go to court. Mr. Gold was an option, until August came in and interfered. The whole situation was contrived. It wasn't just Emma that bothered me, it was just the abrupt writing that set it all up.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 1
(edited)
Except, she knows Regina doesn't do peace terms. She doesn't play fair. Regina would keep trying to eliminate her, no matter what. Emma left Henry with her because she was scared of the responsibility.

Emma had her hands tied. What exactly were her options? She had no legal recourse. No leg to stand on. Believing in some magical bullshit wasn't going to help her either and it was neither here nor there as far as Emma was concerned. She was worried about saving Henry not saving crazy magic town.

IMO, to just say Emma was afraid of responsibility is being reductive. It's not that simple. A person afraid of responsibility doesn't abscond with a child. Emma didn't want to believe her whole life was a lie. She didn't believe enough in herself to think she could be responsible for everyone in a town or that she was even capable of saving anyone. She tried to save Henry because she loved him. That's not being afraid of responsibility so much as just not believing in yourself, who you are and what you could be. 

• Love 2
As MM said, she was reverting and thinking more about herself. I wouldn't trust Regina with that arrangement to save my life.

And it was that talk with Mary Margaret ("You're his mother. That's your job. So you figure it out.") and the subsequent talk with Archie ("And look, the court is going to come in and look at how he's been since you've come into his life." "He's been happier, right?" "Maybe, but objectively? He's skipped school, he's stolen a credit card, he's run off, he's endangered himself repeatedly.") that led her to retreat. She had the kid's therapist telling her that for all she might want to be helping, she wasn't and she was facing an uphill battle trying to prove otherwise. She had the kid's therapist telling her that her presence was endangering him ("A while ago, I told you to engage him in his fantasy life and perhaps that was wrong because he's only retreated further into it." "Her actions have all been defensive. I'm not judging but in many ways, your arrival has woken a sleeping dragon.") And then she had the kid's therapist telling her that it wasn't a matter of who he was better off with as much as it was the two mothers needing to learn to deal with each other.

She was faced with Solomon's Choice. Two mothers claimed the child ... and Emma let him go rather than see him split in two. And like I said above, she wasn't going away completely. She went to Regina to tell her that she was going to leave but she was going to come back for visits and she was going to call. She was still going to have her eye on the situation, but she was trying to do what she thought was best for Henry in the meantime.

Edited by Dani-Ellie
  • Love 1

It would actually have been more fun to watch if they had shown more of a progression... Emma looking at MM and David, and thinking, wait-a-minute, what if they were really my parents?  Testing out predictions, and uncovering more and more that could not be explained away by facts.  Unfortunately, on top of not believing, Emma also got the "idiot ball" by falling for Sidney's fake turncoat act.  

One key episode where Emma took a step forward and seemed to revert after was "Hat Trick".  After that episode, Emma asked to look at the book.  We could have seen a noticeable change in how Emma responded to events in the next few episodes after that.  The ending of "The Stranger" was already very powerful, since it seemed like Emma did not *want* to believe because she did not want the responsibility of being the Savior, so it would have fit if she was starting to believe to a certain extent, but believing does not necessarily equal being up to the task of saving an entire displaced civilization, especially since she was not used to having so many people who were personally connected to her, depend on her.  She helped people as a bailsbondsperson, but they were essentially strangers so she didn't have to open up to them.  I guess the problem is they couldn't have Emma believe and yet choose to leave Storybrooke.  Still, I'm sure creative minds could have plotted Emma's journey a little better.  

Part of the problem is that in hindsight, knowing that they were going to break the Curse in the S1 finale, knowing Emma would believe and everyone would get their memories back at once AND knowing that we were never going to see the fallout properly play out in terms of Emma accepting who her parents were were and what they had to do, Emma acknowledging Regina was actually the cause of her abandonment as a child, Emma trying to reconcile letting someone like the Evil Queen raise her child, not to mention Snow and Charming dealing with the baby they saw moments ago suddenly being a 28-year-old woman, and all the emotions that would stem from that.  It just seems even more of a shame that we couldn't get little parcels of payoff along the way.

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 4

Emma needs another mom because Snow is full of fail.

She's really sucking it big time right now, isn't she. While a large part me wants to smack Snow hard, a small part of me is laughing at her "We failed, David" comments because I just know in his head David must've been like "Oh, hell NO, woman! Don't throw me under this bus with you! This one's aaaaaall you, SnowCakes. Allll you."

• Love 2

So there's a dwarf Emma despises, WTF? 

Yeah, I thought that was weird.

Someone (sorry forgot who) posted in the episode thread that maybe it had to do with Jen's twitter thing with the real actor months ago? If so, I find that not only awkward but out of line.

• Love 2

I was reading that as a joke, like, "Well, obviously, one of us won't be of any help, so who the hell can we send instead?"

Agreed. I thought Hook was just frustrated and being snarky.

That said, the fact that JMo had a public kerfluffle with the Happy dwarf a few months ago did make it uncomfortable for me as a viewer. I'm sure it's the show's way of poking fun at the Twitter stuff, but it just did feel a little hinky.

• Love 4

I'm the one who mentioned it in the other thread! Hook mentioned Emma hating one of the dwarves and then Charming made a comment to Snow about being surprised she invited Happy to some party. The actor who plays Happy is the one that Jen had the tif with, so it was odd.

• Love 3

So how did Emma not think that Hook is a "fan" of her magic given how he actually embrace it since it's part of her?  Between this actual exact line and the season finale from last year, I'm not sure where that came from.  I hate plot point writing.

Was that the first time we saw Emma's portion of the apartment? Also do her and Henry share a bed? Because if so then no wonder he wanted to stay with Regina. I'm going to assume his bed was out of sight, or I missed it.

• Love 1

They can build a set in the loft but not one for Emma to have her own place?

I don't think Emma was questioning Hook being a fan of her magic really. She picked up right away that something was different with him. His hug (and kiss just after) had some urgency in it. We know it was for other reasons but Emma is kinda taken aback by his reaction.

They can build a set in the loft but not one for Emma to have her own place?

My personal fanwank at this point in time is that Emma's magic has made the apartment like the TARDIS, and it's bigger on the inside--there's plenty of room up there for Henry to have a room, too, now.  As Nealflake gets bigger, his room might appear, too.

Since she can't have her own place.  For reasons.

• Love 1

From the episode thread.

The fireworks were cute, but when and how did Emma learn to do that? And if she gets upset about something (such as her boyfriend having no heart or lying to her), what's to say she won't lose control of them again?

I wondered too. So, if Emma ever has a moment of self-doubt or self-loathing, is her Magic going to out of control again? And how come she is able to do these complicated spells without any training whatsoever? Ingrid learnt magic inside an Urn. So, I shouldn't ask, I suppose. heheh

• Love 1

My fanwank is that those with inherent magic like Emma and Ingrid don't need basic spells for many things because it's instinct for them. Just like no one taught Emma how to make that crazy bridge to save herself in season 3B; Emma did it all on instinct. Not that training can't help, but I'm subscribing to the idea that inherent magical users can get away with their inherent talent to make what they want happen. A real world analogy would be that inherent magical users are like kids who are born music geniuses and pick up music like a duck to water without (or very little) guidance.

ETA:  I'm also assuming now that Emma has truly embraced all the aspects of herself and her magic that she can control it far better because she doesn't see it as an unwanted part of herself. She's not rejecting it (even on a subconscious level) so she has a better handle on it. I imagine Emma's emotional magical outbursts now should be more like Elsa's little snowflakes when she's upset. I have zero idea what Emma's equivalent would be, but whatever (it's not like the show would ever be consistent about it). This is just my fanwank anyway. This of course can/will all change depending on what the plot of the week dictates. 

• Love 5

It would have been apropos if instead of fireworks, Emma had made some northern lights happen.  But I get that it was a nod to the Wonderful World of Disney and yes, I am old enough to remember watching it at my Grandma's.  Walt Disney would be scandalized by this latest episode what with Robin Hood neglecting Roland and frozen Marian for sexcapades in the mausoleum.

Was that the first time we saw Emma's portion of the apartment? Also do her and Henry share a bed? Because if so then no wonder he wanted to stay with Regina. I'm going to assume his bed was out of sight, or I missed it.

Ha, not only must Emma and Henry share that bed, where do you suppose Elsa's sleeping?

My fanwank is that those with inherent magic like Emma and Ingrid don't need basic spells for many things because it's instinct for them. Just like no one taught Emma how to make that crazy bridge to save herself in season 3B; Emma did it all on instinct. Not that training can't help, but I'm subscribing to the idea that inherent magical users can get away with their inherent talent to make what they want happen. A real world analogy would be that inherent magical users are like kids who are born music geniuses and pick up music like a duck to water without (or very little) guidance.

ETA:  I'm also assuming now that Emma has truly embraced all the aspects of herself and her magic that she can control it far better because she doesn't see it as an unwanted part of herself. She's not rejecting it (even on a subconscious level) so she has a better handle on it. I imagine Emma's emotional magical outbursts now should be more like Elsa's little snowflakes when she's upset. I have zero idea what Emma's equivalent would be, but whatever (it's not like the show would ever be consistent about it). This is just my fanwank anyway. This of course can/will all change depending on what the plot of the week dictates. 

This is kinda where I was at with my fanwank.  I saw it as Emma always treating her magic as this foreign thing that was in her, but not her.  Just like coming to terms with being The Savior was difficult for her, it was even more bizarre to accept Savior Magic.  Once she embraced it as part of her rather than is weird thing about her and she was no longer holding it apart from herself, she's more connect to it and it became innate.  

Yes, Emma's magic is useful but it's also part of who she is. It's part of what makes her Emma. And not only were Snow and Charming just going to allow her to remove a part of herself, Charming snarked at Hook when he asked if Emma even mentioned the method that the method didn't matter. Spells can go wrong, magical objects can backfire. Wouldn't they be concerned that Emma herself could get hurt in the magical removal process?

I can't believe I'm about to type these words but: thank you, Regina. Someone needed to kick Snow's and Charming's asses into gear. Of course she did it in the snarkiest and most hypocritical way possible because she's Regina but still.

For sure, Charming and Snow were weirdly naive about how Emma managed to find a way to get rid of her magic.  They definitely seemed to be responding with half a brain.  I guess the writers did this since they wanted Emma to be in the same place as Elsa in the Frozen movie, and they wanted Elsa to play Anna's role in saving Emma, so no one else must get to her first. They probably also wanted to parallel the parents being afraid of their child's power and seeing it as a negative.  They could have done it so much better, though.

I suspect Charming was thinking about all the times Emma bemoaned being the Savior and how she felt about that role.  This is what Emma told David in "The New Neverland": "Every time I think I'm gonna sit back and enjoy myself, I can't because it's never gonna stop.  My magic has a price.  The price of being the Savior is I don't get a day off."  I can see how he might think Emma's life might be happier without magic.  By having Elsa explain to Snow in the deleted scene that she herself felt torn about whether she would keep or lose her magic, it no doubt added to Snow's indecision about whether she should go out and interfere, or let Emma decide what would make her happy.  Again, I think it's idiotic for the writers to make Snow and Charming so stupid as to not realize that getting rid of one's magic would have a huge price, and that's where I fault them the most for the writing in this episode.  Plus "resolving" the crap they threw at Snow in the last episode with a phone call, while Regina got a whole bunch of face-time showed how little they care about the Emma/parents relationship.

Edited by Camera One

Yes Emma, save the world again. Oh and here, have a baby. You look like you need a challenge. Emma's got the worst life ever. I hope she takes a nice long vacation to Hawaii after this and brings the heartless, but still very hot pirate along.

The goodbye scene still was off with Emma and Snow because instead of saying Emma we love you and trust you and leaving it at that, Snow continues on to say that they don't fear her magic because it's what is going to save them from this curse. It was meant to be sweet and wonderful but once again, Emma's magic is useful to them, so isn't it great that she has it? Last week, they thought she might be better off "normal" but now it's what they need, so yay magical Emma!

• Love 7

In the fanfic thread someone posted that Emma's eyes being green in a fic bothers them. I always have thought her eyes were green. I googled it. Seems no one can quite agree on her eye color. This tells me that her eyes are either many colors ( most likely from the untouched pictures I could find) or are gray or hazel. I think they just change with the lighting and her outfits. So we should probably give fic writers a break on Emma's eye color.

I always assumed green since they look greenish and Ginny, cast as her mom, has green eyes. Her eyes really don't look blue in comparison to either Josh or Colin.

I was going to post on this too! I thought her eyes were a hazel green, and was thrown when a fic writer wrote Emma's eyes as blue. I'm thinking it's not easy to tell, and certain shades get highlighted depending on the lighting, etc..

This tells me that her eyes are either many colors ( most likely from the untouched pictures I could find) or are gray or hazel.

I'm going with hazel. My sister has hazel eyes and most of the time, they look green but if she's wearing a lot of blue, they look blue. I don't see any blue in this still on IMDb but if I remember correctly, her eyes seemed blue to me when she was wearing the blue cloak in the Enchanted Forest of the Past.

I pretty much have that color eyes. My optometrist says they're technically blue, but she sees that when she's looking into them with magnifying instruments and bright lights. In ordinary light, they're so dark you can't really tell if they're blue or green, but they lean toward greenish and there's a gold ring around the pupil. There are certain shades of green that I wear that make them look really, really green, and they look bright green if I've been crying. Some shades of blue make them look greener in contrast, but other shades of blue make them look blue. If someone were to write me as a fictional character, either blue or green would be accurate, depending on the situation. My driver's license says hazel because of the gold and because all that I wrote above doesn't fit in that little space, and I was worried that putting either green or blue would be inaccurate at some point. Next to someone with truly blue eyes, I don't look like I have blue eyes. So, yeah, hazel works. But I would also say that you probably don't want to go overboard describing the eye color constantly in fiction. Stay in the head of your viewpoint character and put what they'd be thinking at that moment. Even Hook, as much as he loves Emma, probably isn't going to spend all the time he looks at her thinking about what color her eyes are. It'll only come up if it matters in that moment. And please, for heaven's sake, don't mention her eye color when you're in her viewpoint.

Since I started the whole eye thing. All I said was that it can take me out of the story because Jennifer's eyes are blue. I didn't say it made the story suck or anything like that. I even said I knew it was a stupid thing. I've never sent any author a complaint nor will I ever. It's kinda a small thing that was in the fanfiction thread and somehow made its way to the Emma thread. It has been blown out of proportion, and people are apparently bothered by a simple statement.

Edited by Stuffy

Since I started it the whole thing all I said is that it can take me out of the story because Jennifer's eyes are blue. I didn't say it made the story suck or anything like that. I even said I knew it was stupid. I've never sent any author a complaint nor will I ever. It's kinda a small thing that was in the fanfiction thread and somehow made its way to the Emma thread. It has been blown out of proportion, and people are apparently annoyed by a simple statement.

I don't think anyone is annoyed, I was just curious because you said her eyes were blue and I always thought green. Then Google wasn't helpful. So really just an observation prompted by your comment.

I don't think anyone is annoyed, I was just curious because you said her eyes were blue and I always thought green. Then Google wasn't helpful. So really just an observation prompted by your comment.

The previous comment kinda made it sound like I was being a jerk complaining which I wasn't. I just wanted to be clear. I should've quoted that person.

I always thought Jennifer's eyes were blue when she was on house and then Lana described her as blonde hair and blue eyed. I figured a coworker with a tendency to get in her personal space while filming would know. I definitely think they can appear different with outfits and lighting.

Edited by Stuffy

Here is a tumblr post of nothing but Jennifer Morrison's eyes: http://hookedemma.tumblr.com/post/52913993190/jennifer-morrison-eyes

If Jennifer Morrison is considered blue-eyed, then the way the OUAT chooses to light them or color-correct them on screen and in promotional photos, I feel they much more often make them green. So I would consider Emma to have green or blue-green eyes even if Jmo's may possibly be more blue in real life.

• Love 1

The eye color discussion again. ;-)

Green eyes and even more so Hazel eyes can appear in different lights and with different color surrounding in different shades, because eye color appearance is not just based on pigmentation of the iris (stroma) (low to moderate concentration of dark melanin) but as well on what is called Rayleigh scattering (it's the same effect that makes the sky appear blue). Hazel can range from nearly brown to a more green color, sometimes the iris can look even multicolored, and its more greenish version it is sometimes taken as green. It's maybe the most confusing and confused eye color, it probably would be better to talk of brown-green than hazel, and it's used pretty much in cases where the eye color is not clearly definable as brown or green. Green is the rarest eye color worldwide, Hazel somewhat more common, maybe as common as blue eyes while brown is the most common eye color worldwide, but regional it highly differs, in Northern Europe and the US blue and grey are still the most common.

But eye color is mostly interesting, because we like to associate personality types with eye color, don't we? You can search the web (Google, Bing, whatever search engine you prefer) and find some personality tests relating to eye color, kitchen pop psychology all, but have fun with it. Green eyes have an air of mystery, are thought to be passionate, sensual, but moody, unpredictable, unconventional. In combination with red hair particular green eyes have been thought to be a mark of people with magic or capable of magic, and sometimes are feared as evil. Hazel eyes have a bit of that Green traits touch. Blue eyes are sincere and devoted, sometimes seen as cold and calculated but still often reliable, they can be youthful and energetic. Brown eyes are warm, loyal, outgoing, practical, steadfast. That is for our Western cultures, other cultures might have a bit of a different take on it.

Different appearance changes perception, and can even mean different expectations regarding personality. So it can matter if we think a character has blue or green eyes.

Of course can't be all sure if it were Jennifer Morrison's eye they filmed in close-up for the pilot (the morning after, she awakes in the cell), but very sure that was no blue eye (have to scroll a little down on that page to a screencap of the shot)

Edited by katusch
  • Love 1

Of course can't be all sure if it were Jennifer Morrison's eye they filmed in close-up for the pilot (the morning after, she awakes in the cell), but very sure that was no blue eye (have to scroll a little down on that page to a screencap of the shot)

This makes me hate A&E a little for not even trying all that hard to dissociate themselves from Lost with all those things we have on Once. 

Also brown eye rule.  Everyone else will have to deal with it!

• Love 1