Type keyword(s) to search

Face Off in the Media

Bella

I've been dealing with an ongoing crisis for another show (19 Kids and the damn Duggars), so thanks for bringing over that delightful bit of news to brighten my day, Morakot.

• Love 3

Well, good for FaceOff. I wish it had come for a better season (although this one wasn't terrible), but I'm sure they'll take it nevertheless. And I assume this means we'll see a couple more seasons of it (assuming they can find quality competitors).

• Love 1

They totally deserve it!!!  Even with our mild complaints about this season (which had some good challenges, but some less-good contestants), Face Off is still consistently the best reality show I've seen.  It's fun, the contestants aren't psycho attention whore drama queens, and we get some good insight and criticism into the craft. 

• Love 4

This isn't specific to Face Off, but I thought you guys would appreciate the information. This is a short interview with one of the prosthetics designers for Game of Thrones. He talks about the process, as well as what a team effort it is (he says it can take 10-15 people up to 4 weeks to design full prosthetics and then 5-6 hours to apply them). When you compare that to the Face Off contestants getting a few days to conceptualize, create, and apply their designs, it's just crazy.

• Love 3

Face Off's Facebook page just posted this: 

https://www.facebook.com/FaceOffSyfy/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1415757205118827

So, an all star season it is! And I know lots of people thought he was a goober, but I am beyond excited that Cig is back. His Minotaur is still maybe my favorite thing on this show ever.

ETA: Here's an article about the season: http://deadline.com/2016/10/face-off-all-stars-syfy-january-24-1201841412/

Edited by Nutjob
Found more info. Yay!
  • Love 3

Exciting news!  I saw every season except season 1 and I don't remember half of those people but maybe I will when I see them.  I was one who liked Cig so........ Yay!

This isn't about Face-Off, but it's similar to the GoT video I posted a few months ago. This is a very short (2 minute) video about the makeup process for a new character on The Magicians. The makeup guy said it took them six weeks to design this and it takes about eight hours to apply everything to the actress. The way they get the hair to stand on end is pretty cool.

• Love 1

ITA - seeing how long shows like GoT and The Magicians have to design a look and apply everything to an actor compared to the extremely short timeline on Face Off really makes me appreciate how hard the contestants work to conceive and execute a look in two days. They work under some serious time constraints!

• Love 2
(edited)

Season 12 starts June 13. Wait! What?
https://www.facebook.com/FaceOffSyfy/photos/a.192722500755643.51831.168029729891587/1611236262237586/

First, they make us wait a whole year between seasons 10 and 11. Now they're going to start season 12 less than two months after 11?!?!? I love me some Face Off, and I never agreed with the philosophy that they needed to take a season off so there was a full year between seasons. but even I think June is too soon. This was posted on April 7; don't they don't April Fools was on the first?

Edited by Richness
  • Love 4

Alternately, it's been a full year (probably longer than that, actually) since they actually had new artists in the lab.  By spacing it out and doing a season that was exclusively returning contestants, they didn't dilute the new talent pool nearly as much.  That's at least one or two classes of fresh talent coming from Tom Savini's and Anthony's schools.

• Love 3

Because the Westmores are important to this show, the appearance of any earlier Westmore on the credits of Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte and in the Vanity Fair article "the real story" is kind of interesting.

Feeling ostracized, Crawford retreated further from the group—spending the majority of her time either avoiding the heat (and crew) in her trailer, or enforcing her compulsive routine on her entourage members including makeup artist Monte Westmore.

“I’d wake her up at six,” Westmore told Considine of his time with Crawford in Baton Rouge. “She’d exercise a little bit while I set out her makeup. Then she’d make breakfast, which I had to eat.” Crawford applied her makeup herself, and tasked Westmore with the enormous task of finding the perfect false eyelashes. “They always had to be just right,” explained Westmore. “Trimmed perfectly in line, then curled in a circle. I would layout six pair for her on the table. She would then inspect them. . . We went through a gross and a half of eyelashes per picture.”

http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/04/feud-bette-davis-joan-crawford-hush-hush-sweet-charlotte-oscars

except Vanity Fair got the wrong Westmore. Monte died in 1940. He was survived by his son Monty.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Westmore

Monty had  Joan Crawford connection and was McKenzie Westmore's uncle

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Westmore

• Love 3
On 4/30/2017 at 10:18 PM, mlp said:

That's a riot.  I'd have recognized George and Cig even without the background.

And Lois! In fact, I'm starting to suspect that Lois is a cute little Lego  Figure IRL!

• Love 3

Not specifically Face Off, but makeup related - this is a very short featurette about Ewan MacGregor playing two characters on Fargo. The head hair and makeup artists talk about how they designed the two characters to look different from Ewan with prosthetics, wigs, shading, etc. I remember a few seasons ago, Face Off had a challenge where they had to do different makeup on identical twins, so this is similar. I wish they'd gone into more detail about the differences in Ewan's makeup. I thought you guys would appreciate seeing part of the design/application process used for non-monster/alien makeup.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, katalizt said:

Season 12 trailer released! Contestants will be grouped into two "effects shops" that will compete against each other. So basically, Face Off: Teams Edition. I'm having flashbacks to the Project Runway Teams season.... Hopefully this show can pull it off better.

Premieres June 13 at 9.

https://youtu.be/XCMdPQlTIxQ

Article:

https://www.tvinsider.com/226496/syfy-face-off-divide-and-conquer-trailer/

Wow, that's next week!!!  I'm curious how they'll handle the eliminations in a permanent teams setup; they've done teams and groups many times before, but not half the cast at a time.  How will the judges determine who deserves to go home each week, unless they watch the footage from the actual work days to see who the real weak link was?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, katalizt said:

Season 12 trailer released! Contestants will be grouped into two "effects shops" that will compete against each other. So basically, Face Off: Teams Edition. I'm having flashbacks to the Project Runway Teams season.... Hopefully this show can pull it off better.

I think so.  At the very least, if they don't have each team create more than three make ups per weeks, we may be in for some stunning makeups, since there would be more hands to do more things.  That is, if they manage to keep the atmosphere of healthy competition alive.  If we get bitches, saboteurs, the evil one, the lazy one, the overachiever, the petulant, and all the other character types typical of other reality show competitions, then, we might not get too many good makeups.

5 hours ago, hincandenza said:

Wow, that's next week!!!  I'm curious how they'll handle the eliminations in a permanent teams setup; they've done teams and groups many times before, but not half the cast at a time.  How will the judges determine who deserves to go home each week, unless they watch the footage from the actual work days to see who the real weak link was?

I think the Q&A with judges part of the episode might be extended a little bit, since they won't have so many makeups to show/explain per episode.  In the past, when they have done teams, the contestants have generally been very clear about who was responsible for what, and when asked about any particular aspect, most of them own up to their decisions, even when they turned out wrong.  So, if they keep the same quality of contestants (in terms of personalities, not artistic talent, I mean), then they won't need to look at footage.

I'm okay with teams but I dread the time when it will inevitably become unfairly unbalanced: one team having way too many more people because they have won more times than the other team.  That's when I fear that someone BTS will want the judges to pick that team as the losing team so that they can kick someone out from that team, so that the following week the competition is more balanced.

I'm hoping that they shuffle people instead, so that they can be more evenly matched, in terms of number of people in each team, for every challenge.

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 5:40 AM, WearyTraveler said:

I'm curious how they'll handle the eliminations in a permanent teams setup;

Let's hope against hope that we don't get the awkward "Who do you think should go home?" question.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Quilt Fairy said:

Let's hope against hope that we don't get the awkward "Who do you think should go home?" question.

From your keyboard to the producers' ears!   One of the things I love best about Face Off versus Project Runway is that the Face Off contestants aren't bitchy backstabbers and genuinely seem interested in helping their fellow competitors do well.  If the judges were to start manipulating the contestants into throwing each other under the bus during eliminations, it would be a completely different show, and I would be so so sad.  

• Love 2

I was reading an interview for Sammantha Ferris (a guest actress from Supernatural) who is appearing at a fundraiser horror convention in Williamsburg, VA called "Scares that Care"weekend.  On the guest list, about halfway down they have Tyler Green and Roy Wooley from previous seasons giving make-up workshops.  Here's a link:

http://scaresthatcareweekend.com/celebrity-guests/

I live in Virginia but I'm not sure whether I could get the time away to go.  

Syfy site

It's Face Off with an electrifying new twist. Face Off: Game Face will feature former Face Off all-stars as they go head-to-head each week, with multiple make-up reveals and eliminations throughout each exciting episode. Every week, four artists will race against the clock to complete three challenges, with eliminations after every round, but only one artist will walk away with the $10,000 prize.

Premieres August 22, 2017.

• Love 3