Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E02: Shut Up And Drive

Fuck Crash.

Fuck Scummy Dad.

But at least Scummy Dad serves a purpose on this show.  Crash is just a character every viewer seems to loathe, who only drags the show down.

I don't care if the Safety was actually on.  Fuck that notion.

• Love 8

Urg, it's clear the only reason they had this stupid Crash/Max forgiveness storyline is to give Carter a reason to get back together with him. Screw that. The actor is trying so hard and he's definitely charming, but he needs to go. His behaviour toward Max IS unacceptable and Max should have gotten a restraining order, or called the cops. 

Creepy Friend and Taylor better not have a thing. I know her and Max just broke up (and what was the purpose of getting them back together just to break them up again?!?) but still! Although, good for Creepy Friend to be supportive of Taylor/Max. But I still bet they do something stupid together.

Scummy Dad is scummy, but...I guess he's less scummy than I thought he would be with the truth. The question remains, though, if he's telling the whole truth.

Him and Elizabeth just need to separate. They're horrible for each other and sure, staying together might be good for their children but it's going to hurt them more than anything right now.

Scummy Dad is scummy, but...I guess he's less scummy than I thought he would be with the truth. The question remains, though, if he's telling the whole truth.

No way he is.

I wonder if Lori is either.  

The way it's been setup, we're supposed to be wondering if she's telling the truth about him wanting to leave Elizabeth (and take the kids) or if she's just piling either delusion or lies on top of the (apparently real) relationship between them.

At this point she still comes off as fucking nuts. As told, even her version of the story means she deliberately tracked down where her eggs went and then hooked up with the husband. 

What could still be hidden would be a step beyond--if he found her, the donor, instead of her finding him.

• Love 1

I feel like it's way too soon for Crash to be showing up. He's still way too clean cut for this bad boy always in trouble with the law type. Why the hell is Taylor breaking up with Max? It just seems so out of character especially right after they got back together. He needs support and understanding right now and she's being so judgmental. How did Carter and Bird reconcile their relationship? I thought they were still on the outs. That's all I got for right now.

• Love 1

Crash following Max around trying to talk him made me think of this scene from Buffy the Vampire Slayer between Willow & Oz after she got caught kissing Xander.

Willow:  Look at us, running into each other, as two people who go to
the same school are so likely to do now and then.

Oz:   Hey. (starts to leave)

Willow:  (stops him) Oz, wait. Please?

He stops and reluctantly gives her his attention.

Willow:  What I did... When I think that I hurt you...

Oz:  Yeah. You said all this stuff already.

Willow:  Right, but... I wanna make it up to you. I mean, if you let me,
I wanna try.

Oz:  Just... You can leave me alone. I need to figure things out.

Willow:  But maybe if we talk about it, we could...

Oz:  Look... I'm sorry this is hard for you. But I told you what I need.
So I can't help feeling like the reason you want to talk is so you can
feel better about yourself. That's not my problem.

Crash, you are not a good person, you will never be a good person. You're just trying to make yourself feel better, & if you have to hurt people to do it, you will. Fuck off.

What exactly does Taylor want from Max? Why is she being a bitch to him?

They let Max's hair loose & it's as pretty as ever.

I feel like there's a lot more to the story.

• Love 3

Is Gabe trying to step on Max's hair game? It's totally not going to work. You can never be Max. All of these kids look older to me this season. It's apparently been awhile since I've seen this show because they all look a little different.

I still hate the storylines involving Carter and her lame friends. None of them are necessary and they just take up the time I could be spending with Max and Grant. Even Max and Taylor are getting on my nerves. They so only put them back together so that he wouldn't be the bad guy in the breakup.

My money is on Gabe's father being the dude on the other end of the phone. His one little scene during the episode made my spidey senses tingle.

• Love 3
(edited)

OH MY GOD, FUCK OFF CRASH!!!!!  For fuck's sake, you don't get to harass someone into forgiving you! That isn't how this works.  You also don't get to dictate someone else's timeline for forgiveness.  Max isn't your confessional, he's your victim. You apologized and now up to him to decide if he wants to forgive you ON HIS OWN TERMS.  If he forgives you, that is great for both of you. But it's still his choice and ambushing him repeatedly is a fucked up strategy. 

Phew.... I needed to get that out.  Now some words for the Show.  Dear Show, I will not accept Crash.    I will not like him with an excuse.  I will not like him even with a noose.  I will not like his stupid ass. I will not like your worthless Crash.

For that matter, what kind of an excuse is "the safety malfunctioned" anyway?  Crash still tried to rob him at gun point and then left him to bleed out all over Carter. 

As for the rest, I hate what their doing to Max and Taylor.  Like many things on this show, the basis is grounded in fact, but the execution is bizarre.  It is totally realistic that a major and violent trauma would strain or even break up a relationship.  But there is something so weird about the pacing and tone of Taylor's responses in particular.  The words sort of make sense, that she's overwhelmed and just wants the emotional tilt-a-whirl to stop for a second, but the moments still feel weird.

And finally, tonight was the first time I ever actually believed David on any level.  Of course he's a lying liar who lies, so it's not at all unlikely that he's left out crucial details.  But there is a part of me that thinks that may have been the real story and that the differences in Lori's version are her delusion and/or shit stirring because she's still angry at both Elizabeth and David.  There would be a sort of dramatic justice if the one time David was being completely honest, his prior lies and his ultimate delay of coming clean until after Lori beat him to the punch (even if that wasn't his motivation) kept him from being believed that it was just once and he never really lead her on. 

Lori's version made it seem like a full on affair and that he called her on the night it started.  But David's story that she was in the bar the night of a particularly bad fight is equally plausible, especially since it seems she was all but stalking him to get close to the girls.  And, considering that she believes the girls are hers and that natural and moral laws were on her side, it's not so unlikely that she would have convinced herself that the girls' father was part of that natural law and then proceeded to invent aspects to their relationship that were not real like the relationship being more than it was and David promising to leave Elizabeth.

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 5

Remember last season when Crash was all alone and "had no one" and it's what endeared him to Carter? But now he has a magical fairy uncle who can apparently buy his way out of prison? Because I'm sorry. Who cares if the shooting was an accident? If Max had died, that would have been clear-cut felony murder. So he commits a felony (while on probation, no less) and then goes on the lam. Then gets caught and is released because of a gun manufacturer's error that has nothing to do with anything?? Ugh.

David's the worst. Way to enable your child's kidnapper by keeping your dirty secret. Elizabeth should give him the permanent boot. Supervised custody only.

• Love 3

Will all the episodes be named after Rihanna songs this season? I just realized today that all the season 1 episodes are movie titles.

I just noticed the next episode is called "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together."

So... good call. Not Rihanna always, but definitely song titles this season!

• Love 1
(edited)

I just noticed the next episode is called "We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together."

So... good call. Not Rihanna always, but definitely song titles this season!

Damn, I was hoping for 'Disturbia' next week! That Taylor Swift song seems a little light for a crumbling marriage.

Is Gabe trying to step on Max's hair game? It's totally not going to work. You can never be Max. All of these kids look older to me this season. It's apparently been awhile since I've seen this show because they all look a little different.

Gabe's hair was extra fluffy but Ofe's was a crunchy dry mess last week so I'll take any improvements. I thought all the teens looked strange this week. I don't know if it was bad lighting or makeup issues but everyone looked pale. Even Max's hair wasn't up to it's season one glory!

I've never liked Taylor so the breakup is fine by me. I secretly wish Max and Carter could get back together but this show has more than enough drama already.

Edited by crimsongrl
  • Love 1
(edited)

[slow clap for Rachel's "Green Eggs And Crash" rant b/c srsly]

4 reals.  And thanks.  Apparently I had some... feelings on the issue last night LOL.

Remember last season when Crash was all alone and "had no one" and it's what endeared him to Carter? But now he has a magical fairy uncle who can apparently buy his way out of prison? Because I'm sorry. Who cares if the shooting was an accident? If Max had died, that would have been clear-cut felony murder. So he commits a felony (while on probation, no less) and then goes on the lam. Then gets caught and is released because of a gun manufacturer's error that has nothing to do with anything?? Ugh.

I was thinking that too. The kid had a suspended sentence.  Having a fire arm AT ALL should have been a violation of his probation not to mention attempted armed robbery and whatever the hell they want to call assisting Carter with her running away.  Ratting out the seller of the gun shouldn't have gotten him off all of that.  Maybe they drop the stuff related to Carter running and maybe they plead his attempted armed robbery to assault with a deadly weapon.  But totally off and, what, back to his original suspended sentence?  Additional time on a suspended sentence he's already proven he will not follow?  OY.

I forgot to mention, poor Armadillo. Grant needs more screen time to get to react to all the BSC stuff in his family.  Not only does the family occasionally treat him like bystander, but the show does so too sometimes.  

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 2
(edited)

I actually think after life-altering news Taylor wants everything to just be simple. She doesn't want crazytown to be her "real" mom. So she's trying to go on as life as usual and act as if everything is the same. Even though just as Liz is overcompensating now that the girls know the truth, Taylor feels differently now that she knows the truth as well but she doesn't want to speak about it. So I think she was looking for some type of normalcy with Max. But that isn't working either, so obviously offie is going to be who she turns to. I really actually like Offie I hope he becomes what Max is to Carter to Taylor. I also hope they haven't dropped Bird's rape claim, I think secondary characters can be interesting if done correctly. 

I think the general census is everyone hates Crash. The writers keep trying to  go for that "Misunderstood" bad boy thing with Crash and it just doesn't work. I always had this thought that maybe Crash was the one that attacked Bird. But Idk I doubt it, as she seems to have a soft spot for him and I don't think the writers would have a girl continuously having contact with her rapist. I just want something to permanently get him off the show. I have nothing against the actor but the character is just not likable at all. And of course Carter is going to go running back into his open arms, her attraction to dumbass choices makes her annoying.

I actually thought it was obvious David was telling the truth. The cut between the two showed David's story to be more believable and in-character for crazy-town, whereas Crazytown's story was straight out of fatal attraction. Had she not purposely tracked down the family she gave her eggs to I would be more inclined to believe her story however given how nutty she is, I don't believe her.

Edited by Mrs.Reigns
  • Love 3

I think the general census is everyone hates Crash. The writers keep trying to  go for that "Misunderstood" bad boy thing with Crash and it just doesn't work. 

Is that really the case, though? I just worry because while clearly that's pervasive thought on discussion sites like this one (and its comparable ilk), I wonder about the primary demographic. MTV-watching teens on social media seem to think he's a very dreamy bad-boy which makes me fear he'll stick around.

He's not currently listed as a cast member in the next episode, but who knows. I don't think they'd have brought him back at all if they didn't have an arc planned.

Crash following Max around trying to talk him made me think of this scene from Buffy the Vampire Slayer between Willow & Oz after she got caught kissing Xander.

I dunno. There's a big difference in scale between kissing someone and robbing them and shooting them.  "Safety" or no safety.  Hurt feelings IMO are far more forgivable than nearly killing someone.

(edited)

Is that really the case, though? I just worry because while clearly that's pervasive thought on discussion sites like this one (and its comparable ilk), I wonder about the primary demographic. MTV-watching teens on social media seem to think he's a very dreamy bad-boy which makes me fear he'll stick around.

He's not currently listed as a cast member in the next episode, but who knows. I don't think they'd have brought him back at all if they didn't have an arc planned.

I'm not on twitter but I'm very active on Tumblr and at first during the beginning of last season people didn't like him, however they were kind of falling into the dreamy bad-boy trap. But I think the biggest mistake made was having him shoot the #1 dreamy lovable somewhat dopey fan favorite Max. Had he shot Gabe or Offie people wouldn't care. Hell Carter wouldn't care. But seeing as everyone is in love with Max that was a fatal flaw. People really don't like Crash. 

I do see a planned arc for Crash but I feel like from the previews of him sitting up Max that's just going to further have people hate Crash. Again he shot the fan favorite and even after that seems to be screwing up his life more. Fan girls are not going to be happy, and if the writers are trying to get people to like him or view him as someone who is just "misunderstood" even AFTER the shooting this is not going to help.

Edited by Mrs.Reigns
(edited)

I dunno. There's a big difference in scale between kissing someone and robbing them and shooting them.  "Safety" or no safety.  Hurt feelings IMO are far more forgivable than nearly killing someone.

Of course there is a difference between kissing someone who isn't your boyfriend and shooting a person and I don't think anyone is seriously pretending Willow and Crash are comparable on any real level.  But I get the point being made.  Crash, like Willow, was seeking absolution and forgiveness to make himself feel better without regard to Max's needs or wants, which is not only selfish but the exact opposite of what an apology is supposed be for, i.e. to make the injured party feel better.  

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 4

Phew.... I needed to get that out.  Now some words for the Show.  Dear Show, I will not accept Crash.    I will not like him with an excuse.  I will not like him even with a noose.  I will not like his stupid ass. I will not like your worthless Crash.

For that matter, what kind of an excuse is "the safety malfunctioned" anyway?  Crash still tried to rob him at gun point and then left him to bleed out all over Carter. 

There was also the implication of a lawsuit.  But that made no sense.  It's not like the threat of a private lawsuit against a gun maker would affect the criminal case at all.  The show tossed out at the same time some lame excuse about him turning in his drug supplier, so even THEY knew how weak this all sounds.

So lets say that somehow magically him being free is all due to turning in the supplier.  Firstly, if the supplier was a big enough fish to help sidestep armed robbery and assault charges, then why isn't Crash hidden away in witness protection somewhere?  Oh wait. This isn't SUPPOSED to make sense.

Then if the lawsuit is separate--lets just say some badly explained gambit with some newly appeared Uncle to use Crash as a cash cow... how the fuck does that work?  Wouldn't MAX be the logical recipient of that money, not Crash?  Or are we supposed to believe that Crash could sue the gun maker, get mega-bucks and then what?  Max is supposed to sue Crash in turn?  Remember just late last season there was the whole issue of how Max and his mother were even going to pay for his hospital bills.  Did that just evaporate?

• Love 1
(edited)

There was also the implication of a lawsuit.  But that made no sense.  It's not like the threat of a private lawsuit against a gun maker would affect the criminal case at all.  The show tossed out at the same time some lame excuse about him turning in his drug supplier, so even THEY knew how weak this all sounds.

So lets say that somehow magically him being free is all due to turning in the supplier.  Firstly, if the supplier was a big enough fish to help sidestep armed robbery and assault charges, then why isn't Crash hidden away in witness protection somewhere?  Oh wait. This isn't SUPPOSED to make sense.

Then if the lawsuit is separate--lets just say some badly explained gambit with some newly appeared Uncle to use Crash as a cash cow... how the fuck does that work?  Wouldn't MAX be the logical recipient of that money, not Crash?  Or are we supposed to believe that Crash could sue the gun maker, get mega-bucks and then what?  Max is supposed to sue Crash in turn?  Remember just late last season there was the whole issue of how Max and his mother were even going to pay for his hospital bills.  Did that just evaporate?

I'm now imagining the bullshit complaint on behalf of Crash for negligent infliction of emotional distress at being forced to accidentally shoot a friend of a friend and see him possibly dying when the gun Crash used in furtherance of an armed robbery accidentally went off despite Numbnutz McGehee having "engaged the safety."  

Edited by RachelKM
  • Love 4
(edited)

WTF was the point of having Max and Taylor get back together in the first episode of this season then have them "break up" in the next episode? We're only in episode 2! UGH!  And, shouldn't Milena Govich be billed as a series regular by now? She is big enough character to be....

P.S. I just saw that someone else above me commented about how fast Max + Taylor broke up for the 2nd time, but I just wanted to get it out of my head!

Edited by OrientalAmish
  • Love 1

I'm now imagining the bullshit complaint on behalf of Crash for negligent infliction of emotional distress at being forced to accidentally shoot a friend of a friend ans seem him possibly dying when the gun Crash used in furtherance of an armed robbery accidentally went off despite Numbnutz McGehee having "engaged the safety."  

Ha! I think you just made my day with this.

And, shouldn't Milena Govich be billed as a series regular by now? She is big enough character to be....

Her lack of series regular billing has kept me optimistic, but that's probably naive of me.

RachelKM got exactly what I was trying to say :-)

As told, even her version of the story means she deliberately tracked down where her eggs went and then hooked up with the husband.

This is what really confused me about Lori's version of things and makes me thing that she's even more of a crazy liar than I thought.

Then if the lawsuit is separate--lets just say some badly explained gambit with some newly appeared Uncle to use Crash as a cash cow... how the fuck does that work?  Wouldn't MAX be the logical recipient of that money, not Crash?  Or are we supposed to believe that Crash could sue the gun maker, get mega-bucks and then what?  Max is supposed to sue Crash in turn?  Remember just late last season there was the whole issue of how Max and his mother were even going to pay for his hospital bills.  Did that just evaporate?

Thank you! When Crash said that nonsense about the safety on the gun being broken and the lawsuit filed, I was like - WHY IN THE HELL WOULD CRASH BE GETTING MONEY FOR SHOOTING SOMEONE?!!! Max should totally get this settlement or whatever. I also totally don't get how Max is going to get himself involved with Crash and this drug shit or whatever crap is happening in the coming weeks. So frustrating.

• Love 3

This is what really confused me about Lori's version of things and makes me thing that she's even more of a crazy liar than I thought.

Thank you! When Crash said that nonsense about the safety on the gun being broken and the lawsuit filed, I was like - WHY IN THE HELL WOULD CRASH BE GETTING MONEY FOR SHOOTING SOMEONE?!!! Max should totally get this settlement or whatever. I also totally don't get how Max is going to get himself involved with Crash and this drug shit or whatever crap is happening in the coming weeks. So frustrating.

Okay, lets say in some fantasy world these showrunners had a clue what they were doing.

Here's how I'd do it.

Crash isn't really out of trouble.  Rather than actually having turned in his supplier, he's out on a deal to help trap the whole organization.  Even the bullshit lame explanations of how and why he's out and all the badly thought out stuff about the lawsuit could be explained here, because indeed it would be him lying and doing a bad job of it.

Now there are two ways to play this: totally selfish Crash and truly redemptive Crash.  

Truly redemptive Crash is following up this deal to trap the druglords, but Max embroils himself in this by accident.  

The braver story would be Crash truly being a selfish scumbag and him embroiling Max on purpose, so that it soils Max's reputation so Max wouldn't have a leg to stand on if he tried suing.  Maybe the mysterious Uncle, if he really does exist, suggested it.  Just imply that Max was always part of this drug life and the whole shot-in-a-convenience store business could be recast as a falling out between two shady characters rather than one shady character and an innocent. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I am so darn thankful that the Internet helps me realize that I am not the only adult who watches + have in-depth discussions over teen shows with other adults.... ;-)p

Edited by OrientalAmish
  • Love 9
Max had better bring his hair game hard because it may be the only thing keeping me watching this mess.

I did not realize how much I needed Alex Saxon's hair in my life until he took it down tonight. How can anyone break up with him when he has that hair? How?

I liked Max's speech about how he needed to forgive Crash or he was always going to be the victim. It occurred to me that Max's lines about this weren't what we typically heard from male characters. 

I'm not a huge fan of Gabe, but between hugging Grant when they discovered their parents' affair and punching Crash in the face, I am officially okay with him. 

I feel like Elizabeth's speech about how Carter, Taylor and Grant are her kids kind of implied Grant came from the egg donor too, but I can't guarantee that. And Elizabeth and Taylor looked so similar in that scene in the kitchen. That felt intentional.

Dear Crash actor: If you go somewhere else and play a good guy who doesn't shoot people, I promise to like your character. Okay? Please just leave. I only have room for one terrible human being on this show and Lori is much more interesting to me. And if you could take Bird with you, that'd be great. 

• Love 3
I feel like Elizabeth's speech about how Carter, Taylor and Grant are her kids kind of implied Grant came from the egg donor too, but I can't guarantee that.

Hell, I was just happy someone in that family remembered Grant exists. But that was the impression I got as well, that Grant might not be in every sense Elizabeth's child. Maybe that will be the next season. When His egg donor comes and kidnaps him....and no one notices until half way through the season lol

Max's hair really is beautiful.

Has the show forgotten Elizabeth was screwing her partner, and that Dad (I am totally blanking on his name and I'm pretty sure I just read it, crap) knew about it? It's just that all his talk this ep feels like he doesn't know she cheated on him. Or are they trying to show that he's really just such a good guy that he blames the affair or one night stand she doesn't even know about for her cheating? IDK, the whole thing just felt like he forgot about her infidelity.

I don't know which wackjob to believe about the affair. I don't think Dad is that much more sane than Lori and wouldn't be surprised if he was stringing her along with "I'll leave my wife for you". He wouldn't be the first cheating husband to say that and not follow through. The curious thing is, why did she wait two years to kidnap Carter. I think there's a lot more to come.

I agree that Carter's friends are useless and a waste of screen time. And WTF was that shit with Crash? Was the point to drive the wedge between Taylor and Max or are they seriously considering Carter taking him back? The fuck show?

(edited)

Crash and Max are both such badly written characters.  I like Carter and to a lesser extent Taylor.  I enjoy the family dynamic.  But watching Crash and Max scenes last night was painful.  Max and Taylor may have the least believable romance on all of tv.  No doubt they will be back together within a few episodes. 

Edited by dohe

I agree that Carter's friends are useless and a waste of screen time. And WTF was that shit with Crash? Was the point to drive the wedge between Taylor and Max or are they seriously considering Carter taking him back? The fuck show?

Despite the scumball move they had her take with letting Carter take the blame for stealing something and despite her totally stupid nickname, Bird has some minor fixup potential, albeit one they shouldn't have resolved quite as quickly as the show did.  The male friend who's name I can never remember, because he's kind of a non-entity, who's clearly into Taylor is probably worse.  I mean yeah he's got that character note of being secretly in love with Taylor, but otherwise it's hard to remember what scenes he's even BEEN in, he's so bland.

They really need some new teen characters if Max, Taylor and Carter, and if I'm being generous Bird, aren't enough. BlandBoy and Crash-hole can leave anytime.

How much time has passed between the shooting/kidnapping (that was within a couple of days of each other right?) and now in the series? gabe's hair grew 4" over night, all of the sudden tay and offie are school chums (they were INTRODUCED in the first couple of episodes of the first season... and now they've got coordinating class schedules) and the divide between taylor/max is so wide they need to "do their own thing". Oh and Bird is all the sudden the best-est bff bestie in the world even though she had Carter put in jail?

I'm frustrated with the show this season. Most especially because they've taken away any humor the younger brother had left.

I liked Max's speech about how he needed to forgive Crash or he was always going to be the victim. It occurred to me that Max's lines about this weren't what we typically heard from male characters.

Yeah, I was kind of surprised when I heard that. IRL, tho, forgiving a sociopath like Crash raises the odds that Max will be his victim again anyway.  I can understand not wanting to mentally grind on the shooting forever, and Max can't go all Emily Thorne on Crash because that doesn't always work out well, even for Emily, who actually has a degree in revenge from a school in Japan. But he can't afford to forget it ever happened either, because being a scorpion seems to be in Crash's nature. This week, anyway.

• Love 2

Will all the episodes be named after Rihanna songs this season? I just realized today that all the season 1 episodes are movie titles.

Well "Love the way you lie" Is Eniemen featuring Rihanna lol. And no it won't be Rihanna song titles all season. Episode 3 is named "We Are never ever ever getting back together" so next week is Taylor Swift