Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Today I flew to Sioux City, IA for a work trip and we crossed the river into the toe of South Dakota to have lunch there since it was a new state for me.  The nice kid at the sandwich shop was wearing an Alex Gordon KC Royals jersey so I asked which team was the favorite in the area and he said it's split between the Cubs, Twins, and Royals.  For some reason that combination surprised me.

• Love 5

I asked which team was the favorite in the area and he said it's split between the Cubs, Twins, and Royals.  For some reason that combination surprised me.

That's not really surprising. Iowa is blacked out of six MLB teams (Brewers, Cubs, White Sox, Twins, Royals & Cardinals) because the state is considered in market for all of those teams. Sioux City is basically equidistant from Minneapolis and Kansas City, so local news most likely reports on both of them. The Cubs have a larger following in general and have gained significant popularity recently. Their games are broadcast on more national networks and WGN affiliates air them in Iowa, so it makes sense to round out the trio. 

If you love baseball, don't move to Iowa because you won't ever be able to watch your favorite team again.

• Love 1

Satellite and cable companies only carry one regional sports network. If it's not the one for your team, you are screwed. I know tons of huge fans who can't get Twins games because their provider doesn't carry FS North. It's the same for fans of other teams. Extra Innings/MLB.tv blocks all games from those six teams. One of my friends is always super excited to go on business trips during the season because that's the only time he can watch games. Iowans scream and shout and MLB just shrugs. 

Edited by KAOS Agent
  • Love 1

For the life of me, I cannot understand the blackout rule.  They want people to be baseball fans, but they don’t want them to watch the games.  I would think you would want to give as many people as possible, as many ways as possible to follow their team.  But what the hell do I know?

• Love 4

Ideally, the blackout rule is so the local broadcasters that have the rights to the game have eyeballs on their channel instead of watching it on someone else's. Sucks when there's overlap and if the channel isn't available. 

Rangers-vs-Astros-fan-map.jpg

See this map of the Rangers and Astros territories? Guess which team's channel is more readily available on a cable network. Louisiana also counts as both teams territories and you usually can't either of their channels over in that state.

Flying home from a work trip yesterday and connected through DFW and our approach took us right over the Ballpark at Arlington and I was very surprised at how attractive it was from the outside, or at least how attractive it looked from a descending altitude.  That Dallas pointyball team stadium was in the same area but who cares.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, smittykins said:

Walk-off homers are fun, even in spring training. :)

*hearteyes*  Even if I was watching on the FOX Sports Now app, which has a delay, so the At Bat notification spoiled the ending for me.

I was watching a video clip of Max Scherzer striking out Tim Tebow and it made me realize that Tebow as a baseball star still irritates me, but I watched the Yankees game today specifically because I knew Russell Wilson was going to get an AB.  And I can’t figure out why I love Russell with the Yanks but roll my eyes at Tebow every chance I get.

• Love 2

I think Tebow trying baseball is kind of sad, personally...dude doesn’t know how to accept that a professional sports career just isn’t in the cards for him (unless he’s willing to go to the CFL or some such) and that he should go do something else with his life. It’s also a little disingenuous—he’d drop baseball on a heartbeat if the NFL called—so it’s hard to get excited about what is essentially a long media gimmick.

For me, the difference between Wilson and Tebow is that Wilson isn’t entertaining serious fantasies of being a MLB player. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, stealinghome said:

It’s also a little disingenuous—he’d drop baseball on a heartbeat if the NFL called—so it’s hard to get excited about what is essentially a long media gimmick.

I totally agree that this is a disingenuous media gimmick. He's spent his entire life having his athletic skills compared to others around him, so he can't be that oblivious to the talent gap between him and guys on the 40 man roster. He also knows he's on the wrong side of thirty and that no one gets better at sports after that age.

11 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Flying home from a work trip yesterday and connected through DFW and our approach took us right over the Ballpark at Arlington and I was very surprised at how attractive it was from the outside, or at least how attractive it looked from a descending altitude.  That Dallas pointyball team stadium was in the same area but who cares.

It’s a very good looking ballpark. Unfortunately, some dumbass decided to put it in the hot-as-fuck DFW area instead of somewhere else. An open-air field there is just a terrible idea. 

4 hours ago, mojoween said:

*hearteyes*  Even if I was watching on the FOX Sports Now app, which has a delay, so the At Bat notification spoiled the ending for me.

I turned off my At Bat notifications because it kept spoiling me if I was ever on any sort of delay. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, kariyaki said:

It’s a very good looking ballpark. Unfortunately, some dumbass decided to put it in the hot-as-fuck DFW area instead of somewhere else. An open-air field there is just a terrible idea. 

Houston got it right!

• Love 2
(edited)

I understand this is a spring training game, but these two chuckleheads calling the game on MLB Network could not sound more disinterested.

It was a home run!  By a starter against a starter!  Act like it’s exciting, for cod’s sack.

Ohhhhhh, I get it.  I had just tuned in when Hicks hit that dinger so didn’t know this was the NESN team.  Now it makes sense.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
On 3/2/2018 at 10:57 AM, MyAimIsTrue said:

pointyball

8 hours ago, mojoween said:

for cod’s sack.

Little gems like these are why I love this forum. [Throws kisses]

• Love 6
(edited)

This is a pretty interesting column by Joel Sherman of the NY Post  regarding 5 contending MLB teams and how they're window for winning could be getting smaller.

Next off season is going to be quite the eventful FA free for all.

https://nypost.com/2018/03/03/the-5-mlb-contenders-whose-windows-can-slam-fast/

For NY baseball fans, I found this other video that celebrates our local teams from back in the 50s through the current day. In the old days our local WPIX ch 11 wasthe NYY home network. Now it airs only about 55 or so games of both Yanks and Mets. This vid has lots of old footage that while mostly Yankees centric, has some good Mets moments. It's a fun way to gear up for the new season..a season where both teams have good things going for them.   

Edited by prican58
  • Love 2

The Giants announcers today were talking about how the schedule has been modified to give the players more rest.  The season is starting a week earlier and there will be more off days, as well as all games before an away day are going to be day games.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, smittykins said:

When Billy McKinney hit the grand slam to put the Yankees ahead of the Mets, I YOOHOOed so loudly, I’m pretty sure my next-door neighbors heard me. :)

Preseason or not, it's never to early to say the Yankees suck!

• Love 5

I finally got around to seeing Black Panther. I was reading through the credits waiting for the end scene and noticed, as one of the "Special Thanks To. . . " a Mark Teixeira!

I laughed.

Understandable. Mark Texeira was the artist on Black Panther at the start of its Marvel Knights run. I think he only did four issues, but they were quality stuff. The baseball player is Teixeira, which is spelled differently but does look a lot like "Texeira." And yes, I had to look up the names just now to find that out.

There is a little overlap between baseball and comics. You say "Adam Warren," I think of someone else entirely.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, bosawks said:

Arrieta to the Phils, they’re going to have an interesting year I think.

I do too. I think they are going to surprise people. I'm always optimistic about the Phillies , to the point i get teased by my family, but I think they had a good off-season  and picked up pieces that will help the young players.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Kenny Singleton has said this year will be his last.  

Noooooooo!

One of my favorite KS calls was when his kid played in some low-stakes spring training game, and he got to call his at-bat. You could hear him trying to be chill, and failing. 

I also love his utter willingness to go for any pun, any time. He used to love it when Enrique Wilson was playing 2nd base, because he got to deploy his 'let's watch Wilson pick it' Wilson Pickett joke.

• Love 3

Indians turned a rare triple play 5-5-4 yesterday against the Brewers with bases loaded.  Lots of good video interviewing the managers and players afterwards, but seemingly no video of the actual play.  Would have been cool to see!

• Love 1

One thing I love about KS (he grew up in Mount Vernon a neighboring town of the Bronx) is how he pronounced the names of the Latin players. I loved how he would say Posada's last name. It had just the right amount of accent and sounded so airy. I love the guy and remember when he started on the Mets before being traded to the Expos with Tim Foli.  He actuslly lives in the Baltimore area from what I understand.

• Love 3

I loooove Ken Singleton!!  Always known here as "Ken Singleton - such a nice guy!!"  Didn't get to listen to him call games, but I'll always have fond memories of his playing days here.  And nice to know he still lives around here.  Hope he's got fun stuff lined up for retirement!

• Love 3

I will miss Kenny S behind the mike very, very much.  I feel his excellence has always been under-appreciated.  He's conspicuously far better prepared for each of his games than the other "color" guys (cough, Paul O'Neill!, cough).  I also really appreciate his mature, avuncular style.  Plus the puns.

I just wish he had somehow found a better-looking rug, though.  He's so handsome, and the obvious rug diminished his dignified, older-gent beauty.

• Love 2

I can't think of any concession item from CitiField or Yankee Stadium that stands out.  Sounds like a fun time.

Ok. Just checked the menu. Not a big pastrami fan (Citi Field) and I am not sure of what Adobo Bao is (Yankee Stadium) I know what adobo is but not Bao. Other teams have more curious fare.

Adobo Bao...

Edited by prican58