Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

50 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

What happened to Cano?

After dogging it a couple of times over the weekend, he hit a ground ball to short and busted it down the line last night.  He pulled up about 3/4 of the way down to first with tightness in his quad.

Today, the Mets placed him on the 10-day injured list with a low-grade left quad strain.

Cano is a self-fulfilling prophecy. By not hustling in general, his quads are tight. He runs full blast for three seconds, he tweaks something. Then he returns and doesn't hustle "to not reinjure it", which turns into just not hustling, then he costs them a game not hustling, gets a talking to, hustles cold, rinse ,repeat.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Lantern7 said:

Could you elaborate?

My access is slow right now. What happened to Cano?

When Gleyber hit his second HR last night Gary called it for MASN in the defeated tones of a man who was just told that the bill to replace the roof is twice as much as he budgeted.

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, mojoween said:

When Gleyber hit his second HR last night Gary called it for MASN in the defeated tones of a man who was just told that the bill to replace the roof is twice as much as he budgeted.

I take it he's announcing O's games? Well, somebody has to, right? He'd better be getting pay well, especially after this play. I think "run back to first on a ground ball" could only work against the Orioles. And probably the Mets, because I pull for them.

I didn't hear Gary's call on ESPN this morning. I did hear John Sterling's call on the first homer, when he declared it to be "GLEYBER DAY!!!" I just want to punch him in the mouth. So fucking hackneyed. He probably had that ready since the guy joined the Yankees.

(edited)

Boomer Wells on the Yankees pregame!

He looks really good(I’ve read he’s diabetic now, so hopefully that’s inspired him to take better care of himself).

Edited by smittykins
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

The Giants have called up Carl Yazstremski's grandson, Mike, from AAA Sacramento.

Yeah, who’s been down in the minors for seven years. Doesn’t sound like he’s very good. 

(edited)
56 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Yeah, who’s been down in the minors for seven years. Doesn’t sound like he’s very good. 

My first reactions was when did he leave the Os system...where he'd been for a long time... 

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I hope more people knew that before he died.

4 titles in 15 years allow people to be more forgiving.

In happier news, my Twins are straight mashing. Even in their glory days, they never hit for power. If the pitching keeps up, it's going to be a fun summer.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, AimingforYoko said:

In happier news, my Twins are straight mashing. Even in their glory days, they never hit for power. If the pitching keeps up, it's going to be a fun summer.

It's been great! It reminds me of 1991 except the Twins are much better this year at the end of May than they were in '91.

On 5/27/2019 at 4:39 PM, AimingforYoko said:

Fuck Boston.  The first one was 18 years later.  Shouldn’t have taken them that long to forgive a guy who made an error in GAME SIX.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, mojoween said:

Fuck Boston.  The first one was 18 years later.  Shouldn’t have taken them that long to forgive a guy who made an error in GAME SIX.

There's a Boston based band called Slide, who have an album called "Forgiving Buckner".

On 5/24/2019 at 6:54 PM, mojoween said:

Oh for cod’s sack.  Apparently the Yankees are playing the part of Eeyore and bringing rain clouds with them to every city they go to.

Ok I’m just going to make this a macro.

• LOL 4

Is anyone able to get their at bat app to work through the echo dot?  We did that all last year, but just get an error message this year and don’t know why.

1 hour ago, smittykins said:

They also don’t carry channel 43 either(which the non-SNY Mets games are usually on—I wonder if they’re co-owned?).  At least I have the At Bat app.

ETA: They are.

Apparently they pulled it February 22, according to Syracuse.com.  That happened to us with Verizon on January 1st a couple of years ago and we went without FOX and My43 until the night before the Super Bowl, because the FOX office in Syracuse would have been overridden by angry NFL fans if we went without the SB.

It is SO ANNOYING because the station and the carrier are the pointing Spider-Man meme and the consumers are the ones who get fucked.

• Love 1
On 5/18/2019 at 6:36 PM, Crs97 said:

Listening to the Indians game.  Tom Hamilton is the best announcer ever.  He just loves the game and is so excited, even if the other team just made an amazing play against the tribe.  Indians pitcher just struck out the Orioles player with two men on to end the half inning.  Hami’s call:

“Swing and a miss!  Caught him with a slider!  Down slams the helmet! There goes the bat flip!  Snap goes the shin guards!  Off come the batting gloves.  I don’t think he’s happy.”

I don’t have to be there to see that and enjoy it.

I will never, never not love Hammy. His banter with Rosie (Jim Rosenhaus) and observations have always been a high point of my summers, maybe even more so this season because the Indians have been so disappointing. Personally, I think he should have his own statue in the ballpark along with Feller, Thome, Doby, etc. Hammy is a treasure.

• Love 2

You ever see a prospect come up that just blows you away? Astros have one they brought up a few days ago and he’s just tearing shit up. In today’s game he beat out a throw to first for a hit, stole 2nd three times and scored all three of those times after that. The stat cast has him running at 30+ feet per second. He’s so damn fast, I almost can’t believe I’m watching it. Myles Straw, you’re a speedy little devil.

• Love 1

Does anyone remember, was Clint Frazier always such a disaster in the field?  I was wondering if his concussion history could be affecting his fielding.  I don't remember EVER seeing someone play the outfield as badly as that.

5 hours ago, Harry24 said:

Does anyone remember, was Clint Frazier always such a disaster in the field?  I was wondering if his concussion history could be affecting his fielding.  I don't remember EVER seeing someone play the outfield as badly as that.

Doesn’t Frazier usually play left field? Sometimes people aren’t good at switching around.

• Love 1

I'm not confident in this, but I think he was an adequate but never great defender. Making a sweeping generalization, it's more common for "fine" defenders to have a harder time switching positions, even with OF where you might think it's more easily transferable. The shift could be enough to discombobulate him.

I hope it's not at all concussion-related because if he's showing any signs or symptoms he really shouldn't be playing at all and that's not something to screw around with. Not that atheletes don't downplay all the time to get themselves back on the field...but I hope that trend changes and people get more comfy with going directly to a dr without passng go.

• Love 1

I don't see how it would be concussion-related, that was last year. Maybe Frazier's just not that good. Kyle Schwarber from the Cubs is notoriously a subpar outfielder as well, but he stays in the lineup for the hitting.

I know that the analysts go on and on about The A's Ramon Laureano and his thunderarm but one thing I noticed in the Astros games this weekend is that A: he can't catch Myles Straw. B: he's only effective if he camps out under it and then throws -- he can't catch for shit on the fly.

10 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Doesn’t Frazier usually play left field? Sometimes people aren’t good at switching around.

Good point although he hasn't looked good there either.

5 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I hope it's not at all concussion-related because if he's showing any signs or symptoms he really shouldn't be playing at all and that's not something to screw around with. Not that atheletes don't downplay all the time to get themselves back on the field...but I hope that trend changes and people get more comfy with going directly to a dr without passng go.

5 hours ago, kariyaki said:

I don't see how it would be concussion-related, that was last year. Maybe Frazier's just not that good. Kyle Schwarber from the Cubs is notoriously a subpar outfielder as well, but he stays in the lineup for the hitting.

I've seen a fair amount of speculation on Yankees fan sites that it's related to the concussion, not in any physical way, but mentally - he is paying too much attention to the wall and other potential collision hazards and not enough to the ball. Which certainly seems plausible enough.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, wknt3 said:

I've seen a fair amount of speculation on Yankees fan sites that it's related to the concussion, not in any physical way, but mentally - he is paying too much attention to the wall and other potential collision hazards and not enough to the ball. Which certainly seems plausible enough.

Oh, you mean the yips. Yeah, the concussion could've made him paranoid about doing that again. He better start shaking that off, because that's a risk outfielders have. There are plenty of them that have bonked themselves into concussions and they still will run full barrell into the wall if they have to.