Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

Possibly I'm a little bit of an asshole criticizing the word choices of people experiencing grief, but I find it a bit tacky that I've heard multiple people interviewed describing their reaction to the news about Skaggs as "my heart stopped". One of them even said "literally" and I wanted to say to the TV "no, yours did not, but his did".

• Love 10
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

According to NBC News, he was found dead in his hotel room in Arlington this afternoon.  No signs of foul play according to the police, no other information available yet.  Tragic.

This reminds me of Darryl Kile. Tyler Skaggs was just married this past off-season. They didn't even get to their first anniversary. My heart and prayers go out to his wife, family, friends and the entire Angels organization.

• Love 4

The Rangers tribute was nice.  Too bad the stadium appeared to be nearly empty.

It appears that Adam Ottavino has also forgotten how to baseball.  A loss is coming plus the end of the HR streak!  I don’t understand why the Yanks and Sox got two days off to go to London, but only one day off to come home.  I get jet lag and time differences, but it seems like it would have been better for the clubs to be the other way around.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, mojoween said:

The Rangers tribute was nice.  Too bad the stadium appeared to be nearly empty.

Because it’s an outdoor stadium and it’s July. 

(edited)

Huh. Mets rally again in the eighth, and Diaz doesn't shit the bed. . . only this time, he gets the save. Yeah, there was an infield hit and a stolen base that held up under review, but Mets fans can be happy their team at least forces a Subway Series tie. In other news, here are the headlines I found when I got the Daily News yesterday.

image.png.e9b75f73356078c4aaf20e966c19eac5.png 

image.thumb.png.315d369b0552e3e394168aa8c48cac39.png

Edited by Lantern7
5 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Because it’s an outdoor stadium and it’s July. 

Oof. That seems like a flaw in design?  I don’t know the ins and outs of negotiations in Texas, but I wonder if an indoor stadium was ever in discussion.

(edited)

The Rangers are building a new stadium that will open in 2020.  This one will have a retractable roof, similar to Minute Maid Park in Houston. 

In Houston, they play most summer games with the roof closed because it is just too hot and humid, even on clear days.  They are able to play with the roof open sometimes in the spring and fall.

Edited by nittanycougar
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

Oof. That seems like a flaw in design?  I don’t know the ins and outs of negotiations in Texas, but I wonder if an indoor stadium was ever in discussion.

I honestly don't know what the hell the Rangers were thinking when they built that park. It's a really nice ballpark but it's a design for a more northern locale. It should've had a roof. The new one has a roof, that should help attendance.

• Love 1
(edited)

Good for them on the new park, they seem to have learned from their mistakes.  I’ve never been to Texas, but my cousin has lived there for thirty some-odd years, and the things she tells me weather-wise make me glad my ass is parked firmly in Syracuse.

I was listening to the Yankee pregame in the car last night, and as soon as John Sterling spoke I was concerned for his health.  While I am sad for him that his very impressive steak is coming to an end, it seems a very good idea for an 81 year old who just went back and forth to London to get some rest.  I hope he is able to recuperate and come back strong.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

Good for them on the new park, they seem to have learned from their mistakes.  I’ve never been to Texas, but my cousin has lived there for thirty some-odd years, and the things she tells me weather-wise make me glad my ass is parked firmly in Syracuse.

What, you don’t want to go see the Yankees play the Rangers in September? It’ll be great, you get to sit in a puddle of your own sweat. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Only place where you can eat all you want at the ballpark and still lose weight.

I grew up in the Houston area, and MrCRS in the Dallas area.  We now live up north.  Whenever someone complains about the winters we chuckle.  No matter how bad the blizzard, it’s better than Texas in August.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
(edited)
8 hours ago, mojoween said:

I was listening to the Yankee pregame in the car last night, and as soon as John Sterling spoke I was concerned for his health.  While I am sad for him that his very impressive steak is coming to an end, it seems a very good idea for an 81 year old who just went back and forth to London to get some rest.  I hope he is able to recuperate and come back strong.

I still can’t believe he’s 81.  I’d put him at mid-60s, max.

ETA:  And now Michael Kay will have vocal cord surgery and miss a month.

Edited by smittykins
  • Love 1
(edited)

I’m watching the Yankees game on ESPN with the sound off. Does anyone know who the third guy is in the booth with Boog and David Ross?

Watching on apps is fun.  If I am using FOX Sports Go, it’s hit or miss if the notification comes in before I see the score on screen.  But watching ESPN on the Verizon app, I get an At Bat/FOX Sports notification TWO PITCHES before the score.  Verizon apparently has a mad delay.

It also changes how I watch the game, because now I anticipate the notification and get disappointed when I don’t get one when the Yankees are at bat. I’m weird.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

Yeah, I don't know how people can tolerate that kind of weather. I went to New Orleans for a work conference last week and even though I like the city, the humidity and heat made me absolutely beyond miserable, and as soon as I returned to the bay area, I wanted to yell 'hallelujah!'. Also I thought, "okay, it just might be worth paying the ridiculously high rent I pay every month to live in this dry climate". 

I think I wouldn't be able to attend baseball games in ballparks like the Rangers, so it's a good thing I'm a Giants fan. When it hits the mid-70s at our home games, that feels *super toasty*, and night games almost always require warm layers. I went to a Giants/Phillies game in Philly a couple years ago and packed a hoodie for the night game, "just in case". Nope, didn't even need it. It was still high 70s at 10pm and I wished I'd worn shorts. 🤣

• Love 2
48 minutes ago, mojoween said:

@kariyaki 😊 

Oh, Nolan and JR Richards. That picture doesn't even cover the badassery of the pants!

Richard and Ryan_Getty Rich Pill

As for the weather out here. I guess you get used to it? Honestly, we just stay inside with the air conditioning as much as we can.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

We got to the park yesterday early for fireworks (I'm super particular about where we sit and am terrified someone will steal our spot) and sat for three hours in 90 degrees with blazing sun.  There is no way I could do that on the regular, not even for the Yankees.

I admire the hardiness of people who have season tickets.

• Love 1

That's why my seats are always in the shade.  And why I appreciate the fact that all (or most anyway) ballparks face the same directions - I always know what seats are in the shade even if I haven't been there yet. 

• Love 3

I’m watching the 2017 Home Run Derby (an excellent appetizer for the game at 5) and Aaron Judge was at the ESPN desk on the field and I just noticed that at one point behind him Clayton Kershaw was playing peek-a-boo with what I am presuming is his daughter.  It was adorable.

Stars...they’re just like us!

Also, I enjoy having Giancarlo on the team now, but at that time watching Gary mow him down was awesome.  Sorry Miami.

• Love 1
(edited)

“Checking on the Mets game . . . they’re down 6-2 in the ninth? I thought they were tied.”

[rewind]

”Oh, they gave up runs in the ninth. Was the game tied going into the ninth?”

[rewind]

”Yep. And Diaz was brought in to keep in close. I’d think the fans would have stormed the field, but they’re waaaaaaaaay too tired of that bullshit to move. Or at least pour Pepto down his throat. Because he keeps shitting the bed.”

ETA: Phillies up, 7-2, and Familia is on the mound. Thank you, SNY, for the shots of fans with forlorn looks!

Edited by Lantern7
19 hours ago, mojoween said:

I love that MLB is doing this.  Very reminiscent of what Adam Silver did for Dirk Nowitzki and Dewayne Wade in the NBA.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com/2019/07/05/mlb-will-honor-cc-sabathia-at-all-star-weekend-in-cleveland/amp/

That is indeed a classy move, and even more poignant that it will happen in the city where he spent the first decade or so of his illustrious career. He's earned it, that's for sure.

• Love 2

Thing I just learned:  Dbacks outfielder Tim Locastro is from Auburn(NY).  The next-most recent major leaguer from Auburn, Kevin Polcovich, is my late husband’s second cousin.

• Love 1
On 7/3/2019 at 7:15 AM, kariyaki said:

I honestly don't know what the hell the Rangers were thinking when they built that park. It's a really nice ballpark but it's a design for a more northern locale. It should've had a roof. The new one has a roof, that should help attendance.

Even though I haven't heard it said, I think the fact that two fans fell considerable distances - one to his death - makes the Rangers even more anxious to say goodbye to the park (which opened the same year as Jacobs Field).

(edited)

Annoying thing about the Mets: last week, they dedicated a street to Tom Seaver, with the promise of a statue. One of the speakers was Cardinal Dolan. Apparently, it didn't occur to anyone in the organization to have him bless Citi Field, or at least do something to negate the bad luck that plagues this team. This wouldn't be about playing favorites over the Yankees. If their sluggers keep rotating places on the injured list? Screw it . . . send a team to Yankee Stadium.

If Edwin Perez was on any other team, he would not be in as dire need of adult diapers as he seems to be with the Mets.

Edited by Lantern7

The arrested happened on Memorial Day and he was put on administrative leave right away and hasnt played a game since before the  arrest.

The Phillies have taken down all signs and banners of him in and around the stadium.

The general fan census is that they would rather he never play another game in a Phillies uniform. 

• Love 3
Just now, shoregirl said:

The arrested happened on Memorial Day and he was put on administrative leave right away and hasnt played a game since before the  arrest.

The Phillies have taken down all signs and banners of him in and around the stadium.

The general fan census is that they would rather he never play another game in a Phillies uniform. 

GOOD!! Nice to see that there are still sports organizations with a backbone.

• Love 3
(edited)

Looks like Jake Arietta has made Mets fans’ all-time shit list. He hit two Mets, didn’t get toseed, and one of them got run out for yelling about that. Good thing he just left . . . Mickey might have tried to strangle him for the fans.

ETA: . . . and, apparently, THIS happen last night. 🤦‍♂️ 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Edited by Lantern7
(edited)

I didn’t see Perez preserve the win, which was probably for the best. Honestly, Arietta hits three Mets (two in one inning), and he doesn’t get tossed. Epic bullshit right there.

ETA: Diaz, yes. Thanks, @theatremouse

Edited by Lantern7
10 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Annoying thing about the Mets: last week, they dedicated a street to Tom Seaver, with the promise of a statue. One of the speakers was Cardinal Dolan. Apparently, it didn't occur to anyone in the organization to have him bless Citi Field, or at least do something to negate the bad luck that plagues this team. This wouldn't be about playing favorites over the Yankees. If their sluggers keep rotating places on the injured list? Screw it . . . send a team to Yankee Stadium.

If Edwin Perez was on any other team, he would not be in as dire need of adult diapers as he seems to be with the Mets.

As awful as this is, I just had to laugh (and shake my head) when I read this. Talk about being asleep at the switch!!

https://www.nj.com/sports/2019/07/mets-mess-up-again-botch-50th-anniversary-celebration-of-1969-world-series.html

3 hours ago, shoregirl said:

That's terrible news about Carlos Carrasco. I hope he can pitch as soon as he feels up to it. 

From a Clevelander and a Tribe fan...thank you. Our announcers on Fox Sports Ohio said that Cookie will have a press conference on Thursday, the day before the baseball season starts up again after the All-Star break. He wants to pitch again this season...God bless him!!! 

• Love 3
Just now, xaxat said:

I saw that on MLBTV live, and it was scary. Lucroy was desperately trying to get up when it was clear that he shouldn't.

I know some old school types miss home plate collisions, but I certainly don't.

I don't, either. I held my breath when he struggled to get up while the trainers were tending to him. What a horrible week it has been for the Angels.

• Love 2
On 7/6/2019 at 7:02 PM, smittykins said:

And Boone keeps Sabathia in too long...😟

Yes buuuuuuut....over the two losses this weekend the Yankees left 9,348 runners in scoring position.  

Also if you have Chad Green and Zack Britton warming up why are you sending in Chad Green.  

• Love 1