Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

On 7/3/2019 at 8:42 PM, mojoween said:

Watching on apps is fun.  If I am using FOX Sports Go, it’s hit or miss if the notification comes in before I see the score on screen.  But watching ESPN on the Verizon app, I get an At Bat/FOX Sports notification TWO PITCHES before the score.  Verizon apparently has a mad delay.

Sometimes I watch a game while on the phone with my sister, who lives in a different state. So obvs we have different tv-providers. Usually, my feed is a few seconds before hers. So I get excited for plays she hasn't seen yet. And then I laugh. "I'm watching from the future!"

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
(edited)

That happened when I had Spectrum.  Sometimes I’d listen to the At Bat app while watching(with the sound on the TV muted), and it was weird hearing John Sterling yell “Struck him out swinging!” before the guy on the screen had even swung. 

Edited by smittykins
(edited)

I wasn't going to watch the ASG this year bc honestly I spend too much time on my butt watching sports but as soon as they post the lineups I'm sucked in. 

Disappointed Yelich is not in the HRD, simply bc I think he adds a lot to the competition but glad he seems to be playing tomorrow.

I would say who I'm rooting for, but they would inevitably lose. Bc I'm a jinx.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 3
19 hours ago, catlover79 said:

I don't, either. I held my breath when he struggled to get up while the trainers were tending to him. What a horrible week it has been for the Angels.

I was sickened by the play and hoping for the best for Lucroy.  Loved him when he was with the Brewers.  I know "purists" will say that's a baseball play, that's what the player is supposed to do, but Lucroy was out of the basepath and it looked the guy deliberately went at him with his forearm to Lucroy's head, instead of trying to slide under the tag. 

The Angels and Astros play again next week.   I'm sure the Angels pitching staff will circle Marisick's name on the lineup card.  

• Love 3

Anyone else wondering if the falling anvil will hit Pete Alonso tomorrow night? Or tonight? #OnlyTheMets

24 minutes ago, Calvada said:

The Angels and Astros play again next week.   I'm sure the Angels pitching staff will circle Marisick's name on the lineup card.  

On a parallel note, the Mets and Phillies will meet again on August 30-September 1 and September 6-8. Jake Arrietta had better still be recovering from bone spurs if he doesn't want to chug on some dirt.

(edited)

Last night, Reds prospect Taylor TramMELL put on a show at the futures all star game. 

However, I doubt I will ever pronounce his name right because I remember watching Alan TRAMmell.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 6

I will preemptively state get offa my lawn because I haaaaaaaaate the DJ on the field during the Derby.

The mics are super loud and it’s drowning out the sound of the ball on the bat plus it’s distracting me from listening to Rave and Tex.

Just.  Quiet down.  Shhhhh.

• Love 3

I am not enjoying the derby format in terms of the TV directing. There's too much text on the screen. I get the pace thing and the bonus time for super long HRs thing, but it's weird the bonus time is separate and not just added to the clock. So it's anticlimactic when it goes to zero. And the score of the current batter is in a different place than the score of the opponent in relationship to the names on screen. It's confusing to the eye. Parts that seem to be relevant are blanked out with logos two seconds later. This is a mess visually.

And it's a weird system to look at after the fact? You'd think the total number of home runs should, even if it doesn't matter, be recorded, but Alonso just had to beat the guy before him so even though he earned the 30 second bonus, he didn't need to use it because his score was better than his opponent and Alonso went second. So, compared to the other bracket his early round score looks tiny, but he could've gone 30 seconds longer and hit more and just didn't need to.

I imagine this would be much more fun if I were in the stadium. I briefly considered going the year the ASG was here and then I looked at the ticket prices and promptly lost interest.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Anyone else wondering if the falling anvil will hit Pete Alonso tomorrow night? Or tonight? #OnlyTheMets

On a parallel note, the Mets and Phillies will meet again on August 30-September 1 and September 6-8. Jake Arrietta had better still be recovering from bone spurs if he doesn't want to chug on some dirt.

Well, he did it!! Congrats to the Mets fans.

• Love 4
(edited)
53 minutes ago, theatremouse said:

I am not enjoying the derby format in terms of the TV directing. There's too much text on the screen. I get the pace thing and the bonus time for super long HRs thing, but it's weird the bonus time is separate and not just added to the clock. So it's anticlimactic when it goes to zero. And the score of the current batter is in a different place than the score of the opponent in relationship to the names on screen. It's confusing to the eye. Parts that seem to be relevant are blanked out with logos two seconds later. This is a mess visually.

And it's a weird system to look at after the fact? You'd think the total number of home runs should, even if it doesn't matter, be recorded, but Alonso just had to beat the guy before him so even though he earned the 30 second bonus, he didn't need to use it because his score was better than his opponent and Alonso went second. So, compared to the other bracket his early round score looks tiny, but he could've gone 30 seconds longer and hit more and just didn't need to.

I imagine this would be much more fun if I were in the stadium. I briefly considered going the year the ASG was here and then I looked at the ticket prices and promptly lost interest.

I agree, the screen is just too busy.  They also didn't do such a great job explaining the format.  Alonso, by not needing to use his 30 second bonus, ends up going into the final round with a lot more rest than Guerrero whether that's going to matter or not.  If I was Jays management, I'd be a little worried about Guerrero getting hurt after that exhausting performance.

I didn't go this year, but did attend in Cleveland back in 1997 and the Home Run Derby was a lot of fun even with a lot fewer dingers.  They did play annoying music throughout though, just as they're doing tonight and it detracted from the experience, IMO.  I just wanted to see them hit.  I like rock as much as the next person, but not at the Home Run Derby.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 4

*sigh* See, this is why I can't consider myself a "real" Mets fan. I have little idea about Pete Alonso. All I know is that his nickname is "Polar Bear" (from Todd Frazier, because I don't know) and he's broken Daryl Strawberry's team rookie HR record. With the pitching phenoms hitting their 30s, this guy is probably the future of the New York Mets. And that should keep him up at night, because that team is unlucky and chaotic AF.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Calvada said:

I was sickened by the play and hoping for the best for Lucroy.  Loved him when he was with the Brewers.  I know "purists" will say that's a baseball play, that's what the player is supposed to do, but Lucroy was out of the basepath and it looked the guy deliberately went at him with his forearm to Lucroy's head, instead of trying to slide under the tag. 

This time, it will be a home series for the Angels. They are already raw and grieving. Who knows what will happen?

The journey to the HR Derby finale was super fun.  The outcome was a letdown.

Vladdy is going to regret all 90 of those monster hacks.  Let Aaron Judge be your guide, kids!

• Love 5
15 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

*sigh* See, this is why I can't consider myself a "real" Mets fan. I have little idea about Pete Alonso. All I know is that his nickname is "Polar Bear"

I've been a Met fan since I attended my first game, June 1969, with my Dad, and I never knew his nickname was "Polar Bear" so don't don't worry too much.  He's a rookie, has only spend half a season with the big club, so there's still time to learn about him. I didn't know he was taking part of the HRD until yesterday, and had no idea he had a legitimate chance of winning it.

• Love 3

I was disappointed that Carlos Santana only lasted the first round of the HRD, but because he was in front of the home crowd he could have been pressing too much. I agree with the rest of you about the format. The whole thing went on for well over three hours. If MLB cut it down to an hour or so, there is so much less risk of these players wearing themselves out or potentially injuring themselves. 

In short, there has to be a better way to do this. But it was still nice to see the enthusiasm of these guys, who looked thrilled to be competing. 

• Love 3
46 minutes ago, Moose135 said:

I've been a Met fan since I attended my first game, June 1969, with my Dad . . ., 

So you're probably wondering how Polar Bear is gonna get hurt or worse in the near future. I think only two players had been seriously hurt in All-Star Games: Dizzy Dean and Ray Fosse. He plays first . . . maybe he gets spiked tonight?

And dang, you came in at the right time. I started going to games in 1983. In retrospect, that was a good era to root for the Mets, given that the Yankees would have their longest title drought since they acquired Babe Ruth (18 years; 1978-1996).

• Love 2

Buster Olney said the Red Sox are just EXHAUSTED from the trip to London so you probably won’t see Mookie Betts at all and most likely not Xander Boegarts.

Um.

Ok.

Soooooo...Gary Sanchez.  DJ Lamahieu.  Are starting.  Did they not fly the same flight path?  Did they have some super secret jet stream that caused them to feel less fatigue?

Shut up Buster.  And I don’t feel good saying that so shut up some more for making me feel bad.

• Love 3

Was Clayton Kershaw a late entry into the ASG? Every other player has a 45 patch on their jersey but him.

Also this split screen of the people on the screen playing rock music snippets vs. the player introductions is annoying.  God I am such a pissy crumpet sometimes.

• Love 1
(edited)

I gather Yelich is not playing? I was looking forward to seeing him. 

ETA never mind. I forgot the starters come in last. I was like where are all the players lol.

Edited by cleo
  • Love 1
(edited)

At first I thought Aroldis Chapman was lustily booed because Yankees and also wife beater but then I remembered it was probably the two inning save in the WS.

Edited by mojoween
57 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Was Clayton Kershaw a late entry into the ASG? Every other player has a 45 patch on their jersey but him.

Also this split screen of the people on the screen playing rock music snippets vs. the player introductions is annoying.  God I am such a pissy crumpet sometimes.

Bellinger doesn't either.

(edited)
17 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

Isn't the 45 patch for Tyler Skaggs? Guess the Dodgers didn't want to participate with that.

Bregman doesn't either.  But then I don't think the last pitcher from the Twins did either.

Edited by jennifer6973
(edited)

Yep I see that now with the Astros outfield that the RF doesn’t have the patch.  

It’s not an Angels thing, guys.  It’s a human thing.  Sheesh.

Also the Dbacks unis are bad and why are they all wearing their team unis anyways?  When the ASG was in Miami they wore American/National jerseys, did they not?  I know that they did in the HR Derby at least.

I love hearing DJ called a giant second baseman.  I normally don’t notice when he’s standing next to Judge, heh.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 2

Bellinger at least had 45 on his jersey now at his second at bat. I didn't notice before but if it wasn't there before maybe it was a mixup with the jersey that was corrected.

(edited)

Anyone know why the got rid of the All Star Game specific uniforms?

Most of them were awful, but that was part of the fun.

ETA That moment with Carasco and his team mates was really powerful.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I swear the guys watching the HR Derby last night were wearing them but the participants were not.

I could also be hallucinating all of this.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, mojoween said:

I swear the guys watching the HR Derby last night were wearing them but the participants were not.

I could also be hallucinating all of this.

No, you're correct. The players observing were wearing them. The participants were wearing their regular jerseys.

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, xaxat said:

They don't wear them when participating in the actual activities (HR Derby, the game). I don't remember if they ever have, to be honest.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

They don't wear them when participating in the actual activities (HR Derby, the game). I don't remember if they ever have, to be honest.

Thanks. Shows how much attention I pay to the game.

• Love 1

I know they did in 2017 for the Derby.

5aa145ab74758f2bf3000005.jpg

The National ones were orange, I believe which I thought was a nice call to Miami.

2 minutes ago, catlover79 said:

Ok so I like that the team logo is on the chest but is that a ... vest?

• Love 1

Yeah, I was just about to ask what the deal was with this year's uniforms being sleeveless. If they're not going to totally embrace the lack of sleeves and ditch the undershirts too, then what's the point?

I like how the Reds did it.

• Love 1