Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

I don’t understand why you would put turf if you have a roof that opens? Arizona I get, it’s a desert, not going to get a lot of rain but why not put in a dome, it would’ve been cheaper.

Then you have the Rangers with their fancy new stadium with the retractable roof that’s hardly ever open because it’s hot AF, an area that gets plenty of rain, and they put in turf. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, sagittarius sue said:

I look away when he's on screen so I don't have to see his smirking face.

I was on the phone with my dad, filling him in on the brawl and Dusty's ejection when Altuve hit the HR -- I forgot momentarily that I was talking to my father and spewed some of my best profanity-laden phrases. I HATE that guy. Fortunately he knows I'm salty so no big deal. Also had choice words for Verlander and his smarmy-happy celebrating ass. 

That AZ/PHI game was terrific and fun to watch. Looking forward to tonight's matchup.

Edited by janeyjay
Double post OOPS
  • Like 4

They talked about the ugly turf - it has coconut shavings in it.  I'm not sure why, but it does.  They said the stadium tried real grass for a while, but since the roof was never open, it died.  I don't understand why they couldn't open the roof during the day so some sun could get in, then close it a couple hours before game time to cool the building down.  But then, I don't understand a lot of things.  

The field is still ugly. 

• Like 2

Not that there are many retractable roof stadiums that actually have real grass (just three that I can think of: TMobile, Minute Maid and whatever the new name of Milwaukee’s stadium is that I always forget), but that’s what I understand they do. Leave the roof open so it can get sun. If it rains, great, otherwise the sprinkler system feeds it. 

I don't think I have zero interest in watching Houston win tonight, but if I could guess the future and/or look into it?  All I can say is that I'm glad there's a decent SNF game on tonight as an alternative.

To explain, I have less than zero interest in seeing Game Six concluding with ball 4 being called off of a pitch in the strike zone after the count gets to 3-2 for the 27th batter for Houston, in the bottom of the ninth inning (with Texas leading 1-0) after Nathan Eovaldi retires each of the first 26 Astros.  Three minutes after Bochy argues prior to getting tossed, Altuve hits a ball 450+ feet and not in the foul zone.

Yeah, if I can look into the future and that's the outcome that I witness, then I'll know not to turn on FS1 tonight

I think they are.  It does help that Harper is in better help & can contribute more this season.  Furthermore, they'd actually have homefield against Houston if they win either one of their final 2 games scheduled in the league.

That is crazy when you don't think it through; Texas would actually host Philadelphia if they somehow recover

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, mojoween said:

Since I only pay attention to one team during the regular season and everyone else when the calendar turns to October, am I correct in feeling that this Phillies team is better than the 2022 Phils?

Yes. Their bullpen is probably better (especially when Kimbrel is not sucking) Stott and Turner at 2nd and short is a upgrade on Stott and Segura.  Harper playing first has allowed them to keep Schwarber as the DH. Marsh and Rojas are both plus defenders, especially Rojas whose not hitting but is great defensively. Castellanos is having much better post season. Marsh and Stott have improved offensively. Bohm has gotten much better defensively.

That being said games 3 and 4 were terrible and I have taken up stress crocheting to get me through how ever many more games they have left. (also if someone kidnaps Kimbrel so Rob Thompson can't put him in high leverage situations it definitely was not me 😂)

• Like 4

The Rangers blew a 2-0 lead, managed to draw even going into Game 7 . . . and they're bringing in Max Scherzer. Cut to every Mets fan mouthing "NO" while making various "don't do that!" arm gestures. The guy has too much bad karma attached to him.

• Like 5
18 minutes ago, Jane Tuesday said:

Commentators saying the Astros are "completely clear of the sign stealing scandal" while Altuve of all people is at the plate is an interesting take.

Fuck that. 

That reminds me I've been meaning to watch that Frontline episode from earlier this month, "The Astros Edge."  I only caught a couple minutes, but the coverage seemed critical of the fact that nothing happened to the players involved.   https://www.thirteen.org/programs/frontline/the-astros-edge-ky4pfl/

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

Congratulations to the AL Champion Texas Rangers! The nation, outside of East Texas, thanks you. 😊 

Not sure if you had a character limit there, ProudMary.  I think you left out the viewers around the globe thanked the new AL Champions for 2023!

• Like 4
  • Fire 2
  • Applause 4

I keep my mouth shut during the regular series and into the playoffs because I'm some kind of jinx, but LFG Rangers! I'm in Dallas and I can hear celebrating all over my neighborhood, even in the rain.

• Like 4
  • Love 2
10 minutes ago, Mean Machine said:

I wonder if Mattress Mack will be raising prices soon.

I much rather he get bent, get lost, & stay lost. 

I'm certain that we won't hear from him during the World Series. I don't even know who he's going to root for now. 

Edited by Magog

“DIAMONDBACKS! RANGERS! Fifty-plus guys you’ve never known or cared about, and they’re here instead of the popular 100-win clubs!!!”

Good luck to Fox trying to sell this World Series. 😈😈😈

• Like 3
  • LOL 7
3 minutes ago, Lantern7 said:

“DIAMONDBACKS! RANGERS! Fifty-plus guys you’ve never known or cared about, and they’re here instead of the popular 100-win clubs!!!”

Good luck to Fox trying to sell this World Series. 😈😈😈

Texas wins.  To be honest, there's no reason to have this year's World Series take place, period.  Other than money, no need for it.  It's a Rangers series win.  Anything else is just silly.

Man, I think I definitely will miss Chris Mad Dog Russo.

BTW, had Philly not barfed like a champ, they ended up losing homefield.  The only bad thing about Houston losing.  Unless you love the Longhorn State

Just now, Carey said:

Texas wins.  To be honest, there's no reason to have this year's World Series take place, period.  Other than money, no need for it.  It's a Rangers series win.  Anything else is just silly.

Man, I think I definitely will miss Chris Mad Dog Russo.

BTW, had Philly not barfed like a champ, they ended up losing homefield.  The only bad thing about Houston losing.  Unless you love the Longhorn State

Texas had home field regardless of the NL winner.

• Useful 1
4 minutes ago, Salacious Kitty said:

Texas had home field regardless of the NL winner.

Oh I knew that.

It was crazy FWIW.  Houston had homefield against Texas, who would've had homefield against Philadelphia, who would've had homefield against Houston, who would have had...

Though it really didn't matter this series.  Or in the LCS.  Not sure what happened to Philly.  Looked like Arizona advanced for nothing, but then whatever happened was dusted off.

I think [if the fall classic takes place] that Texas wins every game that's played until they clinch the title.  As mentioned, it was imperative for Houston to win one for Dusty since Bochy was experienced to where his AL entry would be the thing that hindered Houston from winning all the damn time.  Looked great, then it looked dire, before they showed Planet Earth that they are for real.

TBH, 2024 shows up.  Texas will not be done yet

On 10/24/2023 at 12:12 AM, emma675 said:

I keep my mouth shut during the regular series and into the playoffs because I'm some kind of jinx, but LFG Rangers! I'm in Dallas and I can hear celebrating all over my neighborhood, even in the rain.

Yessss. I grew up in Texas and even with that lead, I refused to celebrate unti that final out. I couldn't quite believe it! So excited. 

• Like 2