Type keyword(s) to search

MLB Thread

smittykins
  • Start Topic

3 hours ago, xaxat said:

I am! Unfortunately, I have come to the conclusion that Nutting is never going to sell. It wouldn't surprise me if he is the "poorest" owner in the league and the Pirates are his cash cow. 

Yup. He gets all the income,  spends nothing on the players, so..... Mario (Le Magnifique) offered to buy the Pirates and Nutball turned him down.  Asshat.

I'm also a Pens and Steelers fan,  but I'm seriously thinking about abandoning my Buccos. 

1 hour ago, RedElf said:

Clayton Kershaw had thrown 80 pitches after 7 innings of a perfect game, and ... they took him out!

He's no spring chicken, coming off an injury-ridden season and an abbreviated spring training. It sucks, but I'd rather have Kershaw healthy for the season than reinjure himself in his second? start. 

• Love 6

Like when Joe Torre pulled David Cone after throwing seven no-hit innings in his first start after aneurysm surgery.  Yeah, it sucked, but it was for the best(of course, it didn’t hurt that he threw a perfect game three years later).

• Useful 1

I was filling my bird feeders and putting peanuts out and could hear the blue jays shrieking in the trees waiting for me to be done.  I told them they are NOT WELCOME to dine in my yard, especially the bigger blue jay with the long curly blond feathers.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
16 hours ago, RedElf said:

Clayton Kershaw had thrown 80 pitches after 7 innings of a perfect game, and ... they took him out!

We need the angry icon to react to this one!

3 hours ago, mojoween said:

I was filling my bird feeders and putting peanuts out and could hear the blue jays shrieking in the trees waiting for me to be done.  I told them they are NOT WELCOME to dine in my yard, especially the bigger blue jay with the long curly blond feathers.

Vladdy hit 3 home runs in last night's game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We love the Yankees.

On 4/12/2022 at 2:17 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

20 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

He's no spring chicken, coming off an injury-ridden season and an abbreviated spring training. It sucks, but I'd rather have Kershaw healthy for the season than reinjure himself in his second? start. 

Plus he told Roberts that he wanted to be pulled after the 7th inning, and later said it’s more important for them to win the WS and for him to stay healthy instead of a perfect game. Good for him knowing his limits. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, twoods said:

Plus he told Roberts that he wanted to be pulled after the 7th inning, and later said it’s more important for them to win the WS and for him to stay healthy instead of a perfect game. Good for him knowing his limits. 

Or he's playing the good teammate and not throwing his manager under the bus.

• Love 4

Happy Jackie Robinson Day!  I am wearing a 42 Rivera T-shirt in tribute.

Apparently Ken Griffey Jr. was the impetus for everyone wearing a 42 jersey today and that does not surprise me.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 10

I'm still really torn about it. In spirit, I like it, but when I think it through, I'm not sure I do. His number is retired entirely by baseball so no one gets to wear it. Except this one day, then everyone wears it. Plus every year it reminds how much I do actually rely on the numbers on the jerseys when there aren't names to keep track of who is who when you can't see their faces. It's a nice idea but in execution sort of impractical.

8 hours ago, theatremouse said:

I'm still really torn about it. In spirit, I like it, but when I think it through, I'm not sure I do. His number is retired entirely by baseball so no one gets to wear it. Except this one day, then everyone wears it. Plus every year it reminds how much I do actually rely on the numbers on the jerseys when there aren't names to keep track of who is who when you can't see their faces. It's a nice idea but in execution sort of impractical.

I don’t know if all the teams did this today, but the Orioles normally have names on their jerseys, and today it’s just a 42.  That won’t help you identify who is who!

I was annoyed the last time I went to Wrigley Field . . . but I think it was more about checking into the hotel, going straight to the stadium and getting there late over everyone wearing the same number with no names on the backs of the jerseys.

Cleveland had Larry Doby, Jr. catch the first pitch from Tom Hanks.  I got misty.

Interesting fact - When Rickey signed Jackie Robinson he refused to buy out his contract.  Cleveland paid Larry’s team (Newark Eagles) for the right to sign him.

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

What connection does Tom Hanks have with Cleveland? Have I missed something? He grew up in the San Francisco bay area.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/look-tom-hanks-brings-out-wilson-from-cast-away-for-first-pitch-at-cleveland-guardians-home-opener/

The actor was born in California, but started his career by studying theater in Cleveland. Hanks was intern for the Great Lakes Festival in the 1970's, and that's when his love for Cleveland baseball began. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
11 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

What connection does Tom Hanks have with Cleveland? Have I missed something? He grew up in the San Francisco bay area.

When he was starting out in his career, he performed with the Great Lakes Theater, based in Cleveland.  He’s stayed connected to the company over the years and helped them raise funds for a theater renovation.

Great Lakes does a lot of educational outreach and is a very worthy organization, just by the by, so it’s nice that Hanks has stayed connected.  I actually saw a matinee performance of The Glass Menagerie that they staged for school kids when my class took a long-ass field trip to see it.  (Seriously, we barely left town for any field trip that I can ever recall and we drove almost 2 hours for this one!)

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

Nothing quite as exciting as a walk-off walk!

Okay, yes there is, but I'll take it.  

BTW, I may have mentioned this before, but I hate that guy-on-second thing in extras.  What little league bullshit. 

• Love 5

I'm not a fan of that either.  However, nothing close to anything I'm going to sleep over.  No sense on being super pissed about something that was collectively bargained, and then there's the part where people should strive to win in regulation more often than not.

I agree that it and 7 innings doubles was little league nonsense, but I also would prefer for a game to last 2:45 and not 3:15 - 4 or 5 hours

16 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Thanks for the info! I didn't know he got his career start in Cleveland. I just figured he went straight to LA. 😊

Nope, the Great Lakes Shakespeare festival was his first acting gig while he was in college.  He earned his Actor's Equity card here.  Years ago, he did a fundraiser for them and spoke about falling in love with the Indians those summers because he and his friends could go to day games and sit in the bleachers in old Municipal Stadium for just a couple bucks and it was so empty that they could actually lie down on the benches to watch the game.

A few years ago, some of the alums from the GLSF of his era held a reunion in Cleveland.  He came and they all attended an Indians' game.  He also hosted an evening of pizza and beer at his favorite pizza place in Lakewood. A friend's kid worked there and he treated the entire staff wonderfully, posing for dozens of selfies and leaving a very large tip.

I've got a share of season tickets and, as always, the crowd was delighted to see our friend, Tom throw out the first pitch.  Tom loves Cleveland and we love him.  Hanks also did the voiceover on the announcement last year of the name change.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 9

How many games do you normally go to @ebk57

I went last night, got free tickets. It was fun but I almost prefer watching at home now. 

I'll get a couple more free tix later in the season- actually others get them and take me bc they know I'm a baseball nut.

• Love 4

I have the 13 game Sunday plan.  So anytime there's a home game on Sunday, I'm there.  That, and Opening Day, so usually 14 games a season.  Although since they cancelled the first weekend series, I got a refund and this year will be 13 games. 

It's about all I can handle these days.  That, and since I work in The 7th Circle of Hell, I have a really hard time getting to games on weeknights.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, cleo said:

How many games do you normally go to @ebk57

I went last night, got free tickets. It was fun but I almost prefer watching at home now. 

I'll get a couple more free tix later in the season- actually others get them and take me bc they know I'm a baseball nut.

God I used to have a job like that.  HR used to give out tickets to people and then the people always refused them because they'd have to commute home after work and wouldn't stay downtown for a 3 hour game.  Then HR just kept funnelling the tickets to me, the one person who they knew would go to a game 😄

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 2

And now the fun starts...

Alex Cora, Boston Red Sox set to 'plan accordingly' without multiple unvaccinated players in Toronto

Manager Alex Cora said the Boston Red Sox will be without some players for an upcoming series against the Toronto Blue Jays in Canada.

On Monday, Cora announced that catcher Kevin Plawecki and two staff members have tested positive for COVID-19.

Cora said he also expects to be without multiple unvaccinated players.

Starting pitcher Tanner Houck told The Boston Globe on Sunday that he is not vaccinated against COVID-19 and won't pitch during the four-game series beginning April 25. He would have been in line to start the second game.

• Love 1

I read that Houck said he was "bummed" that he would missing a start.

Hmmm, if only there was something he could have done to make sure he could play in every park. 

• Love 20

I'm wondering how many of them will change their minds after spending the first series sitting on their sofas. And especially as games become more important down the stretch. 

I wish all the breathless reporters would note the US has the exact same rule. Rather than bitching and moaning about it the Jays just got vaxxed.

I also wish they would note it was included in the CBA, the same CBA all the players voted overwhelmingly in favour of. 

Edited by cleo
  • Love 5
50 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I read that Houck said he was "bummed" that he would missing a start.

Hmmm, if only there was something he could have done to make sure he could play in every park. 

He said he would do anything to help the team win.  Anything?  This pandemic has sure brought out a lot of Meatloafs-in-training.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 12
2 hours ago, cleo said:

I'm wondering how many of them will change their minds after spending the first series sitting on their sofas. And especially as games become more important down the stretch. 

I wish all the breathless reporters would note the US has the exact same rule. Rather than bitching and moaning about it the Jays just got vaxxed.

I also wish they would note it was included in the CBA, the same CBA all the players voted overwhelmingly in favour of. 

Like this idiot?

Ryan Rucco started the broadcast by saying that Michael Pineda “is a little bit bigger than he was when he was with the Yankees” and I was like jesus Ryan, that’s rude. But.  Then I looked up.  Apparently Michael really looks up to early career CC Sabathia.

Also I will never forgive Michael because the only Yankees game I ever went to was in August 2015, and they lost 6-0 to the Blue Jays, and Pineda gave up a grand slam, and the Blue Jays fans took over the bleachers by Monument Park and were loud and too cheerful.

• LOL 1